PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Obama does something Bush couldn't ... kill Bin laden

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mr. Laz
05-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Bin Laden Is Dead, Sources Confirm

Published May 01, 2011
| FoxNews.com
http://a57.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Politics/397/224/binladenfinal.jpg
AP
In this April 1998 file photo, exiled Al Qaeda leader Usama bin Laden is seen in Afghanistan. (AP)

Usama bin Laden is dead, putting an end to the worldwide manhunt that began nearly a decade ago on Sept. 11, 2001. The architect of the deadliest terror attack on U.S. soil was killed a week ago inside Pakistan by a U.S. bomb.
President Obama announced the stunning development during an address to the nation late Sunday night from the White House.
“Tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world that the United States has conducted an operation that killed Usama bin Laden, the leader of Al Qaeda.”
The U.S. had been waiting for the results of a DNA test to confirm his identity before going public. Sources said the vice president informed congressional leaders late Sunday night that the world’s most wanted man had indeed been killed.
The announcement comes nearly a decade after the 2001 terror attacks which triggered the Afghanistan war and started a tireless hunt for the terrorist mastermind and Al Qaeda leader.
In recent years, that hunt had increasingly led U.S. intelligence across the border and into Pakistan, where Al Qaeda is thought to be concentrated.
In light of bin Laden’s death, authorities around the world are being urged to take security precautions. One source said officials are concerned bin Laden’s death could incite violence or terrorist acts against U.S. personnel overseas.

RINGLEADER
05-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Lol

Norman Einstein
05-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Bin Laden Is Dead, Sources Confirm

Published May 01, 2011
| FoxNews.com
http://a57.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Politics/397/224/binladenfinal.jpg
AP
In this April 1998 file photo, exiled Al Qaeda leader Usama bin Laden is seen in Afghanistan. (AP)

Usama bin Laden is dead, putting an end to the worldwide manhunt that began nearly a decade ago on Sept. 11, 2001. The architect of the deadliest terror attack on U.S. soil was killed a week ago inside Pakistan by a U.S. bomb.
President Obama announced the stunning development during an address to the nation late Sunday night from the White House.
“Tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world that the United States has conducted an operation that killed Usama bin Laden, the leader of Al Qaeda.”
The U.S. had been waiting for the results of a DNA test to confirm his identity before going public. Sources said the vice president informed congressional leaders late Sunday night that the world’s most wanted man had indeed been killed.
The announcement comes nearly a decade after the 2001 terror attacks which triggered the Afghanistan war and started a tireless hunt for the terrorist mastermind and Al Qaeda leader.
In recent years, that hunt had increasingly led U.S. intelligence across the border and into Pakistan, where Al Qaeda is thought to be concentrated.
In light of bin Laden’s death, authorities around the world are being urged to take security precautions. One source said officials are concerned bin Laden’s death could incite violence or terrorist acts against U.S. personnel overseas.

Get it straight, Obama didn't get Bin Laden, he is the president and approved the mission once he was located.

It's great news, but to claim a great victory for Obama is just wrong, this is a win for all Americans around the world.

dirk digler
05-01-2011, 11:12 PM
and off we go

NewChief
05-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Obama is a triple agent. He infiltrated bin Laden's madrassa under the guise of a muslim brother and killed the bitch himself.

Hey... it's as likely as the narrative that some idiots peddle around here.

petegz28
05-01-2011, 11:13 PM
So Obama shot him????

go bowe
05-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Obama is a triple agent. He infiltrated bin Laden's madrassa under the guise of a muslim brother and killed the bitch himself.

Hey... it's as likely as the narrative that some idiots peddle around here.nah, he had a ghost writer do it /ss

go bowe
05-01-2011, 11:14 PM
So Obama shot him????

hellava shot too...

petegz28
05-01-2011, 11:15 PM
hellava shot too...

Pretty fucking high powered rifle. I gots to get one of thems.

Dave Lane
05-01-2011, 11:16 PM
So Obama shot him????

Yes Pete I believe he did.

KILLER_CLOWN
05-01-2011, 11:17 PM
killed a week ago inside Pakistan by a U.S. bomb

Sounds like Obama pushed the button and nailed him.

chris
IT took 10 years, but an AMERICAN president gave the order.

I'm surprised, pleased, and proud of Obama for once.

Tonight, we are all Americans, not democrats or republicans or independents.

dirk digler

Hey... it's as likely as the narrative that some idiots peddle around here.

LMAO

I bet that is how it went down.

http://i.imgur.com/KDssc.jpg

petegz28
Yes Pete I believe he did.

Heh, you'd think Bush would be the better shot!

KILLER_CLOWN
05-01-2011, 11:19 PM

Sounds like New Years Eve, now everyone will wake up with a hangover and hate each other tomorrow like no other.

CrazyPhuD
05-01-2011, 11:38 PM

The problem is I have 110% certainty that order was given no less than 20 times before. The difference this time is that the intel was good.

Consider this, it happened in Pakistan, almost certainly without the approval of the Pakistani government. Had they failed you would never have heard about it and any troops killed in the mission would have been killed in a 'training accident' or in another part of Afghanistan. That is the nature of covert ops. This belongs to NO politician. This one belongs to the intel agents and the troops involved. The vast majority of which you will never know who they were. That is the nature of black ops, they simply do not exist. Truly unsung heroes.

Pitt Gorilla
05-01-2011, 11:43 PM
The problem is I have 110% certainty that order was given no less than 20 times before. The difference this time is that the intel was good.

Consider this, it happened in Pakistan, almost certainly without the approval of the Pakistani government. Had they failed you would never have heard about it and any troops killed in the mission would have been killed in a 'training accident' or in another part of Afghanistan. That is the nature of covert ops. This belongs to NO politician. This one belongs to the intel agents and the troops involved. The vast majority of which you will never know who they were. That is the nature of black ops, they simply do not exist. Truly unsung heroes.IIRC, didn't Obama get beat up (by both sides) because he said he'd give the order to cross into Pakistan to get the SOB? Dude wasn't playin.

Chiefspants
05-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Heh, you'd think Bush would be the better shot!

Cheney certainly wouldn't have been.

Mr. Laz
05-01-2011, 11:55 PM
hey whatever ... Obama gets credit!!

:p :p

obama's dick is bigger
obama's wife is hotter
obama kill bin laden
obama > bush

:moon:

petegz28
05-01-2011, 11:58 PM
hey whatever ... Obama gets credit!!

:p :p

obama's dick is bigger
obama's wife is hotter
obama kill bin laden
obama > bush

:moon:

Dude, you lost it with the wife deal.....

wazu
05-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Not gonna take anything away. Great job by President Obama. Far and away his finest moment. He made the call, and it resulted in one of the most fantastically successful operations ever. Great day!

Mr. Laz
05-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Dude, you lost it with the wife deal.....
neither of them are much of a prize but Obama still wins PBJ

http://www.sandrarose.com/images2/michelle-obama-ebony.jpg

http://159.54.226.237/08_issues/080203/images/080203cover-laura-bush.jpg

Shaid
05-02-2011, 12:03 AM
America got him. Nothing else matters.

SNR

Tonight, we are all Americans, not democrats or republicans or independents.Americans have plenty of things in common. Let me name a few:

1. We all hate the Phelps clan
2. We all like pizza
3. We all think puppies and kitties are cute

I really don't feel any more or less American when this happened.

SNR
Sorry to be "that guy" but this needs to be posted:

‎"All that we have to do is to send two mujahedeen to the furthest point east to raise a piece of cloth on which is written al Qaeda, in order to make generals race there to cause America to suffer human, economic and political losses without their achieving anything of note other than some benefits for their private corporations." - Osama bin Laden, 2004

petegz28
05-02-2011, 12:04 AM
neither of them are much of a prize but Obama still wins PBJ

http://www.sandrarose.com/images2/michelle-obama-ebony.jpg

http://159.54.226.237/08_issues/080203/images/080203cover-laura-bush.jpg

You were the guy who always chased the ugly ones cause they were easier targets, weren't ya?

Mr. Laz
05-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Sorry to be "that guy"
lies

Mr. Laz
05-02-2011, 12:06 AM
You were the guy who always chased the ugly ones cause they were easier targets, weren't ya?
depend on the time of the night and how many drinks ...

:evil:

Mr. Laz
05-02-2011, 12:07 AM
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4310/cj050211dapr1.jpg

CrazyPhuD
05-02-2011, 12:21 AM
IIRC, didn't Obama get beat up (by both sides) because he said he'd give the order to cross into Pakistan to get the SOB? Dude wasn't playin.

And do you think that if Bin Laden where hiding out in a backroom of the kremlin that any President wouldn't have ordered special forces/intel forces in to kill him if they were certain he was there? The only difference the national boundary will make is how deniable the troops are that you send in. I don't think it would have matter where he was anywhere on the planet, he was such a trophy kill that you take that shot.

This is an intel/ops victory and no politician worth his salt should take credit for it. Doesn't matter if they are republican or democrat.

petegz28
05-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Pakistan knew this was going to happen. They gave us the lead last summer. They didn't know the specifics of this operation and probably best for them they didn't. But you don't tell us where he is hiding and then expect us not to do anything about it.

Frankie
05-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Get it straight, Obama didn't get Bin Laden, he is the president and approved the mission once he was located.

And of course if Bush was POTUS today you'd not be singing a diametrically different tune!

(Damn I wish we had a 'sarcasm' emoticon)

Frankie
05-02-2011, 12:40 AM
OBAMA - 1
OSAMA - 0

RINGLEADER
05-02-2011, 12:41 AM
I'm just glad he's dead...Good job to anyone and everyone who was involved...

suzzer99
05-02-2011, 12:42 AM
Monday I predict Fox News will focus more on the glory of the event and mention Obama as little as possible. Then the rest of the week provide endless criticism of how he handled the aftermath. One good possible topic I'm sure they're already strategizing on - handling the body in accordance with Muslim customs.

2bikemike
05-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Way to go Navy Seals. Those guys truly are bad ass.

Personally I wish this was done in Bush's tenure just to so it would have been done years ago. But Once he left office the torch passed to Obama. I am glad Osama got his due by the hands of our military and not from natural causes or from whatever disease he fights.

stevieray
05-02-2011, 12:58 AM
ya, it's interesting, because back in the day, Dems always claimed that if we killed him, he 'd just be replaced and all we were doing was inviting and recruiting more terrorism.... and how it wasn't worth American lives but now it's used as some sort of rah rah my dad can beat up your dad in a political context?....reeks of desperation and hypocrisy...his death avenges those who were slain and their families on 9/11..and that, IMO is where the focus should lie...

SNR
05-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Monday I predict Fox News will focus more on the glory of the event and mention Obama as little as possible. Then the rest of the week provide endless criticism of how he handled the aftermath. One good possible topic I'm sure they're already strategizing on - handling the body in accordance with Muslim customs.Democrats are politicizing it. Only natural for Republicans to respond in turn.

By the way i think Rush Limbaugh and others will rip Obama starting tomorrow morning. The rest of the conservative news media will follow in kind in a few days

Ugly Duck
05-02-2011, 01:10 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JRY_BOYeySc?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JRY_BOYeySc?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

WASHINGTON | Wed Aug 1, 2007 7:26pm EDT
(Reuters) - Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama said on Wednesday the United States must be willing to strike al Qaeda targets inside Pakistan, adopting a tough tone after a chief rival accused him of naivete in foreign policy.

Obama said if elected in November 2008 he would be willing to attack inside Pakistan with or without approval from the Pakistani government, a move that would likely cause anxiety in the already troubled region.

When asked why he thinks "it's a bad idea to send more resources to hunt down bin Laden wherever he is," Bush said: "Because, first of all, Pakistan is a sovereign nation. ... we've got to be invited by the government of Pakistan."

White House press secretary Tony Snow addressed Obama's pledge to take action against "high-value terrorist targets" in Pakistan.... Snow said: "[O]ur approach to Pakistan is one that not only respects the sovereignty of Pakistan as a sovereign government, but is also designed to work in a way where we are working in cooperation with the local government."

Direckshun
05-02-2011, 01:31 AM
OBAMA - 1
OSAMA - 0

Talk about sudden death...

Direckshun
05-02-2011, 01:31 AM
By the way i think Rush Limbaugh and others will rip Obama starting tomorrow morning. The rest of the conservative news media will follow in kind in a few days

I completely agree... but I fail to see what there is to rip?

BillSelfsTrophycase
05-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Fuck the partisan bullshit

Today is a good day

suzzer99
05-02-2011, 01:38 AM
I completely agree... but I fail to see what there is to rip?

Really? This is easy stuff for them.

My (Glenn Beck fan) trainer was ripping Obama for not being more excited in the press conference. I think they'll rip Obama for giving him a Muslim burial. They'll say he's trying to capitalize on intelligence and plans started by Bush or that all credit should go to the military and Obama should stop hogging the spotlight. They'll erroneously suggest that Obama knew about this when he was capping on Trump, then not really make much of a retraction (or word it very cleverly so it sounds like that's what they're saying but could be interpreted the other way). They'll poke fun at his overly dramatic walk from the podium.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure much more creative intelligent minds than me are brainstorming on possible Obama attack vectors on this, and how long to wait to use them.

Okie_Apparition
05-02-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm sure they name the pike they place his head on after Ronald Reagan

petegz28
05-02-2011, 01:39 AM
I think it is time to start getting our bags packed and come back home. No, this does not mean I think the war on terror is over. But I think this ices the cake for Afghanistan. If getting Bin Laden isn't enough then we are destined to be there forever.

suzzer99
05-02-2011, 01:40 AM
Unfortunately the Taliban are not led by Bin Laden.

Direckshun
05-02-2011, 01:42 AM

My (Glenn Beck fan) trainer was ripping Obama for not being more excited in the press conference. I think they'll rip Obama for giving him a Muslim burial. They'll say he's trying to capitalize on intelligence and plans started by Bush or that all credit should go to the military and Obama should stop hogging the spotlight. They'll erroneously suggest that Obama knew about this when he was capping on Trump, then not really make much of a retraction (or word it very cleverly so it sounds like that's what they're saying but could be interpreted the other way). They'll poke fun at his overly dramatic walk from the podium.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure much more creative intelligent minds than me are brainstorming on possible Obama attack vectors on this, and how long to wait to use them.

Propaganda never sleeps, does it.

Direckshun
05-02-2011, 01:43 AM
I think it is time to start getting our bags packed and come back home. No, this does not mean I think the war on terror is over. But I think this ices the cake for Afghanistan. If getting Bin Laden isn't enough then we are destined to be there forever.

That's exactly what happened in Iraq, so your post is completely reasonable.

petegz28
05-02-2011, 01:43 AM

The Taliban are out of power and it is more than due time for Afghans to take on this fight for themselves. We can assist in other ways but it's time our kids quit spilling their blood over there.

Jerm
05-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Propaganda never sleeps, does it.

As we've witnessed with tonight's events.

SNR
05-02-2011, 03:01 AM
I completely agree... but I fail to see what there is to rip?I didn't watch Obama speak tonight because honestly I didn't really give a hoot about getting bin Laden. But knowing Rush, he finds stuff all the time.

For instance, after the Gabby Gifford(s) (can never remember if it's with or without the s) Rush was fuming over the fact that Obama gave a speech after he visited her at the hospital and how he acted like he was some fancy asshole like MLK Jr when he said, "Gabby opened her eyes for the first time". He did his incredibly racist Obama impression and everything

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Does this mean we pull out of Afghanistan now? Probably not.

craneref
05-02-2011, 06:13 AM
I am glad to be corrected, because I obviously incorrectly assumed that the Military killed Osama!! :banghead:

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 06:22 AM

He sponsored them as opposed to Americans thinking the Taliban sponsored BinLaden.
The Taliban have made efforts to negotiate previously anyway. They're not our real enemy.

RedNeckRaider
05-02-2011, 06:35 AM
I am glad to be corrected, because I obviously incorrectly assumed that the Military killed Osama!! :banghead:

Silly me I thought the same thing~

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Silly me I thought the same thing~

I'm so proud of those Navy Seals. Up front and close —executed in 40 minutes. They are efficient tough mutha's. Geez! OBL was living in a villa, not a cave, built no more than 100 miles from the Pakistani capital. It was a joint operation with the Pakistani govt and CIA....and we never knew he was there?

I've said all along this type of operation was a better way to go than over reliance on conventional warfare that just winds up killing more civilians than needed creating recruits for terrorism.

RedNeckRaider
05-02-2011, 06:49 AM
I'm so proud of those Navy Seals. Up front and close —executed in 40 minutes. They are efficient tough mutha's. Geez! OBL was living in a villa, not a cave, built no more than 100 miles from the Pakistani capital. It was a joint operation with the Pakistani govt and CIA....and we never knew he was there?

I've said all along this type of operation was a better way to go than over reliance on conventional warfare that just winds up killing more civilians than needed creating recruits for terrorism.

We certainly need to reevaluate our strategy in the Mideast IMO~

Norman Einstein
05-02-2011, 06:53 AM
And of course if Bush was POTUS today you'd not be singing a diametrically different tune!

No Frankie, you are wrong. This is a win for those that lost friends and family at the WTC, at the Pentagon and in PA.

BTW, it wasn't Obama - it was the U.S. Navy Seals that got OBL and regardless of the propaganda splattered about here and last night, this has been an ongoing effort since 9/11.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Baloney Bush let BinLaden escape at Tora Bora, Bush went into Iraq instead, and Bush didn't even think getting BL was that important and Bush wasted many more American soldiers lives than he needed that did not lead to eventually getting BL.

Jerm
05-02-2011, 07:02 AM
Baloney Bush let BinLaden escape at Tora Bora, Bush went into Iraq instead, and Bush didn't even think getting BL was that important and Bush wasted many more American soldiers lives than he needed that did not lead to eventually getting BL.

Wait...those all coincidences....ROFL

blaise
05-02-2011, 07:16 AM

And if Bush were President you'd have many of the people celebrating this posting things like, "This doesn't solve our country's problems. The economy still sucks. This doesn't mean much really."

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Pretty much

trying to keep this thread going

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 07:44 AM
He sponsored them as opposed to Americans thinking the Taliban sponsored BinLaden.
The Taliban have made efforts to negotiate previously anyway. They're not our real enemy.

OBL was a guest of the taliban, they protected, hid and refused to kick out or give him up. That is why they are the enemy.

One could argue the same happened in pakistan as his compound was located by a military facility since 2005. They had to know. But at least pakistan acts like it is our ally and wants to defeat terrorism.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 07:52 AM
http://i.imgur.com/IDsF2.gif

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 07:53 AM
http://i.imgur.com/pRPrT.jpg

acesn8s
05-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Osama is dead. Can we stop letting the TSA sexually assault innocent airplane passengers?

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 08:07 AM
OBL was a guest of the taliban, they protected, hid and refused to kick out or give him up. That is why they are the enemy.

One could argue the same happened in pakistan as his compound was located by a military facility since 2005. They had to know. But at least pakistan acts like it is our ally and wants to defeat terrorism.

Nope. OBL sponsored the Taliban. I haven't heard anything about the Taliban knowing OBL's plan so do 9/11 either. The Taliban offered to give him up to Bush, if he proved OBL was behind 9/11. This was easy for Bush to do.

The Taliban is not our real enemy. They're an excuse for us to stay in Afghanistan while we protect that natural gas pipeline ( owned by a much of financial, mercantilists interests. Kool Aid makes one thirsty for more.

Radar Chief
05-02-2011, 08:15 AM
They buried him at sea? :spock: Are you fucking kidding me? :shake:
Its like they’re trying to create a conspiracy theory out of this.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Nope. OBL sponsored the Taliban. I haven't heard anything about the Taliban knowing OBL's plan so do 9/11 either. The Taliban offered to give him up to Bush, if he proved OBL was behind 9/11. This was easy for Bush to do. The Taliban is not our real enemy. They're an excuse for us to stay in Afghanistan while we protect that natural gas pipeline ( owned by a much of financial, mercantilists interests. Kool Aid makes one thirsty for more.

Nope. Wrong. OBL admitted he was behind 9-11. He was NEVER offered to us by the taliban. They thought of him as their son, and they paid for it with their lives.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 08:20 AM
They buried him at sea? :spock: Are you ****ing kidding me? :shake:

I would think keeping the evidence for a while would have been better. So Dr. Temperence Brennan could get on it.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Nope. OBL sponsored the Taliban. I haven't heard anything about the Taliban knowing OBL's plan so do 9/11 either. The Taliban offered to give him up to Bush, if he proved OBL was behind 9/11. This was easy for Bush to do.

The Taliban is not our real enemy. They're an excuse for us to stay in Afghanistan while we protect that natural gas pipeline ( owned by a much of financial, mercantilists interests. Kool Aid makes one thirsty for more.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15749633/bin-laden-dead-u-s-soldiers-reaction-kept-low-key-25086572

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Nope. Wrong. OBL admitted he was behind 9-11. He was NEVER offered to us by the taliban. They thought of him as their son, and they paid for it with their lives.

Did you read what I wrote? Where did I say OBL never admitted he didn't do it. That's why it was so easy to prove. That doesn't mean they read his fatwah or knew immediately. Yes, the Taliban did make that offer and they've tried to negotiate several times, since if we'd get out of Afghanistan. We're there to nation build —period. Enjoy living in Kool-Aidville's press.

kstater
05-02-2011, 08:25 AM
They buried him at sea? :spock: Are you fucking kidding me? :shake:

There probably won't be any doubt as to whether it's him. Photos DNA etc

Jaric
05-02-2011, 08:26 AM
This should not be a partisan issue.

A bad man who did bad things is now dead. Bravo once again to our men and women in uniform. They truely are our best and brightest.

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 08:26 AM
A former Colonel just said on Fox that Bush had actionable intel in 2005 that Bin Laden was in Pakistan but didn't act because of that.

VAChief
05-02-2011, 08:33 AM

It should, it gives the perfect out...this WAS the only justifiable reason for being there in the first place. We were not supposed to be there to rebuild a decrepit ancient civilization.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Did you read what I wrote? Where did I say OBL never admitted he didn't do it. That's why it was so easy to prove. That doesn't mean they read his fatwah or knew immediately. Yes, the Taliban did make that offer and they've tried to negotiate several times, since if we'd get out of Afghanistan. We're there to nation build —period. Enjoy living in Kool-Aidville's press.

:spock: You just said the taliban said they would give up OBL if Bush proved he did it. Bush never had to prove it cause he admitted it.:spock:

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 08:36 AM
It should, it gives the perfect out...this WAS the only justifiable reason for being there in the first place. We were not supposed to be there to rebuild a decrepit ancient civilization.

I agree. But folks on the right, like donger and ForeverChiefs 58, mistakenly believe the Taliban is a threat to a superpower by sending terrorists over here. So we need to stay forever. Forever Afghanistan!! LMAO

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 08:36 AM
:spock: You just said the taliban said they would give up OBL if Bush proved he did it. Bush never had to prove it cause he admitted it.:spock:

But did they know that?

Evidence of 2002 Taliban Offer Damages Myth of al-Qaeda Ties (http://original.antiwar.com/porter/2011/02/07/evidence-of-2002-taliban-offer-damages-myth-of-al-qaeda-ties/)

The central justification of the U.S.-NATO war against the Afghan Taliban – that the Taliban would allow al-Qaeda to return to Afghanistan – has been challenged by new historical evidence of offers by the Taliban leadership to reconcile with the Hamid Karzai government after the fall of the Taliban government in late 2001.

The evidence of the Taliban peace initiatives comes from a new paper drawn from the first book-length study of Taliban-al-Qaeda relations thus far, as well as an account in another recent study on the Taliban in Kandahar province by journalist Anand Gopal.

In a paper published Monday by the Center on International Cooperation at New York University, Alex Strick van Linschoten and Felix Kuehn recount the decision by the Taliban leadership in 2002 to offer political reconciliation with the U.S.-backed Afghan administration.

Citing an unidentified former Taliban official who participated in the decision, they report that the entire senior Taliban political leadership met in Pakistan in November 2002 to consider an offer of reconciliation with the new Afghan government in which they would “join the political process” in Afghanistan.

More in link...including that Bush wasn't interested.

Next: The source will be discredited of course.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 08:44 AM

Link?

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 08:45 AM
See above for one, although not the original report I saw years ago.

mlyonsd
05-02-2011, 08:47 AM
This should not be a partisan issue.

A bad man who did bad things is now dead. Bravo once again to our men and women in uniform. They truely are our best and brightest.

Tell that to dirk. He seems hell bent on trying to make the point this was all Obama's doing.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 08:48 AM
I only googled this: http://www.twf.org/News/Y2006/0608-BinLaden.html
But it traces back to a Guardian news report which is linked:

"On September 20, 2001," according to the Guardian, "the Taliban offered to hand Osama bin Laden to a neutral Islamic country for trial if the US presented them with evidence that he was responsible for the attacks on New York and Washington. The US rejected the offer."

Lzen
05-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Democrats are politicizing it. Only natural for Republicans to respond in turn.

I don't know about Rush, but I think a lot of the big name conservatives will give Obama his due for this.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Tell that to dirk. He seems hell bent on trying to make the point this was all Obama's doing.

You can't deny Obama zero credit though. He approved the mission. He also did not want bombs or a drone used as it would destroy all the evidence immediately.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 08:52 AM
A former Colonel just said on Fox that Bush had actionable intel in 2005 that Bin Laden was in Pakistan but didn't act because of that.

He also kept the west side into Pakistan open for him to leave too.
He's too close to the binLaden family.

See this post ForeverChiefs58? I wish I could find that YouTube video that's been gone from the internet with that general speaking, ( I don't remember his name either.) saying Bush did not think getting PBL was "important."

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 08:55 AM

Clinton had a chance also and decided to pass.

Obama decided to act and told Pakistan to screw themselves just like he said he would when he was roundly mocked by Hillary and the Repubs in 2008

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 08:56 AM
there were plenty of al qaeda training camps in afghan that we got rid of after 9-11. The taliban IS our enemy. Does this sound like someone who is NOT an enemy to you?Someone you could try to reason with? I really have no idea what it is you are drinking.

Taliban use child bomber at start of offensive

KABUL, Afghanistan – On the first day of its promised spring offensive, the Taliban used a 12-year-old boy as a suicide bomber in an attack Sunday that killed four civilians, President Hamid Karzai said, calling the child's recruitment inhumane and un-Islamic.

It was one of several attacks across the country that killed seven people, government officials said.

The insurgent movement announced in a statement Saturday that it would step up operations against military bases, convoys and Afghan officials, including members of the peace council working to reconcile with top insurgent leaders. The offensive begins each year after a winter lull in fighting.

"The use of children and youths who don't know the difference between right and wrong in terrorist attacks is inhumane and against all Islamic principles," the president said.

The suicide bomber detonated a vest packed with explosives inside a bazaar in the Barmal district of Paktika province, 160 miles (260 kilometers) southeast of Kabul, on the border with Pakistan. The blast killed four civilians and wounded 12, said Mokhlis Afghan, a spokesman for the provincial governor's office.

Among the dead — and the likely target of the attack — was Sher Nawaz, head of a new district council in the Shakeen area of Paktika province, Afghan said.

In the Taliban's announcement on its offensive, it suggested it would try to limit civilian casualties in its operations.

"Strict attention must be paid to the protection and safety of civilians during spring operations by working out a meticulous military plan," it said.

A United Nations report released earlier this year presented evidence that the Taliban was responsible for the majority of civilian deaths in Afghanistan in 2010, and Afghan and NATO officials have repeatedly accused the Taliban of breaking its own rules of engagement.

According to documents from the Joint Intelligence Group at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, the Taliban systematically recruits and trains juveniles to be suicide bombers.

The documents, recently released under a Freedom of Information Act request, include statements from detainees and suggest that child recruitment is organized and extensive among Islamic militant groups.

U.S. military intelligence officers said juveniles are often recruited at mosques and Islamic schools and that they are in turn encouraged to recruit their friends. Some are lured by extremist literature or videos. The documents suggest that extremists find youths easier to recruit than adults and that they become more pliant disciples of militant Islam.

"Taliban used hard-line interpretation of the Quran as a recruitment tool," according to the confidential documents.

The reports say that juveniles are used to perform a variety of tasks including delivering messages, conducting surveillance and fighting on the battlefield.

"Juveniles are more willing to martyr themselves due to their lack of reasoning on taking innocent lives," the documents say.

A March 2010 article in the CTC Sentinel, published by an independent think-tank called the Combating Terrorism Center at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, described how juveniles routinely attended militant training camps in Waziristan, along the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan near the site of Sunday's suicide attack.

"The age of suicide bombers range from seven to 40," according to the article, which drew heavily from Pakistani police interrogations and interviews with suspected militants. "Large suicide training camps operate in two categories: junior and senior camps."

In other violence Sunday, a gunman opened fire on a checkpoint in the southwest province of Ghazni, killing two policemen and wounding a bystander during an hour-long battle, provincial police chief Zerawar Zahid said.

In a separate attack in Ghazni, militants detonated a bicycle rigged with explosives outside the provincial police headquarters complex, wounding 13 civilians, according to provincial officials. The wounded included an 11-year-old girl and two young boys. They had light shrapnel wounds, said Dr. Mohammad Ismail Ibrahimzai, head of the Ghazni Provincial Hospital.

In the country's south, a suspected militant shot and killed an Afghan soldier at a checkpoint in Kandahar city, said deputy police chief Shershah Yousafzai.

In other violence in Kandahar, policemen receiving NATO-donated supplies including caps and protective eyewear drew guns and fought over the items, leaving one policeman dead and four wounded, said Arghandab district governor Shah Mohammad.

BucEyedPea

Obama decided to act and told Pakistan to screw themselves just like he said he would when he was roundly mocked by Hillary and the Repubs in 2008

According to the abc news site, this was done in conjunction with the CIA and the Pakistani govt.
Where'd you get this information?

abc
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/osama-bin-laden-killed-navy-seals-firefight/story?id=13505792

Extra Point
Musharraf was in power, bobbleheading anything Condaleeza Rice was putting in front of him. All the while, his administration was overlooking OBL's presence; he was taking money from both the US and Al Queda.

Karzai was cut from the same cloth. A muslim brother won't turn on his brother, unless massive funds are involved; funds that allow him to finance his brother's eventual escape.

The interesting aspect of all this, is that the US shared no intel regarding this operation. Our true allies will only have to say "Thanks" for this action.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 08:59 AM
I only googled this: http://www.twf.org/News/Y2006/0608-BinLaden.html
But it traces back to a Guardian news report which is linked:

You said the taliban offered OBL to Bush. That is what you said. :spock:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea
Nope. OBL sponsored the Taliban. I haven't heard anything about the Taliban knowing OBL's plan so do 9/11 either. The Taliban offered to give him up to Bush, if he proved OBL was behind 9/11. This was easy for Bush to do. The Taliban is not our real enemy. They're an excuse for us to stay in Afghanistan while we protect that natural gas pipeline ( owned by a much of financial, mercantilists interests. Kool Aid makes one thirsty for more.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 08:59 AM
FC58, you're just hell bent on killing any muslim not matter their guilt and conquering a nation that is no threat to us while expending the lives of American soldiers. It's obvious you haven't one iota of objectivity but are completely blinded by partisanship. You say you have family in the military over there but how does this show you care about their lives for no real security goal but rather hate and hate alone? It doesn't.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 09:00 AM
You said the taliban offered OBL to Bush. That is what you said. :spock:

Yup and I gave you a link on it too.

I agree about the AQ camps which we disrupted. Then we should have got the hell out, with a warning should there be another attack we'd be back—save for special forces to get BL and his right-hand man, who was the real mastermind behind 9/11, since BL is more of a figurehead.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 09:04 AM
FC58, you're just hell bent on killing any muslim not matter their guilt and conquering a nation that is no threat to us while expending the lives of American soldiers. It's obvious you haven't one iota of objectivity but are completely blinded by partisanship.

Not true. I for one am very happy Obama approved the mission and OBL was killed. I have zero, zip, NO interest in killing all muslims everywhere. I would hope these terrorists are not accepted by the muslim world as they kill innocents and murder muslims everywhere. I am for killing ALL terrorists and ALL those who support them.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Not true. I for one am very happy Obama approved the mission and OBL was killed. I have zero, zip, NO interest in killing all muslims everywhere. I would hope these terrorists are not accepted by the muslim world as they kill innocents and murder muslims everywhere. I am for killing ALL terrorists and ALL those who support them.

That's an impossible goal that might well kill more American soldiers instead that will not result in more security. But this is really for another thread. So I will end it here.

Oh and I edited my earlier post.

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 09:07 AM
According to the abc news site, this was done in conjunction with the CIA and the Pakistani govt.
Where'd you get this information?

abc
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/osama-bin-laden-killed-navy-seals-firefight/story?id=13505792

There is a lot of conflicting information on whether Pakistan was involved.

But I am pretty sure they weren't

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/article1985319.ece

Pakistan broke its silence over the death of Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden about four hours after it was announced to the world by U. S. President Barack Obama and categorically stated that this was a U.S. operation.

In the first official confirmation from Pakistan on bin Laden’s death, the Foreign Office said: “This operation was conducted by the US forces in accordance with declared US policy that Osama bin Laden will be eliminated in a direct action by the US forces, wherever found in the world.’’

According to the Foreign Office, Mr. Obama telephoned President Asif Ali Zardari earlier in the day on the successful U. S. operation which resulted in bin Laden’s killing. Stating that bin Laden’s death illustrates the resolve of the international community including Pakistan to fight and eliminate terrorism, the Foreign Office added that it constitutes a major setback to terrorist organisations around the world.

Referring to Pakistan’s stated policy that it would not allow the country’s soil to be used for terrorist attacks against any country, the Foreign Office said the political leadership, Parliament, state institutions and the whole nation are fully united in their resolve to eliminate terrorism.

The statement was issued soon after details of the operation began coming from Washington, including the fact that the U.S. had kept the exercise a closely guarded secret and had not shared details with any country including Pakistan. What remains unclear in these circumstances is how U.S. helicopters went unnoticed in Pakistani airspace, that too in a cantonment area close to the federal capital and halfway between the Durand Line and the Line of Control.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Yup and I gave you a link on it too.

I agree about the AQ camps which we disrupted. Then we should have got the hell out, with a warning should there be another attack we'd be back—save for special forces to get BL and his right-hand man, who was the real mastermind behind 9/11, since BL is more of a figurehead.

I am kinda actually agreeing with this BEP. :thumb:

And if we do have to go back, I think it should be air force fly over bombing them back to stone age. No more 100,000 ground troops.

Chief Henry
05-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Not gonna take anything away. Great job by President Obama. Far and away his finest moment. He made the call, and it resulted in one of the most fantastically successful operations ever. Great day!

It sure was. Obama didn't vote present this time...:thumb:

Chief Henry
05-02-2011, 09:21 AM
ya, it's interesting, because back in the day, Dems always claimed that if we killed him, he 'd just be replaced and all we were doing was inviting and recruiting more terrorism.... and how it wasn't worth American lives but now it's used as some sort of rah rah my dad can beat up your dad in a political context?....reeks of desperation and hypocrisy...his death avenges those who were slain and their families on 9/11..and that, IMO is where the focus should lie...

Your memory is very accurate weedhopper. It feels good to be an American today. What a great feel good story for our country. We desperately needed a feel good story IMO.

patteeu
05-02-2011, 09:25 AM

It's not that important. It's a good thing, but it's not going to put an end to the al Qaeda threat, much less the broader radical islam threat.

Bush didn't "let" bin Laden escape at Tora Bora, bin Laden just escaped despite the efforts to catch/kill him. Just like he's escaped detection and all other efforts to find/kill him for the past decade.

Bush was constrained to some degree by the US effort to bring the Pakistanis to our side of the conflict. Since Obama has allowed the Pakistanis to revert to nativism, getting bin Laden while he's on Pakistani soil has become less of a sensitive issue. That's just a fact. Kudos to Obama for continuing the policy arc that led to last night's raid and kudos to the intel/special ops people who made it happen.

Frankie
05-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Monday I predict Fox News will focus more on the glory of the event and mention Obama as little as possible. Then the rest of the week provide endless criticism of how he handled the aftermath. One good possible topic I'm sure they're already strategizing on - handling the body in accordance with Muslim customs.

They'll also say that Obama should have captured him alive for some reason or another.

Chiefshrink
05-02-2011, 09:35 AM

:clap::clap::clap:

Couldn't come at a more perfect time politically for "O" considering the very low poll numbers, all the doubt,fraud and economic incompetence this guy has exhibited these past 2 yrs.

But he still continues to pander to Islam by honoring Sharia/Muslim law in reference to burial law. This guy is a war criminal!!! We should have his body here in America with solidified confirmed pictures, PERIOD!!! But no we don't want to piss off the Muslim world???????

America to Obama! America to Obama! Islam has been pissed for decades and "We are 'The Great Satan' to them and we didn't start this fight, they did because we are "INFIDELS TO THEM PERIOD"! But no the Lefty Marxists say it's our fault for WTC I & II, The Cole, soldier baracks, etc.....???? Realy???

Bottom line: Obama and our govt still "walk on eggshells" in reference to Islam and looks weak again to the Muslim world by observing their burial law:shake:

America to Obama! America to Obama! The only thing the Muslim world will respect is brutally getting their ass kicked physically!!:thumb:

KILLER_CLOWN
05-02-2011, 09:36 AM

Couldn't come at a more perfect time politically for "O" considering the very low poll numbers, all the doubt,fraud and economic incompetence this guy has exhibited these past 2 yrs.

But he still continues to pander to Islam by honoring Sharia/Muslim law in reference to burial law. This guy is a war criminal!!! We should have his body here in America with solidified confirmed pictures, PERIOD!!! But no we don't want to piss off the Muslim world???????

America to Obama! America to Obama! Islam has been pissed for decades and "We are 'The Great Satan' to them and we didn't start this fight, they did because we are "INFIDELS TO THEM PERIOD"! But no the Lefty Marxists say it's our fault for WTC I & II, The Cole, soldier baracks, etc.....???? Realy???

Bottom line: Obama and our govt still "walk on eggshells" in reference to Islam and looks weak again to the Muslim world by observing their burial law:shake:

America to Obama! America to Obama! The only thing the Muslim world will respect is brutally getting their ass kicked physically!!:thumb:

I'm fairly certain even the Muslim world would like to see his body, but no this is just a dog and pony show.

Frankie
05-02-2011, 09:37 AM
I am glad Osama got his due by the hands of our military and not from natural causes or from whatever disease he fights.

I almost totally believe that he DID NOT have a kidney disease. I've even heard that he at some point had 'kidney stones' which I believe they leaked as kidney disease. A 6'-4" Arab dude with a kidney dialysis machine following him wherever he goes would have been much easier to find. But this kind of misinformation would through western intelligence off scent.

Frankie
05-02-2011, 09:40 AM
ya, it's interesting, because back in the day, Dems always claimed that if we killed him, he 'd just be replaced and all we were doing was inviting and recruiting more terrorism.

It was not the 'Dems' who claimed this. It was mentioned here and there on TV discussions. But feel free to revise history all you want. This is a glorious day and everyone is entitled to make silly statements.

Frankie
05-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Talk about sudden death...

It was indeed sudden death overtime. ;)

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 09:41 AM

They have pictures you idiot they just haven't been released yet.

Heck they have video of the operation because Special Forces record all their ops.

Frankie
05-02-2011, 09:44 AM

Indeed. Posters are already commenting on Sarah Palin's facebook thanking "President Bush."

RaiderH8r
05-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Indeed. Posters are already commenting on Sarah Palin's facebook thanking "President Bush."

O has done a good job of carrying out the Bush doctrine in executing the WOT. O saw the error of closing Gitmo, walking back the idea of trying terrorists in NYC, committing more troops to ME, things of that nature. It was a solid move and good on O for keeping the faith and reaping the rewards for his commitment to some solid policies.

Chiefshrink
05-02-2011, 09:57 AM
They have pictures you idiot they just haven't been released yet.

Heck they have video of the operation because Special Forces record all their ops.

Can't wait to see them:thumb:

You are so ignorant and naive:rolleyes:

Chiefshrink
05-02-2011, 09:59 AM
O has done a good job of carrying out the Bush doctrine in executing the WOT. O saw the error of closing Gitmo, walking back the idea of trying terrorists in NYC, committing more troops to ME, things of that nature. It was a solid move and good on O for keeping the faith and reaping the rewards for his commitment to some solid policies.

No "O" saw his low poll numbers and all the "independents" he lost so he had to continue the Bush doctrine:thumb:

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Can't wait to see them:thumb:

You are so ignorant and naive:rolleyes:

You will probably see them soon enough much like they did with Saddam's sons.

This operation was carried out exactly for that reason so we would have proof of death instead of bombing him into bits

Frankie
05-02-2011, 10:11 AM

As long as Pakistan is unstable and has the bomb, unfortunately we may stay in nearby Afghanistan.

mikey23545
05-02-2011, 10:13 AM
No "O" saw his low poll numbers and all the "independents" he lost so he had to continue the Bush doctrine:thumb:

Yeah, it's funny how the economy which Obama drove into the ground, and the budget deficit which he led to unbelievable new records are the responsibility of a man who was president 3 years ago, but <i>this</i>...

Frankie
05-02-2011, 10:16 AM
No Frankie, you are wrong. This is a win for those that lost friends and family at the WTC, at the Pentagon and in PA.

BTW, it wasn't Obama - it was the U.S. Navy Seals that got OBL and regardless of the propaganda splattered about here and last night, this has been an ongoing effort since 9/11.

Funny. Obama signs off on any domestic or foreign policy that does not favor big corporations and "he is held responsible" by you and your ilk. Then he signs off on something dramatically successful and the credit goes somewhere else. I swear some Righties are the most bipolar folk I've seen.

Frankie
05-02-2011, 10:16 AM

Yep.

mlyonsd
05-02-2011, 10:17 AM
This operation was carried out exactly for that reason so we would have proof of death instead of bombing him into bitsExactly. Give Obama credit for just not obliterating the place with missiles.

Frankie
05-02-2011, 10:18 AM
http://i.imgur.com/pRPrT.jpg

:LOL:

Cave Johnson
05-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah, it's funny how the economy which Obama drove into the ground, and the budget deficit which he led to unbelievable new records are the responsibility of a man who was president 3 years ago, but <i>this</i>...

Yeah! The collapse of the housing market and the financial system (Bear, Lehman, AIG, etc.), the start of the recession, and the resulting spike in unemployment all happened under Obama. F that guy. ;)

Cave Johnson
05-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Yep.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4PGmnz5Ow-o?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4PGmnz5Ow-o?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

WV
05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
He will get the credit, but Obama deserves no more credit for his handling of this than Bush did for his handling of post 9/11. Sitting presidents get the credit that is understood, it's just stupid that this will be part of his legacy. This along with the efforts after 9/11 were American efforts, politics should be secondary and the Presidents should recognize that.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Osama's hideout getting funny reviews on google maps:

Some choicer reviews include:

“Great hideout would use again.”
“Heat sources are undeniable. This place is blazing! ”
“Cold and drafty at night, walls full of holes. ”
” on the menu was goat flesh, and the place reeked of burning garbage. ”
“Located in cozy, quiet neighborhood. Interrupted only occasionally by machine gun fire.”

Perhaps the best so far:

“Aside from the complimentary dialysis machine use, easy underground access to Pakistan’s beautiful vast cave system, and free toaster waffles, it’s a pretty big dump. The food wasn’t organic, the wifi was spotty at best, absolutely no cell coverage, (yelp reviews were so wrong on that one) and no one spoke English. To make it worse, the country’s best basketball player, some 6’7″ dude with a turban, gets shot our first night there. And the coffee was cold. We’re so not coming back.”

ROFLROFL

FishingRod
05-02-2011, 10:58 AM
This has been a long going effort with the last 3 presidents on board. I tip my hat to the intelligence community, our armed forces and yes to the Commander in Chief. I believe that just like the many things he get the blame for because he is the President, credit is due. This is not a Democrat or Republican victory, it is something that goes beyond petty politics. I initially wasn’t all that excited because we simply put down a mad dog and saw it as just something that needed to be done But I am starting to feel some satisfaction in vengeance. When the 9-11 attacks happened I didn’t care how long it took or what it cost but I wanted those responsible dealt with. I still feel the same way and am glad to scratch one more of these murderers off the lost. Good Job everyone! And Good Riddance

Cave Johnson
05-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Osama's hideout getting funny reviews on google maps:

Some choicer reviews include:

“Great hideout would use again.”
“Heat sources are undeniable. This place is blazing! ”
“Cold and drafty at night, walls full of holes. ”
” on the menu was goat flesh, and the place reeked of burning garbage. ”
“Located in cozy, quiet neighborhood. Interrupted only occasionally by machine gun fire.”

Perhaps the best so far:

“Aside from the complimentary dialysis machine use, easy underground access to Pakistan’s beautiful vast cave system, and free toaster waffles, it’s a pretty big dump. The food wasn’t organic, the wifi was spotty at best, absolutely no cell coverage, (yelp reviews were so wrong on that one) and no one spoke English. To make it worse, the country’s best basketball player, some 6’7″ dude with a turban, gets shot our first night there. And the coffee was cold. We’re so not coming back.”

ROFLROFL

Those comments are priceless.

Btw, while it's hard to predict 18 months in the future, barring a double dip recession, I'm going on record that Obama will be a 2-termer. Y'all righty partisans will get Bush most of the credit, but not independents.

oldandslow
05-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Btw, while it's hard to predict 18 months in the future, barring a double dip recession, I'm going on record that Obama will be a 2-termer. Y'all righty partisans will get Bush most of the credit, but not independents.

I thought he would win anyway, but this helps him, no doubt. Carter got the Iranian rescue mission hung around his neck and it helped to cost him an election. Obama took the risk knowing it could make him a one termer if it backfired.

He did it anyway. That took leadership. And to be blunt, it is causing me to rethink how I view him.

BigChiefFan
05-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Exactly. Give Obama credit for just not obliterating the place with missiles.
Maybe not on this particular mission, but let's not pretend we haven't bombed the shit out of the place...

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/04/ap-us-missiles-kill-25-in-pakistan-042211/

U.S. missile strike kills 25 in Pakistan

Politician vows blockade of NATO supplies
By Chris Brummitt - The Associated Press
Posted : Friday Apr 22, 2011 16:07:24 EDT

ISLAMABAD — U.S. missiles killed 25 people in an al-Qaida and Taliban sanctuary close to the Afghan border on Friday, Pakistani officials said, signaling American intent to press ahead with such attacks despite renewed protests by Islamabad.

In another reminder of the difficulties facing Washington, a well-known politician said he and his followers would try to “blockade” NATO supplies that pass through Pakistan en route to Afghanistan over the weekend to protest the strikes.

Some of the missile victims were militants loyal to Hafiz Gul Bahadar, a commander known to stage attacks against foreign troops in Afghanistan, but two women and five children were also killed, the officials said. There was no immediate way to verify that information independently because access to the border area is forbidden.

The U.S. has been regularly firing missiles into the border region for 2½ years now, but does not formally acknowledge the CIA-run program. U.S. officials rarely comment on specific strikes, but have said in general terms that they accurately hit militants.

American silence means the usual sources of information about the strikes are Pakistani intelligence officials, who are forbidden to give their names to the media.

The officials said up to 10 missiles destroyed a compound in Spinwam village in North Waziristan, home to militants targeting American and NATO troops just across the border in Afghanistan, as well as to al-Qaida terrorists.

The United States is seeking Pakistan’s cooperation in helping stabilize Afghanistan, but tensions between the two nations rose sharply this year after an American CIA contractor shot and killed two Pakistanis he said were trying to rob him.

A day after the contractor’s release from prison in March, a missile strike that allegedly killed dozens of innocent tribesmen prompted a rare and strong protest by Pakistan army chief Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.

On Thursday, Kayani said the “drone strikes undermine our national effort against terrorism and turn public support against our efforts, which remains the key to success.”

Pakistan’s army and political leadership have always publicly condemned the missile attacks but are believed to have sanctioned them privately. That policy allows them to be insulated from some of the anti-American sentiment that runs strong in the country.

Pakistani officials say they now want America to limit the use of the strikes and give them more information about them. But several U.S. officials in Islamabad and Washington have said they will continue regardless of Pakistani objections, which some analysts have suggested were aimed at domestic political consumption or extracting more concessions from Washington in other areas of their relationship.

Many Pakistanis view the Afghan Taliban as a legitimate resistance force, analogous to the force that fought Soviet occupation in the 1980s, so do not agree that their government should be allowing America to attack them on their soil.

The blockade of the main northwestern highway into Afghanistan was to be carried out by a small political party headed by Imran Khan, a former captain of Pakistan’s cricket team. It remains to be seen how many people turn out for the protest and how committed they are.

Khan said America would stop drone attacks only if the people of Pakistan staged large protests.

“This is how we can influence the American policy makers to change their strategy,” he said.

Associated Press reporters Anwarullah Khan in Khar, Munir Ahmed in Islamabad, Kimberly Dozier in Washington and Rasool Dawar and Riaz Khan in Peshawar contributed to this report.

vailpass
05-02-2011, 11:16 AM
This may be the dumbest thread title ever.

|Zach|
05-02-2011, 11:20 AM

lol

Amnorix
05-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Yeah, it's funny how the economy which Obama drove into the ground, and the budget deficit which he led to unbelievable new records are the responsibility of a man who was president 3 years ago, but this...

Presumably you noticed that the economy was tailspinning back in 2008, right? Or did you somehow manage to miss that.

Of course, it's alot harder to find a guy hiding in Pakistan when MOST of your attention is being spent on Iraq. But that's irrelevant to BushFans.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 11:26 AM
According to the abc news site, this was done in conjunction with the CIA and the Pakistani govt. Where'd you get this information?

abc

"Many of his neighbors were actually ISI pakistani army personnel and the house was roughly eight times larger than the other homes in the area with outer walls up to 18 feet tall topped with barbed wire."

Another senior administration official told reporters that Obama's administration did not share intelligence gathered beforehand with any other country -- including Pakistan -- for security reasons. The official said that only a small group of people inside the U.S government knew about this operation in advance.Read more: http://www.wesh.com/news/27739945/detail.html#ixzz1LDEjLIHz

patteeu
05-02-2011, 11:26 AM

He was rightly criticized for saying those things. Not for the policy concept, which is a no brainer, but for publicly announcing it, which was diplomatically unhelpful.

I applaud Obama's role in this big kill. It appears that every failed presidency is capable of the occasional Camp David Accord. Good for him.

ClevelandBronco
05-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Has anyone checked on Hillary lately?

Chief Henry
05-02-2011, 11:33 AM
This may be the dumbest thread title ever.

You forgot who posted it...it makes perfect sense.

vailpass
05-02-2011, 11:33 AM
This is great news. Now back to the economy please.

patteeu
05-02-2011, 11:35 AM

Wishful thinking.

Amnorix
05-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Pakistan knew this was going to happen. They gave us the lead last summer. They didn't know the specifics of this operation and probably best for them they didn't. But you don't tell us where he is hiding and then expect us not to do anything about it.

You're off on your facts...again.

All reports are indicating that Pakistan did NOT know where he was.

If they had said "he is there" it would not have taken six or nine months to perform the operation.

oldandslow
05-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Wishful thinking.

Wanna bet????

patteeu
05-02-2011, 11:37 AM
I thought he would win anyway, but this helps him, no doubt. Carter got the Iranian rescue mission hung around his neck and it helped to cost him an election. Obama took the risk knowing it could make him a one termer if it backfired.

He did it anyway. That took leadership. And to be blunt, it is causing me to rethink how I view him.

Wow.

vailpass
05-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Wow.

Sometimes I am scared for this country.

Amnorix
Wow.

it must be killing you that this coup is too remote from the Bush Administration for you to give credit to Bush/Cheney for it.

:p

oldandslow
Wow.

Why? This singular act is one that should cause a person to reflect. I didn't think the Obama administration had enough org or competence to pull something like this off. I was wrong. I was going to vote for any moderate repub (see Romney) that the GOP nominated. Based on the competence of the Pres.

I no longer feel that way. This is a game changer.

patteeu
05-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Wanna bet????

I think it's amazing that this event affects you the way you say it does given your past criticisms of the guy that have nothing to do with his lack of aggressiveness in the GWoT.

I think it's highly doubtful that two years down the road this event will be a game changer. That's what I think is wishful thinking. I'd bet on it, but I don't know how we'd evaluate the results.

vailpass
05-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Why? This singular act is one that should cause a person to reflect. I didn't think the Obama administration had enough org or competence to pull something like this off. I was wrong. I was going to vote for any moderate repub (see Romney) that the GOP nominated. Based on the competence of the Pres.

This action took place due to our extremely competent military and intel structure. If anything this should cause you to support maintaining or increasing current levels of defense spending. This action would have been a success whether it was ordered by the empty suit in the White House, the Sec. of Defense, or any other politician.

patteeu
05-02-2011, 11:48 AM

LOL

You must have had an even lower opinion of this administration than I do, I guess.

patteeu
05-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Presumably you noticed that the economy was tailspinning back in 2008, right? Or did you somehow manage to miss that.

Of course, it's alot harder to find a guy hiding in Pakistan when MOST of your attention is being spent on Iraq. But that's irrelevant to BushFans.

By contrast, if BushCritics had had their way, Osama would have been killed long ago by a focused GWBush and Saddam would still be alive.

Cave Johnson
05-02-2011, 11:54 AM
This action took place due to our extremely competent military and intel structure. If anything this should cause you to support maintaining or increasing current levels of defense spending. This action would have been a success whether it was ordered by the empty suit in the White House, the Sec. of Defense, or any other politician.

Yeah, any empty suit. Just like the last two guys or McCain, right?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PLaWNqw0BlQ?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PLaWNqw0BlQ?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Cave Johnson
05-02-2011, 11:57 AM
By contrast, if BushCritics had had their way, Osama would have been killed long ago by a focused GWBush and Saddam would still be alive.

You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

Amnorix
05-02-2011, 11:58 AM

umm...yeah, that's about right. The issue with Iraq is that there never was any immediate urgency to going in there when we did. We can debate all day about what we think about their NBC stockpiles, etc., but fundamentally Iraq isn't/wasn't much more fo a threat to us than North Korea or Iran, but we didn't invade those either, did we?

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 11:58 AM

I think it means we can start to cut and get out of Afghanistan with the exception that we keep intel and special forces funded. I'm sick of endless war.

patteeu
05-02-2011, 12:03 PM
umm...yeah, that's about right. The issue with Iraq is that there never was any immediate urgency to going in there when we did. We can debate all day about what we think about their NBC stockpiles, etc., but fundamentally Iraq isn't/wasn't much more fo a threat to us than North Korea or Iran, but we didn't invade those either, did we?

We can all guess at what the world would be like if some significant event had gone another way, but my reading of the situation says that if we hadn't gone to Iraq, sanctions would have crumbled by now, Saddam would be back in the WMD game, and the Arab groundhog would have seen a long shadow pushing the so-called "Arab spring" into the distant future (or replacing it with region-wide Islamist unrest).

oldandslow
05-02-2011, 12:04 PM
I have long simply questioned Obama's competence and leadership capability. If you don't think that some of those questions were answered positively, there is nothing I can say...

This action took guts on his part. I still think Obamacare was wrong. As I do the continuation of the Bush tax cuts. However, his leadership ability rose mightely in my mind with this action.

ChiefsCountry
05-02-2011, 12:08 PM
It was the first time Obama actually acted like a president. I applaud him for that. Still not going to vote for him and hope to hell he doesn't get a second term.

Amnorix
05-02-2011, 12:09 PM
We can all guess at what the world would be like if some significant event had gone another way, but my reading of the situation says that if we hadn't gone to Iraq, sanctions would have crumbled by now, Saddam would be back in the WMD game, and the Arab groundhog would have seen a long shadow pushing the so-called "Arab spring" into the distant future (or replacing it with region-wide Islamist unrest).

Saddam may well be back in the WMD game by now, but I'm not sold on invading any country in the world that has it in mind to develop WMD. If that's your rationale, why havent' we already taken out Iran? NK you can write off as having China to back them up, but Iran? They're reasonably isolated. Why not take them out too?

The causes of Arab spring are many. Certainly Bush hoped to unleash such "democraticizing" forces long ago, but it didn't quite work out that way then. Can't see giving full credit to our toppling Saddam, but even still, the benefits of Arab Spring are (1) not yet defined, and (2) may not be to America's benefit anyway. You can't go to war in the hopes of tripping a region-wide revolution that may or may not actually be to our benefit, can you?

Yeah, no, you can't.

Mr. Kotter
05-02-2011, 12:10 PM
it must be killing you that this coup is too remote from the Bush Administration for you to give credit to Bush/Cheney for it.

:p

LMAO

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I wonder if direcshun, frankie and others would be able to actually condemn hamas as a terrorist organization now instead of just excusing their behavior when it is against jews?

Hamas leader condemns US killing of bin Laden

GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip – The leader of the Palestinian militant Hamas government in Gaza has condemned the United States for killing al-Qaida chief Osama bin Laden.

Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh says the operation is "the continuation of the American oppression and shedding of blood of Muslims and Arabs."

Haniyeh told reporters in Gaza on Monday that although Hamas had its differences with al-Qaida, his group condemns the assassination of "a Muslim and Arabic warrior" and prays that bin Laden's "soul rests in peace."

Hamas has repeatedly said it has no ties to al-Qaida and that its violent struggle is directed solely against Israel, and not the West at large.

Okie_Apparition
05-02-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't care for conspiracy BS. But the releasing of the long form birth certificate, proving beyond on a shadow of a doubt Obama is American. Then the next day or so bringing down OBL, is quite the happy coincidence.

Otter
05-02-2011, 12:18 PM
:LOL:

Yep, Bum **** Barry HALOed in and took out Osama. Pretty sure he read about it only slightly sooner than we did.

Amnorix
05-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I think it means we can start to cut and get out of Afghanistan with the exceptiong that we keep intel and special forces funded. I'm sick of endless war.

I'm sick of endless war too, but the Osama was the figurehead and spiritual leader of Al Queda, not the operational leader and not some kind of irreplacable lunatic who was just slavishly followed by a bunch of deluded followers, a la Hitler and the Nazis.

The war against terror must continue until people are no longer interested in bringing terror to our shores. That doesn't mean an active, hot war at all times, but it certainly means at least constant vigilance, and a strong and firm desire to keep the seeds of terror from finding fertile ground in places such as Afghanistan and Iraq, if possible.

ChiTown
05-02-2011, 12:21 PM
The war against terror must continue until people are no longer interested in bringing terror to our shores. That doesn't mean an active, hot war at all times, but it certainly means at least constant vigilance, and a strong and firm desire to keep the seeds of terror from finding fertile ground in places such as Afghanistan and Iraq, if possible.

Completely agree.

ROYC75
05-02-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm sick of endless war too, but the Osama was the figurehead and spiritual leader of Al Queda, not the operational leader and not some kind of irreplacable lunatic who was just slavishly followed by a bunch of deluded followers, a la Hitler and the Nazis.

This.

There will always be wackos in the world.

Norman Einstein
05-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Funny. Obama signs off on any domestic or foreign policy that does not favor big corporations and "he is held responsible" by you and your ilk. Then he signs off on something dramatically successful and the credit goes somewhere else. I swear some Righties are the most bipolar folk I've seen.

You aren't bipolar, you are just stupid! Obama gets credit just because he is in office. The U.S., et al, has been trying to get OBL for 10 years.

And for the record Obama did not get OBL, The US Navy Seals took him down and not on orders from Obama, but with his approval.

I listened to him speak and it was nothing more than I, me and God Bless America. Obama was on the campaign trail more than he was reporting about OBL. It was truly sickening.

orange
05-02-2011, 12:28 PM
And for the record Obama did not get OBL, The US Navy Seals took him down and not on orders from Obama, but with his approval.

You truly are an idiot. There's absolutely no way they do this mission without direct orders from the President. NO WAY.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Well said. :clap::clap:

Fish
05-02-2011, 12:35 PM
You aren't bipolar, you are just stupid! Obama gets credit just because he is in office. The U.S., et al, has been trying to get OBL for 10 years.

I listened to him speak and it was nothing more than I, me and God Bless America. Obama was on the campaign trail more than he was reporting about OBL. It was truly sickening.

ROFL

You sir, are hilarious....

ChiefaRoo
05-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Dumb thread title

orange
05-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Obama rejected original plan for bombing; wanted proof – Navy SEALS held two rehearsals last month, with war cabinet monitoring from White House – Raid planned for Saturday but pushed off a day because of weather – Chopper stalled as it hovered over the compound – Forces blew it up and left in a reinforcement craft -- How the fiery raid went down, as told to Playbook by senior administration officials: The compound -- about an acre, with a three-story house – is in Abbottabad, a suburb of the Pakistani capital, Islamabad. Officials were very suspicious of the 12- to 18-foot-high walls, and seven-foot wall on the upper balcony. Residents burned their trash, and there was no telephone or Internet connection to the compound, valued at $1 million. But officials never had anything directly proving that Osama bin Laden was living there. The U.S. had discovered the compound by following a personal courier for bin Laden. Officials didn’t learn his name until 2007, then it took two years to find him and track him back to this compound, which was discovered in August 2010. “It was a “Holy cow!” moment,” an official said.

The original plan for the raid was to bomb the house, but President Obama ultimately decided against that. “The helicopter raid was riskier. It was more daring,” an official said. “But he wanted proof. He didn’t want to just leave a pile of rubble.” Officials also knew there were 22 people living there, and Obama wanted to be sure not to kill all the civilians. So he ordered officials to come up with an air-assault plan. The forces held rehearsals of the raid on April 7 and April 13, with officials monitoring the action from Washington.

As the actual raid approached, daily meetings were held of the national security principals, chaired by National Security Adviser Tom Donilon, and their deputies, chaired by John Brennan, the president’s counterterrorism adviser. At an April 19 meeting in the Situation Room, the president approved the assault, in principle, as the course of action. He ordered the force to fly to the region to conduct it. On April 28, just after his East Room announcement that CIA Director Leon Panetta would be succeeding Robert Gates as Defense Secretary, the president held another meeting in the Situation Room, and went through everyone’s final recommendations. He didn’t announce his decision at that time, but kept his counsel overnight.

At 8:20 a.m. Friday, the president informed National Security Adviser Tom Donilon that he was authorizing the operation. Donilon signed a written authorization to CIA Director Leon Panetta, who commanded the strike team. The raid was scheduled for Saturday, but weather pushed it to yesterday. The Navy SEALs arrived at the compound at 3:30 p.m. ET yesterday and were gone by 4:15 p.m. Obama monitored the operation all day from the Situation Room, surrounded by Donilon, White House Chief of Staff Bill Daley, Deputy National Security Adviser Denis McDonough, Secretary of State Clinton, Secretary of Defense Gates, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Mike Mullen, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, and others. Panetta was at CIA headquarters, where he had turned his conference room into a command center that gave him constant contact with the tactical leaders of the strike team.

The helicopter carrying the assault force appeared to stall as it hovered over the compound, producing heart-stopping moments for the officials back in Washington. Aides thought fearfully of “Black Hawk Down” and “Desert One,” the failed Iranian hostage rescue mission. The pilot put the bird down gently in the compound, but couldn’t get it going again. The assault force disembarked. “They went ahead and raided the compound, even though they didn’t know if they would have a ride home,” an official said. The special forces put some bombs on the helicopter and blew it up. Bin Laden resisted the assault force, and was shot in the face during a firefight. With the team still in the compound, the commander on the ground told another commander that they had found Osama bin Laden. Applause erupted in Washington. Reinforcements came and picked up the SEALs, who had scavenged every shred and pixel of possible intelligence material from the house. U.S. forces took photographs of the body, and officials used facial-recognition technology to compare them with known pictures of bin Laden. It was him.

http://www.politico.com/playbook/

Amnorix
05-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Sure, if you ignore the fact that Obama made getting Obama the #1 priority of the US intelligence community when he first entered office, and that he personally cleared the mission, which involved high risks and political sensitivities.

Just think of him as a completely uninvolved spectator, like yourself, and you're closer to the truth. Yeah, that's it!

Norman Einstein
05-02-2011, 12:45 PM
You truly are an idiot. There's absolutely no way they do this mission without direct orders from the President. NO WAY.

Sorry there dude, the president only gives final approval for plans submitted by the JCS.

Your self gratifying commentary is first wrong and second shows your lack of knowledge of how the office of president operates. I'm actually amazed at your ineptness in this case.

I may be wrong at times, but this time I am not.

Amnorix
05-02-2011, 12:46 PM
what I found most unbelievable was relying on ONE chopper here. WTF? That risks a repeat of Carter's failed Iranian hostage recovery effort. I dont' understand why you don't send three, to ensure massive redundancy...

patteeu
05-02-2011, 12:48 PM
I have long simply questioned Obama's competence and leadership capability. If you don't think that some of those questions were answered positively, there is nothing I can say...

This action took guts on his part. I still think Obamacare was wrong. As I do the continuation of the Bush tax cuts. However, his leadership ability rose mightely in my mind with this action.

OK, fair enough. I never would have believed that he'd be incapable of authorizing this mission. So the fact that he got the opportunity and took it doesn't impress me that much.

And as far as political risk goes, I don't think a success is as politically valuable to Obama as a failed Operation Eagle Claw was damaging to Carter. If this op had failed, I don't think there was any chance of it being as high profile as Carter's rescue attempt failure turned out to be so I don't see a lot of political downside for signing off on the mission.

Amnorix
05-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Sorry there dude, the president only gives final approval for plans submitted by the JCS.

Your self gratifying commentary is first wrong and second shows your lack of knowledge of how the office of president operates. I'm actually amazed at your ineptness in this case.

What is fucking inept is you not even understanding that this was a CIA mission under Article 50 and not an Article 10 military operation you ignorant moron. CIA OPERATION.

Norman Einstein
05-02-2011, 12:49 PM

ForeverChiefs58
ROFL

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2500/99osama.jpg

orange

You're wrong all the time, and moreso this time.

"The original plan for the raid was to bomb the house, but President Obama ultimately decided against that. “The helicopter raid was riskier. It was more daring,” an official said. “But he wanted proof. He didn’t want to just leave a pile of rubble.” Officials also knew there were 22 people living there, and Obama wanted to be sure not to kill all the civilians. So he ordered officials to come up with an air-assault plan. The forces held rehearsals of the raid on April 7 and April 13, with officials monitoring the action from Washington."

kstater
05-02-2011, 12:51 PM
what I found most unbelievable was relying on ONE chopper here. WTF? That risks a repeat of Carter's failed Iranian hostage recovery effort. I dont' understand why you don't send three, to ensure massive redundancy...

It looks like they sent 3. 2 that carried them in and then the backup that was a ways behind(and likely another back up as well).

Amnorix
05-02-2011, 12:53 PM

Let me help your overwhelmed brain

At 8:20 a.m. Friday, the president informed National Security Adviser Tom Donilon that he was authorizing the operation. Donilon signed a written authorization to CIA Director Leon Panetta, who commanded the strike team.

Amnorix
05-02-2011, 12:54 PM
It looks like they sent 3. 2 that carried them in and then the backup that was a ways behind(and likely another back up as well).

Ah, ok. I missed that part. Much more sensible. A failure here isn't quite the order of magnitude of the Iranian hostage rescue disaster, but still, why risk the mission on one engine...?

patteeu
05-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Saddam may well be back in the WMD game by now, but I'm not sold on invading any country in the world that has it in mind to develop WMD. If that's your rationale, why havent' we already taken out Iran? NK you can write off as having China to back them up, but Iran? They're reasonably isolated. Why not take them out too?

The causes of Arab spring are many. Certainly Bush hoped to unleash such "democraticizing" forces long ago, but it didn't quite work out that way then. Can't see giving full credit to our toppling Saddam, but even still, the benefits of Arab Spring are (1) not yet defined, and (2) may not be to America's benefit anyway. You can't go to war in the hopes of tripping a region-wide revolution that may or may not actually be to our benefit, can you?

Yeah, no, you can't.

Invading Iraq was easier (less costly) than invading Iran would be and that's before the country has grown war weary. Iran was also more likely to experience change from within than Iraq was. Iran is/was certainly another logical target, but it was a tougher nut to crack (and North Korea or Pakistan, having nukes already, even tougher still).

You seem to insist on singular reasons to go to war instead of being open to the big-picture, multi-faceted reasons for choosing Iraq over other alternatives. I suspect that if any long-term good (20 years from now) comes out of our post-9/11 wars, it is more likely to come from the legacy of our efforts in Iraq than from the legacy of our efforts in Afghanistan.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 12:55 PM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YsnRKP56oxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 12:58 PM
AWESOME!
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5qdvM6bgFUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amnorix
05-02-2011, 01:01 PM

Actually, what's really amusing here is that you're fundamentally wrong on two levels. Not just in THIS case, as my prior post explains, but generally.

Answer this ONE simple question -- are the Joint Chiefs of Staff within the standard military chain of command?

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Invading Iraq was easier (less costly) than invading Iran would be and that's before the country has grown war weary. Iran was also more likely to experience change from within than Iraq was. Iran is/was certainly another logical target, but it was a tougher nut to crack (and North Korea or Pakistan, having nukes already, even tougher still).

You seem to insist on singular reasons to go to war instead of being open to the big-picture, multi-faceted reasons for choosing Iraq over other alternatives. I suspect that if any long-term good (20 years from now) comes out of our post-9/11 wars, it is more likely to come from the legacy of our efforts in Iraq than from the legacy of our efforts in Afghanistan.

Hope they get blasted into the stone age...Oh wait
Iranian state TV carries report of Israeli build-up

TEHRAN (Reuters) – Iranian state television ran a report Monday saying Israeli military aircraft were massing at a U.S. air base in Iraq for a strike on Iran.

The report appeared on the website of Press TV. Israel said it had no knowledge of such a strike plan and Iraq's air force commander denied the Iranian report.

Press TV quoted what it said was a source close to the movement of Moqtada al-Sadr, an Iraqi Shi'ite cleric who opposes the U.S. presence in Iraq and has close ties to Iran's leaders.

Washington's ally Israel accuses Tehran of using its declared civilian nuclear reactor program to conceal a plan to develop atomic bombs that would threaten the Jewish state. Israeli leaders have not ruled out military action against Iran.

However, there has been no recent indication of increased tensions and no other information Monday to corroborate the Iranian television report.

An Israeli army spokeswoman said she had no knowledge of any such report and said the military did not comment on operational matters. Iraqi air force commander Staff Lieutenant General Anwar Ahmed rejected the report as "groundless."

"The al-Asad base (mentioned by Press TV) exists on Iraqi territory. We can never accept launching any military attack against any of the neighboring countries, whether Iran or any other country, from Iraqi lands," he told Reuters.

The United States and its Western allies suspect Iran is using its nuclear energy program as a cover to build bombs. Iran denies the allegation, insisting it needs nuclear technology to generate more electricity.

Iran has repeatedly warned that it would strike Israeli nuclear targets if Israel attacked its nuclear activities.

Iran does not recognize Israel, which it calls the "Zionist regime." Israel, believed to be the only nuclear-armed country in the Middle East, bombed Iraq's only nuclear reactor to rubble in 1981 when Saddam Hussein was in power in Baghdad.

Mr. Laz
05-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Dumb thread title
Dumb Roo

glad Ringleader got it, at least.

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 01:29 PM

While I agree that the military and CIA did a wonderful job I disagree that anybody would have made this decision. Both Clinton and Bush had chances to get him and passed.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 01:32 PM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gZ-v8RcOwpg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 01:34 PM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IS5lbfav6hw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brock
05-02-2011, 01:40 PM
From the looks of that video, it appears somebody developed a slight leak.

also, the computers they found probably have a ton of useful info on them.

patteeu
05-02-2011, 01:43 PM
While I agree that the military and CIA did a wonderful job I disagree that anybody would have made this decision. Both Clinton and Bush had chances to get him and passed.

The chances those guys had were under completely different circumstances. Clinton would have been acting before 9/11 so wouldn't have had that context to support his decision (he probably should have done it anyway, but it's not at all clear that Obama would have done anything different in those circumstances).

And I'm not sure which chance you're talking about wrt Bush, but to the extent that he had any intel on Osama's whereabouts in Pakistan, he would have had to weigh the quality of that intel against the delicate nature of our relationship with the Pakistanis. Again, Obama doesn't really have those concerns today.

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 01:53 PM
The chances those guys had were under completely different circumstances. Clinton would have been acting before 9/11 so wouldn't have had that context to support his decision (he probably should have done it anyway, but it's not at all clear that Obama would have done anything different in those circumstances).

And I'm not sure which chance you're talking about wrt Bush, but to the extent that he had any intel on Osama's whereabouts in Pakistan, he would have had to weigh the quality of that intel against the delicate nature of our relationship with the Pakistanis. Again, Obama doesn't really have those concerns today.

As I stated earlier in the thread a Col on Fox News this morning said Bush had actionable intel in 2005 where Bin Laden was in Pakistan but didn't act because of that fact.

Cave Johnson
05-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Hell freezes over.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/rush-limbaugh-we-need-to-open-the-program-today-by-congratulating-president-obama/

“President Obama has continued the Bush policies of keeping a military presence in the Middle East. He did not scrub the mission to get Bin Laden. In fact, it may be that President Obama single-handedly came up with the technique in order to pull this off. You see, the military wanted to go in there and bomb as they always do. They wanted to drop missiles and drop bombs and a number of totally destructive techniques here. But President Obama, perhaps the only qualified member in the room to deal with this, insisted on the Special Forces. No one else thought of that. President Obama. Not a single intelligence adviser, not a single national security adviser, not a single military adviser came up with the idea of using SEAL Team 6 or any Special Forces.”

Calcountry
05-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Heh, you'd think Bush would be the better shot!We sure as heck know Cheney aint.

KILLER_CLOWN
05-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Hell freezes over.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/rush-limbaugh-we-need-to-open-the-program-today-by-congratulating-president-obama/

“President Obama has continued the Bush policies of keeping a military presence in the Middle East. He did not scrub the mission to get Bin Laden. In fact, it may be that President Obama single-handedly came up with the technique in order to pull this off. You see, the military wanted to go in there and bomb as they always do. They wanted to drop missiles and drop bombs and a number of totally destructive techniques here. But President Obama, perhaps the only qualified member in the room to deal with this, insisted on the Special Forces. No one else thought of that. President Obama. Not a single intelligence adviser, not a single national security adviser, not a single military adviser came up with the idea of using SEAL Team 6 or any Special Forces.”

So only another 5 1/2 years of Obama?

patteeu
05-02-2011, 01:58 PM
As I stated earlier in the thread a Col on Fox News this morning said Bush had actionable intel in 2005 where Bin Laden was in Pakistan but didn't act because of that fact.

Yes, my answer applies directly to that situation. In 2005 we were still trying to work with Pervez Musharraf without getting him ousted. It's not at all clear that Obama would have acted in 2005 nor is there any reason to believe that Bush wouldn't have acted yesterday.

Calcountry
05-02-2011, 02:03 PM
<IFRAME height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YsnRKP56oxg" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>"We were even getting good x ray porn from the TSA"LMAOLMAOLMAO

He looks so depressed.

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Hell freezes over.

LMAO I was about to post that. Rush gets it so patteeu soon will follow in line :D

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 02:04 PM
<object width="364" height="256"><param name="movie" value="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/embed/player.swf" /><param name="background" value="#333333" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50104210" /><embed src="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/embed/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" background="#333333" width="364" height="256" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50104210" /></object>

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Yes, my answer applies directly to that situation. In 2005 we were still trying to work with Pervez Musharraf without getting him ousted. It's not at all clear that Obama would have acted in 2005 nor is there any reason to believe that Bush wouldn't have acted yesterday.

I am pretty confidant Obama would have acted in 2005 because he stated in 2008 when Musharaf was still in charge he would go in to get Bin Laden and screw the Pakistani's.

That is exactly what he did.

On the other hand Bush didn't want to piss off Pakistan and thought it would be easier to coddle them.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 02:11 PM
I see patteeu's cost statements in some of the quotes. Let's not forget the much of these wars is off budget.
Let's not forget that it was binLaden's goal to draw us into many countries until we were bankrupt. Seems to me he's getting that goal accomplished.
No, I am not for savings from this kinda of spending to be put into more social programs and entitlements—it belongs back in the private economy where people can rise up the ladder through honest production and exchange. Things that lead to private wealth and provides enough revenue for a smaller govt.

orange
05-02-2011, 02:12 PM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UN7sBDt3aWs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UN7sBDt3aWs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 02:13 PM
The blew up one that malfunctioned too.

Chief Henry
05-02-2011, 02:15 PM

QFT

mlyonsd
05-02-2011, 02:16 PM
I am pretty confidant Obama would have acted in 2005 because he stated in 2008 when Musharaf was still in charge he would go in to get Bin Laden and screw the Pakistani's.

On the other hand Bush didn't want to piss off Pakistan and thought it would be easier to coddle them.

You're telling us that in 2005 if Bush knew what F'ing house OBL was hiding in he wouldn't have acted?

Really? I mean, really?

Easy 6
05-02-2011, 02:16 PM
I was beginning to think this day would never come, just outstanding.

I'm surprised they went with the SEALS instead of Delta Force though, since they are the premier anti-terrorist guys, but either way the deed was done.

And Mother. F***. pakistan, those sorry sonsabitches... i hope this is the beginning of a VERY hard line with those pukes, starting with a DEMAND for our *Embassy Attache*/likely Delta operator, who's being held there as a spy (unless we've already gotten him back). My hate for that country has grown exponentially in the last few hours.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 02:19 PM

I'm surprised they went with the SEALS instead of Delta Force though, since they are the premier anti-terrorist guys, but either way the deed was done.

And Mother. F***. pakistan, those sorry sonsabitches... i hope this is the beginning of a VERY hard line with those pukes, starting with a DEMAND for our *Embassy Attache*/likely Delta operator, who's being held there as a spy (unless we've already gotten him back). My hate for that country has grown exponentially in the last few hours.

This operation was done in conjunction with the Pakistani govt though. This was launched from a US base in Pakistan. ( yup I said that) I admit they have been lousy in many ways but they came through on this one this time.

Chief Henry
05-02-2011, 02:20 PM

You've had a few more post in the past 3-4 months that I can agree with
and this is one of them.

Easy 6
05-02-2011, 02:22 PM
This operation was done in conjunction with the Pakistani govt though. This was launched from a US base in Pakistan. ( yup I said that) I admit they have been lousy in many ways but they came through on this one this time.

Even if thats true, how long had they been harboring him? indeed, it seems like he was quite well protected in a fortified compound right next to a military training base.

Chief Henry
05-02-2011, 02:24 PM

Don't forget, Obama was on the golf course for 9 holes too. That seams odd to me that you'd want to get the flat sticks out for 9 holes prior to making "the guttsiest" call of your presidential era. ButI'm not an avid golfer.
I only golfed three times last summer.

kstater
05-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Don't forget, Obama was on the golf course for 9 holes too. That seams odd to me that you'd want to get the flat sticks out for 9 holes prior to making "the guttsiest" call of your presidential era. ButI'm not an avid golfer.
I only golfed three times last summer.

The decision was made on Friday, not that it matters to you.

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 02:27 PM
You're telling us that in 2005 if Bush knew what F'ing house OBL was hiding in he wouldn't have acted?

Really? I mean, really?

I hope he would of course I didn't know they had actionable intel in 2005 of his whereabouts in Pakistan.

orange
05-02-2011, 02:27 PM
This operation was done in conjunction with the Pakistani govt though. This was launched from a US base in Pakistan. ( yup I said that)

What makes you think that? (either point, your choice)
SEALS are based at sea, on a ship. That's probably why they were chosen - the burial at sea is easier when you've returned to an aircraft carrier; as well as launching from an unexpected direction.

KCBOSS1
05-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Yes, the president scoped him out, shot him, and arrived back a little late to make a statement. Did you notice the delay before the statement? Who could blame him for that ay? However it got done, I'm glad that it did.

Chief Henry
05-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Really? I mean, really?

Just let him believe what he wants to believe. We all need a good laugh every no and then.

mlyonsd
05-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I hope he would of course I didn't know they had actionable intel in 2005 of his whereabouts in Pakistan.

Ok, whew, I thought you were going all crazy there for a minute. You don't know how many times we acted on intelligience.

Donger
05-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Well done 6 and intel weenies. I also give credit to Obama for green-lighting the plan. I'm glad that he didn't choose to throw a few Tomahawks or drop a few GBUs on it.

Donger
05-02-2011, 02:39 PM
SEALS are based at sea, on a ship.

Sometimes they are, yes.

|Zach|
05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Well done 6 and intel weenies. I also give credit to Obama for green-lighting the plan. I'm glad that he didn't choose to throw a few Tomahawks or drop a few GBUs on it.

Absolutely....populated area...secured compound. Bold move.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 02:45 PM

Everything I have seen says this is FALSE including a statement from the whitehouse that says "BEP is wrong, Pakistan did NOT know."

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 02:49 PM
This operation was done in conjunction with the Pakistani govt though.

Already posted this once to prove you wrong, but worth repeating:

Another senior administration official told reporters that Obama's administration did not share intelligence gathered beforehand with any other country -- including Pakistan -- for security reasons.

The official said that only a small group of people inside the U.S government knew about this operation in advance.
Read more: http://www.wesh.com/news/27739945/de...#ixzz1LDEjLIHz

patteeu
05-02-2011, 02:49 PM
LMAO I was about to post that. Rush gets it so patteeu soon will follow in line :D

I already praised Obama for his role in this so I don't know what you're talking about here. I bet that Rush isn't calling this event an election game changer.

Cheater5
05-02-2011, 02:50 PM
What makes you think that? (either point, your choice)
SEALS are based at sea, on a ship. That's probably why they were chosen - the burial at sea is easier when you've returned to an aircraft carrier; as well as launching from an unexpected direction.

You know this for a fact? All NSW operate from ships only, and they fly in every night to their targets? No. And...no.

How areas of responsibility are chosen for SOF have nothing to do with "Army guys operate on land, and Navy guys operate from the sea..." It has nothing to do with some General or the POTUS saying "Send in Delta" or "Send in the SEALs, they're my favorite..."

Joint Special Operation Task Forces (JSOTFs) are comprised on a rotational basis/target lines/areas of responsibility. Think 'purple' and not Navy Blue, Army Green, or whatever color you want. For example, the dudes who flew them to the target, were most definitely not USN...

We'll not know the full details of this OPN for many months/years, if ever. It's really kinda foolish to look at anything the MSM puts out regarding details of the mission. Any photographs or videos taken on the objective will only lead to a soda-straw view of the big picture, and further speculation.

patteeu
05-02-2011, 02:52 PM

What does what he said in 2008 have to do with what he would have done under different circumstances in 2005? He said he was going to close Gitmo in 2009, but in 2010 he says it's going to remain open. :shrug:

patteeu
05-02-2011, 02:54 PM

We already got him back, but I agree with your sentiment here.

alanm
05-02-2011, 02:56 PM

I've said all along this type of operation was a better way to go than over reliance on conventional warfare that just winds up killing more civilians than needed creating recruits for terrorism.Had it been a joint operation with the Pakistani govt they would of busted in to a empty compound. :shake:

Easy 6
05-02-2011, 02:59 PM
We already got him back, but I agree with your sentiment here.

Thats great, i was worried about that guy. He definitely wasnt just any embassy staffer. Reading 'Inside Delta Force' by Eric Haney convinced me of that.

Iowanian
05-02-2011, 03:00 PM
From the looks of that video, it appears somebody developed a slight leak.

also, the computers they found probably have a ton of useful info on them.

I wager there will be a domino effect of asshole al queda douchebags rotting on the ground in the near future as a result of those laptops.

If there were a laptop with the grand wizards decoder ring, it would have to be one found on OBL.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Had it been a joint operation with the Pakistani govt they would of busted in to a empty compound. :shake:

That's what's being reported in the mainstream news.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 03:07 PM
That's what's being reported in the mainstream news.

nope.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 03:08 PM
nope.
Stealin' my line I see.

Yup! I linked it earlier in this thread from abc that had a video reporter. You must be watching Faux News—they're horrible on the ME and WoT and they've lied before.

ClevelandBronco
05-02-2011, 03:09 PM
I already praised Obama for his role in this so I don't know what you're talking about here. I bet that Rush isn't calling this event an election game changer.

You're fairer minded than I. I think that Obama had no practical choice in the matter, so I'll refrain from giving him any credit. Had he passed on this mission and if word had ever gotten out, that would have been the end of his chances for 2012. And if he had passed, word certainly would gotten out. The people he would have pissed off would have made damned sure of that.

But maybe Obama wanted to take the shot. I'll never know.

Chocolate Hog
05-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Cleveland will be voting Democrat this go around.

dirk digler
What does what he said in 2008 have to do with what he would have done under different circumstances in 2005?

Fair point because if he was POTUS in 2005 he would have had to clean up the Iraq mess and going into another country might not be feasible.

ForeverChiefs58

Couldn't agree more about that toilet of a place.

May 2 (Reuters) - The United States believes that at least a dozen senior leaders of al Qaeda are in Pakistan, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers said on Monday.

"Of the 20 senior leaders in al Qaeda, at least a dozen of them we believe to be traveling around Pakistan someplace," he told reporters.

"It is incredibly important for us that we maintain a relationship (with Pakistan) so that we can pursue those targets that we know are posing a threat to the United States," he said.

Easy 6
05-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Couldn't agree more about that toilet of a place.

May 2 (Reuters) - The United States believes that at least a dozen senior leaders of al Qaeda are in Pakistan, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers said on Monday.

"Of the 20 senior leaders in al Qaeda, at least a dozen of them we believe to be traveling around Pakistan someplace," he told reporters.

"It is incredibly important for us that we maintain a relationship (with Pakistan) so that we can pursue those targets that we know are posing a threat to the United States," he said.

Untold billions of dollars just doesnt buy the same kind of loyalty it used to...

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 03:18 PM
We really need to start focusing on getting Al Zawahiri and Mullah Omar now. They are more than likely hiding in Pakistan as well

patteeu
05-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Thats great, i was worried about that guy. He definitely wasnt just any embassy staffer. Reading 'Inside Delta Force' by Eric Haney convinced me of that.

That book came to my mind when this news broke.

patteeu
05-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Cleveland will be voting Democrat this go around.

The whole city or just the majority of them?

Easy 6
05-02-2011, 03:26 PM
That book came to my mind when this news broke.

Yep, thats a good one, i'm always surprised at what an unassuming looking guy he is.

RaiderH8r
05-02-2011, 03:28 PM
The decision was made on Friday, not that it matters to you.

I'm as critical of Obammy as anybody so here goes.

To be fair, I wouldn't have gotten out of the cart to make the call on this one. "We got a shot at Osama? Options? SEAL Team 6. Go. Fore!"

I don't know about "gutsy" calls. I'm sure there were a lot of variables and unknowns but SEAL 6 is like sending in the Wolf.

Now, let's point out that Obammy made this gutsy call in a few days and it took him over 3 years to get his birth certificate. How f'd is that?

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 03:29 PM
We really need to start focusing on getting Al Zawahiri and Mullah Omar now. They are more than likely hiding in Pakistan as well

Al Zawahiri is the operational mastermind and he is listed as #2 by our govt. He's a very important guy to get. Try to get him alive. Dead men don't talk.

RaiderH8r
05-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Also, let's point out the lesson here: Jihad is all fun and games until SEAL Team 6 shoots your eye out.

"They'll shoot your eye out! They'll shoot your eye out!"

/Scene

ClevelandBronco
05-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Al Zawahiri is the operational mastermind and he is listed as #2 by our govt. He's a very important guy to get. Try to get him alive. Dead men don't talk.

They do if you get their hard drives.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 03:33 PM
If they have it all on HDs in understandable form. That wouldn't be very smart.

ForeverChiefs58
05-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Stealin' my line I see.

Yup! I linked it earlier in this thread from abc that had a video reporter. You must be watching Faux News—they're horrible on the ME and WoT and they've lied before.

The pentagon, defense dept. and whitehouse have all said pakistan did NOT know about it.
Have you not been paying attention to how our leaders have been saying that pakistan has been colluding with al qaeda and other militants for many, many years? He was living for over 5 years 1000 feet from the pakistani military training academy, his neighbors were retired military. So, what do you think? :spock:

Amnorix
05-02-2011, 03:44 PM

Dead men don't need to be tried, nor does one need to deal with whether prison conditions are humane, ethical, Constitutionally permissible, etc.

All in all, while actionable intel is great to have, killing shouldn't be underrated...

:D

Amnorix
05-02-2011, 03:45 PM
If they have it all on HDs in understandable form. That wouldn't be very smart.

Like the DoD/NSA can't crack anything OBL had to protect them...

Brock
05-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Like the DoD/NSA can't crack anything OBL had to protect them...

I would guess the average teenager could probably do it.

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 03:57 PM
LMAO

Bin Laden used his wife as a shield

Osama bin Laden used women as human shields as American forces fired on him in Pakistan on Sunday, White House counterterrorism adviser John Brennan said.

Brennan told reporters at the White House that women were “put in front of him as a shield.” He said that “speaks to, I think, the nature of the individual he was.”

One of the women was bin Laden's wife, Brennan said.

"She served as a shield," he said. "She was positioned in a way that indicated she was being used as a shield."

Brennan called Obama's decision to go after bin Laden one of the “gutsiest calls” in recent history at the White House, and he said that Obama’s chief concern was the safety of the Americans involved in the attack.

Radar Chief
05-02-2011, 03:59 PM
LMAO

Bin Laden used his wife as a shield

I read that. Fitting that his last move was to hide behind a chick.

BucEyedPea
05-02-2011, 04:04 PM
The pentagon, defense dept. and whitehouse have all said pakistan did NOT know about it.
Have you not been paying attention to how our leaders have been saying that pakistan has been colluding with al qaeda and other militants for many, many years? He was living for over 5 years 1000 feet from the pakistani military training academy, his neighbors were retired military. So, what do you think? :spock:

Yeah but what does that mean? Officially perhaps to protect Pakistan authorities that aided covertly to not raise the ire of militants? Or perhaps only some knew to keep it secret. Let's get one thing straight I don't believe everything our govt tells us. I am not one of the sheeple. They let us know certain things and use verbal sleight of hand too often.

But here's another report claiming otherwise:

One Pakistani official said the choppers took off from a Pakistani air base,suggesting some co-operation in the raid. President Barack Obama said Pakistan had provided some information leading to the raid, did not thank the country in his statement on bin Laden's death.

Pakistan's intelligence agency and the CIA have co-operated in joint raids before against al-Qaida suspects in Pakistan on several occasions since the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. But U.S. and Pakistani officials indicated that this mission was too important to let anyone know more than a few minutes in advance.

Pakistan's foreign office hailed the death as a breakthrough in the international campaign against militancy, and noted al-Qaida "had declared war on Pakistan" and killed thousands of Pakistani civilians and security officers.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/american-official-says-osama-bin-laden-killed-mansion-033317874.html

dirk digler
05-02-2011, 04:08 PM
I read that. Fitting that his last move was to hide behind a chick.

No kidding what a pussy.

And for BEP

The Navy SEAL team that killed Osama bin Laden had to elude Pakistani fighter pilots unaware of the American mission, White House homeland security adviser John Brennan told reporters at a White House briefing Monday.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/54080.html#ixzz1LEPuxCeJ