PDA

View Full Version : Misc Wiffle Ball and other kids games deemed too dangerous

Stinger
04-19-2011, 11:25 AM
NEW YORK (FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) -

The New York Deptartment of Health is considering a plan to label games likes kickball, whiffleball, Freeze Tag and horseshoes, dodgeball, capture the flag, and red rover as dangerous for children at day camps. Any day camp offering those activities would require local and state regulation, the New York Daily News reported.

New York State Sen. Patty Ritchie calls this the most ridiculous law she’s ever heard.

"Once again, it's a knee-jerk reaction," Ritchie told the Poughkeepsie Journal disputing the notion that the games are dangerous and "pose a significant risk of injury" to kids.

"I'm just trying to save summer," Ritchie said. "This has been a really tough winter. People have been inside, and now when it’s time kids should be outdoors being active and participating in some sort of sports activities, we are doing the exact opposite.

New York has a new law on the book, that took effect in April, which requires increased government oversight of indoor day camps.

A spokesperson for the New York Dept. of Health said the list of activities is only advisory and is meant to help towns.

"It's only for guidance," said Diane Mathis, noting that the NY Camp Directors Association supports the law, along with a number of local health departments.

Read more: http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/national/freeze-tag-wiffle-ball-deemed-dangerous-20110419#ixzz1JzErHXxA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NY Daily News story.......

State bureaucrats have created a list of 'risky activities' for kids at summer camp. The list includes freeze tag, Wiffle Ball and kickball, among other games and activities.

ALBANY - State bureaucrats have identified a potentially deadly hazard facing our children this summer - freeze tag.

That's right, officials have decided the age-old street game - along with Wiffle Ball, kickball and dodgeball - poses a "significant risk of injury."

And classics like Capture the Flag, Steal the Bacon and Red Rover are also deemed dangerous in new state regulations for day camps.

"It looks like Albany bureaucrats are looking for kids to just sit in a corner in a house all day and not be outside," said state Sen. Patty Ritchie (R-St. Lawrence County).

"I don't think Wiffle Ball is a dangerous sport."

The Health Department created a list of supposedly risky recreational activities - which also includes more perilous pursuits like archery, scuba and horseback riding - in response to a state law passed in 2009.

The law sought to close a loophole that legislators said allowed too many indoor camp programs to operate without oversight.

Under the new rules, any program that offers two or more organized recreational activities - with at least one of them on the risky list - is deemed a summer camp and subject to state regulation.

Ritchie said the regulations could cripple small recreational programs, forcing them to pay a $200 fee to register as a summer camp and provide medical staff.

And many parents felt like state officials were being, well, wimpy.

Kimberly Baxter, 27, a medical assistant from South Ozone Park, Queens, said she played freeze tag with abandon as a youngster.

"I never got hurt, maybe scraped my knee once in a while but that was it," said Baxter, mom to a 1-year-old girl.

Deborah Graham, 51, a mother of two from Harlem, said moving around was less harmful than playing video games all summer.

"You could develop Carpal Tunnel Syndrome," she said. "And when (kids) eat, eat, and eat, they get diabetes. That's dangerous."

The state Camp Directors Association backed the 2009 law, and Health Department spokeswoman Diane Mathis said the list of risky activities was crafted with help from camp groups.

She said the list - which labeled Frisbee, tug of war and sack races as safe - was offered only as "guidance" to local governments and organization.

She stressed that not every program will need to hire medical staff. Some simply need to have a plan in place to deal with medical emergencies.

"There will be flexibility in how the law is implemented," Mathis said.

Susan Craig, a spokeswoman for the city Health Department, said the new law is not expected to have much impact since most city programs already meet the state requirements.

While many New Yorkers scoffed at the idea of tag leading to traumatic brain or spinal injury, Bronx resident Kim Wainwright said it's better to be safe than sorry.

"Kids these days are kinda brutal so I can see those games being dangerous," said Wainwright, who has a 5-year-old. "I agree with it."

With Mark Morales and Tanyanika Samuels

gblain@nydailynews.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/04/19/2011-04-19_classic_kids_games_like_kickball_deemed_unsafe_by_state_in_effort_to_increase_su.html

:doh!: :doh!: :doh!: :doh!:

Not trying to be political here just pointing out the Stupid. If it deemed to need to change forums please feel free.

Rain Man
04-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Off topic, but I once got caught in a hail storm that had whiffle-ball size hail. It looked scary, but it didn't hurt at all.

Mr. Plow
04-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I've had to completely eliminate Hungry Hungry Hippos from my house with all the potential injuries that could occur to my kids.

Mr. Plow
04-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Off topic, but I once got caught in a hail storm that had whiffle-ball size hail. It looked scary, but it didn't hurt at all.

That's because the hail was full of holes and paper thin. Plus that plastic bat you were carrying around with you.

SNR
04-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Kids are impervious. When I was 8 a friend of mine dared me to jump off the roof of my house (one story). It was probably a good 10 feet or so.

Yeah, the landing hurt, but I didn't break anything, and I went the rest of the day playing like nothing happened.

Dartgod
04-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Kick ball is dangerous. I remember in 5th grade, Charlie Stevens (who could kick the shit out of the ball, BTW), hit Miss Penney square in the face on a home run to center field. It knocked her flat on her ass and Mr. Shikles (the principal) had to help her inside to the health room.

We all hated Miss Penney though, so we thought it was pretty funny. I'm sure we even laughed out loud (not LOL, this was pre-internet).

Bump
04-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Jesus Christ

Donger
04-19-2011, 11:37 AM
I think it's a wise decision. Some kids have a lot of pent-up aggression and those are the kids who ruin it for the others. I think that their time would be better spent sitting down and exploring their emotions, instead of engaging in such war-like activities.

Dartgod
04-19-2011, 11:37 AM
I think I got in trouble for hitting my sister with a wiffle ball bat too. It didn't really hurt her, but my ass was sore for days from the beating my dad gave me.

Rain Man
04-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Kick ball is dangerous. I remember in 5th grade, Charlie Stevens (who could kick the shit out of the ball, BTW), hit Miss Penney square in the face on a home run to center field. It knocked her flat on her ass and Mr. Shikles (the principal) had to help her inside to the health room.

We all hated Miss Penney though, so we thought it was pretty funny. I'm sure we even laughed out loud (not LOL, this was pre-internet).

Did she get hit while she was standing in center field, or did it go into center field after caroming off of her face while she was standing near the pitcher's mound? The second story would be more impressive.

Bump
04-19-2011, 11:40 AM
The Bible should be deemed as too scary for kids under 16 to read. Like Jesus cussing out that fig tree because it didn't have any figs? The woman fucking that snake?? And God trying to get Adam to fuck animals to mate with, anybody wonder why some people might be into bestiality? Jesus driving possessed demon pigs into the ocean? COME ON!

notorious
04-19-2011, 11:41 AM
"I did it like this."

"I did it like that."

"I did it with a Wiffle Ball bat sooooooo....."

Deberg_1990
Any day camp offering those activities would require local and state regulation, the New York Daily News reported.

Yes because more gov. regulation is always a good solution.

Bump
I think it's a wise decision. Some kids have a lot of pent-up aggression and those are the kids who ruin it for the others. I think that their time would be better spent sitting down and exploring their emotions, instead of engaging in such war-like activities.

The best way for kids to let a little aggression out is to sit down with a nice glass of lithium water.

/government

Valiant
04-19-2011, 11:43 AM
No wonder the terrorist targeted them bunch of pussies.. too soon??

Demonpenz
04-19-2011, 11:45 AM
first off. Sweet Beastie boys Reference, second, I played lawn darts in the street.

kepp
04-19-2011, 11:47 AM
That's sad. Some of my best childhood memories are from the wiffle ball field that me and my best friend made. Yeah, we got pegged with the ball every once in a while, but it just left a little welt. Nothing dangerous about it.

Dartgod
04-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Did she get hit while she was standing in center field, or did it go into center field after caroming off of her face while she was standing near the pitcher's mound? The second story would be more impressive.
No. Center field was kind of where the basketball goals were. And knowing Miss Penney, she was over there chastising some poor kid playing basketball for not doing his homework or his shirt was untucked or something like that. She happened to turn towards the kickball diamond right as Charlie's blast was zeroing in on her face.

If I remember correctly, Charlie stood over her lifeless body with his fist cocked, similar to Ali standing over Liston.

Hydrae
04-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I just want to read a story about some kid who received life-threatening injuries from playing wiffle ball. Just one.

MOhillbilly
04-19-2011, 11:59 AM
i reckon smear the queer is outta the question then.

tooge
04-19-2011, 12:00 PM
I was at a buddy's house a few years ago. One son was in a baby chair sucking on a pacifier, and the other was pitching me a wiffle ball. He grooves one to me and I rip it hard to the left side. Unfortunately, the little kid was right in the line of flight. WHAM! Whiffle ball to the left side of the face. It even left the little wiffle marks on his cheek. I quickly dropped the bat, looked at the older son, we both nodded, and went inside. Mom comes running, "what happened?" Older son says, not sure, he just started crying.

DaFace
04-19-2011, 12:01 PM
(sigh...)

Fish
04-19-2011, 12:01 PM
I used to get spanked with a whiffleball bat when I was a kid....

Buncha pussies...

Donger
04-19-2011, 12:04 PM
I just want to read a story about some kid who received life-threatening injuries from playing wiffle ball. Just one.

Well, that depends. What about the fat, ugly kid who can't hit a ball to save his life? Do we really know how much emotional torture and mental anguish is derived from sucking at wiffle ball?

That question now goes away, and good riddance.

Stinger
04-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, that depends. What about the fat, ugly kid who can't hit a ball to save his life? Do we really know how much emotional torture and mental anguish is derived from sucking at wiffle ball?

Eh .... they turn out ok they end up doing stand up with knife props....

mikey23545
04-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Perhaps children <i>should</i> just stay inside, with their cerebral cortex jacks plugged into the government main frame, downloading behavioral protocols and obedience algorithms.

Thank you, Big Brother!

blaise
04-19-2011, 12:11 PM
It's probably too risky for them to even ride a bus or car to day camp to begin with.

AndChiefs
04-19-2011, 12:12 PM
It's probably too risky for them to even ride a bus or car to day camp to begin with.

This would save them.

http://www.kornorstone.com/db3/00225/kornorstone.com/_uimages/BubbleBoy1.jpg

Spicy McHaggis
04-19-2011, 12:13 PM

That question now goes away, and good riddance.

These recess games are the entire foundation of under 10 social hierarchy. The system will collapse without them.

teedubya
04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Let's just sit them on the couch until they are 18... feed them shitty food... let them watch as much TV and video games as their heart desires. And America will be AWESOME in the 2030s. Some of us may still be able to bend over to tie our shoes.

What a joke.

Amnorix
04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
I was at a buddy's house a few years ago. One son was in a baby chair sucking on a pacifier, and the other was pitching me a wiffle ball. He grooves one to me and I rip it hard to the left side. Unfortunately, the little kid was right in the line of flight. WHAM! Whiffle ball to the left side of the face. It even left the little wiffle marks on his cheek. I quickly dropped the bat, looked at the older son, we both nodded, and went inside. Mom comes running, "what happened?" Older son says, not sure, he just started crying.

I was a pathetic ball player, but the hardest ball I ever hit was in about third grade -- a screaming line drive right into the eye of the third basemen. Poor bastard caught with his eye the only ball I ever hit worth a damn...

I remember standing at first feeling really bad about the kid, really good about finally hitting the ball hard, and wondering if I should be taking second since nobody at all was paying attention to the ball sitting out in the middle of left-center field. Kids are heartless...

Bump
04-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Chutes and Ladders and Candy Land are too violent, sexy and druggy for kids too. Chutes and Ladders, are you kidding? That's all about sex. Candy Land teaches kids to crave cocaine and must be banned NOW.

vailpass
04-19-2011, 12:32 PM

LMAO

KC Dan
04-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I was a pathetic ball player, but the hardest ball I ever hit was in about third grade -- a screaming line drive right into the eye of the third basemen. Poor bastard caught with his eye the only ball I ever hit worth a damn...

I remember standing at first feeling really bad about the kid, really good about finally hitting the ball hard, and wondering if I should be taking second since nobody at all was paying attention to the ball sitting out in the middle of left-center field. Kids are heartless...well, did you? take 2nd?

Graystoke
04-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Can you imagine being in a time warp with todays "Safety" standards and going back 30 years. Ha! Kids in bike helmets??? You would guarentee getting your ass kicked wearing something that queer.
I remember when playgrounds were made of sharp steel. Kids played smear the queer, kickball, shot each other with BB guns, played tackle football without gear, dodgeball etc...

Its the pussification of our kids....but hey they can really operate that joystick.

Otter
04-19-2011, 12:42 PM
It will be a cold day in hell before I spend another dime in that shit hole.

Hydrae
04-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Let's just sit them on the couch until they are 18... feed them shitty food... let them watch as much TV and video games as their heart desires. And America will be AWESOME in the 2030s. Some of us may still be able to bend over to tie our shoes.

What a joke.

Ever watch the movie Wall-E?

KC Dan
04-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Its the pussification of our kids....but hey they can really operate that joystick.and, get fatter and fatter and fatter and dumber and dumber and dumber....

notorious
04-19-2011, 12:51 PM
but hey they can really operate that joystick.

If they get any fatter they won't be able to find that joystick.

KC Dan
04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
If they get any fatter they won't be able to find that joystick.They are called "game controllers". damn old people LMAO ( i am one)

notorious
04-19-2011, 12:59 PM
They are called "game controllers". damn old people LMAO ( i am one)

Meh, eventually they will be too fat and lazy to even care what their joystick is "up to".

Phobia
04-19-2011, 01:01 PM
I think it's a good idea because if they don't outlaw it then maybe some lawyer is going to use a broken leg as an opportunity to buy himself a new Ferrari.

Phobia
04-19-2011, 01:01 PM
This would save them.

http://www.kornorstone.com/db3/00225/kornorstone.com/_uimages/BubbleBoy1.jpg

Oh my word! That child could suffocate. SAVE HIM!!!!

Lonewolf Ed
04-19-2011, 01:03 PM
I've had to completely eliminate Hungry Hungry Hippos from my house with all the potential injuries that could occur to my kids.

That game is a cuticle catastrophe just waiting to happen.

KurtCobain
04-19-2011, 03:24 PM
This is sick. First they take out Red Rover and now everything else.

Bob Dole
04-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Our children won't be truly safe until the Feds mandate that every child wear protective headgear 24/7/365. Only then will Bob Dole be able to sleep without worrying about the future!

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
ROFL Save the Children!!!!!

CoMoChief
04-19-2011, 05:08 PM

http://3.media.bustedtees.cvcdn.com/a/7/bustedtees.da18711a57183c156aa4bda742483150.gif

Fish
04-19-2011, 05:11 PM
When kickball is outlawed..... only outlaws will play kickball.....

Frazod
04-19-2011, 05:14 PM
I assume they'd frown on the BB gun/bottlerocket fights my friends and I used to have when we were kids.

CrazyPhuD
04-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Heh I love how people think this is actually about things being dangerous, I'd be willing to bet if you got an honest answer from the bill writers they would admit it's not. It's a bill sponsored by the larger camps in that state that is designed to effectively reduce competition by small companies who can less afford the regulatory expense. It's a land grab who's justification is 'safety'. The problem is everyone will focus on the 'safety' aspect and miss the real goal which is to run the smaller organizations out of town/and or weaken their competition versus the big boys. This is lobbying at it's finest.

Garcia Bronco
04-19-2011, 05:26 PM
"I did it like this."

"I did it like that."

"I did it with a Wiffle Ball bat sooooooo....."

I am on the run, the cops got my gun
And right about now it's time to have some fun.

crazycoffey
04-19-2011, 05:32 PM
I assume they'd frown on the BB gun/bottlerocket fights my friends and I used to have when we were kids.

I was just thinking the same thing. where were those lawyers when our young fragile minds and growing bodies needed to be saved....

teedubya
04-19-2011, 06:22 PM
Shit, we played "Lights out dodgeball" in the gymnasium in high school... Until the big jock got hit in the face point blank range by one of the other jocks... Knocked him out, gave him a concussion... And was taken to the hospital. Heh.

Complete darkness. That game was terrifying.

Psyko Tek
04-19-2011, 06:42 PM
of that fucking does it

I am going to search out a lawn dart set for my boys
( 16 and 12)
TIME THEY LEARN LIFE FUCKING HURTS
GET USED TO IT

AND HAVE AS MUCH FUN AS POSSIBLE ON THE WAY

dtebbe
04-19-2011, 08:04 PM
I did it like this, I did it like that, I did it with a Wiffle ball bat soooooooo..

stevieray
04-19-2011, 09:49 PM
that kind of overwhelming adversity must be eliminated at all costs.

Chiefshrink
04-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Gotta love those "ambulance chasers"!!! Tort reform, NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

listopencil
04-19-2011, 11:09 PM
OK, but what is "Steal The Bacon"?

listopencil
04-19-2011, 11:10 PM
The object of Steal the Bacon is take the "bacon" back to your own side without being caught.
In this game, two teams are chosen, and one umpire is selected. One object is required to the bacon. (a glove is a common choice)
The members of each team are numbered. They form two opposing lines and place the bacon in the exact center between them.
The umpire then calls out a number. The players on each side who are assigned that number are the players for that round. No other team members leave their side of the field.
Neither player may touch the other until someone touches the bacon. Once a player touches the bacon however, the other player may tag him/her.
If a player is able to grab the bacon and carry it back over to his/her own side, that team scores a point. (VARIATION: in some games, points are scored by carrying it to the other teams side or either team's side)
If a player is tagged after touching the bacon and before he/she returns their own side, the team that tagged him/her scores a point.
Note that the sequence of play usually involves the two kids running out and hovering over the bacon, waiting for a slight advantage to grab it and run back before the other player can react.
The game is over when a predetermined number of points are scored, or when all numbers have been called.
VARIATION: The umpire can call more than one number, in which case several players from each side participate. In some games, players may tag any player on the opposing team, in others, a player may only tag the player on the other team that they share a number with.

listopencil
04-19-2011, 11:11 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TuGoCqoZ6po" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am now fascinated with "Steal The Bacon".

KILLER_CLOWN
04-20-2011, 12:35 AM
When i was a kid we had to resort to wiffle bat fights because all the parents didn't like the idea of us shooting BB guns at each other.

KILLER_CLOWN
04-20-2011, 12:36 AM

Ahh the good old days back when we didn't realise that we could shoot a kids eye completely out.

CrazyPhuD
04-20-2011, 12:42 AM
What I want to really know is 'smear the queer' on the list? But we really have pussified our society in general, back in elementary school we used to play tackle basketball on the asphalt. I think that might be frowned upon now.

-King-
04-20-2011, 03:47 AM
Shit, we played "Lights out dodgeball" in the gymnasium in high school... Until the big jock got hit in the face point blank range by one of the other jocks... Knocked him out, gave him a concussion... And was taken to the hospital. Heh.

Complete darkness. That game was terrifying.

Holy shit. As cool as that sounds...id probably sit that game out. FUCK THAT! By high school, most of my boys in my gym classes could throw the fuck out of the ball....so yeah...no.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bump
04-20-2011, 08:34 AM
it's great that they are utilizing their time and money so well. Tackling huge problems in this country like kids having good old fashion fun, instead of any stupid problems like health care and illegals.

Rain Man
04-20-2011, 09:13 AM
When i was a kid we had to resort to wiffle bat fights because all the parents didn't like the idea of us shooting BB guns at each other.

there's a very scary gang in los angeles that kills people with wiffle bats. it's frightening because it takes a group of them up to seven hours to kill a man.
Posted via Mobile Device

FishingRod
04-20-2011, 09:42 AM
So I’m guessing BB Gun fights are still ok?

crazycoffey
04-20-2011, 09:55 AM
So Iím guessing BB Gun fights are still ok?

Yes, but not ready threads has become more hazardous to everyone

AndChiefs
04-20-2011, 09:58 AM
there's a very scary gang in los angeles that kills people with wiffle bats. it's frightening because it takes a group of them up to seven hours to kill a man.
Posted via Mobile Device

Too bad it takes the cops 10 hours to get there.