PDA

View Full Version : Life Another dog thread

Brianfo
04-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Sorry to burden CP with another dog thread, but my wife and I are really questioning what we should do. We have a black lab and he has been with us almost as long as we have been together. He has been the most amazing dog and it is painfully obvious that his quality of life is not good. I think he has terrible hip dysplasia and I don't know what to do. I am in tears as I write this, as I want nothing more than to take his pain away. I think that it's time to ease him of his pain, but selfishly speaking I want to spend more time with him. We got him from a pound when he was a puppy and he is such a part of our life. I can still remember the day that we brought him home, and what he chewed up that night. Any vets out there or anyone else been thru the same situation. I have 3 kids and I think that I love this dog as much as them. That sounds really shallow, but we didn't know if we would ever be able to have kids and he has been thru everything with us. I have had to carry him back to his bed the last 3 days. I love that damn dog so much. What should we do?? I already know the answer, but love him so much!!!!

Phobia
04-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Then buy some expensive medicine so he can get around for another couple months if you don't want to pull the trigger yet. When you get tired of springing for medicine that is simply giving you a little bit more time you'll do what you need to do.

I think that people should recognize the end is near for their old dogs early and bring in a puppy. There's no better training for a puppy than emulating what old dog does.

Bwana
04-23-2011, 07:05 PM
It sounds like you know what to do and yes, it sucks. I'm going to be in the same position within the next year. Best of luck, it's never easy bud.

factortobe
04-23-2011, 07:06 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that my prayers are with you labs are great friends

Gonzo
04-23-2011, 07:07 PM
It's always a tough decision man. I have had a dog all of my life, (the same blood line of Brittany's) and I've had to make this decision 3 times.
Ask yourself, is there any quality of life? Does he enjoy anything anymore? Is the pain so overwhelming that he's bed-ridden? How much longer does he have?

As this dogs owner, the nicest decision you can make is the final one. Don't hang on for you because that's not fair.
Posted via Mobile Device

COchief
04-23-2011, 07:09 PM
As hard as it is for you and your family to let go, please do not make him suffer anymore and let him go as peacefully and painlessly as possible.

Sorry to hear about your buddy, we just lost a family dog suddenly and boy does it hurt.

Demonpenz
04-23-2011, 07:17 PM
my dog's back was thrown out, my mom carried that song around day and night. Someone told me, well if the dog doesn't seem to be in pain and your mom seems to be ok with taking care of it. So when I came back from Ireland it was gone, my dad had to put it to sleep. At some point I think your time and energy can be best served by helping other people or dogs and humans are triggered with happiness when you do help other people

Lonewolf Ed
04-23-2011, 07:20 PM
I lost my beloved rottweiler 3 months ago. She was in a great deal of pain and her back leg was not right. I had to lift her up and down the two steps to get outside because she couldn't hop up the steps and I saw her fall a time or two going down them. It's a horribly hard thing to have to do, that one last trip to the vet. My dog would have held on longer for my sake, and how knows if she'd still be here today, but even in worse shape. I resolved that I couldn't ask her to suffer any longer on my behalf, so I took her to the vet and had her put to sleep.

I was close to leaving the room when it was about to happen, but I am so glad I stayed for her sake. She gave me more time than she should have had, so I owed it to her to stay for her last moments. Once the pain of losing your dog begins to subside, I bet you will feel like I do in that I am glad I didn't let her hang around and get worse and worse when there really is only one thing you can do and do right by the dog. Don't end up feeling guilty for prolonging it. With a dog in particular, it is the quality of life that matters above all.

It takes a lot of strength, but assure yourself, it is for the dog's best interest and your dog looks to you for that.

Brock
04-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Need to put him down. He's in agony. It's tough but he's really suffering.

threebag02
04-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Labs are awesome and while my thoughts are with you it will be easy to attach to your next one

Bowser
04-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Apologies for being blunt, but if the dog means that much to you, you need to put him down so he doesn't suffer anymore. Buying him medicine to give you a few more weeks with him is selfish as it won't heal him, just numb him. We're not far from making the same decision with our dog, too.

Sorry you're going through this.

Brianfo
04-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks for all of the replys. We know what we need to do. My wife and I just love him so much. Sucks!! Like I said we have 3 children, should we include them in this, or just tell them that Zeke passed away while they were at school. I have told them to give him all of their love in the last week, as I knew the end is near, but they just don't understand.

Phobia
04-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks for all of the replys. We know what we need to do. My wife and I just love him so much. Sucks!! Like I said we have 3 children, should we include them in this, or just tell them that Zeke passed away while they were at school. I have told them to give him all of their love in the last week, as I knew the end is near, but they just don't understand.

Life sucks a lot sometimes. Do you want to teach your kids that or do you want them to find out on their own after you're no longer around to shelter them?

CrazyPhuD
04-23-2011, 07:58 PM

That depends upon how old they are. Personally I would probably give them a chance to say their goodbyes. The truth will eventually come out and you can only protect them so long. If they are very young then maybe not but if they are kindergarten or older then I would probably include them. One of the worst things in life is never getting to say goodbye.

Brock
04-23-2011, 07:59 PM
They don't need to know how the dog died.

Dunit35
04-23-2011, 08:04 PM
It's tough when it comes to this. I'll never forget four years ago when I had to do it. I'm also glad I drove the two hours to be in the room with her. You could clearly see that she was as excited as she could get when she saw me get out of the car.

Sorry for your tough time.

KevB
04-23-2011, 08:06 PM
I was in a very similar place last year, and your situation is very much like mine. We got Magic (see my sig) a year after we were married, and before kids. He was with us for the next 13 years, and was just a great dog. We also have three kids, and frankly they took it better than I did. It's one of the hardest things I've had to do, but I'm still very comfortable with my decision a year later. Talk to your vet; that helped me take some of the emotion out of the actual decision.

Brianfo
04-23-2011, 08:11 PM
I was in a very similar place last year, and your situation is very much like mine. We got Magic (see my sig) a year after we were married, and before kids. He was with us for the next 13 years, and was just a great dog. We also have three kids, and frankly they took it better than I did. It's one of the hardest things I've had to do, but I'm still very comfortable with my decision a year later. Talk to your vet; that helped me take some of the emotion out of the actual decision.

Thank you very much. Seriously!!

Slainte
04-23-2011, 10:15 PM
I was in a very similar place last year, and your situation is very much like mine. We got Magic (see my sig)

You had a funny feeling in your groin for Magic?

Prestidigitation, I guess...

DJ's left nut
04-23-2011, 10:27 PM
If you haven't already, talk to your vet about anti-inflammatories for his joints.

Deremaxx is a great supplement for pain relief and keeping the inflammation down. It's not a miracle pill, but it could buy you several more months and it will greatly increase his quality of life.

It's not cheap, but it's not exorbitant either. If its something as simple as arthritis, that will help a lot. If it's really bad dysplasia, it will help a little for that as well. Also, if there's any way you can cut his weight, that will help some as well. Getting weight off those joints is a big deal. Slip some green beans in with his food and they act as filler that the dog doesn't digest, so you can shed lbs pretty easily that way.

There are ways to manage dysplasia and a lot of the time, much of the pain associated with dysplasia is actually arthritis. So know what you're dealing with, talk to your vet and just do what you can to make him comfortable. Remember - his quality of life is directly proportionate to the amount of time he spends with you. So he can't run - I assure you that he doesn't care. If he gets to hang out on the couch with you in the evenings, that's enough for him.

Ultimately, if the pain's too much, they'll often let you know (generally through their diet). If you've tried every avenue to manage the pain then you'll need to make that call, but exhaust every option first. You have more than you think.

ragedogg69
04-23-2011, 10:32 PM
I thought dogs respond well to msm and glucosamine for joint problems. Seems that is a cheap way to help your dogs quality of life.

Sent from my GTablet running VEGAn-TAB using Tapatalk

DJ's left nut
04-23-2011, 10:36 PM
I thought dogs respond well to msm and glucosamine for joint problems. Seems that is a cheap way to help your dogs quality of life.

Sent from my GTablet running VEGAn-TAB using Tapatalk

Those are preventatives. Once damage is done, they do very little other than slow the bleeding.

If his dog is already hurting, he's past the point of glucosamine being effective.

B_Ambuehl
04-23-2011, 10:46 PM
Go to your vet and get him some adequan canine. It's an injectable drug for horses that rebuilds cartilage and has done wonders on many a dog with arthritic conditions. Stay away from that cartrophen and other anti-I's until you try this stuff, as those things will cause other problems.

Also get him on a good meat based diet. Virtually all dog foods are primarly made out of corn and other grains which triggers the inflammatory process.

El Jefe
04-24-2011, 12:16 AM
It's tough when it comes to this. I'll never forget four years ago when I had to do it. I'm also glad I drove the two hours to be in the room with her. You could clearly see that she was as excited as she could get when she saw me get out of the car.

Sorry for your tough time.

Your post almost gave me a tear. I will never forget the night I had to put Josie down. I had that dog from birth,my mothers dog had her. She was with me my whole life separated by 5 years. I won many awards showing her, and special trick awards, special agility talents that let us dominate our circuit. She took me to the Ohio state fair. That dog was more loved than any other and would have done tons of great things for the future. I love you sooo very much Josie, I will never ever forget you joey :*( :*( :*( :*(

btlook1
04-24-2011, 02:14 AM
Sorry to hear about your lab. As a lab lover and breeder if it's not to late which sounds like it is try Cosequin we use it for a couple of our older labs and we also give them fish oil pills with there food to. A lot of the competitive retriever people have been using it for quite a while. Fish oil is cheap and they say getting the oil in there system lubs things up by helping the hips/joints. The cosequin works to however takes a while to get in there system and is expensive.
Sounds like you have been good to your lab. Kudos to you there is not better dog than a lab!

btlook1
04-24-2011, 02:17 AM
One other thing you can give them baby aspirin however it can cause other issues like bladder infections but can give them some short term pain relief. We have had a few labs get injured get stiff after lots of activity/training and occasionally use it. Might give him some relief especially in the evenings.

Gonzo
04-24-2011, 03:27 AM
They take the time you can spare, the love you can spare and the food you can spare. In return they give you everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog Farmer
04-24-2011, 03:43 AM
This is exactly why every time my wife brings home a puppy I just go ahead and off the damn thing. She gets mad but I just tell her I'm doing it for her because I know she'll get attached and have to suffer later on.

Gonzo
04-24-2011, 04:19 AM
This is exactly why every time my wife brings home a puppy I just go ahead and off the damn thing. She gets mad but I just tell her I'm doing it for her because I know she'll get attached and have to suffer later on.

Dude... That's ruff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Brianfo
07-14-2011, 11:52 AM
We have made an appointment with our vet tomorrow to have our lab put to sleep. My heart is breaking. RIP Zeke. You have been the most amazing dog that I could have ever hoped for. I know that there is a special place for you in heaven.

Rausch
07-14-2011, 11:58 AM
We're putting the family dog down tomorrow.

I live with my wife, my mother, the dog, and 2 cats.

I'm spending time with the dog today because I'll miss him the most...

MOhillbilly
07-14-2011, 12:09 PM
LALALALALALALA -hate these threads-LALALALALALALALALA

SuperChief
07-14-2011, 12:17 PM
LALALALALALALA -hate these threads-LALALALALALALALALA

No kidding. However, reading these always makes me appreciate the time I have with my two dogs - a 3yo Lab/Pointer mix and a 1yo (birthday was yesterday!) Beagle.

I'm not looking forward to this sort of situation. Feeling for you bro.

tooge
07-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Man, sorry you have to do it. I've lost two in the last two years, and it sucks, plain and simple. We got a new pup a few weeks after the last one past, and it has really helped. I recommend burying him yourself. I did, and let the kids give him a hug right before I put dirt over her. Seems wierd, but it let them see death for what it is and say goodbye. Now, when we go up to t he garden, the kids always walk over to the two graves and say "hi Kegan, Hi Aare" and somehow know they were taken care of. You'll cry some, but just know that you gave that dog the best life ever. Sorry man.

Old Dog
07-14-2011, 12:54 PM
I posted this once before, but it seems appropriate again.

It's an old Dear Abby Column that kind of helped me and the Mrs when we had to put down one of our Huskies a few years back. Warning: It can be a tearjerker to some (it was, and still is for me)

Dogs Don't Have Souls, Do They?
I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur.

You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in a while, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this is your territory.

Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you 're not watching."

As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging, just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day and I could always count on you to be there for me.

When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap looking for atention. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.

As you got older you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, old age finally took its toll and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up to me as if to say that you were old and tired and that after all of these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one favor.

With tears in my eyes, I dorve you one last time to the vet. One last time, you were lying next to me. For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital; perhaps it was your sense of pride.

As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say, "Thank you for taking care of me."

I thought, "No, thank you for taking care of me."

frankotank
07-14-2011, 01:01 PM
dang it this is tearing me up. sorry dudes. hang in there. I put my boy Tank down almost two years ago and still get misty eyed over him still. like now. never be another like him. we have a second bullmastiff now, Dozer, and he's not Tank. but that's OK, I've come to that. I was with Tank to the last breath. I think that's important, to be there.

my dad had this scraggly ole mutt that just hated everybody except him. ugly and stinky, he loved that dog with all his heart. the day that dog died he told me something I've never forgotten.....he said if heaven is truly the perfect place, then my dog will be there waiting for me.

stumppy
07-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Sorry man. It's the last thing you'll be able to do for him. When their health gets to the point where they have no quality of life then it's time. I had to put down one of the two dogs I've lost in the past few years. The other one died in my arms on January 20, 2010.

When it was Stumppy's time I couldn't bring myself to drag him to the Vets office, a place he hated. I felt like I would be betraying him to take him there and let some stranger do that to him. So, I gathered all the courage i had and, while sitting next to him in the back yard, in his favorite place to lay I did it. It took me until 2:00 in the morning before I could squeeze the trigger but that was the best I could do for him. I miss him and Max every day. Think I'll go let Betty try and scare up some rabbits. She's the last of the three and I'm going to enjoy the time I have with her while I can.

JD10367
07-14-2011, 02:49 PM

Jeez. Hope your wife doesn't get pregnant. :eek:

listopencil
07-14-2011, 04:07 PM
I had to have my black lab/pit put down a few years ago for similar reasons. He was 17 years old. Actually, my wife took him on the trip to the vet. I couldn't do it. Best dog ever. I know we did the right thing and I think about him often.

listopencil
07-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Sorry man. It's the last thing you'll be able to do for him. When their health gets to the point where they have no quality of life then it's time. I had to put down one of the two dogs I've lost in the past few years. The other one died in my arms on January 20, 2010.

When it was Stumppy's time I couldn't bring myself to drag him to the Vets office, a place he hated. I felt like I would be betraying him to take him there and let some stranger do that to him. So, I gathered all the courage i had and, while sitting next to him in the back yard, in his favorite place to lay I did it. It took me until 2:00 in the morning before I could squeeze the trigger but that was the best I could do for him. I miss him and Max every day. Think I'll go let Betty try and scare up some rabbits. She's the last of the three and I'm going to enjoy the time I have with her while I can.

I did take our second dog in. George. It was comforting to be able to feel his body relax in my arms, being able to feel the pain leave his body.

bevischief
07-14-2011, 04:17 PM
I have have put down 2 dogs in the last few years. I usually take them on a ride a few hours ahead of time, six pack and the good beef jerky and we go say goodbye before we end up at the appointed time. Both times they were smiling the whole time right up to the end. I still the last one left from both of the those trips in the beer fridge.

frankotank
07-14-2011, 04:20 PM
I have have put down 2 dogs in the last few years. I usually take them on a ride a few hours ahead of time, six pack and the good beef jerky and we go say goodbye before we end up at the appointed time. Both times they were smiling the whole time right up to the end. I still the last one left from both of the those trips in the beer fridge.

Righteous

DeezNutz
07-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Sorry, man. Dogs are good people, and this is a tough thing for anyone to do. Hang in there.

Bwana
07-14-2011, 04:29 PM
We have made an appointment with our vet tomorrow to have our lab put to sleep. My heart is breaking. RIP Zeke. You have been the most amazing dog that I could have ever hoped for. I know that there is a special place for you in heaven.

Sorry to hear that bud, It ALWAYS sucks having to put down a pet. It sounds like you built a lot of great memories with your lab.

Iowanian
07-14-2011, 04:52 PM
You know the answer. It's a tough one, but you know what needs done. If you can't do it, have someone do it for you.

If you care about the dog, you won't make it suffer. You're doing the right thing.

It'll suck, but life goes on.