PDA

View Full Version : Football Each NFL team's best and worst 1st round draft choices.

Frankie
04-23-2011, 10:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-draft-bestandworst

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Best: TE Tony Gonzalez(notes), California, 1997

Chiefs traded up with Houston to take Gonzalez, who was coming out as junior. In 12 years with KC, became most productive player at his position and shattered NFL tight end records for receptions, touchdown catches and yards receiving. Made 10 Pro Bowls. Now with Atlanta.

Worst: QB Todd Blackledge, Penn State, 1983

First player drafted by first-year coach John Mackovic, who was hired to replace Marv Levy specifically because of expertise in passing game. Seventh overall selection, Blackledge spent five years in KC, went to Pittsburgh for two years and retired to the broadcast booth with overall passer rating of 60.2.

WhitiE
04-23-2011, 11:15 PM
no Brady? kinda surprising....

Rain Man
04-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Blackledge wasn't our worst. He may have had the most implications for the franchise, but he at least saw the field and had a career for a few years. Some of those picks in the 70s couldn't even crack the starting lineup on 2-12 teams.

DeezNutz
04-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Blackledge wasn't our worst. He may have had the most implications for the franchise, but he at least saw the field and had a career for a few years. Some of those picks in the 70s couldn't even crack the starting lineup on 2-12 teams.

Implications in terms of whom the organization passed on at the time and the long-standing (and still present) mind fuck of the "risks" inherent with first-round QBs.

Because of these things, he's easily the worst (though I understand your point).

-King-
04-23-2011, 11:46 PM
I'd take DT over Gonzo.

SNR
04-23-2011, 11:46 PM
no Brady? kinda surprising....First round picks only

-King-
04-23-2011, 11:47 PM
:spock:

DeezNutz
04-23-2011, 11:49 PM
I'd take DT over Gonzo.

Yep. And it's not even remotely close.

Bowser
04-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Milkman is going to shit a Miata when he sees this.

SNR
04-24-2011, 12:01 AM
I get that Blackledge turned this franchise into a bunch of gutless, dickless, brainless, and heartless miserable pukes who think their franchise Super Bowl-winning QB can be grown on another team's tree without the risk and at half the cost of the real thing.

But still, we've had some doozies. Tyson Jackson may take the cake when history looks back 10 years from now. Special consideration should go to Ryan Sims and Trezelle Jenkins, too

Mosbonian
04-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Brian Jozwiak.....our version of Tony Mandarich

Chocolate Hog
04-24-2011, 12:11 AM
How the fuck is a guy who never won a playoff game in his career our best pick? BTW Tyson Jackson would have to be our worst pick right?

JOhn
04-24-2011, 12:19 AM

Thank you for bringing that back to mind.
I think what really makes him the worst, is what we passed up to take him instead :banghead:

Radar Chief
04-24-2011, 01:01 AM
I get that Blackledge turned this franchise into a bunch of gutless, dickless, brainless, and heartless miserable pukes who think their franchise Super Bowl-winning QB can be grown on another team's tree without the risk and at half the cost of the real thing.

But still, we've had some doozies. Tyson Jackson may take the cake when history looks back 10 years from now. Special consideration should go to Ryan Sims and Trezelle Jenkins, too

Dude, Sylvester Morris. /thread

LiL stumppy
04-24-2011, 01:06 AM
How the fuck is a guy who never won a playoff game in his career our best pick? BTW Tyson Jackson would have to be our worst pick right?

?Um Probably because of all the records he has broken? And is considered by most the best TE to play the game up to this point?

:spock:

acesn8s
04-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Certainly Ryan Sims, Trezelle Jenkins, Harvey Williams, or Victor Riley would be considered worse than Blackledge.

BillSelfsTrophycase
04-24-2011, 04:50 AM

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Uhh...Derrick Thomas says hello

tyton75
04-24-2011, 05:17 AM
I'd take DT over Gonzo.

agreed

milkman
04-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Better first round picks.

Buck Buchanan and DT.

milkman
04-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Milkman is going to shit a Miata when he sees this.

I get why people put Tony up there.

I just don't agree.

I would argue that EJ Holub and Neil Smith were better first round picks, as well as the other two I already mentioned, but that's debatable.

But Tony, for all his contributions, never had the impact on this team that DT and Buck did.

KCinNY
04-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Ethan Horton deserves a mention.

DT had a bigger impact than TG, IMO.

RNR
04-24-2011, 08:07 AM

Thank you for bringing that back to mind.
I think what really makes him the worst, is what we passed up to take him instead :banghead:

I will see your Blackledge and raise you Russell. Just fold son you dont have chance~

Bump
04-24-2011, 08:13 AM

Tony Gonzalez DID win us a playoff game, but the corrupt refs fucked us.

notorious
04-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Because of who we COULD have took,yet took Blackledge instead is why he is the biggest 1st round bust in this franchise's history.

Oh ya, he was really bad, too.

gblowfish
04-24-2011, 08:42 AM

Blackledge cost us the most for what we could have had instead (Kelly or Marino).

Trezelle Jenkins, Percy Snow, SloMo and Anthony Hancock were all terrible picks too.

JASONSAUTO
04-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Snow wasnt a bad pick imo. Just bad luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

siberian khatru
04-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Better first round picks.

Buck Buchanan and DT.

Easily. EASILY.

ChiefsCountry
04-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Snow wasnt a bad pick imo. Just bad luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Same with Slvyester Morris. Injuries are different than just flat out sucking.

Al Bundy
04-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Worst Buccaneers draft pick is Bo Jackson. He played for the Royals instead.
Best Buccaneers pick Warren Sapp.

milkman
04-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Same with Slvyester Morris. Injuries are different than just flat out sucking.

Snow had a good rookie season.

Sly had two good games as a rookie, and was relatively non productive through the rest of the season.

Rain Man
04-24-2011, 09:38 AM
I think there should a couple of additional logic rules added for this.

First, I think a bust in recent years is worse than a bust in earlier years, because teams have more resources and more information now. There was a time when drafts were conducted almost purely on hearsay, and that was out of necessity. So a draft bust in 1948 gets less heat from me than a draft bust in 2006.

Second, I think that additional weight should be given to selecting a player who wasn't a consensus strong pick at the time. Blackledge was deemed a fine pick when he was taken. Jozwiak was deemed a very safe pick. The fact that they didn't have long and productive careers wasn't necessarily the fault of the front office for picking them. Other teams would've gladly picked them.

As an additional thought, I struggle a little bit with the "could've had XXX instead" argument too, though I can see the logic behind it. Is Blackledge more of a bust because we could've had Marino? Or is that irrelevant? Would Blackledge have been a less bad pick if Marino was a year younger? To some extent I can buy that argument, but at the same time we're not also throwing in the XX number of other QBs taken in that draft, many of whom never set foot on the field. Would Blackledge be considered a better pick if Marino's shoulder injury had forced him to retire in training camp in 1983? If not, it's hard to argue the other way.

If you asked me about the worst first-round pick, you have to look at guys like Rod Walters, Sid Smith, Trezelle Jenkins, Eugene Trosch, and maybe even Elmo Wright. None of these guys ever cracked the starting lineup as far as I can tell. Smith and Trosch both appear to have missed seasons and I can't find out why, so maybe they were injury cases, but what was the deal with the others?

Based on Rules 1 and 2 above, I'd pick Trezelle Jenkins as the worst pick. He was a surprise pick when it was made, he was picked in the modern era, and he busted hard.

Dr. Van Halen
04-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Based on Rules 1 and 2 above, I'd pick Trezelle Jenkins as the worst pick. He was a surprise pick when it was made, he was picked in the modern era, and he busted hard.

I agree. I also think the "surprise pick" might be a factor as well. Everyone thought highly of many of these picks -- we literally had to race against the Vikings to draft Sims -- but Jenkins came out of nowhere and was crudballs.

KurtCobain
04-24-2011, 10:46 AM
I think the only way Tony is a better 1st round pick than DT IMO, is because DT was a no-brainer. Tony was a god choice and a tradeup to get him.

milkman
04-24-2011, 10:53 AM
I think the only way Tony is a better 1st round pick than DT IMO, is because DT was a no-brainer. Tony was a god choice and a tradeup to get him.

No brainer?

At the time there was a lot of discussion of DT vs. Broderick Thomas, and even though the Chiefs had a talented secondary, Dieon Sanders went right after DT.

That first round that Gonzalez came out of was a "meh" draft.

KurtCobain
04-24-2011, 10:58 AM
And they found a piece of gold in the middle of the meh. Anybody could've busted in there, and we found a player who might go down at the greatest at his position. Is DT considered by anybody besides us a top ten LB all time?

Frankie
04-24-2011, 10:58 AM

It's about 1st rounders.

Frankie
04-24-2011, 10:59 AM
I'd take DT over Gonzo.

:hmmm:

Just Passin' By
04-24-2011, 11:00 AM
As an additional thought, I struggle a little bit with the "could've had XXX instead" argument too, though I can see the logic behind it. Is Blackledge more of a bust because we could've had Marino? Or is that irrelevant? Would Blackledge have been a less bad pick if Marino was a year younger? To some extent I can buy that argument, but at the same time we're not also throwing in the XX number of other QBs taken in that draft, many of whom never set foot on the field. Would Blackledge be considered a better pick if Marino's shoulder injury had forced him to retire in training camp in 1983? If not, it's hard to argue the other way.

But aren't you looking at just that when you talk about the consensus strong picks? To me, that seems pretty much the same as saying "could have had".

Frankie
04-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Dude, Sylvester Morris. /thread

SlyMo got injured. He wasn't a bad pick.

Frankie
04-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Tony Gonzalez DID win us a playoff game, but the corrupt refs ****ed us.

?

Refresh my memory.

Frankie
04-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Blackledge cost us the most for what we could have had instead (Kelly or Marino).

Trezelle Jenkins, Percy Snow, SloMo and Anthony Hancock were all terrible picks too.

Percy Snow we really don't know about. Had he not have the freak accident he might have panned out.

KC Tattoo
04-24-2011, 11:07 AM
DT made an impact from the get go. Tony Gonzo first year wasn't all that great and wasn't looking too good, but credit him for his hard work and desire to be the best TE.

I agree with Milk Man DT & Buck Buchanan as best picks.

I hold Dale Carter as what could have been the best pick but turned out a waisted tallent pool. I loved Dale Carter wish he could have kept his shit together.

Dick Bull
04-24-2011, 11:07 AM
SlyMo got injured. He wasn't a bad pick.

Dude had 1 good game. Everything else was suck.

milkman
04-24-2011, 11:11 AM
And they found a piece of gold in the middle of the meh. Anybody could've busted in there, and we found a player who might go down at the greatest at his position. Is DT considered by anybody besides us a top ten LB all time?

I've never considered DT a top 10 LB all time.

He's only #3 on my list of Chiefs LBs.

However, and I've said this before, it wasn't what he contributed physically that impacted this team.

It was what he contributed emotionally that had the greatest impact.

He brought an energy an enthusiasm that raised the level of play around him.

TG never had that kind of impact.

Frankie
04-24-2011, 11:15 AM
No brainer?

At the time there was a lot of discussion of DT vs. Broderick Thomas, .....

This. They were equal (for different reasons) in all draft publications. To this day I'm still amazed that Carl Peterson of all people made the right choice here. That alone makes it the best pick.

Tribal Warfare
04-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Percy Snow we really don't know about. Had he not have the freak accident he might have panned out.

Sly also, he had a solid rookie year then the year after he tore his ACL and was never the same.

milkman
04-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Sly also, he had a solid rookie year then the year after he tore his ACL and was never the same.

Two good games.

That was all he had.

Frankie
04-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Two good games.

That was all he had.

But that does not mean his play in the rest of his rookie season was "Bad." I can't recall any disastrous games for him. Long time ago, I know, but nothing comes to mind. He had, IMO, a season on par with many 1st rounders.

But, that said, time may have been a toilet paper in this case.

milkman
04-24-2011, 11:58 AM
But that does not mean his play in the rest of his rookie season was "Bad." I can't recall any disastrous games for him. Long time ago, I know, but nothing comes to mind. He had, IMO, a season on par with many 1st rounders.

But, that said, time may have been a toilet paper in this case.

Not bad, but also not good.

He had two 100+yard recieving games, which made up about 30% of his production for the season.

He had a another couple of games in which he went for more than 50 yards, but for the rest, he was virtually invisible.

Rain Man
04-24-2011, 12:16 PM
But aren't you looking at just that when you talk about the consensus strong picks? To me, that seems pretty much the same as saying "could have had".

Yeah, probably. I guess the question is whether the judgment is how productive a player was for us, or how productive the player was compared to the other players picked near him. I can see where it should be the latter. Aikman, then, may not have been as good a pick for the Cowboys, since they could have drafted Barry Sanders or DT or Deion, while McNabb may have been a great pick because the Eagles could've ended up with Akili Smith and whoever those other QBs were in his year.

Okie_Apparition
04-24-2011, 12:16 PM
I would think that FA busts have caused way more harm than draft busts. Financialy & in the locker room.

Msmith
04-24-2011, 01:21 PM
I am sure in the Chargers camp, fans would argue that their best pick is Rivers.

KurtCobain
04-24-2011, 01:23 PM
I am sure in the Chargers camp, fans would argue that their best pick is Rivers.

They didn't pick rivers. They traded for him.

Dylan
04-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Lawrence Taylor Best

Ron Dayne Worst

Rain Man
04-24-2011, 02:04 PM
They didn't pick rivers. They traded for him.

Their worst pick would be Eli Manning.

Dave Lane
04-25-2011, 03:24 PM
I will see your Blackledge and raise you Russell. Just fold son you dont have chance~

He is the worst draft pick in history. A former #1 overall draft pick that is a QB can't get a sniff of a job anywhere else, just 4 yearrs after being drafted, without any major criminal activities. That my friends is a record of ineptitude that may stand for generations.

Rausch
04-25-2011, 03:33 PM

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Chiefs traded up with Houston to take Gonzalez, who was coming out as junior. In 12 years with KC, became most productive player at his position and shattered NFL tight end records for receptions, touchdown catches and yards receiving. Made 10 Pro Bowls. Now with Atlanta.

First player drafted by first-year coach John Mackovic, who was hired to replace Marv Levy specifically because of expertise in passing game. Seventh overall selection, Blackledge spent five years in KC, went to Pittsburgh for two years and retired to the broadcast booth with overall passer rating of 60.2.

I would still say DT was our best pick.