PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Baldwin = Tyson Jackson

Thig Lyfe
04-29-2011, 11:42 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/28/2834586/the-stars-first-round-analysis.html

26 Chiefs (from Cleveland)*

WR Jon Baldwin, Pittsburgh

This has the feel of another Tyson Jackson pick.

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/127212-2/Fox_snow_huntingpounce.gif

tyton75
04-29-2011, 11:44 AM
throwing shit at the wall to see if it will stick

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
04-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Is it now manditory for KC sportswriters to be injected with FDS*?

I mean seriously.

*FDS = Fatlock derangement syndrome.

the Talking Can
04-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Chiefs coverage is embarrassing...no wonder Pioli has contempt for these people

The Bad Guy
04-29-2011, 11:46 AM
The Chiefs have the least knowledgable sports writers in the entire country.

Fritz88
04-29-2011, 11:47 AM
How is 27th overall = 3rd overall?

I dont even....
Posted via Mobile Device

Dayze
04-29-2011, 11:47 AM
what an idiot.

L.A. Chieffan
04-29-2011, 11:48 AM
other than the value, the position, the need, the rating, and the intangibles its the exact same

milkman
04-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Dumbassery like this just leaves me without words.

Coach
04-29-2011, 11:51 AM
How is 27th overall = 3rd overall?

I dont even....
Posted via Mobile Device

I was thinking the same exact thing.

Fritz88
04-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Dumbassery like this just leaves me without words.

But you just expressed your feelings in words...
Posted via Mobile Device

GordonGekko
04-29-2011, 11:53 AM
Haley could turn Baldwin into a 3rd overall caliber player

milkman
04-29-2011, 11:54 AM
But you just expressed your feelings in words...
Posted via Mobile Device

Picky....Picky.

It leaves me unable to rant properly.

Better?

Claynus
04-29-2011, 11:55 AM
I think Randy Covitz just confirmed he is the dumbest journalist to EVER work at the Star.

HotRoute
04-29-2011, 11:56 AM
wow there is really no way these two players or picks are alike in any way shape or form.

HotRoute
04-29-2011, 11:57 AM
I think Randy Covitz just confirmed he is the dumbest journalist to EVER work at the Star.

And that is saying something

:thumb:

sedated
04-29-2011, 11:57 AM

thanks for the clarification, buddy.

J Diddy
04-29-2011, 12:01 PM
And the most knowledgeable fans. In all serious they just need to replace the sports section with a coloring page. The only people who enjoy the stars sport page would more than likely enjoy the coloring page more.

Thig Lyfe
04-29-2011, 12:07 PM
thanks for the clarification, buddy.

wut

Molitoth
04-29-2011, 12:09 PM
What a douche.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
04-29-2011, 12:10 PM
It's times like this I'm GLAD I don't live anywhere near KC, so I don't have to put up with this drivel.

If the print reporters are this hosed up, I'm really afraid of what the radio personalities are likely to say today.

Brock
04-29-2011, 12:11 PM
That's ridiculous. Baldwin had good to very good production in college.

AndChiefs
04-29-2011, 12:14 PM
wow there is really no way these two players or picks are alike in any way shape or form.

Sure there is. They both play football.

Provided you call what Jackson does playing football.

nascher
04-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Dont write off Tyson Jackson he was injured last year in the first Monfay Night Game.

We will see this season if he stays healthy i think he can still help us at DE.
He is a huge guy and DL needs some time to play in the NFL look at Dorsey everbody called im a "bust" early.

Scott Pilgrim
04-29-2011, 12:18 PM

They are both African-American. but yea that's the only similarity i got

buddha
04-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Covitz is a putz and a stooge. Always has been, and apparently always will be.

Seriously, is that the best one liner he could come up with?

wazu
04-29-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm not overly excited by this pick, but there is no comparison to the absolute abomination that the Tyson Jackson pick was. TJ is possibly the worst pick in Chiefs franchise history. A complete disaster with #3 overall. Baldwin could be cut mid-season this year, and he still wouldn't compare.

Deberg_1990
04-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Well, Tyson Jackson should have probably been picked at #26......

suzzer99
04-29-2011, 12:59 PM
I'm not overly excited by this pick, but there is no comparison to the absolute abomination that the Tyson Jackson pick was. TJ is possibly the worst pick in Chiefs franchise history. A complete disaster with #3 overall. Baldwin could be cut mid-season this year, and he still wouldn't compare.

This is almost as dumb as Covitz. I'm not saying TJ couldn't turn out to be a total bust. But if he at least is a serviceable starter he will be far from the worst draft pick in Chiefs history.

Deberg_1990
04-29-2011, 01:01 PM
TJ is possibly the worst pick in Chiefs franchise history.

Not even close

buddha
04-29-2011, 01:03 PM
This is almost as dumb as Covitz.

It was. Apparently that poster is no older than 15 because no matter how disappointing Jackson has been, KC has a long history of major draft flame outs...guys that basically never saw the field. Jackson has been average...maybe. Of course he wasn't worth the #3 pick in any draft, but dare we bring up Brian Jozwiack and all of the other monumental stiffs? Dare we talk about drafting the biggest QB stiff in the greatest QB draft of all time (Gentle Todd Blackledge)? The list goes on and on.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Posted April 28, 2011 @ 11:58 p.m.
Tags2011 NFL drafta13a51ChiefsJonathan BaldwinScott PioliYahooPosted April 29, 2011 @ 12:28 a.m. ET
By Eli Kaberon
Chiefs GM Scott Pioli comes from the Bill Belichick School of Drafting, which features a curriculum based on moving back to stockpile more picks and trusting the team's draft board instead of the popular consensus.

Pioli was the student at the school for many years, but he clearly has earned his diploma based on what he did Thursday night. The GM traded back, added an extra selection, and took a sleeper pick at the position his team needed help in most.

Originally picking 21st, the Chiefs decided to deal with the Browns for the 27th overall selection that Cleveland had acquired from the Falcons in the Julio Jones trade; they also picked up the Browns' third-round pick, No. 70 overall. With multiple positions of need and a good group of players still available, Pioli clearly believed that Kansas City could acquire a top talent while adding more depth later in the weekend.

Yet when the 27th pick was read by commissioner Roger Goodell, it wasn't the Chiefs. The Ravens — picking right before K.C. — allowed their time to elapse, passing on the pick and enabling the Chiefs to move up and select at No. 26. Once K.C. handed their card in, Pittsburgh WR Jonathan Baldwin was taken off the board and the Chiefs had a new big-play wideout coming to town.

Though some will wonder why the team opted against picking an offensive lineman or linebacker, two of the greatest needs of the team, there is no denying that K.C. had to acquire a pass catcher to complement the league's top-ranked running game. Dwayne Bowe was the only wide receiver to make more than 22 catches last season, and when he was double-teamed, the Chiefs had no chance to move the ball through the air. Baldwin, who left school following his junior season, has a solid combination of size (6-4 3/8, 228) and speed (4.51 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine), making him the player of QB Matt Cassel's dreams.

There are questions of Baldwin's maturity and effort to do the little things, a reason many didn't have him pegged to go in Round One. However, those are issues the Belichick School doesn't worry about. Pioli and head coach Todd Haley clearly have done their homework on the Pitt receiver and believe his supreme talent outweighs any negatives he could bring to the team. Pioli has his diploma; picks like this will determine if he's in line to earn a PhD.

Saccopoo
04-29-2011, 01:11 PM
TJ is possibly the worst pick in Chiefs franchise history.

Not even close.

Brian Jozwiak
- 1st Round, seventh overall pick. Out of the league after three seasons. Never started a single game.

Trezelle Jenkins
- 1st Round; Appeared in nine games over four seasons, starting only one.

Tony Hancock
- 1st Round, 11th overall selection. 73 total receptions over five seasons, never started a single game.

Cave Johnson
Ryan Rusillo just said Baldwin allegedly choked his QB.

wazu
This is almost as dumb as Covitz. I'm not saying TJ couldn't turn out to be a total bust. But if he at least is a serviceable starter he will be far from the worst draft pick in Chiefs history.

He's not. And if you want to oppose, please enlighten me with the "right" owner of that title.

buddha
04-29-2011, 01:14 PM
He's not. And if you want to oppose, please enlighten me with the "right" owner of that title.

Adam READ the thread. The list is long.

wazu
04-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Not even close.

Brian Jozwiak
- 1st Round, seventh overall pick. Out of the league after three seasons. Never started a single game.

Trezelle Jenkins

Tony Hancock
- 1st Round, 11th overall selection. 73 total receptions over five seasons, never started a single game.

Trazelle Jenkins shouldn't even be in the conversation with the 31st pick. If he is then we need to add Siavii.

Jozwiak and Hancock may contend, but at some point they are all equally worthless and I look at who was drafted the highest/paid the highest signing bonus by a stingy team.

gblowfish
04-29-2011, 01:16 PM
In fairness to RC, it's hard to make a one sentence statement and defend it at the same time. I think what he means is, this pick may be considered a reach. Yes, TJ was picked much, much higher, so his impact (or lack thereof) would be measurably more painful than if Jon doesn't work out. Wide outs are notoriously dicey first round picks. Historically, Chiefs can see Anthony Hancock and Sylvester Morris on the down side, Carlos Carson and Dwayne Bowe on the up side. Obviously, the jury will be out on this kid until he straps on the pads and shows his stuff. I think RC is skeptical that this kid is going to be more valuable than say, taking an offensive lineman with the first pick. I thought sure they were going to take that guy from Wisconsin that the Bears took after us.

That's what makes the draft so fun. You never know what you have until you put it on the field. Tony Moeaki was a pleasant surprise last year. Hopefully Baldwin will be nothing but awesome.

KCrockaholic
Ryan Rusillo just said Baldwin allegedly choked his QB.

This just what Cassel needs sometimes. Good pick.

milkman

Others have already tried to enlighten you.

However, you clearly can not can't enlighten a dim bulb.

buddha
04-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Siavii is also on that list WAY ahead of Jackson. So are Jenkins, Jozwiak, Hancock and Blackledge.

Were you watching Chiefs games when those stiffs were on the team? Tyson Jackson has much more going for him than any of those guys.

milkman
04-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Ryan Sims

buddha
04-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Ryan Sims

Another great choice. Horrific KC high round picks is the definition of a target rich environment.

wazu
04-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Siavii is also on that list WAY ahead of Jackson. So are Jenkins, Jozwiak, Hancock and Blackledge.

Were you watching Chiefs games when those stiffs were on the team? Tyson Jackson has much more going for him than any of those guys.

Blackledge may actually be a contender for worse, only because he was a QB drafted in 1983, a factor I admit that I had forgotten. Siavii was a second rounder.

Deberg_1990
04-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Steve Fuller was another 1st round horror story....

nascher
04-29-2011, 01:29 PM
What i saw from Tyson Jackson before he got hurt in the SD game was really good.
If he can stay healthy he is going to help us !

Mr. Laz
04-29-2011, 01:37 PM
writers know that drafted WR's are unpredictable as hell so predicting doom is a pretty good bet. Then they looks smart.

:shrug:

Mecca
04-29-2011, 01:58 PM
It's an easy story to write because average fan in this market always wants an OT. So instead of actually being smart about he writes this crap.

Bane
04-29-2011, 02:05 PM
^Pffft.

Anyway...This guy isn't from LSU or USC so WINNING!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

philfree
04-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Mayock says that Baldwin will have good production as a rookie because he's a size/weight speed guy. Of course his jumps will help that too. I'm excited about this pick. Now if we could land Wisnewski and Jah Ried/Chris Haiston in the 5th to upgrade our O line so Cassel has time to pass.

PhilFree:arrow:

Deberg_1990
04-29-2011, 02:18 PM
It's an easy story to write because average fan in this market always wants an OT.

huh??

Mecca
04-29-2011, 02:23 PM
huh??

Basically it's not a difficult article to sell when the majority of the audience will agree with it. This city is OT obsessed.

Deberg_1990
04-29-2011, 02:26 PM
This city is OT obsessed.

I guess i just dont agree with that at all. But im not really in KC to "get" the pulse of the city.

Mecca
04-29-2011, 02:27 PM
I guess i just dont agree with that at all. But im not really in KC to "get" the pulse of the city.

If you flip on sportsradio here or look at the star already over 50% don't like the pick and there are callers complaining about not going OT.

It's over the top ridiculous.

Just Passin' By
04-29-2011, 02:27 PM
If you flip on sportsradio here or look at the star already over 50% don't like the pick and there are callers complaining about not going OT.

It's over the top ridiculous.

That's just Saccopoo and his radio mults.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-29-2011, 02:30 PM
what up with general chiefs fans being overly obsessed with O line. Im not saying its our strength, but our line wasnt horrible last year, we led the league in rushing and was in the middle of the pack with sacks allowed. I just think we have much bigger needs than o line

Dayze
04-29-2011, 02:38 PM
what up with general chiefs fans being overly obsessed with O line. Im not saying its our strength, but our line wasnt horrible last year, we led the league in rushing and was in the middle of the pack with sacks allowed. I just think we have much bigger needs than o line

no idea.
they need to look at the # of 1st round OL on the last 10+ Super bowl winners.

oddly enough, most of those teams instead, chose to use their 1st rounders on playmakers.

keg in kc
04-29-2011, 02:40 PM
The TrueFans™ don't surprise me, but I've been stunned how many members of the media thought we should have gone tackle.

J Diddy
04-29-2011, 02:46 PM
The TrueFans™ don't surprise me, but I've been stunned how many members of the media thought we should have gone tackle.

Personally, I think if we shored up the interior then the tackles would be fine. Center,left guard and move the Guy they drafted last year in at right. Waters is dried up and weigmann is both done and little.

OnTheWarpath58
04-29-2011, 02:46 PM

The guys on Sirius love what we did.

Personally, I don't a shit what anyone else thinks.

Most of the media is probably pissed that Pioli has "fucked them over" the past two years.

keg in kc
04-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Personally, I think if we shored up the interior then the tackles would be fine. Center,left guard and move the Guy they drafted last year in at right. Waters is dried up and weigmann is both done and little.I agree completely with that with the caveat that I'm not sure RT would be fine. But you don't have to draft a guy at 21/26/27 to fill RT.

Demonpenz
04-29-2011, 04:40 PM
the average fan here is asking the important question of why we let tony gonzalez go, or if we can get him back

Reerun_KC
04-29-2011, 07:34 PM
And if TJax starts coming into his own like most DL do after a few years. This could be the beginning of something special in Arrowhead...

Deberg_1990
08-20-2013, 04:01 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/28/2834586/the-stars-first-round-analysis.html

26 Chiefs (from Cleveland)*

WR Jon Baldwin, Pittsburgh

http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/127212-2/Fox_snow_huntingpounce.gif

Wow, Covitz was a prophet.

Thig Lyfe
08-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Wow, Covitz was a prophet.

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WhawhaWhat
08-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Not even close.

Brian Jozwiak

Trezelle Jenkins

Tony Hancock

So how does the Baldwin pick rank now 2+ years later?

BigMeatballDave
08-20-2013, 05:03 PM
That was a fun read.

theelusiveeightrop
08-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Great memories.

KC Tattoo
08-20-2013, 05:21 PM
It's an easy story to write because average fan in this market always wants an OT. So instead of actually being smart about he writes this crap.

Mecca was right and it is still true today.

True fan gif:

el borracho
08-20-2013, 05:24 PM
I agree completely with that with the caveat that I'm not sure RT would be fine. But you don't have to draft a guy at 21/26/27 to fill RT.

ROFL

:hmmm:

:mad:

dj56dt58
08-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Tyson Jackson>>>>>>>>>>>>Jon Baldwin