PDA

View Full Version : Life Unwitting audience clap and cheer as comedian stabs himself to death at open mic

teedubya
04-18-2011, 04:18 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1377847/Kipp-Rusty-Walker-stabs-death-stage-open-mic-event.html

A troubled 19-year-old stabbed himself to death on stage at an open mic night after playing a song called Sorry For All the Mess.

Kipp Rusty Walker repeatedly plunged the six-inch blade into his chest as the audience clapped and cheered in the mistaken belief it was piece of performance art.

But when he collapsed in a pool of his own blood they started screaming in horror and rushed to help him, but his wounds were too severe and he died soon after.

The bizarre suicide has left the community of Bend in Oregon stunned and wondering why he would end his life in such a public way.

But questions will be asked of mental health authorities after it emerged that Walker had told friends of his plan and had threatened to kill himself before.

On that occasion he had been taken in for treatment but was released back into the community.

Walker took his own life at the Strictly Organic Coffee Company in front of around 15 people during its open mic night.

He got up on stage and performed the number on the keyboard before killing himself.

He was taken to hospital but died shortly after.

Strictly Organic's co-owner Rhonda Ealy told TV news station KTVZ of the confused reaction among the audience as the horror unfolded.

Scene of the suicide: The venue when the teenager repeatedly stabbed himself

She said: ‘It was really unclear at first what was even happening.’
‘You know it is an open mic and it's a performance, people at first thought it was some sort of theatre.

‘Most people never have to see anything like that in their entire lives, and never have before, so it is a life-changing experience’.

One of Walker’s friends claimed that he had been planning to kill himself in a public place for some time.

The friend said: ‘It was almost like he wanted to prove a point, like there's no point in being scared of death because it's going to happen to us anyway,’

He added that Walker told him he first wanted to kill himself on March 20, so he told his parents who took him to the psychiatric unit at St Charles Medical Centre in Bend.

Walker, described as a transient, was released a few days later.
The friend added that there was nothing he could do to help Walker.
'I actually told him, I was like, "Dude, this is going to mess a lot of people up",' the friend said.

A 'life changing experience': Rhonda Ealy, the co-owner of the Strictly Organic Coffee Company in Bend, Oregon, is horrified that some of her customers had to witness a public suicide

The suicide has split opinion in Bend. Some people are sympathetic to Walker’s plight, others are outraged over his actions.
On the website of newspaper The Oregonian, one reader going by the name of Quashi wrote: ‘As the aunt of a talented young artist who also took his life at the age of 19, I am so saddened that he was not able to reach out to his friends and family for help.

‘We will never know the level of pain he suffered from so deeply that he chose to take his own life. Nor will he ever know the pain felt by those he left behind. This lasts forever.’

Another reader, Judahlevi, commented: ‘It is always a tragic act for someone to take their own life since all life is precious.

‘Nonetheless, he did not have the right to do this in front of an audience. The horrific memories of someone stabbing himself to death on stage in front of them is not something for anyone to have to be subjected to, or have to live with.

‘It is psychologically damaging for everyone in the audience, whether they admit it or not.

‘I feel more sympathy for the audience than the "performer".'
Another commenter who said he was a doctor added that such a public suicide could be to ‘demonstrate to others who are "normal" that there are others suffering to the point of suicide.'

‘It's kind of an "in your face you lucky b****** kind of approach", be it jumping from a bridge/tower or shooting/stabbing yourself in public.’
Bend Police Lieutenant Chris Carney said Walker’s family live in Alaska and have been notified.

He added that the incident was unlike anything he’d ever seen.
‘You know, 19 years with the Police Department, I can't think of any event similar to this where somebody's done something in such a public forum and not said anything in the process. So at this point, we still don't know the reason why he chose to do this, why he chose this location or anything and we probably never will would be my guess,’ he said.

A spokesman for St Charles Health System said officials would be working with Bend Police Department and the Deschutes County Public Health Department, to ‘discuss resources that are available in the community for those struggling with depression or suicidal thoughts.’

No investigation has begun into any potential errors in his treatment.

kstater
04-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Badass

crazycoffey
04-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Goatboy couldn't stand being banned?

but seriously, that's pretty F'ed in the head

Donger
04-18-2011, 04:22 PM
That's a pretty cutting edge performance.

CoMoChief
04-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Tell ya what if youre gonna kill yourself that's one hell of a way to do it.

Bane
04-18-2011, 04:33 PM
He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

pr_capone
04-18-2011, 04:35 PM
At least he going to the point quickly. His personal life must have been a bloody mess.

teedubya
04-18-2011, 04:37 PM
They only redeeming part of the story is hopefully Carlos Mencia will steal this bit...

teedubya
04-18-2011, 04:38 PM
"How's he doing up there?"

"Oh man, he's killing"

CrazyPhuD
Drama Queen

Pants
He gave a very penetrating performance.

Pants
04-18-2011, 04:39 PM
They only redeeming part of the story is hopefully Carlos Mencia will steal this bit...

LMAO

That was actually hilarious, Ari.

Bane
04-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Guess the audience bled him dry.

Rain Man
04-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Can you imagine being the next act? How do you follow that?

kstater
04-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Hopefully he doesn't go out and bomb.

Bane
04-18-2011, 04:42 PM

Some folks just aren't cut out for it.

Superturtle
04-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Hall of classics....

Fishpicker
04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm ok with what happened. people should be allowed to commit suicide if they want. hell, I think the state should assist if a person is committed to doing it. At least the guy didnt crack up like Hui or Loughner.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9oIeLKB0wU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sofa King
04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
And the crowd fell deathly silent.......

Demonpenz
04-18-2011, 04:44 PM
for my next impression ...Julius Caesar

Detoxing
04-18-2011, 04:44 PM
That's classic.

Dude stabs himself and they're worried about the trauma the audience endured. Poor guy tries to get his 15 minutes of fame by killing himself and he's still painted to be an asshole.

pr_capone
04-18-2011, 04:46 PM
That's classic.

Dude stabs himself and they're worried about the trauma the audience endured. Poor guy tries to get his 15 minutes of fame by killing himself and he's still painted to be an asshole.

No one is painting him to be an asshole. He simply is an asshole. No one should be forced to watch something like that against their will.

RedNeckRaider
04-18-2011, 04:49 PM
No one is painting him to be an asshole. He simply is an asshole. No one should be forced to watch something like that against their will.

Agreed~

teedubya
04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
On the bright side... Kipp "Rusty" Walker will be headlining at Resthaven this Saturday, 11AM, no cover, 2 flower minimum...

RedNeckRaider
04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
The guy kind of looks like Ashton Kutcher~

Fishpicker
04-18-2011, 04:54 PM

were they a captive audience? they could leave at any time. I was tricked into watching the BME pain olympics once. its not that big of a deal.

Rain Man
04-18-2011, 04:56 PM
He should have introduced himself as Mike, pulled out the knife, and said, "You want open mic night? I'll give you open mic night."

PunkinDrublic
04-18-2011, 05:10 PM
You know there were hecklers yelling "you suck get off the stage!" As he bled to death.

-King-
04-18-2011, 05:33 PM
He tried to tell one of the best jokes ever that night. He didn't get it quite right, but at least he took a stab at it. That's all you can ask for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
04-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Sounds like he really poured his heart out on that stage....

-King-
04-18-2011, 05:42 PM
According to his friends, he was quite the cut up.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaFace

Yep. I wouldn't have an issue with someone offing themselves if you could ensure that they wouldn't hurt anyone else in the process. In this case, there's a good chance that someone in the audience ends up in therapy over it. Pretty douchey thing to do when it really comes down to it.

KC Jones

I think you just have to take a stab at it and let the chips fall where they may.

Gonzo
04-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Knife!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jaric
04-18-2011, 06:41 PM

This needs to be repeated.

Groves
04-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Try following THAT routine.

Coach
04-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Man, that was dull.

MIAdragon
04-18-2011, 07:36 PM

Im sure it was a bit dicey.

Rain Man
04-18-2011, 07:43 PM

"Y'know how I know this is a tough audience?" (Looks down at body of guy who killed himself.)

Coach
04-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Chopped liver....

-King-
04-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Alright guys...these jokes have gone too far. Please, cut it out.
Posted via Mobile Device

SNR
04-18-2011, 08:58 PM
If he wanted to put the audience in stitches, he should have pointed the knife the other way

SNR
04-18-2011, 09:01 PM
This story reminds me of this Looney Tunes cartoon. At 6:11:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f2WuFy2lVtU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hog Farmer
04-18-2011, 09:03 PM

Yeah, If I was the next act I'd walk out with a revolver and just stand there to see the reaction.

Oh , and his act sucked but at least he took a stab at it.

Chiefshrink
04-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Surely there is a "youtube" of this:rolleyes:

Reaper16
04-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Surely there is a "youtube" of this:rolleyes:
My mind pretzels trying to make sense of the use of quotation marks in this sentence.

Baby Lee
04-18-2011, 11:25 PM
My mind pretzels trying to make sense of the use of quotation marks in this sentence.

'youtube' is the new vernacular for video footage.

Much like when I say I 'taped' my favorite shows by setting up my computer to digitally record a file that allows me to view them later.

Nobody tapes anything any more, and they don't view anything they 'taped' on a tube device to begin with.

Youtube the noun refers to a website where video clips can be viewed. So rather than saying you recorded a clip for internet viewing, you turn the site into a noun signifying the media contained thereon.

J Diddy
04-18-2011, 11:28 PM
"How's he doing up there?"

"Oh man, he's dying"

fyp

Reaper16
04-18-2011, 11:30 PM
'youtube' is the new vernacular for video footage.

Much like when I say I 'taped' my favorite shows by setting up my computer to digitally record a file that allows me to view them later.

Youtube the noun refers to a website where video clips can be viewed. So rather than saying you recorded a clip for internet viewing, you turn the site into a noun signifying the media contained thereon.
The quotes make it seem like SportsShrink is unsure about YouTube, as if it is some imaginative thing. He's not quoting for reference or citation, because no one else calls a video on YouTube a youtube. You can see him making air quotes as he mouths the words.

MIAdragon
04-18-2011, 11:47 PM
The quotes make it seem like SportsShrink is unsure about YouTube, as if it is some imaginative thing. He's not quoting for reference or citation, because no one else calls a video on YouTube a youtube. You can see him making air quotes as he mouths the words.

LMAO

DA_T_84
04-18-2011, 11:56 PM
He always was a cut-up

Crush
04-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Worst Comedy Central standup special ever.

keg in kc
04-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Sometimes humor cuts both ways.

RedThat
04-19-2011, 01:09 AM
You know whats amazing?

There was what? Hundreds, thousands of people in the audience? And not one of those motherf*ckers attempted to even stop it! just goes to show how stupid people are.

KurtCobain
04-19-2011, 01:13 AM
Yeah, what post number two said. Badass. Kudos to this guy for going through with it. Tough thing to do.

ExtremeChief
04-19-2011, 01:19 AM
He was on the cutting edge of comedy. What a bloody shame.

Rain Man
04-19-2011, 01:24 AM
You know whats amazing?

There was what? Hundreds, thousands of people in the audience? And not one of those motherf*ckers attempted to even stop it! just goes to show how stupid people are.

Perhaps even tens of thousands. It may have looked like the crowd scene from that Gandhi movie.

Baby Lee
04-19-2011, 01:32 AM

Are you autistic?

When you seek information, do you 'perform an internet search' or do you 'google it?'

No reason people can't talk about 'Huluing' episodes of The Office, or 'youtubing' a standup's suicide.

And while we're on the subject of syntax, imaginative?

KurtCobain
04-19-2011, 01:34 AM
The internet is ruining the free world.

IrishGal
04-19-2011, 01:41 AM
You know whats amazing?

I agree completely....these idiots weren't being forced to watch, and they certainly thought it was funny as long as it was a "joke", nobody better complain about being traumatized by watching this. I would imagine his family is traumatized. How horribly miserable do you have to be to do something like this in front of so many people? He was crying out for help in front of thousands of people, and not one of those motherf*ckers did anything, but laughed.

And really, the jokes have gone too far, can we just move on?

KurtCobain
04-19-2011, 01:44 AM
People kill themselves for fake on stage all the time, have for centuries(magic). This guy just took it one step farther. He was fucked in the head and he did something tragic. The audience had no reason to expect he was really in danger. Cmon, who the fuck does this?

Fishpicker
04-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Irishgal, its ok to use humor to cope. the guy that committed suicide should have done the same.

crazycoffey
04-19-2011, 01:52 AM
You know whats amazing?

article in OP says in front of about 15 people

crazycoffey
04-19-2011, 01:55 AM
do we know what song he sang?

cuts like a knife?

J Diddy
04-19-2011, 01:59 AM
I agree completely....these idiots weren't being forced to watch, and they certainly thought it was funny as long as it was a "joke", nobody better complain about being traumatized by watching this. I would imagine his family is traumatized. How horribly miserable do you have to be to do something like this in front of so many people? He was crying out for help in front of thousands of people, and not one of those motherf*ckers did anything, but laughed.

Absolutely, dead on.

JOhn
04-19-2011, 02:43 AM

We could but this is CP....we will ride this pony til it's dead or kills it's self:p

Baby Lee
04-19-2011, 02:50 AM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=164871
FYP ;)

KC Tattoo
04-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Sounds like he really poured his heart out on that stage....

He must have been a Stones fan

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YOMTnLHDWRA?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YOMTnLHDWRA?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

BigRichard
04-19-2011, 06:21 AM

Are you a mult or just a complete dumbass?

Stanley Nickels
04-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Where did anybody get the "thousands of fans" figure? This would be a record-setting open mic night if thousands attended. Performance art is meant, obviously, to push boundaries, whether it forces people to question their beliefs, consider emotional issues, or raise any other host of moral and ethical questions. To that extent, killing yourself can be performance art. The difference here is in the expectations. If you're going to open mic night, you are not signing up to witness any and all acts of humanity... If this guy were to invite people to his suicide, their attendance would imply they were responsible for all future trauma, etc. That this audience applauded at the end is not a sign that they approved, but possibly were cheering the end of his act, much like any other performer. To that extent, this guy is a complete asshole; his public suicide in front of a captive audience is selfish and malicious. Adios, amigo.

Jaric
04-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Absolutely, dead on.

She really cut right to the chase.

Reaper16
04-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Are you autistic?

When you seek information, do you 'perform an internet search' or do you 'google it?'

No reason people can't talk about 'Huluing' episodes of The Office, or 'youtubing' a standup's suicide.

And while we're on the subject of syntax, imaginative?
I don't have a problem with making a noun into a verb. It's common enough. It's annoying when someone uses quotation marks around a common instance of noun-to-verb' it feels like they are hesitating. That isn't what SS did here, though. He turned a noun into a completely different noun. "I seek information about _____. I wonder if there is a "google" of it." Or, "I missed The Office last night. I wonder if there is a "hulu" of it." It sounds significantly more awkward.

W/r/t to imaginative, it is an adjective. One of its definitions is "having no truth; false."

DA_T_84
04-19-2011, 09:36 AM
blah, blah, blah, blah

Tits or get the fuck out.

SNR
04-19-2011, 09:42 AM
You know whats amazing?

There was what? Hundreds, thousands of people in the audience? And not one of those motherf*ckers attempted to even stop it! just goes to show how stupid people are.I know. Whenever I perform at open-mic nights in coffee bars, I ALWAYS bring in 50,000. At the minimum. That's probably why this guy offed himself. He took a look at the measly few hundred audience members in the coffee house and said, "Damn, I suck. I think I'll kill myself."

SNR
04-19-2011, 09:44 AM

And really, the jokes have gone too far, can we just move on?Wait, wait wait... I got one more!

I heard his favorite football player was Jay Cutler

MOhillbilly
04-19-2011, 09:47 AM
I don't have a problem with making a noun into a verb. It's common enough. It's annoying when someone uses quotation marks around a common instance of noun-to-verb' it feels like they are hesitating. That isn't what SS did here, though. He turned a noun into a completely different noun. "I seek information about _____. I wonder if there is a "google" of it." Or, "I missed The Office last night. I wonder if there is a "hulu" of it." It sounds significantly more awkward.

W/r/t to imaginative, it is an adjective. One of its definitions is "having no truth; false."

Are you sure you didn't have my Grandmother for 6th grade English?

Donger
04-19-2011, 09:48 AM

:spock:

How do you know that he "was crying out of for help"?

SNR
04-19-2011, 09:49 AM

W/r/t to imaginative, it is an adjective. One of its definitions is "having no truth; false."Wow. Way to dissect that stuff

(Dissect... with a knife... on stage... at open-mic night...)

Phobia
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM

When one kills themselves with a knife, it's not a 20 minute skit. I'm sure it happened very quickly. People were in shock.

What is the procedure for assisting somebody who is sticking a knife in their chest?

Not only that but *somebody* helped him. He was rushed to a hospital where he died. I think you just want to bitch to bitch. The guy died doing something he apparently enjoyed. It was pretty rude of him but I guess I forgive him. He also made it incredibly memorable so, good for him I guess. Doesn't mean it's anybody's fault, unless you want to trash a dead man.

Superturtle
04-19-2011, 09:54 AM
http://www2.imperial.ac.uk/blogs/studentblogs/annabel/files/2009/03/funny-pictures-cat-prays-the-lock-on-the-door-works.jpg

Sofa King
04-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Wait, wait wait... I got one more!

I heard his favorite football player was Jay Cutler

yeah....

i'd stab myself to death as well...

Rain Man
04-19-2011, 10:25 AM
article in OP says in front of about 15 people

I prefer to trust my intuition on this, and I think it was closer to 50,000. Coffee houses are big business these days. Starbucks didn't get that big with crowds of 15 customers.

SNR
04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
I prefer to trust my intuition on this, and I think it was closer to 50,000. Coffee houses are big business these days. Starbucks didn't get that big with crowds of 15 customers.
Ah. Well, there goes my explanation

crazycoffey
04-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Do we still not know what song it was?
I guessed "cuts like a knife" before, but I want to change to Beck's "loser"

Fish
04-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Do we still not know what song it was?
I guessed "cuts like a knife" before, but I want to change to Beck's "loser"

Did you not make it through the first sentence of the article?

crazycoffey
04-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Did you not make it through the first sentence of the article?

ROFL - I totally missed it, several times.

Looks like it's his own song

Thig Lyfe
04-19-2011, 03:00 PM
I think what's being lost in all this is that the guy was not a comedian. Not sure where the fuck teedubya got that from. But I guess I'm missing the point.

Hog Farmer
04-19-2011, 04:06 PM
This is just dumb! If he really wanted to amaze the audience he should have put a .44 mag to the back of his head and blown brains all over the audience. Then they'd not only have something to remember but most would even have a sovenier to take home.

Groves
04-19-2011, 04:10 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfr4uz8KS01qc8pm4o1_500.jpg

7 years ago at a not-huge college in the middle of Nebraska, I happened to catch Gallagher doing his schtick to a sparsely populated set of visitors bleachers on the football field. My how the mighty have fallen. I didn't even stop to watch.

Thig Lyfe
04-19-2011, 04:20 PM
This kid wasn't a comedian. He wasn't doing comedy. All comedy-related posts in this thread are invalid and irrelevant. I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS HERE!

SNR
04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
This kid wasn't a comedian. He wasn't doing comedy. All comedy-related posts in this thread are invalid and irrelevant. I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS HERE!From the opening sentence of the article:

A troubled 19-year-old stabbed himself to death on stage at an open mic night after playing a song called Sorry For All the Mess.

That doesn't tickle your funny bone at all?

Thig Lyfe
04-19-2011, 04:27 PM
From the opening sentence of the article:

That doesn't tickle your funny bone at all?

I certainly acknowledge the dark irony of the incident, but I'm talking about some FACTUALLY INACCURATE SHIT right now. Nowhere in the article does it say he was a comedian or that he was performing comedy. It seems pretty clear that the open mic in question was a musical one. But teedubya is free to post his COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED CLAIMS which go COMPLETELY UNCHECKED by the CP population! THIS IS HOW LIES SPREAD!!!!!!!!

Just Passin' By
04-19-2011, 04:31 PM
I certainly acknowledge the dark irony of the incident, but I'm talking about some FACTUALLY INACCURATE SHIT right now. Nowhere in the article does it say he was a comedian or that he was performing comedy. It seems pretty clear that the open mic in question was a musical one. But teedubya is free to post his COMPLETELY UNSUPPORTED CLAIMS which go COMPLETELY UNCHECKED by the CP population! THIS IS HOW LIES SPREAD!!!!!!!!

That's cutting to the heart of the matter.

Donger
04-19-2011, 04:32 PM
That's cutting to the heart of the matter.

Aorta smack you for that one.

SNR
04-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Aorta smack you for that one.LMAO

munkey
04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
I used to grab a coffee at SO every other morning until the bank moved it's business banking department downtown....

Donger
04-19-2011, 06:22 PM
I used to grab a coffee at SO every other morning until the bank moved it's business banking department downtown....

That's pretty vein.

Rain Man
04-19-2011, 07:00 PM
I think what's being lost in all this is that the guy was not a comedian. Not sure where the **** teedubya got that from. But I guess I'm missing the point.

The way his act died on stage, I think it's pretty safe to say he wasn't a comedian.

ForeverChiefs58
04-19-2011, 09:43 PM
The way his act died on stage, I think it's pretty safe to say he wasn't a comedian.

what do ya mean? I heard he killed it.

ForeverChiefs58
04-19-2011, 11:50 PM
I am surprised he didn't do it on a dance floor, I bet he could really cut a rug.

Thig Lyfe
04-19-2011, 11:55 PM
I want the goddamn TITLE of this thread FIXED.

kysirsoze
04-20-2011, 02:38 AM
I want the goddamn TITLE of this thread FIXED.

This is a weird thing to give a shit about.

Pawnmower
04-20-2011, 03:36 AM
double-edged performance

Sofa King
04-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Are we 100% sure he wasn't a vampire?

http://www.hollywoodtoday.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/snipes-in-blade-3.jpg