PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Teicher: Chiefs may be thinking offense in this draft

Tribal Warfare
04-18-2011, 03:23 AM
Chiefs may be thinking offense in this draft (http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/17/2807023/chiefs-may-be-thinking-offense.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The average age of the Chiefs’ projected offensive starters next season is more than 29, with five players at 30 years or older. The same information for the projected defensive starters: average age under 26, with one player 30 or older.

From that information alone, it’s easy to conclude it’s time for the Chiefs to think offense in the upcoming draft. The first round will be held April 28, with the draft finishing over the next two days.

The decision won’t be that simple, of course.

The Chiefs have some thin spots on defense, despite their young age, and need to keep an eye on their cornerback situation. One starter, Brandon Carr doesn’t have a contract for next season while the other, Brandon Flowers, has a deal that expires after this year.

But merely from an age standpoint, the Chiefs can line up on defense just as they are for years. Andy Studebaker, 25, slides in for Mike Vrabel, 36, at outside linebacker and joins a lineup with defensive tackle Ron Edwards being the oldest player at 32.

They can’t say that about their offense. Their three starters in the middle of their offensive line are 30 or older, as are running back Thomas Jones and wide receiver Chris Chambers.

They have a handful of young offensive regulars such as Dwayne Bowe, 26, and Jamaal Charles, who remarkably doesn’t turn 25 until December. But Bowe is heading into the final season of his contract. With Charles, the shelf life of a running back generally isn’t long (see: Larry Johnson).

Fortunately for the Chiefs, there will probably be a strong selection of offensive players available to them when they make the 21st pick in the first round.

“The Chiefs don’t have a ton of holes because of their draft last year. So they don’t have to draft based on need,” draft analyst Shawn Zobel said. “But I think there will be more good offensive players than defensive players there for them to draft. If they want a good tackle there, they can get a good tackle. There’s going to be at least one or two good tackles there at 21.

“What helps Kansas City is that they don’t have a glaring need at quarterback like half the other teams do. Because of that, they could see a top player if two or three or four of these quarterbacks go in front of them.”

Starting in 2004 with the regrettable choice of Junior Siavii, the first player picked by the Chiefs in six of the last seven drafts was a defensive player. Except for Siavii, all of those players are still with the Chiefs: linebackers Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali, defensive linemen Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey and safety Eric Berry.

The Chiefs haven’t ignored their offense. Just last year, they drafted slot receiver Dexter McCluster, tight end Tony Moeaki and offensive lineman Jon Asamoah in the first three rounds.

They also signed as free agents Jones and offensive linemen Ryan Lilja and Casey Wiegmann. Among that group, only Lilja, 29, will be under 33 when next season is scheduled to begin.

Consider this as well: Bowe, Jones and tackle Branden Albert are the only former first-round draft picks starting for the Chiefs on offense. Bowe and Albert were drafted by the Chiefs, and Jones by Arizona in 2000.

Looking at the big picture, it appears time for the Chiefs to stock up on offense. General manager Scott Pioli isn’t revealing his plans, saying only: “It’s a good, solid draft with a lot of good prospects. There would appear to be some good developmental players as well at a number of different positions. There are going to be a lot of players in this year’s draft that play for awhile in the NFL.”

None of this means the Chiefs, who have eight picks this year, will have a draft heavy on offense. Looking at the first round, the draft’s deepest position is defensive line.

The Chiefs invested in some of those positions in recent years with Dorsey and Jackson. That doesn’t mean they couldn’t wind up with a defensive lineman like, say, Corey Liuget of Illinois.

The Chiefs’ biggest positional need is at wide receiver. Other than Bowe, they have a collection of aging veterans (Chambers, Kevin Curtis), special-teams players (Terrance Copper) and developmental players (Verran Tucker, Jeremy Horne, Quinten Lawrence).

It would be a major upset if the Chiefs didn’t draft at least one receiver.

“If Torrey Smith is available, they should at least consider him,” Zobel said, speaking of the Maryland receiver who caught 67 passes and scored 12 touchdowns last season.

BigRock
04-18-2011, 03:31 AM
Chiefs may be thinking offense in this draft

Also a possibility: defense.

oaklandhater
04-18-2011, 04:27 AM
[“What helps Kansas City is that they don’t have a glaring need at quarterback like half the other teams do.

denial is not just a river in egypt

InChiefsHell
04-18-2011, 06:23 AM
[“What helps Kansas City is that they don’t have a glaring need at quarterback like half the other teams do.

denial is not just a river in egypt

But seriously, the Chiefs don't have a glaring need. We had a glaring need before Cassel. Now we have a "serviceable" QB. We don't need to be blowing a first rounder on the QB position. It is what it is. I'm not gonna JIMP over Cassel, but right now IMO the QB need is a lot less than it used to be.

niko
04-18-2011, 06:39 AM
defence defence defence , what do people think ?

InChiefsHell
04-18-2011, 06:48 AM
defence defence defence , what do people think ?

...that you have an issue with spelling?

Chiefs=Good
04-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Special teams a slight possibility

ForeverChiefs58
04-18-2011, 06:57 AM
If Pouncy is there at 21, I bet he will be the pick

Baby Lee
04-18-2011, 07:15 AM
But seriously, the Chiefs don't have a glaring need. We had a glaring need before Cassel. Now we have a "serviceable" QB. We don't need to be blowing a first rounder on the QB position. It is what it is. I'm not gonna JIMP over Cassel, but right now IMO the QB need is a lot less than it used to be.

Unless you count the glaringest need in the league.

the Talking Can
04-18-2011, 07:15 AM
sources tell me it is 50/50

InChiefsHell
04-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Unless you count the glaringest need in the league.

The Chiefs do NOT have the worst QB in the league by a long shot. And I'm no Cassel apologist, I'm just saying we could do much much worse.

...having said that, I hope we draft a develop-able QB in a later round...sorta like Croyle only not made of glass and stuff...

keg in kc
04-18-2011, 08:09 AM
I don't think the age is as much as issue as the talent is. I'd be surprised if they don't pick up a receiver. I'd also be surprised (much moreso) if either of their starting corners is playing elsewhere in 2013.

Lzen
04-18-2011, 09:32 AM
I don't think the age is as much as issue as the talent is. I'd be surprised if they don't pick up a receiver. I'd also be surprised (much moreso) if either of their starting corners is playing elsewhere in 2013.

Seems kinda silly to draft guys and they turn into studs only to be let go in FA. But I seem to recall NE having new CBs and WRs all the time. It was all about drafting and developing players. I think that is exactly what we will be seeing here.

ChiTown
04-18-2011, 09:36 AM
WR, NOW, Gawdamnit!

Dave Lane
04-18-2011, 10:14 AM
There won't be one at 21 worth taking. Maybe a tradedown and grab some other of the talent in round 2. We must come away with a decent WR out if this draft. We started an off the street player for our playoff game. Jfc how bad is that!!

keg in kc
04-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Seems kinda silly to draft guys and they turn into studs only to be let go in FA. But I seem to recall NE having new CBs and WRs all the time. It was all about drafting and developing players. I think that is exactly what we will be seeing here.They were/are kind of like Philadelphia in that they'll let guys go once they reach a certain age (Ty Law, after his 10th season - Lawyer Milloy (not a corner, I know, but a DB...) after his 7th).

I don't expect that would happen with either of our corners, not when they're about to enter their prime, rather than nearing the end or past it.

DTLB58
04-18-2011, 11:04 AM
What a p**sy ass.
He titles his story Chiefs May be thinking offense in this draft, and then throws this line in...
None of this means the Chiefs, who have eight picks this year, will have a draft heavy on offense. Looking at the first round, the draft’s deepest position is defensive line.

It's like he just doesn't want to get a phone call the day after the draft saying I thought you said they were going to go Offense? ROFL

DaKCMan AP
04-18-2011, 11:06 AM
The average age of the Chiefs’ projected offensive starters next season is more than 29, with five players at 30 years or older. The same information for the projected defensive starters: average age under 26, with one player 30 or older.

What a weak ass argument, especially when you realize Thomas Jones, Leonard Pope, and Chris Chambers are listed as "starters" and even with them the median age is 28.

Plugging in Charles, Moeaki, and McCluster/Tucker/rookie as starters and it changes to a median of 26 and average of 27.

SNR
04-18-2011, 11:15 AM
But seriously, the Chiefs don't have a glaring need. We had a glaring need before Cassel. Now we have a "serviceable" QB. We don't need to be blowing a first rounder on the QB position. It is what it is. I'm not gonna JIMP over Cassel, but right now IMO the QB need is a lot less than it used to be.Wrong. The Chiefs have a glaring need at QB that's even worse than last year, IMO.

Brodie's a free agent. Tyler Palko is Cassel's backup.

I would bet money the Chiefs are taking a QB at some point in the draft. It's pretty damn important that they do so this year.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Wrong. The Chiefs have a glaring need at QB that's even worse than last year, IMO.

Brodie's a free agent. Tyler Palko is Cassel's backup.

I would bet money the Chiefs are taking a QB at some point in the draft. It's pretty damn important that they do so this year.
depends on your definition of "glaring"

imo the general consensus is that if you have a viable starter then your need isn't glaring. :shrug:

that said ... i bet we do draft a QB at some point. If history is any indicator then it won't be on Day 1 (rd 1-3). Pioli seems determined to not have any QB on the roster that can be considered competition for Cassel.

(yes, i know that day 1 isn't the same anymore but fuck it :) )

Dicky McElephant
04-18-2011, 11:30 AM
All I know is they better come out of this draft with a fucking NT.

keg in kc
04-18-2011, 11:31 AM
What a p**sy ass.
He titles his story Chiefs May be thinking offense in this draft, and then throws this line in[B]...It may work differently at the Star, but copy editors usually come up with the headlines, rather than the writers themselves.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2011, 11:34 AM
All I know is they better come out of this draft with a fucking NT.
weren't we saying this last year too?

SNR
04-18-2011, 11:38 AM
weren't we saying this last year too?And the year before that.

Ever since Scott Pioli mentioned the 3-4 in his opening press conference we've needed a new NT

RedThat
04-18-2011, 11:40 AM
At this point in the rebuilding process, I see the defense ahead of the offense. So yeah if they decided to go with a heavy offensive draft it probably wouldn't be a bad plan.

But Pioli is going to have a lot of work to do. I think he needs to lock up Flowers, Carr, Hali, and Bowe. Thats 4 key pieces to our team right there.

And yeah the offense could use a lot of help. Especially on the offensive line. Thats the area of offense that has me most concerned. I think Richardson has been somewhat disappointing, so if they could upgrade the tackle position, that would be a plus. I think its time to replace both Wiegman and Waters. The offensive line in the last two games of the season against Oakland and Baltimore should be an eye opener for everyone to know that it is a glaring weakness on the team. And I think that the offensive lines weaknesses were pretty much masked all year. But its clear a lot of our offensive lineman aren't really good players.

And then there is always finding that #2 WR to perform opposite of Bowe. Chambers has been a big disappointment. And once teams shut down Bowe, who does Cassel have to throw to? Again the playoff game against Baltimore is real eye opener because we not only saw offensive line issues but they also did an excellent job of shutting down Bowe and it proved that if you take Bowe out of the game plan, Cassel didn't have anybody to throw to.

So yeah if they can address the Offensive line and wide receiver position, I'll be really pleased. And I think they should, its necessary especially for this team to move forward and compete in the playoffs.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2011, 11:45 AM
forget going offense or defense ... just get the best players available.

penguinz
04-18-2011, 11:49 AM
forget going offense or defense ... just get the best players available.With the possibility of little to no free agency you have to draft based upon need as well.

Sofa King
04-18-2011, 11:51 AM
forget going offense or defense ... just get the best players available.

that leaves special teams. You really like special teams i take it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
There won't be one at 21 worth taking. Maybe a tradedown and grab some other of the talent in round 2. We must come away with a decent WR out if this draft. We started an off the street player for our playoff game. Jfc how bad is that!!

There's always someone worth taking at some position.

MahiMike
04-18-2011, 12:02 PM
If Pouncy is there at 21, I bet he will be the pick

Let's hope so. :thumb:

Mr. Laz
04-18-2011, 12:02 PM
With the possibility of little to no free agency you have to draft based upon need as well.
if there is a season there will be free agency ... it might be only 10 days long, but it will be there.

You gotta focus on getting the best player available that fits your system. If nobody is going to be there when you draft then you need to move up or move down but you still want to get the BPA imo.

buddha
04-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Pouncey won't be there for the Chiefs' pick, but if he was, that's the biggest no brainer in the history of the common draft. Pouncey is the surest thing in this draft IMO. He's huge, he moves like a puma and he has a mean streak. His twin was an all-pro as a rookie, and the version coming out this year is supposed to be even more physical. Draft him and forget his position for the next dozen years.

Yes, the Chiefs have plenty of glaring needs. Bowe is clearly our go to receiver, but we don't have another one. Chambers has been shitty for at least two years. A second receiver is a clear area of need. O-line still needs work, as does the d-line.

threebag02
04-18-2011, 01:02 PM
sources tell me it is 50/50

...and with the 21st pick the KANSAS CITY CHIEFS go special teams

DaKCMan AP
04-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Pouncey won't be there for the Chiefs' pick, but if he was, that's the biggest no brainer in the history of the common draft. Pouncey is the surest thing in this draft IMO. He's huge, he moves like a puma and he has a mean streak. His twin was an all-pro as a rookie, and the version coming out this year is supposed to be even more physical. Draft him and forget his position for the next dozen years.

Yes, the Chiefs have plenty of glaring needs. Bowe is clearly our go to receiver, but we don't have another one. Chambers has been shitty for at least two years. A second receiver is a clear area of need. O-line still needs work, as does the d-line.

As long as it's understood he'll play guard, not center.

SNR
04-18-2011, 02:01 PM
As long as it's understood he'll play guard, not center.
That's why I prefer we pass on him and take a guard in the later rounds.

If we draft an offensive lineman in the first, it better be one of the 4 pretty good tackles