PDA

View Full Version : Football Lockout back on - maybe not

Von Dumbass
04-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Report: Owners get stay of injunction, lockout back on

Although NFL players were being welcomed back to team facilities this morning because of Judge Susan Nelson’s injunction to end the lockout, that is changing this afternoon.

ESPN is reporting that the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit has granted a temporary stay of the injunction and reinstated the lockout, meaning players will now be told to hit the road, and doors to team facilities are being locked this afternoon.

Michael Silver of Yahoo reported this afternoon that NFL players were bracing for a ruling from the Court of Appeals that would give the owners an “administrative” stay, meaning the lockout would be back on at least through the weekend.

Then, as soon as Monday, the Eighth Circuit will hear the players’ argument against a stay. At that point, the lockout could remain on, or the players could be let back in, depending on the Eighth Circuit’s ruling. And either way, it would just be temporary until the appeals court makes a decision on the owners’ appeal of Judge Nelson’s ruling.

So just hours after players were let back into team facilities this morning, they’ll now be told that they’re no longer welcome this afternoon. And we’ll all wait until Monday to see what the appeals court does next.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/29/report-owners-get-stay-of-injunction-lockout-back-on/

UPDATE:

Temporary stay has not been granted by 8th Circuit at this point, I'm told. Could still be granted today or over weekend.

https://twitter.com/MarkMaske/status/64027412899442688

AlbertBreer Albert Breer
One well-placed source in this, when I posed that the temp stay was granted, responded: "Haven't heard that."

The Bad Guy
04-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Just insanely ridiculous already.

Donger
04-29-2011, 01:01 PM
LMAO

cabletech94
04-29-2011, 01:02 PM
what.
the.
shit?

Brock
Goodbye, 2011 season!

vailpass
Good, no surprise there. Now both sides need to lock their happy asses in a room and not come out until they have hammered out a new long-term CBA.

milkman
04-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Good, no surprise there. Now both sides need to lock their happy asses in a room and not come out until they have hammered out a new long-term CBA.

Before Monday?

Molitoth
04-29-2011, 01:05 PM
It's going to be fun watching Goodell get boo'd again tonight.

vailpass
04-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Before Monday?

Wouldn't bother me if Goodell exscused himself from the remainder of the draft and invited player's reps to a lockdown session starting today. If both sides are willing to stipulate to it Monday doesn't have to be a deadline of any sorts.

ChiefsandO'sfan
04-29-2011, 01:07 PM
AlbertBreer Albert Breer
One well-placed source in this, when I posed that the temp stay was granted, responded: "Haven't heard that."

milkman
Wouldn't bother me if Goodell exscused himself from the remainder of the draft and invited player's reps to a lockdown session starting today. If both sides are willing to stipulate to it Monday doesn't have to be a deadline of any sorts.

Not going to happen.

They'll get the ruling on Monday, and go from there.

They aren't going to lock themselves in a room before then.

ChiefsandO'sfan
It's going to be fun watching Goodell get boo'd again tonight.

he doesnt do the 2 round dumbass

Just Passin' By
04-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Goodbye, 2011 season!

This is just the temporary stay. The important ruling will be on the 'permanent' stay, and that will likely come next week.

Bambi
04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Shut it down!

Molitoth
04-29-2011, 01:10 PM

ouch

cabletech94
04-29-2011, 01:12 PM
what.
the.
shit?

what.
the.
hell?

vailpass
04-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Not going to happen.

They'll get the ruling on Monday, and go from there.

They aren't going to lock themselves in a room before then.

I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying I would like it to happen.

Just Passin' By
04-29-2011, 01:15 PM
The ruling on the temporary stay is only truly important if the owners are denied.

vailpass
04-29-2011, 01:16 PM

Is there a tweet or twenty that you could post here confirming the possibility that this might or might not be accurate?

cdcox
04-29-2011, 01:18 PM
The judge is an idiot. Leave the facilities open until you hear the arguments for and against a stay. It isn't going to hurt anyone to leave this open for a couple days while the arguments are heard. This herky-jerky business is just the overblown self-importance of the justice system.

Mr. Laz
04-29-2011, 01:22 PM
maybe this will encourage the players to come back to discussions and actually negotiate this time. As far as i can tell "Cool Pimp" Dee Brown decided early on to just say no to everything and used the courts to win for him. No to 18 games, no to less money ... reports have already said the owners have offered a deal the more than met in middle and the players said no.

I doubt it since this is only temporary ... the Pimp Dee knows this and will probably say no again. He's out to win not get football started.

In the end, the courts will rule in favor of the players

vailpass
04-29-2011, 01:24 PM
The judge is an idiot. Leave the facilities open until you hear the arguments for and against a stay. It isn't going to hurt anyone to leave this open for a couple days while the arguments are heard. This herky-jerky business is just the overblown self-importance of the justice system.

Any judge in particular or do you refer to the 8th circuit court of appeals en banc?

milkman
04-29-2011, 01:31 PM
maybe this will encourage the players to come back to discussions and actually negotiate this time. As far as i can tell "Cool Pimp" Dee Brown decided early on to just say no to everything and used the courts to win for him. No to 18 games, no to less money ... reports have already said the owners have offered a deal the more than met in middle and the players said no.

I doubt it since this is only temporary ... the Pimp Dee knows this and will probably say no again. He's out to win not get football started.

In the end, the courts will rule in favor of the players

Yeah, the players were sitting at the table waiting on the owners to show up for hours on that last day because they never had any intention of negotiating.

vailpass
04-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Yeah, the players were sitting at the table waiting on the owners to show up for hours on that last day because they never had any intention of negotiating.

WTF?

milkman
04-29-2011, 01:38 PM
WTF?

John Clayton, on ESPN Radio said the the players were at the negotiating table on that last Friday before the deadline for several hours waiting for the owners to show.

They finally showed in the last hour before the deadline.

Hays
04-29-2011, 02:01 PM
What the H

Pitt Gorilla
04-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Yay, owners! We didn't really want football anyway. Awesome!

vailpass
04-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Yay, owners! We didn't really want football anyway. Awesome!

The way to have football is to have both sides come to an agreement on their own, not to have the courts decide things for them. A stay would give both sides incentive to return to the bargaining table and get a CBA done.

chiefqueen
04-29-2011, 04:33 PM
The way to have football is to have both sides come to an agreement on their own, not to have the courts decide things for them. A stay would give both sides incentive to return to the bargaining table and get a CBA done.

Not if one side (the owners) just want to collect the TV network $$$$$$$$ and not incur the expenses of putting on a season which is what I think is happening here.

Dave Lane
04-29-2011, 04:38 PM

A permanent denial of the stay ends the owners ability to lock them out, starts the season, and opens free agency.

Yeah I think I'll hope for the stay to be granted. :rolleyes:

vailpass
04-29-2011, 04:43 PM
A permanent denial of the stay ends the owners ability to lock them out, starts the season, and opens free agency.

Yeah I think I'll hope for the stay to be granted. :rolleyes:

Loon, if you want to use that pussy "rolleyes" smilie use it on someone other than me.

Molitoth
04-29-2011, 05:04 PM

Looks like Goodell did come out to announce the draft, dumbass. :p

vailpass
04-29-2011, 05:31 PM

U are genius.

chiefqueen
04-29-2011, 06:21 PM
It's official lockout is back on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6451701

If I read the article right the lockout will remain in place until the appeals court rules on the original motion and the ESPN legal experts don't think that will happen until June.

Coach
04-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Hopefully Baldwin went to KC to get his playbook and everything before this happened.....

alnorth
04-29-2011, 06:54 PM
It's official lockout is back on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6451701

If I read the article right the lockout will remain in place until the appeals court rules on the original motion and the ESPN legal experts don't think that will happen until June.

You read it wrong. The lockout will remain in place until sometime later next week, when the court will rule on the stay. Then, the lockout will either remain in place for a while, or it will end.

Its confusing, but the court is not going to formally rule on a stay pending appeal until later next week. The NFL asked for (an extremely) temporary few-day stay until they rule on the stay. Basically they want a stay until the stay.

One thing that is interesting is that this extremely temporary few-day stay was voted on 2-1, with the dissenting judge basically saying this type of stay should only be for extreme emergency death penalty/deportation situations. He thought the NFL would be fine for the few days it would take until the rule on the stay, so he voted no, but the other two basically said "we don't care, lets just stay long enough to see whether a stay is needed".

The order did not give any hint to how they would rule, they could very well end up ruling unanimously against the stay next week, then the lockout is back off, its just that a couple of the judges wanted to pause it a few days to get a chance to get up to speed.