PDA

View Full Version : While we wait...a chart on probowlers by round

the Talking Can
04-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Interesting article on draft...

http://busybeingborn.com/?p=105

"Undrafted" produced as many probowl players as any round but the first since 2000...just a hair less than the 2nd round, after which there is a steep drop off

http://busybeingborn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/pro_bowl.png

but it takes twice as long for undrafted players to reach a probowl vs 1st and 2nd rounders

http://busybeingborn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/draft_pos2.png

donkhater
04-26-2011, 01:35 PM
That's not surprising. There are literally hundreds more players that go undrafted than do. Given that drafting isn't really all that of an exact science, I can say that I'm not that surprised that a ton of undrafted players end up in the Pro Bowl.

milkman
04-26-2011, 01:39 PM
So, what you're saying is, we should trade all of our picks to get nothing but first rounders, and then sign as many street free agents as possible. right?

:D

the Talking Can
04-26-2011, 01:44 PM
So, what you're saying is, we should trade all of our picks to get nothing but first rounders, and then sign as many street free agents as possible. right?

:D

maybe!

doesn't seem to be any difference rounds 4-7

and people who argue 2nd round picks don't matter (ahem..hootie) well, you're wrong...there is more top tier talent in the 2nd than almost 4-7 combined..and as much as rounds 3-4 combined...you need to hit it in the 2nd

as noted, it's not too surprising given the volume of undrafted players...but it does nicely reinforce how important it is to "get picking" as soon as the draft is over...there are needles in that haystack

Count Alex's Losses
04-26-2011, 01:47 PM
I like that undrafted players buck the trend.

It's because they work harder.

Count Alex's Losses
04-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Look at the HUGE amount of PB offensive linemen from the undrafted pool.

It's almost as if you don't need to spend high picks on offensive linemen...

BigCatDaddy
04-26-2011, 01:51 PM

Saccapoo smash.

kcbubb
04-26-2011, 03:12 PM
hmmm... 6th round seems to be the same as 2nd round for QBs. That seems unlikely....

the Talking Can
04-26-2011, 03:21 PM
hmmm... 6th round seems to be the same as 2nd round for QBs. That seems unlikely....

not really...i think the point is that anything outside of the first, for QBs, is unlikely....

which is why our 20+ year plan of being afraid to draft a QB in the first is so brilliant...

Dayze
04-26-2011, 03:23 PM
not really...i think the point is that anything outside of the first, for QBs, is unlikely....

which is why our 20+ year plan of being afraid to draft a QB in the first is so brilliant...

:thumb:

Nightfyre
04-26-2011, 04:27 PM

Or because there are more of them...

Pasta Giant Meatball
04-26-2011, 04:43 PM

ROFL Imagine that. If only one individual here could get that through his/her head.

Saccopoo
04-26-2011, 05:26 PM
ROFL Imagine that. If only one individual here could get that through his/her head.

Considering that the offensive line has substantially more positions to cover in terms of pro bowl spots, one would have to guess that they would conversely have more players in rounds outside the first than the other positions.

However, it seems that the vast majority of them are first and second round picks, and are actually eclipsed numerically in the subsequent rounds by other positions, up until the UDFA slot (which isn't a drastically large difference in comparison to other positions such as running back, receiver and linebacker).

But since you are obviously functionally retarded, I imagine that you had some difficulties interpreting a simple bar graph.

DTLB58
04-27-2011, 01:33 AM
The Pro Bowl is really a useless honor to use for any gauge of success these days.
When the voting starts after week 8 and anyone with a computer is involved with the outcome, I'm really not sold on the results.

Bump
04-27-2011, 01:45 AM
a lot of talent goes unnoticed in smaller schools and there are way more players than draft slots.

-King-
04-27-2011, 02:41 AM

...or because there are more of them..

I mean...it's common sense.

RippedmyFlesh
04-27-2011, 02:52 AM
Special teams players throw this out of kilter a little. A lot of kickers are not drafted.