PDA

View Full Version : Football nfl granted stay

tboss27
04-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Sorry if repost, just got off a plane and am on my phone. 8th circuit granted nfl a stay on judge nelsons ruling. Lockout back on.

Jewish Rabbi
04-30-2011, 12:43 AM
NO WAYZ!?

Jewish Rabbi
04-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Hey guys! Dane McCloud left the forum!!

Jewish Rabbi
04-30-2011, 12:45 AM
John Goodman died? No way!

tboss27
04-30-2011, 12:46 AM
NO WAYZ!?

I don't know if you're giving me crap or not, ive been traveling all day so this may be old news. I didn't see any thread on the first two pages.

CrazyPhuD
04-30-2011, 01:07 AM
So does that mean tags are back?

Rausch
04-30-2011, 01:09 AM
Fuck St.Louis.

Fuck them with every bit of fire in my heart.

I HOPE THEY DROWN...

ChiefsandO'sfan
05-03-2011, 02:35 PM
AlbertBreerAlbert Breer

Eighth circuit grants the NFL's request for an expedited hearing. Will hear the appeal starting June 3 in St. Louis.

Detoxing
05-03-2011, 02:41 PM
I bet they just grat the stay till then to no football for another month.

WTF did you just say?

ChiefsandO'sfan
05-03-2011, 02:46 PM
AdamSchefterAdam Schefter

Rulings on expedited appeals typically come 30-45 days after, so it looks like we'll be into July before sides get legal ruling they want.

penguinz
05-03-2011, 02:54 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/407984660/schefter4_normal.JPG (http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=AdamSchefter)

AdamSchefter (http://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=AdamSchefter) Still no ruling on the stay that will determine whether there's free agency soon -- or whether lights on league will go out until July. 5 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/65517445766586368) ∑ reply (http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?in_reply_to=65517445766586368) ∑ retweet (http://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=65517445766586368) ∑ favorite (http://twitter.com/intent/favorite?tweet_id=65517445766586368)

the Talking Can
05-03-2011, 03:00 PM
fuck all of them...fucking idiots

Chocolate Hog
05-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Not to turn this into a political rant but as soon as I heard these were Bush appointed judges I knew something would be fucked up. THERE YOU HAVE IT THERE WAS A CLEAR FUCKING RULING AND THESE FUCKING COCK SUCKERS HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER MONTH TO RULE ON SOMETHING THAT WAS SO FUCKING CLEAR.

DaFace
05-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Not to turn this into a political rant but as soon as I heard these were Bush appointed judges I knew something would be fucked up. THERE YOU HAVE IT THERE WAS A CLEAR FUCKING RULING AND THESE FUCKING COCK SUCKERS HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER MONTH TO RULE ON SOMETHING THAT WAS SO FUCKING CLEAR.

Right. If there's anyone to blame for this, it's not the owners or the players. It's the legal system. :rolleyes:

Chocolate Hog
05-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Right. If there's anyone to blame for this, it's not the owners or the players. It's the legal system. :rolleyes:

Right. Because Judge Nelson didn't make a clear ruling :rolleyes:

Just Passin' By
05-03-2011, 03:28 PM

What's happening is routine, and it's not because there are Bush appointees on the case. It's because this is how appeals work. I'm sorry, but you just don't know what you're talking about on this issue. This hearing is actually being held in an expedited fashion, taking place less than 2 months following the initial ruling.

Chocolate Hog
05-03-2011, 03:33 PM
What's happening is routine, and it's not because there are Bush appointees on the case. It's because this is how appeals work. I'm sorry, but you just don't know what you're talking about on this issue. This hearing is actually being held in an expedited fashion, taking place less than 2 months following the initial ruling.

I'm sure the guy with a 14 year old Asian girl in his pic knows what he's talking about when it comes to law practice.

KurtCobain
05-03-2011, 03:33 PM

No, this is not routine. For any such stay to be granted they need some sort of benefit of a doubt. They don't have one. Like it's been said the original judge made a very easy ruling. There was no other option than to side with the players.

Chocolate Hog
05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
NFL Lockout Back On: 8th Circuit Grants NFL Stay, Politics At Play?

Two Bush appointees voted yes, while the Clinton appointee voted no and wrote an interesting dissent.

Chocolate Hog
05-03-2011, 03:37 PM
The dissenting judge, Kermit Bye wrote a very strongly worded rebuke of his 8th circuit colleagues. “I am unaware of a general practice in this circuit of resolving requests for stays pending appeal in non-emergency situations in a two-step process”

Bye’s implication is that it’s highly unorthodox for the 8th circuit to make a move like this. The vote went down political lines. Bye, who dissented, is a Clinton appointee, while the two judges who voted for the stay Steven M. Colloton and William Duane Benton, are George W. Bush appointees.

Bye said simply that the NFL had not proven that they were being done irreparable harm by the absence of the lockout.

“The NFL has not persuaded me this is the type of emergency situation which justifies the grant of a temporary stay of the district court’s order pending our decision on a motion for a stay itself.”

ChiefsandO'sfan
05-03-2011, 03:45 PM
AlbertBreerAlbert Breer

Clerk Michael Gans told me a case filed now "Normally wouldn’t be heard until Oct or Nov and, for a Court of Appeals, that’s pretty quick.”

All you need to know that the owners bought these judges

Dante84
05-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Fuckin' bullshit. She was clear as day in her 90 page decision

Detoxing
05-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Ghey.

alnorth
05-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Not to turn this into a political rant but as soon as I heard these were Bush appointed judges I knew something would be ****ed up. THERE YOU HAVE IT THERE WAS A CLEAR ****ING RULING AND THESE ****ING COCK SUCKERS HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER MONTH TO RULE ON SOMETHING THAT WAS SO ****ING CLEAR.

calm down, sparky.

1) They didn't rule on the stay. So, lockout could still be lifted within days.

2) This is incredibly super-fast for an appeals hearing.

patteeu
05-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Right. Because Judge Nelson didn't make a clear ruling :rolleyes:

A stay doesn't mean the judge's ruling was unclear. It means that the ruling might be wrong and if it is, it could damage the owners in the meantime.

alnorth
05-03-2011, 04:02 PM
NFL Lockout Back On: 8th Circuit Grants NFL Stay, Politics At Play?

Two Bush appointees voted yes, while the Clinton appointee voted no and wrote an interesting dissent.

old news, this was the extremely-temporary few-day stay from late last week until they had a chance to rule on the stay.

They haven't ruled on the stay, but they are expected to this week.

Saul Good
05-03-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm sure the guy with a 14 year old Asian girl in his pic knows what he's talking about when it comes to law practice.

We need a legal scholar's opinion. Do we have any Supreme Court Justices or Disc Jockeys on this site? Those are the only two professions who are qualified to discuss this. Also, in the event that a Supreme Court Judge wants to pontificate on this, I will need to see your avatar before I deem you qualified.

Chocolate Hog
05-03-2011, 04:06 PM
calm down, sparky.

1) They didn't rule on the stay. So, lockout could still be lifted within days.

2) This is incredibly super-fast for an appeals hearing.

I heard the chances of the stay being lifted by the 8th are slim at this point.

Saul Good
05-03-2011, 04:06 PM
A stay doesn't mean the judge's ruling was unclear. It means that the ruling might be wrong and if it is, it could damage the owners in the meantime.

Like we can trust a poster who has a black guy in his avatar when it comes to legal matters...

Just Passin' By
05-03-2011, 04:07 PM

Yes, actually, I do. This is actually an expedited hearing, as was asked for by the appellant. In other words, dumbass, those Bush appointees are going to hear this faster than if this was just on the usual legal track. They'll be ruling solely on the stay. The initial stay the appeals court granted was just temporary, pending a full hearing. This is routine procedure.

Now, either learn what you're talking about, or STFU and let the adults talk.

vailpass
05-03-2011, 04:07 PM
We need a legal scholar's opinion. Do we have any Supreme Court Justices or Disc Jockeys on this site? Those are the only two professions who are qualified to discuss this. Also, in the event that a Supreme Court Judge wants to pontificate on this, I will need to see your avatar before I deem you qualified.

LMAO

alnorth
05-03-2011, 04:08 PM

Heard from who? The NFL's lawyers? The two judges who voted for the temporary stay said it was an administrative stay for a few days just to give them a chance to read up on everything. It could easily be 3-nill by the end of the week.

If you are gonna try to read tea leaves, I'd say they are more likely to deny the stay than grant it, since one judge has already signalled doubt that the NFL will be damaged.

vailpass
05-03-2011, 04:08 PM

From whom did you hear that rumor? May I inquire as to the nature of your profession?

DeezNutz
05-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Like we can trust a poster who has a black guy in his avatar when it comes to legal matters...

A guy whose username is basically Sup Dog cannot be trusted to evaluate avatars.

Saul Good
05-03-2011, 04:11 PM
From whom did you hear that rumor? May I inquire as to the nature of your profession?

Heard it through headphones, bro...

Saul Good
05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
A guy whose username is basically Sup Dog cannot be trusted to evaluate avatars.

Would you like 2 CDs?

See DeezNutz, yo!

vailpass
05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Heard it through headphones, bro...

:LOL: Is that hillbilly really a dj?

Saul Good
05-03-2011, 04:13 PM
:LOL: Is that hillbilly really a dj?

DJ Jazzy Ginger

alnorth
05-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Devil's advocate: if they are gonna have an expedited hearing, then that reduces the argument against a stay somewhat.

Judge Nelson obviously had no idea when the 8th would hear the appeal, so she had to assume it would be a normal delay (Oct/Nov), in which case the players obviously would be significantly damaged by that delay. Now that the 8th has signalled that they are going to dispense with this in just a month, they could conceivably say that no one will be significantly damaged by a 1 month stay.

Chocolate Hog
It's no wonder why all Saul can do is troll looking like this

http://i52.tinypic.com/2u95t9z.jpg

DeezNutz
Would you like 2 CDs?

CDs? My problem is that I can't spell.

But if you could read the posts that I think but cannot articulate, my meaning would never be obscured.

vailpass
05-03-2011, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE=Bo's Pelini;7616926]It's no wonder why all Saul can do is troll looking like this[QUOTE]

Of all the thousands of people on this board, you are the very LAST one who should be bringing up the subject of personal appearance unless the thread title is "How Do You Know God Hates You" or "Fires That Have Been Put Out Using a Garden Rake".

Saul Good
05-03-2011, 04:19 PM
It's no wonder why all Saul can do is troll looking like this

http://i52.tinypic.com/2u95t9z.jpg

If that was me, I'd still be better looking, taller, and in better shape than you.

Chocolate Hog
05-03-2011, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=Bo's Pelini;7616926]It's no wonder why all Saul can do is troll looking like this[QUOTE]

Of all the thousands of people on this board, you are the very LAST one who should be bringing up the subject of personal appearance unless the thread title is "How Do You Know God Hates You" or "Fires That Have Been Put Out Using a Garden Rake".

Speaking of god did he attach you to Sauls nuts at birth or did you do it on your own?

Detoxing
05-03-2011, 04:28 PM
If i knew what half of you fuckers looked like i'd probably hate half of you.

Chocolate Hog
05-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Well from the looks of it Saul can't afford a razor which is understandable being unemployed and all.

Detoxing
05-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Penis

PGM
05-03-2011, 04:40 PM
If the judges wear sweet basketball jerseys under thier robs, we know why Bo knows.

Detoxing
05-03-2011, 04:42 PM
If the judges wear sweet basketball jerseys under thier robs, we know why Bo knows.

Fellatio?

kstater
05-03-2011, 05:07 PM
How one person can continually show he's out of his element in nearly every topic is amazing to me.

Chocolate Hog
05-03-2011, 06:09 PM
How one person can continually show he's out of his element in nearly every topic is amazing to me.

Wanna bet on it?

DaFace
05-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Wanna bet on it?

You want to bet whether or not it's amazing to him? :spock:

milkman
05-03-2011, 06:16 PM

I would not be surprised if his answer to this question is "Yes".

Saul Good
05-03-2011, 07:05 PM

That makes more sense than him wanting to bet that judges, who he has already implied are in the tank for the stay because of who appointed them, are going to overturn the stay.

kstater
05-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Wanna bet on it?

You can't fix stupid.

Chocolate Hog
05-03-2011, 07:29 PM

You know what he was referring to don't be such a jerkoff.

DaFace
05-03-2011, 07:35 PM
You know what he was referring to don't be such a jerkoff.

No, actually I don't.

ChiefsandO'sfan
05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
ochocincoChad Ochocinco

by ArrowheadPride

#OCNN Unfortunately a union source expects that the stay will be granted today n that the lockout will now continue 4 at least several weeks

Saul Good
05-04-2011, 12:34 PM
ochocincoChad Ochocinco

by ArrowheadPride

#OCNN Unfortunately a union source expects that the stay will be granted today n that the lockout will now continue 4 at least several weeks

Unless he's a DJ, I doubt he knows what he's talking about.

Dinny Blues
05-04-2011, 06:24 PM

This is skinbra-level stuff right here.

Tearing up and trying to breathe.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

:drool:

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Dinny

Chocolate Hog
05-04-2011, 07:20 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/04/clerk-says-eighth-circuit-simply-may-not-rule-on-motion-for-stay/

As we continue to wait for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit to issue a ruling regarding the league’s motion to stay the order lifting the lockout until the ruling can be reviewed, the Clerk of the Court tells USA Today that there possibly will be no ruling on the pending motion.

“I don’t have any indication whether there is going to be any further ruling on the motion for a stay,” Michael Gans told Gary Mihoces. Gans also said the motion for a stay is “still pending,” and that the “court may rule and the court may not” rule on the motion.

Last Friday, the panel that will hear the appeal voted 2-1 to grant the league’s motion for a temporary stay, while considering the motion for a stay through the resolution of the appeal. Since separate briefs were submitted on the question of whether a stay will be granted, including a final brief from the NFL on Monday, May 2, it’s reasonable to expect that a ruling on the motion will at some point be made. Then again, this is one of the basic realities of the court system. Very often, courts do what they want to do when they want to do it, without giving any explanation or notice.

Chocolate Hog
05-04-2011, 07:21 PM
ochocincoChad Ochocinco

by ArrowheadPride

I'M NOT A LAWYER I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT!!1!

Simply Red
05-04-2011, 08:22 PM
I read the thread as 'Milf granted stray'

cabletech94
05-04-2011, 08:24 PM
I read the thread as 'Milf granted stray'

i hope that you stay, sr. (nohomo)

Simply Red
05-04-2011, 08:27 PM
i hope that you stay, sr. (nohomo)

ty ct - I think i may.

alnorth
05-04-2011, 09:06 PM
I'M NOT A LAWYER I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT!!1!

Your sources are an uneducated player and a dumbass clerk who directly contradicted what was written in the temporary stay order.

They will rule on the stay soon, and no one has "sources". There is no such thing as a "source" in a pending ruling, other than trying to read tea leaves.

Chocolate Hog
05-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Your sources are an uneducated player and a dumbass clerk who directly contradicted what was written in the temporary stay order.

They will rule on the stay soon, and no one has "sources". There is no such thing as a "source" in a pending ruling, other than trying to read tea leaves.

Do they really not have to rule on the stay? That would seem unusual and if they don't what happens?

Chocolate Hog
05-04-2011, 09:30 PM
AdamSchefter

RT @joegrizzly81: Hey adam is the stay expected to be announced tommorow? ... Most people around league seem to think so.
about 2 hours ago via ‹berSocia

alnorth
05-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Do they really not have to rule on the stay? That would seem unusual and if they don't what happens?

I guess they dont, but the emergency stay is only intended to last until they have a chance to rule on the stay. In that temporary stay order they said they would rule on the stay soon, so that clerk was some idiot who probably just didn't want to talk to the media.

Chocolate Hog
05-04-2011, 09:42 PM
And if they uphold the stay?

alnorth
05-04-2011, 10:00 PM
And if they uphold the stay?

then its not as big a deal as we thought it would be last week, since they have now agreed (very unusually) to an expedited hearing. They will decide in about 1-1.5 months.

vailpass
05-05-2011, 09:46 AM
The court is giving the owners/NFLPA opportunity and encouragement to settle this dispute on their own without the need for the court to have to decide for them, something a conservative court is especially loathe to do.

ChiefsandO'sfan
05-05-2011, 04:09 PM
ProFootballWklyPro Football Weekly

#Ravens, #Dolphins, #Bengals among teams that have been contacting agents re: undrafted players during the lockout:

Nice to see some teams cheating during lockout

ChiefsandO'sfan
05-05-2011, 04:49 PM

Many assume a stay from 8th Circuit to be a foregone conclusion. But there are those in legal community convinced this could go either way.

Chocolate Hog
05-05-2011, 04:54 PM
ProFootballWklyPro Football Weekly

#Ravens, #Dolphins, #Bengals among teams that have been contacting agents re: undrafted players during the lockout:

Nice to see some teams cheating during lockout

I'm not so sure the Chiefs aren't doing it too. I have Frantz Hardy as a friend on Facebook and he's talking about how he's trying to make it his home out here. He was on the Eagles practice squad.

vailpass
05-05-2011, 04:58 PM
I'm not so sure the Chiefs aren't doing it too. I have Frantz Hardy as a friend on Facebook and he's talking about how he's trying to make it his home out here. He was on the Eagles practice squad.

That could be. I'm pretty sure all secret, behind-the-scenes maneuverings that go on while in direct violation of league rules are discussed on Facebook.
Did you read about bin laden getting taken out beforehand on Hillary's wall?

Chocolate Hog
05-05-2011, 05:02 PM
That could be. I'm pretty sure all secret, behind-the-scenes maneuverings that go on while in direct violation of league rules are discussed on Facebook.
Did you read about bin laden getting taken out beforehand on Hillary's wall?

One can only hope you choke on your vomit in your sleep tonight.

vailpass
05-05-2011, 05:27 PM
One can only hope you choke on your vomit in your sleep tonight.

LMAO Quit saying stupid things if you don't want to be called on them.

Chocolate Hog
05-06-2011, 01:49 AM
LMAO Quit saying stupid things if you don't want to be called on them.

So why would a guy who's from Miami say he's trying to make Kansas City his home? Dumbass.

milkman
05-06-2011, 06:45 AM
So why would a guy who's from Miami say he's trying to make Kansas City his home? Dumbass.

Because he wants to go someplace where his lack of intelligence doesn't stand out.

ChiefsandO'sfan
05-09-2011, 05:35 PM
BobGlauberBob Glauber

This just in from 8th circuit court: NHL has filed amicus curiae brief on behalf of NFL ... whatever the hell that means.

ChiefsandO'sfan
05-09-2011, 05:36 PM
AlbertBreerAlbert Breer

Lots of questions why NHL is supporting NFL. Easy: Precedent. All leagues would like to have ability to decertify taken from their unions.

Chocolate Hog
05-09-2011, 06:18 PM
The NHL is still around?

Psyko Tek
05-09-2011, 06:50 PM

Holy Crap I never noticed that
I guess I need things explained to my by posters with brass tigers for an avatar

Saul Good
05-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Holy Crap I never noticed that
I guess I need things explained to my by posters with brass tigers for an avatar

It happens a lot. People just assume I'm an old Jewish guy.

Dave Lane
05-09-2011, 07:34 PM
BobGlauberBob Glauber

This just in from 8th circuit court: NHL has filed amicus curiae brief on behalf of NFL ... whatever the hell that means.

Its a friend of the court brief. Just says this is how we have done it in the NHL this is how you should help The NFL (owners)

ChiefsandO'sfan
05-16-2011, 04:17 PM
AlbertBreerAlbert Breer

Judge Bye again dissents. But the stay is granted.

1 minute

AlbertBreerAlbert Breer

8th circuit grants NFL's motion for stay on appeal.

1 minute agoFavoriteRetweetReply

I HATE THE FUCKING OWNERS

BCD
05-16-2011, 04:22 PM
How long before the Players cave?

Chocolate Hog
05-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Lawlz.

kstater
05-16-2011, 04:24 PM

It'll be a while. Judge Doty will see this and find a way to give the players 100 billion dollars.

chris
AlbertBreerAlbert Breer

Judge Bye again dissents. But the stay is granted.

1 minute

AlbertBreerAlbert Breer

8th circuit grants NFL's motion for stay on appeal.

1 minute agoFavoriteRetweetReply

I HATE THE ****ING OWNERS

Excellent news. Hopefully the players will come back to the table.

Whether 2011 or 2013, it would have been the same mess. Better to deal with it now.

In 2013, Chiefs are going to the Superbowl and we don't want that season screwed up!

Just Passin' By

This decision was only important if the owners lost. The full hearing begins in June. The ruling after that is the one that will matter, as far as real leverage goes.

ChiefsandO'sfan
05-16-2011, 04:25 PM

Owners now have the leverage. This is a complete win for the owners. Players are in trouble, based on judge's words in this ruling.

kstater
05-16-2011, 04:26 PM

CHECK YOUR SOURCE

Dayze
05-16-2011, 04:29 PM
can we get the Judge to also go ahead and rule on removing the bogus Donkey Super Bowls?

kthxbai!

Al Bundy
05-16-2011, 04:30 PM

Owners now have the leverage. This is a complete win for the owners. Players are in trouble, based on judge's words in this ruling.

This is a complete loss for the fans. The owners have already proved they dont give a shit about the fans.

KurtCobain
05-16-2011, 04:33 PM
yup fuck us fans

Chiefs Pantalones
05-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Breakthrough in mediations. Talks are going into the night. Owners are making a new proposal to the players. Progress made between both sides, according to Sal Paolantonio. Both sides are optimistic.

patteeu
05-16-2011, 04:43 PM
This is a complete loss for the fans. The owners have already proved they dont give a shit about the fans.

They may not care about the fans, but the fans' interests and the owners' interests coincide and you couldn't be more wrong with your "complete loss" assessment.

Detoxing
05-16-2011, 04:43 PM
can we get the Judge to also go ahead and rule on removing the bogus Donkey Super Bowls?

kthxbai!

Excellent idea.

BCD
05-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Breakthrough in mediations. Talks are going into the night. Owners are making a new proposal to the players. Progress made between both sides, according to Sal Paolantonio. Both sides are optimistic.Wow. Would be awesome if something comes of this.

Detoxing
05-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Breakthrough in mediations. Talks are going into the night. Owners are making a new proposal to the players. Progress made between both sides, according to Sal Paolantonio. Both sides are optimistic.

Sounds like BS to me.

Brock
05-16-2011, 04:47 PM
I thought granting the stay was a foregone conclusion. I don't see how this changes anything.

vailpass
05-16-2011, 04:49 PM
It'll be a while. Judge Doty will see this and find a way to give the players 100 billion dollars.

LMAO My thoughts exactly.

AustinChief
05-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I thought granting the stay was a foregone conclusion. I don't see how this changes anything.

It doesn't change much really... but it "officially" gives the players no hope of getting any money until at least mid July unless a deal is reached. (and yes this includes the possibility of Doty ruling heavily against the owners... that will definitely go to appeal if it happens)

Chiefs Pantalones
05-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Sounds like BS to me.

Just heard it on ESPN

vailpass
All of this is posturing on both sides.
In this economy and with Billions in gauranteed $ There is NO WAY they don't come together and strike a new CBA. The temp stay is granted as a means of propelling them to negotiate.
No reason to hate or like the players or owners in this. Its just business.

Detoxing
So what's next.

I've been trying not to take sides in all this, but part of me wants the owners to win, mainly because it was the players who dragged this into court. It would be poetic justice if they died by the courts as well.

OTOH...I want some fucking football and I don't wanna miss TC.

Saul Good
05-16-2011, 04:53 PM
This decision was only important if the owners lost. The full hearing begins in June. The ruling after that is the one that will matter, as far as real leverage goes.

How do you figure? The owners have time on their side.

BCD
05-16-2011, 04:54 PM
So what's next.

I've been trying not to take sides in all this, but part of me wants the owners to win, mainly because it was the players who dragged this into court. It would be poetic justice if they died by the courts as well.

:facepalm: They filed suit because they knew the Owners were gonna Lock them out.

ChiefsandO'sfan
05-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Report: “Breakthrough” in talks

Posted by Mike Florio on May 16, 2011, 6:51 PM EDT

AP
And so when it appeared that no progress would be or could be made in mediation with both sides aiming for leverage in lieu of compromise — indeed, Steelers Art Rooney, II, said so on his way into Monday’s talks — it’s fitting in this crazy up-and-down, back-and-forth process that on a day when no one expected progress to be made, progress apparently has been made.

Sal Paolantonio of ESPN reports, citing Hall of Fame defensive end Carl Eller, that a breakthrough has occurred in the negotiations. Eller, who is one of the named plaintiffs in a lawsuit brought by former players and consolidated with the Tom Brady antitrust case, said that U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan asked the owners at the outset of the day to make a new proposal, and the owners have agreed to do so.

Currently, the proposal is being formulated. Per Paolantonio, the players are very encouraged by the developments, and we think they should be. Given that the players never responded to the league’s March 11 offer, the NFL easily could have balked at the request to make a new offer as an invitation to bid against itself. By agreeing to make a new offer, the NFL has shown good faith, which possibly has helped to thaw the relationship between the two sides, at least a little.

The mediation will continue on Monday night until 9:00 p.m. CT, and Paolantonio said the overall mood is improving. The session is scheduled to continue tomorrow only. If real progress is being made, here’s hoping that gets extended.

Whether at this unlikeliest of junctures in the labor dispute a deal can be reached hinges largely on the quality of the offer that the owners make. In many non-economic respects, the offer extended on March 11 was well within the appropriate ballpark, including player-friendly terms like a tabling of the 18-game season for at least two years and the use of third-party arbitration in drug and steroids cases. The key will be, and has been, the money; if the NFL is willing to make firm guarantees on a per-team salary cap with a tight floor and a fair split on the so-called “true up” (i.e., any money earned over and above the league’s revenue projection), a deal could be struck.

There’s still a long way to go, especially since both sides as of this morning seemed to be intent on letting it ride through the Eighth Circuit’s ruling on the lifting of the lockout. Still, the only way to get a deal that both sides truly deem to be satisfactory comes from leveraging the uncertainty into a compromise, and abandoning the quest for the kind of leverage that necessarily will require the side without it to do a bad deal, which would put us right back in this same mess before too long.

Just Passin' By
05-16-2011, 04:55 PM
How do you figure? The owners have time on their side.

Because this was nothing but a motion on the temporary stay leading up to the actual hearing on the stay, which takes place beginning in June.

'emergency' stay - check
temporary stay - check
full stay via appeal - uncertain

BCD
05-16-2011, 04:56 PM
All of this is posturing on both sides.
In this economy and with Billions in gauranteed $ There is NO WAY they don't come together and strike a new CBA. The temp stay is granted as a means of propelling them to negotiate.
No reason to hate or like the players or owners in this. Its just business.I really hope so. Training camp is only 2 mo. away.

Detoxing
:facepalm: They filed suit because they knew the Owners were gonna Lock them out.

They filed suit because they refused to continue negotiations. They could've extended the CBA again and continued talking.

vailpass
So what's next.

OTOH...I want some ****ing football and I don't wanna miss TC.

IMHO both sides will come out winners.
NFLPA could get medical benefits for former players, some sort of concession in raised revenue sharing, delay in additional regular season games, increased salary pool for vets in exchange for rookie cap.

Owners might get a restructure on stadium and other non-tv revenues, salary cap, rookie cap.

Both sides get a gaurantee of labor peace and uninterrupted propserity for years to come.

Detoxing
05-16-2011, 04:58 PM
I really hope so. Training camp is only 2 mo. away.

This.

I have no doubt the season will start. But i really don't want the Chiefs to miss TC. With Haley and RC, i feel like we have an advantage over some teams (ahem, Chargers).

vailpass
05-16-2011, 05:00 PM
I really hope so. Training camp is only 2 mo. away.

Plenty of time. It will happen. Anything else is just bad business. The prospect of damaging this sweet deal becomes more real to those involved every day. The majority of players can't go very long without paychecks; owners don't want to forego a cent of tv/stadium revenues.

Crush
05-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Jamaal Charles needs more negotiations.

Mr. Laz
05-16-2011, 05:03 PM
They may not care about the fans, but the fans' interests and the owners' interests coincide and you couldn't be more wrong with your "complete loss" assessment.
this

Crush
05-16-2011, 05:05 PM
I want some GD football. I want to go back to hating division rivals and talking about football. This board has already reached its poop thread limit.

BCD
05-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Hopefully, the Owners offer a fair deal. I think the Players will accept.