PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Walterfootball.com grades each of our draft picks

The Pest
05-01-2011, 11:50 AM
http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2011kc.php

26. Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh
Jonathan Baldwin is really talented, and the Chiefs are getting a much-needed secondary weapon for Matt Cassel. This pick alone would be a B, but I like that the Chiefs moved down and picked up an extra third. (Pick Grade: A)

55. Rodney Hudson, C, Florida State
This is about the right range for Rodney Hudson. He'll potentially fill a big void for the Chiefs, as Casey Wiegmann could be heading for retirement this offseason. (Pick Grade: B)

70. Justin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia
A predictable drop for Justin Houston, who tested positive for marijuana at the Combine. Houston may have been a mid first-round pick otherwise, so the Chiefs are getting a steal, much like the Patriots did with Aaron Hernandez in Round 4 last year. Houston could be a great complement for Tamba Hali. (Pick Grade: A)

86. Allen Bailey, DE/DT, Miami
Allen Bailey doesn't fill a big need for the Chiefs, but he's a value selection at the end of the third round. Bailey could have easily gone in the second round. He'll push Tyson Jackson. (Pick Grade: B)

118. Jalil Brown, CB, Colorado
I'm not crazy about this pick. I didn't feel like cornerback was a big need for the Chiefs, though drafting one doesn't hurt. Plus, Jalil Brown isn't a great value or anything. He fits the range as a mid-Round 4 prospect, but meh... (Pick Grade: C)

135. Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa
I thought the Chiefs would take Ricky Stanzi in Round 4, so I like the value the Chiefs are getting at the top of the fifth round. Matt Cassel imploded in the playoffs and figures to struggle without Charlie Weis. Stanzi is a nice project who could take over for Cassel in a couple of years. (Pick Grade: A)

140. Gabe Miller, DE/OLB, Oregon State
Who the hell is Gabe Miller? Seriously. He's not on my board. He's not on Scouts Inc.'s board. He's No. 286 at NFL Draft Scout. What a weird pick. (Pick Grade: F)

199. Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss
Has Scott Pioli found his Vince Wilfork? Maybe. Jerrell Powe is a great value pick at the bottom of the sixth round. He was once considered a Round 2 prospect, but was slated for the fourth or fifth round by most. (Pick Grade: A)

223. Shane Bannon, FB, Yale
As I wrote in another spot, I have no problem with a team taking a fullback in Round 7. I just feel like there were better ones available. (Pick Grade: C)

DeezNutz
05-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Yep. Pretty much spot on.

Damn good draft.

Bump
05-01-2011, 11:54 AM
yup, I have to agree.

L.A. Chieffan
05-01-2011, 11:55 AM
stanzi sucks

notorious
05-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Gabe Miller take is priceless ROFL

banyon
05-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Seems like a better take than ESPN or CBS.

The Pest
05-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Oakland Raiders

48. Stefen Wisniewski, C/G, Penn State
This makes too much sense. The Raiders have a huge need at center, and Stefen Wisniewski is the best player at that position in this class (I'm counting Mike Pouncey as a guard). Oakland had a great 2010 NFL Draft, and they're off to a good start this year. (Pick Grade: A)

81. DeMarcus Van Dyke, CB, Miami
I'm not going with any "great playa" jokes because I've always felt that DeMarcus Van Dyke was an underrated prospect. I'm glad to see him go in Round 3 because he's very talented. The Raiders needed a corner given that Nnamdi Asomugha probably won't be back next year. (Pick Grade: B)

92. Joseph Barksdale, OT, LSU
Let me get this out of the way - Joseph Barksdale fills a need on a pedestrian offensive line and provides decent value at the bottom of Round 3. This pick alone would probably be a B.

However, the Raiders acquired this selection from New England 10 picks ahead of time. What if Barksdale wasn't on the board? And why do the Raiders continue to trade away future early-round selections? They really need to stop doing this. It's getting ridiculous. (Pick Grade: Undead Al)

113. Chimdi Chekwa, CB, Ohio State
Another "great playa" for Al Davis! I actually really like this selection. I slotted Chimdi Chekwa to the Raiders in the third round of my 2011 NFL Mock Draft, so Oakland is getting some value with this speedy corner. They really had to address the position. (Pick Grade: A)

125. Taiwan Jones, RB, Eastern Washington
I better not receive another e-mail from a Raider fan telling me that the "great playa" jokes are played out. The only reason I didn't mock Taiwan Jones to Oakland is because I didn't think he'd be available past the middle of Round 4. Jones provides great value, but I'm not sure how he fits. He doesn't project as a great complement for Darren McFadden. (Pick Grade: C)

148. Denarius Moore, WR, Tennessee
It wouldn't be an NFL Draft if the Raiders didn't select a speedy receiver. Denarius Moore is really good value pick in the middle of Round 5. He was projected into the third round by some. (Pick Grade: A)

181. Richard Gordon, TE, Miami
Who? Richard Gordon is not in the top 400 anywhere. He must have timed quickly in the 40, or something. Who knows with Al Davis? (Pick Grade: 5 Sacrificed Virgins)

241. David Ausberry, TE, USC
The Raiders are taking an athletic player with a fast 40 time? Say it ain't so! (Pick Grade: C)

The Pest
05-01-2011, 11:59 AM
San Diego Chargers

18. Corey Liuget, DE/DT, Illinois
No Cameron Jordan? I had Corey Liuget available here in my 2011 NFL Mock Draft, and I would have mocked him to San Diego if I thought he could play the 3-4. At just 6-2, Liuget doesn't project as a good fit for the Chargers' defense, so I'm giving this a C. But as I wrote in the Redskins' grade page, scheme projections are really tricky. (Pick Grade: C)

50. Marcus Gilchrist, S/CB, Clemson
A little bit early. Marcus Gilchrist is a Mike Mayock favorite, but where does he fit in? His natural position is safety, but the Chargers don't have a need for that. The good news is that Gilchrist will automatically improve San Diego's dreadful special teams. (Pick Grade: C)

61. Jonas Mouton, ILB, Michigan
Worst pick in the second round - and it's not even close. Neither Scouts Inc. nor CBS had Jonas Mouton in their top 150, and yet San Diego picked this guy at 61!? How about 161? Mouton will help on special teams, but... yeah. Epic fail. (Pick Grade: Millen on Roofies)

82. Vincent Brown, WR, San Diego State
Vincent Brown was a rising prospect heading into the final week of the 2011 NFL Draft, so it doesn't surprise me to see him in the third round. Brown ran a poor 40, so I'm glad to see that he wasn't hurt at all by the stopwatch. He makes sense for the Chargers, who may lose either Vincent Jackson or Malcom Floyd soon. (Pick Grade: B)

89. Shareece Wright, CB, USC
The Chargers needed cornerback depth going into the 2011 NFL Draft, so this is a solid pick. Shareece Wright definitely fits the range; most services had him as a Round 3-4 prospect. (Pick Grade: B)

183. Jordan Todman, RB, Connecticut
A replacement for Darren Sproles, Jordan Todman was a steal in the middle of the sixth round. He should have gone much earlier than this. (Pick Grade: A)

201. Steve Schilling, G, Michigan
The Chargers get another great value in the sixth round. Steve Schilling was projected to come off the board early on Day 3. (Pick Grade: A)

234. Andrew Gachkar, ST, Missouri
I never imagined that Andrew Gachkar would get drafted. He might contribute on special teams, which I guess is exactly what San Diego is looking for. (Pick Grade: C)

The Pest
05-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Denver Broncos

2011 NFL Draft Grades:

Let me make something clear - Von Miller can play in the 4-3. I never said he can't. What I did say was that his pass-rushing talents (his best attribute) would be wasted in the 4-3. In Denver's scheme, Miller can only rush on third down and second-and-long. He's going to have to learn how to play SAM otherwise.

Now, this is all well and good if the Broncos could stop the run and force the opposition into obvious passing downs. But they couldn't last year, and they certainly won't be able to in 2011. Where are the defensive tackles? As my friend Hunter Ansley of DraftZoo.com joked on Twitter (@draftzoo), "Denver is going to look odd when they roll out a 2-5-4 defense that doesn't utilize any defensive tackles."

Having said all that, Denver's 2011 NFL Draft was not a disaster. John Elway was able to acquire some talented prospects, including Miller, Rahim Moore and Quinton Carter. I also liked the two late selections, Virgil Green and Jeremy Beal, both of whom were projected to go much earlier than the seventh round.

Overall 2011 NFL Draft Grade given on 5/1/11: C+

2011 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

2. Von Miller, DE/OLB, Texas A&M
As I wrote in my mock draft, I don't understand why the Broncos are going to pick Von Miller for their new 4-3. Miller's best quality is rush the passer, but he's not going to be able to do that on first and second down. He's also going to have to learn a brand new position.

The decision to pick Miller deserves an F. However, Miller is a phenomenal A-type talent. Average the two grades together and you get... (Pick Grade: C)

45. Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA
I like that the Broncos traded down and still obtained Rahim Moore, whom they could have easily selected at No. 36. Moore definitely fits the range and potentially upgrades the secondary. This is a really good pick. (Pick Grade: A)

46. Orlando Franklin, OT/G, Miami
I don't like this second-round pick nearly as much. Orlando Franklin fills a need, but he's a bit of a reach here. Franklin may not be able to play right tackle, and he has some injury concerns. He attended the medical re-check on April 8. (Pick Grade: C)

67. Nate Irving, ILB, N.C. State
This is a lot like Denver's previous pick, Orlando Franklin, minus the injury concern. Nate Irving is a slight reach atop Round 3, but the Broncos are desperate for 4-3 personnel. (Pick Grade: C)

108. Quinton Carter, S, Oklahoma
Another safety? It's not like the Broncos didn't need two safeties, and Quinton Carter is one of the top players available. This is a solid pick. Defensive tackle still hasn't been addressed, however. (Pick Grade: B)

129. Julius Thomas, TE, Portland State
I thought John Fox didn't like pass-catching tight ends? Julius Thomas has immense upside. He won't contribute much in 2011, but he could be a big part of the offense the following year. (Pick Grade: B)

189. Mike Mohamed, ILB, California
More 4-3 personnel. Mike Mohamed was projected to be selected in Rounds 6-7, so this is a solid choice at No. 189. (Pick Grade: B)

204. Virgil Green, TE, Nevada
Again, I didn't think John Fox liked pass-catching tight ends. Two weren't needed, but Virgil Green is a major steal atop Round 7. He was projected to go in the fourth round. (Pick Grade: A)

247. Jeremy Beal, DE, Oklahoma
It's about time. Jeremy Beal was once a second-round prospect, but a poor 2010 season really hurt him. The Broncos are getting great value at the end of the 2011 NFL Draft. (Pick Grade: A)

Mr. Arrowhead
05-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Funny I said the same about gabe miller ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Laz
05-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Gabe Miller and Shane Bannon were a bit WTF but other than that the draft was pretty dam good.

:shrug:

i imagine Miller is someones "pet" pick ... i can live with screwing up a 5th and 7th round pick each year if we get the rest of them right.

on a side note: I imagine saying positive things about a Pioli draft must of really hurt Walter's.

Saul Good
05-01-2011, 12:34 PM
I saw plenty of people calling for Baldwin at 21. We got him at 27(26). I also saw people calling for Houston at 21, and we got him in the third round with the pick we got for trading back from 21 to 27. I saw people calling for Stanzi in the second, and we got him in the fifth. People wanted us to trade up in the third, grab Powe, and call it a draft. We got him in the sixth.

If someone would have offered up a draft in which, as the result of trades and whatnot, the entirety of our selections would be Baldwin, Hudson, Houston, Stanzi, and Powe, anyone would have taken that in a heartbeat. Bailey, Brown, Miller, and Bannon are just icing on the cake, and I'll bet 3 of them make the team.

I think we got 3 immediate (or very nearly immediate) starters in Baldwin, Hudson, and Houston. I think Bailey, Brown, and Powe all have a chance to be in the rotation right away with the opportunity to become starters down the line (Brown might not start, but he could be our #1 in the nickel down the road).

I don't know anything about Miller or Bannon, so I don't have much of a take on them, but I don't mind the idea of a tank at Fullback.

I'm not a fan of Stanzi, but I like the selection based on value alone. He certainly fills a need at backup QB. If he can turn into a player, it will be a great pick.

Overall, I like this draft at least as much as 2008, especially when taking into account the fact that we were picking 15+ spots later.

EricBerryCrunch
05-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Jerrell Powe was a monster in the SEC. I really like that pick.

suzzer99
05-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Would be hilarious if Gabe Miller becomes the next Jared Allen.

-King-
05-01-2011, 01:26 PM
(Pick Grade: Millen on Roofies)

ROFL ROFL

DTLB58
05-01-2011, 03:29 PM
I really like this analysis. Would add after listening to the Pioli PC...

Jalil Brown: Will be a big time contributor on special Teams.

Gabe Miller: Project as a pass rusher/TE maybe kinda reminds him of Vrabel.

ChiefaRoo
05-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Gabe Miller is either the next GWH or well, Billy Baber

the Talking Can
05-01-2011, 04:08 PM
61. Jonas Mouton, ILB, Michigan
Worst pick in the second round - and it's not even close. Neither Scouts Inc. nor CBS had Jonas Mouton in their top 150, and yet San Diego picked this guy at 61!? How about 161? Mouton will help on special teams, but... yeah. Epic fail. (Pick Grade: Millen on Roofies)

LMAO

CaliforniaChief
05-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I half-wonder if some of those guys like Houston/Baldwin were available because nobody though we'd touch someone with any character flaws with a 10-foot pole. It almost worked to our advantage.

I'm thrilled with the draft. We brought in some guys who immediately improve this team. We filled some big-time needs, and built depth. Of course the proof is in the on-field results, but I couldn't have asked for much more.

Mr. Laz
05-01-2011, 04:30 PM
I just hope our locker room character is strong enough to keep these guys on the straight and narrow.

kysirsoze
05-01-2011, 04:34 PM
It's weird how different people's opinions of our draft are this year. ESPN and others blasted our Houston pick as a head scratcher and a bad risk. Other sources hail it as possibly the best pick of our draft. A bunch of other differences as well. (They're all pretty much WTF on Miller.)

Ugly Duck
05-01-2011, 04:53 PM
70. Justin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia
A predictable drop for Justin Houston, who tested positive for marijuana at the Combine. Many scouts question the IQ of a guy that "forgot" about drug testing at the Combine. Could be trouble for KC. Big trouble. The troubled draftee is very troubling. (Pick Grade: WTF)

Rumor is that Justin hangs with Jamarcus. Very troubling.

Marcellus
05-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I just hope our locker room character is strong enough to keep these guys on the straight and narrow.

Dwayne Bowe was probably the only real knucklehead on the team last year, remember the off season he had?

Well he was also 1 of only 2 outstanding players on offense (JC being the other) an had his best season yet.

I like the chances we don't have issues with these guys and I like the fact they are taking a risk looking for a possible great reward.

SAUTO
05-01-2011, 04:56 PM

Gotta link?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ugly Duck
05-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Gotta link?

Link? I don't need no stinkin' link to start a rumor....

SAUTO
05-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks for clearing that up
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious
05-01-2011, 05:03 PM

ROFL

factortobe
05-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Houston will be great and miller will be better than von miller just watch and see

KurtCobain
05-01-2011, 05:18 PM
I'd give the Hudson pick more of a B+/A- than just a B, but yeah. Sounds about right.

The Pest
05-02-2011, 09:24 AM
He updated it with our overall grade.

No one is talking about Kansas City's draft, but I think Scott Pioli did a really good job. Pioli spent the entire weekend filling needs by selecting some of the better players on the board. He even picked up an extra third-rounder after trading down five spots on Thursday night.

The additions of Jonathan Baldwin to the receiving corps and Rodney Hudson to the interior of the offensive front may help offset the loss of Charlie Weis. Meanwhile, Justin Houston and Jerrell Powe could actually make big contributions as rookies despite being chosen in the third and sixth round, respectively.

I didn't like a couple of the Chiefs' late-round selections, but overall, I'm a fan of this draft class.

Overall 2011 NFL Draft Grade given on 5/1/11: A-

Chiefnj2
05-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Draft grades are going to depend on whether the evaluator places a high value on character concerns. If they do, KC is going to get a full letter grade lower than people on the Planet because of the concerns with Baldwin and Houston. Plus, others are going to view Miller as really suspect and dont' view Powe as a starter as many on this board feel he was worthy of a 2nd or 3rd.

buddha
05-02-2011, 09:44 AM
I think the Walter Camp writer just about hit it spot on. Terrific analysis.

ChiTown
05-02-2011, 10:13 AM
The only Chiefs WTF moment (AND IT WAS A BIG ONE) of this draft was the Miller pick. We could have had another OL pick here, which is absolutely what we should have done. If Marcus Cannon had not been selected by the Pat's at 138, maybe we would have selected him instead of Miller. Whatever the case, that pick was a :banghead:.

The rest of the draft was absolutely awesome, imo.

Rausch
05-02-2011, 10:23 AM
I can't really argue with much here...

tyton75
05-02-2011, 10:24 AM

well, its much easier to cut a 3rd rounder than a 1st rounder. so I'm still ok with it

The Pest
05-02-2011, 10:25 AM
The only Chiefs WTF moment (AND IT WAS A BIG ONE) of this draft was the Miller pick. We could have had another OL pick here, which is absolutely what we should have done. If Marcus Cannon had not been selected by the Pat's at 138, maybe we would have selected him instead of Miller. Whatever the case, that pick was a :banghead:.

I wonder if we had planned to draft Jah Reid in the 3rd but the Ravens traded ahead of us.....and we went with Bailey instead.

ChiTown
05-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Hudson is a fuggin great pick. I'm telling you, we just found a rock solid starting Center for the next 8-10 years.

Rausch
05-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Hudson is a fuggin great pick. I'm telling you, we just found a rock solid starting Center for the next 8-10 years.

Agreed.

He's Will Shields at C...

ChiTown
05-02-2011, 10:31 AM
I wonder if we had planned to draft Jah Reid in the 3rd but the Ravens traded ahead of us.....and we went with Bailey instead.

You may be right. Reid has great size and durability, and will be a very good NFL RT.

Chiefnj2
05-02-2011, 10:40 AM
I guess I'm the only planeteer not thrilled with Hudson. After having problems with undersized centers the last few years, I'm really concerned about Hudson being able to take on NTs. He supposedly played in the upper 270s at Florida State, came in weighing heavier at the senior bowl, but looked sloppy and couldn't handle the bigger DL.

I'm not sure I see a good fit for a team that claims they want to be a power running team. Hopefully he can add some bulk and maintain his dexterity.

MahiMike
05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
I half-wonder if some of those guys like Houston/Baldwin were available because nobody though we'd touch someone with any character flaws with a 10-foot pole. It almost worked to our advantage.

I'm thrilled with the draft. We brought in some guys who immediately improve this team. We filled some big-time needs, and built depth. Of course the proof is in the on-field results, but I couldn't have asked for much more.

Yet another analogy to playing poker. If they think you're one type of player, mix it up to keep them guessing.

Cave Johnson
05-02-2011, 11:17 AM

The more I ready about him, the more I'm ok with Pouncey going before 21. At 299, he's a better C prospect than G.

Just an outstanding combination of value at a position of extreme need.

Saul Good
05-02-2011, 11:20 AM
The more I ready about him, the more I'm ok with Pouncey going before 21. At 299, he's a better C prospect than G.

Just an outstanding combination of value at a position of extreme need.

Care to elaborate on that? Its a little ambiguous, as I can't tell who "he" refers to. Also, I'm curious what you've heard that influences your opinion.

Cave Johnson
05-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Care to elaborate on that? Its a little ambiguous, as I can't tell who "he" refers to. Also, I'm curious what you've heard that influences your opinion.

Hudson. 1 penalty last year smacks of a Pioli pick.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69086&draftyear=2011&genpos=OG

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2090

The Bad Guy
05-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Hudson's frame can handle more weight. I'm sure they are going to have him on a program to help him gain some weight.

Bump
05-02-2011, 11:27 AM

I have to agree, WTF? But, overall I grade the draft a B+ and I figure at least half of our draft picks are going to make an immediate impact.

milkman
05-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I guess I'm the only planeteer not thrilled with Hudson. After having problems with undersized centers the last few years, I'm really concerned about Hudson being able to take on NTs. He supposedly played in the upper 270s at Florida State, came in weighing heavier at the senior bowl, but looked sloppy and couldn't handle the bigger DL.

I'm not sure I see a good fit for a team that claims they want to be a power running team. Hopefully he can add some bulk and maintain his dexterity.

Hudson is a really technically sound player.
He won't win many battles on sheer strength, but he's a guy that gets a good puch with his hands underneath the pad level and redirects.

Generally, the guy that wins the leverage battle wins the play, and Hudson will win most of the time.

KCrockaholic
05-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Hudson. 1 penalty last year smacks of a Pioli pick.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69086&draftyear=2011&genpos=OG

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2090

And zero sacks allowed BTW.

GordonGekko
05-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Would be hilarious if Gabe Miller becomes the next Jared Allen.

I'd take it

suzzer99
05-03-2011, 02:03 AM
4 penalties in college career for Hudson is sick

salame
05-03-2011, 02:06 AM
I'd hit it

chiefscafan
05-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Ok my take on the picks

Baldwin: great potential if attitude is in check

Hudson: stud saw him at senior bowl I think was dominating people starter day 1

Houston: Worried bout drug problem but a first rounder in the third had to take him

Bailey: funny we took him because I took him in alt draft he's a stud too Tyson better come to play or he's gonna be replaced again.

Brown: Have to say don't know much bout him being in CA not big 12 territory

Stanzi: Not sure saw the awful game he played that knocked Iowa out of contention. Wasn't too impressed. However Zorn is our QB coach remember guys and he would have had to give his nod on the pick. The thing most reports say is everything he does badly is correctable. We have one of the best QB development guys out there working with him so who knows. Worse case he's a great backup that maybe can win a game or two.

Gabe miller: don't know anything bout hi
Insurrance if Houston keeps toking up I guess lol. Besides none of us knew who Jared Allen was I have to admit I thought cool a great long snapper so u never know.

Powe: potentially the steal of the entire draft I've seen hi
Play being a Bama fan. He is a 10 plus year starter. Don't know how long it will take him to start but once he gets in there he's never giving that spot up.

Banon: well he's smart and big besides that don't know much bout him

chiefscafan
05-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Overall take is we took some risks but if they pan out with the last two drafts we might've found future stars and the playmakers who will lead us on super bowl runs for the next six or so years.

eazyb81
05-03-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm actually surprised more media members are not questioning the Baldwin pick a little more. Not in terms of value, but whether or not he will get enough separation at the next level to avoid being the next big WR with skills that do not translate to the pro game.

Guys like Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett, and Matt Jones have struggled despite their size advantage. The pro game has shifted to favor more shifty and quick WRs that can separate.

The obvious hope is that Baldwin's game grows to compare more towards Colston, V. Jackson, and maybe even Marshall, but I'm not 100% sold on it yet despite the fact I loved the pick.