PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Winners and Losers of Round 1

OnTheWarpath58
04-28-2011, 10:59 PM
That was a wildly entertaining 1st round, IMO. Some great picks, some WTF picks, and Pioli did a helluva job trading back and getting Baldwin instead of some slapdick lineman.

So, who were your winners and losers of the 1st round?

Winners:

Saints
Falcons
Chiefs
Jacksonville
Giants
Lions

Losers:

Titans
Vikings
Seahawks
Panthers

Thoughts?

Brock
04-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Not too sure about the Tits being losers. IMO, Locker is going to be better than Gabbert.

The Vikings though. What a fucking fire drill.

petegz28
It's nice to have 2 years in a row where our 1st round picks were not wasted on reaches and dreams

JASONSAUTO
how can the eagles not be losers after how the planet talked about their pick all day?
Ravens not making a pick repeals losing too
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
04-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Wouldn't put the Saints in the winners category because of what they gave up.

petegz28
04-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Not too sure about the Tits being losers. IMO, Locker is going to be better than Gabbert.

The Vikings though. What a ****ing fire drill.

Personally, as a die-hard MU fan, I have always thought Gabbert was overrated.

Frosty
04-28-2011, 11:03 PM
I don't think I would classify the Falcons as winners. They gave up a lot for a position that wasn't a need.

Mecca
The Ravens got a typical Ravens pick....I'm not sure Atlanta is a winner Jones is nice and all but not for all they gave up.

OnTheWarpath58
how can the eagles not be losers after how the planet talked about their pick all day?
Ravens not making a pick repeals losing too
Posted via Mobile Device

You might have missed a post I made explaining it, at least IMO.

A team like Philly, Indy, Jets, etc - a team who is built to win now can take a chance on a 27 year old rookie.

A team like KC, who still has a LOT of holes, shouldn't, under any circumstances.

DeezNutz
The Seahawks? LMAO. Oh, the mother****ing Seahawks. Selected my fourth-round RT from the mock in the first. Thank you, Seattle, for allowing me to win the mock.

KurtCobain
vikes and chiefs and saints big winnas!

OnTheWarpath58
04-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Wouldn't put the Saints in the winners category because of what they gave up.

A late 1st?

Big fucking deal.

JASONSAUTO
04-28-2011, 11:05 PM
You might have missed a post I made explaining it, at least IMO.

A team like Philly, Indy, Jets, etc - a team who is built to win now can take a chance on a 27 year old rookie.

A team like KC, who still has a LOT of holes, shouldn't, under any circumstances.

I can see that I guess. Age though.

And yeah I missed that post
Posted via Mobile Device

Rams Fan
04-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Browns are a winner, IMO.

Same with the Chiefs.

Losers:
Falcons
Saints
Panthers
Titans
Seahawks

OnTheWarpath58
04-28-2011, 11:06 PM
The Seahawks? LMAO. Oh, the mother****ing Seahawks. Selected my fourth-round RT from the mock in the first. Thank you, Seattle, for allowing me to win the mock.

Could have swore they were going Carimi, and they went WAY off the reservation instead.

Nick Saban's reaction was fucking priceless.

DeezNutz
A late 1st?

Big ****ing deal.

Next year's first? And 56 overall?

Rams Fan
A late 1st?

Big fucking deal.

They also gave up a 2nd...

nychief
04-28-2011, 11:07 PM
pats are winners...

Demonpenz
04-28-2011, 11:08 PM
ingram reminds me of Edge James after his knee injury. Solid back

OnTheWarpath58
04-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Next year's first? And 56 overall?

Losing 56 isn't an issue to me, because you just made two picks in the first 30.

Next years first is going to be a very late pick, more than likely.

They got two damn good football players, IMO. I wouldn't have an issue with that deal if I were a Saints fan.

the Talking Can
04-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Falcons are losers

you don't pay that loot for any non-QB...their defense is not good enough

DeezNutz
04-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Losing 56 isn't an issue to me, because you just made two picks in the first 30.

Next years first is going to be a very late pick, more than likely.

They got two damn good football players, IMO. I wouldn't have an issue with that deal if I were a Saints fan.

Fair enough. But I wouldn't give up that much for a RB.

the Talking Can
04-28-2011, 11:11 PM
any team drafting a 27 year old OL in the first round is a fucking loser

DeezNutz
04-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Goodell was a fucking loser. All. Night.

Buck
04-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Lions are the biggest winners, IMO.

Rams Fan
04-28-2011, 11:20 PM

Eh, they need an OT.

But I think they'll address that in Round 2.

T-post Tom
Falcons are losers

you don't pay that loot for any non-QB...their defense is not good enough

tru dat

OnTheWarpath58

That front four is fucking filthy.

They'll get a tackle in R2 and be in great shape.

L.A. Chieffan
04-28-2011, 11:21 PM
anybody that picked a qb

keg in kc
04-28-2011, 11:23 PM
I'm going to go against the grain and question what the Lions did. Fairley's a great pick if you look at him in a vacuum, no question about that at all, but I'm not sure he's the right pick for that team where they are.

eazyb81
04-28-2011, 11:23 PM
any team drafting a 27 year old OL in the first round is a ****ing loser

This x a million.

It's amazing how the hype train on Watkins took off the last week.

Group think is a helluva drug.

Just Passin' By
04-28-2011, 11:25 PM
The Patriots and Browns were winners. The Browns and Lions were probably the two biggest winners, IMO.

Buck
04-28-2011, 11:26 PM
I'm wondering where Da'quon Bowers ends up.

Fumblerooski
I'd call the Raiders Losers tonight, there were tons of talentless fast guys they missed out on...

beer bacon
Personally, as a die-hard MU fan, I have always thought Gabbert was overrated.

Gabbert never lived up to his five star potential, but Locker was pretty awful this season. If you think Gabbert played poorly against Nebraska...

FD
04-28-2011, 11:27 PM
How about those draft geniuses in Baltimore?

beer bacon
Patriots always win the draft. I expect them to turn that 33rd pick into more draft picks. They will have every team in the NFL trying to trade for it.

kysirsoze

I'm not sold on Fairley. Physical beast, but his technique and work ethic suck.

Mecca
I'm going to go against the grain and question what the Lions did. Fairley's a great pick if you look at him in a vacuum, no question about that at all, but I'm not sure he's the right pick for that team where they are.

I like it though if the 2 DT's dominate ok ends all of the sudden look great.

The Bad Guy
That front four is ****ing filthy.

They'll get a tackle in R2 and be in great shape.

Except they are coached by an ancient mutant who can't coach anymore.

Guy had Suh and VB on his line last year and still couldn't stop the run. His schemes are awful.

I'll go on record right now and say the Chiefs run for over 150 against that defense.

Rams Fan
04-28-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm wondering where Da'quon Bowers ends up.

I think he's going to be picked in the latter part of the 2nd round.

Rams Fan
04-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Lions on their D-line have:
Suh
Avril
Fairley
Vanden Bosch

Avril has the most sacks from the '08 class so far.

mnchiefsguy
04-28-2011, 11:30 PM
I think the Falcons would have to be losers. They could have held onto their pick and gotten the WR we took. Is Jones that much better that he warrants giving up what they gave up? Probably not, especially considering the Falcons have a definitive #1 WR.

I think the Chiefs did well, and the Browns and Pats did very, very, well given the extra draft picks they picked up.

keg in kc
04-28-2011, 11:31 PM
I think the Browns are losers. Taylor's going to be yet another d-line bust for them, and they spent two picks to get him.

RUSH
04-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Agreed with your winners.

I also love what the Rams and Giants did too. They both benefited greatly from the run on QB's. Great value picks with Prince and Quinn.

MahiMike
04-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Falcons were the biggest losers. Gave away the farm for Julio.
Vikings tried to trade down like us couple years ago. Got stuck with their player.

Cleveland, KC, Pats all trade down. Good stuff.

Very entertaining.

OnTheWarpath58
04-28-2011, 11:33 PM
I think the Browns are losers. Taylor's going to be yet another d-line bust for them, and they spent two picks to get him.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that.

People want to call them winners because of all the picks they got from Atlanta, but they are only winners if they don't fuck up those picks.

So far, they've fucked up, IMO.

keg in kc
04-28-2011, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that.

People want to call them winners because of all the picks they got from Atlanta, but they are only winners if they don't **** up those picks.

So far, they've ****ed up, IMO.They'd have been better off staying put. The dropoff between the player taken in their spot and the player they ended up with is grand canyon sized.

chiefs1111
04-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Love what the Chiefs did,hope day 2 will go just as well.

Chiefshrink
04-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Suh and Fairly gonna have some Cutler,Rogers and especially Ponder for dinner. Their D just got a whole lot better.

Von Dumbass
04-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Lions on their D-line have:
Suh
Avril
Fairley
Vanden Bosch

Avril has the most sacks from the '08 class so far.

Denver will be bringing Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller.

Red Brooklyn
04-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I'm also not sure the Falcons are winners here. Seems like a lot to give up. Feels like a "now or never" kind of move.

Rams Fan
04-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Denver will be bringing Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller.

I'm not knocking the Broncos at all here, but it's going to be hard for them to have a line as good or better than the Lions unless they draft a lot of DL.

The Rick
04-29-2011, 12:00 AM
So, based on this thread, it sounds like trading down equals automatic winner. :)

BigMeatballDave
04-29-2011, 12:00 AM
I still cant believe Tenn took Locker there.

The Bad Guy
04-29-2011, 12:01 AM
If I'm a team drafting Bowers in the 2nd round, I tell him to immediately get the surgery and take the year off.

BossChief
04-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Watch the Lions draft Bowers in the second and field one of the better DLs in a long time once the group gets up to speed.

tk13
04-29-2011, 12:06 AM
I like what the Lions did. You gotta have pass rushers in today's NFL... and especially in their division if Rodgers decides he's going to keep playing with the Game Genie turned on. If the Saints didn't give up a first round pick I'd really like what they did. Although most important for them, they might have kept Ingram out of GB, so maybe it'll work out.

I'm just not a huge fan of any of the QB's. So strange to see such a run in a down year. I'm sure they won't all be busts though. I think Gabbert had the best long term potential, and he might have the chance to sit. Don't know what to think about the Titans.

keg in kc
04-29-2011, 12:20 AM
I like what the Lions did. You gotta have pass rushers in today's NFL... I agree with that, but I think the Donkeys and Lions would probably both be better if they could swap Fairley and Miller (with Miller being Guntard's 'falcon').

KC Tattoo
04-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Got to love the Raiders PICK

booger
04-29-2011, 12:29 AM
somewhere from 15-20 all the way to the 3rd round range i think you could find teams/scout graded a large group of players with the same grade or score.

Poor quality draft. Glad they passed on Carimi and Sherrod. Might have the same talent level of say Marcus Gilbert of Fla or Brewer from Indiana.

I think they could target OLB K.J. Wright as early as #55 for some reason i think he is their guy at that position. Depends who drops. Hard to pass up a Justin Houston there even w/ the neg piss test.

Stanzy could be a target at#70 just because of the qb's that came off the board so far. Wisnewski is intriging if they like him as a center in day 2. Pioli had an interview w/Hothus yesterday for predraft and he mentioned Darryl Harris by name. I know they worked him at C on the scout team. Maybe he's ready to be the inside swing guy.

as for NT: Wonder if CLE would have an interest in trading Ahtyba Rubin. He wasn't a Crennel pick but manginis. He did have a good year last year so i imagine they will find a spot in their new 4-3 for him. If the price is right though........

Powe has some weight concerns and overall intelligence questions but Haley is tight w/ Houston Nutt and has scouted several from Oher and Harris through the two he took last year from Ole Miss. He'll have a good grasp Powe, Ted Laurent, another DT from there that escapes me and Late rd/FA OLB Kentrell Lockett.

Not only Haley being from Western PA but plenty of other connections to Pitt. Palko and Fitz although neither played with Baldwin. Bill Stull did though. He was at the Rookie tryouts and Pitts QB after Palko. Lots of prospects came out of Aliquippa and i'm sure plenty of teams have long time contacts there. And this one is kinda no big deal but Pioli has plenty of respect and talks with Jimmy Johnson on scouting/personel. JJ is as close with Wandstedt as anybody in the business and.......not a big deal i'm just making a connection there for no apparent reason.

This could be like the '09 draft with more early rd players getting cut after only a couple years. Maybe it's not that bad.

I'm glad they got another pick and glad they took a risk at a positon of need and not another OL like Carimi that i'm not so sure is any better than BRich.

There's a place for Baldwin in this offense for sure. High ceiling and a floor of say a J.J. Stokes. He's faster and has more twitch than that and i'd be happy with a Marques Colston type of player.

As to the OP: Hard to judge the losers in this. 9ers took a big risk passing on a QB namely Gabbert. Plenty of teams got stuck in bad spots and just couldn't move back.

Awesome pick for NO and co at 24 with Cam Jordan. He's going to be a player.

buddha
04-29-2011, 12:33 AM
Vikings were the dumbasses of the first round. Ponder? Really? If you wanted that douche, he would have been there later. Trade down.

ChiefsCountry
04-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Falcons will sell some tickets to Alabama folks that is for sure.

Mojo Rising
04-29-2011, 12:38 AM
The Niners were big losers. They had a huge need for a QB and CB and selected a DE who was projected to go much lower? I think they didn't expect the run QB's and thought they could find one w/ their 2nd rounder. Alex Smith is their QB.

They have an older DE from MU (J Smith) and could have found more depth for the D line in free agency easier than trying to fill their gaping holes at QB and CB in later rounds or FA. Let's face it, they should build the front 7 around Willis (eerily similar to Lanier) who is one of the best players in the NFL and supplement talent in their D backfield or pick a stud QB who their new HS, Capt Comeback (remember the Lin Ellitot po game), could have groomed ala Andrew Luck.

The other loser no one mentioned is the Chargers. You dont spend a #1 on a player and expect them to switch positions unless the player is a phenom. This is very Larry English/Ryan Matthews. AJ Smith seems to be losing his draft Mojo. I wonder if this coincides with the owners son being more involved with the scouting the last few years?

BigMeatballDave
04-29-2011, 12:40 AM
Lions are going to have a monster DL.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2011, 12:58 AM
The Falcons gave up way too much for a WR who isn't a Calvin Johnson type talent.

TEX
04-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Yeah, I'm also not sure the Falcons are winners here. Seems like a lot to give up. Feels like a "now or never" kind of move.

This.
It was way too much to give up.

Saccopoo
04-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Vikings were the dumbasses of the first round. Ponder? Really? If you wanted that douche, he would have been there later. Trade down.

Ponder will get the playbook tomorrow morning and have it memorized by next week.

I think he'll be the best quarterback from this draft when everything is said and done, with the possible exception of Kaepernick - if he goes to the right team. (The Bills could possibly pull the trigger on him in Round 2, which would be the best thing for both parties.)

The Bad Guy
04-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Ponder will get the playbook tomorrow morning and have it memorized by next week.

I think he'll be the best quarterback from this draft when everything is said and done, with the possible exception of Kaepernick - if he goes to the right team. (The Bills could possibly pull the trigger on him in Round 2, which would be the best thing for both parties.)

100% agreed. A pistol-loving head coach getting matched with someone who could probably run his offense this coming Sunday.

I think the Bills to come away with Dareus and Kaepernick would be a major win for the Bills.

Bewbies
04-29-2011, 01:20 AM
Looking at the Falcons, there's no way Julio Jones is all those picks better than Baldwin.

Fairley will never get double teamed standing next to Suh. That line is SICK.

Saccopoo
04-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Lions are going to have a monster DL.

The Lions already have a monster defensive line. A warm body next to Suh will get five to eight sacks in a season. That was a moron level pick considering that their three quarterbacks ended up on the IR at some point during the season.

You don't pay Stafford 60 million dollars and watch him get creamed on damn near every passing down.

Pouncey, Castonzo, anybody.

I understand BPA, but when you can't keep your franchise quarterback upright, you've got to consider a "need" pick at that point.

chiefs1111
04-29-2011, 01:51 AM

They did try to trade down but couldn't make a deal in time,so they took him at 12.

SDChiefs
04-29-2011, 02:08 AM
The Lions already have a monster defensive line. A warm body next to Suh will get five to eight sacks in a season. That was a moron level pick considering that their three quarterbacks ended up on the IR at some point during the season.

You don't pay Stafford 60 million dollars and watch him get creamed on damn near every passing down.

I understand BPA, but when you can't keep your franchise quarterback upright, you've got to consider a "need" pick at that point.

I find it hard to read what you have to say. Just sayin'.

KC Tattoo
04-29-2011, 02:09 AM
Didn't think the Dolts made a big wow pick. Corey Liuget may be a good player but I don't think he is going to be any thing special. Moot.

Saccopoo
04-29-2011, 02:14 AM
100% agreed. A pistol-loving head coach getting matched with someone who could probably run his offense this coming Sunday.

I think the Bills to come away with Dareus and Kaepernick would be a major win for the Bills.

I don't know what the Bills brain trust is thinking, but it's as close to a QB/Team Need match as there currently is.

On Ponder, the guy is very smart, has superb pocket presence, and is going to a team absolutely loaded with offensive weapons and a solid offensive line. Favre has always been a bit of a half-wit gambler. Not so with Ponder. They get a guy who is able to quickly diagnose a play, feel the defense and find an open guy while working around a pass rush. With Peterson, Shiancoe, Harvin, Gerhardt, Berrian, and I assume they pick up another wideout in this draft, that's a lot of tools to work with. After the last couple of seasons dealing with the Favre indecision, getting a huddle leader that is going to be around a long time has got to be a relief for the team and the coaching staff.

I think it's a great fit and a great pick.

Mecca
04-29-2011, 02:18 AM
As much as the Lions need an OT this was a shitty crop of them and a top 7 player fell in their laps can't pass on that, that DL will be insane.

Der Flöprer
04-29-2011, 02:21 AM
Run your mouths. I've Told you for two years that Locker would go ahead of Gabbert. We'll see.

Mecca
04-29-2011, 02:25 AM
Run your mouths. I've Told you for two years that Locker would go ahead of Gabbert. We'll see.

I question the wisdom of taking a running QB with passing issues after you just failed with a running QB with passing issues....

Saccopoo
04-29-2011, 02:26 AM
I find it hard to read what you have to say. Just sayin'.

The NFL team, the Detroit Lions, made a bad pick.

They picked defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh last season and he had 10 sacks.

Another defensive line player, Cliff Avril, had 8.5 sacks.

Another defensive line player, Turk McBride, had 5 sacks.

Another defensive line player, Lawrence Jackson, had 6 sacks.

Another defensive line player, Kyle Van Den Bosch, had 4 sacks.

Another defensive line player, Corey Williams, had 2 sacks.

Another defensive line player, Sammie Lee Hill, had 2.5 sacks.

The Lions defensive line had a shit ton of sacks.

However, their three quarterbacks were hit hard enough, enough times that they all ended up on the injured reserve list at one point during the season, including Matt Stafford, the #1 pick in the 2009 Draft.

When they picked defensive tackle Nick Fairley at #13 in this years (2011) draft, it seemed a bit redundant considering that they picked defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh with the #2 pick last year. And that Suh was very effective, but so was the rest of the defensive line, while their quarterbacks got hammered and ended up with substantial injuries.

As such, I felt that they should have picked an offensive lineman, any offensive lineman, in this years draft so that their quarterback had a chance to stay upright versus getting his balls kicked in on nearly every snap.

Verstehen Sie?

Just Passin' By
04-29-2011, 02:27 AM
I don't know what the Bills brain trust is thinking, but it's as close to a QB/Team Need match as there currently is.

On Ponder, the guy is very smart, has superb pocket presence, and is going to a team absolutely loaded with offensive weapons and a solid offensive line. Favre has always been a bit of a half-wit gambler. Not so with Ponder. They get a guy who is able to quickly diagnose a play, feel the defense and find an open guy while working around a pass rush. With Peterson, Shiancoe, Harvin, Gerhardt, Berrian, and I assume they pick up another wideout in this draft, that's a lot of tools to work with. After the last couple of seasons dealing with the Favre indecision, getting a huddle leader that is going to be around a long time has got to be a relief for the team and the coaching staff.

I think it's a great fit and a great pick.

How is an oft-injured QB with a suspect arm a good fit for a team that plays outdoors against the likes of the Packers and Bears?

Saccopoo
04-29-2011, 02:29 AM
I question the wisdom of taking a running QB with passing issues after you just failed with a running QB with passing issues....

Yes, but the previous QB was a running QB with passing issues and mental issues. The new QB seems pretty solid on the mental aspect. Maybe it finally works out for them.

Just Passin' By
04-29-2011, 02:36 AM
Yes, but the previous QB was a running QB with passing issues and mental issues. The new QB seems pretty solid on the mental aspect. Maybe it finally works out for them.

The previous QB got that team to the brink of a Super Bowl while in his 40's.

Saccopoo
04-29-2011, 02:40 AM
How is an oft-injured QB with a suspect arm a good fit for a team that plays outdoors against the likes of the Packers and Bears?

A valid point, and the biggest question about Ponder. However, from all indications, his shoulder was/is totally fine and he was flinging lasers at his Pro Day. Most people there were impressed with his ability to accurately throw the deep ball.

But didn't seem to miss a beat.

The scouts were eager to see if he is fully recovered from a series of arm injuries. With Bruce running routes along with a handful of Florida State running backs, Ponder threw short passes, sideline passes, intermediate passes and also the deep ball.

Most scouts wanted to see how Ponder threw long, a question mark among some anxious to see if he'd gotten past the shoulder and arm injuries that severely limited his production over the last year-and-a-half of his collegiate career.

"Great competitor," Cincinnati offensive coordinator Jay Gruden said afterward, noting that Ponder also brings rare leadership intangibles. "An interesting guy and a great prospect."

Ponder's stock has risen rapidly after being selected as the MVP of the Senior Bowl he followed up with a sterling performance at the NFL combine last month at Indianapolis and another Wednesday.

"He had a real good day," Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher said. "Especially with guys he'd never thrown with."

They were savvy enough to have James Andrews do the repair, and it seems to be good.

There is always question marks with previously injured guys - Aldon Smith and Ponder did okay, Ingram and Bowers not so much. I can't imagine the Vikes not checking his meds out and having questions when drafting him at #12.

Saccopoo
04-29-2011, 02:43 AM
The previous QB got that team to the brink of a Super Bowl while in his 40's.

I thought we were talking Titans and Vince Young...

Did I miss something?

Just Passin' By
04-29-2011, 02:48 AM
I thought we were talking Titans and Vince Young...

Did I miss something?

No, my screw up. I misread the post you were replying to. That tells me that it's time for some sleep.

Saccopoo
04-29-2011, 02:52 AM
No, my screw up. I misread the post you were replying to. That tells me that it's time for some sleep.

It's all good. It's late, we're happy.

Grab that pillow and drift into blissful slumber knowing that we have a legit #2 WR.

booger
04-29-2011, 02:54 AM
Didn't think the Dolts made a big wow pick. Corey Liuget may be a good player but I don't think he is going to be any thing special. Moot.

yup. he can play the DE and in some cases DT in their one gapping slant 34. Got a new DC in Manusky but i'm sure it will be similar. I think he is better suited for the 43 and they will regret passing on Cam Jordan. Perfect fit.

MagicHef
04-29-2011, 03:06 AM
The NFL team, the Detroit Lions, made a bad pick.

They picked defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh last season and he had 10 sacks.

Another defensive line player, Cliff Avril, had 8.5 sacks.

Another defensive line player, Turk McBride, had 5 sacks.

Another defensive line player, Lawrence Jackson, had 6 sacks.

Another defensive line player, Kyle Van Den Bosch, had 4 sacks.

Another defensive line player, Corey Williams, had 2 sacks.

Another defensive line player, Sammie Lee Hill, had 2.5 sacks.

The Lions defensive line had a shit ton of sacks.

However, their three quarterbacks were hit hard enough, enough times that they all ended up on the injured reserve list at one point during the season, including Matt Stafford, the #1 pick in the 2009 Draft.

When they picked defensive tackle Nick Fairley at #13 in this years (2011) draft, it seemed a bit redundant considering that they picked defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh with the #2 pick last year. And that Suh was very effective, but so was the rest of the defensive line, while their quarterbacks got hammered and ended up with substantial injuries.

As such, I felt that they should have picked an offensive lineman, any offensive lineman, in this years draft so that their quarterback had a chance to stay upright versus getting his balls kicked in on nearly every snap.

Verstehen Sie?

There's still a lot of draft left. Also FA. Picking for need in the first round is stupid.

BryanBusby
04-29-2011, 03:13 AM
As much as the Lions need an OT this was a shitty crop of them and a top 7 player fell in their laps can't pass on that, that DL will be insane.

Too bad their secondary couldn't cover a fucking dead dear scraped off of I-70 and decided to take a chance on a one year wonder who can't follow the rules. Passing on Prince was a disaster of a decision.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-_WdxUWX760" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That one play summarizes the Lions 2010 pass defense.

DBOSHO
04-29-2011, 03:54 AM
Lol the falcons are epic fail.

Mi_chief_fan
04-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Bears are losers. F##ked up the trade with Ravens, didn't get Baldwin, who they apparently wanted. Carimi should help them, but we'll see. Their WR were among worst in the NFL.

DaKCMan AP
04-29-2011, 07:28 AM
Winners:
Browns
Chiefs
Giants
Saints
Steelers

Losers:
Falcons
Seahawks

Leaving out the QB picks because if those teams truly believe the guy they got is a franchise QB than they didn't lose until he busts.

HemiEd
04-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Bears are losers. F##ked up the trade with Ravens, didn't get Baldwin, who they apparently wanted. Carimi should help them, but we'll see. Their WR were among worst in the NFL.

FWIW, Up here in Bears territory, I talked to a "supposed" family friend of Carimi's this morning.
He told me that the Bears thought the Chiefs were going to pick Carimi, and were working out a trade to give Baltimore their 4th, along with their first, as Carimi was their guy.
He also said that Baltimore is still trying to get that 4th round pick out of the Bears, and is in front of the league with the complaint.

Chiefnj2
04-29-2011, 10:04 AM

The Bears didn't want Baldwin.

The God Hypothesis
04-29-2011, 10:04 AM
FWIW, Up here in Bears territory, I talked to a "supposed" family friend of Carimi's this morning.
He told me that the Bears thought the Chiefs were going to pick Carimi, and were working out a trade to give Baltimore their 4th, along with their first, as Carimi was their guy.
He also said that Baltimore is still trying to get that 4th round pick out of the Bears, and is in front of the league with the complaint.

Is he named OnTheWarpath58?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244514&page=8

Der Flöprer
04-29-2011, 10:11 AM

Drunken douchebag posting FTW. FTR, I wouldn't have drafted Locker that high after the senior season he had. But I sure was happy for him last night. He's one of my favorite Huskies of all time just because he came to the program in spite of it being on it's deathbed.

HemiEd
04-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Is he named OnTheWarpath58?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244514&page=8

Do I need to read that whole thread to find the post, or can your narrow it down?

Dicky McElephant
04-29-2011, 10:23 AM
If I'm Pioli.....I'm calling the Lions about Sammie Lee Hill after the draft. He'd be awesome as a NT.

The God Hypothesis
04-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Do I need to read that whole thread to find the post, or can your narrow it down?

Courtesy of OnTheWarpath58:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4438833.story

Quote:
Forget for the time being the Chicago Bears miscalculated what the Kansas City Chiefs planned to do at the end of the first round.

But realize after general manager Jerry Angelo got off the phone following an apology to the Baltimore Ravens, he needed to call Scott Pioli in Kansas City to thank him for not taking his guy.

After all, the Bears' desire to trade with the Baltimore Ravens for the 26th pick Thursday night was born from their belief the Chiefs were targeting Wisconsin offensive tackle Gabe Carimi, the same player they wanted. The Bears agreed on a trade with the Ravens but they failed to follow NFL protocol and the deal fell was never consummated by the league, allowing the Chiefs, who were to pick 27th, to move ahead of the Ravens.It was an embarrassing incident for the Bears that angered the Ravens, but in the end everyone got their man. The Bears wanted to make the trade -- sending the 29th pick and their fourth-round pick (127th overall) to the Ravens for the 26th pick -- because they were convinced the Chiefs were drafting Carimi. Instead, Kansas City chose Pitt wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin.

The Ravens, who were skipped at No. 26 following the snafu, then took Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith at No. 27, the man they wanted. The New Orleans Saints executed a trade with the New England Patriots for the 28th pick and grabbed Alabama running back Mark Ingram. That left Carimi for the Bears at No. 29, giving them the man they coveted and allowing them to keep their fourth-round pick at No. 127. The Ravens, obviously, believe the pick should belong to them after agreeing to the trade.

"There was an agreement between the team and I," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "The other team never got confirmation with the league."

L.A. Chieffan
04-29-2011, 10:33 AM
marc bulger next kurt warner. mark it.

Brock
04-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Drunken douchebag posting FTW. FTR, I wouldn't have drafted Locker that high after the senior season he had. But I sure was happy for him last night. He's one of my favorite Huskies of all time just because he came to the program in spite of it being on it's deathbed.

He played on a pretty terrible team. I think he's going to be way better than Gabbert. (or Newton for that matter)

Der Flöprer
04-29-2011, 11:23 AM
He played on a pretty terrible team. I think he's going to be way better than Gabbert. (or Newton for that matter)

I do too. I always have. He made some poor decisions last year, but he still made a huge jump his junior season. I also know he's an incredibly hard worker. He has all the tools to be the elite QB out of this draft.

Mi_chief_fan
04-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Courtesy of OnTheWarpath58:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4438833.story

Quote:
Forget for the time being the Chicago Bears miscalculated what the Kansas City Chiefs planned to do at the end of the first round.

But realize after general manager Jerry Angelo got off the phone following an apology to the Baltimore Ravens, he needed to call Scott Pioli in Kansas City to thank him for not taking his guy.

After all, the Bears' desire to trade with the Baltimore Ravens for the 26th pick Thursday night was born from their belief the Chiefs were targeting Wisconsin offensive tackle Gabe Carimi, the same player they wanted. The Bears agreed on a trade with the Ravens but they failed to follow NFL protocol and the deal fell was never consummated by the league, allowing the Chiefs, who were to pick 27th, to move ahead of the Ravens.It was an embarrassing incident for the Bears that angered the Ravens, but in the end everyone got their man. The Bears wanted to make the trade -- sending the 29th pick and their fourth-round pick (127th overall) to the Ravens for the 26th pick -- because they were convinced the Chiefs were drafting Carimi. Instead, Kansas City chose Pitt wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin.

The Ravens, who were skipped at No. 26 following the snafu, then took Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith at No. 27, the man they wanted. The New Orleans Saints executed a trade with the New England Patriots for the 28th pick and grabbed Alabama running back Mark Ingram. That left Carimi for the Bears at No. 29, giving them the man they coveted and allowing them to keep their fourth-round pick at No. 127. The Ravens, obviously, believe the pick should belong to them after agreeing to the trade.

"There was an agreement between the team and I," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "The other team never got confirmation with the league."

Of course the Bears are gonna say "we got our guy." What are they going to say? Are they gonna say "Well, we settled, bet we really wanted someone else."

Who knows...

sedated
04-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Its completely retarded to give grades the day after the draft.

Here's a few things people were saying the day after the 2005 draft:

SD - Wide receiver Vincent Jackson was a reach in round two.

JAX - Matt Jones, a WR-TE hybrid freak of nature, was a great first-round pick. He will become a great weapon for Byron Leftwich.

CLE - Perhaps the most important pick Romeo Crennel made was in the third round, when he took QB Charlie Frye, who will be the future of the Browns' organization.

OAK - Quarterback Andrew Walter, taken in the third round, has a powerful arm, and can fit into Oakland's system. Middle linebacker Kirk Morrison was a decent selection in the third round as well. Oakland really hit a home run in round six. They drafted DT Anntaj Hawthorne, DE Ryan Riddle and OT Pete McMahon, all very underrated players.

CIN - Cincinnati's first two picks--DE David Pollack and MLB Odell Thurman--will be stars on the Bengals' defense for a very long time.

DEN - Denver made two solid draft picks. Their second-round selection of Darrent Williams will give them a solid defensive back to pair up with Champ Bailey in the future. I am also a fan of the Maurice Clarett pick.

TEN - Tennessee drafted some good players, but they took them all about a round too early. Cornerback Pacman Jones is the exception, but Antrel Rolle could prove to be the better corner in this draft.

HOU - Houston's draft is headlined by two terrific players. The Texans chose DT Travis Johnson with their first-round pick, while WR Jerome Mathis may have been the steal of the draft in the fourth round.

milkman
04-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Its completely retarded to give grades the day after the draft.

Here's a few things people were saying the day after the 2005 draft:

SD - Wide receiver Vincent Jackson was a reach in round two.

JAX - Matt Jones, a WR-TE hybrid freak of nature, was a great first-round pick. He will become a great weapon for Byron Leftwich.

CLE - Perhaps the most important pick Romeo Crennel made was in the third round, when he took QB Charlie Frye, who will be the future of the Browns' organization.

OAK - Quarterback Andrew Walter, taken in the third round, has a powerful arm, and can fit into Oakland's system. Middle linebacker Kirk Morrison was a decent selection in the third round as well. Oakland really hit a home run in round six. They drafted DT Anntaj Hawthorne, DE Ryan Riddle and OT Pete McMahon, all very underrated players.

CIN - Cincinnati's first two picks--DE David Pollack and MLB Odell Thurman--will be stars on the Bengals' defense for a very long time.

DEN - Denver made two solid draft picks. Their second-round selection of Darrent Williams will give them a solid defensive back to pair up with Champ Bailey in the future. I am also a fan of the Maurice Clarett pick.

TEN - Tennessee drafted some good players, but they took them all about a round too early. Cornerback Pacman Jones is the exception, but Antrel Rolle could prove to be the better corner in this draft.

HOU - Houston's draft is headlined by two terrific players. The Texans chose DT Travis Johnson with their first-round pick, while WR Jerome Mathis may have been the steal of the draft in the fourth round.

JFC, we all know that it takes a year or 3 to really grade a draft, but there's not a damn thing wrong with spending a little time to grade a draft on it's potential.

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Of course the Bears are gonna say "we got our guy." What are they going to say? Are they gonna say "Well, we settled, bet we really wanted someone else."

Who knows...

I'm sorry, I've tried to be nice through this, but some of you are fucking flat-out stupid.

Ever think that BALTIMORE is leaking this information to the media?

Peter King detailed the trade, including the fact that Chicago was on the phone with Carimi while waiting for the trade to go through.

We got our guy, Baltimore got their guy, and Chicago got their guy.

This isn't fucking rocket science, people.

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Before I get to the story of the night, the mega-trade between Cleveland and Atlanta that I'm sure made Sean Payton cringe, an explanation of the weirdness that happened with Baltimore on the clock at pick 26, weirdness that is not over:

Chicago, picking 29th, and Baltimore, at 26, finalized a trade that would have had them switch slots, with the Ravens getting the Bears' fourth-round pick in return. Chicago would take Wisconsin tackle Gabe Carimi, and the Ravens, if Colorado cornerback Jimmy Smith was still on the board, would take Smith at 29. With two minutes left in the Ravens' period, the deal was done. Under NFL rules, each team has to report the trade to NFL draft headquarters at Radio City Music Hall. The Ravens called it in. They assumed Chicago called it in, but due to a miscommunication in the Bears draft room, no one from Chicago ever called the league. As the clock ticked down to zero, and Chicago was on the phone with Carimi to tell him he was going to be their pick, Baltimore noticed no one at the league had announced the trade and Chicago's pick of Carimi. Meanwhile, Kansas City, with the 27th pick, rushed its card to the desk at Radio City, taking Pittsburgh wideout Jonathan Baldwin.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1Kv9hpcwE

Rams Fan
04-29-2011, 04:43 PM

Actually, Hill and Stanton weren't placed on IR(if they were, they wouldn't have started). They all did miss sometime, though.

Anyways, ever think the Lions might pick an OT in Round 2?

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2011, 04:47 PM
The Lions probably should have drafted Amukamara there, but we'll see.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-29-2011, 04:48 PM
I do too. I always have. He made some poor decisions last year, but he still made a huge jump his junior season. I also know he's an incredibly hard worker. He has all the tools to be the elite QB out of this draft.

Dude, you were hating on that guy pretty hard about halfway through last season. I don't see how a bad franchise selecting him too high validates him.