PDA

View Full Version : News C-130 Aircraft landing gear not working

KCrockaholic
04-17-2011, 11:59 AM
They are hovering around Colorado Springs right now before they run out of fuel.

Not a good situation...

Buck
04-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Thats a big fucking plane, but I'd think that military pilots are well trained when it comes to emergency landings.

cdcox
04-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Land at Invesco. Get the Broncos there for moral support!

KCrockaholic
04-17-2011, 12:02 PM
Thats a big ****ing plane, but I'd think that military pilots are well trained when it comes to emergency landings.

You would think/hope so. But what can you do in this case?

kstater
04-17-2011, 12:03 PM
You would think/hope so. But what can you do in this case?

Circle to burn the extra fuel then put her down on her belly.

Buck
04-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Is this on tv somewhere?

Bugeater
04-17-2011, 12:04 PM
If it lands on a conveyor belt going the exact same speed....

Buck
04-17-2011, 12:05 PM

/thread

CoMoChief
Well, hope they can find a field and glide down to a safe area on the plane's belly as slow as possible without completely stalling out. that's a bigass plane though. That's gonna be tough to do, nearly impossible I'd think.

KCrockaholic
Is this on tv somewhere?

I'm trying to find a channel with a live shot, but Fox news apparently doesn't care that much. They talked about it for a minute, and then switched to talking about air traffic controllers falling asleep.

cdcox

LMAO

DaFace
04-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Theoretically, this is ATC audio from Colorado Springs. No promises.

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=kcos

RedDread
04-17-2011, 12:06 PM
I was on one that had a landing gear issue. The manual crank did not work so they had to release the landing gear entirely and hold it in place with chains secured to the frame on the inside. I am guessing that option is out of the question if they're still circling...

JBucc
04-17-2011, 12:07 PM
They can fly really slow can't they? Should make an emergency landing easier.

Buck
04-17-2011, 12:07 PM
They should just say fuck it and all jump out with parachutes and let that motherfucker crash somewhere.

58-4ever
04-17-2011, 12:08 PM
They should just say fuck it and all jump out with parachutes and let that motherfucker crash somewhere.

Sounds expensive. :thumb:

CoMoChief
04-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Here's a vid of a pilot safely doing it.

<param name="movie" value="http://www.liveleak.com/e/e87_1207552107"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.liveleak.com/e/e87_1207552107" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" width="450" height="370"></embed>

KCrockaholic
04-17-2011, 12:09 PM
They should just say **** it and all jump out with parachutes and let that mother****er crash somewhere.

I was thinking that, but the possibility of killing people on the ground is too risky.....Buuuut it is Colorado Springs.....Fuck them. :evil: j/k j/k

CoMoChief
04-17-2011, 12:10 PM
nevermind, embed not working.

heres the link

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e87_1207552107

DaFace
04-17-2011, 12:10 PM
https://www.facebook.com/KRDONewsChannel13?sk=wall

Breaking Update: CSFD reporting C130 has landed safely.

KCrockaholic
04-17-2011, 12:12 PM
There you go. Good news.

Hog Farmer
04-17-2011, 01:59 PM
If it didn't crash and explode it's not news.

Reerun_KC
04-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Well, hope they can find a field and glide down to a safe area on the plane's belly as slow as possible without completely stalling out. that's a bigass plane though. That's gonna be tough to do, nearly impossible I'd think.

Not as impossible as you think...

Gonzo
04-17-2011, 07:53 PM
I was part of a B-17 crew, (ball-gunner) and we had the same problem. Unfortunately, we got into a fire-fight with some dirty Krauts during our mission and I was locked in the turret due to battle damage.
They tried to get that hatch open for hours but we were running out of fuel. I told them to go ahead and do a belly land and that I had led a good life.
I'm quite an artist, btw and during our approach, I drew some giant cartoon landing gear on our plane. Then magically, the cartoon landing gear appeared. We landed, they got me out and then just like that, the cartoon landing gear disappeared.
It was truly an Amazing Story, huh?
Posted via Mobile Device

KCrockaholic
04-17-2011, 07:56 PM
I was part of a B-27 crew, (ball-gunner) and we had the same problem. Unfortunately, we got into a fire-fight with some dirty Krauts during our mission and I was locked in the turret due to battle damage.
They tried to get that hatch open for hours but we were running out of fuel. I told them to go ahead and do a belly land and that I had led a good life.
I'm quite an artist, btw and during our approach, I drew some giant cartoon landing gear on our plane. Then magically, the cartoon landing gear appeared. We landed, they got me out and then just like that, the cartoon landing gear disappeared.
Posted via Mobile Device

You invented The Willy Coyote and Road Runner?

TODD
04-17-2011, 11:35 PM
C130 is not that big...C-5 galaxy is big, and so is the C-17.

Generally landing gear is blown down with a emergency Pneumatic system...if the air dont blow it down....its belly landing time...

But really.......

Main landing gear will lock down most times just from the weight of the gear..

Nose gear falls out of the wheel well to the rear of the ACFT so you also get wind assist.

WV
04-17-2011, 11:42 PM

I was thinking the same thing but it didn't seem that relevant. Now that they are safe.....the Air National Guard here switched from a C130 base to a C5 base and that is a huge freaking plane.

LiveSteam
04-17-2011, 11:46 PM
I was part of a B-17 crew, (ball-gunner) and we had the same problem. Unfortunately, we got into a fire-fight with some dirty Krauts during our mission and I was locked in the turret due to battle damage.
Posted via Mobile Device

I seen that on Ripley s 20 + years ago.

JOhn
04-17-2011, 11:49 PM
I seen that on Ripley s 20 + years ago.

Andy Rooney wrote about it, back when it happened. He was a correspondent covering the 8th Air Force back in WW2

Dartgod
04-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Once the crew heard that CoMo said it was nearly impossible to safely land the plane, they knew everything was going to be ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

loochy
04-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL! I remember seeing that.

http://www.entropia.pl/sabianskie/userpix/2_027_2.jpg

Sofa King
04-18-2011, 08:51 AM

Generally landing gear is blown down with a emergency Pneumatic system...if the air dont blow it down....its belly landing time...

But really.......

Main landing gear will lock down most times just from the weight of the gear..

Nose gear falls out of the wheel well to the rear of the ACFT so you also get wind assist.

108 posts in over a decade? you've taken lurking to a whole new level.

ClevelandBronco
04-18-2011, 10:50 AM
If it didn't crash and explode it's not news.

That's exactly what our Editor in Chief told us about space shuttle stories a few months before the Challenger incident.

TODD
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
I am Pacing myself....

Warrior5
04-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Spielberg couldn't have written a better script...

scott free
04-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Circle to burn the extra fuel then put her down on her belly.

Reerun_KC
04-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Once the crew heard that CoMo said it was nearly impossible to safely land the plane, they knew everything was going to be ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL

MOhillbilly
04-18-2011, 03:39 PM
my pops was in one that was shot down.