PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft This was genius.

Direckshun
04-28-2011, 10:14 PM
The Chiefs did not have the value at the positions that they wanted, so they traded down until they did.

They received twice as much value from the Browns (~250 points) that the jump from the Trade Chart suggested the jump would be worth (~120 points).

They traded the pick to a team that wasn't leapfrogging anybody in particular (the Colts weren't going to select Taylor).

And then they landed a player who has Pro Bowl potential, who is a deep threat, and can keep defenses honest. At a one-pick discount, too, since the Ravens weren't on the board.

All while landing us an EARLY 3rd round pick.

Bravo, Pioli. Bravo.

Extra Point
04-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Agree!1111!!!!!!!!!1

Thig Lyfe
04-28-2011, 10:20 PM
I came.

Direckshun
04-28-2011, 10:20 PM
LOL at the tags. still have cassel though

Urc Burry
04-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Ok so were the bears trying trade with the Ravens to leapfrog us for Baldwin??? If so ROFL

I think Haley can turn this guy into a pro bowler

CosmicPal
04-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Let us pray that Bowe doesn't turn him into a tool.

BossChief
04-28-2011, 10:23 PM
This is seriously "best case scenario" for me.

Very happy with tonight!

Von Dumbass
04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
He was the 8th rated WR on NFL.com and was the 57th rated player overall.

Direckshun
04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Thing is, Baldwin had some concerns about his effort during a game.

By the way, so did Barry Richardson.

Todd Haley will fucking change your life.

Count Alex's Losses
04-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Pioli fucking owned this round.

MOAR

Direckshun

I'm pretty sure I don't give a shit.

Did you watch Pitt? Because I watched Pitt.

Count Alex's Losses

Your mother is the top rated whore on slutsforhire.com.

CosmicPal
04-28-2011, 10:26 PM

LMAO

dirk digler
04-28-2011, 10:27 PM

LMAO Ouch

WhitiE
04-28-2011, 10:27 PM

ROFL

Von Dumbass
04-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Sloppy route runner that struggles to separate from quicker defensive backs. Takes too many false steps in transition and does not always find soft spots in zone coverage. Does not have enough wiggle to make defenders miss in the open field. Not exactly a willing run blocker and will occasionally take plays off.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/jonathan-baldwin?id=2495445#tab=1

Direckshun

ROFL

God I love Draft Day.

Did I mention today was my birthday? Every year it falls on my birthday.

It's the greatest gift ever. We get a stud WR across from Bowe, and the #70.

Direckshun
Sloppy route runner that struggles to separate from quicker defensive backs. Takes too many false steps in transition and does not always find soft spots in zone coverage. Does not have enough wiggle to make defenders miss in the open field. Not exactly a willing run blocker and will occasionally take plays off.

Did you watch Pitt?

Extra Point
04-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Brotha got speed!

CosmicPal
04-28-2011, 10:29 PM

Baldwin is a huge receiver with deceptive speed. Long strider that can stretch the field and shows the ability to consistently track the ball in the air. Possesses excellent hands and high points the ball very well. Strong runner after the catch that breaks arm tackles and flashes a vicious stiff arm. Fearless over the middle.

xbarretx
04-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Pioli ****ing owned this round.

MOAR

/end of thread :)

Von Dumbass
Did you watch Pitt?

I live in Big East country. Of course I saw him play. I was just giving you guys a little shit because of all the people who ripped the Von Miller pick.

kcfan82
Did you watch Pitt?

You might also ask him if he watched our 2nd through 5th WR's last year.

The Poz
04-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Love some of the news I'm reading about this kid.
"He ran an outstanding 4.43 in the 40, but says he's capable of hitting the 4.3s when fully healthy (hamstring). His personal best is 4.37. Having 4.3s speed at 6-foot-4, 228 pounds would be quite impressive. If Baldwin can convince teams he's closer to a 4.37 player than a 4.43, he could become a true day-one sleeper."
Being compared to V-Jax. Only negative is that he can be a diva. We'll see.

ChiefsCountry
04-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Excellent pick. Pioli went outside the box and got a stud.
Posted via Mobile Device

MIAdragon
04-28-2011, 10:34 PM

"Baldwin is NFL.com's 9th rated WR and the 57th rated player overall. LMAO You guys could have gotten him at the end of the 2nd round."

You just said he was the 9th rated fucktard, only a few more dumbass posts and he will be the number 1. You win.

Extra Point
Cross slants, and, now, Bowe is the biggest badass to reckon with!

KCrockaholic
Imagining what Haley will turn this monster into....He could be a phenom.

Direckshun
04-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Love some of the news I'm reading about this kid.
"He ran an outstanding 4.43 in the 40, but says he's capable of hitting the 4.3s when fully healthy (hamstring). His personal best is 4.37. Having 4.3s speed at 6-foot-4, 228 pounds would be quite impressive. If Baldwin can convince teams he's closer to a 4.37 player than a 4.43, he could become a true day-one sleeper."
Being compared to V-Jax. Only negative is that he can be a diva. We'll see.

Thing is, none of that shit matters when you have Todd Haley on your team.

Haley will change your life.

Von Dumbass
"Baldwin is NFL.com's 9th rated WR and the 57th rated player overall. LMAO You guys could have gotten him at the end of the 2nd round."

You just said he was the 9th rated ****tard, only a few more dumbass posts and he will be the number 1. You win.

I was wrong the first time. He was 8th http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-team-input:den/dt-by-round-input:1/dt-by-position-input:wr

the Talking Can
i wish people wouldn't quote every single fucking post by that aids ridden fukhorn knowmo...i have his ass on ignore

and this outcome for the first round was beyond my best hope...just spectacular

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Great pick.

Chiefnj2
04-28-2011, 10:37 PM

Haley worked wonders with KC's receivers. That's why they had to go to the street for a playoff starter.

T-post Tom
04-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Every pick is a gamble, but I like this on the surface. Haley has a proved track record with WRs. Good job, Front Office.

Strengths:

Prototypical size and length
Focuses and doesn't drop many passes
Great body control and athleticism
Knows how to use frame and shield corners
Attacks ball at its apex
Terrific hands and plucks the football
Reliable and consistent
Red zone terror
Physical runner; doesn't go down easy
Fearless over the middle
Gets a lot of Y.A.C.
Nice hand-eye coordination
Shows awareness as a receiver
Long strider
No. 1 receiver potential at next level
Elite catch radius
Good run blocker

Weaknesses:

Route running needs improvement
Not a huge vertical threat
Speed is above average, but nothing special
Lacks a special second gear to be a home run threat
A little sluggish coming in/out of breaks

Summary: Baldwin brings enough to the table to be viewed as a No. 1 receiver in the NFL, but I don't see him being an elite receiver because he seems to lack the speed and route running (unless this develops in time). Baldwin is a consistent possession receiver who moves the chains and is a difficult cover due to his size and talent. I have a first-round grade on Baldwin going into the 2011 season and his name should be called in the top 30 picks when it's all said and done.

Player Comparison: Brandon Marshall. Marshall has slightly better speed than Baldwin, but both are fearless, consistent possession receivers.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2011jbaldwin.php

Extra Point
04-28-2011, 10:42 PM
We get Larry Fitzgerald, for less money and more years!

Gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!!

CosmicPal
04-28-2011, 10:42 PM
It doesn't matter what his ranking is. All that matters is that 1. He fills a serious need. And 2. That he dramatically improves the position.

He impacts both of those areas.

In addition, we mysteriously slide up a pick AND we score another pick in this year's draft.

So, the pick scores an "A" Even if he doesn't make the Pro Bowl. Just as long as he becomes another solid receiver to keep the defense from boxing in our running game and double/triple teaming Bowe.

This pick immediately gives our TE's more room. And it gives McCluster a little more freedom. Charles will benefit from this pick as well. But he didn't need any more benefit for being one of the best, if not THE best back in football already.

-King-
04-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Haley worked wonders with KC's receivers. That's why they had to go to the street for a playoff starter.

Who did we have that we could legitimately develop? All we had was Bowe and we see how that turned out.

Direckshun
04-28-2011, 10:45 PM

We've done nothing but pick scraps off the garbage heap since he's been here.

This pick was long overdue.

OnTheWarpath58
04-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Goddamn, I love this pick. I was on the phone with a buddy out of town all night begging to get Baldwin, and we fucking got him.

Got a high 3rd to boot. Good fucking work, Scott. Now don't fuck it up in the 2nd/3rd tomorrow.

Haley's going to turn this kid into a fucking monster.

BigRedChief
04-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Ok so were the bears trying trade with the Ravens to leapfrog us for Baldwin??? If so ROFL

I think Haley can turn this guy into a pro bowlerMaybe thats why the Chiefs were ready to pull the trigger so fast. The Bears had contacted them about moving up?

keg in kc
04-28-2011, 10:49 PM
I was shocked when the pick was made. I expected some lame offensive tackle or guard, especially when they made the quick pick to get on top of Baltimore. And then they called Baldwin's name. Who? Stunned silence. I'm like, is this the same front office that drafted Tyson Jackson? They trade down and then take a receiver? I love it. Not even a reach, really; the general consensus across the board going in was that he was the #3 WR in the draft, and many mocks had him going late first.

We're going to be hard to cover...

OnTheWarpath58
04-28-2011, 10:51 PM

I think Haley can turn this guy into a pro bowler

I think that Chicago thought we were taking Carimi, and wanted to leapfrog us.

They may have found out late we wanted Baldwin and backed out. That dude from the league that deals with the trades looked fucking pissed.

I think Chicago backed out somehow when they realized they didn't need to make a deal.

Sfeihc
04-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Pioli did a good job today lets see what happens tomorrow with three more picks. So far so good, Pioli.

cabletech94
04-28-2011, 10:54 PM
I was shocked when the pick was made. I expected some lame offensive tackle or guard, especially when they made the quick pick to get on top of Baltimore. And then they called Baldwin's name. Who? Stunned silence. I'm like, is this the same front office that drafted Tyson Jackson? They trade down and then take a receiver? I love it. Not even a reach, really; the general consensus across the board going in was that he was the #3 WR in the draft, and many mocks had him going late first.

We're going to be hard to cover...

all of THIS!!!!!

what a great day!!!!

Dayze
04-28-2011, 10:56 PM

LMAO

Mr. Laz
04-28-2011, 10:57 PM
but Pioli sucks.....

eazyb81
04-28-2011, 10:58 PM
I still can't believe we drafted Baldwin.

I have loved him for awhile - hard not to love him after watching Pitt games, even though his stats got crushed this year thanks to their Jersey Shore QB - but never thought we would consider him given the character concerns.

Nice to see Pioli is capable of taking calculated chances when the possible reward is worthwhile.

Brock
04-28-2011, 10:58 PM

They may have found out late we wanted Baldwin and backed out. That dude from the league that deals with the trades looked fucking pissed.

I think Chicago backed out somehow when they realized they didn't need to make a deal.

I hope we intentionally tried to fuck Baltimore.

Mecca
04-28-2011, 10:59 PM
I think most everyone likes Baldwin if they've seen him, he's the definition of playmaker.

JASONSAUTO
04-28-2011, 11:00 PM
I think most everyone likes Baldwin if they've seen him, he's the definition of playmaker.

Positive mecca.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mecca
04-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Positive mecca.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've liked Baldwin forever, you can find a post of mine about him in the draft forum from months and months ago like before last college season.

OnTheWarpath58
04-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Positive mecca.
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO

I think it's hilarious that Hamas, Mecca and I all love this pick, yet there's a "BALDWIN = BUST" thread on the 1st page.

the Talking Can
04-28-2011, 11:02 PM
say we draft powe with the 70th pick

we turned the 21st pick into Baldwin and Powe, addressing our two biggest needs...

awesome

JASONSAUTO
04-28-2011, 11:03 PM
LMAO

I think it's hilarious that Hamas, Mecca and I all love this pick, yet there's a "BALDWIN = BUST" thread on the 1st page.

I do too but I love it that theres reason for you guys to be happy.
Posted via Mobile Device

btlook1
Good pick...fills a huge need on our team! Question did we get snubbed? Chiefs made the pick them commercial then right to the next pick....did they ever even talk about KC's choice or did I just miss it?

58-4ever
LMAO

Yeah, you've got to look at the source of that thread too.

petegz28
04-28-2011, 11:04 PM

I have loved him for awhile - hard not to love him after watching Pitt games, even though his stats got crushed this year thanks to their Jersey Shore QB - but never thought we would consider him given the character concerns.

Nice to see Pioli is capable of taking calculated chances when the possible reward is worthwhile.

What are said concerns?

Demonpenz
04-28-2011, 11:05 PM
now this is going to sell season tickets

petegz28
Good pick...fills a huge need on our team! Question did we get snubbed? Chiefs made the pick them commercial then right to the next pick....did they ever even talk about KC's choice or did I just miss it?

Very little...I never even saw him with a Chiefs jersey but I could have missed it

eazyb81
What are said concerns?

Primarily character concerns.

He had a reported "touching" incident on a school bus if I remember correctly.

Mecca
Sometimes I think character concerns are overblown, i still think Mallett will be the best QB from the class.

DTLB58
04-28-2011, 11:06 PM
It doesn't matter what his ranking is. All that matters is that 1. He fills a serious need. And 2. That he dramatically improves the position.

He impacts both of those areas.

In addition, we mysteriously slide up a pick AND we score another pick in this year's draft.

So, the pick scores an "A" Even if he doesn't make the Pro Bowl. Just as long as he becomes another solid receiver to keep the defense from boxing in our running game and double/triple teaming Bowe.

This pick immediately gives our TE's more room. And it gives McCluster a little more freedom. Charles will benefit from this pick as well. But he didn't need any more benefit for being one of the best, if not THE best back in football already.

:thumb:

trndobrd

It's one thing to be a Diva on the college level at Pitt, it's another thing to be an NFL rookie in a locker room full of grown men. Maybe Derrick Johnson will talk to Baldwin about all the special consideration first round picks get on Haley's depth chart.

Extra Point
Now, we get an OT in the 3rd-5th round. The way it should be.

petegz28
04-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Primarily character concerns.

He had a reported "touching" incident on a school bus if I remember correctly.

Were any firearms involved? Drugs? Was said touching the beating of a woman? And if so what did she do to deserve it?

suzzer99
04-28-2011, 11:10 PM
10x easier to pluck an OL gem out of the later rounds than a big stud wideout.

ForeverChiefs58
04-28-2011, 11:12 PM
ROFL

God I love Draft Day.

Happy Birthday! I guess last year was the best birthday evah, hope this years is just as good. Interesting about the trade value.

T-post Tom

The Ravens' gaff threw everything off kilter. I don't think there was an intentional snub.

MIAdragon
Were any firearms involved? Drugs? Was said touching the beating of a woman? And if so what did she do to deserve it?

Heard she touched a cop.

Rausch
04-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Player Comparison: Brandon Marshall.

I'll take me some of that...

Chiefshrink
04-28-2011, 11:15 PM

He is still working on Bowe to make the easy 3rd down catches.

MIAdragon
04-28-2011, 11:16 PM

Sans stabbing pls.

Coach
04-28-2011, 11:17 PM

Minus the drama, I hope, but yes.

I think with the culture now in place in KC, I think the environment will be fine for him, at least I hope so.

On the other hand, it did took them awhile to axe Larry Johnson, so, there is some cause of concern about that.

But, in all, it's a good pick, solid pick. Not like a 26 year old canadian, who haven't played football in high school.

Rausch
04-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Sans stabbing pls.

He wins us a playoff game he can go hang out with Ray Lewis before the Super Bowl...

keg in kc
04-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Sometimes I think character concerns are overblown, i still think Mallett will be the best QB from the class.I'd say Mallet's problem isn't his character, it's his decision making on the field. He's got all the physical attributes/abilities you could ever want, and I'm not really concerned about his mobility, but I'm not convinced that I'd want him out there with 2 minutes to go in the playoffs, because odds are he's going to going to do something that leaves you shaking your head.

Demonpenz
04-28-2011, 11:19 PM
possible play

Mr. Laz
04-28-2011, 11:20 PM
say we draft powe with the 70th pick

we turned the 21st pick into Baldwin and Powe, addressing our two biggest needs...

awesome
i really want Paea or Powe

DaWolf
04-28-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm sure we got plenty of insight into the guy having his old QB on our team for much of the year...

HotRoute
04-28-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm sure we got plenty of insight into the guy having his old QB on our team for much of the year...

hopefully pioli talked to palko as much as possible during the lockout limbo

keg in kc
04-28-2011, 11:46 PM
i really want Paea or PoweNow everybody imagine laz saying this in a baby voice. I weawwy wan pee or pow

DaWolf
04-28-2011, 11:48 PM
hopefully pioli talked to palko as much as possible during the lockout limbo

We had Bill Stull around for a while as well...

ChiefMojo
04-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Bowe is a good blocker and plays up to his size on the outside during run plays. One has to hope that Baldwin with his nearly 6'5", 230-pound frame that he blocks very well on the outside as well. As most can imagine, we do run the ball a fair amount. ;)

My initial thoughts on the pick was a little shock. Not because I disliked the pick, but it came out of left field. It was a position of dire need, but figured that was going to be a late 2nd round pick like Hankerson or Little.

Getting the #70 pick early in the 3rd round makes this selection even bigger and better. Now we can go NT and OLB in the late 2nd/early 3rd. We have room to maneuver if we feel there may be a run on a position of want.

Personally I want to take "Land Shark" Powe in the 2nd at NT and Martez Wilson in the early 3rd at OLB.

Count Alex's Losses
04-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Look at all the big fucking plays this kid made in almost EVERY game. Fucking huge ass balla FUCK YOU plays.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2v195ip.jpg

ChiefMojo
04-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Baldwin has deceptive speed. He is a mid 4.4 guy, but is a long strider. Being nearly 6'5" makes him look slower then he really is also. Needs to be better in and out of breaks, but I'm sure Haley can work with him on that.

KC Tattoo
04-29-2011, 12:02 AM

Are you talking about your mom?

KCtotheSB
04-29-2011, 12:05 AM
From what I've seen and read, this looks like a great pick. And to pick up an extra third round pick to boot? Very nice work.

Now if only Lance Long would come back....

Chocolate Hog
04-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Great pick and we picked up an extra 3rd round pick.

tk13
04-29-2011, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I don't really want to compare the guy to Randy Moss... he's not Randy Moss... but he does seem kinda similar physically, a tall lanky guy who has a long stride, so it doesn't look like he's running hard when he's at top speed.

T-post Tom
04-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Next stop: working out with Fitzgerald. Woot!

SDChiefs
04-29-2011, 12:13 AM

You drafted tim tebow in the first and mcdaniels was the greatest coach of all time. Stfu you're fucking retarded.

okcchief
04-29-2011, 12:14 AM
I have confidence in Haley as far as receivers go and that's about it. I like what they did today.

Chiefs=Good
04-29-2011, 12:20 AM
This sort of draft day is what the good teams do. Get extra picks and take a value player at a postion of need. AWESOME

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2011, 12:25 AM
Hit that shit.

http://i52.tinypic.com/245n676.jpg

KC Tattoo
04-29-2011, 12:47 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WbzuT2K0B68?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WbzuT2K0B68?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

---

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LE2jhSG3bEs?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LE2jhSG3bEs?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

---

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4sPxeIzAzTo?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4sPxeIzAzTo?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

---
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iW1Dan1bUlM?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iW1Dan1bUlM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Don't tell me he can't streatch the field.

keg in kc
04-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Haley's PC is up on kcchiefs.com, and he's as...Haley as he is in any other interview, but there's a glint in his eye I don't remember before. I think he was particularly happy with this pick. LMAO

SDChiefs
04-29-2011, 12:57 AM
ROFL

God I love Draft Day.

Your birthday changes every year? How's that work?

Saccopoo
04-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Chiefs Country loves the pick.
Hamas loves the pick.
C.E. loves the pick.
Direckshun loves the pick.
Boss loves the pick.
Sac loves the pick.
Everyone loves the pick.

Well, Milk probably hates it, but he hates everything.

When was the last time that a Chiefs pick was a damn near universal thumbs up on the Chiefs Planet?

Bewbies
04-29-2011, 01:13 AM
Hamas loves the pick.
C.E. loves the pick.
Boss loves the pick.
Sac loves the pick.
Everyone loves the pick.

When was the last time that a Chiefs pick was a damn near universal thumbs up on the Chiefs Planet?

First round last year? (well, everyone but you I guess)

Chocolate Hog
04-29-2011, 01:15 AM
Hamas loves the pick.
C.E. loves the pick.
Boss loves the pick.
Sac loves the pick.
Everyone loves the pick.

I recall a few weeks ago I said I would be disappointed if we picked Baldwin and you called me out on it. I'd like to say i'm somewhat of a flip flop because I like the pick. I thought Baldwin was a bit raw but it's ok taking a gamble when you pick at the end of the round and pick up an extra pick.

Saccopoo
04-29-2011, 01:54 AM
I recall a few weeks ago I said I would be disappointed if we picked Baldwin and you called me out on it. I'd like to say i'm somewhat of a flip flop because I like the pick. I thought Baldwin was a bit raw but it's ok taking a gamble when you pick at the end of the round and pick up an extra pick.

http://www.raster.art.pl/villa/dance/ImOK2.jpg

Direckshun
04-29-2011, 01:56 AM
Hamas loves the pick.
C.E. loves the pick.
Boss loves the pick.
Sac loves the pick.
Everyone loves the pick.

It's a good day.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2011, 02:14 AM
HOLY FUCK

According to this link, Jonathan Baldwin has the second-best vertical jump for a wide receiver in the last six years.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2006&workout=VERTICAL_JUMP&position=WR

keg in kc
04-29-2011, 02:19 AM
I happened to check the Star earlier. They have a poll. Of course. It was more than 50% against the pick. Of course.

ROFL

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2011, 02:20 AM
I happened to check the Star earlier. They have a poll. Of course. It was more than 50% against the pick. Of course.

ROFL

Gotta have an OT.

Mecca
04-29-2011, 02:23 AM
General football fan isn't very smart, places like this, we aren't average fans.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2011, 02:26 AM
we aren't average fans.

http://i53.tinypic.com/5eg3g6.jpg

AndChiefs
04-29-2011, 08:00 AM

ROFL

Now they need to have a poll of possible other picks. Just to see how dumb they really are.

the Talking Can
04-29-2011, 08:05 AM

ROFL

fans are calling in and complaining

because they don't know who he is, and they think you win superbowls by drafting RTs in the first every year

TEX
04-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Nothing "genius" about the move. To me it was more common sense than anything. It made perfect sense to go this route as things unfolded. Glad we have a GM who did not try and out think common sense - you need it way more than anything else to be successful.

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2011, 08:34 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cbsports-bears-gm-on-failed-trade-with-ravens-it-was-a-glitch-on-our-part-20110428,0,4438833.story

Forget for the time being the Chicago Bears miscalculated what the Kansas City Chiefs planned to do at the end of the first round.

But realize after general manager Jerry Angelo got off the phone following an apology to the Baltimore Ravens, he needed to call Scott Pioli in Kansas City to thank him for not taking his guy.

After all, the Bears' desire to trade with the Baltimore Ravens for the 26th pick Thursday night was born from their belief the Chiefs were targeting Wisconsin offensive tackle Gabe Carimi, the same player they wanted. The Bears agreed on a trade with the Ravens but they failed to follow NFL protocol and the deal fell was never consummated by the league, allowing the Chiefs, who were to pick 27th, to move ahead of the Ravens.

It was an embarrassing incident for the Bears that angered the Ravens, but in the end everyone got their man. The Bears wanted to make the trade -- sending the 29th pick and their fourth-round pick (127th overall) to the Ravens for the 26th pick -- because they were convinced the Chiefs were drafting Carimi. Instead, Kansas City chose Pitt wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin.

The Ravens, who were skipped at No. 26 following the snafu, then took Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith at No. 27, the man they wanted. The New Orleans Saints executed a trade with the New England Patriots for the 28th pick and grabbed Alabama running back Mark Ingram. That left Carimi for the Bears at No. 29, giving them the man they coveted and allowing them to keep their fourth-round pick at No. 127. The Ravens, obviously, believe the pick should belong to them after agreeing to the trade.

"There was an agreement between the team and I," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "The other team never got confirmation with the league."

Angelo repeatedly called it a "glitch" and was emphatic he apologized to the Ravens after the fact. But at that point, after the Chiefs had selected Baldwin, nothing stopped the Bears from then completing the trade with the Ravens they agreed to make. The Bears had reached a deal on the phone with the Ravens and at that point they could have traded the 29th pick and the 127th pick in exchange for the 27th pick. Baltimore, after all, was told it had a deal in place before the clock ran out on the previous pick. Sure, it was clear Carimi would likely fall in the Bears' lap, but they had struck a deal in good faith.

After a long wait following the selection of Carimi, Angelo entered the Halas Hall auditorium to discuss the pick and the trade that didn't happen.

"We had a disconnect and there might be something said about it because of not communicating with the league and proper protocol and that was my fault," Angelo said. "I called Baltimore and I did apologize to Baltimore and told them that it was our fault. They did everything according to the rules and we thought we were following everything and we just ran out of time. No more than that. It was a glitch on our part and that glitch obviously was under my reign. It worked out. We got our player. I feel they got their player and we moved on.

"Whatever you hear, Baltimore did everything the right way."

There were a total of five trades made during the first round. The last time Angelo traded up was in the fifth round of the 2003 draft when the Bears moved up to select Missouri wide receiver Justin Gage.

"We didn't take advantage of the time we had to do it according to what we know is the protocol in the league," Angelo said. "I did call Baltimore and I did apologize for that. I want to go on record to say that."

The process to make a trade while on the clock in the draft is simple. Each team needs to call Joel Bussert, the NFL's vice president of player personnel, and tell him the terms. Newsome said the Ravens told Bussert of their deal. The Bears either didn't get to him or didn't get to him in time.

When asked if the disconnect was with the league office, Angelo tried to put the issue to rest.

"I don't want to get into it," he said. "It's been a long day. There are a lot of things happening in a draft room, you are getting a lot of calls. We dropped the ball. I dropped the ball. I can't say anything more than that. I'm not going to get into the specifics other than that. I made an apology because an apology needed to be made.

"We certainly didn't do anything to circumvent the spirit of the rules by any nature. I'm not going to talk on it anymore. What's been done can't be undone and hopefully everybody at the end of the day got their player."

Angelo seemed somewhat shaken by the turn of events. It's more troublesome for the club than the checked-box errors made with restricted free agents in 2002 because this situation involves another team. They lost wide receiver D'wayne Bates because of that error and were forced to match a deal with the Chiefs to keep linebacker Warrick Holdman.

The Bears' communication was off in the draft room last year. While the team was on the clock in the sixth round, college scouting director Greg Gabriel called Buffalo running back James Starks, informing him the team was selecting him. After this, Angelo walked in and informed Gabriel there had been a change of plan and the team was drafting Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour. Gabriel called it the most embarrassing moment of his career in a column for the National Football Post.

Like Angelo said, it worked out in the end. The Bears badly wanted Carimi and had no idea he'd fall to them. He got past the team they figured would snatch him up, the Chiefs. The Ravens didn't suffer any harm in the process although they now lack the pick the Bears agreed to trade them in the fourth round.

Whether or not the Ravens can pursue any recourse is unknown. An NFL source experienced with draft day trades said it was unlikely. The Bears will be more experienced for the next situation that comes up when they want to trade up. It would be surprising if they cut any deals with the Ravens in the near future.

bmbiggs@tribune.com

Twitter @BradBiggs

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2011, 08:36 AM

because they don't know who he is, and they think you win superbowls by drafting RTs in the first every year

We have the dumbest fucking fanbase in the NFL.

:facepalm:

BigCatDaddy
04-29-2011, 08:36 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cbsports-bears-gm-on-failed-trade-with-ravens-it-was-a-glitch-on-our-part-20110428,0,4438833.story

That MIGHT be true, but what else are they going to say other then we still got the guy we were going up to get.

El Jefe
04-29-2011, 08:37 AM

Classic!

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2011, 08:40 AM
That MIGHT be true, but what else are they going to say other then we still got the guy we were going up to get.

The whole world thinks we're going Carimi there, the Bears desperately need OL help, and you think that a.) Chicago wanted Baldwin and b.) they KNEW they had to jump us to take him?

Jesus fuck, people. Occam's Razor.

Chiefnj2
04-29-2011, 08:42 AM
Hamas loves the pick.
C.E. loves the pick.
Boss loves the pick.
Sac loves the pick.
Everyone loves the pick.

Last year with Eric Berry.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2011, 08:44 AM
We probably should hold off on the Pioli Cannoli Sucking for a bit.

He fucked up the 2nd round last year, we have 3 picks today he can flush down the toilet...I still have a gif loaded in my hate-flame gun.

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Last year with Eric Berry.

True, but that pick was much, much more predictable than this.

To be picking 21 - then trade down, and still get a guy (most) everyone likes is unheard of.

BigCatDaddy
04-29-2011, 08:46 AM

The whole world thinks we're going Carimi there, the Bears desperately need OL help, and you think that a.) Chicago wanted Baldwin and b.) they KNEW they had to jump us to take him?

Jesus ****, people. Occam's Razor.

So if they wanted Smith or Baldwin do you think they would have came out and said that?

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2011, 08:49 AM
So if they wanted Smith or Baldwin do you think they would have came out and said that?

If?

There is no "if."

You're the only person on the face of the earth that can't, or chooses not to comprehend what happened here.

Have a great day. Don't forget your tinfoil hat.

BigCatDaddy
04-29-2011, 08:53 AM
If?

There is no "if."

You're the only person on the face of the earth that can't, or chooses not to comprehend what happened here.

Have a great day. Don't forget your tinfoil hat.

So how do the Bears all of a sudden realize the Chiefs are picking Baldwin minutes before the Chiefs draft?

Chiefnj2
04-29-2011, 08:55 AM
True, but that pick was much, much more predictable than this.

To be picking 21 - then trade down, and still get a guy (most) everyone likes is unheard of.

75% of this board rationalized T Jax and Dex within two days of the draft the last two years. Picking a good prospect at a dire position of need = approval.

MahiMike
04-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Applause all around!

Chiefnj2
04-29-2011, 08:59 AM
So how do the Bears all of a sudden realize the Chiefs are picking Baldwin minutes before the Chiefs draft?

They don't see Carimi on the phone?

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2011, 09:05 AM

LMAO

Actually, because THEY were on the phone with Carimi.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/29/2011-nfl-draft/index.html?eref=sihp

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Before I get to the story of the night, the mega-trade between Cleveland and Atlanta that I'm sure made Sean Payton cringe, an explanation of the weirdness that happened with Baltimore on the clock at pick 26, weirdness that is not over:

Chicago, picking 29th, and Baltimore, at 26, finalized a trade that would have had them switch slots, with the Ravens getting the Bears' fourth-round pick in return. Chicago would take Wisconsin tackle Gabe Carimi, and the Ravens, if Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith was still on the board, would take Smith at 29. With two minutes left in the Ravens' period, the deal was done. Under NFL rules, each team has to report the trade to NFL draft headquarters at Radio City Music Hall. The Ravens called it in. They assumed Chicago called it in, but due to a miscommunication in the Bears draft room, no one from Chicago ever called the league. As the clock ticked down to zero, and Chicago was on the phone with Carimi to tell him he was going to be their pick, Baltimore noticed no one at the league had announced the trade and Chicago's pick of Carimi. Meanwhile, Kansas City, with the 27th pick, rushed its card to the desk at Radio City, taking Pittsburgh wideout Jonathan Baldwin.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/29/2011-nfl-draft/index.html#ixzz1Kv9hpcwE

Chiefnj2
04-29-2011, 09:11 AM
LMAO

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/29/2011-nfl-draft/index.html?eref=sihp

I kind of feel like the commissioner should force Chicago to give the late round pick to Baltimore.

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2011, 09:12 AM
I kind of feel like the commissioner should force Chicago to give the late round pick to Baltimore.

Same here.

I don't think there was a "miscommunication" at all.

BigCatDaddy
04-29-2011, 09:28 AM

Why would he be on the clock with the Chiefs if it's Baltimore's pick?

Chiefnj2
04-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Why would he be on the clock with the Chiefs if it's Baltimore's pick?

You mean on the phone? Because teams may want to tie up the line?

BigCatDaddy
04-29-2011, 09:31 AM
LMAO

So Chicago just really f'd up and there was no backing out a trade with time still on the clock. Now that makes sense.

KC Tattoo
04-29-2011, 09:31 AM
We probably should hold off on the Pioli Cannoli Sucking for a bit.

He ****ed up the 2nd round last year, we have 3 picks today he can flush down the toilet...I still have a gif loaded in my hate-flame gun.

He didn't **** up any thing last year. Your just Danebutt hurt that McCluster not going to be slot WR. Now it's even better having McCluster run HB duties.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Now it's even better having McCluster run HB duties.

No, it's not.

A slot WR provides a lot more value.

And I still hate that Arenas pick.

Count Alex's Losses
04-29-2011, 11:29 AM
I am watching Pitt's bowl game....it's like their offense is run the ball and fuck it, chuck it up deep to Baldwin...LOL

Mr. Laz
04-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Yeah, I don't really want to compare the guy to Randy Moss... he's not Randy Moss... but he does seem kinda similar physically, a tall lanky guy who has a long stride, so it doesn't look like he's running hard when he's at top speed.
nah imo Baldwin is like a young Plaxico Burress, not Moss.

Mr. Laz
04-29-2011, 11:35 AM
I am watching Pitt's bowl game....it's like their offense is run the ball and **** it, chuck it up deep to Baldwin...LOL
which makes him good fit for our offense tbh

Der Flöprer
04-29-2011, 11:36 AM
LMAO @ baldwindeep..casselmisses

Hays
04-29-2011, 11:41 AM
So what round will the chiefs draft a qb?
3rd?

They won't keep croyle so they will need a backup.

milkman
04-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Hamas loves the pick.
C.E. loves the pick.
Boss loves the pick.
Sac loves the pick.
Everyone loves the pick.

The Chiefs got the best receiver on the board.
The Chiefs receiver corps is the worst I've ever seen.

So, yeah, sure, I'm gonna hate the pick.

The real surprise here is that you aren't bitching because they passed on Carimi.

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2011, 12:20 PM
The real surprise here is that you aren't bitching because they passed on Carimi.

Thats the one lineman he hates bc he couldn't replace Albert.

Saccopoo
04-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Thats the one lineman he hates bc he couldn't replace Albert.

True dat.

vailpass
04-29-2011, 12:29 PM
There are a couple good tags in this thread

Chiefnj2
08-19-2013, 09:40 PM
Maybe not so genius after all.

Pablo
08-19-2013, 09:50 PM

because they don't know who he is, and they think you win superbowls by drafting RTs in the first every yearThis was a little early for it's time.

But still applicable.