PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Judge nelson sides with players

Pages : [1] 2

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 04:51 PM
mortreport Chris Mortensen
Filed to ESPN: Federal Judge Susan Richard Nelson has ruled for players, lifting lockout, per sources. Owners will seek immediate stay.

DeezNutz
04-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Shocker. Who could have guessed this?

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Judge's ruling and opinion expected to be posted shortly so more clarity is expected, even though NFL will still fight hard.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 04:54 PM
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
Filed to NFLN: Judge Nelson has ruled: Injunction to lift NFL lockout granted. NO stay. Owners now certain to seek stay from 8th circuit.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 04:55 PM
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
Again, Judge Nelson declined to grant a stay to the owners, who now must go to the eighth circuit for it.

Rausch
04-25-2011, 04:57 PM
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
Again, Judge Nelson declined to grant a stay to the owners, who now must go to the eighth circuit for it.

Great.

I'm sure this is a stupid question but how long can the owners stall/appeal this?

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Great.

I'm sure this is a stupid question but how long can the owners stall/appeal this?

The lockout is over bud but the owners will appeal it but could take 2 months to hear the case

vailpass
04-25-2011, 05:00 PM
The lockout is over bud

Has the 8th circuit ruled already? Have you heard if they will expedite?

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Wow. FA can continue at anytime now, right?

chefsos
04-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Great.

I'm sure this is a stupid question but how long can the owners stall/appeal this?Well, now that stupid questions are in play: Does this ruling (pending any stays, appeals, etc., etc.) mean that the current CBA is still in effect, as if the owners had never opted out?

Thig Lyfe
04-25-2011, 05:01 PM
So, uhhh... this is good, right?

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 05:02 PM
So, uhhh... this is good, right?

this is great

vailpass
04-25-2011, 05:02 PM
this is great

Why do you think that?

Dicky McElephant
04-25-2011, 05:03 PM

I want to know this.

Bill Lundberg
04-25-2011, 05:04 PM
I want to know this.

I'm sure the owners will remain unified until the appeal can be heard.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Sources: Judge halts NFL lockoutEmail Print Comments27 By Chris Mortensen
ESPN
Archive
U.S. District Court Judge Susan Richard Nelson has granted NFL players their motion for a preliminary injunction, therefore lifting the lockout that was imposed by owners on March 11, league and union sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

The decision is expected to be posted publicly no later than 6 p.m. ET., sources said.

Neither side had an official reaction, pending the official posting by Judge Nelson but the NFL is expected to immediately request a stay of the ruling until it can make its arguments before the United States Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit, which is headquartered in St. Louis but also has an office in St. Paul.

NFL Nation
Our eight bloggers help you keep up with all the latest NFL news division by divison. Blog

A judicial assistant for Judge Nelson, whose chambers are in St. Paul, declined comment on whether the judge has enjoined the lockout, according to the sources. The NFL is expected to release a statement shortly after Judge Nelson's ruling is posted.

The immediate impact of the ruling on the status of an estimated 500 free agent players and other player transactions is uncertain. If the league does not get the court to stay the ruling pending an appeal, the league will have to open its doors for players. The NFL also will have to decide whether to impose a similar system that has been in place under the previous collective bargaining agreement that expired on March 11.

The players had asked U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson to immediately halt the lockout at a hearing April 6.

Players including MVP quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning filed an injunction request along with a class-action antitrust lawsuit against the NFL shortly before the lockout began March 11.

Nelson ordered additional mediation between the owners and players' association while she considered the request. The sides met four times with U.S. Judge Magistrate Arthur Boylan after 16 days of failed talks in front of a federal mediator in Washington.

Nelson then gave the sides a break from mediation last week, and they weren't scheduled to reconvene until May 16.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said Friday he didn't believe the labor impasse would be resolved through the courts.

"I recognize people try to get leverage in negotiations, but at the end of the day it's going to come down to the negotiations," Goodell said. "The sooner we get to that negotiation, the better. I think the litigation has delayed those negotiations."

It still wasn't clear Monday if and when the NFL would decide to cancel games.

The tentative 2011 schedule was released last Tuesday and had regular-season games beginning Sept. 8, but it included room to maneuver. The NFL could still squeeze in 16 games with a three-week delayed start by eliminating bye weeks and the week between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.

Executive vice president for football operations Ray Anderson has said it was feasible to play fewer than the normal four preseason games, but general managers and coaches would prefer at least two.

In another ruling expected soon, U.S. District Judge David Doty has a May 12 hearing set on the players' request for damages after he ruled in March that the NFL did not maximize revenues for both sides when it renegotiated $4 billion in TV contracts with the labor dispute looming.

The NFL has also filed an unfair labor practice charge against the union with the National Labor Relations Board. The board could announce in the next four to six weeks whether it will hear the complaint. NFL officials contend that alone would be significant. Eric Grubman, the NFL's executive vice president of finance, said if the board started the process, that would indicate it believed the decertified NFL Players Association was still acting as a union, as the NFL has alleged.

The players' lawsuit was combined with two other similar claims from retirees, former players and rookies-to-be, with Hall of Famer Carl Eller the lead plaintiff in that group.

Executive VP Jeff Pash, the NFL's lead negotiator, has said he felt talks between the league and the retired players were particularly productive, and that the owners remain committed to improving benefits and taking care of their former players.

The league and players disagree sharply on how to divide more than $9 billion in annual revenue.

The owners initially wanted to double the money they get off the top for expenses from about $1 billion to about $2 billion, but that number dropped during the first round of mediation. The players have insisted on full financial disclosure from all 32 teams, and so far the league has not opened the books to their liking.

Other major issues include benefits for retired players and the NFL's desire to stretch the regular season from 16 to 18 games. The NFL also wants to cut almost 60 percent of guaranteed pay for first-round draft picks, lock them in for five years and divert the savings to veterans' salaries and benefits.

More than $525 million went to first-rounders in guaranteed payments in 2010. The league wants to decrease that figure by $300 million, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press.

Old Dog
04-25-2011, 05:06 PM
This is pretty much what everyone who has ben paying attention knew would happen. The owners will now appeal.

NOTHING is done

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 05:07 PM
JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
Bottom line now is unless appeals court breaks from Judge Nelson's ruling, the NFL will be open for business once appeal process complete

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 05:08 PM
SI_PeterKing Peter King
We don't know yet if Nelson's injunction ruling would open the 2011 league year immediately or not. Stay tuned.

vailpass
04-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Bottom line now is unless appeals court breaks from Judge Nelson's ruling, the NFL will be open for business once appeal process complete

Anyone that thinks the owners will let business as usual go on is simply retarded.

Los Pollos Hermanos
04-25-2011, 05:09 PM
I always liked Judd Nelson.

http://filmsmell.com/wp-content/uploads/judd-nelson-breakfast-club.jpg

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Anyone that thinks the owners will let business as usual go on is simply retarded.

The owners might not sign player's but atleast haley can talk to his players and work them out

Los Pollos Hermanos
04-25-2011, 05:10 PM
The owners might not sign player's but atleast haley can talk to his players and work them out

Not if the owners tell the coaches not to.

vailpass
04-25-2011, 05:11 PM

I heard the judge ruled against mullets as well.

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 05:11 PM

http://filmsmell.com/wp-content/uploads/judd-nelson-breakfast-club.jpgSHOW DICK SOME RESPECT!

raybec 4
04-25-2011, 05:17 PM
SHOW DICK SOME RESPECT!

I expected a little more from a varsity letterman.

Demonpenz
04-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Don't you...forget about me

Donger
04-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Did he tell the owners to eat his shorts?

Dave Lane
04-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Awesome, lets get a quick settlement now and start the season.

Von Dumbass
04-25-2011, 05:31 PM

Not until the owners appeal is heard. Going to be a month or two before FA can start.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Not until the owners appeal is heard. Going to be a month or two before FA can start.

Actually ESPN's legal analyst just said this is a game-changer and that its unlikely the ruling will be overturned by an appeals court.

Also said the appeals court ruling should be expected in less than a week.

Von Dumbass
04-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Actually ESPN's legal analyst just said this is a game-changer and that its unlikely the ruling will be overturned by an appeals court.

Hope it happens before the draft so Denver can trade Orton during the draft.

Dave Lane
04-25-2011, 05:34 PM
The lockout is over bud but the owners will appeal it but could take 2 months to hear the case

But until then there is business as usual. Owners will try an emergency stay but the odds of overturning the lower court is almost none.

BigMeatballDave

Also said the appeals court ruling should be expected in less than a week.No way. KnowMo knows it all.

DaFace

I guess the question (ask asked earlier) is what "open for business" actually means. There's no currently-active CBA, so I'm not sure what rules they'd even be "open" under.

Dave Lane
04-25-2011, 05:35 PM

This. There is about a .01% chance the appeals court overturns the ruling. Gentlemen we have us a season :thumb:

Dave Lane
04-25-2011, 05:36 PM
I guess the question (ask asked earlier) is what "open for business" actually means. There's no currently-active CBA, so I'm not sure what rules they'd even be "open" under.

The old status quo they had been operating under. There is still a CBA of sorts in force.

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Did he tell the owners to eat his shorts?Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 05:38 PM
per rotoworld.com

Judge Susan Nelson has granted an injunction of the NFL owners' lockout in a big win for the players' side Monday.

Just know that it's a most likely temporary thing. The owners' side has pursued a "stay" on the injunction, although it wasn't granted by Nelson in court Monday. The league is now trying to get the stay in a St. Louis appeals court. That hearing is scheduled for Tuesday. It's possible that, over the next few hours, some teams will begin contacting free agents. There's more uncertainty than ever in the NFL.

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 05:39 PM
I guess the question (ask asked earlier) is what "open for business" actually means. There's no currently-active CBA, so I'm not sure what rules they'd even be "open" under.The expired CBA. This happened in the 80s. They played 5 seasons without a new CBA.

Donger
04-25-2011, 05:40 PM
So, Dane was right? Two and .5 Men is going back on the air?

Rams Fan
04-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Didn't the NFL work without a CBA for a few years after the 1987 strike?

Apology in advance if I'm thinking about something incorrectly.

kysirsoze
04-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Hmm... maybe this will be enough to make me get excited about the draft. Not sure.

Don't worry, I'll let you guys know.

Von Dumbass
04-25-2011, 05:49 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/Brady/10113634171.pdf

^
Copy of Judge Nelson's 89 page ruling if anyone wants to read any of it.

DA_T_84
04-25-2011, 05:50 PM
The expired CBA. This happened in the 80s. They played 5 seasons without a new CBA.

That would be the best outcome.

Now, we have to pray that the players don't file antitrust lawsuits against the draft and salary cap....

Valiant
04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
That would be the best outcome.

Now, we have to pray that the players don't file antitrust lawsuits against the draft and salary cap....

If they do that I hope the NFL tells them to fuck off.. What the players want would essential ruin football..

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 06:00 PM
SI_JimTrotter Jim Trotter
i firmly believe this: if the nfl doesn't get a stay, there is no way the owners will ultimately get what they want.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Back to reality: let's see whether Judge Nelson or Appellate Court grants the stay before we run too wild. Should know very quickly
12 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

-King-
04-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Dane just typed up a 10 paragraph post explaining why he was right and why us dumbfucks should always believe him.

Then he realized that he made an "I'm leaving forever" thread and is now crying into a Handkerchief donated to him by all Hollywood actors and actresses.

crazycoffey
04-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks Judge, you just effectively raised ticket prices 50% over the next 5 years...

crazycoffey
04-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Dane just typed up a 10 paragraph post explaining why he was right and why us dumbfucks should always believe him.

Then he realized that he made an "I'm leaving forever" thread and is now crying into a Handkerchief donated to him by all Hollywood actors and actresses.

Dude, you said this before a few days ago in a different thread. it wasn't funny then and it's not fucking funny now.

-King-
04-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks Judge, you just effectively raised ticket prices 50% over the next 5 years...

How?

Dave Lane
04-25-2011, 06:08 PM

Yep cuz the players raise all the ticket prices. You do realize they don't get one extra dime of money even if they do win.

-King-
04-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Dude, you said this before a few days ago in a different thread. it wasn't funny then and it's not fucking funny now.

Link? Im pretty sure I didn't

crazycoffey
04-25-2011, 06:12 PM
How?

to compensate for the players salaries not having any controls? :shrug:

crazycoffey
04-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Link? Im pretty sure I didn't

I was channeling my inner Dane, IDK...

-King-
04-25-2011, 06:13 PM
to compensate for the players salaries not having any controls? :shrug:

How exactly won't players salaries not have any controls?

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 06:19 PM
MarkMaske MarkMaske
by BobGlauber
The NFL's request for a stay of the injunction is to be made to Judge Nelson's court later tonight.
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Goddamn it! Where the fuck is Dane?

-King-
04-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Goddamn it! Where the fuck is Dane?

Well he typed up a 10 parag....

Ah...nevermind.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 06:24 PM
was just told that some players have been contacted by their position coaches, who are capitalizing on this time of limbo. smart move?

crazycoffey
04-25-2011, 06:24 PM
How exactly won't players salaries not have any controls?

Ok, this is my understanding. The owners were seeking to control salaries more, especially rookies salaries, right? Now if this ruling holds up, we will have a season, yeah us, but no regulations on salary caps, etc. Thus the rookie salaries continue to increase and the owners will increase ticket prices to compensate.

Realistic, maybe / maybe not. But that was what I was inferring with my comment.

Well he typed up a 10 parag....

Ah...nevermind.

ROFL

-King-
04-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Ok, this is my understanding. The owners were seeking to control salaries more, especially rookies salaries, right? Now if this ruling holds up, we will have a season, yeah us, but no regulations on salary caps, etc. Thus the rookie salaries continue to increase and the owners will increase ticket prices to compensate.

Realistic, maybe / maybe not. But that was what I was inferring with my comment.

ROFL

No the owners were seeking to give the players less than they were already giving them. The players want a salary cap in place because with a salary cap, there's a salary floor.

Owners won't use ticket prices to compensate because there is nothing to compensate for. Even without rookie salary regulations, they're still making money hand over fist.

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Do you think the Owners would actually lower ticket prices if they got their way?

tk13
04-25-2011, 06:29 PM

The players have never said they want more money than they make now. The owners have been trying to reduce the amount of money players receive from the league's revenues. Ticket prices could be raised... but that's because the owners say they aren't making enough money, which is why they're trying to reduce the players' share of TV money in the first place.

crazycoffey
04-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Do you think the Owners would actually lower ticket prices if they got their way?

well of course not, and my comments were tongue in cheek anyway.

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 06:34 PM
well of course not, and my comments were tongue in cheek anyway.:doh!:

Rausch
04-25-2011, 06:46 PM
was just told that some players have been contacted by their position coaches, who are capitalizing on this time of limbo. smart move?

I wondered if this would happen.

You have to think that if a team could get that extra head start on everyone else and get away with it they would. Be that with free agents or their own players...

alnorth
04-25-2011, 06:48 PM

You are mistaken. Well, not about rookie salaries, but the players aren't necessarily opposed, and rookie salaries are not a big issue at all.

The owners wanted to strong-arm the players into taking a really big pay cut. The players asked the owners to prove they needed the money. The owners basically responded by saying no, we don't have to give you the information you need, take a pay cut or we are locking you out.

CoMoChief
FUCK YEAH!!! now we can sign Kendrell Bell

ChiefsandO'sfan
EdBouchette Ed Bouchette
by RavensInsider
Steelers players plan to report to work at team's facility Tuesday a.m. http://tinyurl.com/42u5k67

DeezNutz
04-25-2011, 06:50 PM
You are mistaken. Well, not about rookie salaries, but the players aren't necessarily opposed, and rookie salaries are not a big issue at all.

The owners wanted to strong-arm the players into taking a really big pay cut. The players asked the owners to prove they needed the money. The owners basically responded by saying no, we don't have to give you the information you need, take a pay cut or we are locking you out.

They should go work at McDonald's!!!!!

crazycoffey
04-25-2011, 06:51 PM

how am I mistaken, we agree 100% on the take, you just said it differently than I did. I'm not trying to prove points, I'm just saying;

"great, now the ticket prices will go up because of this ruling /sarcasm...."

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 06:53 PM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
From antitrust attorney in know. RT @JasonLReimer: If I were a player, I'd show up tomorrow at team facilities to argue for workout bonuses.

dirk digler
04-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Does this decision now lead to Free Agency with no limits?

-King-
04-25-2011, 06:58 PM
NFL won’t start league year without chance to seek a stay

Posted by Mike Florio on April 25, 2011, 7:49 PM EDT
AP AP

Judge Susan Nelson has issued an order ending the lockout, without any limitation or delay. The league plans to seek a stay of the ruling.

Until the stay is obtained, the lockout is, in theory, over.

So what if NFL players decide to report to their team facilities on Tuesday for offseason strength and conditioning? Any team that refuses to let the players inside possibly will be in violation of Judge Nelson’s order.

That’s precisely what could happen. “We do not intend to start the league year until we have had an opportunity to seek a stay,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells PFT via e-mail.

In other words, if they show up, they’re not getting in.

It seems like a reasonable position. But it’s a calculated risk. The lockout is, until further notice, over. Any team that fails to honor that order could be in trouble.

It’s all moot, unless players show up for work on Tuesday. With hundreds of them under contract for 2011, we can’t imagine that not a single one will try.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 07:00 PM
minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply SI_PeterKing Peter King
Just talked to an agent who is advising his client with a huge workout bonus to report to his team Tuesday at 9 am.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 07:01 PM
ProFootballTalk ProFootballTalk
Safety Ryan Clark tells Steelers teammates to show up for work at 8:00 a.m. Tuesday http://wp.me/p14QSB-x40

League source says NFL big shots have been engaged in a conference call for the last 45 minutes and counting to figure out next steps.

Von Dumbass
04-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Lawyer/agent who works often in federal district court: Stay pretty much going to happen. Shocked if were not to happen. Not much changed.

https://twitter.com/nytbishop/status/62658608789336064

Dylan
04-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Steelers' Clark: Players planning to report to work tomorrow morning

Monday, April 25, 2011

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With the NFL lockout lifted, Steelers players plan to start reporting to work at the team's facility as soon as 8 a.m. Tuesday.

Safety Ryan Clark, the NFL Players Association representative for the Steelers, began calling and texting teammates this evening to inform them that they are free to report to work and urging them to do so early Tuesday.

"I'm trying to get guys there at 8 o'clock, to get out there and show we want to be here, we want too be part of this organization and we want to be on the field," Clark told the Post-Gazette this evening. "We want to show this is not a litigation process but an attempt to have football in 2011."

First published on April 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11115/1141865-100.stm

BossChief
04-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Wow.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Timeline @Mentions Retweets Searches Lists AlbertBreer Albert Breer
Agent Brad Blank just told me he has advised client and Giants DE Chris Canty, who has a $250K workout bonus, to report to work tomorrow.
42 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply AlbertBreer Albert Breer
Can add ... RT @SI_PeterKing Just talked to an agent who is advising his client with huge workout bonus to report to his team Tues at 9 am.
adbrandt Andrew Brandt
by KenWeinman1057
There will definitely be players showing up at NFL facilities tomorrow morning. Teams are being briefed tonight on how to handle.
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
This sense of confusion on the league's part makes us even more convinced that the league was convinced it would win before Judge Nelson.

dirk digler
04-25-2011, 07:19 PM
https://twitter.com/nytbishop/status/62658608789336064

I hope he is right

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 07:21 PM
I hope he is right:spock:

ChiefsandO'sfan
This sense of confusion on the league's part makes us even more convinced that the league was convinced it would win before Judge Nelson.

-King-
I hope he is right

Wait...you want a stay to happen?

DeezNutz
I hope he is right

Why?

The unscrupulous fucks should kill themselves.

vailpass
04-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Wait...you want a stay to happen?

Absolutely.

-King-
04-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Absolutely.

Why?

DeezNutz
04-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Absolutely.

Well, go ahead...Please explain why he feel this way.

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Absolutely.You dont want football?

vailpass
04-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Why?

Can't let the inmates run the asylum. This type of limbo is bad for the game. Better for all if both sides sit down and hammer out a long-term agreement. Left unchecked the players, by the legal actions they are pursuing, could alter the game forever and for the worse.

vailpass
04-25-2011, 07:26 PM
You dont want football?

I don't want football ruined. I don't wan't football in limbo. I want football for the long term with no cloud of labor trouble or work stoppage hanging over the fan's heads.

-King-
04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Can't let the inmates run the asylum. This type of limbo is bad for the game. Better for all if both sides sit down and hammer out a long-term agreement. Left unchecked the players, by the legal actions they are pursuing, could alter the game forever and for the worse.

How are the players trying to run anything? They're not the ones who stopped play. They're not the ones who opted out of the CBA. They're not trying to run anything.

DeezNutz
04-25-2011, 07:27 PM

This decision will damn near force the owners to ensure that a deal gets done. Otherwise, they'll soon have to open the books, which they clearly don't want to do.

vailpass
04-25-2011, 07:29 PM
How are the players trying to run anything? They're not the ones who stopped play. They're not the ones who opted out of the CBA. They're not trying to run anything.

Okay.

BigMeatballDave
I don't want football ruined. I don't wan't football in limbo. I want football for the long term with no cloud of labor trouble or work stoppage hanging over the fan's heads.
Go back to the 1987 work stoppage. The League was without a new CBA for 5 seasons. (I've typed this like 5 times now)

ChiefsandO'sfan
MarkMaske MarkMaske
by ArrowheadPride
The players' side believes the free agent market is now open, I'm told. The league does not believe the free agent market is open.
8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

vailpass
04-25-2011, 07:30 PM
This decision will damn near force the owners to ensure that a deal gets done. Otherwise, they'll soon have to open the books, which they clearly don't want to do.

I hope you are right, I hope they sit down and do a deal. Not play under the old CBA for this season only to have to re-address this issue again in the near future.

-King-
04-25-2011, 07:31 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/316796362/mark_maske_63_normal.jpg
MarkMaske (http://twitter.com/#%21/MarkMaske) MarkMaske by ArrowheadPride

The players' side believes the free agent market is now open, I'm told. The league does not believe the free agent market is open.

10 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/MarkMaske/status/62672489767124993) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

-King-
04-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Okay.

So they did opt out?

In what way are they trying to run anything?

vailpass
04-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Go back to the 1987 work stoppage. The League was without a new CBA for 5 seasons. (I've typed this like 5 times now)

Yep, that would not be good now. The landscape has changed. The rookie salary cap has got to be addressed. Health benefits for former players has got to be addressed. Profit and expense division of revenue under the new and existing TV contracts have got to be addressed.

-King-
04-25-2011, 07:34 PM
So...are GMs in the middle ground here? They likely want FA to start...but they can't try to sign players with the owners appealing.

DeezNutz
04-25-2011, 07:35 PM
The rookies will be sold out. Health benefits will be improved for all involved, and the duplicitous ****ing owners will suddenly make a "concession" about revenue splits.

The owners have been a ****ing joke from the start, and they've now been called.

oldandslow
04-25-2011, 07:35 PM
The owners will get busted for collusion if they don't open up free agency pretty quickly imo. Cost MLB owners a bazillion dollars a few years back.

dirk digler
04-25-2011, 07:36 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Yes I want the stay to happen and could care less if there is football this year or not. I just don't the NFL to become MLB

-King-
04-25-2011, 07:36 PM
The owners will get busted for collusion if they don't open up free agency pretty quickly imo. Cost MLB owners a bazillion dollars a few years back.

Whoa. Thats a lot of money.

-King-
04-25-2011, 07:37 PM

Yes I want the stay to happen and could care less if there is football this year or not. I just don't the NFL to become MLB

Once again...how are the players trying to run anything?

vailpass
04-25-2011, 07:38 PM
The rookies will be sold out. Health benefits will be improved for all involved, and the duplicitous ****ing owners will suddenly make a "concession" about revenue splits.

The owners have been a ****ing joke from the start, and they've now been called.

Do you really think the NFL owners got where they are by being "called" so easily? Do you really think the owners will get the short end of the stick when it is all said and done?

vailpass
04-25-2011, 07:38 PM

My god man if you don't see it by now you never will.

oldandslow
04-25-2011, 07:39 PM

It's going to. Owners aren't gonna win this. And mlb isn't terrible. Really has had more different champs than football over the past 20 years.

Rausch
04-25-2011, 07:40 PM

LMAO

-King-
04-25-2011, 07:41 PM
My god man if you don't see it by now you never will.

Explain it to me then.

Brock
04-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Do you really think the NFL owners got where they are by being "called" so easily? Do you really think the owners will get the short end of the stick when it is all said and done?

According to them, they've already been taking it up the ass for years, so why wouldn't they?

dirk digler
04-25-2011, 07:42 PM

LMAO

The whole decertification is a sham and everyone knows it, well except the judge.

-King-
04-25-2011, 07:43 PM
LMAO

The whole decertification is a sham and everyone knows it, well except the judge.

So....that means they're trying to run shit?

I don't know, I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the people who are trying to run shit are the ones who OPTED OUT not the ones who are being locked out.

dirk digler
04-25-2011, 07:45 PM
It's going to. Owners aren't gonna win this. And mlb isn't terrible. Really has had more different champs than football over the past 20 years.

MLB is awesome they have 3-4 teams that spend well over $100 million a year and then you have the Royals and Pirates around $40 million.

Yep no problem there

Rams Fan
04-25-2011, 07:46 PM
MLB is awesome they have 3-4 teams that spend well over $100 million a year and then you have the Royals and Pirates around $40 million.

Yep no problem there

At the same time, teams like the Rays beat out teams that spend over $100 million...

DeezNutz
04-25-2011, 07:47 PM

Easily? As one example, the only thing that Clark did was happen to be the lucky sperm.

Some end up in water bottles. Some end up "earning" ownership of an NFL team.

-King-
04-25-2011, 07:47 PM

Yep no problem there

Yeah, except NFL players would like a salary cap because that would mean that there's a salary floor.

tk13
04-25-2011, 07:48 PM

Yep no problem there

I think the owners would dump the salary cap before the players would. But who knows. The owners certainly were okay playing without one last year.

Rausch
04-25-2011, 07:49 PM
At the same time, teams like the Rays beat out teams that spend over $100 million...

How often?...

Brock
04-25-2011, 07:49 PM

Yep no problem there

Sounds like something somebody who doesn't really pay any attention to baseball would say.

dirk digler
04-25-2011, 07:51 PM
So....that means they're trying to run shit?

I don't know, I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the people who are trying to run shit are the ones who OPTED OUT not the ones who are being locked out.

I am not saying the owners are innocent in this but it is their money and their investment.

In the end they need to negotiate and get a deal done before they both ruin the NFL.

Dylan
04-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Timeline @Mentions Retweets Searches Lists AlbertBreer Albert Breer
Agent Brad Blank just told me he has advised client and Giants DE Chris Canty, who has a $250K workout bonus, to report to work tomorrow.
42 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply AlbertBreer Albert Breer
Can add ... RT @SI_PeterKing Just talked to an agent who is advising his client with huge workout bonus to report to his team Tues at 9 am.
adbrandt Andrew Brandt
by KenWeinman1057
There will definitely be players showing up at NFL facilities tomorrow morning. Teams are being briefed tonight on how to handle.
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Chad Ocho Cinco, WR, CIN - Really excited to start my 2 a day training in Atlanta tomorrow morning at 6 am n at 1 in the afternoon,hoping I've access to cold-hot tubs 04-26

Steven Jackson, RB, STL - Just getting to the airport...rushing to the gate. I hate when I over pack my backpack #fb 04-26

Steven Smith, WR, NYG - #hahagoodbye Lockout !!! 04-25

http://planetsmilies.net/not-tagged-smiley-16881.gif

SNR
04-25-2011, 07:53 PM
It's going to. Owners aren't gonna win this. And mlb isn't terrible. Really has had more different champs than football over the past 20 years.How many of them operate on a payroll the size of the Royals'?

That's great. It's not good enough for the Chiefs to be on a 17-year playoff victory drought. They need to go on a 17-year playoff berth drought.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 07:53 PM
LATimesfarmer Sam Farmer LA Times
by mortreport
Former NLRB chairman tells me there is no court more sympathetic to employers than the very conservative 8th Circuit.

SNR
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Sounds like something somebody who doesn't really pay any attention to baseball would say.Tell us the truth then.

dirk digler
04-25-2011, 07:58 PM

Of course but I just don't see how anyone could think MLB is some kind of model that needs to be followed.

This year the Yankees payroll is $196 million while the Royals are dead last at $35 million.

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 07:58 PM
by mortreport
Former NLRB chairman tells me there is no court more sympathetic to employers than the very conservative 8th Circuit.Leave it up to St. Louis to fuck it up.

-King-
04-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Of course but I just don't see how anyone could think MLB is some kind of model that needs to be followed.

This year the Yankees payroll is $196 million while the Royals are dead last at $35 million.

The players are in favor of a salary cap though...

tk13
04-25-2011, 08:02 PM
How many of them operate on a payroll the size of the Royals'?

That's great. It's not good enough for the Chiefs to be on a 17-year playoff victory drought. They need to go on a 17-year playoff berth drought.

There have been several times over the last 5 years or so where a team with a smaller payroll than the Royals made the playoffs. People would be surprised if they paid attention. It's probably not bad considering very few teams in baseball actually make the playoffs.

Rams Fan
04-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Leave it up to St. Louis to fuck it up.

LMAO

We shall see.

tk13
04-25-2011, 08:04 PM

That's because the Royals pretty much cleared the decks to allow all the players coming through the farm system to get to the big league club.

Let's not start throwing 2001 Royals BS all over this thread. The Royals payroll has been in the $70-80 million range over the past 4-5 years. They chopped over $30 million in the payroll this offseason just by losing Guillen and Meche and trading Greinke. There have been teams make the playoffs, and even the World Series, with payrolls in the 60-70 million range.

Bump
04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Judd Nelson is in on this mess now? That dude kicked ass in The Breakfast Club but has never been seen since.

dirk digler
04-25-2011, 08:09 PM
The players are in favor of a salary cap though...

How could that be there is no union..;)

Marcellus
04-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Comparing baseball and football payroll systems is asinine. Baseball has an entire minor leauge system of cheaper players. It takes longer to develop baseball players even out of college. There are exceptions but that is very rare.

The way the systems work is completely different and neither system would work for the other sport.

Silly talk.

-King-
04-25-2011, 08:15 PM
How could that be there is no union..;)

They were in favor of one long before the desertification.

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Judd Nelson is in on this mess now? That dude kicked ass in The Breakfast Club but has never been seen since.You're a little late to the party, dude. :)

dirk digler
04-25-2011, 08:18 PM
There have been several times over the last 5 years or so where a team with a smaller payroll than the Royals made the playoffs. People would be surprised if they paid attention. It's probably not bad considering very few teams in baseball actually make the playoffs.

But how many have won? Only the Marlins and at the time their payroll was $49 million.

Since 2000

Yankees - $92 million
Arizona - $81 million
Angels - $61 million
Marlins - $49 million
Red Sox - $125 million
White Sox - $75 million
Cardinals - $89 million
Red Sox - $143 million
Phillies - $98 million
Yankees - $201 million
Giants - $98 million

BigMeatballDave
04-25-2011, 08:19 PM
LMAO

We shall see.Does your dad work in the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals? Fucker.

:)

-King-
04-25-2011, 08:21 PM
But how many have won? Only the Marlins and at the time their payroll was $49 million.

Since 2000

Yankees - $92 million
Arizona - $81 million
Angels - $61 million
Marlins - $49 million
Red Sox - $125 million
White Sox - $75 million
Cardinals - $89 million
Red Sox - $143 million
Phillies - $98 million
Yankees - $201 million
Giants - $98 million

Other than the Yankees and Redsox, all those teams have a payroll close to the Royals.

alnorth
04-25-2011, 08:25 PM
LMAO

I just finished reading that very long, very dry 89-page ruling. Judge Nelson was very thorough in pulling up dozens of cases and numerous 8th circuit and supreme court precedents.

Essentially, employees have both the right to be represented by a union, AND the absolute right, at any time for any reason, to decide not be represented by a union. This apparently isn't the first time an employer called foul on a sham decertification, and there's a set of guidelines that have to be met before a union can be said to have decertified, thus opening up antitrust complaints.

The player's union was apparently very careful to meet every single criteria necessary to decertify. The ruling, and lots of prior rulings in the last couple generations, explicitely say that just because a decertification was a tactical move, does not make it a sham. A decertification is a sham when a union continues to act like a union. The NFLPA has filed all the paperwork with the labor board and IRS, they amended their own charter to forbid the NFLPA from collectively bargaining on behalf of any player, and they have notified the league that they will no longer assist the players in any greivances against the NFL. As of right now, the players are all non-union independant contractors who are each responsible for negotiating the best deal they can.

The players can do that, they have the absolute right to dissolve their union for any reason, as long as they really and truely de-unionize, and the players give up a lot of advantages by no longer being represented by a union.

The NFL is screwed. They really need the players to be in a union abiding by a CBA, or we'll have a wild-west situation in a couple years, with rampant free agency, no requirement to respect a draft, etc. On the other side of it, they also no longer need to guarantee that the players get x% of the revenue, but the owners will come crawling back to the table for the sake of competitive balance.

tk13
04-25-2011, 08:27 PM

Since 2000

Yankees - $92 million
Arizona - $81 million
Angels - $61 million
Marlins - $49 million
Red Sox - $125 million
White Sox - $75 million
Cardinals - $89 million
Red Sox - $143 million
Phillies - $98 million
Yankees - $201 million
Giants - $98 million

If the Royals farm system pans out, their payroll probably won't be too far away from those numbers. Provided people come out to the ballpark in droves if they're winning. We went into the low $80's with a bad team that didn't draw.

I mean otherwise I agree the system is skewed toward the Yankees and Red Sox. Even the Cardinals are going to have a hard time keeping Pujols and staying competitive.

Rausch
04-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Leave it up to St. Louis to **** it up.

EXACTLY what I thought...

alnorth
04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Other than the Yankees and Redsox, all those teams have a payroll close to the Royals.

well, not now, but last year, sure. Revenue sharing has been greatly enhanced in baseball to the point where the royals could regularly afford a payroll well north of $70MM per year if they wanted to. They spent big money last year on broken-down and overrated old players. They are now banking money for the future.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
espn_nfcwest Mike Sando, ESPN.com
by ArrowheadPride
Lester Munson on ESPN: Judge's ruling written in manner making it unlikely appeals court will grant stay. Expects lockout to indeed die.
24 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

-King-
04-25-2011, 08:30 PM
I just finished reading that very long, very dry 89-page ruling. Judge Nelson was very thorough in pulling up dozens of cases and numerous 8th circuit and supreme court precedents.

Essentially, employees have both the right to be represented by a union, AND the absolute right, at any time for any reason, to decide not be represented by a union. This apparently isn't the first time an employer called foul on a sham decertification, and there's a set of guidelines that have to be met before a union can be said to have decertified, thus opening up antitrust complaints.

The player's union was apparently very careful to meet every single criteria necessary to decertify. The ruling, and lots of prior rulings in the last couple generations, explicitely say that just because a decertification was a tactical move, does not make it a sham. A decertification is a sham when a union continues to act like a union. The NFLPA has filed all the paperwork with the labor board and IRS, they amended their own charter to forbid the NFLPA from collectively bargaining on behalf of any player, and they have notified the league that they will no longer assist the players in any greivances against the NFL. As of right now, the players are all non-union independant contractors who are each responsible for negotiating the best deal they can.

The players can do that, they have the absolute right to dissolve their union for any reason, as long as they really and truely de-unionize, and the players give up a lot of advantages by no longer being represented by a union.

The NFL is screwed. They really need the players to be in a union abiding by a CBA, or we'll have a wild-west situation in a couple years, with probably free agency itself destroyed, no requirement to respect a draft, etc. On the other side of it, they also no longer need to guarantee that the players get x% of the revenue, but the owners will come crawling back to the table for the sake of competitive balance.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/twhite718/m8390y.gif

-King-
04-25-2011, 08:31 PM
well, not now, but last year, sure. Revenue sharing has been greatly enhanced in baseball to the point where the royals could regularly afford a payroll well north of $70MM per year if they wanted to. They spent big money last year on broken-down and overrated old players. They are now banking money for the future.

Yeah thats what I meant.

Psyko Tek
04-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Hope it happens before the draft so Denver can trade Orton during the draft.

oh yes trade orton, let's see the football Jebus play
Mr Teebo, a Mr Hali would like to have a word with you

please let this shit be over

dirk digler
04-25-2011, 08:41 PM
If the Royals farm system pans out, their payroll probably won't be too far away from those numbers. Provided people come out to the ballpark in droves if they're winning. We went into the low $80's with a bad team that didn't draw.

I mean otherwise I agree the system is skewed toward the Yankees and Red Sox. Even the Cardinals are going to have a hard time keeping Pujols and staying competitive.

Which is basically what I was arguing. MLB is skewed to large market teams. The one saving grace for the NFL is the owners still share TV revenue..for now anyway

dirk digler
04-25-2011, 08:43 PM
I don't want this to turn political but I have to think some of my conservative friends that support the players have Obama to thank for this. Judge Nelson was his appointment :)

Just Passin' By
04-25-2011, 08:47 PM
I don't want this to turn political but I have to think some of my conservative friends that support the players have Obama to thank for this. Judge Nelson was his appointment :)

This isn't really split on political lines.

dirk digler
04-25-2011, 08:48 PM
This isn't really split on political lines.

Obviously.

keg in kc
04-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Dammit Judd Nelson.

http://por-img.cimcontent.net/api/assets/bin-201001/8485ca7f257c001f5b2357ecc2639ce2.jpg

kstater
04-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Hey the same Judd Nelson joke that was made 6 hours ago, then again 3 hours ago, then again an hour ago.

Bewbies
04-25-2011, 08:50 PM
If nothing else this should make the draft more fun.

Hopefully they do free agency at the same time--that would be INSANE and AWESOME.

keg in kc
04-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Hey the same Judd Nelson joke that was made 6 hours ago, then again 3 hours ago, then again an hour ago.Consistency. That is the planet.

chefsos
04-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Consistency. That is the planet.If I don't fall asleep first, I'm gonna go ahead and schedule the next Judd Nelson joke for, say, 1:15am EST. That OK with everyone's calendars?

Okie_Apparition
04-25-2011, 11:52 PM
I hope Laz isn't hiding in the bushes at Arrowhead. Jumps out, then hits Jamal in the knee with a lead pipe & calls a commie puke.

Rausch
04-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Dammit Judd Nelson.

http://por-img.cimcontent.net/api/assets/bin-201001/8485ca7f257c001f5b2357ecc2639ce2.jpg

He wins.

ALWAYS!

Chocolate Hog
04-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Dammit Judd Nelson!

Dave Lane
04-26-2011, 12:26 AM

There is a 0.0% chance of that ever happening. Baseball got caught dozing because they are too conservative due to how long the sport had been big time.

DA_T_84
04-26-2011, 12:46 AM
HAY ENYWON KNOW WHY JUSDD NELSON"S BREAKSFAT CLUB AND NFL??!!?!!

HAHAA!!!A11

BIG_DADDY
04-26-2011, 12:47 AM
The owners should tell the honorless bitch to suck their dick.

keg in kc
04-26-2011, 12:59 AM
I don't want this to turn political but I have to think some of my conservative friends that support the players have Obama to thank for this. Judge Nelson was his appointmentI've held the theory for a while that this is all a setup for Obama to swoop in at the 11th hour and somehow mediate a solution, giving him a platform for his re-election campaign.

(I'm as apolitical as you can be, I just like floating conspiracies)

DA_T_84
04-26-2011, 01:01 AM
I've held the theory for a while that this is all a setup for Obama to swoop in at the 11th hour and somehow mediate a solution, giving him a platform for his re-election campaign.

(I'm as apolitical as you can be, I just like floating conspiracies)

Hey, dad I can't see too good, is that Sportsshrink over there?
/Matt Foley (chris farley)

Chocolate Hog
04-26-2011, 01:22 AM
HAY ENYWON KNOW WHY JUSDD NELSON"S BREAKSFAT CLUB AND NFL??!!?!!

HAHAA!!!A11

Dude come on you gotta wait every 3rd hour to post the joke.

DA_T_84
04-26-2011, 02:23 AM
Dude come on you gotta wait every 3rd hour to post the joke.

Wait, someone else made a Judd Nelson joke?

Chocolate Hog
04-26-2011, 03:53 AM
Wait, someone else made a Judd Nelson joke?

Judd Nelson from breakfest club is now an NFL judge!!!

crazycoffey
04-26-2011, 04:41 AM
If I don't fall asleep first, I'm gonna go ahead and schedule the next Judd Nelson joke for, say, 1:15am EST. That OK with everyone's calendars?

He wins.

ALWAYS!

Damn, just 21 minutes off, chefsos....
can I punish Rausch now?
feed him drunk punch?

Pushead2
04-26-2011, 06:34 AM
@AdamSchefter

Adam Schefter - Overnight, NFL filed notice to Judge Nelson that they were appealing to the 8th circuit. They want the 8th circuit to handle it by June.

Hydrae
04-26-2011, 07:42 AM
I am just curious, with all the talk of needing a new CBA, is this even possible without a union to negotiate the players side? I thought the NFLPA was disbanded and could not be reformed for at least one year. It seems like this could cause issues but I really don't understand how some of this works.

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2011, 07:51 AM
1987 strike and decertification

The NFLPA struck for a month in 1987. On this occasion, however, they only succeeded in canceling one week of the season. For the next three weeks, the NFL staged games with hastily assembled replacement teams. They were made up of several players cut during training camp, as well as a few veterans who crossed the picket lines. The television networks showcased these games as if they featured players of the same quality as the veterans who were out on strike. Many of the league's owners had anticipated a strike and had put replacements on standby for $1,000 per game.
However, the NFLPA failed to set up a strike fund to cover lost salaries. Fearing that the owners would cut off their annuities, 89 players crossed the picket line. Among the most prominent players to immediately cross the line were New York Jets defensive end Mark Gastineau and Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Randy White. San Francisco 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Steve Largent later joined the replacement players and other strikebreakers.
Faced with cracks in union support, the willingness of the networks to broadcast the replacement games, and hostile public sentiment, the union voted to go back to work on October 15, 1987 without a collective bargaining agreement. They had to wait another week to get back on the field, however, since they hadn't come back by the owners' deadline. The union filed a new antitrust suit that same day.
The Court of Appeals ultimately rejected that suit on the ground that the labor exemption from antitrust liability protected the employers, even though the union was no longer party to a collective bargaining agreement that would have permitted the practices that the union was challenging. In response, the union formally disclaimed any interest in representing NFL players in collective bargaining and reformed itself as a professional organization in 1989. Having done that, the following year union members, led by Freeman McNeil of the New York Jets, brought a new antitrust action against the NFL challenging its free agency rules as an unlawful restraint of trade.
The players ultimately prevailed, after a jury trial on their claims, in that action. That verdict, the pendency of other antitrust cases and the threat of a class action filed by Reggie White, then with the Philadelphia Eagles, on behalf of all NFL players brought the parties back to the negotiating table. They finally agreed on a formula that permitted free agency. In return, the owners demanded and received a salary cap, albeit one tied to a formula based on players' share of total league revenues. The agreement also established a salary floor - minimum payrolls all teams were obliged to pay.
The Redskins—who won the Super Bowl after football resumed in 1982—did so again in Super Bowl XXII. The Redskins had none of their regular players cross the picket lines during the period of replacement games. (The Replacements, a 2000 movie starring Keanu Reeves, is loosely based on the experiences of the Washington Redskins "scabs," which went 3-0 in the regulars' absence.)
Replacement player Sean Payton, who was a quarterback for the Chicago Bears "Spare Bears," eventually worked his way to coaching in the NFL with the New Orleans Saints, winning Super Bowl XLIV as a head coach. Another replacement player, linebacker Eugene Seale, with the Houston Oilers, impressed so much Jerry Glanville that after the strike ended, he earned a roster spot and started a successful seven-year career, mostly as a special teams player.

Returning to collective bargaining

The settlement was presented to and approved by the judge who had heard the McNeil antitrust case in 1993. Once the agreement was approved the NFLPA reconstituted itself as a labor union and entered into a new collective bargaining agreement with the league. The NFLPA and the league have extended their 1993 agreement five times, most recently in March 2006 when it was extended through the 2011 season after the NFL owners voted 30-2 to accept the NFLPA's final proposal. However, in May 2008 the owners decided to opt out of this agreement and play the 2010 without a bargaining agreement in place. This means the 2010 season was played without a salary cap (or floor), and there is the looming possibility of no play at all in 2011 if an agreement cannot be reached. A point of contention between the owners and the NFLPA is removing two pre-season games and making them regular-season games, bringing the total number of regular season games to eighteen. Another major topic is former-player insurance after any player has retired.

Cave Johnson
04-26-2011, 10:09 AM
by mortreport
Former NLRB chairman tells me there is no court more sympathetic to employers than the very conservative 8th Circuit.

They're hella conservative, but, unless it's a unsettled area of law, that bias isn't going to control over settled 8th Circuit and SC president. I'll defer to Alnorth's read of the lower court decision.... if it's not a sham decertification, there's very little at issue. They might throw a bone to the the owners and grant the stay, though.

That said, I did get a pro-litigant, anti-government decision out of them on a somewhat unsettled issue.

If anyone's curious, here's one read on the court.

http://www.dkosopedia.com/wiki/United_States_Courts_of_Appeals

The [2007] study ranks the circuit courts from most liberal to most conservative as follows: 9th; 3rd; 2nd; 10th; 6th; DC; 11th; 1st; 4th; 8th; 5th; 7th.

Cave Johnson
04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Teams barring players.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/28834067

While some teams may indeed be allowing players onto team facilities, others are not, CBSSports.com has learned.

In at least one case, players reported to start offseason workouts. When they arrived, a source close to the situation said, a lawyer working for the team escorted the players into a conference room, handed them a letter, and asked them to leave.

Similar stories are being told to CBSSports.com. Some teams are providing the illusion of allowing players to work out but once behind closed doors -- and away from the media -- players are told to either leave the facility or are barred from using weight facilities.

In some cases, it appears, teams aren't truly honoring Nelson's ruling ending the lockout.

This is getting nasty and needs to be controlled by Judge Susan Nelson. Or else all hell will break loose even more than it has.

Kerberos
04-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Players ask judge to force owners to start league year

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/26/players-ask-judge-to-force-owners-to-start-league-year/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 26, 2011, 12:52 PM EDT

NFL players had until Wednesday morning to respond to the owner’s request for a stay following Monday’s court ruling, but the players didn’t wait that long.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that players sent a letter to Judge Susan Nelson on Tuesday asking for clarification regarding what it means when she says the lockout is “enjoined.” (I guess I wasn’t the only one confused with that word.)

The players are essentially trying to force the league to impose working rules or get the league year started without rules. The primary objective by the players is for the judge to force the league to start the league year.

Now the ball is back in the owner’s court. She ordered the owners to respond by 5 p.m. ET Wednesday, according to Schefter.

This unprecedented, insane week is only going to get crazier.

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah, the Judge needs to refine her decision or shits gonna hit the fan.

Garcia Bronco
04-26-2011, 12:25 PM
I've got an interesting legal angle. The players never surrendered the NFLPA domain name...meaning they never actually truly decertified. And as of midnight their website is backup operating as the NFLplayers assoc. Meaning they have unionized again.

milkman
04-26-2011, 12:33 PM
I've got an interesting legal angle. The players never surrendered the NFLPA domain name...meaning they never actually truly decertified. And as of midnight their website is backup operating as the NFLplayers assoc. Meaning they have unionized again.

The NFLPA decertified as a union, and have reorganized as a consulting firm, essentially.

Garcia Bronco
04-26-2011, 12:36 PM
The NFLPA decertified as a union, and have reorganized as a consulting firm, essentially.

Then why did they take down the website? Because they are playinb bullshit lawyer games and it's dishonest.

Garcia Bronco
04-26-2011, 12:38 PM
It's still registered to the NFLPA

<TABLE style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0px" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Registrant:</TD><TD colSpan=3>Make this info private (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/domain-name-registration/private.jsp)</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4>NFL Players Association </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4>1133 20th Street NW</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4>Suite 600</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4>WASHINGTON, DC 20036-4909 </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4>US </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4>Domain Name: NFLPLAYERS.COM </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0px" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Registrant:</TD><TD colSpan=3>Make this info private (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/domain-name-registration/private.jsp)</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4>NFL Players Association </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4>1133 20th Street NW</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4>Suite 600</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4>WASHINGTON, DC 20036-4909 </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4>US </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD colSpan=4>Domain Name: NFLPLAYERS.COM

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
And they must have wised up too because they took their site back down.

Los Pollos Hermanos
04-26-2011, 12:40 PM
I have a website with a group of my friends. Does that make me a union?

milkman
04-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Then why did they take down the website? Because they are playinb bullshit lawyer games and it's dishonest.

As al north pointed out earlier, they did what they had to do to legally decertify.

Everyone, including the judge that ruled in the player's favor know what they did and what the intent is.

Doesn't matter.

We all know that when and if an agreement is reached, the union will recertify at the earliest possible date, which is a year from the date they decertified.

The legal manuevering is the only way for the players to gain any leverage in these negotiations, and to this point, they are winning all the leverage.

Thig Lyfe
04-26-2011, 12:42 PM
@JoshCribbs16

Wasn't allowed to return 2 workouts or train at the facility...

Garcia Bronco
04-26-2011, 12:42 PM
As al north pointed out earlier, they did what they had to do to legally decertify.

Everyone, including the judge that ruled in the player's favor know what they did and what the intent is.

Doesn't matter.

We all know that when and if an agreement is reached, the union will recertify at the earliest possible date, which is a year from the date they decertified.

The legal manuevering is the only way for the players to gain any leverage in these negotiations, and to this point, they are winning all the leverage.

As long as we all understand that it's a lie and dishonest and it is not justice. Personally I would tell this judge to shove it up her ass in the nicest way possible.

Brock
04-26-2011, 12:43 PM
As long as we all understand that it's a lie and dishonest and it is not justice. Personally I would tell this judge to shove it up her ass in the nicest way possible.

A lie and dishonest? Oh noez! LMAO

milkman
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM

Personally, I would like to see you do that.

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Then why did they take down the website? Because they are playinb bullshit lawyer games and it's dishonest.WTF does a website have to do with them being a Union?

L.A. Chieffan
04-26-2011, 12:45 PM
i laugh at all the people who said they were never going to watch baseball again after the '94 strike. are they going to say the same thing about this?

Chocolate Hog
04-26-2011, 12:47 PM
i laugh at all the people who said they were never going to watch baseball again after the '94 strike. are they going to say the same thing about this?

A lot of people still haven't. Pre-season football games get better ratings than baseball.

DaFace
04-26-2011, 12:48 PM
WTF does a website have to do with them being a Union?

I doubt it would really make a difference, but the concept is similar to the "corporate veil." If you're gonna say that you're not a union, you can't be acting like you are.

Garcia Bronco
04-26-2011, 12:50 PM
WTF does a website have to do with them being a Union?

It's an asset owned by the Union and publically is an outward claim that they are a Union...this is according to their own website which has a legal disclaimer.

Micjones
04-26-2011, 12:52 PM

http://filmsmell.com/wp-content/uploads/judd-nelson-breakfast-club.jpg

Rep.

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2011, 12:56 PM
i laugh at all the people who said they were never going to watch baseball again after the '94 strike. are they going to say the same thing about this?It took me yrs to get back into baseball. I'm still not at that same level of enthusiasm as I was then.

DenverDanChiefsFan
04-26-2011, 01:05 PM
No the owners were seeking to give the players less than they were already giving them. The players want a salary cap in place because with a salary cap, there's a salary floor.

Owners won't use ticket prices to compensate because there is nothing to compensate for. Even without rookie salary regulations, they're still making money hand over fist.Is that the same Hannover Fist that screwed Capt. Stern when he took the withness stand?

Red Brooklyn
04-26-2011, 02:00 PM
Nope. Well, not me anyway. Still don't watch Baseball. Can't wait for football to start up.

Just Passin' By
04-26-2011, 02:19 PM

Other than a random inning here or there if I walk in on a game, I haven't watched baseball since they took the World Series. I'm a Red Sox fan, yet I didn't watch even the World Series games.

If football shuts down mid-season and takes away a Super Bowl, I'll stop watching that sport, too.

ohiobronco2
04-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Wow. It's been a long day. I thought it said Judd Nelson sides with players. 4th cup of coffee.

Dylan
04-26-2011, 07:46 PM
@JoshCribbs16

Wasn't allowed to return 2 workouts or train at the facility...

Star Ledger:

MikeGarafoloMike Garafolo

Canty praising the Giants as a "class-act" organization for allowing the players to use the facility. #nyg

Well, surprise, surprise: DT Chris Canty was already here, after Manningham, before Jacobs. #NYG

http://twitter.com/#!/bigblueview

alnorth
04-26-2011, 09:48 PM

It sure as hell is justice, under our law.

Employees have both, a right to be represented by a union, AND a right to NOT be represented by a union. If there's no union, then antitrust laws kick in.

You are trying to argue that the NFL Players have no choice but to be eternally represented by a union, forever and ever, until the end of time even if all the players retire and are replaced by college draftees. That is not fair. You cant bind new employees to an arrangement set up by old employees now long-gone, forever.

The fact that a decertification was a tactical decision is IRRELEVANT. The players give up a lot of protections and advantages by not being represented by a union, thus they can always decertify if they want to. The NFL owners thought, foolishly, that they had ALL of the leverage. They do not.

Chocolate Hog
04-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Good god how moronic can people be?

alnorth
04-26-2011, 09:54 PM

No, you don't have an interesting legal angle. The NFLPA did not cease to exist, it was reclassified as a trade association. If there's any loose ends or extraneous obscure info still identifying them as a union, that is not relevant compared to their filings with the IRS, the labor board, and their current policy and behavior.

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2011, 10:02 PM
ROFLGood god how moronic can people be?This post is dripping with irony.

Chocolate Hog
04-26-2011, 10:03 PM
ROFLThis post is dripping with irony.

Funny coming from the guys Cholesterol is over 300. I assume you were dripping with sweat as you typed that.

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Funny coming from the guys Cholesterol is over 300. I assume you were dripping with sweat as you typed that.:spock:

milkman
04-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Funny coming from the guys Cholesterol is over 300. I assume you were dripping with sweat as you typed that.

This is, by far the stpidiest post in this thread, and quite possibly in the history of posting.

Chocolate Hog
04-26-2011, 10:10 PM
This is, by far the stpidiest post in this thread, and quite possibly in the history of posting.

Shutup your cranky bastard.

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Billay must be drinking/drunk.

Chocolate Hog
04-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Dave,are you really going to sit here and let people like Laz and this other idiot sit here and bash the judge for making her ruling to save football for the next season? It's not like she made a ruling that hasn't been done before and provided over 88 pages of evidence. I may say a lot of stupid shit but I don't sit here bashing people who are going to saving football. JFC

milkman
04-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Shutup your cranky bastard.

My cranky bastard?

Is that what we're calling it?

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Dave,are you really going to sit here and let people like Laz and this other idiot sit here and bash the judge for making her ruling to save football for the next season? It's not like she made a ruling that hasn't been done before and provided over 88 pages of evidence. I may say a lot of stupid shit but I don't sit here bashing people who are going to saving football. JFCLMAO WTF? Who are you addressing?

Chocolate Hog
04-26-2011, 10:30 PM
I thought your name was Dave? If not my apologies. Did you not see what Laz mentioned early or GarciaBroncos post?

Dave Lane
04-26-2011, 10:31 PM
Dave,are you really going to sit here and let people like Laz and this other idiot sit here and bash the judge for making her ruling to save football for the next season? It's not like she made a ruling that hasn't been done before and provided over 88 pages of evidence. I may say a lot of stupid shit but I don't sit here bashing people who are going to saving football. JFC

Are you talking to me?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XzPBUGUM7KQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chocolate Hog
04-26-2011, 10:33 PM
My cranky bastard?

Is that what we're calling it?

When we're correcting typos it says we have nothing better to do.

milkman
04-26-2011, 10:35 PM
When we're correcting typos it says we have nothing better to do.

Or perhaps, just maybe, it says, even though I was highly critical of your previous post, it doesn't mean that I hate you, and can throw a joke your way.

Chocolate Hog
04-26-2011, 10:36 PM
Or perhaps, just maybe, it says, even though I was highly critical of your previous post, it doesn't mean that I hate you, and can throw a joke your way.

Dumbass.

Thig Lyfe
04-26-2011, 10:43 PM
This thread has either lost or found its burst.

kysirsoze
04-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Billay must be drinking/drunk.

Keep him talking. I'm really bored at work.

Chocolate Hog
04-26-2011, 10:45 PM
I've had a few tall boys no homo

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2011, 10:46 PM
I thought your name was Dave? If not my apologies. Did you not see what Laz mentioned early or GarciaBroncos post?It is Dave. I didnt see what Laz said. I was posting in this mess earlier.
I support the Judges decision on this.

Garcia Bronco
04-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Tyrod Taylor had 9 seconds.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 07:51 AM
From ESPNs botton line... NFLPA attorney sends memo to all players advising they can start shopping their services to teams immediately.

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2011, 07:54 AM
It sure as hell is justice, under our law.

Employees have both, a right to be represented by a union, AND a right to NOT be represented by a union. If there's no union, then antitrust laws kick in.

They never stopped colluding as a group. That's a Union. De-certification actually needs to mean that they cease collective activities.

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2011, 07:58 AM
No, you don't have an interesting legal angle. The NFLPA did not cease to exist, it was reclassified as a trade association. If there's any loose ends or extraneous obscure info still identifying them as a union, that is not relevant compared to their filings with the IRS, the labor board, and their current policy and behavior.

It certainly is relevent. Their public face from an internet perspective is neither a loose end or extraneous.

Again...Their web page came back up and on their web page it indicated they are a Union. That means that publically...yesterday they advertised themselves as a Union.

Ebolapox
04-27-2011, 08:01 AM

is she hot? I'd like to see it too if possible.

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2011, 08:05 AM
She's double hot.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 08:09 AM
They never stopped colluding as a group. That's a Union. De-certification actually needs to mean that they cease collective activities.Non-sense. They are an association. No one is negotiating on their behalf. Doesnt matter anyway, the judge thinks they have satisfied the criteria to no longer be considered a Union.

Ebolapox
04-27-2011, 08:10 AM
let's see if I can find pics... kinda disturbed that her middle name is richard. that's not a girl name.

http://www.am1220.ca/cp/sports/NY173_25_02_2011_222844-0400_high.jpg

not horrible by any means. I mean, she's sporting a bit of age--and with her middle name, possibly a penis. aside from those two major concerns, she's no judge ito. old girl (?) rocks the pearl necklace, we can give her that at least (aha, double entendre). and speaking of double puns, she needs her teeth whitened (aha).

Dave Lane
04-27-2011, 09:14 AM
They never stopped colluding as a group. That's a Union. De-certification actually needs to mean that they cease collective activities.

So lobbyist are not allowed to try to change any laws for their constituency?

Dayze
04-27-2011, 10:00 AM
From ESPNs botton line...

:hmmm:

Brock
04-27-2011, 10:24 AM
It certainly is relevent. Their public face from an internet perspective is neither a loose end or extraneous.

Again...Their web page came back up and on their web page it indicated they are a Union. That means that publically...yesterday they advertised themselves as a Union.

lol, clownshoes.

RedNFeisty
04-27-2011, 11:11 AM
So, what does this mean??

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 11:14 AM
So, what does this mean??You must show us your tits. Court ordered. Sorry.

Brock
04-27-2011, 11:16 AM

It means the owners badly overplayed their hand. Pants around their ankles badly.

RedNFeisty
04-27-2011, 11:19 AM
You must show us your tits. Court ordered. Sorry. Nice try! ;)

It means the owners badly overplayed their hand. Pants around their ankles badly.

So, is the lock lifted and there will be a season this year?? Or is it just the start of court dates and hearings??

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 11:25 AM
So, is the lock lifted and there will be a season this year?? Or is it just the start of court dates and hearings??Still much more dick-measuring to be done.

Just Passin' By
04-27-2011, 11:43 AM

There will be the rulings on the stay, both from Nelson and, probably, from the appellate court. This circuit is considered to be possibly the most business friendly of all the federal circuits. The owners are banking on that, and hoping that they can win on the appellate level, since they've been getting their asses kicked at the district level for about 2 decades. If the appellate court rules in the owners' favor, the lockout will be back in place, the players will appeal to the Supreme Court and, if the those 9 clowns in black robes take up the case, we'll finally get some truly binding rulings about the NFL and its status. If the appellate court rules against the owners, the owners will pretty much be forced to settle because, if they can't get the 8th circuit on their side, it's highly unlikely that they'll be able to win at the highest level with that split court.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-27-2011, 01:01 PM
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
Filed to NFL Net: NFL letter to Judge Nelson requests time for league to respond to plaintiffs' request for $1 billion bond in case of stay.

BigMeatballDave
04-27-2011, 01:04 PM
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
Filed to NFL Net: NFL letter to Judge Nelson requests time for league to respond to plaintiffs' request for $1 billion bond in case of stay.OK, what is the Bond for?

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-27-2011, 01:06 PM
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
The league's letter was written by NFL local counsel Aaron Van Oort.
12 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
... NFL to Nelson on $1B bond: "This request raises significant issues that the NFL Defendants have not had an opportunity to address. ..."

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-27-2011, 01:55 PM
ProFootballWkly Pro Football Weekly
RT @dkaplanSBJ NFL now has 2 letters due to Judge Nelson by 5 PM ET today: one on the $1B bond issue & one on its own clarification request.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-27-2011, 04:48 PM
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
So the NFL's argument is that was actually a "motion to reconsider" not clarify.
45 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply AlbertBreer Albert Breer
... And would prevent another lockout for the period of a year.
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
NFL also attached the players proposal, an order that could be signed by Nelson that would lift the lockout completely with her signature.
3 minutes ago Favorite

luv
04-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Every time I glance over the title to this on the front page, I think it says Judd Nelson.

tomahawk kid
04-27-2011, 05:22 PM
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
So the NFL's argument is that was actually a "motion to reconsider" not clarify.
45 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply AlbertBreer Albert Breer
... And would prevent another lockout for the period of a year.
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
NFL also attached the players proposal, an order that could be signed by Nelson that would lift the lockout completely with her signature.
3 minutes ago Favorite

So, the owners are caving in order to avoid a "stop / start"?

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-27-2011, 08:38 PM
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
According to court documents, Judge Nelson has denied motion to stay her ruling upon appeal. Going through it now.
FUCK YEA BABY

cabletech94
04-27-2011, 08:40 PM
so this means the season has started?

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-27-2011, 08:40 PM
so this means the season has started?

YEA

Marcellus
04-27-2011, 08:41 PM
If that is true, tomorrow will be 2x as fun.

cabletech94
04-27-2011, 08:42 PM
If that is true, tomorrow will be 2x as fun.

is it REP time?