Speed: 4.64
Arm: 34 1/2
Hand: 9 5/8
Wingspan: 81 5/8
Birthdate: 01/21/1989
Hometown: Statesboro, GA
Grade: 5.90

http://www.redandblack.com/media/stills/3682134f.jpg

Notes: Also lettered in basketball as a Georgia prep. Redshirted in 2007. Saw action in 13 games (one start) in ’08 and produced 19 tackles, 4½ tackles for loss and 2½ sacks with two pass breakups. Started 10 games at outside linebacker in ’09 and recorded 39-15-7½ with one pass breakup and one forced fumble. Missed the first two games of the season after being suspended for violating team rules. Did not play against Tennessee Tech because of a hyperextended elbow. Was a finalist for the Butkus and Nagurski awards in ’10 after starting all 13 games at rush linebacker in the Bulldogs’ 3-4 scheme and producing 67-18½-10 with two breakups, one interception and a forced fumble.

Positives: Big, strong and powerful — has an NFL build with a thick lower body and very long arms. Heavy hands to rip off blocks or walk tackles into the backfield. Good burst off the edge — displays bend, balance and leverage to run the arc. Excellent body control, lateral agility and change of direction. Strong wrap tackler. Has rushed from two- and three-point stances. Bulked up for the Combine and tested off the charts, including a 36½-inch vertical leap and broad jump of 10 feet, 5 inches.

Negatives: Tight-hipped and straight-linish. Needs more glass in his diet — inconsistent physicality against the run and is too easily washed. Needs to develop more counter moves — relies on tug-and-rip. Too easily outathleted to the corner against Georgia Tech’s option attack — does not show a second gear to recover from mistakes. Limited in man coverage. Average instincts and intensity. Motor runs hot and cold — does not consistently play hard. Too much finesse and not enough urgency. Has underachiever traits and character needs to be looked into.

Summary: Strong, explosive, tightly wound, power-leverage rusher with first-round talent and disruptive ability, but tests better than he plays and has bust potential given his inconsistent effort and character questions. At his best standing up with his ears pinned back and will draw the interest of 3-4 teams such as the Jets, Patriots, Packers and Steelers.

NFL projection: Second- to third-round pick.

DaKCMan AP
04-29-2011, 07:01 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kR0L2RVId90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Claynus
04-29-2011, 07:02 PM
I wanted this guy at 21....and we get a WR to boot.

Best draft EVER.

TrickyNicky
04-29-2011, 07:04 PM
3rd down. Hali Gilberry and Houston. **** yo QB.

Claynus
04-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Hali Gilberry and Houston, oh my!

Thig Lyfe
04-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Love it.

BigRedChief
Hali Gilberry and Houston, oh my!It will also help Dorsey not attract so much attention.

JohnnyV13
Great pick in the 3rd round.

Heard he failed a drug test, but has pass rush ability. Sounds like a good guy to sub in on long downs, while using Studebaker in regular sets. Also seems like he could be a good player in hybrid defenses.

It seems like Pioli isn't as concerned with instilling a team culture this season.

beach tribe
04-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Can't watch right now.

Did we really just draft Houston?

This is another killer draft so far. We are going to dominate the AFCW for the next decade.

keg in kc
04-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Listening to Houston talk, he's saying the exact same things that Baldwin said yesterday. Everything for the team.

Our PR guys train them quickly.

BossChief
04-29-2011, 07:13 PM
If we keep drafting like we have in three of the last four drafts, we are gonna win championshipS

Chiefspants
04-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Great pick in the 3rd round.

Heard he failed a drug test, but has pass rush ability. Sounds like a good guy to sub in on long downs, while using Studebaker in regular sets. Also seems like he could be a good player in hybrid defenses.

It seems like Pioli isn't as concerned with instilling a team culture this season.

Well, he may hold the belief that he established that culture through the draft and free agency over the last two years, and that this foundation will have a ripple effect to this year's selections.

keg in kc
04-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Houston saying all the right things about his "mistake".

Brock
Needs more glass in his diet

Literally the first time I've read that anywhere.

Reerun_KC
I wanted this guy at 21....and we get a WR to boot.

Best draft EVER.

Your such a lying bitch.. You will be the first one swinging from Whitlocks nut sack when something goes wrong this year...

Such a transparent fraud... Youre an embarrasment to any Chiefs fan world wide...

the Talking Can
04-29-2011, 07:16 PM
1st round talent with some questions

perfect in the 3rd...you can't have enough pass rushers and we have no lb depth

21 pick nets baldwin and houston...that is epic

Demonpenz
04-29-2011, 07:16 PM

must have missed the princess di thread

CoMoChief
04-29-2011, 07:17 PM
i need to smoke pot with this guy

Claynus
Let's hug and love each other, Reerun.

Today is a great day.

http://i54.tinypic.com/14wpqvr.jpg

nstygma
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1jtKMSB0utA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reerun_KC
04-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Let's hug and love each other, Reerun.

Today is a great day.

http://i54.tinypic.com/14wpqvr.jpg

:harumph:

No pictures of Jen from FSU = Do deal!

Bewbies
04-29-2011, 07:19 PM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sWS-FoXbjVI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the Talking Can
04-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Your such a lying bitch.. You will be the first one swinging from Whitlocks nut sack when something goes wrong this year...

Such a transparent fraud... Youre an embarrasment to any Chiefs fan world wide...

you're a pathetic leg humper

everyone is celebrating and you're running around like a spurned bitch

go find a life

Reerun_KC
04-29-2011, 07:24 PM
you're a pathetic leg humper

everyone is celebrating and you're running around like a spurned bitch

go find a life

Youre a nut sack swinging ball washer...

I am going to celebrate the picks and enjoy the great draft while you cry about people posting on CP...

Choke on a dick...

Hydrae
04-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Well, he may hold the belief that he established that culture through the draft and free agency over the last two years, and that this foundation will have a ripple effect to this year's selections.

Exactly my thought. (THIS!)

milkman
04-29-2011, 07:36 PM

What the hell does that mean?

Brock
04-29-2011, 07:37 PM

My thoughts exactly.

wazu
04-29-2011, 07:38 PM

Lacks toughness. Tough guys eat glass regularly.

88TG88
04-29-2011, 07:39 PM
I likes

milkman
04-29-2011, 08:41 PM

Ah...thanks.

SNR
04-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Lacks toughness. Tough guys eat glass regularly.Sounds like a bust /CoMo

Sofa King
04-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Awesome pick.

notorious
04-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Produced in College - Check

Athletic as Hell - Check

Eats Glass - .......

Fat Elvis
04-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Produced in College - Check

Athletic as Hell - Check

Eats Glass - .......

As long as he shits nails I'm ok with him. So he doesn't eat glass...I'm not a big fan of lima beans; we all have different tastes.

aturnis
04-29-2011, 09:17 PM

Yeah I do it all the time. 3 cups a day. Glass cups.

tk13
04-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Thank goodness Gunther isn't still the DC. He'd literally have this guy eating pancakes and glass.

Nightfyre
04-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Gunther: Justin, would you like some syrup with your glass pancakes?
Justin (bleeding profusely from the mouth): Yeth pleathe....
Gunter: Well too bad! You can have the syrup after you learn to shit nails.

Molitoth
04-29-2011, 09:26 PM
man< i love this pick.

CoMoChief
04-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Sounds like a bust /CoMo

Gotta love dumbass posts like this one. ^

cdcox
04-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Houston, they have a problem.

nstygma
04-29-2011, 09:49 PM
he's 250 lbs of concrete cyanide!! /gruden

oh wait, that's Tebow

RedThat
04-29-2011, 09:53 PM
After watching some highlights of this guy, I gotta say Im impressed.

He has excellent explosion, and burst off the edge. Plus he also has good body control. How did he fall to the third round?

SNR
04-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Gotta love dumbass posts like this one. ^You're the only person on this board who hated the Baldwin pick.

You are the dumbass, dude

suzzer99
04-29-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm feeding glass to my kid as we speak. Gotta toughen him up now.

Bump
04-29-2011, 10:11 PM
helluva pick!

We got this guy in the 3rd? What was the drug they caught him with? weed? Big deal, that says nothing about his character IMO.

Thig Lyfe
04-29-2011, 10:28 PM
You're the only person on this board who hated the Baldwin pick.

You are the dumbass, dude

Now I'm scared that Baldwin will be a bust and CoMo will look like a football genious.

DA_T_84
04-29-2011, 10:34 PM
helluva pick!

We got this guy in the 3rd? What was the drug they caught him with? weed? Big deal, that says nothing about his character IMO.

Character-wise, it says a lot.

It's not like he was bored and tried it.... the dude was projected as a first round pick, and smoked weed before the biggest interview of his life where he KNEW he would be drug tested.

He made a choice that cost him MILLIONS of dollars.

Again, he KNEW he would make millions and go in the first, and chose to smoke weed in a circumstance that he would almost certainly get caught.

Am I happy we took him in the 3rd round? Fuck yes I am.

Dartgod
04-29-2011, 10:36 PM
<<<< Gotta love dumbass posts like this one.
FYP

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2011, 10:37 PM

It's not like he was bored and tried it.... the dude was projected as a first round pick, and smoked weed before the biggest interview of his life where he KNEW he would be drug tested.

Again, he KNEW he would make millions and go in the first, and chose to smoke weed in a circumstance that he would almost certainly get caught.

Am I happy we took him in the 3rd round? Fuck yes I am.Problem with your assertion: Weed owns.

Bump
04-29-2011, 10:38 PM

Am I happy we took him in the 3rd round? **** yes I am.

ya but, it's fucking weed. The most harmless and best drug ever.

DA_T_84
04-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Don't get me wrong, nothing against weed. It's great! Should be legal!

Instead of drugs, substitute "wearing jeans." You know that if you wear jeans in the month before the combine, and there's an NFL ban on jeans, and you are going to take a test where they can certainly tell that you've worn jeans, don't fucking wear jeans because it will cost you tens of millions of dollars.

And he wore jeans.

Thig Lyfe
04-29-2011, 10:42 PM
ya but, it's fucking weed. The most harmless and best drug ever.

I think the point is that he smoked it before an interview/drug test, which shows less-than-stellar decision making. Fortunately, the drug itself is harmless, so we don't have to worry about him getting reefer madness and putting a baby in a microwave or some shit. But concerns about maturity/decision-making with regards to the weed incident are valid.

I'm not too worried, though.

KevB
04-29-2011, 10:42 PM

Instead of drugs, substitute "wearing jeans." You know that if you wear jeans in the month before the combine, and there's an NFL ban on jeans, and you are going to take a test where they can certainly tell that you've worn jeans, don't ****ing wear jeans because it will cost you tens of millions of dollars.

And he wore jeans.

This is the issue; it's all about decision making and responsibility.

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Guy has his priorities straight. Life is too short to not get high for thirty days.

DA_T_84
04-29-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm glad he did smoke! That particular blunt might indirectly cause the sack/strip that puts us into the Superbowl someday

Brock
04-29-2011, 10:49 PM
He's guilty of being a stupid 21 year old. Got nothing to do with character.

kysirsoze
04-29-2011, 10:51 PM

Am I happy we took him in the 3rd round? **** yes I am.

Seems like more of an intelligence question than a character question.

notorious
04-29-2011, 10:53 PM
He's guilty of being a stupid 21 year old. Got nothing to do with character.

"Just because you ARE a character doesn't mean that you HAVE character."

http://www.yourprops.com/norm-48a6d15ee3cb8-Pulp+Fiction+%281994%29.jpeg

Ultra Peanut
04-29-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm glad he did smoke! That particular blunt might indirectly cause the sack/strip that puts us into the Superbowl somedayExactly. Weed is practically magic.

Dave Lane
04-29-2011, 11:47 PM

Instead of drugs, substitute "wearing jeans." You know that if you wear jeans in the month before the combine, and there's an NFL ban on jeans, and you are going to take a test where they can certainly tell that you've worn jeans, don't ****ing wear jeans because it will cost you tens of millions of dollars.

And he wore jeans.

Marijuana stays in your system for 30 days so it could have been 2 weeks before the interview/test

kysirsoze
04-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Marijuana stays in your system for 30 days so it could have been 2 weeks before the interview/test

Not if you're working out as much as he probably does.

DA_T_84
04-29-2011, 11:53 PM
Let's be honest, the dude probably smoke(d/s) on the regular. It was probably in his system enough to the point where there was no hiding it.

Huffman83
04-29-2011, 11:55 PM
He seems like he might end up being another Ricky Williams.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfldraft-chiefs

L.A. Chieffan
04-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Yay for weed

BossChief
04-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Let me tell you this.

If he is a pothead and the team gets him to give it up totally, and he does, he will automatically become a better player.

Going off what you see on film, the guy is a first rounder.

Im just surprised to see us take him when some of his skill set doesn't really translate to what the Patriots ask of that position.

I think a minor scheme tweaking will be upcoming to be more aggressive.

Rausch
04-30-2011, 12:16 AM
He wasn't my favorite but still a steal as late as we got him....

Rausch
04-30-2011, 12:19 AM
"Just because you ARE a character doesn't mean that you HAVE character."

http://www.yourprops.com/norm-48a6d15ee3cb8-Pulp+Fiction+%281994%29.jpeg

THIS...

KcFanInGA
04-30-2011, 08:50 AM
I love this pick...hopefully the other guys will rub off on him and he will give up the weed...it's good stuff and I have smoked plenty of it...but there is a point for many of us where we give it up. And even if not, I'm willing to take the risk on this guy. I know everyone has said...but I can't believe he fell this far...great draft!

eazyb81
04-30-2011, 09:32 AM
1. I'm SHOCKED that Pioli took Houston given his failed piss test. I wouldn't think we would touch him with a ten foot poll after that. That just isn't our M.O.

2. As Boss noted above, Houston doesn't really fit the bill for what the Pats typically look for in an OLB - a versatile LB like Vrabel in his prime was an ideal fit. Houston seems to be a better fit for the Phillips scheme, where he could focus primarily on getting in the backfield.

Does this mean Crennel is adjusting his scheme? Or does it simply mean that we think Houston can learn the other nuances of the Fairbanks-Bullough?

Claynus
04-30-2011, 09:33 AM
I think it means we're desperate for a pass rusher.

DA_T_84
04-30-2011, 09:35 AM
1. I'm SHOCKED that Pioli took Houston given his failed piss test. I wouldn't think we would touch him with a ten foot poll after that. That just isn't our M.O.

2. As Boss noted above, Houston doesn't really fit the bill for what the Pats typically look for in an OLB - a versatile LB like Vrabel in his prime was an ideal fit. Houston seems to be a better fit for the Phillips scheme, where he could focus primarily on getting in the backfield.

Does this mean Crennel is adjusting his scheme? Or does it simply mean that we think Houston can learn the other nuances of the Fairbanks-Bullough?

Regardless of the fit, we couldn't leave the talent on the board.

Luckily, we will find a way that he fits - killing the QB.

RedThat
04-30-2011, 09:39 AM

To me this move just means that the Chiefs are open-minded and think outside the box every now and then.

beach tribe
04-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Hooray for Weed!!!

It landed us a 1st round pass rusher in the third!!

Let's hope he can keep his piss clean. If Pioli thinks he can, so do I.

OnTheWarpath58
04-30-2011, 09:44 AM

Thought I really doubt that RAC is changing his scheme, the thought crossed my mind yesterday. Maybe we haven't taken a NT because we're moving to the Phillips scheme, and Dorsey becomes our Jay Ratliff?

LONG shot, I know.

BossChief
04-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Thought I really doubt that RAC is changing his scheme, the thought crossed my mind yesterday. Maybe we haven't taken a NT because we're moving to the Phillips scheme, and Dorsey becomes our Jay Ratliff?

LONG shot, I know.I think I was the first one to suggest this over a year and a half ago.

Me and Milk had this conversation and got pretty in depth about it when the possibility of Wade Phillips getting fired from Dallas was going down until they won their playoff game.

I think we have the parts to run a very very disruptive and possibly dominant attacking 3-4.

Gilberry
Dorsey (this puts him in a position to become a DMVP type player)
Bailey

Hali
Belcher
DJ
Houston

Carr
Flowers
Arenas
Berry
Lewis

Just about every player in that lineup is a good blitzer that can generate pressure consistently.

beach tribe
04-30-2011, 10:07 AM
I think I was the first one to suggest this over a year and a half ago.

Me and Milk had this conversation and got pretty in depth about it when the possibility of Wade Phillips getting fired from Dallas was going down until they won their playoff game.

I think we have the parts to run a very very disruptive and possibly dominant attacking 3-4.

Gilberry
Dorsey (this puts him in a position to become a DMVP type player)
Bailey

Hali
Belcher
DJ
Houston

Carr
Flowers
Arenas
Berry
Lewis

Just about every player in that lineup is a good blitzer that can generate pressure consistently.

I think a hybrid of the two schemes would be ideal, and would keep Edwards fresher at the end of the season, if we rotated he and Shaun S. at NT while running the Fairbanks-Bullough scheme.

suzzer99
04-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Too many 12-men on the field penalties imo.

BossChief
04-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Too many 12-men on the field penalties imo.

I listed our nickle because of how much he plays.

And he is a GREAT blitzer.

Chiefshrink
04-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Thank goodness Gunther isn't still the DC. He'd literally have this guy eating pancakes and glass.

I've always loved Gunther and on that note, you gotta be happy for him and you know he is stroking his cock in Det and can't wait to introduce Ponder to the NFL and continue to put Cutler on his ass and start to frustrate Rogers in GB.

Det will be the team I root for in the NFC this year:thumb:

milkman
04-30-2011, 10:29 AM
I've always loved Gunther and on that note, you gotta be happy for him and you know he is stroking his cock in Det and can't wait to introduce Ponder to the NFL and continue to put Cutler on his ass and start to frustrate Rogers in GB.

What a surprise.

Moron love.

Chiefshrink
04-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Regardless of the fit, we couldn't leave the talent on the board.

Luckily, we will find a way that he fits - killing the QB.

:thumb:
Pioli is definitely crossing his fingers. When you look at the 4 total picked to this point 2 out of the 4 have serious character issues(Baldwin and Houston) but you can't afford to sit back with talent on the board that can rush especially when Rivers is in your division:thumb:

Chiefshrink
04-30-2011, 10:33 AM
What a surprise.

Moron love.

Milk you are "curdling" again:rolleyes:

|Zach|
04-30-2011, 10:51 AM

Not surprising you would like the coach with all the hot air and nothing to back it up.

Chiefshrink
04-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Not surprising you would like the coach with all the hot air and nothing to back it up.

Gunther, hot air??? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease, Gunther was doomed from the beginning because of CP. Just watch how Det's D does this yr:thumb:

Nothing to back it up??? ROFL

milkman
04-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Gunther, hot air??? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease, Gunther was doomed from the beginning because of CP. Just watch how Det's D does this yr:thumb:

Nothing to back it up??? ROFL

Gunther is a moron that only saw success because Marty held his hand and the Chiefs had superior talent.

And even with that, he did more to contain DT than any offense he played against did.

He's loudmouth idiot that I wouldn't trust to coach 12 year olds.

Left to run a defense on his own, he made anyone with a single brain cell miss Greg Robinson.

Do you have any idea how horrible you have to be to accomplish that?

Never mind.
Stupid question.

One has to have at least single brain cell to have an idea.

keg in kc
04-30-2011, 11:33 AM
I have the tune to "radar love" going through my head right now, but the words I hear are "retard love".

buddha
04-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Dude smoked some bud...wow, there's a reason for him to slide. Glad he did...terrific 3rd round pick. He is a BAD mutha.

BigChiefTablet
04-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I don't think there is a problem with character here if all the kid did was smoke a little weed. What college kid didn't?

The Bad Guy
04-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Please stop with this nonsense that we are moving Dorsey to NT.

DA_T_84
04-30-2011, 01:58 PM
I think Obama was born in Detroit, wasn't he??

kysirsoze
04-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Please stop with this nonsense that we are moving Dorsey to NT.

Why should we? Wasn't that mentioned as a possibility by Haley? Not saying I'm a fan of the idea, but its definitely a possibility.

Mr. Arrowhead
04-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Why should we? Wasn't that mentioned as a possibility by Haley? Not saying I'm a fan of the idea, but its definitely a possibility.

huh when did haley even mention that?

kysirsoze
04-30-2011, 02:20 PM
huh when did haley even mention that?

Somebody will have to help me with that. It wasn't recently or anything. Someone asked him and he said they were open to it and trying him there a little. My main point is it certainly hasn't been ruled out.

Dawgsfan
04-30-2011, 08:32 PM
You guys got a steal getting Justin Houston in the 3rd round. He is a heck of a player. I have seen every one of his games and Justin does a great job making big plays in crunch time. So many times when we did get a turnover he was involved in it in either causing a fumble or putting the pressure on the qb to cause a bad pass. One thing you will notice is he does chase down a play no matter where it goes. KC did a terrific job in their draft this year IMO and I look forward to following Justin's career.

mlyonsd
04-30-2011, 08:37 PM
You guys got a steal getting Justin Houston in the 3rd round. He is a heck of a player. I have seen every one of his games and Justin does a great job making big plays in crunch time. So many times when we did get a turnover he was involved in it in either causing a fumble or putting the pressure on the qb to cause a bad pass. One thing you will notice is he does chase down a play no matter where it goes. KC did a terrific job in their draft this year IMO and I look forward to following Justin's career.

Welcome to the planet.

Dawgsfan
04-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the planet.

Thanks great to be on here.

FAX
04-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the planet.

Ditto, Mr. Dawgsfan.

P.S. Your spelling sucks, dude.

FAX

BossChief
04-30-2011, 08:42 PM

grab a seat and hold on, this is the Planet.

Welcome to the experience.

RUSH
04-30-2011, 09:09 PM
I just read that Houston's defensive coordinator this year at Georgia was the same defensive coordinator for the Browns when Romeo was the HC. That's huge and the familiarity with the system just makes this pick even better.

eazyb81
04-30-2011, 10:32 PM
I just read that Houston's defensive coordinator this year at Georgia was the same defensive coordinator for the Browns when Romeo was the HC. That's huge and the familiarity with the system just makes this pick even better.

Yeah, the Todd Grantham connection hasn't been talked about enough on here or in the media.

This is going to be a seamless transition for Houston, and Romeo is going to know from the get go how to motivate him.

Just a great pick.

The Bad Guy
04-30-2011, 11:01 PM

It was never mentioned as an option this off-season. Haley talked about how much progress Dorsey has made as a 5-tech, but nothing mentioned about an NT.

kysirsoze
04-30-2011, 11:08 PM
It was never mentioned as an option this off-season. Haley talked about how much progress Dorsey has made as a 5-tech, but nothing mentioned about an NT.

Well since I can't find it I'll just retract. Now that we actually drafted a NT hopefully this won't be an issue.

xztop12
05-01-2011, 05:32 AM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

keg in kc
05-01-2011, 05:36 AM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0Woah. Went into that looking for what it had to say about Justin Houston only to find Gabe Miller's name pop up unexpectedly.

angelo
05-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Woah. Went into that looking for what it had to say about Justin Houston only to find Gabe Miller's name pop up unexpectedly.

Very Interesting

Ang

Rausch
05-01-2011, 06:56 AM

Last year they were 21st in yards allowed and 19th in pts allowed.

I doubt they top that this year...

xztop12
05-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Very Interesting

Ang

Piolis been using mathematical computer models in his draft process

Brian Johnston was on there too, infact his numbers are identical to Houstons.

the Talking Can
05-01-2011, 08:02 AM
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=439601&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

i have no clue what those numbers mean, or how valid it all is, but cool to see Houston grade out as one of the 2 best drafted olbs, and miller in the group right behind him....

beach tribe
05-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Thanks great to be on here.

I'll bet you listen to a lot of Corey Smith huh?

If not check out his song "Every Dawg has his day"

HotRoute
05-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Last year they were 21st in yards allowed and 19th in pts allowed.

I doubt they top that this year...

They have improved a lot since schwartz got there, I like their style too but still hate the Gunth

Claynus
05-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Owned!

<object width="400" height="222" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150163708996557" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150163708996557" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="222"></embed></object>

Claynus
05-02-2011, 08:09 PM
omfg

<object width="400" height="222" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150163715131557" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150163715131557" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="222"></embed></object>

Claynus
05-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Nice first step on this pass rush.

<object width="400" height="280" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150171786821557" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/10150171786821557" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="280"></embed></object>

xztop12
05-11-2011, 04:33 PM
most of those are just him timing the count, which aren't that impressive. id like to see some of him using moves or bullrushing

bowener
05-11-2011, 04:40 PM
most of those are just him timing the count, which aren't that impressive. id like to see some of him using moves or bullrushing

Dude, timing the count is pretty impressive, although it should be harder in the NFL. It does show he has some pretty ridiculous wheels for a 270lb guy. I would like to see him some clips of his moves though, too.

FAX
05-11-2011, 04:55 PM

No offense or anything, Mr. xztop12, but I fear that maybe you have ingested too much gluten which has clogged up your brainpan. You could try sniffing nail polish I guess, since that works on Elmer's gluten when you accidentally spill some on your zipper preventing you from removing your pants and you have to pee real bad.

Anticipating the count or no, this guy has a very strong and quick first step. He's practically at full speed by the time he crosses the LOS. It's one thing to anticipate the snap and something else to do something about it. Powe, for example, could anticipate snaps all day long and he would traverse about 10 inches of turf in 7 seconds.

FAX

Claynus
05-11-2011, 04:57 PM
His first step is better than Hali's IMO, and so is his straight line speed.

keg in kc
05-11-2011, 05:12 PM
I think he's athletically on a different level than Hali although I'd have to double-check both their pre-draft numbers to make sure. He might have gone ahead of Hali if they'd been in the same class, and he didn't have to drug test issue. Although Hali may have been more polished coming out. On the other hand, Houston has already played his projected NFL role as a 3-4 OLB in college, so he's coming into an almost perfect place.

It's hard to tell. There's a pretty good chance he wouldn't have been on the board for us at 21 if it wasn't for his marijuana wtf.

xztop12
05-11-2011, 05:37 PM
I think he's athletically on a different level than Hali although I'd have to double-check both their pre-draft numbers to make sure. He might have gone ahead of Hali if they'd been in the same class, and he didn't have to drug test issue. Although Hali may have been more polished coming out. On the other hand, Houston has already played his projected NFL role as a 3-4 OLB in college, so he's coming into an almost perfect place.

It's hard to tell. There's a pretty good chance he wouldn't have been on the board for us at 21 if it wasn't for his marijuana wtf.

He is. His combine numbers were immense, like a tier down from Mario Williams level

farmerchief
05-11-2011, 05:39 PM
The more I read about him, the more I like! IF Haley can get him focused and putting out each and every down, he would be an excellant opposite force from Hali!

BossChief
05-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Guys, when we get a decent lead this defense is gonna rape opposing passers.

Dorsey
Hali
Gilberry
Houston
Johnson
Arenas
Berry

xztop12
05-11-2011, 06:06 PM
If we land Matt Light we have an essentially revamped front 7 and starting O-line, for better or worse

HotRoute
05-11-2011, 06:09 PM
If we land Matt Light we have an essentially revamped front 7 and starting O-line, for better or worse

I think Matt light is a done deal, like it or not.

xztop12
05-11-2011, 06:44 PM
I think Matt light is a done deal, like it or not.

How are you so sure? I thought it was speculation

CoMoChief
05-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Houston is going to be a fucking stud.

Our defense is going to be fucking stacked in about a year. Still think we need some ILB and interior DL (NT) help

ChiefsandO'sfan
05-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Georgia's Defensive System Mirrors Chiefs

By Josh Looney

Posted 6 hours ago

Chiefs rookie OLB Justin Houston played under defensive coordinator Todd Grantham at Georgia. Grantham spent three seasons (2005-08) as Romeo Crennel's defensive coordinator in Cleveland.

During a normal league year, rookie orientation would have already come and gone.

Due to the league’s labor situation, rookie mini-camps have been pushed back in each NFL city. Four practices over a three-day period may not seem like much, but the league’s newest players can take a lot away from these annual welcome weekends.

In mini-camp, rookies are versed with weight room expectations, training room policies, locker room protocol and, of course, classroom and on-field work with coaches.

Mini-Camp is about defining expectations and not slowing down the pace of play when veterans return for organized team activities (OTAs). It’s the first weekend that college players truly become professional athletes.

Not this year; at least, not yet.

The Chiefs hosted 33 players during last year’s Rookie Mini-Camp. Each of the draft picks participated alongside a cast of undrafted free agents, tryout players and other first-year players already under contract.

Without that camp, each rookie begins his NFL career at a disadvantage. Right now, all rookies are playing from behind.

The longer this labor climate continues, the more important football aptitude becomes. When on-field work does eventually resume, cram sessions will immediately ensue. Nobody will have a bigger uphill climb than the rookies.

Half the battle that rookies face is developing trust. They must exude a sense of understanding with teammates and coaches before stepping on the field. Rookies must show that they’re comfortable with assignments and confident in making checks.

Understanding the playbook begins in the classroom and is proven on the practice field. Fortunately, the Chiefs have one rookie who has already begun to cross that bridge.

Third-round draft pick Justin Houston.

One of the assets that Houston brings to the Chiefs is the defensive coordinator he played for last season. Houston’s already undergone the transition from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker – a switch that most players don’t make until they reach the NFL level – and played a year in a pro-style defensive system.

In many ways, Houston has already played in the Chiefs defensive system.

Todd Grantham took over the Bulldogs’ defensive coordinator job in 2010 and quickly switched to a pro-style 3-4 base. He’d spent the previous 11 seasons coaching defense in the NFL – much of it inside the 3-4 scheme.

Three of Grantham’s 11 professional seasons (2005-07) came in Cleveland as Romeo Crennel’s defensive coordinator. He was one of Crennel’s initial hires as the two shared a common vision about the 3-4 defense.

Grantham implemented many of those same ideas at Georgia last season.

Houston represented one of Grantham’s first projects. Any worthwhile 3-4 defense has a threat to the quarterback at outside linebacker. Grantham pegged Houston as that threat.

Operating under a 3-4 system that mirrors the basics of Kansas City’s approach, and even uses much of the same terminology, Houston delivered a career year. After producing 58 tackles with 10.0 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss during his first two seasons as a Bulldog, Houston registered 67 tackles, 10.0 sacks, and 18.5 tackles for loss in his lone season playing for Grantham.

When off-field issues forced Houston’s slide down draft boards, the background with Grantham helped his risk/reward ratio become more tolerable to the Chiefs. Grantham has relationships with a handful of Chiefs staff members outside of Crennel, including General Manager Scot Pioli.

Had Houston remained at defensive end last season, and not played for Grantham, it’s fair to say that he probably wouldn’t have ended up in Kansas City.

From an X’s and O’s perspective, Houston owns an initial leg-up on many of the other rookies around the league.

“I didn’t have a preference (in playing for a 3-4 or 4-3 NFL team),” Houston said over draft weekend. “I just wanted to get a chance to play in the NFL and I have my opportunity and I’m going to make the best of it.”

Houston will probably get to play in both systems with the Chiefs – as an outside linebacker in base sets and as a rush end in sub-packages.

The Chiefs are a game-plan team and Crennel used a number of different fronts last season tailoring defensive schemes to specific opponents. Houston looks like a prime candidate to shift to defensive end when the Chiefs go with four defensive linemen.

Houston’s background gives him a legitimate opportunity to be an early contributor in both base and sub-packages next season.

It’s up to him to capitalize on that advantage.

beach tribe
05-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Georgia's Defensive System Mirrors Chiefs

By Josh Looney

Posted 6 hours ago

Chiefs rookie OLB Justin Houston played under defensive coordinator Todd Grantham at Georgia. Grantham spent three seasons (2005-08) as Romeo Crennel's defensive coordinator in Cleveland.

During a normal league year, rookie orientation would have already come and gone.

Due to the league’s labor situation, rookie mini-camps have been pushed back in each NFL city. Four practices over a three-day period may not seem like much, but the league’s newest players can take a lot away from these annual welcome weekends.

In mini-camp, rookies are versed with weight room expectations, training room policies, locker room protocol and, of course, classroom and on-field work with coaches.

Mini-Camp is about defining expectations and not slowing down the pace of play when veterans return for organized team activities (OTAs). It’s the first weekend that college players truly become professional athletes.

Not this year; at least, not yet.

The Chiefs hosted 33 players during last year’s Rookie Mini-Camp. Each of the draft picks participated alongside a cast of undrafted free agents, tryout players and other first-year players already under contract.

Without that camp, each rookie begins his NFL career at a disadvantage. Right now, all rookies are playing from behind.

The longer this labor climate continues, the more important football aptitude becomes. When on-field work does eventually resume, cram sessions will immediately ensue. Nobody will have a bigger uphill climb than the rookies.

Half the battle that rookies face is developing trust. They must exude a sense of understanding with teammates and coaches before stepping on the field. Rookies must show that they’re comfortable with assignments and confident in making checks.

Understanding the playbook begins in the classroom and is proven on the practice field. Fortunately, the Chiefs have one rookie who has already begun to cross that bridge.

Third-round draft pick Justin Houston.

One of the assets that Houston brings to the Chiefs is the defensive coordinator he played for last season. Houston’s already undergone the transition from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker – a switch that most players don’t make until they reach the NFL level – and played a year in a pro-style defensive system.

In many ways, Houston has already played in the Chiefs defensive system.

Todd Grantham took over the Bulldogs’ defensive coordinator job in 2010 and quickly switched to a pro-style 3-4 base. He’d spent the previous 11 seasons coaching defense in the NFL – much of it inside the 3-4 scheme.

Three of Grantham’s 11 professional seasons (2005-07) came in Cleveland as Romeo Crennel’s defensive coordinator. He was one of Crennel’s initial hires as the two shared a common vision about the 3-4 defense.

Grantham implemented many of those same ideas at Georgia last season.

Houston represented one of Grantham’s first projects. Any worthwhile 3-4 defense has a threat to the quarterback at outside linebacker. Grantham pegged Houston as that threat.

Operating under a 3-4 system that mirrors the basics of Kansas City’s approach, and even uses much of the same terminology, Houston delivered a career year. After producing 58 tackles with 10.0 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss during his first two seasons as a Bulldog, Houston registered 67 tackles, 10.0 sacks, and 18.5 tackles for loss in his lone season playing for Grantham.

When off-field issues forced Houston’s slide down draft boards, the background with Grantham helped his risk/reward ratio become more tolerable to the Chiefs. Grantham has relationships with a handful of Chiefs staff members outside of Crennel, including General Manager Scot Pioli.

Had Houston remained at defensive end last season, and not played for Grantham, it’s fair to say that he probably wouldn’t have ended up in Kansas City.

From an X’s and O’s perspective, Houston owns an initial leg-up on many of the other rookies around the league.

“I didn’t have a preference (in playing for a 3-4 or 4-3 NFL team),” Houston said over draft weekend. “I just wanted to get a chance to play in the NFL and I have my opportunity and I’m going to make the best of it.”

Houston will probably get to play in both systems with the Chiefs – as an outside linebacker in base sets and as a rush end in sub-packages.

The Chiefs are a game-plan team and Crennel used a number of different fronts last season tailoring defensive schemes to specific opponents. Houston looks like a prime candidate to shift to defensive end when the Chiefs go with four defensive linemen.

Houston’s background gives him a legitimate opportunity to be an early contributor in both base and sub-packages next season.

It’s up to him to capitalize on that advantage.

This is Awesome. This guy really has a chance to make a huge impact with Hali being on the other side.

Easy 6
05-15-2011, 09:52 AM
A productive pass rusher that runs a 4.6 @ 270?

In all of my glorious Powe mania, i forgot to be excited about this guy.

Tombstone RJ
05-15-2011, 10:46 AM
You guys definitely have the best defense in the AFCW, lots of speed. If your offense manages to get a lead, yah, your defense could lite opposing offenses up. But that's a big IF.

ChiefaRoo
05-15-2011, 01:26 PM
You guys definitely have the best defense in the AFCW, lots of speed. If your offense manages to get a lead, yah, your defense could lite opposing offenses up. But that's a big IF.

Phag

Saul Good
05-15-2011, 01:30 PM

Yep. Hopefully Charles, Bowe, Moeaki, Baldwin, and McCluster can find a way to scratch and claw for a couple of points here and there.