PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security I feel like we may have been robbed of a pretty special moment in American history.

Direckshun
05-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Obama was taking the victory lap this past week, and speaking to a military academy.

He invited George W. Bush to join him, and Bush declined.

Why, I'm not sure. Probably has to do with Bush's notoriously profile he's kept since leaving office, I suppose.

But I can't help but feel like we could have seen two politicians take the ultimate lead in a nation celebrating as one, rather than one yet again fractured by partisanship.

Bush takes the stage, does his pro-America spiel, harkens back to his days as commander in chief and the moments he shed tears upon hearing about 9/11 and the many deaths that occurred under his watch. That he, perhaps more than anyone, had a profound appreciation for Bin Laden's death and the spreading wave of freedom in the Middle East, as it coincides with his worldview that these historically disrespected brown people deserve every ounce of freedom they're fighting for just as the whites, yellows, browns and reds all over this earth. And that he couldn't be prouder of Obama landing this achievement, a man he deeply admires though they often disagree, and is willing to hoist all the credit in the world for finishing what Bush himself started.

To which Obama speaks, and applauds Bush for his international vision, even if they often disagreed how to execute it. The Arab Spring is every bit the ground-up groundswell that Bush himself envisioned for the Middle East, just as American aid to Africa soared at its highest levels during the Bush administration. These are noteworthy achievements that the man deserves high scores for, and even though the party in power may be different, that shouldn't dim the light of the ideals Bush himself promoted. And it was Bush's initial effort to fly to the other side of the world and crush the Taliban, promoting education for women and girls, and do its best to give the Afghans a voice of self-determination, to results that remain mixed at best. And while Obama himself stepped up many of the efforts in Afghanistan, it was Bush that initiated many of them, and this is as much a victory for Bush's determination as it is for Obama's execution.

And that this was an American victory, not one for either President, as we as a nation bound ourselves to one another as a monolithic people regardless of age, gender, race, creed, religion, or worldview, and fought for our collective freedom against those who foolishly attempt to extinguish it.

That's off the top of my head, anyway. I guess this could have been a pretty classic moment in American political history. Sad that it couldn't be, for whatever reason.

Chocolate Hog
05-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Get a hair cut hippie.

Ugly Duck
05-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Good thinking, nice writing.

ClevelandBronco
05-08-2011, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't piss on Obama if he were caught in an AIDS fire.

Mr. Bush probably had other reasons for not wanting to share a stage with the worthless sack of shit, but that would be mine.

KILLER_CLOWN
05-08-2011, 11:41 PM
I guess the stage was only big enough for one liar.

mikey23545
05-08-2011, 11:52 PM
After Bush's speech, Obama would have simply stood and read off the teleprompter "No blood for oil!"

Earthling
05-09-2011, 12:19 AM
I wouldn't piss on Obama if he were caught in an AIDS fire.

Mr. Bush probably had other reasons for not wanting to share a stage with the worthless sack of shit, but that would be mine.

I'm not biased in that regard and would welcome the opportunity to piss on both.

redsurfer11
05-09-2011, 05:24 AM
He invited Paul Ryan to sit in the Front Row once. Now you have your answer.

blaise
05-09-2011, 06:11 AM
"fractured by partisanship"? He didn't want to make it about him, probably. Give me a break.

Radar Chief
05-09-2011, 06:32 AM
He invited Paul Ryan to sit in the Front Row once. Now you have your answer.

Supreme Court Justices at SOTU speech anyone?
Once is a crass mistake, twice is showing a pattern.

RedNeckRaider
05-09-2011, 06:35 AM
I would imagine he didnít want the spotlight and has had a very low profile since he left office. That and Barry taking credit for Iraq last year even though he vilified everyone who supported the surge. And the fact he has taken full credit for this also although he vilified and threatened to prosecute men who helped gather the information that led to the mission.

I find it humorous of you acting earnest about seeing Bush attend. This is nothing more than an attempt to make Bush look bad and your hero Barry to appear nonpartisan. This clown has blamed everything on Bush and used him as a crutch for his failures, now expects W to play along in his campaign photo op at ground zero. You are the Glen Beck of the left Direckshun. You are so phony what used to irritate me about you has now become humorous~

blaise
05-09-2011, 06:37 AM
I think it more likely that Direckshun wanted Bush to be part of an Obama PR moment.

alanm
05-09-2011, 06:42 AM
The fact that Clinton turned him down also should tell you something.

blaise
05-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Maybe he's right, Bush should have made himself available so the footage could have been part of a future Obama campaign commercial.

ROYC75
05-09-2011, 08:20 AM
I would imagine he didnít want the spotlight and has had a very low profile since he left office. That and Barry taking credit for Iraq last year even though he vilified everyone who supported the surge. And the fact he has taken full credit for this also although he vilified and threatened to prosecute men who helped gather the information that led to the mission.

I find it humorous of you acting earnest about seeing Bush attend. This is nothing more than an attempt to make Bush look bad and your hero Barry to appear nonpartisan. This clown has blamed everything on Bush and used him as a crutch for his failures, now expects W to play along in his campaign photo op at ground zero. You are the Glen Beck of the left Direckshun. You are so phony what used to irritate me about you has now become humorous~

This.

Bewbies
05-09-2011, 02:25 PM

Barackshun has been foiled.

vailpass
05-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Direckshun the Asian Persuasion has too much time on it's hands.

Bump
05-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Guilt kept George Bush away from that 9/11 thing. But everytime he looks at his bank account, he remembers why he helped orchestrate 9/11.