PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security Obama: No pictures of Osama

ROYC75
05-04-2011, 01:15 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bin_laden;_ylt=AuSzIWn5.7FIzXF6EkRR0FwUewgF;_ylu=X3oDMTE2YWphNjkzBHBvcwMxBHNlYwN5bi1yLWItbGVmdARz bGsDLXdod29uJ3RyZWxl

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama has decided not to release death photos of terrorist Osama bin Laden, he said in an interview with CBS's "60 Minutes," amid concerns that the gruesome image could prove inflammatory.

Obama's decision was reported on the CBS News Web site Wednesday after the president sat for an interview with the news magazine program.

Releasing graphic images of bin Laden's corpse after his shooting in a U.S. raid on his compound could have dispelled doubts that bin Laden is indeed dead. The worry, though, was that it would feed anti-U.S. sentiment.

The president made his decision as the Navy SEALS involved in the daring raid in Pakistan arrived in the U.S. for debriefing, and U.S. officials began to comb through the intelligence trove of computer files, flash drives, DVDs and documents that the commandos hauled out of the terrorist's hideaway.

Obama prepared to visit New York City on Thursday to lay a wreath at Ground Zero and visit with 9/11 families and first responders.

Brock
05-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Proof that this whole thing was fake! /nutjob

mikey23545
05-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Glad to hear we'll continue to kiss terrorist's asses.

Graystoke
05-04-2011, 01:50 PM
So we can see pictures of assinated JFK..but Bin Laden photo's..much to gruesome.

We should just kill him again for the pure pleasure of it.

blaise
05-04-2011, 01:50 PM
SEE! SEE! You took the word of a government official instead of some dude on a blog and now here's proof you were lied to!

RedNeckRaider
05-04-2011, 01:56 PM
To hell with that crap! Those pictures should be on our next postal stamp series~

Cave Johnson
05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Proof that this whole thing was fake! /nutjob

And he'll release the pic in Sept. 2012 after the wingnuts flog the issue. Win-win.

Seriously, I'm all for the compromise, showing it to a group of journalists.

Chocolate Hog
05-04-2011, 02:31 PM
This is fucking stupid.

alpha_omega
05-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Seriously, I'm all for the compromise, showing it to a group of journalists.

Objective journalists of course, right?

Discuss Thrower
05-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Show it to journalists and a good selection of officers of the US Military.

Donger
05-04-2011, 07:48 PM
$10 that Obama reverses this decision.

mikey23545
05-04-2011, 07:56 PM
$10 that Obama reverses this decision.

He will reverse shortly before the 2012 elections to try and get a little bump in popularity.

RJ
05-04-2011, 08:00 PM
What would be the benefit to the US in releasing the photos?

Donger
05-04-2011, 08:36 PM
What would be the benefit to the US in releasing the photos?

Graphic evidence of what happens when you choose fuck with us comes to mind. It really is pretty silly. We are fine with shooting the prick in the head (twice), but showing a picture of the result is just too icky to do.

Donger
05-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Then again, I think if we don't release the photos, why not challenge AQ to have bin Laden release a new audio tape of him mocking us about claiming he's dead.

Chocolate Hog
05-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Graphic evidence of what happens when you choose **** with us comes to mind. It really is pretty silly. We are fine with shooting the prick in the head (twice), but showing a picture of the result is just too icky to do.

NO NEED TO SPIKE THE FOOTBALL!

teedubya
05-04-2011, 08:43 PM
We will see the Death Certificate and photos in a couple years after the White House Photoshopper takes some classes. His first class is to learn to flatten the layers.

ROFL

mlyonsd
05-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Then again, I think if we don't release the photos, why not challenge AQ to have bin Laden release a new audio tape of him mocking us about claiming he's dead.http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTj_cEjUJAmtLKPG21SDW787rx5rnv29_bn1FJnQom_bSRtzeIW&t=1

Saul Good
05-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Obama was only too happy to show pictures of flag-draped coffins when Bush was in office. Of course, those coffins were filled with dead Christians, so he didn't have to worry about offending anyone.

RJ
05-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Graphic evidence of what happens when you choose **** with us comes to mind. It really is pretty silly. We are fine with shooting the prick in the head (twice), but showing a picture of the result is just too icky to do.

I think the fact that two dozen very bad ass Navy Seals descended on his rooftop in the middle of the night, put a couple of bullets in his head and then dumped his lifeless body in the Arabian Sea just twelve hours later ought to serve that purpose.

I just don't see any sense in releasing pics to appease doubters. Doubters won't doubt any less with pics.

Edit: I also think we've already told the world more than we should have about this operation. I think now we should leave them guessing about some things.

Donger
05-04-2011, 08:55 PM
I think the fact that two dozen very bad ass Navy Seals descended on his rooftop in the middle of the night, put a couple of bullets in his head and then dumped his lifeless body in the Arabian Sea just twelve hours later ought to serve that purpose.

I just don't see any sense in releasing pics to appease doubters. Doubters won't doubt any less with pics.

I don't really care either way, to be honest. But, I don't buy the "it will inflame tensions" bullshit either. Like some Jihad Johnny is fine with the knowledge that we removed half his head, but if he sees a picture of that same event, he's going to get all loco.

Saul Good
05-04-2011, 08:59 PM
It's probably just as well. If he decided to release pictures, he'd probably decide that he needed to purchase a few hundred of those 300 MP cameras that run $50,000 each.

RJ
05-04-2011, 09:01 PM
I don't really care either way, to be honest. But, I don't buy the "it will inflame tensions" bullshit either. Like some Jihad Johnny is fine with the knowledge that we removed half his head, but if he sees a picture of that same event, he's going to get all loco.

I agree, that's of no consequence, and I don't think it's the real reason. I think from this point, the less the terrorists know, the better off we are.

petegz28
05-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Obama was only too happy to show pictures of flag-draped coffins when Bush was in office. Of course, those coffins were filled with dead Christians, so he didn't have to worry about offending anyone.

um........THIS!

BigChiefFan
05-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Burden of proof is on our government. If they claim something, they better damn well release the proof. They work for us.

WV
05-04-2011, 10:47 PM
It's Hitler all over again....there will forever be doubters now.

Chocolate Hog
05-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Saul actually makes a great point. This really is disgusting.

MahiMike
05-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Screw the photos. I want DNA proof or it didn't happen.

redsurfer11
05-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Openness in my Administration? I will have nothing to hide. First his birth certificate, now this. Obama is like a child pulling the legs and wings off a fly.

BigRichard
05-05-2011, 05:51 AM
I think there will be too many people yapping about this. He should just release the photos.

Chief Henry
05-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Why do the stories keep changing about how all of this went down ? Were they not watching it or not. Im glad the POS is dead, but the O admn. keeps changing the details of the story. Does that not seem odd to any of you ?

Maybe they should have just said the POS was dead, and we will release the information in a few weeks after we colaborate our stories so they match. Leon Panetta is making the O admn. look like chumps.

Iowanian
05-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Obama has stated that "America doesn't need to spike the football".

That's fine, but in that case, I don't expect to see him dancing in the endzone for his own political gains.

Royal Fanatic
05-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Oh really? You might try telling that to the 100 people who were killed when the Islamic wackos ran amok after a Danish newspaper published editorial cartoons of Mohammed. Those idiots started riots over fucking cartoons. The artist has been under police protection for the last 6 years. For cartoons!

If you want to say "Fuck the militant Muslims, I don't care what they do, we should publish the pictures anyway and let the chips fall where they may", then that's an argument that a lot of people could get on board with. But to say that publishing a picture of Osama bin Laden with half of his head blown off would NOT inflame tensions is incredibly naive and 100% incorrect.

These are not rational people we are dealing with here.

headsnap
05-05-2011, 08:06 AM

Edit: I also think we've already told the world more than we should have about this operation. I think now we should leave them guessing about some things.

this!

ROYC75
05-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Why do the stories keep changing about how all of this went down ? Were they not watching it or not. Im glad the POS is dead, but the O admn. keeps changing the details of the story. Does that not seem odd to any of you ?

Maybe they should have just said the POS was dead, and we will release the information in a few weeks after we colaborate our stories so they match. Leon Panetta is making the O admn. look like chumps.

One only needs to look at the current administration see the reason why .

Releasing the info too quick was their first mistake. Not having their ducks ( donkeys) in a row was the next. Now the whole world is up in arms over what happened and why.

Plus factor in the matter of us telling the world of what we took just gave every pocket AQ cell the chance to breakup without taking them out.

This plan was good for the most part but too many loose lips sinks ships.

BucEyedPea
05-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Why do the stories keep changing about how all of this went down ? Were they not watching it or not.

If there was a video why isn't everyone demanding it, even more than the picture. Meanwhile the other dead bodies lying in massive pools of blood have been released already.

I can cut slack on misidentifying who the wife and sons were, but now we hear there was no firefight so where is the "fog of war?"

LOCOChief
05-05-2011, 09:42 AM
What I think is crazy is the front page of our local paper "Bin laden was unarmed"

Now how many photos have we seen of this guy with an AK47? And the press somehow knows that he was "unarmed" at the time of "operation dead injun varmet in the woodpile." bullshit

Royal Fanatic
05-05-2011, 09:50 AM
How a little bit of perspective here?

We got the SOB and he is dead.

Second-guessing everything else is like saying the quarterback didn't throw a perfect spiral on the touchdown pass to win the Super Bowl.

ChiefsCountry
05-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Just sell the pictures and video to the highest bidder like all of the paprazzi do. Then use that money to pay off the national debt.

See its American capitalism at work. :)

Donger
05-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Oh really? You might try telling that to the 100 people who were killed when the Islamic wackos ran amok after a Danish newspaper published editorial cartoons of Mohammed. Those idiots started riots over ****ing cartoons. The artist has been under police protection for the last 6 years. For cartoons!

If you want to say "**** the militant Muslims, I don't care what they do, we should publish the pictures anyway and let the chips fall where they may", then that's an argument that a lot of people could get on board with. But to say that publishing a picture of Osama bin Laden with half of his head blown off would NOT inflame tensions is incredibly naive and 100% incorrect.

These are not rational people we are dealing with here.

Bin Laden wasn't Mohammed.

Royal Fanatic
05-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Bin Laden wasn't Mohammed.

I never said he was.

And these aren't cartoons.