PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft What was your Greatest Pre-Draft Prediction?

Deberg_1990
04-25-2011, 12:09 PM
For instance, did you predict on draft day that Tom Brady would be a star one day?

Did you predict that Ryan Leaf and Trezelle Jenkins would bust hard?

Mine would have to be that i predicted that Aaron Rodgers would turn out to be good right after the Chiefs passed on him.

Whats yours??

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 12:14 PM
I, along with others, predicted Mecca would run off and hide like a little bitch after he was wrong about numerous things. :)

notorious
04-25-2011, 12:15 PM
I thought Ryan Leaf and Jamassive was going to bust big time. These weren't exactly an amazing predictions, though.

CaliforniaChief
04-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Honestly, my draft acumen has been pretty poor. I believed Eric Berry would be a star. First year Pro-Bowler? No.

BossChief
04-25-2011, 01:47 PM
KEEP FUCKING DOUBTING TONY MOEAKI !!!

AndChiefs
04-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Not NFL but I predicted Greg Oden would bust....hard.

MatriculatingHank
04-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Back in '83 I told a coworker that Dan Marino was way too good to be passed up by 26 teams. I had watched him play several games for Pitt the previous year and saw NFL all over him.
I also told the same coworker that Michael Haddix (#8 overall pick) was WAY overrated. I played against him in high school and knew that his senior season at Mississippi State was a fluke.

notorious
04-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Back in '83 I told a coworker that Dan Marino was way too good to be passed up by 26 teams. I had watched him play several games for Pitt the previous year and saw NFL all over him.
I also told the same coworker that Michael Haddix (#8 overall pick) was WAY overrated. I played against him in high school and knew that his senior season at Mississippi State was a fluke.

Haddix was the shit on Tecmo SuperBowl.

PhillyChiefFan
04-25-2011, 02:18 PM
I got laughed at by my friends when I told them Brady Quinn was going to fall into the 20's a couple years back and that Jimmy Clausen was going to be around in the 2nd round last year.

Deberg_1990
04-25-2011, 02:20 PM

Nice one!

Detoxing
04-25-2011, 02:28 PM
I wanted Tom Brady to be drafted by the Chiefs. I didn't know he was gonna be a HOFer, but i wanted the Chiefs to take him.

Deberg_1990
04-25-2011, 02:35 PM
I wanted Tom Brady to be drafted by the Chiefs. I didn't know he was gonna be a HOFer, but i wanted the Chiefs to take him.

Well at least we snagged Darnell Alford 11 picks before him. :facepalm:

Steron
04-25-2011, 03:27 PM
I figured Ryan Simms was WAY over-hyped and a product of Julias Peppers' greatness more so than him being a great player. I thought he'd be solid and never figured he'd be such a monumental bust.

MoreLemonPledge
04-25-2011, 03:30 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs482.snc3/26400_368954401719_538966719_4219835_6560164_n.jpg

I predicted that Vernon Gholston would be a star for many years.

allen_kcCard
04-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Last year I predicted that I would thorougly enjoy the wings I made in preparation for watching the day one picks, only to also surmise that I would eat enough of them that I would have heartburn later that evening as a result of it.

notorious
04-25-2011, 03:38 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs482.snc3/26400_368954401719_538966719_4219835_6560164_n.jpg

I predicted that Vernon Gholston would be a star for many years.

...........ROFL

Demonpenz
04-25-2011, 03:38 PM
I though Jamaal Charles was great in the 3rd round. Then did a facepalm when he was caught from behind on a screen pass and then later Charles said his pads were too heavy.

HotRoute
04-25-2011, 03:41 PM
I remember telling my brother a few years back that Matt Ryan was going to be damn good, but i had no idea flacco was going to be as good as he is now

Wyndex
04-25-2011, 04:10 PM
I predicted the following busts:
Reggie Bush (yes I really called it)
JaFatass
Hayward-Bey (still got time for it to be set in stone)

the second they announced us taking Tyson Jackson I face palmed myself and said "jesus fucking christ we could have traded down and still been able to get him with an extra pick or 2"

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Tamba Hali wasn't "maxed out" and hadn't hit his celing yet.

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Since someone brought up Mecca. There's a couple of gems in this thread ROFL

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=200542&highlight=Tamba+Hali

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Since someone brought up Mecca. There's a couple of gems in this thread ROFL

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=200542&highlight=Tamba+HaliHis problem isn't fire, it's talent...

I didn't like that pick at the time and I still don't like it, this is why you should never draft a maxed out player with no upside.

He's not improving he's actually getting worse.ROFL Awesome sauce!

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-25-2011, 04:43 PM
He's not alone though!!

Originally Posted by Mecca
Tamba Hali should standup and walk out of town

ROFL I agree.

RedNeckRaider
04-25-2011, 04:53 PM
I thought Ryan Leaf and Jamassive was going to bust big time. These weren't exactly an amazing predictions, though.

Really? I was not a fan of the Russell pick but he was thought highly of by many draftniks. I find it funny that everyone on the planet KNEW he would bust LMAO Many thought it was an over reach but I read or heard nothing from the talking heads that he will BUST. As far as Leaf he was rated as high as Manning by many and ahead of him by some. Man the NFL needs to start hiring from here or at least read so the would never miss a pick LMAO ;)

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 04:53 PM
He's not alone though!!

Originally Posted by Mecca
Tamba Hali should standup and walk out of townThere is nothing wrong with being wrong about this shit. Hell, I'm wrong quite a bit. The difference is, I dont run away from it. Its fun to bring this shit up, though. Mecca needs to grow a pair.

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-25-2011, 04:56 PM
There is nothing wrong with being wrong about this shit. Hell, I'm wrong quite a bit. The difference is, I dont run away from it. Its fun to bring this shit up, though. Mecca needs to grow a pair.

You are right. I just came across it and thought I would share :thumb:

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 04:57 PM
I actually thought Jafatass was gonna be very good coming outta college. I figured how wrong I was very quickly.

I had a feeling Matt Ryan was gonna be good.

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 04:59 PM
You are right. I just came across it and thought I would share :thumb::thumb: I never get tired of looking up old stuff.

RedNeckRaider
04-25-2011, 05:02 PM
I actually thought Jafatass was gonna be very good coming outta college. I figured how wrong I was very quickly.

I had a feeling Matt Ryan was gonna be good.

As did many of us :facepalm: I wondered about the guy when we drafted him because he barely spoke English and struck me as slow. He did however have a flame thrower and I hoped for the best~

whoman69
04-25-2011, 05:18 PM
I think the only time I was really able to pick a bust was Kyle Boller. I still don't see how anyone thought that a guy who couldn't complete 50% of his passes in college is worth a top 15 pick.

Rain Man
04-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Related to the Chiefs, I really, really really wanted Derrick Thomas over Broderick Thomas. The draft pundits kept talking about how Broderick had tons of hurries, while Derrick had tons of sacks. A hurry in college doesn't mean that much to me, because it probably means you're not going to get there in the pros.

I also correctly predicted that Ethan Horton (too tall) and Paul Palmer (too small and slow) were going to be busts in the pros.

Al Bundy
04-25-2011, 05:47 PM
I predicted Warren Sapp was going to be the best player out of that 1995 draft.

KurtCobain
04-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Leinart busting hard and I said VY would be a good rookie but bust quickly later because he's a bitch.

ChiefaRoo
04-25-2011, 06:02 PM
I predicted Drew Brees was going to be the next coming of Lenny Dawson.. I was right...he is.... For New Orleans.

Dammit Carl, he was right there at the top of round two.

RedNeckRaider
04-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Related to the Chiefs, I really, really really wanted Derrick Thomas over Broderick Thomas. The draft pundits kept talking about how Broderick had tons of hurries, while Derrick had tons of sacks. A hurry in college doesn't mean that much to me, because it probably means you're not going to get there in the pros.

I also correctly predicted that Ethan Horton (too tall) and Paul Palmer (too small and slow) were going to be busts in the pros.

Horton was not a bust in the pros he had some solid years as a tight end for the Raiders and made a Probowl if I recall correct~

Deberg_1990
04-25-2011, 08:00 PM
As far as Leaf he was rated as high as Manning by many and ahead of him by some. Man the NFL needs to start hiring from here or at least read so the would never miss a pick LMAO ;)

Yea, at the time alot of draft gurus thought that Ryan might be the better pro or had more upside. It was split about 50/50.

Manning was the guy NFL ready
Leaf was the guy with more potential. Leaf did have one of the strongest arms ive ever seen.

Ebolapox
04-25-2011, 08:12 PM
I thought peyton manning would be one of the best QBs of all-time, but that wasn't a huge stretch in hindsight.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-25-2011, 08:17 PM
I've never really followed college football but I wanted the Chiefs to draft Ladanian Tomlinson because he had a cool name.

Ebolapox
04-25-2011, 08:18 PM
I wanted drew brees and deuce mccallister. I wanted chris mccallister.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-25-2011, 08:20 PM
I wanted drew brees and deuce mccallister. I wanted chris mccallister.

Because they have cool names?

Ebolapox
04-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Because they have cool names?

no, I wanted brees b/c he was great in college. I thought deucey would be a great nfl RB, and he was. I wanted chris mccallister b/c we needed a cornerback at that point, and he was great in college.

Rausch
04-25-2011, 08:56 PM
I can't really brag.

I was a huge fan of Deuce McAlister, Eddie George, Quentin Jammer, Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie, Antonio Cromartie, and Anquan Boldin. Yes, there's a pattern.

I was also a huge Ron Dayne, Jimmy Clausen, Tim Biakabutuka, Chris Claiborne, Boss Bailey, Peter Warrick fan.

LiL stumppy
04-25-2011, 10:02 PM
I predicted Dorsey would turn out good after his first year where everyone thought he was a bust, I precited the same with DJ last year that he would turn it around.

I wanted Joe Staley over D.Bowe.

And I have been prediciting that Tyson Jackson will be a Chiefs starter for many years, and be a solid player.

milkman
04-25-2011, 10:10 PM
I predicted months before the '08 draft that some team would draft Branden Albert and line him up at LT.

Chocolate Hog
04-25-2011, 10:14 PM
I predicted Bowe would be the best WR in his draft class. It seemed at the time there were people skeptical of Bowe.

Chiefs=Good
04-25-2011, 10:30 PM
I have loved Rogers for many years now.. I really liked Flowers coming out and hoped hed be there in the second, cause we would take him. Was really, really happy when the Raiders took JaMarcus.. :)

Rams Fan
04-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Did anyone predict that the '08's class had shit at WRs?

There's maybe 1 or 3 players that have had decent careers so far.

Rausch
04-25-2011, 10:53 PM
I predicted Bowe would be the best WR in his draft class. It seemed at the time there were people skeptical of Bowe.

I'd trade his ass for a 2nd tomorrow...

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Ooooh I remembered one. I thought Larry Johnson would be a stud/heir apparent to Priest. I actually was kind of right for a couple years.

Rausch
04-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Ooooh I remembered one. I thought Larry Johnson would be a stud/heir apparent to Priest. I actually was kind of right for a couple years.

I'd give you that one.

I think his $3it personality and off the field habits had more to do with his downfall...

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-25-2011, 11:07 PM
I'd give you that one.

I think his $3it personality and off the field habits had more to do with his downfall...

Like I said earlier I've never followed college football closely so all I knew was what I saw at draft time and I'd heard his name. He looked like a beast and said the right things when he was drafted about learning from Priest... so I thought he'd be good. Well...... kind of. Honestly since I didnt follow the college game closely I figured if I actually had heard his name he must be good.

Crush
04-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Yea, at the time alot of draft gurus thought that Ryan might be the better pro or had more upside. It was split about 50/50.

Manning was the guy NFL ready
Leaf was the guy with more potential. Leaf did have one of the strongest arms ive ever seen.

Too bad Leaf had the maturity of a twelve year-old girl.

Rausch
04-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Too bad Leaf had the maturity of a twelve year-old girl.

Not really...

:evil:

Bump
04-26-2011, 12:20 AM
I really liked the Tamba Hali pick.

I said Rick Mirer would suck because I had his and Drew Bledsoe's cards and looked at both of them andI thought Mirer's face looked douchey and he would suck (I was pretty young)

I said Dexter McCluster would suck the exact second we drafted him

big nasty kcnut
04-26-2011, 07:19 AM
I knew drew bledsoe was a good qb. Also said if he had line help he would be better then any qb in the nfl. He never got the good line help.

Deberg_1990
04-26-2011, 07:37 AM

I predicted LJ would be good. For his draft position, it was a good pick overall.

milkman
04-26-2011, 07:38 AM
I knew drew bledsoe was a good qb. Also said if he had line help he would be better then any qb in the nfl. He never got the good line help.

You didn't really know what you think you knew.

Steron
04-26-2011, 07:41 AM
I predicted Drew Brees was going to be the next coming of Lenny Dawson.. I was right...he is.... For New Orleans.

Dammit Carl, he was right there at the top of round two.

I was a huge fan of Drew Brees. I wanted the Chiefs to take him in the worst way. That said, I was also a fan of Ryan Leaf, Jimmy Clausen, Colt Brennan, Brady Quinn, Tony Pike, and Brian Brohm. So my track record with QBs is pretty awful.

EDIT to add that this year I like Ricky Stanzi. Which means he's probably doomed.

Deberg_1990
04-26-2011, 07:42 AM
I said Rick Mirer would suck because I had his and Drew Bledsoe's cards and looked at both of them andI thought Mirer's face looked douchey and he would suck (I was pretty young)

I bombed there. I thought Mirer would be a better Pro than Bledsoe. Ouch...

Frosty
04-26-2011, 08:47 AM
I didn't want any part of Brady Quinn and was glad when Cleveland gave up a bunch to jump in front of the Chiefs to get him.

AirForceChief
04-26-2011, 11:41 AM
"Well, I'd thought I'd better join, before I got drafted..."

tooge
04-26-2011, 12:23 PM
I predicted I'd eat too much and drink too much on draft day. pretty much happened in 2007

BigCatDaddy
04-26-2011, 12:25 PM
I predicted Cena would go back to Raw.

KC Tattoo
04-26-2011, 12:35 PM
I really liked the Tamba Hali pick.

The jury is still out on Dex McCluster. I predicted & believe that he will be a sollid contributer for our Chiefs and be more surprising to most around here. I still like the Dex pick.

Tamba Hali, I agree and liked that pick at the time too. He seemed like he had heart that would make up for speed or his size at DE. Very good move putting him at LB.

Dicky McElephant
04-26-2011, 12:41 PM
I predicted the Chiefs would draft Dwayne Bowe. And I've got my Boomer Grigsby signed copy of Warpaint Illustrated to prove it! :D

HotRoute
04-26-2011, 01:14 PM
I remember the Justin medlock pick a few years back, and thinking how dumb. we could have taken mason Crosby. I still think herm made a biased pick

I don't think the medlock kid lasted half a season and now Crosby is a bad ass and has SB championship

KC Tattoo
04-26-2011, 01:20 PM
I remember the Justin medlock pick a few years back, and thinking how dumb. we could have taken mason Crosby. I still think herm made a biased pick

I don't think the medlock kid lasted half a season and now Crosby is a bad ass and has SB championship

I cursed out loud when we made that pick. It was like WTF!!!!

CHENZ A!
04-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I didn't think that Russell was a bad player coming out, but I was thrilled when the Raiders drafted him because I had no doubt in my mind that they would screw him up.

My biggest miss was definitely Charles Rogers. That guy was one of the best college WR's I have ever seen, and I thought he was a can't miss.

Dicky McElephant
04-26-2011, 03:07 PM
I cursed out loud when we made that pick. It was like WTF!!!!

I've reacted that way for a bunch of our picks.

Predarat
04-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I predicted Pac Man Jones would continue to be a Thug, get arrested multiple times, and flunk out of the league in a few seasons. He actually did better then I thought he would do, he had one pretty good year and even stayed out of trouble for the most part. I was so pist when the Titans took him.

Mi_chief_fan
04-26-2011, 03:15 PM
I remember Naptown Chief chiding me when I said Santana Moss would be a star, and David Terrell would be a mega-bust. He said Terrell would be better because he was 6'2", while moss was only 5'9".

Not that Moss is a star, but he's been a good player, while Terrell, as I predicted, was a mega-bust.