PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues Iran's president and supreme leader in rift over minister's reinstatement

Donger
04-28-2011, 11:52 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/27/iran-president-supreme-leader-rift

A rift is emerging between Iran's president and its supreme leader, prompting several members of the parliament to call for the impeachment of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who has not been seen in public for days.

Ahmadinejad has refused to appear at the presidential palace since Friday in what is being seen as a reaction to Ayatollah Khamenei's reinstating of a minister he initially "asked to resign".

Under pressure from Ahmadinejad the intelligence minister, Heydar Moslehi, a close ally of the supreme leader, stepped down on 17 April but was reinstated when Khamenei asked him in a letter to stay.

The president has not publicly shown his support for that decision and on Wednesday he refused for the second time to chair a cabinet meeting in which Moslehi was present. Ahmadinejad also reportedly cancelled an official visit to the holy city of Qom prompting reactions among conservatives that "the president was sulking".

Under Iran's constitution, the president is in charge of appointing cabinet ministers who will hold the ministerial office after the approval of the parliament but an unwritten law requires all officials to abide by the supreme leader.

Iran's opposition has speculated that Khamenei is worried about the increasing power of Ahmadinejad and especially his chief-of-staff Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei.

Khamenei is believed to be particularly concerned about two key positions in the cabinet, the ministry of foreign affairs and the intelligence ministry, where he traditionally has influence. Ahmadinejad's administration is also accused of losing billions of dollars of Iran's oil revenues in recent years.

Last December, Ahmadinejad sacked Manouchehr Mottaki without consulting Khamenei while the former foreign minister was in middle of an official visit to Africa. Mottaki was replaced by Ali Akbar Salehi, the former head of the country's atomic energy agency.

After the dismissal of Mottaki, Ahmadinejad's assertion of control over Iran's foreign policy became clear. By attempting to dismiss Moslehi, some analysts believe that Ahmadinejad is entering a new phase of extending his control over key positions in the run-up to the March 2012 parliamentary election.

Ahmadinejad enjoyed the full support of the supreme leader when Khamenei backed him in the disputed presidential elections in 2009. Independent commentators believe that Khamenei has realised "his mistake" by supporting a president who is seeking to surpass him.

Since the first signs of split emerged, several members of the Iranian parliament have called on Ahmadinejad to publicly support Khamenei's decision over Moslehi, a request he has so far declined. Some prominent figures in the powerful revolutionary guards have also asked the president to comply with the supreme leader.

On Tuesday, Parliament News, a website run by Iranian MPs reported that "the plan to impeach Ahmadinejad has begun" in the parliament, with 12 MPs asking for him to be summoned before them.

Conservatives believe that the increasing tension between Ahmadinejad and Khamenei stems from the growing influence of Mashaei, who is being groomed by Ahmadinejad as his possible successor.

Mashaei, whose daughter married Ahmadinejad's son, has become the most controversial figure in Iran, provoking harsh criticism from conservatives by favouring a greater cultural openness and opposing greater clerical involvement in the regime.

Mashaei, who champions a nationalist narrative of Iran's history, was himself forced to step down as Iran's first vice-president in July 2009 when Khamenei intervened in an unprecedented move and said in a letter that "the regime's expediency" required Mashaei to go. Ahmadinejad, to the surprise of many, then appointed Mashaei as his chief-of-staff instead.

Khamenei has tried to play down his confrontation with Ahmadinejad in recent days. In an official visit to the southern province of Fars last Saturday, he praised the achievements made by Ahmadinejad's government and told the crowd he only intervenes in the government's affairs when he feels that "the expediency is ignored". He added: "I won't allow as long as I'm alive, an iota of deviation of this massive movement of the nation."

BucEyedPea
04-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Who cares? You are obsessed by Persians, donger.

KILLER_CLOWN
04-28-2011, 12:31 PM

Well to be fair we don't seem to have any problems in America, better to worry about others when you can't keep your own house in order.

Donger
04-28-2011, 12:43 PM

Just those of us who don't pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist.

BucEyedPea
04-28-2011, 01:06 PM

You got that I think the world doesn't exist out of that? That's quite delusional.
Or could it be from your own paranoia or too much trust in the paranoid world view brought us by Kristol, Podhoretz and Co on Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya now? Do you recoil like the devil when you walk on a Persian carpet too?

ForeverChiefs58
04-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Here is hoping Ahmadinejad straps on a suicide vest and gives the supreme leader a big hug. :thumb:

BucEyedPea
04-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Here is hoping Ahmadinejad straps on a suicide vest and gives the supreme leader a big hug. :thumb:

The leaders never volunteer for that stuff. The drugged-up rabble made numb to human emotion and suffering do it.

ForeverChiefs58
04-28-2011, 01:49 PM
The leaders never volunteer for that stuff. The drugged-up rabble made numb to human emotion and suffering do it.

I find it funny when a leader calls for suicide bombers, that no one thinks "Hey, great idea leader, why don't you do it?"

ForeverChiefs58
04-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Do you recoil like the devil when you walk on a Persian carpet too?

Hey, Persian carpet was used in alladin to make a flying carpet ride. I want one.

They have some awesome rugs don't they? The price for them is a little steep, otherwise I would prob have one in every room.

Chocolate Hog
04-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Hey Donger do you think the rift will cause them to shoot nukes at eachother?

Saul Good
04-28-2011, 01:59 PM

Is there anything you won't bitch about?

Donger
04-28-2011, 02:15 PM
You got that I think the world doesn't exist out of that? That's quite delusional.
Or could it be from your own paranoia or too much trust in the paranoid world view brought us by Kristol, Podhoretz and Co on Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya now? Do you recoil like the devil when you walk on a Persian carpet too?

Afghanistan? What are you talking about? You don't support us going after AQ/Taliban in Afghanistan?

Donger
04-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Pssst. She's a chick.

Chocolate Hog
04-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Pssst. She's a chick.

Lets wait til we see a pair of tits.

Donger
04-28-2011, 02:23 PM

I'll pass, thanks.

mlyonsd
04-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Under Iran's constitution, the president is in charge of appointing cabinet ministers who will hold the ministerial office after the approval of the parliament but an unwritten law requires all officials to abide by the supreme leader.ROFL

blaise
04-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Maybe we should award Obama another Nobel Prize and see what happens.

BucEyedPea
04-28-2011, 03:03 PM
What are you bitching about? Bitching? This is a political forum sir. It's about argument. Not as in a fight with a friend but as in disagreeing points of view.

To answer your question though: Yes, Ron Paul, the Birther thing, the Constitution, Madison, Jefferson, religion, freedom, limited govt. I post plenty where I agree with folks. Other than that we've got a lot of serious problems in this country to bitch about. ( which you bitch about too) I just don't think this is our business. Besides donger gives me a hard time at times so I like doing it when donger is obsessed with Persians.

Donger
04-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Besides donger gives me a hard time at times

You wish.

Donger
ROFL

Yeah, that's moderately pathetic, isn't it?

BucEyedPea
Afghanistan? What are you talking about? You don't support us going after AQ/Taliban in Afghanistan?

You should know better by now. Check the archive and use the search. I know you didn't miss those though.

BucEyedPea
04-28-2011, 03:07 PM
You wish.

I admit only to adoring British men in general.

BucEyedPea
04-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Pssst. She's a chick.

You're True Brit who got tossed out by the Persians. I understand how you feel now. ;):p

Donger
04-28-2011, 03:11 PM
You should know better by now. Check the archive and use the search. I know you didn't miss those though.

I don't remember, and I don't care enough to look it up.

ForeverChiefs58
04-28-2011, 03:13 PM

Here ya go.
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0807/tits-blue-tits-pair-demotivational-poster-1216939428.jpg

BucEyedPea
04-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't remember, and I don't care enough to look it up.

Okay then. Don't ask me again when I posted many times, including to you that the Taliban is not our enemy. We've argued it many times before. It's mission creep to justify staying there. Wars are rarely fought for the stated reasons.

BucEyedPea
04-28-2011, 03:19 PM

I'll show you mine if you show me yours—first! LMAO

Donger
04-28-2011, 03:24 PM
I admit only to adoring British men in general.

LMAO

BucEyedPea
04-28-2011, 03:33 PM
LMAO

It wasn't my intention to make your nervous. :doh!:

Donger
04-28-2011, 03:34 PM
It wasn't my intention to make your nervous. :doh!:

I'm not nervous. I was laughing because my wife says the same thing.

mlyonsd
04-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah, that's moderately pathetic, isn't it?

Other unwritten laws they're working on.

Never launch a preemptive nuclear strike, unless first authorized by the supreme leader. ROFL

go bowe
04-28-2011, 04:44 PM
you have to give some credit to i'manutjob for having the balls to stand up to the supreme leader about anything...

BucEyedPea
04-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm not nervous. I was laughing because my wife says the same thing.

So now you're sayin' we're made for each other? That's bold. :hmmm:

Donger
04-28-2011, 04:53 PM
So now you're sayin' we're made for each other? That's bold. :hmmm:

:spock:

Amnorix
04-28-2011, 05:01 PM

You really seem to have lost control of this situation for once...

ROFL

Donger
04-28-2011, 05:03 PM
You really seem to have lost control of this situation for once...

ROFL

What can I say? I've got a weak spot for Italian broads with big tits and small IQs.

BucEyedPea
04-28-2011, 05:03 PM

LMAO

Well, there's that and I'm Italian like your wife. I didn't know your wife had a low IQ. Sorry to hear.

Pants
04-28-2011, 05:12 PM
BEP has a crush on Donger, it's so cute.

vailpass
04-28-2011, 05:16 PM
What can I say? I've got a weak spot for Italian broads with big tits and small IQs.

Who doesn't?