PDA

View Full Version : MMQB... There's a Deal on the Table

Coogs
04-26-2011, 10:06 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/24/mmqb/1.html

1. There's a team in the draft that has a deal on the table -- I'm guessing New England (surprise!) -- with a team trying to come back into the first round. The deal will net the team dealing the first-rounder the following: a second-round pick in 2011 and a first-round pick in 2012. The deal, I hear, is contingent on the player the trade-up team wants still being there. Could it be Tennessee trading into the bottom of the first round, at 28, to get Jake Locker or Andy Dalton? Stay tuned.

Wouldn't mind if this is us instead of New England. I'm still open to several options at #21, and this is one of them.

Von Dumbass
04-26-2011, 10:15 AM
A little blurb about Phil Taylor was in there too.

Phil Taylor's foot is OK. I'm writing about Taylor, the most interesting nose tackle prospect in the draft (interesting because he can play the three-technique too, not just the burlier nose job), in tomorrow's column, but I wanted to give you these two tidbits: He wasn't asked to return to Indianapolis for the medical re-check on his foot, as many players are when they have lingering health issues before the draft. He had his foot X-rayed again by the 49ers on a recent visit, and he told me the 49ers team doctor told him there was nothing wrong with his foot long-term. More about Taylor, and his prognosis at the bottom of round one, in Tuesday's column.

OnTheWarpath58
04-26-2011, 10:24 AM
I gotta think the team in question is Buffalo.

They'll grab Von Miller at #3 and then try to trade up to get Ponder late in R1.

I can't see them making that deal with a division rival, though.

Pestilence
04-26-2011, 10:53 AM

They'll grab Von Miller at #3 and then try to trade up to get Ponder late in R1.

This.

I'd rather have them trade with us....but that's just me.

milkman
04-26-2011, 10:57 AM
To this point, I have seen nothing from Scott Pioli to make me feel he can get any deal done to move down in the draft.

OnTheWarpath58
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Not to mention, Tennessee would have to be retarded to use a 2012 R1 pick to move up so few spots. It's like a 160 point difference on the value chart.

160 points equals a late 2nd round pick.

Pestilence
04-26-2011, 11:01 AM
I think it's either the Bills or the Bengals.

OnTheWarpath58
04-26-2011, 11:02 AM
To this point, I have seen nothing from Scott Pioli to make me feel he can get any deal done to move down in the draft.

I agree.

When he was in NE, they were always wheeling and dealing.

Since he's left, they are still wheeling and dealing.

Gotta think BB was the driving force behind all of that.

This is one draft that I'd be perfectly fine with moving back for the right price, however. Don't see it happening though.

BigCatDaddy
04-26-2011, 11:02 AM

When drafting in the top 5 it's damn tough to move down and I really didn't want them to last year anyways.

milkman
04-26-2011, 11:04 AM
When drafting in the top 5 it's damn tough to move down and I really didn't want them to last year anyways.

But where are those moves in the second round?

The third round?

We've seen he can move up, but so far, he hasn't shown that he can make a deal happen to move down.

OnTheWarpath58
04-26-2011, 11:05 AM

It's only tough if you're stubborn and want full value.

We would have been well served to take just about any offer in 2009, trade back a few spots, even for as little as a 3rd and taken Raji.

But Pioli had a hard on for Jackson. End of story.

Dante84
04-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Could be Arizona trying to get Ponder.

Bewbies
04-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Considering how bad Buffalo is, I would LOVE this. (saying they'd be moving with us)

DeezNutz
04-26-2011, 11:06 AM
If it were NE or Buffalo, I'd take that proposed deal yesterday. We might well be looking at two top-10 picks in '12 (which the organization might view as a negative, actually).

DaKCMan AP
04-26-2011, 11:08 AM

Why? Those two teams did it with Bledsoe. Pats have dealt within the division on other occasions (see Wes Welker).

milkman
04-26-2011, 11:08 AM
It's only tough if you're stubborn and want full value.

We would have been well served to take just about any offer in 2009, trade back a few spots, even for as little as a 3rd and taken Raji.

But Pioli had a hard on for Jackson. End of story.

Hell, we would have been better served simply to take Raji.

.....sigh...............

BigCatDaddy
04-26-2011, 11:09 AM
But where are those moves in the second round?

The third round?

We've seen he can move up, but so far, he hasn't shown that he can make a deal happen to move down.

No 2nd round pick in 09 and who knows if they had anyone wanting to move up last year for those picks.

I'll give him more then 2 years before laying judgement on his drafting abilities. So far as far as I'm concerned he has 1 draft looking like and F and 1 looking like an A-to B+ range.

OnTheWarpath58
04-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Why? Those two teams did it with Bledsoe. Pats have dealt within the division on other occasions (see Wes Welker).

How many coaches has Buffalo gone through since those deals?

It's JMO, but I don't think Gailey is going to want to give even more ammo to BB. Especially when he can likely make that deal with anyone from 20 down.

BigCatDaddy

.....sigh...............

Or about anyone else.

OnTheWarpath58

.....sigh...............

LMAO

SNR
04-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Why do teams still trade with the Patriots? They've made so many deals that it doesn't seem to matter what they do. The deal is almost always guaranteed to benefit the Patriots more than the other team.

I'd gladly like to see us take that deal to move back into the 2nd round and pick up some extra help this year AND a first rounder next year. And that's at 21 overall, not 28.

milkman
04-26-2011, 11:16 AM
No 2nd round pick in 09 and who knows if they had anyone wanting to move up last year for those picks.

I'll give him more then 2 years before laying judgement on his drafting abilities. So far as far as I'm concerned he has 1 draft looking like and F and 1 looking like an A-to B+ range.

I'm not sold on last year's draft yet.

Berry and Moeaki are keepers, though I still think Jimmy Graham will be every bit as good as Moeaki over the long term, and that trade was unnecessary.

All the other picks still have a long way to go before I'm satisfied that they were good picks, especially McNuggett and Arenas.

SNR
04-26-2011, 11:18 AM

Berry and Moeaki are keepers, though I still think Jimmy Graham will be every bit as good as Moeaki over the long term, and that trade was unnecessary.

All the other picks still have a long way to go before I'm satisfied that they were good picks, especially McNuggett and Arenas.Are you kidding? We got an all-pro starting LT and a safety who's better than Eric Berry. /Sac

the Talking Can
04-26-2011, 11:19 AM
we never get that kind of deal....waaaaaaaaaaaaaahh

BigCatDaddy
04-26-2011, 11:19 AM

All the other picks still have a long way to go before I'm satisfied that they were good picks, especially McNuggett and Arenas.

I agree, but I'm anticipating Asamoah doing a good job at G for many years to come.

I think Arenas was really much better then he was given credit for last year. Having someone to cover the slot is huge in the NFL today and he did a solid job.

Coogs
04-26-2011, 11:44 AM
From this thread...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244005&highlight=Pioli

Q: So if thereís a stud guy there at the same position that you donít have valued as high but the guy keeps falling and you really donít need that as much as you need position B, would you draft that guy because he is such a good player even though he doesnít fit what is your biggest need at that point?

PIOLI: ďI think thatís where it gets into strategy, where you have to think about, OK, you look at your roster and you start considering, whereís this roster going to be a year from now? Maybe it doesnít make sense to take a defensive lineman right now because you know we feel good about our defensive line, but there may be in the long term, a year from now, those things might be very different. I guess itís not black or white. I think you have to evaluate the situation, you have to evaluate ďcan I trade back?Ē Can you trade back and still get a good player and pick up additional value that will give you organizational currency or organizational value where you still get a good player by moving back but then youíre collecting picks for the future.Itís not like thereís a perfect formula, so to answer the question, theyíll be times we will do that and then thereíll be other times when we canít put enough value together for the total package to move back or to move up because sometimes what youíll do is youíll move up because thereís a player thatís getting close to you who you didnít think was there.Ē

Dante84
04-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Interesting he didnt mention up.

Although I would kill him if he did it for anyone but AJG

ChiefsCountry
04-26-2011, 11:56 AM

I'm fine with Arenas, not McMidget on the other hand was a wasted pick.

Coogs
04-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Interesting he didnt mention up.

Although I would kill him if he did it for anyone but AJG

He actually did talk about trading up right after the part I bolded.

Amnorix
04-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Chances the Pats deal the #28 pick or the #33 pick, or both, are only 99.9%...

Dante84
04-26-2011, 12:32 PM
He actually did talk about trading up right after the part I bolded.

I have no eyes.