PDA

View Full Version : General Politics "It's a big club, and you and I ain't in it." - George Carlin FTW

teedubya
05-04-2011, 09:23 PM
<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/acLW1vFO-2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My sentiments EXACTLY.

fbal4lif32
05-04-2011, 09:55 PM
My sentiments EXACTLY.

Meh. It's kind of ironic for someone to stand on a stage being paid quite handsomely by people for his routines and books and preach to a packed audience that other people [the media] are basically indoctrinating us all day long, telling us what to believe, what to think. Is Carlin not essentially doing the same thing right there? Of course he is.

That's sheer idealist-driven populist rhetoric right there. It's boring and does not come close to showing what our world is like.

ForeverChiefs58
05-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Meh. It's kind of ironic for someone to stand on a stage being paid quite handsomely by people for his routines and books and preach to a packed audience that other people [the media] are basically indoctrinating us all day long, telling us what to believe, what to think. Is Carlin not essentially doing the same thing right there? Of course he is.

That's sheer idealist-driven populist rhetoric right there. It's boring and does not come close to showing what our world is like.

Not only that, but I had seen Carlin live a couple times, and when I pay big money for a comedean I want to laugh damn it! Those damn rants he would do were never funny. Made me want to scream "tell a joke mother @#)*&^!" I would MUCH rather hear about cuss words you can't say or funny coincidences!

MahiMike
05-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Carlin would have wanted a photo of Bin Lsaden.

Direckshun
05-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Bill Maher came to Springfield a month ago.

Hadn't updated his material since 2009, sadly.

Huffmeister
05-04-2011, 10:20 PM
George Carlin really died in 2001.

Direckshun
05-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I think Carlin transcended comedian two decades ago. He became a social commentator eventually, and there's nothing wrong with that other than you just not preferring what he has to say.

For my money, he made perfectly fine points about the devaluing of education and the overbearing nature of government trying to promote order over freedom. He also panned the red states' guns and jingoism fetish as hard as anybody.

BigChiefFan
05-04-2011, 10:27 PM
He died the day before the tickets went on sale for a show in KC. I was really looking forward to finally seeing him in person.

Brock
05-04-2011, 10:35 PM
He became a really bitter person late in life.

Rain Man
05-04-2011, 10:48 PM
That wasn't a very funny comedy routine. If I was in the audience I would've started heckling him.

blaise
05-04-2011, 11:45 PM
I used to listen to his stuff when I was a kid. I stopped thinking it was very funny around the age of 17.

Direckshun
05-05-2011, 12:46 AM
He became a really bitter person late in life.

I'll just go ahead and assume you aren't familiar with Carlin's body of work.

SNR
05-05-2011, 09:06 AM
This is a better video

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xIraCchPDhk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RNR
05-05-2011, 09:32 AM
This is a better video

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xIraCchPDhk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
One of my absolute favorite people to ever walk on the planet~

Brock
05-05-2011, 09:33 AM
I'll just go ahead and assume you aren't familiar with Carlin's body of work.

Nobody's stopping you from being your usual moronic self.

Donger
05-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm in it. I've got a membership card and everything.

vailpass
05-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Nobody's stopping you from being your usual moronic self.

Self righteous little bastard isn't he? I have 4/7 of a mind to inter him.

Brock
05-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Self righteous little bastard isn't he? I have 4/7 of a mind to inter him.

Well, he's just a stupid kid. The point is, when Carlin's first wife died, he and his act became a lot more bitter and cynical, and it's been noted over and over again in the media in the aftermath of his own death.

vailpass
05-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Well, he's just a stupid kid. The point is, when Carlin's first wife died, he and his act became a lot more bitter and cynical, and it's been noted over and over again in the media in the aftermath of his own death.

Absolutely.
Since I was a kid and had his album (yes, album) "7 Words You Can't Say on TV" I've listened to Carlin. He was always cynical but went over the edge into bitter after his wife passed. I didn't enjoy him after that.

fan4ever
05-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Bill Maher came to Springfield a month ago.

Hadn't updated his material since 2009, sadly.

You've paid to see him more than once?

blaise
05-05-2011, 12:39 PM

"Hey everybody, listen to how politically incorrect I am: George Bush sucks!"

WHOOOOOOOOO!

"Yeah, and religion is dumb. Let me show you an example of how a Christian is a hypocrite."

WHOOOOOOOOOO!

"I know you've all heard this before and you respond like you're the crowd at the Rocky Horror Picture Show just going through the routine, but I'm wild and cutting edge!"

WHOOOOOOOOOO!

InChiefsHell
05-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Remember when George used to be funny? yeah...those were great times...

...saw him in the early 90's in Omaha and damn near walked out...I wanted to laugh, not be lectured to.

RNR
05-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Remember when George used to be funny? yeah...those were great times...

...saw him in the early 90's in Omaha and damn near walked out...I wanted to laugh, not be lectured to.

I enjoyed him when he was younger doing gags and enjoyed his rants in his later years...different strokes I guess~

vailpass
05-05-2011, 02:02 PM
You've paid to see him?

fixie

InChiefsHell
05-05-2011, 02:41 PM
I enjoyed him when he was younger doing gags and enjoyed his rants in his later years...different strokes I guess~

Most definitely. His later stuff offended most of my sensibilities, therefore I did not enjoy it. I still say his best years were Carlin at Carnegie and A Place for your Stuff...that was comic gold.

mlyonsd
05-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Most definitely. His later stuff offended most of my sensibilities, therefore I did not enjoy it. I still say his best years were Carlin at Carnegie and A Place for your Stuff...that was comic gold.

Yup. Saw him in his later years and was disappointed. Dude had issues.

RNR
05-05-2011, 02:51 PM

I am 50 so I grew up watching him. I guess he and I both became cynical along the way ;) I agree with many of his viewpoints. He did go Lenny Bruce towards the end and both became very dark as time passed~

gblowfish
05-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Carlin was very smart and could really cut to the chase with his views on the state of the world. As he got older, and as his health deteriorated, I think he became a lot more bitter. I think when you're an agnostic, and the sand is just about out of your hourglass, your world view can become pretty caustic. A lot of what he has to say is bitter truth, but that's not why we love comics. We prefer that comics cheer us up, not bum us out. Carlin could do both. He was a master wordsmith, great painter of verbal pictures, and nobody was better at dissecting a hypocrite. But is that comedy, or is that a lecturer? I guess it depends on what you call entertainment.

I hope I'm not that cynical in my golden years. But I can see why that would happen.

RNR
05-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Carlin was very smart and could really cut to the chase with his views on the state of the world. As he got older, and as his health deteriorated, I think he became a lot more bitter. I think when you're an agnostic, and the sand is just about out of your hourglass, your world view can become pretty caustic. A lot of what he has to say is bitter truth, but that's not why we love comics. We prefer that comics cheer us up, not bum us out. Carlin could do both. He was a master wordsmith, great painter of verbal pictures, and nobody was better at dissecting a hypocrite. But is that comedy, or is that a lecturer? I guess it depends on what you call entertainment.

I hope I'm not that cynical in my golden years. But I can see why that would happen.

Very well said~

Huffmeister
05-05-2011, 11:48 PM

Very spot on, but I don't think he was agnostic. I'm pretty sure he was a flat out atheist.

Direckshun
05-06-2011, 12:29 AM

Just the once, but none of his humor was topical.

He could have stopped writing jokes altogether in 2009 and it would have been the exact same routine.

ClevelandBronco
05-06-2011, 10:15 AM
George Carlin wanted to be the white Dick Gregory and he was pissed when it turned out that white people by and large didn't want to be liberated.

Radar Chief
05-06-2011, 10:37 AM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pt0WkGe6-oY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My sentiments EXACTLY.

BucEyedPea
05-06-2011, 12:54 PM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eScDfYzMEEw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BucEyedPea
05-06-2011, 12:56 PM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qmXacL0Uny0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>