PDA

View Full Version : Misc Smart Car - Ugly or not?

luv
04-29-2011, 09:22 AM
So, I'm sitting at work, and I glance up and see one of these (same color) parked in the lot. The more I look at it, the uglier I think it is.

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/d/45443-1/yellow+smart.jpg

TEX
04-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Very UGLY.

Dr. Facebook Fever
04-29-2011, 09:23 AM
So, I'm sitting at work, and I glance up and see one of these (same color) parked in the lot. The more I look at it, the uglier I think it is.

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/d/45443-1/yellow+smart.jpg

Ugly and don't ever crash.

sedated
04-29-2011, 09:30 AM
beaten with the ugly stick from the aids tree

luv
04-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Thank goodness. The old lady driving it left. It's no longer obstructing my view. :)

CaliforniaChief
04-29-2011, 09:36 AM
I'd rather pay $200 for a 1/4 tank of gas than to drive one of those.

COchief
04-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Ugly and don't ever crash.

Its an extremely safe car with excellent crash ratings. Hurr durr big equal safe!

No I don't own one, but drive an s2000 which is another small but extremely safe vehicle.

Otter
04-29-2011, 09:38 AM
The south end of a north bound mule is prettier than that thing.

blaise
04-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Its an extremely safe car with excellent crash ratings. Hurr durr big equal safe!

No I don't own one, but drive an s2000 which is another small but extremely safe vehicle.

I read somewhere that it's like a little roll cage.

Radar Chief
04-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Ugly? Don’t care.
They’re tiny, I’d need one for each foot and have to wear them like roller skates.

luv
04-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Ugly? Don’t care.
They’re tiny, I’d need one for each foot and have to wear them like roller skates.

LMAO

The Bunk
04-29-2011, 09:45 AM

I had a professor that called them "dumbs". You are almost assured to die if you crash in one of them.

patteeu
04-29-2011, 09:45 AM
I don't think they're ugly, but I think they're scary no matter what the crash ratings are.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 09:48 AM
I own one and am happy with it. 99% of people love it. I get questions at the gas station all the time. In the city, it's easier to maneuver and park. It's already saved my life around 10 times from people cutting me off who would've smashed into my hood (if I had a hood). I wouldn't have it as my only car, but as a second or third car it's fine.

Although, to be honest, at the time I bought it (two years ago) there weren't many other options. The other little cars either were unsafe (Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent) or just had no style (Nissan Versa, Honda Fit). But comparies are catching on to the idea that people like to drive cars with unique style, and Kia came out with the Soul and Nissan the Cube. But they still don't beat the Smart's mileage which--even though it requires 91 octane--averages 40MPG (I get around 36 strict city and 43-46 strict highway, with each tank on average driving ranging from 38-43).

luv
04-29-2011, 09:49 AM
I had a professor that called them "dumbs". You are almost assured to die if you crash in one of them.

If the frame is strong enough, and you're strapped in, you could just go flying along with the car, when someone hits you.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Ugly? Don’t care.

More ignorance. I've let 350+ pound people try sitting in the driver's seat. I have more room in it than in my Saturn. And I'm 6'3" and 250#.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 09:50 AM

More ignorance. They got very good crash-test ratings.

luv
04-29-2011, 09:50 AM
I own one and am happy with it. 99% of people love it. I get questions at the gas station all the time. In the city, it's easier to maneuver and park. It's already saved my life around 10 times from people cutting me off who would've smashed into my hood (if I had a hood). I wouldn't have it as my only car, but as a second or third car it's fine.

Although, to be honest, at the time I bought it (two years ago) there weren't many other options. The other little cars either were unsafe (Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent) or just had no style (Nissan Versa, Honda Fit). But comparies are catching on to the idea that people like to drive cars with unique style, and Kia came out with the Soul and Nissan the Cube. But they still don't beat the Smart's mileage which--even though it requires 91 octane--averages 40MPG (I get around 36 strict city and 43-46 strict highway, with each tank on average driving ranging from 38-43).

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but this car is not what I would consider stylish.

Donger
04-29-2011, 09:51 AM

That thing requires high octane fuel?

LMAO

Fish
04-29-2011, 09:51 AM

Crash test ratings don't tell the whole story though. Crash test ratings are only relative to other cars of the same type. And when you consider the difference in mass, and the low bumper level of the micro cars, those crash ratings don't mean much. You're just not going to have a good outcome when one vehicle weighs 2-3 tons with a bumper height of 30-40", and the other vehicle weighs .3 tons with a bumper height of 12". The physics just don't allow it. This is what you get:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7934/090523smartfatal8194697.jpg

JD10367
04-29-2011, 09:52 AM
If the frame is strong enough, and you're strapped in, you could just go flying along with the car, when someone hits you.

That's exactly what happens. They're so small and strong that they don't really de-form. Almost every time they get into an accident, the other car looks a lot worse.

The frame is basically a roll cage. The engine is in the back where it'll drop out instead of coming through the firewall and crushing you like in a regular car. They have front and side airbags. They have antilock brakes. They have traction control (one of the only small cars to have it). The wheelbase is so short that you literally cannot get t-boned; if you get hit from the side the oncoming vehicle will impact both your front and rear wheel and just push the car (instead of coming into the passenger compartment and killing you). And, again, because it's so small, I've actually avoided a lot of crashes with it.

Mr. Plow
04-29-2011, 09:52 AM
There is someone here in Hutch that has one of these things. I laugh every time I see them driving down the street. lol

luv
04-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Crash test ratings don't tell the whole story though. Crash test ratings are only relative to other cars of the same type. And when you consider the difference in mass, and the low bumper level of the micro cars, those crash ratings don't mean much. You're just not going to have a good outcome when one vehicle weighs 2-3 tons with a bumper height of 30-40", and the other vehicle weighs .3 tons with a bumper height of 12". The physics just don't allow it. This is what you get:

Depending on the surrounding circumstances, I would say that crash would crush nearly any car.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 09:54 AM

Yes, and that's a one-in-a-million crash. Go get in your "regular" car and hit a semi head-on at the rate of speed that happened, see if you fare any better. Or try this website, to see the other side of the story.

http://www.safeandsmart.com/

BTW, I've seen many fatal accidents reported on my local news. I think half of them are SUVs.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 09:56 AM
That thing requires high octane fuel?

LMAO

More ignorance. Yes, it does, because it's a high-performance engine. Just because it's small doesn't mean it's not well-built. It has a 3-cylinder 1-liter engine in the back that looks like it couldn't move a Harley, but it only requires an oil change every 10,000 miles or 1 year.

COchief
04-29-2011, 09:56 AM

That definitely does play a role no doubt, I wouldn't want to get nailed by an expedition or any other land yacht. In a situation like an interstate rollover, I'd much rather be in that than any SUV though.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 09:57 AM
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but this car is not what I would consider stylish.

Well, it's a good thing you didn't buy one, then.

Donger
04-29-2011, 09:57 AM
More ignorance. Yes, it does, because it's a high-performance engine. Just because it's small doesn't mean it's not well-built. It has a 3-cylinder 1-liter engine in the back that looks like it couldn't move a Harley, but it only requires an oil change every 10,000 miles or 1 year.

I'm only laughing because the only reason to drive such a vehicle is to save money on fuel (I presume). But, you have to shell out another $0.20/gallon for premium.

Fish
04-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Can you spot the Smartcar?

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5584/smallcar9072675.jpg

Donger
04-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Can you spot the Smartcar?

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5584/smallcar9072675.jpg

What kind of vehicle is this?

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/attachments/general/64214d1203211053-any-smart-car-owners-buyers-out-there-crash-1_0w.jpg

JD10367
04-29-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm only laughing because the only reason to drive such a vehicle is to save money on fuel (I presume). But, you have to shell out another $0.20/gallon for premium.

Yes, and even doing that the mileage still bests any non-hybrid car. And fuel wasn't the only reason I bought it. When we went to Europe, my wife fell in love with them. They're incredibly easy to maneuver (I can do a u-turn on a one-way street almost, LOL) and park, especially in the city. They sit up high so I don't have to scrape my ass on the ground like when I do getting into my Saturn. And, yes, they make me and my wife--and people who see it--smile and laugh. Mostly good-natured, some ignorant. I've gotten more enjoyment out of driving it around in 2 years than in all my other cars combined, which were/are just plain boxy sedans that are literally unremarkable.

Are they for everyone? Certainly not. I wouldn't have one as my only car, as it has no room for a third/fourth passenger. I wouldn't have one in a place where I did nothing but a lot of highway driving because they move around in the wind due to their light weight. But for city/suburban, and occasional highway (we drive an hour to CT with it routinely), it's great. Just don't hit a pothole, LOL.

morphius
04-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Every time I see one at a stop light I wish I had a couple other guys in my car so we could all jump out and turn it 90 degrees.

Fish
04-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Here's a decent article explaining why Crash Test ratings are pretty much a sham these days, and give consumers a false sense of security.

Part of the reason these Micro cars get good crash test ratings is the fact that they're not expected to be on the highway as much, avoiding more dangerous wrecks....

Size does matter — at least, when it comes to crashworthiness.

The IIHS itself concedes the point; it just doesn’t publicize it — or try to educate consumers. IIHS President Adrian Lund says that the Smart car, being a tiny two-seater designed for in-city use, is not as likely to be used on the highways — and thus, less likely to be involved in a high-speed crash, where its small size could become a huge liability, especially if the impact is with a fixed object such as a telephone pole.
Or a larger, heavier car.

Neither the IIIHS nor the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which does the crash testing for the government, make these disparities clear to the general public. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Each car — from the smallest econobox to the mightiest luxury sedan — gets the same-sounding “good” (or “average”) rating and number of “stars.” But if you think a 5,000 lb. S-Class Mercedes-Benz and a Smart ForTwo are equivalent in terms of their crashworthiness by dint of the fact that both have the same “good” rating and five “stars” — you’d better read the fine print.

A more honest system of rating the crashworthiness of new cars would be based on a single, objective standard — for example, what happens when this car hits a fixed barrier at 40 mph? Not relative to other cars like it — but compared to all others cars on the market, from the smallest to the largest.

Crash test results would not be tricked-up to make smaller, less crashworthy cars seem safer by comparing their performance only with cars that are comparable in size/weight. This way, consumers would clearly understand that a full-size car is almost always going to be much less likely to get you killed in the event of an accident than a compact or subcompact.

Read more: http://blog.motorists.org/when-a-good-crash-test-score-really-isnt-so-great/

Like I said, the physics are not on your side. And you also have to consider the drastic reduction in crumple room compared to a larger sedan. That crumple room in most sedans is a huge factor in keeping the front of the car from ending up on your lap. And the Smartcar has none in the front. That in itself is terrifying....

luv
04-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Safe or not, I just think they're ugly.

Radar Chief
04-29-2011, 10:09 AM
More ignorance. I've let 350+ pound people try sitting in the driver's seat. I have more room in it than in my Saturn. And I'm 6'3" and 250#.

Oh, and you’re so enlightened because you drive a little shit box. :rolleyes:
I’ve sat in one. The seating position and ride can’t be considered “comfortable” even by the vaguest sense of the term. And I’m “only” 6’1” 250# so if you’re actually 6’3” and 250# you must enjoy eating your own knees.

Donger
04-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Yes, and even doing that the mileage still bests any non-hybrid car. And fuel wasn't the only reason I bought it. When we went to Europe, my wife fell in love with them. They're incredibly easy to maneuver (I can do a u-turn on a one-way street almost, LOL) and park, especially in the city. They sit up high so I don't have to scrape my ass on the ground like when I do getting into my Saturn. And, yes, they make me and my wife--and people who see it--smile and laugh. Mostly good-natured, some ignorant. I've gotten more enjoyment out of driving it around in 2 years than in all my other cars combined, which were/are just plain boxy sedans that are literally unremarkable.

Are they for everyone? Certainly not. I wouldn't have one as my only car, as it has no room for a third/fourth passenger. I wouldn't have one in a place where I did nothing but a lot of highway driving because they move around in the wind due to their light weight. But for city/suburban, and occasional highway (we drive an hour to CT with it routinely), it's great. Just don't hit a pothole, LOL.

I'm pretty sure that a Toyota Corolla gets about 37 MPG and doesn't require premium fuel. What is the MPG of the Smart Car?

Radar Chief
04-29-2011, 10:10 AM
What kind of vehicle is this?

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/attachments/general/64214d1203211053-any-smart-car-owners-buyers-out-there-crash-1_0w.jpg

Looks like a Hummer, an H3, the smallest one.

Fish
04-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Hummers are a total piece of shit. Like a tank built from aluminum foil. For as big and intimidating as a Hummer is supposed to be, they just fall apart in a wreck. Civilian Hummers are a complete joke.

Radar Chief
04-29-2011, 10:14 AM

10-15,000 miles is the typical service interval for synthetic oil. Has nothing to do with the engine. What were you saying about “ignorance”?

Frosty
04-29-2011, 10:16 AM
My dad just bought a Ford Fiesta. It is cheaper than a Smart, has a real back seat and he averages 42 mpg on regular unleaded. I really don't see the point of a Smart unless you really like the "look at me!" factor or have trouble finding parking spots.

Radar Chief
04-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Hummers are a total piece of shit. Like a tank built from aluminum foil. For as big and intimidating as a Hummer is supposed to be, they just fall apart in a wreck. Civilian Hummers are a complete joke.

Agreed. The first Hummer, the H1, is a solid rig all the others are cobbled together trash trying to make money on the Hummer name.

luv
04-29-2011, 10:18 AM
My dad just bought a Ford Fiesta. It is cheaper than a Smart, has a real back seat and he averages 42 mpg on regular unleaded. I really don't see the point of a Smart unless you really like the "look at me!" factor or have trouble finding parking spots.

My brother had a Ford Fiesta the first time around that they came out. About 20-22 years ago? First standard I ever tried driving.

Donger
04-29-2011, 10:18 AM

Euro-envy.

Frosty
04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
10-15,000 miles is the typical service interval for synthetic oil. Has nothing to do with the engine. What were you saying about “ignorance”?

Our '06 Honda CR-V only requires oil changes at 10K miles or one year too, on standard oil (5-20). We run synthetic anyway but I think that interval is starting to be standard even on conventional oil.

Frosty
04-29-2011, 10:20 AM
My brother had a Ford Fiesta the first time around that they came out. About 20-22 years ago? First standard I ever tried driving.

We had two back in the early 80's (my dad loved buying weird small cars). The new ones are nothing like those.

Radar Chief
04-29-2011, 10:21 AM

There’s a leopard print one running around C-Town, Mrs. Radar thinks it’s cute. As an economical little way to commute to work and back I’d be fine with her getting one but I wouldn’t dare let her drive the highway with it.

HemiEd
04-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Smart cars are for "look at me, I am retarded and don't care who knows it," people. These same people drove Studebakers and Ramblers in the 50s.

Radar Chief
04-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Our '06 Honda CR-V only requires oil changes at 10K miles or one year too, on standard oil (5-20). We run synthetic anyway but I think that interval is starting to be standard even on conventional oil.

I suppose that’s true, particularly as the oils “weight” keeps getting lighter. Its still about the oil though, not necessarily the engine running it.

Radar Chief
04-29-2011, 10:29 AM
Smart cars are for "look at me, I am retarded and don't care who knows it," people. These same people drove Studebakers and Ramblers in the 50s.

Remember the VW Thing? :Lin:

burt
04-29-2011, 10:30 AM

The Fiesta SFE is rated 40 mpg on the highway. And that is NOT a real back seat unless you are a midget.

On a lighter note, the new Ford Focus DOES have a real back seat and the SFE model is also rated @ 40 mpg on the highway.

Lastly, I like the Smart car. I would enjoy having it because of its short wheel base and handling. But I am the only one in my family that likes them. To each their own!

Frosty
04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
FTR, I don't have anything against small cars. I would love to have an original Mini. However, it just seems like they dropped the ball with the Smart. It should get much better mileage for its size, use regular gas and have a better warranty (2 years/24K miles? Is this 1975?).

Brock
04-29-2011, 10:33 AM
They're crap.

Frosty
04-29-2011, 10:34 AM
The Fiesta SFE is rated 40 mpg on the highway. And that is NOT a real back seat unless you are a midget.

Whatever. My dad tracks his mileage, so we are talking real world, not some rating. If you drive like an idiot, you will get less but that's true with any car.

Not long after they bought it, my mom and dad drove up to Banff to pick up my brother and his wife (none are midgets) and drove back to Spokane with all four and all of their luggage. They averaged over 40 mpg on that trip, despite having shitty roads.

Radar Chief
04-29-2011, 10:35 AM
They're crap.

/Stuart Mackenzie

Fish
04-29-2011, 10:37 AM
FTR, I don't have anything against small cars. I would love to have an original Mini. However, it just seems like they dropped the ball with the Smart. It should get much better mileage for its size, use regular gas and have a better warranty (2 years/24K miles? Is this 1975?).

2 years/24K miles?

Seriously???

ROFL

burt
04-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Whatever. My dad tracks his mileage, so we are talking real world, not some rating. If you drive like an idiot, you will get less but that's true with any car.

Not long after they bought it, my mom and dad drove up to Banff to pick up my brother and his wife (none are midgets) and drove back to Spokane with all four and all of their luggage. They averaged over 40 mpg on that trip, despite having shitty roads.

kind of interesting to have amputees for a brother and sister in law, I imagine.........

Frosty
04-29-2011, 10:40 AM
2 years/24K miles?

Seriously???

ROFL

http://www.automotive.com/new-cars/warranty/01/smart/index.html

Frosty
04-29-2011, 10:40 AM
kind of interesting to have amputees for a brother and sister in law, I imagine.........

:rolleyes:

JD10367
04-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Like I said, the physics are not on your side. And you also have to consider the drastic reduction in crumple room compared to a larger sedan. That crumple room in most sedans is a huge factor in keeping the front of the car from ending up on your lap. And the Smartcar has none in the front. That in itself is terrifying....

You're clearly in the camp of "I think it's unsafe and tiny and I hate it", so all the talking in the world won't change your mind. Don't buy one.

COchief
04-29-2011, 10:44 AM

I feel sorry for the smartcar owner as this is exactly the case. It is only a gimick car, 90% of the time I see one parked in Denver, it is in some stupid spot where the owner feels cool cause he can "park it sideways", the interior room is atrocious, they are an extremely poor value, the gas mileage is sub par and overall the car gets its ass kicked by about 20 current models for price/mpg/space, a Honda fit blows away the smart car in everything but "look at me, I'm a unique little flower".

But they are fairly safe for their size, and as long as the owners don't try to argue their logic with anything other than "its fun and different and I like it" it's cool with me.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Oh, and you’re so enlightened because you drive a little shit box. :rolleyes:
I’ve sat in one. The seating position and ride can’t be considered “comfortable” even by the vaguest sense of the term. And I’m “only” 6’1” 250# so if you’re actually 6’3” and 250# you must enjoy eating your own knees.

If you sit in a Smart car you don't "eat your knees". My knees don't touch the steering wheel or dashboard. Another hater with an agenda (hence the "shitbox" comment). Try putting the seat back next time, genius.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty sure that a Toyota Corolla gets about 37 MPG and doesn't require premium fuel. What is the MPG of the Smart Car?

The Corolla starts at a more expensive base rate and according to their ad gets 28/35.

Mine averages 40, probably splitting 36/44 give or take.

Frosty
04-29-2011, 10:48 AM
But they are fairly safe for their size, and as long as the owners don't try to argue their logic with anything other than "its fun and different and I like it" it's cool with me.

Absolutely. JD gets defensive about his but if he likes it, who cares what he owns? I like small cars and am just disappointed because I think they blew the potential with this one.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM

You all do realize the Smart has been tooling around Europe for a decade now, right? It's not a brand-new car. They simply brought it to America.

And, yes, the warranty was low. I sprang to extend it to 5/60 (around $900, also includes a rental car).

vailpass
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM

:LOL: 99% of people love it? It has saved your life "around 10 times"?
You drive an ugly roller skate that is in danger of being run over at any given time and that most people wouldn't own if you paid them.
Stop making things up to make yourself feel better about it.

HemiEd
04-29-2011, 10:56 AM
:LOL: 99% of people love it? It has saved your life "around 10 times"?
You drive an ugly roller skate that is in danger of being run over at any given time and that most people wouldn't own if you paid them.
Stop making things up to make yourself feel better about it.

I think he confusing "loving it" with the "who farted in this room?" look. I look at them with amusement, as they are amusing.

It saved his life, because if anything actually hit him, he WOULD be DEAD. I think his own reactions saved his life, not the car.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 10:58 AM
I feel sorry for the smartcar owner as this is exactly the case. It is only a gimick car . . .

No it isn't.

. . . 90% of the time I see one parked in Denver, it is in some stupid spot where the owner feels cool cause he can "park it sideways" . . .

That owner's a douchebag.

. . . the interior room is atrocious . . .

No it isn't.

. . . they are an extremely poor value . . .

Please back that up with some facts.

. . . the gas mileage is sub par and overall the car gets its ass kicked by about 20 current models for price/mpg/space, a Honda fit blows away the smart car in everything but "look at me, I'm a unique little flower".n

As I've said multiple times, it gets the best MPG of any non-hybrid car. There are no "20 models" with better MPG. The base Smart is around 14k, so please find me the cars that "blow it away" in price.

No, I try to argue logic when people spew misinformed shit about the car. I didn't start this thread. I'm just sick and tired of people blathering about how unsafe it is and shit like that when they've never even sat in one or done any research.

It's definitey a niche car. It has no backseat. It moves around in the wind. Every pothole is like a crater. It takes 91 octane. The warranty sucks ass. But it's pretty safe, it's great on mileage, it's the easiest car to park and turn and drive (especially in the city), it's an eye-catching conversation piece, it has a paddle-shifting automated-manual, it has a clear see-through roof... It's definitely a car you have to "drive", you don't just get in and put it in D and forget you're in a car. It's akin to the old VW Beetle, I'd say.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 10:59 AM
It saved his life, because if anything actually hit him, he WOULD be DEAD. I think his own reactions saved his life, not the car.

More ignorance. Did you click on the website I linked? Probably not.

I honestly don't give a fuck who here likes it or not. I just don't like misinformation.

luv
04-29-2011, 11:03 AM
No, I try to argue logic when people spew misinformed shit about the car. I didn't start this thread. I'm just sick and tired of people blathering about how unsafe it is and shit like that when they've never even sat in one or done any research.

It's definitey a niche car. It has no backseat. It moves around in the wind. Every pothole is like a crater. It takes 91 octane. The warranty sucks ass. But it's pretty safe, it's great on mileage, it's the easiest car to park and turn and drive (especially in the city), it's an eye-catching conversation piece, it has a paddle-shifting automated-manual, it has a clear see-through roof... It's definitely a car you have to "drive", you don't just get in and put it in D and forget you're in a car. It's akin to the old VW Beetle, I'd say.

If it helps, I only started it because, staring at one for a little while, I just think they're funny looking. I had no idea the board would be so divided...lol.

Frosty
04-29-2011, 11:05 AM
If it helps, I only started it because, staring at one for a little while, I just think they're funny looking. I had no idea the board would be so divided...lol.

The board isn't really divided. There is JD and then there is everyone else.

:)

burt
04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
The board isn't really divided. There is JD and then there is everyone else.

:)

and burt.

HemiEd
04-29-2011, 11:10 AM
I honestly don't give a **** who here likes it or not.

:LOL: http://i53.tinypic.com/157bpfo.jpg

Bowser
04-29-2011, 11:12 AM
The problem with cars on the road, whatever the model, isn't the car themselves, but the complete fucking moron sitting behind the wheel. Generally speaking.

ClevelandBronco
04-29-2011, 11:12 AM
The Smart would come close to fitting inside my vehicle if I had more headroom, but I'll check one out the next time I'm in the market. I think it looks great for an athletic shoe.

ClevelandBronco
04-29-2011, 11:13 AM

Those things are beautiful.

vailpass
I think he confusing "loving it" with the "who farted in this room?" look. I look at them with amusement, as they are amusing.

Howdy Ed. Yes, you are probably correct. It's kinda cute how he defends his euro-trash car though. Maybe he is on to something. Think I'll get one of those smart cars and keep it in the glove box of the Yukon XL in case of emergency.

burt

lol, yeah, I like that too!

COchief
04-29-2011, 11:14 AM

I think this is close enough to "different and I like it".

I was talking about cars offering mpg/price/space combo value. Not all three separately. This article seems to sum up the bottom line about the smartcar very well:

"As a two-seater with slow acceleration, premium fuel requirements and a small cargo area, most car shoppers will cross the 2011 Smart ForTwo off their list quickly and look for alternatives with better safety scores and more space. There are a number of cars that meet these requirements.

The Ford Fiesta and Honda Fit are press favorites with good fuel economy ratings, comfortable seating for five and plenty of cargo space. They do cost a few thousand more than the base ForTwo -- the Fiesta starts at $13,320 and the Fit starts at $14,900 -- but you get a lot more space and standard features. Both have good safety ratings; the Fiesta is even a “2010 Top Safety Pick.” Both the Fit and Fiesta are also great for the urban commute as well as highway driving."

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Smart_ForTwo/

COchief
04-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Howdy Ed. Yes, you are probably correct. It's kinda cute how he defends his euro-trash car though. Maybe he is on to something. Think I'll get one of those smart cars and keep it in the glove box of the Yukon XL in case of emergency.

Tiny penis detected!

You should be driving a Subie, the best CO mtn cars by a mile.

Fish
04-29-2011, 11:20 AM
You're clearly in the camp of "I think it's unsafe and tiny and I hate it", so all the talking in the world won't change your mind. Don't buy one.

Well.... I'm in good company then, since the President of the IIHS(That's the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) seems to agree with me that the car's size makes it a huge liability...

IIHS President Adrian Lund says that the Smart car, being a tiny two-seater designed for in-city use, is not as likely to be used on the highways — and thus, less likely to be involved in a high-speed crash, where its small size could become a huge liability, especially if the impact is with a fixed object such as a telephone pole.
Or a larger, heavier car.

I'll take the word of the Prez of the IIHS over a butthurt defensive owner, thanks....

HemiEd
04-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Those things are beautiful.

They have quite a following now, and the prices for them are crazy.

They too were the butt of jokes in their time, much like the smart car is today.

I don't think the resemblence is a coincidence. The Isetta was made by BMW.

Simplex3
04-29-2011, 11:23 AM

I get mid to high 30's in my '08 Civic and get to use the cheapest gas at the pump. And I have 4 seats and a trunk.

burt
04-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Well.... I'm in good company then, since the President of the IIHS(That's the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) seems to agree with me that the car's size makes it a huge liability...

I'll take the word of the Prez of the IIHS over a butthurt defensive owner, thanks....

typical. Because someone has a differing view, he must be butt hurt, and a moran......

vailpass
04-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Tiny penis detected!

You should be driving a Subie, the best CO mtn cars by a mile.

:spock: You enjoy that, NTTAWWI

Radar Chief
04-29-2011, 11:30 AM
If you sit in a Smart car you don't "eat your knees". My knees don't touch the steering wheel or dashboard. Another hater with an agenda (hence the "shitbox" comment). Try putting the seat back next time, genius.

Then your claim of being “6’3” and 250#” is :BS:.

Simplex3
04-29-2011, 11:30 AM

Here's something smaller.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/tiny-apeel

Rain Man
04-29-2011, 11:32 AM
I'd consider one of these as a second car given my family's driving patterns. On the few occasions where we need a second car, one of us would likely be driving in the city on low-speed streets. However, I'd probably pay a little more and get a Mini-Cooper because I like their looks a lot more. Or truthfully, I'd buy a Delorean over either of those options. It'd be a better investment and the maintenance wouldn't be an issue on a 1,000 mile a year car.

Radar Chief
04-29-2011, 11:34 AM

Edit: never mind, Simplex beat me to it.

burt
04-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Edit: never mind, Simplex beat me to it.

Not the same car...... but damn funny.

Rain Man
04-29-2011, 11:43 AM

That is indeed a small car. At about 2:25 it looked like that speed bump was going to flip it, and there was one other time when he made a turn that it looked dicey.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-29-2011, 11:44 AM

If you read JD's post, he said they bought it 2 years ago before many of the current options were available.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-29-2011, 11:49 AM
I'd consider one of these as a second car given my family's driving patterns. On the few occasions where we need a second car, one of us would likely be driving in the city on low-speed streets. However, I'd probably pay a little more and get a Mini-Cooper because I like their looks a lot more. Or truthfully, I'd buy a Delorean over either of those options. It'd be a better investment and the maintenance wouldn't be an issue on a 1,000 mile a year car.

Having seen a couple of car shows with Deloreans on them, they are far from an investment.

Frosty
04-29-2011, 11:53 AM
If you read JD's post, he said they bought it 2 years ago before many of the current options were available.

They still sell new Smart cars, right? I wasn't talking about JD's choice. I don't care what he drives.

FTR, even two years ago, a Fit or a Versa would have given you more room at close to the mileage (on regular gas).

JD10367
04-29-2011, 11:53 AM

Okay, now THAT thing is actually REALLY COOL. I'd love to drive one around, although I'd never get above 20MPH with it (if it can even do it, LOL) and I'd stick to the neighborhoods. The Smart is basically an enclosed motorcycle; that thing is more like an enclosed bicycle.

patteeu
04-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Depending on the surrounding circumstances, I would say that crash would crush nearly any car.

Not all cars are equal. The results of such a crash wouldn't be equal either.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 11:58 AM
I think this is close enough to "different and I like it".

I was talking about cars offering mpg/price/space combo value. Not all three separately. This article seems to sum up the bottom line about the smartcar very well:

"As a two-seater with slow acceleration, premium fuel requirements and a small cargo area, most car shoppers will cross the 2011 Smart ForTwo off their list quickly and look for alternatives with better safety scores and more space. There are a number of cars that meet these requirements.

The Ford Fiesta and Honda Fit are press favorites with good fuel economy ratings, comfortable seating for five and plenty of cargo space. They do cost a few thousand more than the base ForTwo -- the Fiesta starts at $13,320 and the Fit starts at $14,900 -- but you get a lot more space and standard features. Both have good safety ratings; the Fiesta is even a “2010 Top Safety Pick.” Both the Fit and Fiesta are also great for the urban commute as well as highway driving."

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Smart_ForTwo/

Unfortunately, most of the "article writers" have their heads up their ass too.

#1: there's decent cargo space in the back. Not for a third or fourth person, LOL, for sure. But I can fit as much grocery shopping as I want in the "trunk".

#2: they throw out the phrase "better safety scores" without backing it up.

#3: they throw out "standard features" without backing it up. The Ford Fiesta they mention? Does that car have antilock brakes, side airbags, traction control, a CD player, power windows and door locks, etc.,.? Doubt it.

(When the Smart first came out, the reviewers didn't even bother to do their homework and, to this day, requote each other about the "clunky automatic transmission". Without bothering to note that it's NOT an automatic transmission, it's a manual with computer-clutching. Of course it won't feel as smooth as an automatic. Because it isn't.)

burt
04-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Okay, now THAT thing is actually REALLY COOL. I'd love to drive one around, although I'd never get above 20MPH with it (if it can even do it, LOL) and I'd stick to the neighborhoods. The Smart is basically an enclosed motorcycle; that thing is more like an enclosed bicycle.

I'd like to see Jonathan Baldwin attempt to drive that!

Frosty
04-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Okay, now THAT thing is actually REALLY COOL.

They are pretty cool. Have you seen the Depeche Mode video where Gahan is tooling around in an Isetta?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snILjFUkk_A

burt
04-29-2011, 12:02 PM
#3: they throw out "standard features" without backing it up. The Ford Fiesta they mention? Does that car have antilock brakes, yes side airbags,yes traction control, a CD player,yes power windows yes and door locks, yes etc.,yes.? Doubt it.

Sorry, JD. I sell 'em.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 12:06 PM

Good. Take his word. Don't buy one. You want applause? He's ignorant too. If he's in charge of the IIHS he might actually want to look at how the IIHS rates the Smart. It ranks equal to the Fit and higher than the Yaris and Mini Cooper. (They give the Smart GGGA for front, side, rollover, and rear. For minicars the ONLY car with a four "G" rating is the Fiesta. The Honda Fit is GGAG. The Yaris is GGAM, the Mini Cooper GAAG, the Accent and Rio and Aveo are horribly rated.)

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=90

Rain Man
04-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Having seen a couple of car shows with Deloreans on them, they are far from an investment.

What do you mean? Are they declining?

Maybe they're not appreciating at the moment, but they're not depreciating, and they have a better chance of holding their value or increasing than any new car, I would think.

When I bought my BMW, I also took a look at a 1982 DeLorean for about the same price. I was sorely tempted, but at the time I needed an everyday driver and didn't think it was a fit for that.

Frosty
04-29-2011, 12:07 PM
The Ford Fiesta they mention? Does that car have antilock brakes, side airbags, traction control, a CD player, power windows and door locks, etc.,.? Doubt it.

The base mode has all of that except for power windows. For $14K, you can move up one model and get the power windows and even more features.

Demonpenz
04-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Big Daddy drives an escalade and puts his kid in a Smartcar and puts the smart car in the escalade.

pr_capone
04-29-2011, 12:09 PM

Your prof seems to be the dumb one here.

http://www.greencar.com/articles/smart-car-offers-drivers-new-high-mpg-option-top-crash-rating.php

Those who have followed the development of Daimler AG's tiny and trendy microcar, the smart (lower case intentional), have surely wondered about this vehicle's safety. Now they need wonder no more. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) recently crash tested the 2008 smart fortwo and found it performed so well it earned the Institute's best ratings for front and side crash protection. Plus, its rear crash worthiness was rated as "acceptable," the Institute's second-highest rating.

JD10367
I get mid to high 30's in my '08 Civic and get to use the cheapest gas at the pump. And I have 4 seats and a trunk.

Aside from the Civic costing $10,000 more, and being a car that's actually DESIGNED to have four seats, and being a car in a totally different weight/size class, your comment and comparison are totally valid.

burt
What do you mean? Are they declining?

Maybe they're not appreciating at the moment, but they're not depreciating, and they have a better chance of holding their value or increasing than any new car, I would think.

When I bought my BMW, I also took a look at a 1982 DeLorean for about the same price. I was sorely tempted, but at the time I needed an everyday driver and didn't think it was a fit for that.

Just as well, DeLorean's don't come in Apricot........

JD10367
04-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Then your claim of being “6’3” and 250#” is :BS:.

I've been driving one for two and a half years. You sat in it but were too retarded to put the seat back. I wonder which one of us is right.

burt
04-29-2011, 12:11 PM
I've been driving one for two and a half years. You sat in it but were too retarded to put the seat back. I wonder which one of us is right.

NOW you are starting to sound butt hurt........

Frosty
04-29-2011, 12:12 PM
The base mode has all of that except for power windows. For $14K, you can move up one model and get the power windows and even more features.

My bad - they also don't have a CD player, though the stock stereo has an Aux input (seriously, who still plays CDs in their car?).

JD10367
04-29-2011, 12:12 PM
I'd consider one of these as a second car given my family's driving patterns. On the few occasions where we need a second car, one of us would likely be driving in the city on low-speed streets. However, I'd probably pay a little more and get a Mini-Cooper because I like their looks a lot more.

The Mini Cooper is basically a tiny sportscar. For the price of one well-stocked Mini, you can buy two Smarts. It's sort of apples and oranges aside from the size.

Rain Man
04-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Just as well, DeLorean's don't come in Apricot........

Good point. I wonder if I can paint it.

Rain Man
04-29-2011, 12:15 PM
The Mini Cooper is basically a tiny sportscar. For the price of one well-stocked Mini, you can buy two Smarts. It's sort of apples and oranges aside from the size.

Yeah, they seem different, and the last car show I was at the Smart was something like $17K and the Mini was something like $25k. I'll just go with the DeLorean and recognize that there'll be an added hassle factor of keeping the chicks from trying to climb in.

JD10367
04-29-2011, 12:16 PM

No, I'm just tiring of ignorance and stupidity. As I said, I've been driving it for over two years and my knee has never touched dashboard or steering wheel, so for him to say that "I sat in it and ate my knees" is simply absolute bullshit. I've let 350-pound people sit in the car with no problems. Howie Mandel even gave one away to a fatty on "Deal Or No Deal" by telling the guy if he fit in it he could have it, and the guy fit in it easy. I think there's also a video of some NFL player who bought one.

Frosty
04-29-2011, 12:20 PM
#3: they throw out "standard features" without backing it up. The Ford Fiesta they mention? Does that car have antilock brakes, side airbags, traction control, a CD player, power windows and door locks, etc.,.? Doubt it.

By the way, according to this (http://www.smart.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/mpc-us-content-Site/en_EN/-/USD/Smart_CC-Line), you don't get that stuff on a base Smart. You have to move up to the $15K mid-level model to get all of that, so your pricing arguments (a Civic $10,000 more, two Smarts for the price of a Mini, etc) aren't valid.

Fish
04-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Good. Take his word. Don't buy one. You want applause? He's ignorant too. If he's in charge of the IIHS he might actually want to look at how the IIHS rates the Smart. It ranks equal to the Fit and higher than the Yaris and Mini Cooper. (They give the Smart GGGA for front, side, rollover, and rear. For minicars the ONLY car with a four "G" rating is the Fiesta. The Honda Fit is GGAG. The Yaris is GGAM, the Mini Cooper GAAG, the Accent and Rio and Aveo are horribly rated.)

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=90

LMAO

So you're saying the president of the organization that gave you those ratings is ignorant? And then you turn around and use the actual IIHS ratings in an attempt to prove why the president of the IIHS is ignorant?

LMAO

Did you read any of the article I posted which explains why those ratings you're harping about don't relate to real on the road scenarios or actual safety?

Whatever bud.... From the posts in this thread, it's clear that most folks understand. Enjoy your car...

ClevelandBronco
04-29-2011, 12:42 PM
They have quite a following now, and the prices for them are crazy.

They too were the butt of jokes in their time, much like the smart car is today.

I don't think the resemblence is a coincidence. The Isetta was made by BMW.

Yeah, I shopped them about a decade ago. Probably should have picked up a project back then. It would have been fun piecing the thing together.

RedNeckRaider
05-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Here's a decent article explaining why Crash Test ratings are pretty much a sham these days, and give consumers a false sense of security.

Part of the reason these Micro cars get good crash test ratings is the fact that they're not expected to be on the highway as much, avoiding more dangerous wrecks....

Read more: http://blog.motorists.org/when-a-good-crash-test-score-really-isnt-so-great/

But...but this guy is saving the planet. Quit talking facts or you will be called ignerent!

Radar Chief
05-15-2011, 06:15 PM

Starting?

No, I'm a fanboy true believer that'll throw an interweb hissy over a freak'n car nobody cares about. Smart car iz teh PWNS!!!!ONE!

You shouldn't get so emotionally invested in an inanimate object. You'll eventually find the relationship to be a bit one sided.

JD10367
05-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Starting?

You shouldn't get so emotionally invested in an inanimate object. You'll eventually find the relationship to be a bit one sided.

Just like you should mind your own business and go fuck yourself, instead of being a troublestarting douchebag who purposefully dredges up a dead thread simply to insult and aggravate.

Bwana
05-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Ugly, yes, safe, no.

Frazod
05-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Just like you should mind your own business and go fuck yourself, instead of being a troublestarting douchebag who purposefully dredges up a dead thread simply to insult and aggravate.

Actually, RedNeckRaider dredged it up, he just commented on it a few minutes later.

I guess you were too butthurt to notice. LMAO

Al Bundy
05-15-2011, 07:19 PM
I see one of those things every once in a while on my way to work. They are ugly as sin.

Radar Chief
05-15-2011, 08:21 PM

That was actually RedNeckRaider, and you're getting all worked up on your own.
Sorry I think you car sucks but that opinion isn't going to change any time soon. Can I still expect a Christmas Card?

Donger
05-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Heh.

I have a confession to make: I officially hate the Smart car.

I don't use that word lightly, and in today's world it takes a special kind of car to earn the "H" word from me, as almost every car is at least "fine" and the majority of them are "good" or better.

Maybe that's why I hate the Smart car so much. It's not even mediocre.

I drove home the Brabus version of a Smart convertible last week, and before I was 5 miles into my 50-mile (each way) commute I was annoyed at myself for picking the vehicle to take home. See, when you have a 5- or 10- or even 50-mile round-trip commute you can put up with a pretty rotten vehicle. But when I pick a car to take home I've committed to at least a 100-mile journey before taking a single side trip or wrong turn. That's a long distance over which to experience a bad car.

And make no mistake, these are just terrible cars. Do you want to talk ride quality? Do you want to talk seating position and ergonomics? Do you want to talk power? Do you want to talk stability? And let's please not talk about the transmission.

Actually, it doesn't really matter what you want to talk about because they are all atrocious in the Smart. Just to be clear: they aren't bad, or sub-par or disappointing. They're atrocious.

I should specify that I don't hate the car simply because it's the antithesis of a powerful performance car or high-end luxury car. The Honda Insight is the antithesis of those vehicles, and I like it. Same with the Jetta Diesel. BTW, both of those cars get better fuel mileage than a Smart, too.

Which brings up the worst part of the Smart: it's not just atrocious, it's unnecessarily atrocious. You can get roughly the same fuel mileage, plus twice the seating capacity, better ride quality, better ergonmics, quicker (and smoother) acceleration, better high-speed stability and (in my not-so-humble opinion) better styling FOR THE SAME OR LESS MONEY in several other vehicles.

Do you know what it means when you can buy multiple vehicles with universal advantages at a cheaper price than a specific car? It means that specific car has no reason to exist. And please don't start in with the "It's not supposed to be an exciting, compelling car, it's supposed to be a city car for people who need something small to get around in!" You mean like a cheaper, better, Hyundai Accent? Or Chevy Aveo? Or Toyota Yaris? Once again, better cars in every way (often by huge margins) compared to the Smart.

I'm not writing this just to be mean or to pick on the Smart. I have the unique opportunity to communicate with a large number of people who are often in a car-buying mood, so I say all this for your benefit. Please, no matter how much you think your situation lines up with the Smart's characteristics, DON'T EVER BUY THIS CAR! You can do better with anything else on the market, and that's true no matter how you slice the deal.

"Oh Karl, you've obviously got an irrational loathing for the Smart and are thus incapable of seeing its positive aspects."

No, I've got a rational loathing for it based on its pointless existence. To prove it, I'll describe a Smart car I wouldn't hate. It would get at least 50 mpg in real-world driving, have a transmission that doesn't threaten whiplash with each shift, and it wouldn't cost a cent more than the current version. Oh believe me, I still wouldn't buy such a car, but at least it would have enough clear advantages over several existing economy cars it wouldn't be a pointless excercise (as it is in its current form).

Maybe that's why the Smart division has never made a profit. I keep wondering how long Daimler is going to support this money-losing excercise. Saturn lasted roughly 20 years before GM pulled the plug. Let's hope Daimler is "smarter" than GM and puts this vehicle out of our misery, post-haste.

We're about to sell our long-term Smart. Three words: Door. Knob. Butt.

Valiant
05-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Heh.

I have a confession to make: I officially hate the Smart car.

I don't use that word lightly, and in today's world it takes a special kind of car to earn the "H" word from me, as almost every car is at least "fine" and the majority of them are "good" or better.

Maybe that's why I hate the Smart car so much. It's not even mediocre.

I drove home the Brabus version of a Smart convertible last week, and before I was 5 miles into my 50-mile (each way) commute I was annoyed at myself for picking the vehicle to take home. See, when you have a 5- or 10- or even 50-mile round-trip commute you can put up with a pretty rotten vehicle. But when I pick a car to take home I've committed to at least a 100-mile journey before taking a single side trip or wrong turn. That's a long distance over which to experience a bad car.

And make no mistake, these are just terrible cars. Do you want to talk ride quality? Do you want to talk seating position and ergonomics? Do you want to talk power? Do you want to talk stability? And let's please not talk about the transmission.

Actually, it doesn't really matter what you want to talk about because they are all atrocious in the Smart. Just to be clear: they aren't bad, or sub-par or disappointing. They're atrocious.

I should specify that I don't hate the car simply because it's the antithesis of a powerful performance car or high-end luxury car. The Honda Insight is the antithesis of those vehicles, and I like it. Same with the Jetta Diesel. BTW, both of those cars get better fuel mileage than a Smart, too.

Which brings up the worst part of the Smart: it's not just atrocious, it's unnecessarily atrocious. You can get roughly the same fuel mileage, plus twice the seating capacity, better ride quality, better ergonmics, quicker (and smoother) acceleration, better high-speed stability and (in my not-so-humble opinion) better styling FOR THE SAME OR LESS MONEY in several other vehicles.

Do you know what it means when you can buy multiple vehicles with universal advantages at a cheaper price than a specific car? It means that specific car has no reason to exist. And please don't start in with the "It's not supposed to be an exciting, compelling car, it's supposed to be a city car for people who need something small to get around in!" You mean like a cheaper, better, Hyundai Accent? Or Chevy Aveo? Or Toyota Yaris? Once again, better cars in every way (often by huge margins) compared to the Smart.

I'm not writing this just to be mean or to pick on the Smart. I have the unique opportunity to communicate with a large number of people who are often in a car-buying mood, so I say all this for your benefit. Please, no matter how much you think your situation lines up with the Smart's characteristics, DON'T EVER BUY THIS CAR! You can do better with anything else on the market, and that's true no matter how you slice the deal.

"Oh Karl, you've obviously got an irrational loathing for the Smart and are thus incapable of seeing its positive aspects."

No, I've got a rational loathing for it based on its pointless existence. To prove it, I'll describe a Smart car I wouldn't hate. It would get at least 50 mpg in real-world driving, have a transmission that doesn't threaten whiplash with each shift, and it wouldn't cost a cent more than the current version. Oh believe me, I still wouldn't buy such a car, but at least it would have enough clear advantages over several existing economy cars it wouldn't be a pointless excercise (as it is in its current form).

Maybe that's why the Smart division has never made a profit. I keep wondering how long Daimler is going to support this money-losing excercise. Saturn lasted roughly 20 years before GM pulled the plug. Let's hope Daimler is "smarter" than GM and puts this vehicle out of our misery, post-haste.

We're about to sell our long-term Smart. Three words: Door. Knob. Butt.

Soo Smart Cars are the Wnba of the US vehicle world??

notorious
05-15-2011, 10:00 PM
I wonder which person would survive in a wreck with that thing.

The Jahova's Witness or the Smart Car driver.

Simply Red
05-15-2011, 10:21 PM
OK let's don't go all 'that poster from 2006' that posted that wreck thread JESUS, enough. Does anyone else happen to remember that debacle w/ the troll that posted the thread around 2006 which hotlinked - like pics of body parts etc.. from the wreck? Good god that was sick, thinking back a ways. :huh:

Baconeater
05-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Wrecks and body parts...coming up.

Simply Red
05-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Wrecks and body parts...coming up.

it wasn't you. :LOL: do you remember that though?

Baconeater
05-15-2011, 10:26 PM
it wasn't you. :LOL: do you remember that though?
Are you talking about Midnight Vulture's thread where someone posted pics of a motorcyclist who slammed into the back of a semitrailer?

Frazod
05-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Kind of reminds me of the ethanol scam. Naive people buying pointless products that in the end accomplish nothing but making their producers rich.

Barnum would have loved the smart car. And ethanol.

Al Bundy
05-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Are you talking about Midnight Vulture's thread where someone posted pics of a motorcyclist who slammed into the back of a semitrailer?

Sweet Jesus.

Simply Red
05-15-2011, 10:34 PM
No it was a free standing thread - @ least IIRC - I def. could be mistaken and you may totally be correct - but something a LONG LONG time ago was posted and it was in the middle of the day and everyone lost their minds about it - I was selling phones for AT&T when I saw the pics, so it'd have had to have been in 06 - or early 07 (latest) - but it definitely WAS CP.

Frazod
05-15-2011, 10:35 PM
I remember that one. The guy is just dangling by his head. Ewwwww.

CrazyPhuD
05-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Kind of reminds me of the ethanol scam. Naive people buying pointless products that in the end accomplish nothing but making their producers rich.

Barnum would have loved the smart car. And ethanol.

Now now now ethanol is not entirely a scam. As an energy independence thing sure....but as a power adder it can be awesome! You get oxygen with your fuel so it's like adding displacement plus it's got a ton of effective octane allowing you to either boost the compression or the boost! I only wish there were more stations around me. Here I live in green fag central and the closest practical e85 station is 30miles away!

Baconeater
05-15-2011, 10:40 PM
I remember that one. The guy is just dangling by his head. Ewwwww.
Yeah I'm not remembering that one...can someone throw up a link?

Rain Man
05-15-2011, 10:41 PM
I think Smart Cars are fine looking vehicles. I'd rather have a car that's noticeable than a car that's generic. Man, have you looked at the modern Toyotas these days? You'll probably say no, but I suspect that you've seen them and haven't noticed because there is absolutely nothing notable about any vehicle in the Toyota line. They may have produced the most boring line of vehicles the past few years of any car company at any time other than AMC.

Smart Cars aren't for all markets, I don't think. If I lived in a 'burb and commuted on a highway, I probably wouldn't want one. If I lived in the middle of a big city that had tight parking, it'd be a great choice. I'm in San Francisco right now and have seen quite a few Smart Cars, and this is the perfect environment for them. I think the advantage of a Smart Car is exclusively parking, more so than any other argument, so comparing it to other vehicles (other than maybe a Mini Cooper) isn't really relevant.

CrazyPhuD
05-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Soo Smart Cars are the Wnba of the US vehicle world??

Smart cars are only tolerable when you put a hayabusa motor in them, otherwise it's like masturbation without the payoff.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sLtMh20qIp8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod
05-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Yeah I'm not remembering that one...can someone throw up a link?

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4386/wowosx.jpg

CrazyPhuD
05-15-2011, 10:50 PM
OK thread kill......literally......

Frazod
05-15-2011, 10:51 PM
OK thread kill......literally......

According to the link, the guy survived.

http://www.sythe.org/showthread.php?t=925946

CrazyPhuD
05-15-2011, 10:55 PM

I guess it just goes to show you, remaining calm in an accident and not losing your head is the key to getting out of it in one piece.

Radar Chief
05-15-2011, 11:02 PM

I know that one, it was in the Tulsa area.
Kid and his buddy died within a week of each other basically doing the same thing, popping wheelies through traffic like jackasses.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/tulsacrash.asp

Frazod
05-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Kid and his buddy died within a week of each other basically doing the same thing, popping wheelies through traffic like jackasses.

So I guess he did die. Sucks to be him.

CrazyPhuD
05-15-2011, 11:07 PM

Heh but you have to admit, it'll be hard to find more elegant proof that darwin was right.

Devin Seigal, who was killed in a similar motorcycle accident five days after Brandon's death (and had, in fact, attended Brandon's funeral)

Radar Chief
05-15-2011, 11:08 PM
So I guess he did die. Sucks to be him.

If you play you pay. That much adrenalin doesn't come cheap.

CrazyPhuD
05-15-2011, 11:09 PM
BTW I'm wondering, if my helmet is actually bigger than a smart car would it be able to protect me from those types of crashes?

Radar Chief
05-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Heh but you have to admit, it'll be hard to find more elegant proof that darwin was right.

My first thoughts also.

Frazod
05-15-2011, 11:13 PM
If you play you pay. That much adrenalin doesn't come cheap.

When I was a kid a rolled a Honda three-wheeler over my back going up a hill. I was 14 or 15 at the time, so other than getting the wind knocked out of me and being a bit sore the next day, I was uninjured. But I never had any desire to ride any sort of motorcycle again.

Baconeater
05-15-2011, 11:16 PM
I think Smart Cars are fine looking vehicles. I'd rather have a car that's noticeable than a car that's generic. Man, have you looked at the modern Toyotas these days? You'll probably say no, but I suspect that you've seen them and haven't noticed because there is absolutely nothing notable about any vehicle in the Toyota line. They may have produced the most boring line of vehicles the past few years of any car company at any time other than AMC.

Smart Cars aren't for all markets, I don't think. If I lived in a 'burb and commuted on a highway, I probably wouldn't want one. If I lived in the middle of a big city that had tight parking, it'd be a great choice. I'm in San Francisco right now and have seen quite a few Smart Cars, and this is the perfect environment for them. I think the advantage of a Smart Car is exclusively parking, more so than any other argument, so comparing it to other vehicles (other than maybe a Mini Cooper) isn't really relevant.
Yeah I hear ya...I can't stand how our Toyota starts up every single day, sooo boring. I mean hell, what fun is driving when you know you're going to get to your destination. And the 210hp DOHC V-6 is very, very boring. And so is the 27mpg it gets on the highway. What a waste of money.

Baconeater
05-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Ok, that's the one I'm thinking of.

Simply Red
05-15-2011, 11:24 PM
OK, no that's not it - this one had a chick and it showed her hair and scalp parts which were embedded in the car seams, it was truly disgusting and tough to look at.

Simply Red
05-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Yeah, those photoshop accidents are truly painful

lcarus
05-15-2011, 11:58 PM
I don't know, it isn't for me, but I drive a Toyota Yaris for the gas mileage. I had to get the 4 door version. The hatchback just isn't my style. I had 2 sports cars before that. Got tired of getting raped at the gas pump.

Baconeater
05-16-2011, 12:04 AM
I don't know, it isn't for me, but I drive a Toyota Yaris for the gas mileage. I had to get the 4 door version. The hatchback just isn't my style. I had 2 sports cars before that. Got tired of getting raped at the gas pump.
You're still getting raped, just a little less often than the rest of us.

TinyEvel
05-16-2011, 02:20 AM

No I don't own one, but drive an s2000 which is another small but extremely ghey vehicle.

FYP :thumb:

bevischief
05-16-2011, 03:29 AM
How long does it take to charge it?

HMc
05-16-2011, 04:09 AM
I don't suppose smart cars were ever going to be big hits in midwestern USA. You wouldn't want to get in a prang in one but they aren't any worse then motorbikes in that regard, and they can be handy where parking is at a premium.

Radar Chief
05-16-2011, 07:35 AM
OK, no that's not it - this one had a chick and it showed her hair and scalp parts which were embedded in the car seams, it was truly disgusting and tough to look at.

I think I know the one you're talking about.
Chick was speeding down a toll road in her dad's Porsche and hit a toll booth. Ripped her car open and did a number on her in the process.
Here's a link to the Wiki article, no photos though there easy enough to find. Apparently the family sued over the photos being released.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Catsouras_photographs_controversy

notorious
05-16-2011, 08:03 AM
When I was a kid a rolled a Honda three-wheeler over my back going up a hill. I was 14 or 15 at the time, so other than getting the wind knocked out of me and being a bit sore the next day, I was uninjured. But I never had any desire to ride any sort of motorcycle again.

I did the same thing with a Honda 3-wheeler while I was pulling a snow sled.

My tail bone hurt like a son of a bitch. 13 years old.

Fire Me Boy!
05-16-2011, 08:31 AM
I hope no one claiming "safety" for a reason not to buy is a motorcycle rider. You're better off in that thing than on a cycle.

Full disclosure, I'm a motorcycle rider. And the biggest reason I wouldn't drive one is because I think they're ugly. But I told the wife if she wants one, she can - she just has to find a wind-up crank decal for the back. :D

Radar Chief
05-16-2011, 08:58 AM

I’ve gone crossed ways with probably a dozen or so different motorcycles and have plenty of scars to show for it. Probably one of the few reasons I didn’t die throughout all that is I was at least smart enough not to do my jacking around in traffic.
Sure, I might not have looked as cool riding through traffic like everyone was out to kill me and saving my wheelies for when I was out by myself but I also didn’t face plant into the back of a semi doing a buck fiddy or so.

Radar Chief
05-16-2011, 09:02 AM
I hope no one claiming "safety" for a reason not to buy is a motorcycle rider. You're better off in that thing than on a cycle.

Full disclosure, I'm a motorcycle rider. And the biggest reason I wouldn't drive one is because I think they're ugly. But I told the wife if she wants one, she can - she just has to find a wind-up crank decal for the back. :D

I told Mrs. Radar she could have one. There’s a leopard print one running around town she thinks is cute.
She’s more interested in some classic American iron though, something with fins and chrome. I’ve got my toys so she wants one of her own.

Rain Man
05-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Yeah I hear ya...I can't stand how our Toyota starts up every single day, sooo boring. I mean hell, what fun is driving when you know you're going to get to your destination. And the 210hp DOHC V-6 is very, very boring. And so is the 27mpg it gets on the highway. What a waste of money.

Yeah, I realize that there are legitimate reasons to buy a Toyota, but geez, guys, put a fin on it somewhere, or just a little bit of chrome, or give people cool helmets to wear. Paint little beach balls on the wheels. Anything.

luv
05-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I realize that there are legitimate reasons to buy a Toyota, but geez, guys, put a fin on it somewhere, or just a little bit of chrome, or give people cool helmets to wear. Paint little beach balls on the wheels. Anything.

Just because you like to stand out doesn't mean the rest of us do. :p

Frazod
05-16-2011, 09:50 AM
I did the same thing with a Honda 3-wheeler while I was pulling a snow sled.

My tail bone hurt like a son of a bitch. 13 years old.

Funny how kids can come through something like that unscathed. If it happened now, I'd explode. :D

vailpass
05-16-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't suppose smart cars were ever going to be big hits in midwestern USA. You wouldn't want to get in a prang in one but they aren't any worse then motorbikes in that regard, and they can be handy where parking is at a premium.

Howdy HMc,

What exactly is a "prang"?

Radar Chief
05-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Howdy HMc,

What exactly is a "prang"?

I’m assuming he means wreck.
Don’t know about your area but the biggest car killer around here are deer, we’re literally overrun with them. They can come through the windshield of the typical four door sedan and seriously injure or even kill occupants. I would assume smacking one in that little Smart car is bad news.

vailpass
05-16-2011, 11:26 AM
I’m assuming he means wreck.
Don’t know about your area but the biggest car killer around here are deer, we’re literally overrun with them. They can come through the windshield of the typical four door sedan and seriously injure or even kill occupants. I would assume smacking one in that little Smart car is bad news.

Oh, wreck. Yeah that makes sense. Think I'll start saying 'prang'.

No deer here but in my hometown of Cedar Rapids, IA they are serious business. IIRC Iowa City pays a group to come in each year and cull the deer population for the reasons you describe.

tooge
05-16-2011, 11:36 AM
If gas got real expensive, I might buy one as an extra car to take out into the pasture and use for target practice. Yeah, they are ugly

tooge
05-16-2011, 11:56 AM
No it isn't.

That owner's a douchebag.

No it isn't.

Please back that up with some facts.

As I've said multiple times, it gets the best MPG of any non-hybrid car. There are no "20 models" with better MPG. The base Smart is around 14k, so please find me the cars that "blow it away" in price.

You've heard "laughing at you, not with you" right?

Stryker
05-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Hideous and an extreme death trap. Would NOT want to be on the interstate in that vehicle.

The price for gas is outrageous but would rather spend more than save by driving a Smart car.

vailpass
05-16-2011, 01:07 PM
You've heard "laughing at you, not with you" right?

LMAO

vailpass
05-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Hideous and an extreme death trap. Would NOT want to be on the interstate in that vehicle.

The price for gas is outrageous but would rather spend more than save by driving a Smart car.

How's things down there in Red Stick? What is the latest on the flood situation?

FishingRod
05-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Would make a nice golf cart

Stryker
05-16-2011, 02:44 PM
How's things down there in Red Stick? What is the latest on the flood situation?

All is well here. Flooding is not around my area - Clinton (East Feliciana) Baton Rouge, Gonzales and surrounding areas. Most flood areas are in Morgan City and the lower parishes as well as those who actually live along the Mississippi. River stages appear to be OK for now but cresting will begin next week and still won't be as bad as first thought according to local meterologists.

Bwana
05-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Would make a nice golf cart

And there you have it. :thumb:

Mr. Laz
05-16-2011, 03:19 PM
better if you get it in 1 color

http://www.mavromatic.com/images/zap.jpg

luv
05-16-2011, 03:26 PM
better if you get it in 1 color

http://www.mavromatic.com/images/zap.jpg

Not really.

Bwana
05-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Not really.

LMAO

I agree. It's like putting lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

tooge
05-16-2011, 03:34 PM
there's always some guy out there that'll screw a pig though. And thus, the Smart car.

Inspector
05-16-2011, 03:35 PM
We got one of those for the kids when they were little. It had a red body and yellow roof and the floor was open so they could push it around in the driveway.

They played with that for a few years. I think theirs was manufactered by Playskool.

Frazod
05-16-2011, 03:36 PM
LMAO

I agree. It's like putting lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

I think we'll need a ruling from Hog Farmer on this one.

Bwana
05-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I think we'll need a ruling from Hog Farmer on this one.

There you go. :D

http://strategichighperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/lipstick-on-a-pig.jpg

Radar Chief
05-16-2011, 03:42 PM
This is more like it.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CdJ84nho3_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f5S1NAMnYKM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

suds79
05-16-2011, 03:44 PM
It's just flat out ugly.

Whatever it offers, I'd look for something else.

If I wanted all electric there's options. Chevy Volts, Tesla Motors, etc.

If I wanted all electric and compact? I'd probably get an Enertia bike.

http://www.brammo.com/home/

Bwana
05-16-2011, 03:49 PM
This is more like it.

<IFRAME height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CdJ84nho3_k" frameBorder=0 width=480 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

<IFRAME height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f5S1NAMnYKM" frameBorder=0 width=480 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

That first one reminds me of a turbo golf cart, from hell.

Radar Chief
05-16-2011, 03:54 PM
That first one reminds me of a turbo golf cart, from hell.

Funny to watch that little sucker smoking tires though.
The second one isn’t geared right, you can hear it bog about 60' out and the guy has to slip the shit out of the clutch to get it moving. He’d probably take a good second off his time just be getting the gearing right.

Easy 6
05-16-2011, 04:45 PM
You'd have to give me one, then i'd sell it.

bobbymitch
05-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Ugly, perhaps; but then I have to look at myself in the mirror on a daily basis so I am used to it.

Now if they would make a pickup version, I could be interested.