PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet A question about mods

luv
04-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Not trying to stir shit, I promise. I'm just wondering exactly what the mods have the power to do. I know you can read deleted posts. Can you read rep messages or private messages?

luv
04-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Just wondering if there's anything that can be said with total privacy.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Send the nudes, no one cares.

Valiant
04-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Just wondering if there's anything that can be said with total privacy.

Seriously? It is the internet. Nothing is safe. They can look at anything you have posted on your account.

Saulbadguy
04-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Seriously? It is the internet. Nothing is safe. They can look at anything you have posted on your account.

I'm guessing that it's not that easy to read PM's without doing some unsupported things to the database.

Iowanian
04-26-2011, 08:21 AM
People don't know it but I've been a mod here for 5 years.

Not only can I see your PM and Rep messages, but I can see into your soul and read your diary.

The thing with the cucumber and ear of sweet corn is somewhere between "OMG I can't unread that" and "Where is the video".

luv
04-26-2011, 08:23 AM
People don't know it but I've been a mod here for 5 years.

Not only can I see your PM and Rep messages, but I can see into your soul and read your diary.

The thing with the cucumber and ear of sweet corn is somewhere between "OMG I can't unread that" and "Where is the video".

;)

Royal Fanatic
04-26-2011, 08:29 AM
I was a moderator at another site for a few years. That site used the same software (vBulletin) as this one.

As a moderator (at least over there) I was unable to read private messages or rep messages. However, there is a more powerful type of user called an administrator, and the administrators could pretty much read anything.

You should never expect privacy on a forum like this.

chiefsnorth
04-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Why would or should a mod be reading people's private messages? IMO there shouldn't be snooping going on by mods at all unless there is a very good reason. But I know that rule enforcement politics here are complex...

luv
04-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Why would or should a mod be reading people's private messages? IMO there shouldn't be snooping going on by mods at all unless there is a very good reason. But I know that rule enforcement politics here are complex...

Like I said, I'm not trying to stir shit up. Just being curious on what all they can do.

Iowanian
04-26-2011, 08:37 AM

You should probably stfu about mods or I'll turn your username into a newt.

Deberg_1990
04-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Like I said, I'm not trying to stir shit up. Just being curious on what all they can do.

Why? do you not want us to know about your lesbian lover, a bank you robbed, you cheated on a test.......

All of the above?

Rooster
04-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Are mods paid? I've always wondered that.

rockymtnchief
04-26-2011, 08:46 AM
They can see through your curtains and blinds in your windows also. Take off the Raiders jacket and scrunchy NOW!

Iowanian
04-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Why? do you not want us to know about your lesbian lover, a bank you robbed, you cheated on a test.......

All of the above?

According to Dear Diary, she's not a lesbian, but she was "oddly curious" about the body of girl in the locker room who was wearing the buzz cut when everyone else was into the afro.

milkman
04-26-2011, 08:50 AM

With undying respect, as can be seen in numerous threads recently.

luv
04-26-2011, 08:51 AM

All of the above?

Please. Everyone knows I'm an open book on here. Not necessarily me I'm asking for.

Bearcat
04-26-2011, 08:57 AM

Besides the free beer, season tickets & suite at Arrowhead, tickets/travel to select home games, VIP passes to the bash, and field access for any game or personal event, we don't get crap. It's a pretty thankless job.

Hmmm, not sure I was supposed to mention the VIP passes. Oh well.

WV
04-26-2011, 09:01 AM
According to Dear Diary, she's not a lesbian, but she was "oddly curious" about the body of girl in the locker room who was wearing the buzz cut when everyone else was into the afro.

Was everyone else into the afro or was everything else on the buzz cut girl an afro???

Iowanian
04-26-2011, 09:06 AM
No, according to the diary, Julie was wearing "high n tight" haircuts on her low n loose, long before it was mainstream.

DaFace
04-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Rep messages: yes
PM's: It's technically possible, but not something that's easy to do at all (and thus, isn't really ever done). However, people can report PM's if there's something we need to look at.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 09:14 AM
People should not be frightened of their mods. Mods should be frightened of their people.

Gonzo
04-26-2011, 09:18 AM
People should not be frightened of their mods. Mods should be frightened of their people.

This. You know what we should do? We should post giant pictures that say things like, "The mods are Nazi assholes!"
Yeah, that's the ticket.
You go first!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bwana
04-26-2011, 09:20 AM
PM's: It's technically possible, but not something that's easy to do at all (and thus, isn't really ever done). However, people can report PM's if there's something we need to look at.

Heh, and it's not like we go around looking at rep messages, unless someone reports a rep that's really bad. :hmmm:

luv
04-26-2011, 09:21 AM

Not the point of this thread at all.

luv
04-26-2011, 09:21 AM

Thank you.

Brock
04-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Why don't you PM a mod with these kinds of questions?

luv
04-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Why don't you PM a mod with these kinds of questions?

In this case, I have my reasons.

Saulbadguy
04-26-2011, 09:29 AM
In this case, I have my reasons.

:LOL:

Claynus
04-26-2011, 09:38 AM
I have a good question, too: I was just about to post an image that had the word "bullshit" in it.

Now, normally I wouldn't hesitate, especially as I posted it a couple weeks ago and no one batted an eye, but after recent developments I was wondering if posting images with profanity in them is now against site policy. I wouldn't want someone who has set up their personal profanity filter to filter out "bullshit" to see the word "bullshit."

Mods?

Sofa King
04-26-2011, 09:44 AM
I have a good question, too: I was just about to post an image that had the word "bullshit" in it.

Now, normally I wouldn't hesitate, especially as I posted it a couple weeks ago and no one batted an eye, but after recent developments I was wondering if posting images with profanity in them is now against site policy. I wouldn't want someone who has set up their personal profanity filter to filter out "bullshit" to see the word "bullshit."

Mods?

I have my filter on, and it doesn't filter bullshit.

although it would be conceivable that somebody put that into their filter.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 09:46 AM
I have my filter on, and it doesn't filter bullshit.

although it would be conceivable that somebody put that into their filter.

I know. I WOULD NOT WANT TO OFFEND THAT PERSON.

Bob Dole
04-26-2011, 09:48 AM

Mods?

After discussion, the mods have decided that there is now a forum policy forbidding you to post anything at all.

Donger
04-26-2011, 09:50 AM
After discussion, the mods have decided that there is now a forum policy forbidding you to post anything at all.

LMAO

patteeu
04-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Not trying to stir shit, I promise. I'm just wondering exactly what the mods have the power to do. I know you can read deleted posts. Can you read rep messages or private messages?

Of course they can. Private doesn't always mean private, period.

patteeu
04-26-2011, 09:57 AM

Mods?

I've set up my personal profanity filter to filter out the word "fail". Please ChiefsPlanet, respect my sensitivity to this word.

JASONSAUTO
04-26-2011, 09:58 AM

FINALLY!!

Phobia
04-26-2011, 10:01 AM
We can't see private messages unless we want to dink in and are capable of dinking around in the database. People who are capable of dinking in the database like that are typically highly paid consultants. They have better things to do with their time.

I am capable but wouldn't begin to start without a very good reason and a P.O.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 10:03 AM

Mods?

That's a good question. You're wise to be careful. I would simply avoid any images containing profanity if I were you. Either that or I would use your abilities to change the word to bull****. That would be smart for somebody who is under scrutiny.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 10:05 AM

Indeed. Very complex. They are so complex that we've had hundreds of posts about them recently and people are still confused. The most important rule a moderator should consider when taking administrative action is, "do I like this person?"

Deberg_1990
04-26-2011, 10:08 AM
I am capable but wouldn't begin to start without a very good reason and a P.O.

Doesnt this sort of touch on legalities and privacy laws as well? Or is anything a person posts on here fair game even though it might have been said in a private message?

The mailman cant open my mail without recourse.....

chiefsnorth
04-26-2011, 10:09 AM
You should probably stfu about mods or I'll turn your username into a newt.

I've had worse!

chiefsnorth
04-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Indeed. Very complex. They are so complex that we've had hundreds of posts about them recently and people are still confused. The most important rule a moderator should consider when taking administrative action is, "do I like this person?"

We know :)

Donger
04-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Doesnt this sort of touch on legalities and privacy laws as well? Or is anything a person posts on here fair game even though it might have been said in a private message?

It's been a long time since I registered, but I would imagine there were some terms and conditions to which we all agreed.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 10:16 AM

I'm guessing it's addressed in the agreement you made when you signed up. It's not like email. You have a reasonable expectation of privacy in email. But I'm really uncertain and don't really care enough to check because I don't really care enough to look at anybody's private messages.

Deberg_1990
04-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Nothing on the internet is ever truly private unless its encrypted.

BigMeatballDave
04-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Does this mean the other Mods can see all the Penis pics I sent to DaFace?

Frazod
04-26-2011, 10:28 AM
That's a good question. You're wise to be careful. I would simply avoid any images containing profanity if I were you. Either that or I would use your abilities to change the word to bull****. That would be smart for somebody who is under scrutiny.

IMO, as long as its mild (like the picture of the exasperated guy with the caption "Not this shit again!") I can't imagine anybody getting butthurt over it.

Obviously there are different degrees of cuss words.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 10:46 AM
IMO, as long as its mild (like the picture of the exasperated guy with the caption "Not this shit again!") I can't imagine anybody getting butthurt over it.

Obviously there are different degrees of cuss words.

Yeah. That's why we've added the worst racial slurs and profanity to the filter. Honestly, even if Clay posted a graphic containing "shit" I wouldn't delete it or ban him unless there were a complaint and even then I would probably only censor the picture - not ban. I can't speak for the other mods though. We try to discuss things in the mod forum and stay on the same page but like I said early, Clay is under scrutiny. If he provides a reason somebody will probably take it. He's best served just being careful for a while.

Donger
04-26-2011, 10:54 AM
I wonder if GoChiefs is enjoying the scrutiny or not.

Baconeater
04-26-2011, 10:56 AM
The admins can reset passwords. That should tell you all you need to know.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 10:56 AM

Of course he is. Attention is attention.

Donger
04-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Of course he is. Attention is attention.

I'm not so sure.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 10:59 AM
The admins can reset passwords. That should tell you all you need to know.

This is a good point. But if an admin resets a password and you can't get in, you know something is fishy.

A much older version of vBull used to display the current password for users. Which is why is was very stupid for people from Pennsylvania to sign up for this site using the very same password they used for their own website and then screw around with us.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm not so sure.

I care a lot what he thinks.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM

The "scrutiny" doesn't bother me. I'm not Hootie. I did think twice about images with profanity in them, though. Not a big deal.

patteeu
04-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah. That's why we've added the worst racial slurs and profanity to the filter. Honestly, even if Clay posted a graphic containing "shit" I wouldn't delete it or ban him unless there were a complaint and even then I would probably only censor the picture - not ban. I can't speak for the other mods though. We try to discuss things in the mod forum and stay on the same page but like I said early, Clay is under scrutiny. If he provides a reason somebody will probably take it. He's best served just being careful for a while.

Why do the rules change when a complaint is made? Why not have a fixed rule and then if there are sufficient complaints, consider changing the fixed rule to a different fixed rule that applies to everyone. We need mods making as few on-the-fly decisions as possible, IMO.

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:03 AM

That wasn't my point (whether or not you care). It's sort of like the Dog Whisperer. The dog (GoChiefs) has been getting away with things for a while and then Cesar shows up.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:04 AM
That wasn't my point (whether or not you care). It's sort of like the Dog Whisperer. The dog (GoChiefs) has been getting away with things for a while and then Cesar shows up.

That's a fairly retarded interpretation of events.

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:04 AM
The "scrutiny" doesn't bother me. I'm not Hootie. I did think twice about images with profanity in them, though. Not a big deal.

I'm glad to see that you're thinking things through.

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:05 AM
That's a fairly retarded interpretation of events.

No, it isn't.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:06 AM
No, it isn't.

Yes, it is.

ClevelandBronco
04-26-2011, 11:06 AM
I've set up my personal profanity filter to filter out the word "fail". Please ChiefsPlanet, respect my sensitivity to this word.

I've set up mine to filter out "BucEyedPea" and "BEP" just for the hell of it. She's become a series of asterisks.

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Yes, it is.

Why? You don't deny that your behavior has changed due to recent events, right?

Fritz88
04-26-2011, 11:08 AM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk19ovBKsT1qzw92qo1_500.gif

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Why? You don't deny that your behavior has changed due to recent events, right?

Not really, no.

Deberg_1990
04-26-2011, 11:10 AM

You should, hes your most loyal customer! Over 104K+ posts and climbing!

ClevelandBronco
04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Doesnt this sort of touch on legalities and privacy laws as well?

Not in the least bit.

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Not really, no.

That's odd. You just checked in with the mods regarding a word you wanted to use. Have you ever done that before?

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:14 AM
That's odd. You just checked in with the mods regarding a word you wanted to use. Have you ever done that before?

No, but that's rather minor.

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:15 AM
No, but that's rather minor.

Well, I'm glad to see that you are taking to the leash rather well. I'm proud of you.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Why do the rules change when a complaint is made? Why not have a fixed rule and then if there are sufficient complaints, consider changing the fixed rule to a different fixed rule that applies to everyone. We need mods making as few on-the-fly decisions as possible, IMO.

They don't change. They're likely to be enforced if we're made aware. When this place is putting up 10k ppd during the season there's no way mods can review every post during our enjoyment of the site. Therefore, users should assume we haven't seen a post and if it is in violation it should be reported. On a personal level, I'm not going to run around using my relaxing time moderating posts that aren't bothering anybody. If it's reported, I think it's fair to ask a mod to take action if necessary.

OTOH, there are often nitpicky reports concerning posts that don't violate any rules at all. We mostly ignore those.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Well, I'm glad to see that you are taking to the leash rather well. I'm proud of you.

It's hardly a leash. I'm just very careful about the profanity filter. That shit is serious.

Saul Good
04-26-2011, 11:18 AM

Kennels are cozy.

Dartgod
When will the opressed people get here to make this thread more interesting?

Donger
It's hardly a leash. I'm just very careful about the profanity filter. That shit is serious.

Of course it's a leash and one to which we are all subjected.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Of course it's a leash and one to which we are all subjected.

What do you think I would do differently in the absence of this metaphorical leash?

Phobia
04-26-2011, 11:19 AM

You acknowledge you're under scrutiny but that's not a "leash"? What is it about your ego that will not allow an accurate descriptor to be used in relation to what is happening here?

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:20 AM
What do you think I would do differently in the absence of this metaphorical leash?

I doubt that you would have inquired about using profanity before the choke collar was applied, no?

Bearcat
04-26-2011, 11:20 AM

Do you actually want the mods to police the forum? It seems to me the ability to report posts is a good way to ensure things don't get completely out of hand, while still allowing freedom and letting members feel like they're not being constantly monitored.

Yes, that means it's not black and white, but I think most people can handle that. There are fixed rules, they do apply to everyone, and there's been a lot of clarification over the past few weeks, then even more clarification for the denser crowd.

We aren't going to constantly babysit to catch every filter bypass or whatever. You're all adults. Don't make me turn this car around.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:22 AM
I doubt that you would have inquired about using profanity before the choke collar was applied, no?

Please answer my question with an answer, instead of a question.

ClevelandBronco

You wouldn't be coming off like Spiccoli beaming at Mr. Hand, for one thing.

dirk digler

Mods?

Good question I would think the filter couldn't filter out embedded words in an image file.

Could be wrong on that though.

DaFace
04-26-2011, 11:24 AM
They don't change. They're likely to be enforced if we're made aware. When this place is putting up 10k ppd during the season there's no way mods can review every post during our enjoyment of the site. Therefore, users should assume we haven't seen a post and if it is in violation it should be reported. On a personal level, I'm not going to run around using my relaxing time moderating posts that aren't bothering anybody. If it's reported, I think it's fair to ask a mod to take action if necessary.

OTOH, there are often nitpicky reports concerning posts that don't violate any rules at all. We mostly ignore those.

My version:

I don't really care, so I'm not going to go around nitpicking stuff that isn't bothering anyone.

(I really don't understand why people are still convinced that we're going to go running around banning people by enforcing every little rule to the letter of the law. Odd.)

Donger
Please answer my question with an answer, instead of a question.

You wouldn't have made such an inquiry about the profanity filter before your recent vacation. Sorry, I thought that was clear by my question.

Bearcat

And as far as during football season (or in drama threads), things are so fast-paced, no one may even see your filter bypass or your Howard Stern like attempt to push through boundaries.... no need to hunt for and modify posts that are on page 8 an hour after the thread is made, that will probably never be read again.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:25 AM
You wouldn't have made such an inquiry about the profanity filter before your recent vacation.

That's really not much of a leash. I'm not Dane or someone who needs to use a constant stream of profanity.

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:27 AM
That's really not much of a leash. I'm not Dane or someone who needs to use a constant stream of profanity.

It's just an example of the change in behavior that you've demonstrated since being given a correction. Overall, you seem much more docile and agreeable. Again, I'm proud of you being able to make an adjustment.

patteeu
04-26-2011, 11:28 AM

I guess your post was just awkwardly phrased then because it sure sounded like you were saying that you'd let the image go even if you'd seen it as long as no one complained. I'd recommend the following change:

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Overall, you seem much more docile and agreeable.

Like I said: your interpretation of events is retarded.

pr_capone
04-26-2011, 11:29 AM

What are you gonna do when the season starts? Gonna keep posting vids and taping games?

Fuckwit made it clear that piracy, unless it is done by grandllama and given a home on the forum, is a clear violation of the rules and may be considered ban worthy.

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Like I said: your interpretation of events is retarded.

I understand that you think that, and you're entitled to that opinion. But, you ARE much more docile now. I doubt that that's just my opinion.

Saul Good
04-26-2011, 11:30 AM
It's just an example of the change in behavior that you've demonstrated since being given a correction. Overall, you seem much more docile and agreeable. Again, I'm proud of you being able to make an adjustment.

Yep. There's a more apt dog analogy here than him being on a leash; a couple, actually.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:31 AM
But, you ARE much more docile now.

This is not accurate whatsoever. It has nothing to do with opinions, either. It's fact.

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:32 AM
This is not accurate whatsoever.

Of course it is. Perhaps inside you are gnashing your teeth, but that isn't demonstrated in your outward posts.

Perhaps we could have a show of hands?

Has GoChiefs been tamed or not?

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:33 AM
This is not accurate whatsoever. It has nothing to do with opinions, either. It's fact.

I see you added. What is a fact?

Phobia
04-26-2011, 11:34 AM
I guess your post was just awkwardly phrased then because it sure sounded like you were saying that you'd let the image go even if you'd seen it as long as no one complained. I'd recommend the following change:

No, I really said what I meant. I don't think I've moderated a post or picture since I've been back unless there was a complaint attached to it. I spend time on this site for my own enjoyment. I don't love to swing my mod-stick around. I'd rather be interacting and enjoying the site. If I notice something way over the line I'll pro-actively resolve it but generally, if a post or an image isn't bothering anybody I won't waste my time correcting it. I feel this is the general attitude of the entire mod team.

Saul Good
04-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Of course it is. Perhaps inside you are gnashing your teeth, but that isn't demonstrated in your outward posts.

Domesticated, muzzled, and neutered is more like it. I, for one, welcome the change I've observed.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 11:36 AM
What are you gonna do when the season starts? Gonna keep posting vids and taping games?

****wit made it clear that piracy, unless it is done by grandllama and given a home on the forum, is a clear violation of the rules and may be considered ban worthy.

I think you're mistaken and while I'm not asking that you kiss my ass I will ask you to either refer to me by my name or not address me at all.

Brock
04-26-2011, 11:37 AM

Yep, he's now an internet eunuch as well as a real life one.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 11:38 AM

You could have a poll showing 100% in favor of your argument and he won't concede. He is a bit of a stubborn mule at times.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:38 AM

Allow me to spell it out for you since you are evidently too ignorant to realize it yourself:

My first action after my return was to troll the fuck out of Royals fans. After that I sassed the mods, called Mary a slut, made a misogynistic post against women over a video game, posted up some big titties and some disgusting pictures, linked to WPI, insulted luv's weight and insinuated she was passing nude pictures of herself around the site. And I used lots of profanity.

And you think I've changed?

http://i51.tinypic.com/34s0brp.jpg

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Allow me to spell it out for you since you are evidently too ignorant to realize it yourself:

My first action after my return was to troll the **** out of Royals fans. After that I sassed the mods, called Mary a slut, made a misogynistic post against women over a video game, posted up some big titties and some disgusting pictures, linked to WPI, insulted luv's weight and insinuated she was passing nude pictures of herself around the site. And I used lots of profanity.

And weren't you given a correction after those, and now you are back?

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:41 AM
And weren't you given a correction after those, and now you are back?

So you are, indeed, retarded after all.

Saul Good
04-26-2011, 11:42 AM
You could have a poll showing 100% in favor of your argument and he won't concede. He is a bit of a stubborn mule at times.

He'll concede if a mod tells him to concede.

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Isn't that an accurate description of what transpired? You were given a ban that was rescinded, you showed up and did what you detailed above and were then banned again?

Saul Good
04-26-2011, 11:43 AM

My first action after my return was to troll the **** out of Royals fans. After that I sassed the mods, called Mary a slut, made a misogynistic post against women over a video game, posted up some big titties and some disgusting pictures, linked to WPI, insulted luv's weight and insinuated she was passing nude pictures of herself around the site. And I used lots of profanity.

http://i51.tinypic.com/34s0brp.jpg

Trolling a Royals thread? I take it back. He's still got it.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Isn't that an accurate description of what transpired? You were given a ban that was rescinded, you showed up and did what you detailed above and were then banned again?

LMAO

I was banned for filter evasion twice. That's all.

Then I came back and ran a "best of GoChiefs."

patteeu
Do you actually want the mods to police the forum? It seems to me the ability to report posts is a good way to ensure things don't get completely out of hand, while still allowing freedom and letting members feel like they're not being constantly monitored.

Yes, that means it's not black and white, but I think most people can handle that. There are fixed rules, they do apply to everyone, and there's been a lot of clarification over the past few weeks, then even more clarification for the denser crowd.

We aren't going to constantly babysit to catch every filter bypass or whatever. You're all adults. Don't make me turn this car around.

What would you do if you were casually viewing/posting in the "Judge nelson sides with players" thread and you came across a vicious use of a racial slur? Would you wait around until a complaint came in or would you enforce the clear, longtime rule we have against racial slurs? My guess is that you'd take unprompted action. There's no reason for you to let it go until you get a complaint.

On the other hand, let's say it's a barb involving sleeping with the target's mother? Except in extreme cases, I assume you'd just keep moving on because those kinds of things happen here with some regularity. That doesn't change when someone files a complaint or even if several complaints come in (maybe, for example, because the poster is particularly unpopular). Rather than jumping into action because you received a complaint about something you were originally going to ignore, you should stick to your original decision.

It's idiotic to conclude that I want more moderation. I want less. I just don't want the moderation threshold to change based on whether or not there is a complaint registered. If you didn't see it and a complaint comes in, then look at it and do whatever it is you would have done if you had seen it before the complaint was registered. If you did see it and a complaint comes in, don't change your decision based on the fact that there is now a complaint.

dirk digler

Your just figuring that out?

Donger
LMAO

I was banned for filter evasion twice. That's all.

Okay, that's good. I take it you won't be bypassing the filter again, correct?

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Your just figuring that out?

"You're"

Phobia

No. I think he's talking about doing all that stuff since he returned Sunday. If he did all that, I haven't really noticed. I did see the Royals trolling.

Donger
Then I came back and ran a "best of GoChiefs."

And then you were banned again after giving your best, correct?

dirk digler
04-26-2011, 11:46 AM
"You're"

Eat shit brit

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:47 AM
And then you were banned again after giving your best, correct?

No. This is Chiefsplanet, not Chiefs Coalition.

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Eat shit brit

LMAO

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:49 AM
No. This is Chiefsplanet, not Chiefs Coalition.

I'm aware of that. So, you aren't going to bypass the profanity filter again, right?

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Donger's new username: shitbrit

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm aware of that. So, you aren't going to bypass the profanity filter again, right?

Absolutely not. I had to wait almost a week to call the Virgin Mary a slut.

patteeu
04-26-2011, 11:51 AM
No, I really said what I meant. I don't think I've moderated a post or picture since I've been back unless there was a complaint attached to it. I spend time on this site for my own enjoyment. I don't love to swing my mod-stick around. I'd rather be interacting and enjoying the site. If I notice something way over the line I'll pro-actively resolve it but generally, if a post or an image isn't bothering anybody I won't waste my time correcting it. I feel this is the general attitude of the entire mod team.

Then the rules do change based on whether a complaint is lodged or not. If it's not enough of a violation to motivate you to act when you see it, then it shouldn't be enough of a violation to motivate you to act when some weak sister complains. Obviously, complaints are useful to bring your attention to something you haven't seen already, but even in those cases your decision should be consistent with what you'd do if you were the first observer (which in most cases, IMO, should be nothing).

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Absolutely not. I had to wait almost a week to call the Virgin Mary a slut.

Good. I'm glad to see that you can be trained through correction.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Good. I'm glad to see that you can be trained through correction.

Training me to stop evading the profanity filter is sort of like training you to stop posting about football. It only happens once in a great while and nobody gives a fuck when it does.

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Training me to stop evading the profanity filter is sort of like training you to stop posting about football. It only happens once in a great while and nobody gives a **** when it does.

I don't need to be trained to stop posting about football. You did need to be trained to not bypass the filter. And, again, I'm very proud of you that you're taking that training to heart and being a good boy.

:thumb:

Phobia
04-26-2011, 11:57 AM
What would you do if you were casually viewing/posting in the "Judge nelson sides with players" thread and you came across a vicious use of a racial slur? Would you wait around until a complaint came in or would you enforce the clear, longtime rule we have against racial slurs? My guess is that you'd take unprompted action. There's no reason for you to let it go until you get a complaint.

On the other hand, let's say it's a barb involving sleeping with the target's mother? Except in extreme cases, I assume you'd just keep moving on because those kinds of things happen here with some regularity. That doesn't change when someone files a complaint or even if several complaints come in (maybe, for example, because the poster is particularly unpopular). Rather than jumping into action because you received a complaint about something you were originally going to ignore, you should stick to your original decision.

It's idiotic to conclude that I want more moderation. I want less. I just don't want the moderation threshold to change based on whether or not there is a complaint registered. If you didn't see it and a complaint comes in, then look at it and do whatever it is you would have done if you had seen it before the complaint was registered. If you did see it and a complaint comes in, don't change your decision based on the fact that there is now a complaint.

I don't disagree with your assertion. However, you're assuming that everybody is on the same page when it comes to level of offensiveness. If one of our users is offended by something that does not offend me, I need to be sensitive to the fact that just because I'm not offended doesn't mean it's not offensive.

That said, we're not going to outlaw words that have been used as common venacular just because its politically correct to do so. "Retard" is a pretty good example of that. Use that word as much as you like but check and see what happens when it is used in a mean spirit towards somebody who is actually retarded or towards the family member of a member who is retarded.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 11:58 AM
You did need to be trained to not bypass the filter.

Because lord knows I had a long history of doing it constantly.

Donger
04-26-2011, 11:59 AM

I don't know whether you did or did not, and I don't see why that is relevant. What is relevant is you altering your behavior now.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 12:01 PM
I don't know whether you did or did not, and I don't see why that is relevant. What is relevant is you altering your behavior now.

In such a minor way that it's effectively irrelevant.

But you apparently don't get that, shitbrit.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Then the rules do change based on whether a complaint is lodged or not. If it's not enough of a violation to motivate you to act when you see it, then it shouldn't be enough of a violation to motivate you to act when some weak sister complains. Obviously, complaints are useful to bring your attention to something you haven't seen already, but even in those cases your decision should be consistent with what you'd do if you were the first observer (which in most cases, IMO, should be nothing).

The rules don't change. The likelihood that we will respond does. It's just like being a cop. If a cop is on the street and sees somebody speeding, he may or may not take action. If the cop is on the street and see's a dude kicking the crap out of a woman, said cop is probably going to intervene. If a cop is staked out in a speed trap and he gets a report that an armed robbery is going on, he's going to respond in kind. I think between Face, Bearcat and I we've done a consistent and accurate job of describing this to you.

Donger
04-26-2011, 12:04 PM

It's demonstrable evidence that you are capable of being controlled under the threat of more corrections. That's not irrelevant at all.

Besides that rather evident change in your behavior, I think it's pretty clear that you are more docile in general. Something which others have agreed, mind you.

Saul Good
04-26-2011, 12:05 PM

A dog that poops on the floor when his master leaves isn't doing it because he's a badass. He's doing it because he doesn't know how behave without structure. The dog would be much happier in a crate.

Its clear that you craved boundaries. Now that they have been put in place around you, you are free to thrive in your confined environment. Its plain to see that you are responding positively to your discipline.

pr_capone
04-26-2011, 12:07 PM

Careful now... we don't call people anything other than their user name.

http://www.maranausd.org/images/pages/N8053//welcome%20to%20kindergarten.jpg

Claynus
04-26-2011, 12:08 PM
I think it's pretty clear that you are more docile in general.

LMAO

Whatever you want to believe. It's nice to see that you certainly haven't changed. The next time you debate me you might want to actually realize all the evidence that destroys your position.

ChiTown
http://johnpaulgomez.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/internet_serious_mf_business.jpg

Saul Good

Your state of mind has been altered, and that's the important part. A dog doesn't need to wear the shock collar forever, only long enough to know where he should and should not go.

Run free, Clay. Just stay in your yard, and you will be safe and sound.

Donger
04-26-2011, 12:09 PM
LMAO

Whatever you want to believe. It's nice to see that you certainly haven't changed. The next time you debate me you might want to actually realize all the evidence that destroys your position.

This really wasn't a debate. It was more of a lecture.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 12:12 PM
I'm giggling at this shit now. You silly bastards.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 12:12 PM
http://johnpaulgomez.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/internet_serious_mf_business.jpg

This is close to filter evasion...watch it!

Donger
04-26-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm giggling at this shit now. You silly bastards.

Of course you are. Not unlike a dog which bares its teeth when it submits.

ChiTown
04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
This is close to filter evasion...watch it!

Go ph uck yourself.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Eat shit brit

Should be: "Eat shit, Brit."

Saul Good
04-26-2011, 12:19 PM
I don't expect to see Clay get banned again. He knows where the electric fence is. He'll show us that he's not afraid to stand really close to it without crossing it, and he'll be so proud, and we'll be so proud, and we won't get any more calls from the neighbors. Everybody wins with the new and improved Clay. He's a good boy.

ChiTown
04-26-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't expect to see Clay get banned again. He knows where theelectric fence is. He'll show us that he's not afraid to stand really close to it without crossing it, and he'll be so proud, and we'll be so proud, and we won't get any more calls from the neighbors. Everybody wins with the new and improved Clay. He's a good boy.

What happens when he starts to pee on said electric fence?

Donger
04-26-2011, 12:24 PM

Something like this:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6b-072VA4UA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saul Good
04-26-2011, 12:25 PM

If his past behavior is any indication, he'll get shocked, lick his wounds, and remember not to do that again.

He's like Eddie Murphy. They were both edgy and raw, hooked up with a tranny or two, and then reinvented themselves in a more PG style.

ChiTown
04-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Something like this:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6b-072VA4UA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Phobia
04-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Careful now... we don't call people anything other than their user name.

http://www.maranausd.org/images/pages/N8053//welcome%20to%20kindergarten.jpg

I've been very patient with you. I am aware that you do not like me. I'm okay with it. But I am not going to be your punching bag. If you continue, you will not be able to claim ignorance or whine that you were not warned.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 12:27 PM
I don't expect to see Clay get banned again.

Why would you? Before filtergate, I hadn't been banned for a very long time. In fact, the last ban I had was a self-ban because I was ashamed over the treatment of another member.

Besides, everyone knows banning me is ultimately futile. :evil:

patteeu
04-26-2011, 12:27 PM
The rules don't change. The likelihood that we will respond does. It's just like being a cop. If a cop is on the street and sees somebody speeding, he may or may not take action. If the cop is on the street and see's a dude kicking the crap out of a woman, said cop is probably going to intervene. If a cop is staked out in a speed trap and he gets a report that an armed robbery is going on, he's going to respond in kind. I think between Face, Bearcat and I we've done a consistent and accurate job of describing this to you.

The cop analogy doesn't really cover the scenario I described.

Bearcat explained why it's hard for a mod to see everything, which was completely irrelevant to my point. That's a given and I don't have any desire for you guys to scour the site for offenses.

Both you and Bearcat have claimed that the rules don't change despite explaining why enforcement is unpredictably inconsistent. Fixed rules are meaningless if enforcement varies depending on presence or absence of complaints, identity of offender/complainer, or whim of the moderator.

IMO, a healthy dose of reluctance to moderate even when a complaint is lodged would go a long way.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 12:28 PM
He's like Eddie Murphy. They were both edgy and raw, hooked up with a tranny or two, and then reinvented themselves in a more PG style.

"Lack of pussy make you brave, man!"

Donger
04-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Why would you? Before filtergate, hadn't been banned for a very long time. In fact, the last ban I had was a self-ban because I was ashamed over the treatment of another member.

Why is it futile?

Saul Good
04-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Why would you? Before filtergate, hadn't been banned for a very long time. In fact, the last ban I had was a self-ban because I was ashamed over the treatment of another member.

Of course its futile. You know where the line is, and you've learned to embrace your side of it. Banning would serve no purpose.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Why is it futile?

Ask Eric Draven.

Donger
04-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Ask Eric Draven.

Is that one of your mults?

If so, I think that the mods could put you and all of your mults on universal ignore, right?

So, there are corrections that could render you completely without recourse. That isn't futile. You are here because you are allowed to be here. Just like the rest of us.

patteeu
04-26-2011, 12:35 PM
I've been very patient with you. I am aware that you do not like me. I'm okay with it. But I am not going to be your punching bag. If you continue, you will not be able to claim ignorance or whine that you were not warned.

Why can't you just ignore him like any other user would have to do if he was poking at us? You're a good guy. You've got a great sense of humor and you're a key member of this messageboard. I don't remember you ever having ModEgo when you were running this place (before WPI). Please don't let yourself go that route now. FWIW, even though I've been critical the past few weeks and you've made it clear that you don't take me seriously anymore, I still like you.

Saul Good
04-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Why can't you just ignore him like any other user would have to do if he was poking at us? You're a good guy. You've got a great sense of humor and you're a key member of this messageboard. I don't remember you ever having ModEgo when you were running this place (before WPI). Please don't let yourself go that route now. FWIW, even though I've been critical the past few weeks and you've made it clear that you don't take me seriously anymore, I still like you.

Exactly. There's a tubbly little ginger going around and nipping at my heels, but I've never given him an infraction nor even a neg rep. How is pr's behavior so eggregious as to warrant even a warning?

Claynus
04-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Is that one of your mults?

If so, I think that the mods could put you and all of your mults on universal ignore, right?

So, there are corrections that could render you completely without recourse. That isn't futile. You are here because you are allowed to be here. Just like the rest of us.

Your ignorance is showing once again, mon capitan.

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/sleepingwellp1.gif

Donger
04-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Your ignorance is showing once again, mon capitan.

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/sleepingwellp1.gif

What am I ignorant about? That Eric Draven is one of your mults? That the mods could put you and your mults on universal ignore?

pr_capone
04-26-2011, 12:41 PM

What am I being warned about? Calling you a name or mocking you? Or both?

I understand you are a moderator here, but that doesn't mean that every knee has to bend to you. You are right. I don't like you. That means that I will play within every rule set by CP, even if it is enforced by you. I don't have to respect you as a person to do that.

So yes, you are Fuckwit Phil to me. Why am I not surprised there would be a threat of mod enforcement when I did nothing to violate the rules? I only took a jab at the weak man behind the Mod badge.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 12:42 PM
The cop analogy doesn't really cover the scenario I described.

Bearcat explained why it's hard for a mod to see everything, which was completely irrelevant to my point. That's a given and I don't have any desire for you guys to scour the site for offenses.

Both you and Bearcat have claimed that the rules don't change despite explaining why enforcement is unpredictably inconsistent. Fixed rules are meaningless if enforcement varies depending on presence or absence of complaints, identity of offender/complainer, or whim of the moderator.

IMO, a healthy dose of reluctance to moderate even when a complaint is lodged would go a long way.

I think that the leadership team and the owner of the site are pretty comfortable with the current strategy. It's evolved over a decade and while our systems aren't perfect and our personnel are also not perfect, this system involves a healthy balance of democracy and those who have been entrusted to be in power. Every rule put in place on this site is a result of community input. Every person on the leadership team is as a result of community input. I don't have a problem with your suggestions and I think they have merit. But I also don't think our team is going to become a flow-chart mod team. I think that's asking a little too much. But I could be wrong. I'm just unconvinced that there is anything wrong with this system. Even if we had a flow-chart detailing every single action we take, the same half dozen people would be whining after every single moderator action. It's just one of those things. We can't please everybody and we know that.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
What am I ignorant about?

Just read this thread. You have been ignorant since the beginning.

Just Passin' By
04-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Exactly. There's a tubbly little going around and nipping at my heels, but I've never given him an infraction nor even a neg rep. How is pr's behavior so eggregious as to warrant even a warning?

Let PR pull the same shit with Bob Dole and let's watch what happens.

pr_capone
04-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Let PR pull the same shit with Bob Dole and let's watch what happens.

That is the point. I wouldn't pull that with Dole. Not because he is a mod... but because the guy is someone I respect.

Donger
04-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Just read this thread. You have been ignorant since the beginning.

Oh. No, I have been entirely accurate. You've already admitted that your behavior has changed as a result of correction.

I'm surprised that you'd try that again, honestly.

So, what does Eric Draven have to do with anything? I take it that you mention that user name because it is one of your mults and that it is an example of the futility of banning you, right?

Royal Fanatic
04-26-2011, 12:48 PM

I think Patteeu should be a moderator.

Just Passin' By
04-26-2011, 12:53 PM
That is the point. I wouldn't pull that with Dole. Not because he is a mod... but because the guy is someone I respect.

You wouldn't pull this bullshit with Dole because he'd have banned your ass right about the time of your second post. You're taking advantage of Phobia's defensiveness on an issue that is of your manufacturing. If you hadn't been an asshole in the first place, none of this shit would have happened.

Blaming Phobia is just a pathetic attempt at misdirection on your part.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Oh. No, I have been entirely accurate.

You obtuse piece of flotsam!

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10700000/Q-Judge-q-star-trek-10759421-694-530.jpg

Phobia
04-26-2011, 12:56 PM

You got your panties in a wad because you didn't understand how the infraction system worked. You were embarrassed because I took action based on your report. But because you were the catalyst, you're embarrassed and you're taking it out on me.

I gave you an out. I encouraged you to retract your complaint. You did. I unbanned Clay. Then Clay earned a more legitimate ban through poor judgment thereafter.

I understand you think I threw you under the bus. I disagree but either way, I'm okay with it.

I am going to take some good advice henceforth. You do whatever it is you need to do to feel better about the whole situation. I will not be seeing your responses. When you're over the whole thing and ready to move on, let me know.

Royal Fanatic
04-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Why would you? Before filtergate, I hadn't been banned for a very long time. In fact, the last ban I had was a self-ban because I was ashamed over the treatment of another member.

An IP address ban would not be futile. While it's certainly possible to get around such a ban by changing ISPs, going through an anonymizer, or logging in through your neighbor's unprotected wireless network, it would make it far more difficult for you to access the site.

The point is that if you are determined to piss off the guys who run a forum, they CAN keep you away.

Donger
04-26-2011, 12:57 PM
You obtuse piece of flotsam!

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10700000/Q-Judge-q-star-trek-10759421-694-530.jpg

Wow. You really have been neutered, haven't you. You brought up the futility of banning you. Why do you lack the balls to explain?

dirk digler
04-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Why is it futile?

Ask Tom

Claynus
04-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Why do you lack the balls to explain?

Why do you lack the brain to comprehend?

Donger
04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Ask Tom

But it isn't futility. It's moderator kindness. Futility implies that there is nothing the mods can do to prevent anyone (in this case GoChiefs) from re-appearing here after a ban. I don't believe that is accurate.

GoChiefs, and everyone else here, is here because they mods allow it. If I'm mistake in that belief, please explain how I'm incorrect.

Donger
04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Why do you lack the brain to comprehend?

Comprehend what?

Brock
04-26-2011, 01:02 PM
But it isn't futility. It's moderator kindness. Futility implies that there is nothing the mods can do to prevent anyone (in this case GoChiefs) from re-appearing here after a ban. I don't believe that is accurate.

GoChiefs, and everyone else here, is here because they mods allow it. If I'm mistake in that belief, please explain how I'm incorrect.

How would the mods keep him out?

Al Bundy
04-26-2011, 01:02 PM
This turned into a "See who can be a bigger douche thread!"

Donger
04-26-2011, 01:03 PM

Immediate ban of a newly registered mult or existing mult account? Or, just a universal banning of the above. I fully admit that I don't have any experience with banning or mults, but it seems reasonable to assume it could be done.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Comprehend what?

My endless love.

Donger
04-26-2011, 01:06 PM
My endless love.

Don't tuck your tail and run now, GoChiefs. Why would banning you be futile?

pr_capone
04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
You wouldn't pull this bullshit with Dole because he'd have banned your ass right about the time of your second post. You're taking advantage of Phobia's defensiveness on an issue that is of your manufacturing. If you hadn't been an asshole in the first place, none of this shit would have happened.

Blaming Phobia is just a pathetic attempt at misdirection on your part.

No, I wouldn't put this on Dole because the guy has never given me reason to.

As for the rest of it, you are talking out your ass. He drug me into this when he stated that part of his reason for nuking Goat was because of the religion comments. Yeah, I pinged Goat for language bypass. Had he nuked Goat for bypassing of the swearing filter I would not have said dick.

The way I see it... he had to do list when he was made mod and fuck with Goat was as the top of it. First opportunity he had he blasted with both cannons.

I've gone a while now without saying booo to him or about him. I'm certainly not picking on the poor widdle mod.

Brock
04-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Immediate ban of a newly registered mult or existing mult account? Or, just a universal banning of the above. I fully admit that I don't have any experience with banning or mults, but it seems reasonable to assume it could be done.

You seem to think the mods have nothing better to do than to monitor him. This battle was fought and lost years ago.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 01:08 PM
Don't tuck your tail and run now, GoChiefs. Why would banning you be futile?

Because I want to share all my love with you. No one else will do.

DaFace
04-26-2011, 01:09 PM

The problem is identifying a true mult. We've got better systems in place now than we used to, but it's still not an exact science.

What it comes down to is that someone who really wants to get around a ban usually can, but their level of effort to do so is greatly higher than the effort it takes to ban someone once they're found.

Donger
04-26-2011, 01:09 PM
You seem to think the mods have nothing better to do than to monitor him. This battle was fought and lost years ago.

It's not like he's hard to find. If the mods can do what I mention above, it's pretty clear that he's here at their discretion, not his. That's hardly futility.

Saul Good
04-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Look at Clay. He's standing near the electric fence and talking about how it doesn't keep him in the yard, but if you need him, he'll be in his yard. Its totally not because of the fence, though. He plays by his own rules. Fortunately for the rest of us, his rules happen to mirror the board's rules.

Donger
04-26-2011, 01:12 PM
The problem is identifying a true mult. We've got better systems in place now than we used to, but it's still not an exact science.

What it comes down to is that someone who really wants to get around a ban usually can, but their level of effort to do so is greatly higher than the effort it takes to ban someone once they're found.

I see. Thank you for the explanation. It's a pity that it even has to be addressed.

Royal Fanatic
04-26-2011, 01:13 PM
They could ban his IP address. Even though your IP address is dynamically assigned by your ISP, it actually changes very rarely.

An IP Address ban is not done within the vBulletin software itself. It is a change to the server's TCP/IP configuration. Another way to do it is to create a firewall rule that drops all traffic from a specific IP address.

Anyone who insists they cannot be banned is incorrect. A motivated systems admin CAN keep anyone out.

ChiTown
Is the "word" Phuck not allowed anymore? Really?

crazycoffey
This is a good point. But if an admin resets a password and you can't get in, you know something is fishy.

A much older version of vBull used to display the current password for users. Which is why is was very stupid for people from Pennsylvania to sign up for this site using the very same password they used for their own website and then screw around with us.
LMAO

Just Passin' By
04-26-2011, 01:15 PM
No, I wouldn't put this on Dole because the guy has never given me reason to.

As for the rest of it, you are talking out your ass. He drug me into this when he stated that part of his reason for nuking Goat was because of the religion comments. Yeah, I pinged Goat for language bypass. Had he nuked Goat for bypassing of the swearing filter I would not have said dick.

The way I see it... he had to do list when he was made mod and fuck with Goat was as the top of it. First opportunity he had he blasted with both cannons.

I've gone a while now without saying booo to him or about him. I'm certainly not picking on the poor widdle mod.

No, he didn't drag you in to anything. This was on you, 100%. If you didn't have a problem with Clay's post, you shouldn't have pinged it. If you had a problem with it, you should be happy it was dealt with. Either way, it's a result of your action. Quit being a whining little prick about it and move on.

Fried Meat Ball!
04-26-2011, 01:17 PM

No, it's relatively simple to get around the bans, IP or otherwise. It doesn't take a lot of effort.

Aside from the fact that I'm rarely a massive jerkoff, I find it simpler to just play by the rules.

Brock
04-26-2011, 01:19 PM
They could ban his IP address. Even though your IP address is dynamically assigned by your ISP, it actually changes very rarely.

An IP Address ban is not done within the vBulletin software itself. It is a change to the server's TCP/IP configuration. Another way to do it is to create a firewall rule that drops all traffic from a specific IP address.

Anyone who insists they cannot be banned is incorrect. A motivated systems admin CAN keep anyone out.

Yeah, thanks for the explanation, but anyone with an AOL account can circumvent a ban easily. Not to mention that losers like gochiefs are probably well versed in proxies and things like that.

It's not nearly as easy as you seem to think.

DaFace

Not that it matters, but the bolded part is false. And the problem with IP bans on a dynamic IP is that there's a decent chance that some other innocent user will eventually find themselves banned accidentally. We actually had that happen pretty recently.

Donger
No, it's relatively simple to get around the bans, IP or otherwise. It doesn't take a lot of effort.

Aside from the fact that I'm rarely a massive jerkoff, I find it simpler to just play by the rules.

It's moderately pathetic that one would even try.

pr_capone
04-26-2011, 01:21 PM
No, he didn't drag you in to anything. This was on you, 100%. If you didn't have a problem with Clay's post, you shouldn't have pinged it. If you had a problem with it, you should be happy it was dealt with. Either way, it's a result of your action. Quit being a whining little prick about it and move on.

Thanks for playing.

DaFace
04-26-2011, 01:21 PM

ChiefsPlanet's like crack to some people.

Donger
04-26-2011, 01:22 PM
ChiefsPlanet's like crack to some people.

What about universal ignore? That would render any identified account impotent, right?

Fried Meat Ball!
04-26-2011, 01:23 PM

No argument from me.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Is the "word" fuck not allowed anymore? Really?

It's allowed. Just spell it correctly so filters can grab it.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 01:26 PM

When I had my IP banned, ArrowheadPride wasn't around, Warpaint sucked and Chiefs Coalition had almost no traffic.

I guess my addiction to the Chiefs is pathetic, though, so I got around the IP ban.

Saulbadguy
04-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Is the "word" Phuck not allowed anymore? Really?

Reported.

Donger
04-26-2011, 01:27 PM
I guess my addiction to the Chiefs is pathetic, though, so I got around the IP ban.

Yes, it is. I take it you would not like being ignored by everyone?

Phobia
04-26-2011, 01:27 PM

Who cares either way? He was given an opportunity to withdraw the complaint. He did. That fixed everything until Clay came back. Dude is whining about the last reason I listed when the first two stood alone. As stated several times through this thread, lots of people just like to complain. If there weren't something to complain about they wouldn't know what to do with themselves. It's always the same people. Always. In fact, there's a thread joking about the same cast of characters in the mod lounge. We can predict with 70% certainty who will show up on these types of threads. It's beyond hilarious.

TrebMaxx
04-26-2011, 01:29 PM

OK Luv. I think the shit is stirred. :p

Claynus
04-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Imagine if you frequented a really great restaurant where they served the best food you had ever tasted. One night you got really drunk and they ended up throwing you out and putting you on the no serve list.

Putting on a disguise to get back in and eat? Not a problem at all. In fact, it would be fun as hell. It would literally make the experience even more pleasurable.

Now imagine if the waitresses were walking around nude...

Saulbadguy
04-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Who cares either way? He was given an opportunity to withdraw the complaint. He did. That fixed everything until Clay came back. Dude is whining about the last reason I listed when the first two stood alone. As stated several times through this thread, lots of people just like to complain. If there weren't something to complain about they wouldn't know what to do with themselves. It's always the same people. Always. In fact, there's a thread joking about the same cast of characters in the mod lounge. We can predict with 70% certainty who will show up on these types of threads. It's beyond hilarious.
70% certainty isn't that great, IMO.

Hays
04-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Luv definitely started it this time

Donger
Imagine if you frequented a really great restaurant where they served the best food you had ever tasted. One night you got really drunk and they ended up throwing you out and putting you on the no serve list.

Putting on a disguise to get back in and eat? Not a problem at all. In fact, it would be fun as hell. It would literally make the experience even more pleasurable.

Now imagine if the waitresses were walking around nude...

You aren't in disguise.

Royal Fanatic
Not that it matters, but the bolded part is false. And the problem with IP bans on a dynamic IP is that there's a decent chance that some other innocent user will eventually find themselves banned accidentally. We actually had that happen pretty recently.
It's been several years since I've touched vBulletin. I'm glad to hear that it's a part of the product now. Heck, maybe it was always there but the admins at the site I was at chose to do it differently.

I agree that an IP ban is like using a hand grenade to swat flies and should only be used when a user becomes really obnoxious and refuses to go away. GoChiefs/Clay/whatever obviously hasn't hasn't crossed that line.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 01:33 PM
You aren't in disguise.

Still not comprehending, I see.

DaFace
04-26-2011, 01:33 PM
It's been several years since I've touched vBulletin. I'm glad to hear that it's a part of the product now. Heck, maybe it was always there but the admins at the site I was at chose to do it differently.

I agree that an IP ban is like using a hand grenade to swat flies and should only be used when a user becomes really obnoxious and refuses to go away. GoChiefs/Clay/whatever obviously hasn't hasn't crossed that line.

It's in a slightly different area, so maybe that's why you hadn't seen it. If you ever mess with vB again, it's in vB Options under Banning Settings (or something like that) rather than the "normal" ban system.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 01:35 PM

The 30% factor is actually because sometimes saulbadguy throws us a curve.

Donger
04-26-2011, 01:36 PM

Exactly. Even people like GoChiefs who are openly thumbing their nose at the mods by claiming that banning them is futile are not recognizing the fact that they're only here because the mods allow them to be. Can he get back in? Sure, it seems that's the case. But once identified, the mods could ban immediately.

So, GoChiefs, why not show a little respect for your masters? Maybe even thank them for their leniency?

ChiTown
04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
It's allowed. Just spell it correctly so filters can grab it.

Well, if the filters are set to grab it, then it's not allowed, correct?

Donger
04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Still not comprehending, I see.

I see fine. You can come back in whenever you want.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Well, if the filters are set to grab it, then it's not allowed, correct?

Filters are opt-out capable and entirely individual configurable. So, it's allowed.

Saulbadguy
04-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Exactly. Even people like GoChiefs who are openly thumbing their nose at the mods by claiming that banning them is futile are not recognizing the fact that they're only here because the mods allow them to be. Can he get back in? Sure, it seems that's the case. But once identified, the mods could ban immediately.

So, GoChiefs, why not show a little respect for your masters? Maybe even thank them for their leniency?

You don't understand the internet/bbsing.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 01:41 PM

Maybe you should attempt to not take everything so seriously.

pr_capone
04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Who cares either way? He was given an opportunity to withdraw the complaint. He did. That fixed everything until Clay came back.

Had no problem with the second banning. Thought the first one was excessive. Said it in the first thread, said it in the second thread, saying it again.

Dude is whining about the last reason I listed when the first two stood alone.

That is where you brought me into it. How can it possibly not make sense to you that this is the point where I would have a sticking point? You are coming from the point that I'm somehow trying to defend Goat despite my telling you otherwise repeatedly.

As stated several times through this thread, lots of people just like to complain. If there weren't something to complain about they wouldn't know what to do with themselves. It's always the same people. Always. In fact, there's a thread joking about the same cast of characters in the mod lounge. We can predict with 70% certainty who will show up on these types of threads. It's beyond hilarious.

Where exactly have I complained about the moderation of this board outside of something to do with you?

ChiTown
04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Filters are opt-out capable and entirely individual configurable. So, it's allowed.

10-4, thanks

Donger
04-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Maybe you should attempt to not take everything so seriously.

I'm not the one altering my behavior after correction. I'd say that assigns you a level of seriousness regarding being here well above mine, GoChiefs.

Saulbadguy
04-26-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm not the one altering my behavior after correction. I'd say that assigns you a level of seriousness regarding being here well above mine, GoChiefs.

Did you continue to post political articles in the Lounge after the DC forum was created?

Donger
04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Did you continue to post political articles in the Lounge after the DC forum was created?

I don't believe so, no.

Claynus
04-26-2011, 01:47 PM

You must answer in the form of a walrus.

Just Passin' By
04-26-2011, 02:08 PM

I understand your point. I just find it amusing, sad and pathetic that he's so completely transferred his butthurt to you. As I posted earlier, IMO, he'd probably have lasted about 2 posts if he'd pulled this shit with Bob Dole. Frankly, I think one of the other mods should ban his ass for a while, even if it's just for a couple of hours, just so he'll get the point.

Then again, I'm not mod material. I admire that y'all are willing to put up with this sort of shit, even after it's been explained so many times that you must read the typing in your sleep. I'd be handing out vacations as if they were candy on Halloween.

Phobia
04-26-2011, 02:10 PM
I understand your point. I just find if amusing, sad and pathetic that he's so completely transferred his butthurt to you. As I posted earlier, IMO, he'd probably have lasted about 2 posts if he'd pulled this shit with Bob Dole. Frankly, I think one of the other mods should ban his ass for a while, just so he'll get the point.

Bah - when he grows a man-beard all this will be a pathetic after-thought.

MOhillbilly
04-26-2011, 02:16 PM
I never liked mods. Ghey suits & scooters, tryin to look hard. Fuckin soft girls if ya ask me.

Frazod
04-26-2011, 02:21 PM
So, is this one going to hit 1,000 posts? :D

Claynus
04-26-2011, 02:23 PM
So, is this one going to hit 1,000 posts? :D

They only hit 1,000 if I'm banned and logged into all of my mults on different browsers simultaneously, defending myself.

FishingRod
04-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Power?

They have been given dominion over all except that which is yellow.

Which is why I always carry a bag of pee.

Buck
04-26-2011, 03:33 PM
My endless love.

I listened to this on the jukebox at a dive bar last night and I asked them if they could dim the lights while it played and they did. It was epic.

Bwana
04-26-2011, 03:41 PM

He said 70%, I would go with at least 90, if not 95%.