PDA

View Full Version : MU ***Official 2011-2012 Mizzou football repository thread***

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Rams Fan
04-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Schedule:

9/3/11 vs Miami(OH)

9/9/11 at Arizona State (Played on a Friday)

9/17/11 vs Western Illinois

9/24/11 at Oklahoma

10/8/11 at Kansas State

10/15/11 vs Iowa State

10/22/11 vs Oklahoma State

10/29/11 at Texas A&M

11/05/11 at Baylor

11/12/11 vs Texas

11/19/11 vs Texas Tech

11/26/11 vs Kansas (at Arrowhead)

Times to be announced except for game against Arizona State, which is at 8:30 PM Central Time.

You know the drill.

OP will be updated at the completion of every game and will be updated with lists of recruits and depth chart before the season begins.

Recruits for the 2012-2013 season:
Jonathan Williams, RB
Donavin Newsom, LB
German Ifedi, OL

KurtCobain
04-16-2011, 06:36 PM
You just need to feel important, don't you?

Mizzou_8541
04-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Good idea, Rams Fan.

luv
04-16-2011, 06:38 PM
This is football, but...

GabeDeArmond Gabe DeArmond
Jonathan Williams, a big-time Texas RB, told PowerMizzou.com he committed to the Tigers.

Williams is rated as the Number 33 player in the state of Texas by Orangebloods.com, up from 60 in previous ranking. #Mizzou

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AlKTccGCK2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Might as well start with this.

KcMizzou
04-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Might as well start with this.Thanks!

And thanks, Rams Fan.

KcMizzou
04-16-2011, 06:49 PM
.From Geoff Ketchum of Orangebloods.com:

33. Jonathan Williams - (Running back/Allen)

If there weren't already a couple of superstar running backs in the state of Texas, there would be a lot more discussion about the 5-11, 205-pound Williams, who was a 2,000-yard rusher for one of the state's top 5A powers and ranks as perhaps the best big running back in Texas. Of course, you have to be careful about the big back stuff because it would typically indicate that a player lacks explosiveness and that's not Williams at all. While he can certainly run between the tackles, break tackles and accumulate a ton of yards after contact, this is a kid that possesses a really sneaky burst that allows him to run away from all defenders once he gets a crease. He's not a guy that has great 40 speed, but when he's in pads and in a game, he runs faster than just about everyone when he needs to. I also love the fact that there's not a lot of wasted motion with Williams, as he gets North/South as quickly as anyone in the state. As if all of that wasn't enough, he's more than capable in the screen game. If there's anything to dislike, he'll expose himself to contact a little openly, but that's correctable. Bottom line is that this is a very talented running back that has the chops to play for any program in the country.

Player he reminds me of: Darrell Scott (Colorado - 2008)
Current offers: Arkansas, Iowa, Missouri and Virginia
Current LSR Rating: 5.7
Previous ranking: 54
Highest ranking: 54 (1/12/11)
Debut ranking: 54 (1/13/11)

duncan_idaho
04-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Exciting news. Great to see Williams get on board (He was starting to receive some major attention from other big, out-of-state schools like Michigan and Notre Dame).

The 2012 class has the potential to be a huge one for the Tigers. I'm not going to hold my breath on Dorial Green, but there is a lot of big-time talent on the board.

My next hope is Ohio QB Maty Mauk. Hopefully, he escapes South Bend, Ind. without a commitment this weekend...

Mizzou_8541
04-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Exciting news. Great to see Williams get on board (He was starting to receive some major attention from other big, out-of-state schools like Michigan and Notre Dame).

The 2012 class has the potential to be a huge one for the Tigers. I'm not going to hold my breath on Dorial Green, but there is a lot of big-time talent on the board.

My next hope is Ohio QB Maty Mauk. Hopefully, he escapes South Bend, Ind. without a commitment this weekend...

Gunner Kiel would be an acceptable back-up plan if Mauk does indeed commit to ND.

duncan_idaho
04-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Gunner Kiel would be an acceptable back-up plan if Mauk does indeed commit to ND.

I think he's going to Oklahoma, but Kiel would be amazing.

Mizzou_8541
04-16-2011, 08:54 PM
I think he's going to Oklahoma, but Kiel would be amazing.

Why do you think that?

duncan_idaho
04-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Why do you think that?

He's spent a lot of time in Norman and is considered to be leaning towards the Sooners.

Honestly, I think if Missouri was picking between Mauk and Kiel, it would prefer Kiel. Better chance at Mauk, though, from what I've heard on PowerMizzou (main comp is Notre Dame).

Mizzou_8541
04-16-2011, 10:08 PM
He's spent a lot of time in Norman and is considered to be leaning towards the Sooners.

Honestly, I think if Missouri was picking between Mauk and Kiel, it would prefer Kiel. Better chance at Mauk, though, from what I've heard on PowerMizzou (main comp is Notre Dame).

Well, we've never had much of a problem cherry picking quality QB's...just ask Bo's Pelini.

Chocolate Hog
04-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Lame.

Sure-Oz
04-17-2011, 02:14 AM
Where is Dorial Green likely to go?

duncan_idaho
04-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Where is Dorial Green likely to go?

Who knows for sure on Green? He's got everybody after him.

Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas and Alabama are the schools you hear the most. I think Ole Miss might be a school to worry about, too. His younger brother has cancer and is being treated in Memphis. Oxford is very close. I think that makes them a factor.

I'd probably lean towards Oklahoma at this time, but the family played it very close to the vest prior to the diagnosis for the little brother. And has been silent since the diagnosis.

He's a hell of a talent, though. Just going to be a lot of competition for him.

kepp
04-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Williams is a nice get and an interesting one, IMO. He doesn't look like the kind of runner we normally go after. He's more of a straight ahead runner...not shifty like Lawrence or Moore. Combine that with the reports from spring ball about changes to the running game and it peaks my interest. Anyways, good to have him.

DJ's left nut
04-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Williams is a nice get and an interesting one, IMO. He doesn't look like the kind of runner we normally go after. He's more of a straight ahead runner...not shifty like Lawrence or Moore. Combine that with the reports from spring ball about changes to the running game and it peaks my interest. Anyways, good to have him.

I've always thought a powerful runner would work better in this scheme.

We run our splits so wide that we spread out the line. Well all that does is make it more difficult to get the edge. One would think it would serve to soften up the interior a bit though in that it pulls the D-lineman out wide.

So if you can have a big body make one cut and explode through the thinned out d-line, that would seem to be more effective than a jitterbug like Josey or Lawrence trying to make 3 guys miss on his way to the corner.

Saul Good
04-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Our splits aren't nearly as wide as they were a few years ago. That may be a function of having Blaine Gabbert versus Chase Daniel, though. We will have a shorter QB next year. I don't know if that means the splits will open up again, though.

DJ's left nut
04-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Our splits aren't nearly as wide as they were a few years ago. That may be a function of having Blaine Gabbert versus Chase Daniel, though. We will have a shorter QB next year. I don't know if that means the splits will open up again, though.

It could also have been a function of watching the big ol' boys on the OU and TX lines pushing our shit in straight up the middle.

Or Yost being incapable of running the offense as Christiansen designed it, so it was watered down to make Yost's tiny little pea-sized brain capable of understanding it. BUBBLE SCREEN FOR THE MOTHAFUCKING WIN!!

I hate you, Dave Yost.

Pitt Gorilla
04-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Great article about Williams from CBS.

http://eye-on-recruiting.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26895818/28613593

Pitt Gorilla
04-19-2011, 11:52 AM
They also had a really nice piece on Missouri football on the ESPN Draft Special (or something like that) yesterday evening. Pinkel was interviewed and they talked mostly about Gabbert. Prior to that, Egnew was discussed as one of the top returning TEs in the country.

The positive publicity for MU football has been incredible.

Pitt Gorilla
04-19-2011, 12:00 PM
A Beautiful Mind

Gabbert front page at Yahoo sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ai1eOAJTo7cNOSMkiNByCjM5nYcB?slug=lc-carpenter_memory_improves_gabbert_stock_041911

|Zach|
04-20-2011, 02:46 AM
<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=6384554"/></object>

Al Bundy
04-20-2011, 08:53 AM
I see the 2010 MU VS OU game will be on ESPNU at 6:30 CST.

Pitt Gorilla
04-20-2011, 07:27 PM
I see the 2010 MU VS OU game will be on ESPNU at 6:30 CST.We've been watching it; it was a great game.

Also, they did a long segment on teams drafting and whether or not they should take a QB. The entire time, Gabbert and Newton highlights played in the background. MU football is getting a lot of positive run right now.

Captain Obvious
04-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Just stumbled upon Gabbert on Gruden's QB camp. Looked good.

KChiefs1
04-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Gruden & Gabbert...quality stuff right there!

kepp
04-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Just stumbled upon Gabbert on Gruden's QB camp. Looked good.

I didn't watch it, but I heard Gruden really tried to rake him over the coals.

tomahawk kid
04-21-2011, 09:29 AM
I didn't watch it, but I heard Gruden really tried to rake him over the coals.

It really wasn't that bad - Gruden definitely found things to pick at, but he really didn't rake him over the coals.

I thought Blaine faired and presented himself very well - and I'm not a huge fan of the kid.

Pitt Gorilla
04-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Awesome article on Missouri's pro day.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/2011/apr/24/now-that-we-have-your-attention/?sports

Pitt Gorilla
05-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Athlon's Top 25: Missouri

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/top-25/missouri

Rams Fan
05-09-2011, 09:56 AM
With the news of T. Gabbert transferring, the Franklin era has officially begun.

eazyb81
05-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Rivals top 100 for 2012 was released today.

Some Mizzou notables:

DGB is #1 (duh)
Kiel #19 (probably between us and OU)
Neal #32 (we're in good shape)
McGee #82 (has us in his top two)

eazyb81
05-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Rivals top 100 for 2012 was released today.

Some Mizzou notables:

DGB is #1 (duh)
Kiel #19 (probably between us and OU)
Neal #32 (we're in good shape)
McGee #82 (has us in his top two)

Full Rivals 250 list released today, adding on to yesterday's top 100 list.

Evan Boehm #130 (between us and OU)
Jonathan Williams #170 (committed to Mizzou)
Armani Reeves #180 (has mentioned Mizzou but no visit so far)
Ondre Pipkins #246 (probably between us, Michigan, and Bama)

eazyb81
05-10-2011, 10:15 AM
If I had to guess, I think we'll land Neal, Pipkins, one of Boehm or McGee, and of course J-Williams.

kepp
05-10-2011, 11:12 AM
If I had to guess, I think we'll land Neal, Pipkins, one of Boehm or McGee, and of course J-Williams.

I heard that Pipkins is a pretty big Michigan/Michigan State lean because that's where he grew up for most of his childhood.

eazyb81
05-10-2011, 01:01 PM
I heard that Pipkins is a pretty big Michigan/Michigan State lean because that's where he grew up for most of his childhood.

Yeah i've heard it too, but this is just my gut feeling based on what I've read.

Chocolate Hog
05-10-2011, 01:04 PM
The state of Missouri is represented pretty well this year in the top 100. I'm honestly surprised Rose isn't in the top 100 after seeing all the offers and reading about his performance at the NIKE Camp.

kepp
05-10-2011, 01:07 PM
The state of Missouri is represented pretty well this year in the top 100. I'm honestly surprised Rose isn't in the top 100 after seeing all the offers and reading about his performance at the NIKE Camp.

What's his status? Is he the one that was committed to NU and backed off?

eazyb81
05-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Eh, outside of NU and USC his offer list isn't that impressive.

If you want to see someone that got robbed, look at Vincent Valentine:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Vincent-Valentine-115377

Chocolate Hog
05-10-2011, 01:10 PM
What's his status? Is he the one that was committed to NU and backed off?

Think he's back to solid. His father wanted him to make sure he made the right choice I read since he committed so early.

Chocolate Hog
05-10-2011, 01:10 PM
FWIW here's the top 250 http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2868

kepp
05-10-2011, 01:20 PM

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Vincent-Valentine-115377

Wow, a 300lb DT with those offers isn't rated?

Chocolate Hog
05-10-2011, 01:29 PM
That is a big ass kid.

KcMizzou
05-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Really good read....

NCAA
Will Tyler Gabbert’s Transfer Affect the Missouri Tigers?
Hank Koebler
By Hank Koebler
NFL Writer
May 9th, 2011

Missouri football coach Gary Pinkel announced Monday morning that redshirt freshman quarterback Tyler Gabbert will transfer next year.

Gabbert, whose older brother Blaine was drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars last week, left to pursue what his father Chuck described to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch as “an opportunity to compete and vie for a starting position.”

“There are other factors that went into this decision that we’re not going to discuss with the press,” Chuck Gabbert told the Columbia Missourian’s Dave Matter.

The Post-Dispatch’s article listed Nebraska, where Gabbert initially committed, and Louisville, where former Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson is the quarterbacks coach, as the most likely landing spots for Gabbert.

Wherever Gabbert transfers, NCAA rules will render him ineligible to play for another year. For Gabbert to sacrifice a year of eligibility just for a chance to start suggests that he didn’t think he had a very good shot of beating rising sophomore James Franklin for the starting position. Although Gabbert was a local media favorite, the results of Missouri’s spring Black and Gold scrimmage made it clear that Franklin was too good to sit on the bench.

While Gabbert’s playing style very closely resembles that of his older brother, there are some minor differences as well. For example, Tyler has a much better (and quicker) release than Blaine, but is slightly less accurate. Both players have similar straight-line speed, but Tyler’s acceleration, though not impressive, is a bit better than Blaine’s.

Where both players are most similar, and where Franklin is far superior, is their pocket presence. The Gabbert brothers both continue to drop farther back in the pocket when pressured, and eventually tend to get forced out of the pocket too far behind the line of scrimmage to pick up yards with a scramble. Franklin does a much better job stepping up in the pocket, allowing him to evade rushers and, if necessary, tuck the ball and run.

In the Black and Gold game, Franklin started on the second-team offense, and completed 13 of 18 passes for two touchdowns and no interceptions. Gabbert, who started on the first-team offense, completed 8 of 22 passes for no touchdowns and the game’s only interception. The statistics show a stark difference in the two quarterbacks’ level of performance, but watching the game made it even more apparent. Despite having an assortment of skill-position players such as T.J. Moe and Wes Kemp, the Tigers’ first-string offense was stagnant, but the second-string team offense moved the ball well. When Franklin was inserted into the first-string lineup, he immediately provided a jump-start, completing 5 of 7 passes for 57 yards and a touchdown on his first drive with the first-string offense.

One area of Franklin’s game that will greatly help the Tigers’ offense take the next step and become more multidimensional. They moved the ball well last year, but struggled with finishing drives and scoring from within the red zone. A large part of Missouri’s redzone struggles last season stemmed from an inability to run in the red zone. The Tigers’ offensive system frequently uses zone reads, and although Blaine Gabbert was fast enough to pick up the occasional first down with his legs on broken passing plays, he lacked the initial burst and acceleration to be a dangerous threat when keeping the ball on zone read plays. With Franklin’s speed, defenses will have to account for two different runners, both heading in opposite directions, when either one could have the ball. The run game will improve tremendously as a result of Franklin’s speed, which will eventually cause defenses to commit fewer players to pass defense in order to stop the run.

While it’s far too early to speculate on Franklin’s potential for an NFL career, it is not to early to say that he has the potential to have a better college career than Blaine Gabbert did. In fact, with his speed and his arm, Franklin is the ideal fit for Missouri’s system, and could become even more exciting of a player than former Missouri quarterback Brad Smith. Between the spring game performances of Franklin and rising sophomore Ashton Glaser, who displayed laser-like accuracy, there is great depth at Missouri’s quarterback position, and the Tigers won’t miss a beat after losing both of the Gabbert brothers.

http://thexlog.com/201105092119/xtra-point-football/ncaa/will-tyler-gabbert%E2%80%99s-transfer-affect-the-missouri-tigers/

eazyb81
05-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Gunner Kiel, the #1 overall QB in the 2012 class, is on campus today.

Time to close him Pinkel....

kcchiefsus
05-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Gunner Kiel, the #1 overall QB in the 2012 class, is on campus today.

Time to close him Pinkel....

I like our chances with either him or Maty Mauk. I would be happy with either one.

eazyb81
05-16-2011, 11:09 AM
I like our chances with either him or Maty Mauk. I would be happy with either one.

Yeah it's basically a Chase Daniel type or Gabbert type.

Kiel is a legit pro style QB and is a top 20 overall prospect like Gabbert was. He has the talent to be a top 10 draft pick in a few years.

Mauk is shattering high school passing records in a spread offense tailored for him, but like Daniel his height will keep him from being a 1st round draft pick and an elite 5 star prospect out of high school.

kepp
05-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah it's basically a Chase Daniel type or Gabbert type.

Kiel is a legit pro style QB and is a top 20 overall prospect like Gabbert was. He has the talent to be a top 10 draft pick in a few years.

Mauk is shattering high school passing records in a spread offense tailored for him, but like Daniel his height will keep him from being a 1st round draft pick and an elite 5 star prospect out of high school.

How mobile is Kiel? If he's more of a pocket passer, I'd probably rather have Mauk.

eazyb81
05-27-2011, 09:29 AM
BIG TIME visitor on campus today....

Saul Good
05-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Who?

eazyb81
05-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Dorial Green-Beckham.

Word is that the family may make a decision soon.

siberian khatru
05-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Dorial Green-Beckham.

Word is that the family may make a decision soon.

He would be a phenomenal get for the program, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Saul Good
05-27-2011, 09:45 AM
What does his list look like?

siberian khatru
05-27-2011, 09:46 AM

Virtually every powerhouse.

He's the No. 1 recruit in the nation.

eazyb81
05-27-2011, 09:47 AM

Depends on who you ask because his family is not talking.

But Mizzou sources say it is down to Mizzou, OU, and Bama. His dad is a football coach in Springfield and his little brother has Leukemia, so most seem to believe that picking up the family and moving to Alabama is unlikely.

Saul Good
05-27-2011, 10:03 AM
When is he visiting KU?

eazyb81
05-27-2011, 10:14 AM
I believe he is planning to grab a burger at The Wheel on his way to visit Norman.

Pitt Gorilla
05-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Depends on who you ask because his family is not talking.

But Mizzou sources say it is down to Mizzou, OU, and Bama. His dad is a football coach in Springfield and his little brother has Leukemia, so most seem to believe that picking up the family and moving to Alabama is unlikely.It really is amazing to see Mizzou make Top 3s for the top recruits in the country. Kiel and Mauk are both top QBs and MU should land one of them. DGB and Neal are incredible WR targets and MU is in good standing with both. Pipkins will be a top DT recruit and MU is in great shape with him. It's amazing how Pinkel and co. have turned MU into a great program.

Chocolate Hog
05-27-2011, 12:00 PM
It really is amazing to see Mizzou make Top 3s for the top recruits in the country. Kiel and Mauk are both top QBs and MU should land one of them. DGB and Neal are incredible WR targets and MU is in good standing with both. Pipkins will be a top DT recruit and MU is in great shape with him. It's amazing how Pinkel and co. have turned MU into a great program.

LMAO

eazyb81
05-27-2011, 12:19 PM
LMAO

:LOL:

40 wins in 4 years. Top 20 finishes in 3 of the last 4 years.

Yeah, we suck.

eazyb81
05-27-2011, 12:22 PM
It really is amazing to see Mizzou make Top 3s for the top recruits in the country. Kiel and Mauk are both top QBs and MU should land one of them. DGB and Neal are incredible WR targets and MU is in good standing with both. Pipkins will be a top DT recruit and MU is in great shape with him. It's amazing how Pinkel and co. have turned MU into a great program.

What is crazy is that we have had our success the last 5 years or so with only mid-level talent. If we step up our recruiting level, we could be in for a very nice run.

I thought Mizzou would land only one of the DGB, Kiel, Neal trio, but landing all three is a decent possibility.

Reaper16
05-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Mizzou isn't a great program. Unless we dilute the meaning of the word "great." Mizzou's program has become quite good, but there probably needs to be some BCS success (Hell, even some BCS losses) before it can be considered great.

kepp
05-27-2011, 12:25 PM
I hope that Kiel and DGB aren't a chicken-and-the-egg situation...each waiting to see what the other does. I have no idea if they've ever even talked, but you know they're interested in each other's decision.

bowener
05-27-2011, 12:32 PM
DGB... yes please!

I have a thing for enormous, fast, and talented wide receivers. DGB could make everyone forget about Megatron.

edit:

In 3 years, trade Bowe, draft this kid to play opposite of Baldwin.

Reerun_KC
05-27-2011, 01:19 PM
12-0 or 11-1 pretty easy schedule this year for MU... Should be in the top 5 most of the season and odds on favorite for a Big 12 Championship.

BCS bowl or NC game...

should be a good ride for tigger fans...

eazyb81
05-27-2011, 01:29 PM
12-0 or 11-1 pretty easy schedule this year for MU... Should be in the top 5 most of the season and odds on favorite for a Big 12 Championship.

BCS bowl or NC game...

should be a good ride for tigger fans...

How dumb are you?

OU is consensus preseason #1. OU, OSU, and A&M will be ranked ahead of Mizzou to start the year. Remember, we just lost our 1st round draft pick QB. We will still be top 20 to start the year though.

Passive aggressive flaming comes off weak when it is not even accurate.

Chocolate Hog
05-28-2011, 11:23 AM
So which 1 of you is selling their Bowl rings?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/spo/2407231808.html

warpaint*
05-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Mizzou isn't a great program. Unless we dilute the meaning of the word "great." Mizzou's program has become quite good, but there probably needs to be some BCS success (Hell, even some BCS losses) before it can be considered great.

Pinkel's done a great job of building the program thus far (and it appears to be tracking upward still) but you are right, it isn't great.

0 championships to date.

warpaint*
05-28-2011, 02:08 PM
How dumb are you?

OU is consensus preseason #1. OU, OSU, and A&M will be ranked ahead of Mizzou to start the year. Remember, we just lost our 1st round draft pick QB. We will still be top 20 to start the year though.

Passive aggressive flaming comes off weak when it is not even accurate.

I see eight wins

a loss (at OU)

and three others that are up for grabs (at aTm, oSu, at ASU)

Assuming Franklin ends up being pretty good. I am giving Pinkel benefit of the doubt there based on his track record but obviously it remains to be seen.

beer bacon
05-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Eight wins is a negative outlook. We are going to pound A&M like Pinkel always does. I don't buy into their type. Their QB was mediocre against everyone but the patsies.

The biggest question for MU is not Franklin, but depth at DT and LB. I think we have much better depth at DT this year, and that should help us quite a bit as the season goes on.

Nine wins at a minimum with a very good shot at another double digit win season.

|Zach|
05-28-2011, 02:54 PM
I think this is a tough year to predict. I feel good about where the team is at but I simply don't know what that means.

Sure-Oz
05-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Beckham is what Randy Moss or TO?

Pitt Gorilla
05-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Beckham is what Randy Moss or TO?Beckham IS visiting Mizzou this weekend.

kepp
05-28-2011, 03:49 PM
The biggest question for MU is not Franklin, but depth at DT and LB. I think we have much better depth at DT this year, and that should help us quite a bit as the season goes on.

I'm getting less optimistic about this because Sheldon Richardson still hasn't qualified. IMO, if he had, the staff would be jumping for joy and making announcements. It may just be my negativity, but I don't see him ever suiting up for the Tigers.

warpaint*
05-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Eight wins is a negative outlook. We are going to pound A&M like Pinkel always does. I don't buy into their type. Their QB was mediocre against everyone but the patsies.

Nine wins at a minimum with a very good shot at another double digit win season.

Perhaps I wasn't articulate enough. I am not predicting 8 wins.

I see 8 games I expect to win.
I see 3 others that could go either way (They aren't losing or winning all 3 of those).

And then of course OU, which I expect us to lose down there.

Which leaves me at 9 or 10 wins, same as you.

Franklin is the most important question at the most important position considering the offense.

warpaint*
05-28-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm getting less optimistic about this because Sheldon Richardson still hasn't qualified. IMO, if he had, the staff would be jumping for joy and making announcements. It may just be my negativity, but I don't see him ever suiting up for the Tigers.

Ya at this point I'll believe it when I see him in fall camp.

I guess he's dumb as a post....allegedly.

beer bacon
05-28-2011, 04:31 PM

I am optimistic that Vincent and Foster will be able to do a better job this year backing up Hamilton and Resonno than Burge and Donaldson did last season. If Sheldon doesn't make it to campus it will definitely hurt.

beer bacon
05-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Perhaps I wasn't articulate enough. I am not predicting 8 wins.

I see 8 games I expect to win.
I see 3 others that could go either way (They aren't losing or winning all 3 of those).

And then of course OU, which I expect us to lose down there.

Which leaves me at 9 or 10 wins, same as you.

Franklin is the most important question at the most important position considering the offense.

Yeap, I misunderstood. I am in the same boat as you as far as wins.

A new QB would normally be my top concern except for a few things.

Pinkel has done a great job with his QBs where ever he has coached. That earns him some trust. We also appear to finally have a good defense. Franklin also has some great tools at his disposal.

1) One of the top OLs in the Big 12. Both guards and tackles are returning from last season. Hoch and Fisher will be three year starters.

2) A stable of capable running backs. There probably isn't a Daniel Thomas in this group, but our first four RBs all averaged over five yards a carry last season.

1) A pair of fantastic possession receivers. This will be a huge boon for the young QB.

Gabbert had some great performances last season, but overall it was a pretty average season. That was in part due to our defense. Chase Daniel had to go into every game with the mentality that he had to score on every possession to guarantee a win. Gabbert had some mediocre performances last season, but the opposing team couldn't score, so it didn't matter a whole lot.

If Hamilton, Ebner, and Lambert clog up the middle as they did last season before the injuries started to mount, our defense should have another great season. If our defense takes a step back, the pressure will build on Franklin to take over games, and we will be in trouble.

Pitt Gorilla
06-01-2011, 11:26 PM
DGB "blown away" by Missouri visit, per PowerMizzou.

kepp
06-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Sheldon Richardson supposedly able to enroll for second summer session in July. Brandon Hannah, however, headed to JUCO. - http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/article_ead4ba52-1e14-50b8-b3cc-beb8c7e04276.html

Pitt Gorilla
06-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Great article on Pinkel and some quotes from Boehm.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/06/07/2934812/pinkel-remains-at-home-at-mizzou.html

Pitt Gorilla
06-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Linebacker Donavin Newsom commits to Mizzou!

He also had offers from Iowa, Nebraska, Tennessee, Michigan State, Minnesota, Kansas State, Illinois, Wisconsin, and others. Great pickup for MU.

DJ's left nut
06-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Linebacker Donavin Newsom commits to Mizzou!

He also had offers from Iowa, Nebraska, Tennessee, Michigan State, Minnesota, Kansas State, Illinois, Wisconsin, and others. Great pickup for MU.

He's a nice get, but he'd have been a worse loss, if that makes any sense.

This is the kind of kid that we can't lose from in-state if we have any hope of being a consistently strong program. He's local, he fits our scheme and he plays a position where we'll need talent soon so he's not going to have PT issues if he's any good. To have lost out on him to a program like Arkansas would have said some pretty lousy stuff about the program.

Getting him locked up is kinda like KC winning that Buffalo game last season: I'm glad we got the win, but mostly relived that we didn't take the loss.

Still glad to have him though, you can never have too many athletic linebackers. MU may be considered a "QB school" at this point, but we're not doing too bad for ourselves with LBs, DEs or WRs at this point either. MU is absolutely a place where a LB can go to make a name for himself and play at the next level. I think the fact that we're bringing in **** recruits with more regularity speaks to that.

jbwm89
06-08-2011, 01:03 PM
I am optimistic that Vincent and Foster will be able to do a better job this year backing up Hamilton and Resonno than Burge and Donaldson did last season. If Sheldon doesn't make it to campus it will definitely hurt.

Hey don't count Donaldson out, he is the strongest guy on the team. (and obviously a good friend)

Pitt Gorilla
06-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Hey don't count Donaldson out, he is the strongest guy on the team. (and obviously a good friend)Love Donaldson. He has a great motor.

jbwm89
06-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Love Donaldson. He has a great motor.

He was big when he left high school but the kid is huge now. Highest bench of the team since Ziggy left.

Pitt Gorilla
06-08-2011, 01:18 PM
He was big when he left high school but the kid is huge now. Highest bench of the team since Ziggy left.It's his squat that will get him PT.

jbwm89
06-08-2011, 01:26 PM
It's his squat that will get him PT.

I think he might be high man on the team for squat as well. I wasn't sure and I didn't want to get called out and publicly humiliated on the planet.

Pitt Gorilla
06-08-2011, 01:27 PM
I think he might be high man on the team for squat as well. I wasn't sure and I didn't want to get called out and publicly humiliated on the planet.I have no idea either. He will likely be in the rotation this year, though, which should be sick. Everyone should be back plus Vincent and Big Shel.

Pitt Gorilla
06-08-2011, 01:29 PM
And Neal commits to OU. That really sucks.

DJ's left nut
06-08-2011, 01:33 PM
And Neal commits to OU. That really sucks.

I choose to believe that he did that because he knew DGB was Missouri-bound and he didn't want to have to fight him for #1 WR status.

So really this is good news....

(shit)

eazyb81
06-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Neal is a kid that LOVES being recruited. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is not the last we hear of his recruitment.

He was supposedly going to narrow his list down (to something like 7 or 10), and then commits to OU on the spot?

He has always said he wants to be Maclin - maybe he's taking it literally.

siberian khatru
06-08-2011, 02:12 PM
I choose to believe that he did that because he knew DGB was Missouri-bound and he didn't want to have to fight him for #1 WR status.

(shit)

Watch OU wrap up Neal, Kiel and DGB in one nice package.

Trevo_410
06-08-2011, 08:59 PM
not that bad of a day. got donovin newsome the lb from stl today.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Donavin-Newsom-122186

tbh, i think we already got to much depth at wr and another good wr recruit possible couldve hurt our chances on getting dgb.

eazyb81
06-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Could hear some good news from Mikey Scherer tomorrow. Let's cross our fingers.

eazyb81
06-09-2011, 06:03 AM
Strong rumor that 2012 #1 PG Rodney Purvis is visiting campus this weekend. This is the stud that decommitted from Louisville after Fuller left and who lives with our first 2013 recruit, Tyrek Coger.

Obviously, he would be a HUGE get for Haith and staff. I can't think of a prior Mizzou commit that was ranked higher.

Pitt Gorilla
06-09-2011, 08:32 PM
TX OL Germain Ifedi commits to Mizzou!

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 08:34 PM
TX OL Germain Ifedi commits to Mizzou!

Whats up with the kid from Lees Summit? Heard it was down to Mizzou, Nebraska, and I wanna say Alabama?

KurtCobain
06-09-2011, 08:36 PM

Heh. Good try.

Pitt Gorilla
06-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Whats up with the kid from Lees Summit? Heard it was down to Mizzou, Nebraska, and I wanna say Alabama?I've heard next to nothing about it.

Shouldn't you be taking another shot at my education?

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 08:40 PM
I've heard next to nothing about it.

Shouldn't you be taking another shot at my education?

Haha did I hurt your feelings?

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Player: Evan Boehm
Hometown: Lee's Summit, MO
School: Lee's Summit West HS
Position: OG
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 290
40 time:
Scholarships: Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma

Rivals:
Scout:
ESPN:
247:

Pitt Gorilla
06-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Haha did I hurt your feelings?Given the relative importance of my undergraduate degree, no.

Mizzou_8541
06-09-2011, 09:39 PM
40 time:

Rivals:
Scout:
ESPN:
247:

I think I recall him being an OU lean. Not that bein a "lean" really means much.

KChiefs1
06-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Could hear some good news from Mikey Scherer tomorrow. Let's cross our fingers.

Stanford or Mizzou.

I like MU's chances.

Trevo_410
06-09-2011, 10:28 PM
meh,,, i dont know if we need another lb in sherer. we already got 3 *** lb recruits for this next year. adding another *** lb would be awesome but we need to focus on other positions. just sayin.

Wickedson2.0
06-10-2011, 02:31 AM
Mizzou landing some quality players lately in both football and bball.

Looking forward to the games against ya'll...

duncan_idaho
06-10-2011, 05:53 AM
meh,,, i dont know if we need another lb in sherer. we already got 3 *** lb recruits for this next year. adding another *** lb would be awesome but we need to focus on other positions. just sayin.

Scherer could also play DE in college. Just depends on the projection, how much "good" weight he adds, and how his strength develops.

Kuliogowski probably would turn him into a monster at DE.

eazyb81
06-10-2011, 06:02 AM

We only have 2 LB recruits so far this year, Golden and Newsome, and Golden is a JUCO. Scherer is a high 3/low 4 star from in-state and is a huge Mizzou fan, you don't turn those kids away. I think he could be a big recruiter for us too if he commits.

kepp
06-10-2011, 09:21 AM
What about Maty Mauk? Has he given any hints as to what he might decide?

Pitt Gorilla
06-10-2011, 09:59 AM
I think I recall him being an OU lean. Not that bein a "lean" really means much.It appears to be down to Oklahoma and Mizzou, with Mizzou leading by a bit.

Mizzou_8541
06-10-2011, 10:03 AM
It appears to be down to Oklahoma and Mizzou, with Mizzou leading by a bit.

That would be one fine interior line class with him and Ifedi (sp?).

Trevo_410
06-10-2011, 10:07 AM
We only have 2 LB recruits so far this year, Golden and Newsome, and Golden is a JUCO. Scherer is a high 3/low 4 star from in-state and is a huge Mizzou fan, you don't turn those kids away. I think he could be a big recruiter for us too if he commits.

ahh yeh forgot that golden was a juco xD. though, looking at the rivals site, i do think by the end of his career boozer will play linebacker with the frame he has now at 6'3" 210; a couple sites were saying we were actually recruiting him as a lb when he committed. but yeh definantly agree now on going all in with sherer.

ChiefsOne
06-10-2011, 10:29 AM
That Rivals list for Dorial has not been updated. He has visited Mizzou and Arkansas. Pinkel and Andy Hill (receivers coach) are here all the time courting him. It's crazy, lots of scouts and head coaches come to his basketball games and track meets.

eazyb81
06-10-2011, 11:43 AM
That Rivals list for Dorial has not been updated. He has visited Mizzou and Arkansas. Pinkel and Andy Hill (receivers coach) are here all the time courting him. It's crazy, lots of scouts and head coaches come to his basketball games and track meets.

Yeah, Mizzou OC David Yost said he thinks he's been to more of Dorial's basketball games than his football games.

I am guardedly optimistic on DGB to Mizzou......

Trevo_410
06-10-2011, 12:17 PM
IF he does come to mizzou,

Would he be our best recruit in mizzou football history?

kepp
06-10-2011, 12:19 PM

Easily. By ranking/hype, at least.

ChiefsCountry
06-10-2011, 01:03 PM

Ever heard of Tony VanZant?

ChiefsOne
06-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Yeah, Mizzou OC David Yost said he thinks he's been to more of Dorial's basketball games than his football games.

Yes, I'm optimistic too, but I just have a weird feeling that he won't go to Mizzou. Hopefully he will want to be close to his adopted family/friends here. He's a man though, has been since 7th grade!

Pitt Gorilla
06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
LB Michael Scherer commits to Mizzou! He chose MU over offers from Stanford, Boston College, Iowa, Nebaraska and others.

Mizzou_8541
06-10-2011, 05:14 PM
LB Michael Scherer commits to Mizzou! He chose MU over offers from Stanford, Boston College, Iowa, Nebaraska and others.

Sherer + Newsom + Golden = A lot to like with the future linebacking corps. Getting excited about this class.

Mizzou_8541
06-10-2011, 05:15 PM

What's the opposite of guardedly optimistic? That what I am. I am pleasantly pessimistic on DGB.

|Zach|
06-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Seems like things are on the up and up.

Pitt Gorilla
06-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Scherer rocking the Mizzou gear after announcing to his teammates.
http://www.ksdk.com/genthumb/genthumb.ashx?e=1&h=220&w=294&i=/assetpool/images/110610071118_Still0610_00000.jpg

http://www.highschoolsports.net/local/STLouis/Bleachers/?bctid=987477451001

KcMizzou
06-10-2011, 05:59 PM
LB Michael Scherer commits to Mizzou! He chose MU over offers from Stanford, Boston College, Iowa, Nebaraska and others.Big get? I don't know anything about him.

Trevo_410
06-10-2011, 09:14 PM
http://twitpic.com/59tlm0

lol thats not zavier gooden....

Mizzou_8541
06-11-2011, 07:50 AM
http://twitpic.com/59tlm0

lol thats not zavier gooden....

WTF? How do they confuse Gooden with Gettys? LMAO

|Zach|
06-11-2011, 08:57 AM
That auto starting movie and all auto starting movies are completely obnoxious.

Trevo_410
06-11-2011, 08:59 AM
That auto starting movie and all auto starting movies are completely obnoxious.

point taken

|Zach|
06-11-2011, 09:02 AM
point taken

You suddenly rock now.
:thumb:

Al Bundy
06-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Confirmed that @rpurvis_44 is in Columbia for an unofficial visit to #Mizzou this weekend.

KChiefs1
06-11-2011, 10:42 PM
I've heard Gunner Kiel is announcing tomorrow.

KcMizzou
06-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Confirmed that @rpurvis_44 is in Columbia for an unofficial visit to #Mizzou this weekend.Alright, alriiiiight.

/McConaughey style.

Pitt Gorilla
06-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Confirmed that @rpurvis_44 is in Columbia for an unofficial visit to #Mizzou this weekend.Haith is landing solid recruits and getting HUGE recruits to visit. Why didn't people like this guy?!?

KcMizzou
06-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Haith is landing solid recruits and getting HUGE recruits to visit. Why didn't people like this guy?!?Supposedly, he can't coach for shit. (good recruiter though) /obvious.

Reaper16
06-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Haith is landing solid recruits and getting HUGE recruits to visit. Why didn't people like this guy?!?
Because he coaches like a fucking re-re.

Pitt Gorilla
06-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Because he coaches like a ****ing re-re.You don't think there is an assistant that can help with that? Haith/Fuller will get the players; somebody else can assist with the X's and O's.

KcMizzou
06-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Because he coaches like a ****ing re-re.We'll see. I'm gonna give the guy a chance.

Mizzou_8541
06-11-2011, 11:24 PM
I've heard Gunner Kiel is announcing tomorrow.

I believe he postponed.

KChiefs1
06-13-2011, 09:46 PM
40 time:

Rivals:
Scout:
ESPN:
247:

Internet rumor is that he will be announcing tomorrow. Any truth to this?

Chocolate Hog
06-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Internet rumor is that he will be announcing tomorrow. Any truth to this?

I haven't heard anything on the Nebraska boards about an announcement. I think he's Mizzou's to lose anyway being from Missouri and his mom is a Mizzou graduate.

duncan_idaho
06-13-2011, 10:45 PM
I haven't heard anything on the Nebraska boards about an announcement. I think he's Mizzou's to lose anyway being from Missouri and his mom is a Mizzou graduate.

Well... I'd expect the news to come from either an OU or Mizzou board. Since those are his far and away top two.

Sooner board freaked out earlier today because Boehm wouldn't answer the phone for Sooner recruiting reporters...

kcchiefsus
06-13-2011, 10:55 PM

Mizzou or Oklahoma for sure, Nebraska was never in it.

Chocolate Hog
06-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Mizzou or Oklahoma for sure, Nebraska was never in it.

This is certainly news. As of June 8th @JNewbergESPN Evan Boehm [Lee Summit West, Mo] will visit Missouri next Tuesday. He would also like to visit AU, Ala, Oklahoma, Iowa and Neb this summer.

Chocolate Hog
06-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Wheres everyone seeing that Mizzou & OU were his top 2 chooses? Rivals said he had 3 included Nebraska. They've been slacking i'm starting to think it's not worth paying for this shit.

duncan_idaho
06-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Wheres everyone seeing that Mizzou & OU were his top 2 chooses? Rivals said he had 3 included Nebraska. They've been slacking i'm starting to think it's not worth paying for this shit.

Premium board info from OU and Missouri sites. Nebraska has never been a serious contender, from anything I've seen.

Pitt Gorilla
06-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Tomorrow (today!) could be a very interesting day.

Midway Chief
06-14-2011, 06:15 AM
Tweet from Evan Boehm. Interesting:

@evan_commited77
Evan Boehm
Had a good night! Off to CoMo for #EvanBoehmDay!

eazyb81
06-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Boehm would be a huge get for this program. We have to continue stacking the trenches with talent if we want to seriously compete with OU, TX, and A&M on a yearly basis.

It sucks to lose Neal, but if we land all the other top in-state talent we will be in amazing shape.

eazyb81
06-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Nice.

@rpurvis_44: I miss the Mizzou bros already !!!!!

Midway Chief
06-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Updated Tweet from Boehm. Doesn't look like a decision will come today.

evan_commited77 Evan Boehm by GabeDeArmond
Some people really need to calm down! I will commit when I am rwady to commit.... so it will come when it will just wait, I don't even know!

Great Expectations
06-14-2011, 09:26 AM

Boehm was ready to commit to OU a few months ago, his parents are both MU grads and wanted him to wait. They want him to go to MU. Looks to be a tough call for Evan as he wants one thing and his parents another.

Chocolate Hog
06-14-2011, 02:49 PM
You guys picked up a CB today from Louisiana that we had offered. Can't find his star rating.

NM. 3 star.

Pitt Gorilla
06-14-2011, 03:05 PM
You guys picked up a CB today from Louisiana that we had offered. Can't find his star rating.

NM. 3 star.Kentrell Brice. Great pickup for Mizzou.

Pitt Gorilla
06-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Mizzou also lands Earnest Ross, a SG transfer from Auburn.

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Mizzou also lands Earnest Ross, a SG transfer from Auburn.

There's a nice pickup.

The backcourt desperately lacked athletes with legitimate size. A 6'5'' 2 guard to play alongside the Presseys and Dixons in the program will be a huge help.

He also progressed a great deal down the stretch last year. I wonder if they won't try to get him some minutes at the 3 (with both Pressey and Denmon on the floor with him; maybe slide Kim down to an undersized 4...EDIT: Scratch that, Kim will be gone by the time the 1 year wait is over)

Good pickup, probably one of the better transfer players available. Almost like an Albert White redux.

eazyb81
06-14-2011, 03:18 PM
AND BOEHM GOES THE DYNAMITE

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Kentrell Brice. Great pickup for Mizzou.

Great's a little strong, but a solid one certainly.

Not sure he won't end up at safety before all is said and done. Seems a little thick to play on an island.

Mizzou_8541
06-14-2011, 03:23 PM
AND BOEHM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Are you serious??? PBJPBJPBJ Is this on PowerMizzou?

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 03:30 PM
ESPN Eval on Brice:

Brice is a tall and rangy cornerback prospect with the height, length and athleticism out on the perimeter that is coveted. Could be falling under the radar at this time due to those attributes. Speed is good not great but he pursues and closes fast. Instinctive, understands coverages and is versatile in both man and zone schemes. As an underneath defender he reads the quarterback accurately, levels off and soundly anticipates the pass. Quick out of his breaks and does a very good job jumping routes and closing the cushion fast. Flashes good first-step burst out of pedal. Needs to sharpen his footwork and become cleaner transitioning but he can flip his hips and turn to run with faster receivers in man and recovery quickly with inside positioning aided by his good arm length. Best asset may be his jump-ball defense skills. This guy is an athletic leaper who does a great job with the timing of his jump. Positions himself correctly between the ball and demonstrates great high-point and ball skills. Needs to continue filling out but is active and aggressive on perimeter run and pass support and shows some pop from his hips as a tackler. Shows solid strength breaking the stalk block and overall good underneath pursuit speed and range. We do feel like he will need to continue building upper-body strength and add size to remain effective as an underneath player, in press, for positioning on the jump-ball and if he makes the transition to safety where his speed and hips may be better suited. Would like to see him sharpen his footwork and become smoother working out of a pedal. Has some areas to refine. Overall, Brice is still an underrated defensive back prospect with the good blend of size, range and athleticism that is currently being overlooked on the recruiting trail.

Sounds like he'd be a great FS.

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 03:32 PM

From a Tweet by Justin Britt.

Not sure why an obscure lineman would have the inside scoop on this, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Edit: Evidently Matter just did the same, but he's been wrong before (and is re-tweeting). I'd have to think Mizzou fans should know better than go too crazy about this stuff too soon.

kepp
06-14-2011, 03:33 PM

I don't see news about it anywhere.

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 03:37 PM
I don't see news about it anywhere.

Twitter's going off about it and Matter is MU's beat writer in Columbia. He's usually a pretty solid source.

But again - no way am I getting excited after the Painter fiasco.

kepp
06-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Twitter's going off about it and Matter is MU's beat writer in Columbia. He's usually a pretty solid source.

But again - no way am I getting excited after the Painter fiasco.

Yep...I just saw that a few seconds ago. Hopefully its true.

eazyb81
06-14-2011, 03:40 PM

Yeah, Gabe confirmed it is legit. He is waiting to talk to the family before running with a full front page story.

eazyb81
06-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Boehm's offer list is staggering:

Arkansas, Auburn, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, etc....

HUGE get - you simply can't let a kid like this leave the state. Strong trenches are more important than skill players.

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
It still seems a little surprising to me that everyone's this fired up about getting a guard/center.

I guess it speaks to an understanding of what our program needs, but it still seems strange to me that after years upon years of seeing "Get interior lineman late in the draft!!!" during the draft threads, some folks are about ready to pee themselves at the prospect of getting an in-state guard prospect.

Great player, one of the premier gets in our class, but ultimately he's still just a guard on a team that doesn't utilize the interior power game that much.

Just a strange bit of euphoria, that's all. People seem more excited about who we took him away from (Neb, ND, etc...) than what he'll actually do for Mizzou.

Pitt Gorilla
06-14-2011, 03:44 PM

HUGE get - you simply can't let a kid like this leave the state. Strong trenches are more important than skill players.It appears Alabama had offered as well.

eazyb81
06-14-2011, 03:45 PM
It still seems a little surprising to me that everyone's this fired up about getting a guard/center.

I guess it speaks to an understanding of what our program needs, but it still seems strange to me that after years upon years of seeing "Get interior lineman late in the draft!!!" during the draft threads, some folks are about ready to pee themselves at the prospect of getting an in-state guard prospect.

Great player, one of the premier gets in our class, but ultimately he's still just a guard on a team that doesn't utilize the interior power game that much.

Just a strange bit of euphoria, that's all. People seem more excited about who we took him away from (Neb, ND, etc...) than what he'll actually do for Mizzou.

Jeez dude, can't you just be happy? We're Mizzou, not Alabama.

It's pretty exciting for most of us to get the 3rd best player in the state and a top 130 overall player at a position of need.

kepp
06-14-2011, 03:48 PM

I was thinking along these lines earlier. If I were a lineman with NFL aspirations, I can see better places to go in his offer list. But hey, I'm glad to have him.

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Jeez dude, can't you just be happy? We're Mizzou, not Alabama.

It's pretty exciting for most of us to get the 3rd best player in the state and a top 130 overall player at a position of need.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to see us locking up our borders and keeping most of our premier talent.

I've only been a little surprised by the degree of excitement he has brought with him. I mean getting Boehm is not quite even to the level of getting Hoch (who was considered a better talent when we stole him out of Iowa). Ultimately Hoch has been a very nice lineman for us, but has anyone considered him a guy that's going to make/break us?

Again - very happy and I'm loving where the program is going. It's just that the excitement level for this particular player seems a little beyond what I would have expected.

Mizzou_8541
06-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Nationally, #3 guard, # 130 overall. That is definitely something to get excited about.

Mizzou_8541
06-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to see us locking up our borders and keeping most of our premier talent.

I've only been a little surprised by the degree of excitement he has brought with him. I mean getting Boehm is not quite even to the level of getting Hoch (who was considered a better talent when we stole him out of Iowa). Ultimately Hoch has been a very nice lineman for us, but has anyone considered him a guy that's going to make/break us?

Again - very happy and I'm loving where the program is going. It's just that the excitement level for this particular player seems a little beyond what I would have expected.

I could be wrong, but I think some of that was magnified recently by Neal committing to OU, and OU presumably being one of the major players in Boehm's recruitment. Just a guess though.

DJ's left nut
06-14-2011, 03:57 PM
I could be wrong, but I think some of that was magnified recently by Neal committing to OU, and OU presumably being one of the major players in Boehm's recruitment. Just a guess though.

It would seem to break up the possibility of the dreaded 'trifecta' commitment of Neal, Boehm and DGB simultaneously...

I'm not giving up on DGB just yet (and then yes, you will absolutely see me shit bricks...).

eazyb81
06-14-2011, 04:01 PM

I don't think any one player makes or breaks us. However, a lot of people feel that the reason we never got over the hump against OU and TX during the Chase Daniel years was because we couldn't match up with them at O-line and D-line. Little by little, we are starting to see the talent gap decrease.

I think we are going to begin to see more pro-style elements in our offense, and it starts with getting talent like Boehm, Demien, etc. and RBs like Williams and Steward.

Also, Boehm was long considered an OU lean, and only recently did people think he may commit to us. There would probably be a bit less excitement if people thought he was in the bag for awhile. Beating OU after the Neal fiasco is also nice.

Mizzou_8541
06-14-2011, 04:03 PM
It would seem to break up the possibility of the dreaded 'trifecta' commitment of Neal, Boehm and DGB simultaneously...

I'm not giving up on DGB just yet (and then yes, you will absolutely see me shit bricks...).

Well, from what I have read, Neal's committment may follow the path of Sheldon's in the sense of really enjoying the process. Doesn't mean he will come to Mizzou, but he might not end up at OU either.

As far as DGB, well, I am not even getting my hopes up even though Mizzou is in the mix.

Pitt Gorilla
06-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Tomorrow (today!) could be a very interesting day.:p

Pitt Gorilla
06-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Wheres everyone seeing that Mizzou & OU were his top 2 chooses? Rivals said he had 3 included Nebraska. They've been slacking i'm starting to think it's not worth paying for this shit.Confirmed by someone close to the situation; NU was NEVER in the Boehm race.

Chocolate Hog
06-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Confirmed by someone close to the situation; NU was NEVER in the Boehm race.

Ok lol

beer bacon
06-14-2011, 05:24 PM

HUGE get - you simply can't let a kid like this leave the state. Strong trenches are more important than skill players.

He also got offered by Bama last week.

KChiefs1
06-14-2011, 06:32 PM
DGB & Gunner Kiel come on down!

duncan_idaho
06-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Boehm is a HUGE, HUGE get. For a lot of reasons:

1) He's the best in-state offensive linemen. Gotta lock those up.

2) They beat Oklahoma for his services. Even though he was LONG considered an OU lean (kind of like Neal for Mizzou).

3) It makes a strong statement that OU can't just come in and take whoever it wants.

4) He apparently is pretty good friends with Gunner Kiel. Can only help.

5) Can never have too many good offensive linemen.

Gunner Kiel would be the biggest statement ever made by Pinkel's staff in recruiting. Bigger than Gabbert, bigger than Richardson. Beating OU, Bama, Michigan for a kid from Indiana... wow. That would be amazing.

Great Expectations
06-14-2011, 07:58 PM
O-Line, especially the interior of the line isn't a position where you need stand out players when running MU's offense. Still a good get for the tigers.

If boehm has aspirations of playing in the NFL it seems like he should have chosen a team that runs the ball between the tackles a little more.

David.
06-14-2011, 08:32 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/evan_commited77/status/80754078300385280

from Boehm himself. Makes me feel a little more comfortable about it.

Trevo_410
06-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Ok lol

OWNED GTFO

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Pitt Gorilla
06-14-2011, 10:51 PM
It's looking like Mizzou will land either Kiel or Mauck. Either would be awesome.

Pitt Gorilla
06-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Cool ESPN article on Boehm's commitment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6662299

Edit: Story also includes some cool video of Boehm kicking ass.

eazyb81
06-15-2011, 05:20 AM
O-Line, especially the interior of the line isn't a position where you need stand out players when running MU's offense. Still a good get for the tigers.

If boehm has aspirations of playing in the NFL it seems like he should have chosen a team that runs the ball between the tackles a little more.

From Pitt's article:

He plays in an up-tempo style of offense at West High School (under his father and coach, Royce Boehm) that is similar to the one the Tigers run under coach Gary Pinkel. He hopes that will help him see the field early once he enrolls at Missouri.

I also expect we will see more pro style sets in the next couple years given the personnel we are recruiting and the comments made by insiders such as Dave Matter.

Jonathan Williams and Morgan Steward are both big, more pro style backs, rather than the typical scat back type RB we usually recruit; Gunner Kiel is a pro style QB, etc.

kepp
06-15-2011, 07:26 AM
It's looking like Mizzou will land either Kiel or Mauck. Either would be awesome.

I think landing Kiel would go a long way towards getting DGB on board. That would be awesome. #1 QB + #1 WR

Pitt Gorilla
06-15-2011, 09:41 AM
From Pitt's article:

I also expect we will see more pro style sets in the next couple years given the personnel we are recruiting and the comments made by insiders such as Dave Matter.

Jonathan Williams and Morgan Steward are both big, more pro style backs, rather than the typical scat back type RB we usually recruit; Gunner Kiel is a pro style QB, etc.It's a chicken/egg situation; to run more pro-style sets, you need more pro-style players. To get more pro-style players, you need to successfully run pro-style sets. Getting a player like Boehm gives us better personnel to run those sets.

Wickedson2.0
06-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Good get for the Tigers.

Anyone going to the Kansas - Missouri HS All Star game tomorrow??

ww.examiner.net/sports/x1732979565/Rival-states-best-to-clash-on-the-gridiron-Thursday

The 19th annual Greater Kansas City Football Coaches Association Country Mart Kansas vs. Missouri High School Football All-Star Game will be played at 8 p.m. Thursday at Southwick Stadium on the campus of Belton High School.

The annual game features all-star seniors from the rival states with Kansas holding an 11-7 series lead. Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for students (with student ID).

Area players who will participate in the game are Blue Springs’ Tyshaan Alleyne, Jon Trocosso, Myles Hicks, Cory Phillips and Lewis Foutz; Blue Springs South’s Jacob Moore, Logan Adkison and James McDonald; Lee’s Summit North’s T.J. Semke and Andrew Baggett; and Fort Osage’s Shayne Parsons.

“We are really pleased to have the Belton School District host the game this season,” GKCFCA president and Baldwin High School coach Mike Berg said. “We have had tremendous support from high school football fans over the years, and with this year’s game to be played in a city that is well known for its passion for high school football like Belton is fantastic. We expect the event to be outstanding this year.”

The Kansas squad will be coached by Louisburg’s Gary Griffin. The Missouri squad will be coached by Greg Jones of Kearney.

The game will be televised at 7 p.m. on a tape delay by KSMO Channel 62 on Saturday, June 18. All proceeds from this year’s game will be donated to the Joplin High School football program. Joplin was recently hit by a tornado that devastated much of the community and destroyed the high school.

“I think it would be great to see all our great area high school football fans come out to Belton to watch a great game, cheer on the Missouri team and help the people in Joplin,” GKCFCA co-director Tony Wrisinger said. “This event just gets bigger and better every year, and we can’t wait for Thursday night.”

Pitt Gorilla
06-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Nice article about Boehm in Lee's Summit Journal:

http://www.lsjournal.com/2011/06/16/68570/titan-to-be-a-tiger-west-senior.html

KChiefs1
06-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Nothing from Gunner Kiel yet?

Pitt Gorilla
06-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Nothing from Gunner Kiel yet?No, but on the basketball side, MU made Purvis' top 3 with Duke and NC State.

Trevo_410
06-17-2011, 07:09 PM
speaking of basketball, mike anderson getting alot of smack right now for not letting a current player and two recruits under the old coach leave arkansas :)

kcchiefsus
06-17-2011, 08:31 PM
speaking of basketball, mike anderson getting alot of smack right now for not letting a current player and two recruits under the old coach leave arkansas :)

What a piece of shit.

|Zach|
06-17-2011, 08:43 PM
No, but on the basketball side, MU made Purvis' top 3 with Duke and NC State.

Kinda wish we just had a straight up Mizzou thread so we could keep this stuff together.

Chocolate Hog
06-17-2011, 08:58 PM
Nothing from Gunner Kiel yet?

Mike was pretty confident about them getting him to come to Indiana when I spoke with him.

CoMoChief
06-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Kinda wish we just had a straight up Mizzou thread so we could keep this stuff together.

kinda wish you'd stop being such a f@ggot :thumb:

|Zach|
06-17-2011, 09:22 PM
kinda wish you'd stop being such a f@ggot :thumb:

Drunk and alone again?

Great Expectations
06-17-2011, 09:26 PM
'Bama is now rumored to be in the lead for Kiel w MU and OU close behind.

beer bacon
06-17-2011, 09:45 PM
'Bama is now rumored to be in the lead for Kiel w MU and OU close behind.

All it is is a rumor. The Kiel family keeps everything real close to the vest.

There is a good chance Gunner visits Columbia again next week.

DJ's left nut
06-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Nice article about Boehm in Lee's Summit Journal:

http://www.lsjournal.com/2011/06/16/68570/titan-to-be-a-tiger-west-senior.html

http://www.tacticaladvantage.com/images/jimp.gif

Pitt Gorilla
06-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Oldie but a goodie. MU/OU highlights.

http://www.rockmnation.com/2010/10/30/1783233/missouri-vs-oklahoma-highlights

Jerm
06-18-2011, 01:58 AM
Keion Bell confirmed just a little while ago he's coming to Mizzou.

Trevo_410
06-18-2011, 12:08 PM
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bd5UhbxOkvg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reaper16
06-18-2011, 12:39 PM
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bd5UhbxOkvg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="560"></iframe>

I came.

eazyb81
06-18-2011, 12:39 PM
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Bd5UhbxOkvg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good grief, that video was ridiculous.

Chocolate Hog
06-23-2011, 01:32 PM

I gotta give you props on this find. This guy is blowing up you'll never guess who his current leader is :). How'd you find out about this guy anyway?

DJ's left nut
06-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Good grief, that video was ridiculous.

That's great.

Can he hit a 12 footer?

eazyb81
06-23-2011, 02:22 PM
I gotta give you props on this find. This guy is blowing up you'll never guess who his current leader is :). How'd you find out about this guy anyway?

Actually its been confirmed that many of his top reported offers are BS, which is why he is only a 3 star and not in the top 250. My bad. LMAO

What's up with the nubs weak recruiting class so far? You guys are having a slow start.

Chocolate Hog
06-23-2011, 02:48 PM
Actually its been confirmed that many of his top reported offers are BS, which is why he is only a 3 star and not in the top 250. My bad. LMAO

What's up with the nubs weak recruiting class so far? You guys are having a slow start.

His top 3 are Nebraska, Florida, Wisconsin and Scout bumped him to a 4 star again?:shrug:

Small class but not necessarily a weak class. Rose looks like a good player, already got a 4* star WR, a 4* offensive tackle will be committing tomorrow, in the lead for McMullen, Valentine, Peat, and Fuller.

eazyb81
06-23-2011, 02:48 PM
His top 3 are Nebraska, Florida, Wisconsin and Scout bumped him to a 4 star again?:shrug:

Small class but not necessarily a weak class. Rose looks like a good player, already got a 4* star WR, a 4* offensive tackle will be committing tomorrow, in the lead for McMullen, Valentine, Peat, and Fuller.

Cotton will be solid as long as no girls back talk him.

Chocolate Hog
06-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Cotton will be solid as long as no girls back talk him.

LMAO

Trevo_410
06-23-2011, 11:16 PM
lol ishmail has already decommitted. not surprising at all.....

http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1234616

Sure-Oz
06-23-2011, 11:21 PM
lol ishmail has already decommitted. not surprising at all.....

http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1234616

Hopefully he comes back

Trevo_410
06-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Hopefully he comes back

indeed, also hope it doesn't effect coger's commitment and/or purvis' interest.

i think he just got all excited on his trip and committed without taking anything into consideration. We can still get him back, it's just gonna be tougher.

|Zach|
06-23-2011, 11:31 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/wainright24/statuses/84116767068258304

#MU still on the top of my list . Just want to go through the recruiting process .

Pitt Gorilla
06-30-2011, 08:30 PM
CB Will Hines to Mizzou!

Per PowerMizzou.

Offer list includes: Arkansas, Cal, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and KU (LOL).

eazyb81
07-01-2011, 06:41 AM
CB Will Hines to Mizzou!

Per PowerMizzou.

Offer list includes: Arkansas, Cal, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and KU (LOL).

Damn, that is one hell of an offer list.

He has nice size for a corner at 6'1", I wonder if he could get moved to safety.

kepp
07-01-2011, 07:15 AM
I've heard rumors that Gunner Kiel is visiting Mizzou today...anyone else heard that?

kepp
07-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Funny article - http://www.bringonthecats.com/2011/6/30/2249785/adventures-of-the-big-12-bon-voyage

DJ's left nut
07-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Damn, that is one hell of an offer list.

He has nice size for a corner at 6'1", I wonder if he could get moved to safety.

If he's a true 4.47, why would you move him to safety?

That sounds more like a damn good press corner than it does a safety to me.

kepp
07-01-2011, 10:50 AM
IU people seem confident they'll get Kiel - http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=170&f=2350&t=7638975

Pitt Gorilla
07-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Mauk visiting Mizzou (again) this week and is likely to commit. I love it.

Oh, and on the basketball side, we made Purvis' top 3.
http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-basketball/blogs/Rodney-Purvis/2011/07/04-Purvis-Blog.aspx?pursuit=BoysBasketball

KChiefs1
07-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Tigerboard poster says Mauk will make commit public tomorrow. I guess so long Gunner!

KChiefs1
07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
IU people seem confident they'll get Kiel - http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=170&f=2350&t=7638975

If he doesn't choose Mizzou then Indiana is better than Oklahoma or Alabama.

Reaper16
07-06-2011, 11:41 PM
If he doesn't choose Mizzou then Indiana is better than Oklahoma or Alabama.
Unless he wants to win a BCS game.

eazyb81
07-07-2011, 06:09 AM
Tigerboard poster says Mauk will make commit public tomorrow. I guess so long Gunner!

Would be a nice coup to beat out Notre Dame and Michigan for a QB from Ohio.

Mauk seems like another Chase Daniel.

|Zach|
07-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Would be a nice coup to beat out Notre Dame and Michigan for a QB from Ohio.

Mauk seems like another Chase Daniel.

Dude looks like a damn gamer. More athletic.

Al Bundy
07-07-2011, 07:17 AM
JNewbergESPN Jamie Newberg
Four-star QB Maty Mauck (Kenton, Ohio) will announce his decision in about an hour. - Cincy, ND, Michigan and Mizzou are his finalists

|Zach|
07-07-2011, 07:18 AM
JNewbergESPN Jamie Newberg
Four-star QB Maty Mauck (Kenton, Ohio) will announce his decision in about an hour. - Cincy, ND, Michigan and Mizzou are his finalists

*Crosses fingers and other crossable things.*

eazyb81
07-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Mauk just made it official on his facebook page. He is a Mizzou Tiger!

Saul Good
07-07-2011, 08:02 AM
That's a nice get. Has Kiel committed? I can't imagine that this impacing his decision.

eazyb81
07-07-2011, 08:05 AM
That's a nice get. Has Kiel committed? I can't imagine that this impacing his decision.

No, and no word on when he will.

Many seem to think he is now an Indiana lean, followed by Bama, but it is anyone's guess because he doesn't speak to anyone outside his immediate family about his recruitment.

I think Mizzou's coaches either felt that they wouldn't get Kiel, or simply didn't want to risk losing both Kiel and Mauk, and pushed Mauk for a commitment to get the process over with.

|Zach|
07-07-2011, 08:07 AM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YlneyfjPftA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

duncan_idaho
07-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Mauk has family in Springfield. Hmmmmm ... Wonder if he will stop down there to "bend it" while he's in the neighborhood.

Saul Good
07-07-2011, 08:12 AM
I know its been said before, but this really does seem like Chase Daniel versus Blaine Gabbert. I'm torn on which I'd rather have, but there is no downside either way.

|Zach|
07-07-2011, 08:14 AM
After seeing that video again the Chase Daniel comparison sunk in way more.

|Zach|
07-07-2011, 08:16 AM
I know its been said before, but this really does seem like Chase Daniel versus Blaine Gabbert. I'm torn on which I'd rather have, but there is no downside either way.

We could be picking between Quinn Mecham and Jordan Webb!

eazyb81
07-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Mauk has family in Springfield. Hmmmmm ... Wonder if he will stop down there to "bend it" while he's in the neighborhood.

I think you might be onto something. Here's the latest tweet from Power Mizzou:

With rumors about Kiel and DGB's "relationship", the commitment of Mauk to #Mizzou might have more impact on DGB. More later at PowerMizzou.

Apparently there's a rumor floating around that Mauk and DGB hung out yesterday in Springfield and tossed the ball around.

Saul Good
07-07-2011, 08:56 AM
I think you might be onto something. Here's the latest tweet from Power Mizzou:

Apparently there's a rumor floating around that Mauk and DGB hung out yesterday in Springfield and tossed the ball around.

What is the "relationship" between Kiel and DGB?

DJ's left nut
07-07-2011, 09:12 AM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YlneyfjPftA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's something I really really like about that video: Watch his head when he's on the move.

Once Gabbert started moving, his head went to the rushers and the space in front of him. He was looking to scramble or simply avoid getting blasted. As a result of that, I think he started feeling more phantom pressure as well.

Mauk appears to have a great innate feel for the pocket. He's constantly looking downfield when he's moving around. Look at how many plays he started moving around in, only to stop and fire 20-25 yards down the field. His ability to keep an eye on the 2nd level while moving as opposed to the area immediately around him created a lot of yards and points for his offense.

Maybe it's just a product of HS tapes, but that seems to be something you either do or you don't. If you don't have that feel for the pocket, you're not likely to just acquire it.

He's a very nice consolation prize.

|Zach|
07-07-2011, 09:14 AM
There's something I really really like about that video: Watch his head when he's on the move.

Once Gabbert started moving, his head went to the rushers and the space in front of him. He was looking to scramble or simply avoid getting blasted. As a result of that, I think he started feeling more phantom pressure as well.

Mauk appears to have a great innate feel for the pocket. He's constantly looking downfield when he's moving around. Look at how many plays he started moving around in, only to stop and fire 20-25 yards down the field. His ability to keep an eye on the 2nd level while moving as opposed to the area immediately around him created a lot of yards and points for his offense.

Maybe it's just a product of HS tapes, but that seems to be something you either do or you don't. If you don't have that feel for the pocket, you're not likely to just acquire it.

He's a very nice consolation prize.
It is interesting. Usually even with good players unless its a RB a lot of those HS vids look pretty "meh". I was way impressed with his athleticism and vision in those highlights.

Exciting.

DJ's left nut
07-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Another couple of things:

The play at the 45 second mark made me JIMP. He got hammered to deliver that ball and it was nails.

That offense is very very similar to ours. That middle screen he runs at 1:35(ish) is straight out of the "get Martin Rucker drafted" playbook.

He moves to his left a lot. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. While it's nice to see a kid that can go to both sides of the field on the move, I'm pretty damn sure I don't want him throwing across the field or across his body against DI defenders. He'll get pick-6ed a dozen times against OU doing that. I think it's a nice club to have in his bag, but he needs to do it less often, IMO.

I'm also not sure I'm in love with his throwing motion. He seems to pull back quick and whip it from about 3/4. It's really apparent at about 2:09 and 2:15. He reminds me of a middle-infielder more than a QB. He has that shortstop throw that you'll see those guys develop to speed up their mechanics. I think that could lead to some trouble with deflected passes or balls sailing on him if he's under duress.

But again, the best part about him is that he seems like he's generally running in order to buy time to pass, as opposed to Gabbert who would break the offense and bolt too easily. I don't think that can be taught and I love seeing it. I'm loathe to go to the "Daniel v. Gabbert" stuff because it seems cliched, but there really is a lot of Daniel in that boy, especially with the fact that he ran a similar offense in HS.

|Zach|
07-07-2011, 09:26 AM
What is the "relationship" between Kiel and DGB?

There seemed to be talk that those two were talking about their recruiting experiences with a possible desire to go to the same place in some sort of Lebron\Wade situation.

Today I read from Gabe DeArmond that those talks never happened. So wtf knows really.

Pitt Gorilla
07-07-2011, 10:24 AM
What is the "relationship" between Kiel and DGB?There really isn't one.

|Zach|
07-07-2011, 11:35 AM
As for Mauk’s personal strengths, his coach broke them down in four categories.

“Number one is his leadership skills,” he said, "his ability to communicate with the other 10 guys he’s playing with and what they’re doing … the rhythm of the offense and the tempo we set and getting the plays in so we’re all on the same page. He has good leadership skills in our conditioning and preparation. That’s the first thing.

“Second is arm strength. He has the ability to make every throws that’s necessary in our offense. A lot of things aren’t just drop back, step and throw. Sometimes you’ve got to avoid a guy or do it on the run in pressure situations. And he’s able to deliver the ball to our receivers.

“Number three would be he’s a pretty physical player as a quarterback. He runs hard. He has good physical skills as well.

“The fourth and probably most significant thing is his accuracy. He puts the ball where he wants it to be. That’s from a lot of practice and repetition.”

|Zach|
07-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Another couple of things:

The play at the 45 second mark made me JIMP. He got hammered to deliver that ball and it was nails.

That offense is very very similar to ours. That middle screen he runs at 1:35(ish) is straight out of the "get Martin Rucker drafted" playbook.

He moves to his left a lot. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. While it's nice to see a kid that can go to both sides of the field on the move, I'm pretty damn sure I don't want him throwing across the field or across his body against DI defenders. He'll get pick-6ed a dozen times against OU doing that. I think it's a nice club to have in his bag, but he needs to do it less often, IMO.

I'm also not sure I'm in love with his throwing motion. He seems to pull back quick and whip it from about 3/4. It's really apparent at about 2:09 and 2:15. He reminds me of a middle-infielder more than a QB. He has that shortstop throw that you'll see those guys develop to speed up their mechanics. I think that could lead to some trouble with deflected passes or balls sailing on him if he's under duress.

But again, the best part about him is that he seems like he's generally running in order to buy time to pass, as opposed to Gabbert who would break the offense and bolt too easily. I don't think that can be taught and I love seeing it. I'm loathe to go to the "Daniel v. Gabbert" stuff because it seems cliched, but there really is a lot of Daniel in that boy, especially with the fact that he ran a similar offense in HS.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1234294985_futurama%20bender%20pimp%20walk.gif