PDA

View Full Version : Legal Coming soon? "Hate speech" fines

chiefsnorth
04-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Lesbian Insults Get Comic Fined

(NewsCore) - VANCOUVER -- A Canadian comic has been ordered to pay CA$15,000 (US$15,745) to a woman he taunted along with her same-sex partner during a show in a Vancouver restaurant three years ago, the Vancouver Sun reported Thursday.

Stand-up comedian Guy Earl was ordered to pay the money to Lorna Pardy, 32, while the British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal also ordered the Vancouver restaurant owner, Salam Ishmail, to pay her $7,500.

Pardy said Earle directed homophobic and sexist insults at her when she was a patron, and he was the master of ceremonies at an open mic comedy show at the restaurant in 2007.

Earle said he will appeal the ruling and that all he did was insult audience members who insulted him first. He also denied that he said some of the things he has been accused of, said Pardy threw a drink in his face and argued that the tribunal had no jurisdiction to hear the case.

Tribunal member Murray Geiger-Adams said Earle repeated vulgar language in public and attacked Pardy's identity and dignity as a woman and a lesbian and ordered the payment for lost wages and for injury to dignity, feelings and self respect.

blaise
04-22-2011, 10:52 AM
Offensive remarks at a comedy club. What is this world coming to?

Baby Lee
04-22-2011, 11:06 AM
I went to this establishment, they called it a . . . bar?
Anyways, they sold me these drinks, to quench my thirst. And would you believe that before long my speech was slurred and my sense of balance was distorted. I even woke up with a headache.

KILLER_CLOWN
04-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Judge should have just ordered her to have free tickets to see Andrew Dice Clay.

alnorth
04-22-2011, 09:18 PM
No, its not coming soon, at least in the USA.

Thread title is dumb.

The freedom of speech, though we think its some fundamental universal right (and I think we are correct to feel that way) is actually an oddity in the world. You can be fined and/or jailed for saying all kinds of things in Canada and throughout Europe, but thats not really shocking, because they have NEVER had freedom of speech nor do they WANT freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is ingrained in our nation's blood. So, pointing at what other dumb countries do as if its some insidious foreshadowing here is dumb.

RNR
04-23-2011, 06:28 AM
I went to this establishment, they called it a . . . bar?
Anyways, they sold me these drinks, to quench my thirst. And would you believe that before long my speech was slurred and my sense of balance was distorted. I even woke up with a headache.

The same thing exact thing happened to me a longtime ago. Odd as it may sound I rather enjoyed it and have returned many times over the years~

|Zach|
04-23-2011, 07:09 AM
I don't care about Canada.

BucEyedPea
04-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Canada has some offensive laws that allegedly were passed to make homosexuals a protected class of people—even speech-wise.
Even pastors in their own churches can't speak out against homosexuality as a matter of their religious beliefs.

notorious
04-23-2011, 08:17 AM
America Jr. never fails to put a smile on my face, from their amazingly hot women to their silly accents and Molson Ice.

Dave Lane
04-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Well apparently hate speech will get you banned right here on Chiefsplanet, therefore its already in America. Be afraid!!!!!!!!!11!1!!!

go bowe
04-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Well apparently hate speech will get you banned right here on Chiefsplanet, therefore its already in America. Be afraid!!!!!!!!!11!1!!!

ban him...

ban him...

heretic!

or,

haters gotta hate... :p :p :p

Bowser
04-23-2011, 06:12 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0BoO3_5tU8A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brock
04-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Not relevant to America.

jjjayb
04-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Not relevant to America.

Cause who'd ever think things like this would trickle into America. Next thing you know someone will say we have to worry about universal health care here. Or hate crime laws. Seriously, where do these people come up with this stuff?

HonestChieffan
04-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Cause who'd ever think things like this would trickle into America. Next thing you know someone will say we have to worry about universal health care here. Or hate crime laws. Seriously, where do these people come up with this stuff?

Lawrence?

Thig Lyfe
04-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Even pastors in their own churches can't speak out against homosexuality as a matter of their religious beliefs.

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO