PDA

View Full Version : Looney's Mock

Woodrow Call
04-25-2011, 10:23 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/KCChiefscom-2011-Mock-Draft/94d626ca-a0b6-448e-baa6-1a10b2781057

KCChiefs.com 2011 Mock Draft

By Josh Looney

Taking a look a possibilities for all eight of Kansas City's 2011 draft choices

What’s the definition of insanity? Something along the lines of doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results?

After last year’s futile attempt at mocking each of the Chiefs 2010 NFL Draft choices, it’s time to give predicting Kansas City’s 2011 draft class the old college try. The goal is to top last year’s massive goose egg and at least hit on one draft choice. Baby steps…

This year, we decided to do things a bit differently.

Instead of posting the mock draft on KCChiefs.com, I unveiled it to fan feedback during last week’s episode of Chiefs LIVE! Included below, in this year’s mock draft, are some of the comments received from our live viewers after each pick was announced. We also provided a live poll asking fans if they agreed with the pick. Those results are included below as well.

Unfortunately, I still haven’t gotten that much-anticipated invite to review film with the Chiefs scouting department. This mock draft is based solely off my experience as a one-dimensional small-college linebacker, SportsCenter highlights and other mock drafts from across the country.

My mock draft is purely conjecture like everyone else (unfortunately, last year’s results highlight that fact).

Here we go…

Round 1 (21st overall)

OLB Justin Houston, Georgia

Big, strong and productive, Houston is one of the few collegiate defensive ends to have already undergone conversion into a 3-4 outside linebacker. When Georgia switched to a 3-4 scheme in 2010, Houston made the switch and the results were impressive.

After producing 58 tackles with 10.0 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss in two seasons as a defensive end, Houston tallied 67 tackles, 10.0 sacks and 18.5 tackles for loss as a junior outside linebacker.

Also Considered: T Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin; DT Phil Taylor, Baylor; OLB Akeem Ayers, UCLA

Fan Feedback: 51% approval rating in Chiefs LIVE! Poll

GaryinIL: Great pick Josh! We need to continue to bolster front seven.

Dawn: Don’t we need a nose tackle more? Is Phil Taylor good enough for #21?

Dan: Taylor, Paea or Torrey Smith! Or trade down and maybe still have a shot at Houston!

OhioChief: I think it’s likely if we trade back…he would not be at the top of the board at 21.

MikeN: I think we should trade down for more picks and then take best available NT with first pick. That would improve the play of any LB we choose in the later rounds.

Round 2 (55th overall)

NT Kenrick Ellis, Hampton

Few 340-pounders move as well as Ellis. Maybe it’s from his upbringing as a soccer player in Jamaica. After leaving South Carolina (violation of team rules), Ellis single-handedly changed the way Hampton played defense. As Ellis matured on and off the field, so did Hampton’s FCS ranking.

Many draft pundits believe that, in the right environment and with the right coaching, Ellis can become a force in the middle for many years to come. ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper recently said he doesn’t think Ellis will make it out of the second round.

Also Considered: WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh

Fan Feedback: 77% approval rating in Chiefs LIVE! Poll

Derrick: Romeo would turn him into a real pro.

Twan: I like that pick A LOT!!

GaryinIL: If you do not get Ellis in rd 2 we will not get him

Round 3 (86th overall)

WR Greg Little, North Carolina

Think Dexter McCluster, but bigger…much bigger (6-3, 230). Little played running back, slot and wide out for the Tarheels before settling in as North Carolina’s leading receiver in 2009. Prior to the 2010 season, Little was named a Biletnikoff Award candidate – an award given to the nation’s premier collegiate receiver.

Little was one of three Tarheels ruled ineligible for the 2010 season after receiving improper benefits from an agent. His 4.51 40-yard time made him a combine riser.

Also Considered: NT Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss

Fan Feedback: 92% approval rating in Chiefs LIVE! Poll

Dennis: Bowe on one side, Little on the other…I like it

Kcnation: Pioli wants good character guys and team captains

Round 4 (118th overall)

G/C John Moffitt, Wisconsin

A smart player, Moffitt was flagged only twice during his collegiate career. He’s also versatile, having started at right guard (5 games), center (15 games) and left guard (26 games) at Wisconsin. Finally, “Moff” is durable having started all but three games during his Badgers playing career.

Regarded as one of the top interior offensive linemen in the country, Moffitt’s availability at No. 118 may be a bit optimistic. He’s projected to go somewhere in the third or fourth round in the majority of mock drafts.

Also Considered: TE D.J. Williams, Arkansas

Fan Feedback: 89% approval rating in Chiefs LIVE! Poll

GaryinIL: I love Moffitt, reminds me of Tim Grunhard with his mauling style of play

Jeff: Is he versatile enough for zone blocking too?

Round 5, (135th overall)

FB/LB Owen Marecic, Stanford

It’s true, two-way players still exist. In many ways, Marecic is a blast from the past with his physical play and status as both a fullback and inside linebacker. Against Notre Dame, Marecic scored on both sides of the ball within 13 seconds – once as a short-yardage fullback and again off an interception return.

The All-American choice was a member of the National Honor Society and Spanish National Honor Society in high school.

Former Stanford head coach and current 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh once described Marecic as “the perfectly engineered football player.

At the NFL level, Marecic projects as a fullback, but he can likely serve as a two-for-one on a 45-man roster playing fullback and special teams in addition to dressing as an emergency linebacker.

Also Considered: RB Bilal Powell, Louisville

Fan Feedback: 58% approval rating in Chiefs LIVE! Poll

Derrick: Rookie free agent Josh, you fell off with that one buddy!

MikesKC: Sounds like a “tough, smart, physical football player” – Haley likes versatility on 45-man active gameday roster

Round 5 (140th overall)

LB Mark Herzlich, Boston College

A cancer survivor, Herzlich’s story is as inspiring as it is incredible. The 2008 ACC Defensive Player of the Year missed 87 weeks (612 days) of football while undergoing radiation and chemotherapy treatments for Ewing’s Sarcoma. The cancer was discovered in Herzlich’s thigh.

Herzlich’s path to the NFL is rivaled by few. His character chart is through the roof. Most believe Herzlich fits as an inside linebacker with a team that employs a 3-4 defensive scheme.

Also Considered: LB Nate Irving, North Carolina State

Fan Feedback: 61% approval rating in Chiefs LIVE! Poll

KCfaninAR: Are we thin at LB to take 2 in the draft?

Dennis: LBs…Our D was getting beat by short screens

Janet: Mark’s story is amazing. He would be a great member of the Kansas City community.

Round 6 (199th overall)

QB T.J. Yates, North Carolina

This is the “Tom Brady pick”, so we’re going with a quarterback based on the potential for lightening to strike twice. The Chiefs appear to be in position to develop a young QB with an incumbent starter in place and the addition of QBs coach Jim Zorn.

Despite missing a trio of talented contributors because of NCAA violations, including his top receiver, Yates still managed to set career-highs across the board in 2010. He led UNC on and off the field and also played in a pro-style offense under Butch Davis.

Also Considered: QB Ricky Stanzi, Iowa; QB Greg McElroy, Alabama

Fan Feedback: 71% approval rating in Chiefs LIVE! Poll

Mitchell: I would have liked a QB a little earlier, but this will work

JasonfromNC: T.J. was a great representative for the Tarheels during a tough year

Round 7 (223rd overall)

TE Lee Smith, Marshall

A Scott Pioli draft typically isn’t complete without a tight end included in the mix. In Pioli’s 11 drafts with the Chiefs and Patriots, only twice has the weekend ended without the selection of a tight end.

At 6-6, 270, Smith developed into an effective blocking tight end who also served as a security blanket in the receiving game at Marshall. Think Jason Dunn – a sixth offensive lineman that can contribute as a receiver when needed.

Smith is married with two children and was voted team captain at Marshall two years in a row.

Also Considered: TE Charlie Gantt, Michigan State

Fan Feedback: 85% approval rating in Chiefs LIVE! Poll

ChiefsSB2k12: This guy looks like an offensive lineman!

88GonzoFan: Smith is to Moeaki as Dunn was to Gonzo

Chiefnj2
04-25-2011, 10:31 AM
I like it a lot except for Herzlich. Great story, but he's slowww. KC needs athleticism at LB.

Dicky McElephant
04-25-2011, 10:32 AM
I like it a lot except for Herzlich. Great story, but he's slowww. KC needs athleticism at LB.

This.

The question is.....where do you play Marecic?

Chiefnj2
04-25-2011, 10:34 AM
This.

The question is.....where do you play Marecic?

Short yardage. KC has to find a way to convert 3rd and short, so as to avoid pitch backs in crucial short yardage situations.

the Talking Can
04-25-2011, 10:37 AM
not bad...really like 2nd and 3rd picks...I wonder if Little is the kind of kid Pioli would take a chance on, big upside...

Dicky McElephant
04-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Short yardage. KC has to find a way to convert 3rd and short, so as to avoid pitch backs in crucial short yardage situations.

Is he to slow to play LB?

FWIW....I'm not advocating playing him like they did in college.

Chiefnj2
04-25-2011, 10:47 AM
not bad...really like 2nd and 3rd picks...I wonder if Little is the kind of kid Pioli would take a chance on, big upside...

I wonder about Little. I noticed that in Mariucci's path to the draft, he used Little a lot. He was the receiver catching for the QB's and the WR going up against the corners.

Dicky McElephant
04-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Greg Little is going to be the new Mike Williams.

Issues in college.....falls in the draft and then tears it up in the NFL.

eazyb81
04-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Did Looney sleep through last year's draft?

What makes him think guys like Kendrick Ellis (kicked off South Carolina for multiple failed pee tests) and Greg Little (kicked off North Carolina) fit Pioli's "right 53" mantra?

I think both could be solid players at the next level, but I don't see a reasonable case for why Pioli will pick either given his clear focus on character.

Chiefnj2
04-25-2011, 11:19 AM
but I don't see a reasonable case for why Pioli will pick either given his clear focus on character.

1 reasonable case - he needs someone who can catch a ball and someone who can clog the middle.

And Justin Houston was suspended for 2 games two years ago. Technically, he wouldn't meet the Pioli requirement of spotless character.

mcaj22
04-25-2011, 11:38 AM
1 reasonable case - he needs someone who can catch a ball and someone who can clog the middle.

And Justin Houston was suspended for 2 games two years ago. Technically, he wouldn't meet the Pioli requirement of spotless character.

and that's why you will see this team pick Ayers over Houston.

These first 3 picks are great if the Chiefs actually draft purely on athletic talent, but we all know they are going for the good character guys.

the Talking Can
04-25-2011, 12:06 PM

that's what I'm thinking....fingers crossed

Mr. Laz
04-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Think Dexter McCluster, but bigger…much bigger (6-3, 230)
that's just dumb

booger
04-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Record 25 Prospects To Attend 2011 NFL Draft

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-3/Record-25-Prospects-To-Attend-2011-NFL-Draft/a1407f5c-ab79-4239-bf46-d8765bd455e0

Prince Amukamara
CB
Nebraska

Corey Liuget
DT
Illinois

Akeem Ayers
LB
UCLA

Von Miller
LB
Texas A&M

Adrian Clayborn
DE
Iowa

Rahim Moore
S
UCLA

Randall Cobb
WR
Kentucky

Cam Newton
QB
Auburn

Marcell Dareus
DT
Alabama

Patrick Peterson
CB
Louisiana State

Nick Fairley
DT
Auburn

Mike Pouncey
G/C
Florida

Blaine Gabbert
QB
Missouri

Aldon Smith
DE
Missouri

AJ Green
WR
Georgia

Tyron Smith
T
Southern California

Mark Herzlich
LB
Boston College

Phil Taylor
DT
Baylor

Mark Ingram
RB
Alabama

Danny Watkins
G
Baylor

Cameron Jordan
DE
California

JJ Watt
DE
Wisconsin

Julio Jones
WR
Alabama

Ryan Williams
RB
Virginia Tech

Ryan Kerrigan
DE
Purdue

Chiefs=Good
04-25-2011, 10:13 PM

THIS. I would LOVE to get him in the 3rd. Also i wouldnt mind Herzlich in the 5th. If he ever becomes what he was pre-cancer, hed be a steal..

Bewbies
04-25-2011, 10:50 PM
That draft looks tasty.

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Love the Ellis and Little picks. Not a fan of Houston.

Chiefnj2
04-26-2011, 08:22 AM
I think Little and Green are on tonight's Path To The Draft/Difference Makers with Mariucci on NFL Network. You can see how Little matches up to the #1 receiver in the draft.