PDA

View Full Version : Red flags on potential Chiefs targets.

Count Zarth
04-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Just been browsing PFW this morning and cherry picking stuff that makes me think Pioli would pass on so and so. Feel free to contribute/comment.

Leonard Hankerson
Bolded parts really turned me off. I'd prefer Torrey Smith.

Negatives: Lean frame. Shows tightness in his hips. Has some buildup and lacks elite top-end speed to separate vertically. Average athletic ability and burst does not explode out of breaks. Concentration has been an issue double-catches some and drops were too prevalent throughout his career (also looked shaky running the gauntlet drill at the Combine). Limited agility and elusiveness after the catch. Can be an effective blocker but needs work. Average instincts.

Summary: Good-sized, rangy, strong-handed X receiver capable of using his size and length to post up outside the numbers or work inside effectively. Started to fulfill his potential as a senior but will have to become a more consistent catcher and prove he can separate against man coverage. Might struggle to be more than a No. 3 receiver.

Ryan Kerrigan
Ugh. Do not want this guy at all. Sounds like he has very average athletic ability. Aldon Smith sounded like DT in comparison. Hali already lacks closing speed, we don't need another guy who gets outrun by Jason Campbell.

Negatives: Lacks twitch not sudden or explosive from a static start. Occasionally loses sight of the ball. Shows some rigidity when required to break down in space. Tight hips does not have elite flexibility off the edge to dip, bend and trim the corner fluidly. Lacks elite closing burst at the top of his rush. Needs to expand his pass-rush arsenal is not a creative rusher and can be late to counter. Much of his production is effort-based. Weighed 255 pounds at the Senior Bowl and weight has dipped late in the season.

Mike Pouncey
I had convinced myself this guy would be a good pick but with the system we run and Cassel...yikes. And no way I want a guard in the 1st. I might be happy with Pouncey in the 2nd.

Negatives: Really struggled snapping the ball and consistently made errant shotgun snaps low and to the left of the quarterback with a funky, flick, wrist-snapping motion skee-balled too many balls to the quarterback. Inconsistent hand use. Does not innately feel pressure or switch off blocks to account for the blitz. Lunges on the second level and lands on the ground too much. Tends to lock his legs and play a bit tall.

Summary: Converted defensive tackle who stayed in school to replace his brother at center but really struggled snapping the ball and appeared comfortable as a guard a year ago.

Akeem Ayers
See Kerrigan, and his 40 time is pathetic.

Negatives: Inconsistent intensity flickers and disappears for stretches. Average eyes and instincts. Lacks discipline and makes too many mental errors. Lacks elite suddenness and acceleration and can be a step late to the perimeter. Not creative as a pass rusher and needs to develop a wider array of moves. Does not show elite burst and closing speed at the top of his rush. Hand use needs work. Not physical defending the run. Leaky, sideswipe tackler. Could stand to bulk up and get stronger lacks finishing strength and does not play with power.

Summary: Overhyped rush linebacker prospect whose splash plays mask concerning weaknesses, including a tendency to coast on athletic ability, which is not elite.

Phil Taylor
Doesn't sound like a Pioli player.

Negatives: Weight has tended to fluctuate too much. Marginal stamina too often wears down, stays blocked and does not exert himself. Lacks twitch. Struggles to control his man and locate the football. Plays too tall and negates his natural strength. Inconsistent get-off. Limited pass-rush ability. Has underachiever traits. Not a worker and does not like to practice. Questionable mental toughness.

Gabe Carimi
Having nightmares about any RT already, but, ugh. Costanzo sounded much more attractive.

Negatives: Needs to get stronger in the lower body and play with more consistent knee bend. Not does have enough lead in his pants or snarls. Not powerful and too often falls off blocks. Has a white-collar mentality at a blue-collar position and carries an inflated opinion of himself. Thinks he is better than he is and came off as arrogant and selfish in interviews at the Combine. Durability is concerning was consistently slowed by injuries. Did not look comfortable on the inside at the Senior Bowl. Appeared very upright and slipped multiple times in positional drills at the Combine.

Dave Lane
04-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Every player is going to have weakness and faults. Ayers is who I really don't want at #21. And Taylor everyone else is ok with me.

tyton75
04-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Taylor is ok with me, but not after I have been hearing that he is already having issues with bone growth in his feet.. etc..

but i just have a feeling that we are going to draft Kerrigan.. just seems like a NE outside linebacker that we would want.. like a young Vrabel

warrior
04-25-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't want Ayers the Guy is really slow does nothing above average.

Rain Man
04-25-2011, 11:01 AM
I want Bruce Carter. I don't know if he's a first-rounder at 21, but I want him.

SNR
04-25-2011, 03:34 PM
As a Hankerson fanboy, all I can tell you is to watch film and then tell me if he lacks the speed necessary at the pro level. He plays a lot faster than he times out, and even then he's posted 40 times in the high 4.40s.

The writer mentions, "Started to fulfill his potential as a senior but will have to become a more consistent catcher and prove he can separate against man coverage". To me, Hankerson didn't just explode. His great senior season was the product of continuous block-by-block improvement throughout his entire Hurricane career.

He's my #3 WR, and I like him way better than Baldwin or Smith

booger
04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/cameron-jordan-97/

Not a red flag but fits with PFW's reports............. just thought it was interesting the thought of Cam Jordan maybe being a 34 OLB. he'd have to be 265-270 to do so.

TRR
04-25-2011, 03:50 PM
I go by what I see through the players career, and two players that consistently make plays are Leonard Hankerson and Akeem Ayers.

I've watched Ayers for a long while, and I like him a lot. Its true, he may not be a superstar, but he really does everything well. To me, he is Derrick Johnson with better hands and pass rush ability. Hold up really well against the run.

Count me IN for Ayers at 21 and Hankerson at 55.
Posted via Mobile Device

blazzin311
04-25-2011, 04:54 PM
I want Bruce Carter. I don't know if he's a first-rounder at 21, but I want him.

I'd love to see Carter added to the Chiefs LB corps. as well. I think there's a chance he can be had in the second round when the Chiefs pick. However, I'm not entirely sure he makes it past the Giants pick in the second round.

didigodori
04-25-2011, 05:31 PM
I believe you, thanks

Count Zarth
04-25-2011, 11:57 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/player/cameron-jordan-97/

Not a red flag but fits with PFW's reports............. just thought it was interesting the thought of Cam Jordan maybe being a 34 OLB. he'd have to be 265-270 to do so.

Whoa, running a 4.7 at almost 290 lbs is impressive.

Interesting that his scouting report really doesn't knock his athletic ability at all. If he trims down he could be a dangerous hybrid player...very interesting. Also had a great wonderlic.

Hog Farmer
04-26-2011, 03:36 AM
I believe you, thanks

Great 1st post !

factortobe
04-26-2011, 04:31 AM

This :thumb:

booger
04-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Whoa, running a 4.7 at almost 290 lbs is impressive.

Interesting that his scouting report really doesn't knock his athletic ability at all. If he trims down he could be a dangerous hybrid player...very interesting. Also had a great wonderlic.

i'm thinking they were talking more about the slanting one gap 34 teams like Houston will be with Phillips as DC. A good thing if KC were to take him would be they know he could play the 5tech if they tried him at OLB and it didn't work. The weight stuff is hard to tell from the combine because you don't really know what his ideal weight is. Be interesting to see his combine wt and pro day weight. Don't think he played in the senior bowl.

We could look at multiple Cal players Because of Clancy P, That's why they hired him as DC was his 34 exp. Mohamed is another ILB teams think could play OLB. A potential Rook FA is a kid with the last name of Browner. He's in the 6-4 260 range, the size they love. Looked at his stats and he didn't really start until his senior year. Plus his career stats was like 2 sacks less than 50 tackles no pass defensed. But he could get a camp invite. Somehow he is related to former Vikings S Joey Browner.

K.J. Wright and Jabaal Sheard could be not to far off than Ayers. Cliff Mathews is a guy mid round who has the size and athletic ability. Martez Wilson could be a guy if they trade back.

But they could go Wilkerson or Jordan at DE and they would provide plenty of snaps in the 4 man front and passing situations. Tough b/c rookie DL don't progress right away.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-26-2011, 07:42 AM
When you pick at 21, almost every player will have red flags

Count Zarth
04-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Georgia defensive end Justin Houston and Iowa defensive tackle Christian Ballard both failed drug tests for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine according to Alex Marvez and Jay Glazer of FOX.