PDA

View Full Version : Football Not good, Not good at all ... retired players sue Union

Mr. Laz
04-18-2011, 05:20 PM
<table width="99%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr></tr><tr><td id="dnn_LeftPane" class="LeftPane" valign="top">

</td><td id="dnn_ContentPane" class="ContentPane" valign="top"> <table> <tbody><tr> <td> 5 retired stars sue NFL players' union

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top"> <table width="50px" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center" bgcolor="#CC0000"> Apr</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"> 18</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td valign="top"> 4/18/2011 2:59:01 PM <table> <tbody><tr> <td> | More
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td> Five former stars claim the National Football League Players Association and its for-profit Players, Inc. subsidiary defrauded thousands of former NFL players out of lucrative royalties when video games, apparel companies, football card manufacturers and others used their images according to Carl Prine of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_732837.html). The class-action lawsuit was filed Wednesday in federal court in Los Angeles, but has gone relatively unnoticed.

"We're just getting started," said former Cleveland Browns defensive back Bernie Parrish. "We're going to finish the fight we started in 2007."

The lawsuit comes at a time when the union says that it no longer exists. Shortly before the 32 NFL owners instituted a nationwide lockout on March 12, the union decertified, a strategy that allowed individual active players to sue the NFL as an illegal monopoly in federal court. That case continues in Minnesota while the players and owners haggle over wage, safety, drug testing and other issues in court-supervised mediation.

"We are not a union," said Players Association spokesman Carl Francis in Washington. "So as to how the case will be handled, I am not sure."

The current class-action lawsuit is led by Parrish, former Baltimore Colts linebacker Bob Grant, Minnesota Vikings running back Clinton Jones, Washington Redskins receiver Walter Roberts III and Cincinnati Bengals safety Marvin Cobb. They estimate that 15,000 other former players allegedly could take part in the lawsuit, including numerous ex-Steelers.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg (http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg)

</td></tr></tbody></table>

</td></tr></tbody></table>

kstater
04-18-2011, 05:23 PM
They didn't sue the NFL.

DA_T_84
04-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Title change

Rain Man
04-18-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm going to be ticked if they take Bernie Parrish, Bob Grant, Clinton Jones, Walter Roberts III, and Marvin Cobb out of my video games.

Ebolapox
04-18-2011, 05:27 PM
five former stars? never heard of ANY of them.

Mr. Laz
04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
They didn't sue the NFL.

Title change
sorry ... got it

chefsos
04-18-2011, 05:31 PM

I've heard of Parrish. I think. There are a lot of Parrishes around, though.

Jaric
04-18-2011, 05:31 PM

Yeah. That's a fairly liberal use of the word "stars" if I've ever seen it.

chefsos
04-18-2011, 05:33 PM
sorry ... got it
It's not a union!! /Carl Francis

Ebolapox
04-18-2011, 05:33 PM
I mean... is bernie parrish robert 'the chief' parrish's brother or something?

Mr. Laz
04-18-2011, 05:36 PM
this shit just makes everything more messy and the legal system fucks everything up.

Jaric
04-18-2011, 05:37 PM
This is all a plot to keep the Superbowl out of Indianapolis.

****ers...

EDIT: <------ Lives in Indianapolis

Bacon Cheeseburger
04-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah I'm guessing if they were actually "stars" they wouldn't be fucking around with some harebrained scheme to shake down the union for some money.

Chiefnj2
04-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Good for them. Maybe the older players the current union claims they care so much about will get some concessions in the soon-to-be-reached CBA.

FAX
04-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Long overdue.

The NFLPA has become little more than a racketeering organization.

FAX