PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink The fascinating history of baby carrots.

Rain Man
05-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Well, I thought it was interesting.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/83226

Don’t send the kids out of the room just yet. This isn’t a story about the birds and the bees, but one about Mike Yurosek and his lumpy veggies.Like other plants and animals, not every carrot gets the good genes and a nice environment and turns out perfect. Some of them get pulled up from the ground lumpy, twisted and just plain ugly. Farmers know that even if an ugly carrot tastes better than any other carrot that ever existed, it won’t sell simply because it looks weird.

Every year Yurosek, a California farmer, culled and threw away tons of vegetables too ugly for supermarket shelves. In some harvests, 70 percent of his carrots were tossed. Most culled vegetables wind up getting fed to farm animals, but pigs and cows can only handle so many carrots. After a while, their fat turns orange, and meat is about as useful at the market as a lumpy carrot.Mike Yurosek’s Food RevolutionIn 1986, Yurosek came up with a solution to his ugly carrot problem. He would cut the carrots into smaller, sleeker, better looking forms, like a plastic surgeon for vegetables. He took the culled carrots and cut off any lumps and twisted parts. He was left with a perfect-looking mini-carrot just a few inches long, which he then peeled.The first experiment in baby carrot-making was done by hand with a potato peeler and a paring knife. After a few batches, Yurosek was thankful to find a used industrial green bean cutter — a frozen food company had gone out of business and posted an ad — that could cut the carrots into uniform 2-inch pieces. To finish the job, he just had to take the cut-up carrots to a packing plant and throw them into an industrial potato peeler.Yurosek sent some samples of his little carrots along with the regular load to one of his best customers, the Vons supermarket Los Angeles. The produce manager and the customers loved them; Yurosek has said the store called him the next day to say they wanted only the baby carrots in the next shipment. Within a few years, more supermarkets started carrying Yurosek’s little carrots and the world of produce changed forever.Yurosek died in 2005, but his name and his invention live on in the carrot business. Between the two largest carrot producers in the U.S., one continues to use a logo that Yurosek’s wife drew decades ago and one employs Yurosek’s grandson as director of agricultural operations. Baby carrots, meanwhile, continue to be a multimillion dollar industry.Baby NamesBaby carrots made in the Yurosek style are often labeled as “baby-cut” carrots in stores. There’s actually a second type of baby carrot available that’s specifically grown only to the “baby stage” and harvested long before the root reaches its mature size. They’re usually more expensive than baby-cut carrots, but fans of true babies will tell you that they’re worth it and have a superior texture and sweeter taste.

4th and Long
05-06-2011, 10:01 AM
http://www.minternetmarketing.com/Portals/55042/images/StarTrekSpockFascinating1.jpg

vailpass
05-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Very cool. I loves me some baby carrots with a smidgeon of ranch.

RealSNR
05-06-2011, 10:02 AM
There’s actually a second type of baby carrot available that’s specifically grown only to the “baby stage” and harvested long before the root reaches its mature size. They’re usually more expensive than baby-cut carrots, but fans of true babies will tell you that they’re worth it and have a superior texture and sweeter taste.
I found this last part very interesting.

Baby seal, baby cow (veal) and now baby carrots. Perhaps Mecca's old avatar tagline "Eat more babies" was onto something. Perhaps Mother Nature wants us to eat more babies if they keep coming out tastier than the adult products.

Shag
05-06-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm actually eating baby carrots as I read this. Mind blown.

4th and Long
05-06-2011, 10:04 AM
I found this last part very interesting.

Baby seal, baby cow (veal) and now baby carrots. Perhaps Mecca's old avatar tagline "Eat more babies" was onto something. Perhaps Mother Nature wants us to eat more babies if they keep coming out tastier than the adult products.
Is it wrong to club baby carrots?

Inspector
05-06-2011, 10:54 AM
I used to peel potatos with a hatchet.

They usually ended up as "baby potatos".

lazepoo
05-06-2011, 11:02 AM
I thought this was the title to a new Michael Chabon book at first. Good read anyway.

chasedude
05-06-2011, 11:02 AM
And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possesed me then. And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust." And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!" Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus. Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on........ This is necessary.

WV
05-06-2011, 11:54 AM
And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possesed me then. And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the holocaust." And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now, I have seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!" Can I get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus. Life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on life feeds on........ This is necessary.

Funny....I thought the exact same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!! Track 99...Tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valiant
05-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Lol was eating out of a baby carrot bag yesterday. Pulled out a huge fucker. Someone missed that one.

chasedude
05-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Funny....I thought the exact same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!! Track 99...Tool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember the first time I listened to the whole album. I thought my CD player was screwed up when it kept going to track 99 and then started playing again.

Gonzo
05-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Offseason... Meh
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc
05-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Very cool. I loves me some baby carrots with a smidgeon of ranch.I've recently taken to eating baby carrots with (natural) peanut butter. It's suprisingly good.

Okie_Apparition
05-08-2011, 12:27 AM
That bitch lies, it was a cheezy poof.

cabletech94
05-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Lol was eating out of a baby carrot bag yesterday. Pulled out a huge ****er. Someone missed that one.

i know there's a filter or something here.
but man o man, i hope this isn't supposed to say wiener.

:p