PDA

View Full Version : Life Friday Morning Poll: Epic Journeys

Rain Man
04-22-2011, 09:47 AM
In the accompanying poll (be patient), which epic journey would you most like to do?

luv
04-22-2011, 10:02 AM
My dad is a huge baseball fan. When he retires, one of the items on his bucket list is to spend one baseball season circling the US and attending at least one game in every major league baseball stadium. He figured, he'd start out with KC, then head westward from there, circle around and end in St. Louis.

luv
04-22-2011, 10:03 AM
For me, I would love to drive from NY to LA.

Sofa King
04-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Do any of these trips include being accompanied by Adriana Lima?

patteeu
04-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Hiking, biking, and walking great distances don't appeal to me. A long, scenic train trip or cruise would be nice, but I've always been interested in South America so I chose the float down the Amazon option.

Dicky McElephant
04-22-2011, 10:16 AM
On the cruise around the world.......how often do they stop?

Rain Man
04-22-2011, 10:27 AM
On the cruise around the world.......how often do they stop?

On the ads I've seen, I think there's a stop every couple of days or so. Maybe 40 stops on a 100 day cruise as a rough guess.

Rain Man
04-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Hiking, biking, and walking great distances don't appeal to me. A long, scenic train trip or cruise would be nice, but I've always been interested in South America so I chose the float down the Amazon option.

I definitely could go for the Amazon option. It was between it and the walk across the U.S. and the Trans-Manchurian railroad for me.

seclark
04-22-2011, 10:35 AM
are we traveling alone, or w/someone else?

alone, i'd take the float trip down the missouri/mississippi.

if we're with our spouse, none of those would work. probably just take her to a marathon race and watch her run. follow it up w/a trip to the mall and wait in the car while she shops.
sec

rockymtnchief
04-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Hike the Continental Divide. It would be damn tough, but worth it.

Rain Man
04-22-2011, 10:50 AM
are we traveling alone, or w/someone else?

alone, i'd take the float trip down the missouri/mississippi.

if we're with our spouse, none of those would work. probably just take her to a marathon race and watch her run. follow it up w/a trip to the mall and wait in the car while she shops.
sec

I think you're on your own on this one, particularly since I didn't have any epic shopping options.

ClevelandBronco
04-22-2011, 11:00 AM
I'll take all of the rivers. If I'm limited to one, it's the Yangtse.

seclark
04-22-2011, 11:15 AM
I think you're on your own on this one, particularly since I didn't have any epic shopping options.

in that case:

"Ol' Man River, that Ol' Man River
He don't say nothin', but he must know somethin'
He just keeps rollin', he keeps on rollin' along"

RockChalk
04-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Hike the trail Lewis & Clarke took.

I was at the Arch last summer and went through the museum where it shows the trail and pictures of their adventure. Got me hooked. Not sure if I'd want to share it with anyone or not, maybe just me and my two dogs.

blaise
04-22-2011, 11:21 AM
I met a guy at a party that had gone to somewhere in northern Russia and then taken a trip on a nuclear powered ice-breaker to the North Pole, or near the North Pole. He had a lot of pictures of ice.

I went with the Trans-Siberian railroad option here.

Iowanian
04-22-2011, 11:23 AM
My brother in law's parents called last night via satellite phone from the base camp of Mt Everest.(true)

I think that's pretty epic for for a couple of retired people.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
04-22-2011, 11:29 AM
I had a great trip around Great Britian in 2003. We went over to watch the World Kendo Championships in Glasgow that year and had the opportunity to do Kendo with the Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff, Birmingham clubs as well as two clubs in London.

I'd love to try that train trip from Glasgow to Greece and schedule as many dojo visits between the two destinations as I could. There are big Kendo groups in Great Britian, the Netherlands, France, Germany, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Romania.

RockChalk
04-22-2011, 11:29 AM
My brother in law's parents called last night via satellite phone from the base camp of Mt Everest.(true)

I think that's pretty epic for for a couple of retired people.

Isn't April-May the only "decent" weather time period for attempts to hike it? I don't think that's something I could ever attempt

Lonewolf Ed
04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
My epic adventure was not listed. I want to go to England and see castles and pubs in the Cotswolds, and make a stop in Cheddar, England and eat the sharpest, tangiest cheddar they have even if it makes my salivary glands implode, then go to Scotland and stay in a castle or two, hike around Loch Ness, and then head over to Denmark to see some of the castles I have not seen there yet. The Great Castle, Pub, and Country Tour is my epic journey and it might take 6 weeks or more to complete. I'm up for it.

MOhillbilly
04-22-2011, 11:32 AM
through hike the AP all the way.

patteeu
04-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Hike the trail Lewis & Clarke took.

I was at the Arch last summer and went through the museum where it shows the trail and pictures of their adventure. Got me hooked. Not sure if I'd want to share it with anyone or not, maybe just me and my two dogs.

We took a family driving vacation along the Oregon Trail the summer after my youngest daughter studied it in the 4th grade. She got to be our tour guide at some points along the way so it was a lot of fun for her. We actually left the Oregon Trail in Wyoming and followed the Mormon trail (more or less) to Salt Lake City and then made a big circle through Yosemite, San Francisco, Crater Lake, and Yellowstone. We all had a lot of fun. I bet you could do something similar, but more northern, with the Lewis & Clark trail.

ClevelandBronco
04-22-2011, 11:37 AM
I've wanted to take a tour of European concentration camp sites for a while now. I can't really say why.

seclark
04-22-2011, 11:40 AM
i don't mean to nitpick, and correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the lewis & clark trail pretty much the same as floating the missouri river?
sec

MIAdragon
04-22-2011, 11:40 AM
I'd like to orbit the earth.

Iowanian
04-22-2011, 11:49 AM
i don't mean to nitpick, and correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the lewis & clark trail pretty much the same as floating the missouri river?
sec

For a more realistic experience, for $200/day plus expenses, I'll follow your group and shoot random flaming arrows over your canoe and into your camp at night and maybe scalp a couple of the people in the group to add to the experience.

seclark
04-22-2011, 12:04 PM
For a more realistic experience, for $200/day plus expenses, I'll follow your group and shoot random flaming arrows over your canoe and into your camp at night and maybe scalp a couple of the people in the group to add to the experience.

toss in a dog and indian maiden guide and we'll talk about it.

Rain Man
04-22-2011, 12:42 PM
sec

I was concerned about that, but wanted hiking and canoeing to be on there. So the hike is east to west (Lewis & Clark), while the canoeing is west to east (Clark & Lewis).

Slainte
04-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Hiking on the Great Wall of China...

Hydrae
04-22-2011, 12:54 PM
My dad is a huge baseball fan. When he retires, one of the items on his bucket list is to spend one baseball season circling the US and attending at least one game in every major league baseball stadium. He figured, he'd start out with KC, then head westward from there, circle around and end in St. Louis.

This sounds like a lot of fun! I also have thoughts that after retirement I would like to follow the NASCAR series from track to track for a season. Great excuse to see a large portion of the country.

I voted for the cruise around the world. My wife and I have always said that is one of the first things we would do if we won the lottery. Too bad I don't spend any money on the lottery, it makes it a little hard to win. :)

Hydrae
04-22-2011, 12:59 PM
I've wanted to take a tour of European concentration camp sites for a while now. I can't really say why.

I was able to go to Dachau during a school band trip to Europe in 1976. Those images will remain with me for life. Thinking about it now, 35 years later, will still give me chills. Very moving experience but I don't know that I could do a tour of several of them.

Dave Lane
04-22-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm going to go with Cross the Sahara on a camel caravan. I'll take my scope along and get some hellish shots at nite in the desert.

rockymtnchief
04-22-2011, 02:31 PM
sec

Not quite. On the return trip they split up in Montana. Clark traveled down to the Paradise Valley and took the Yellowstone River route. I'd be more detailed but the letters are hard to see on my phone.

cdcox
04-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Around the world cruise on a cruise ship (cheapest cabin) -- Medium interest. Long periods of boredom crossing the ocean. One would want lots of ports of call to make it interesting.

Backpack across Europe (staying in hostels) from Lisbon to Warsaw -- very interesting. My lack of language skills would make this more challenging. I'd prefer to do this with a guide or someone experienced, rather than going it alone.

Bike across the United States from New York to Los Angeles (camping, cheap hotels every third night) -- Very interesting. If I had the time (plus time to get in shape) and buddy or two, this might be the winner.
Cross the Sahara on a camel caravan (sleeping in a sleeping bag under the stars) - ok for two days. After that it would be monotonous.

Drive across the United States from New York to Los Angeles (cheap hotels) -- nope, not a huge fan of driving.

Drive the Pan-American Highway from Alaska to Patagonia (sleeping in your VW van) -- nope.

Float the length of the Amazon River on a 20-foot covered boat (sleeping aboard) -- interesting but too much uncertainty. With a guide i would consider it.

Float the length of the Missouri-Mississippi River in a canoe (camping on shore) -- very interesting. Still probably too much uncertainty to try as a n00b.

Float the length of the Nile River (other than the cataracts) on a 20-foot covered boat (sleeping aboard) -- again I need a guide.

Float the length of the Yangtse River on a 20-foot covered boat (sleeping aboard) -- again I need a guide.

Hike the Appalachian Trail (camping/sleeping bag) -- the one I am most likely to do, but may be not as interesting as the cross USA bike ride. It's close.

Hike the Continental Divide (camping/sleeping bag) -- Some how the AT seems more appealing to me.

Hike the Lewis and Clark Trail from St. Louis to the ocean (camping/sleeping bag) -- not very appealing. Much of it doesn't seem like wilderness.

Hike the Pacific Crest Trail (camping/sleeping bag) -- still prefer the AT.

Trains -- not interested

Walk across the United States from New York to Los Angeles (camping, cheap hotel every third night) -- maybe. The length is daunting, but the experiences would be pretty neat. Maybe.

wazu
04-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Voted Amazon. Sounds like the best story for telling at parties. Of course, my odds of survival are probably less than 1 in 5, but if I'm going to dream, might as well dream big.

cdcox
04-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Going alone I chose the AT. But the cross USA bike ride would be my choice if I could have a buddy or two to ride with.

Inspector
04-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Next time I get plastered while sitting on my screened in porch, I think I'd like to move from the rocking chair over to the chaise lounge. That would be an epic move. And risky.

Inspector
04-22-2011, 03:02 PM
I'd also consider taking a trip to Mars like what happened in the movie "Total Recall".

That's also be really cool.

Oh, oh...better yet, get drunk and go to Mars....Yeah, I like that even better.

I think I just want to go get drunk actually.

KurtCobain
04-22-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm good. I'll take the epic journey to white castle.

Rain Man
04-22-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm going to go with Cross the Sahara on a camel caravan. I'll take my scope along and get some hellish shots at nite in the desert.

Hopefully it's a night scope. Those bedouins are hard to see at night.