PDA

View Full Version : Elections Money bomb?

Hydrae
05-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Obama raised $2 Million in Austin yesterday.

Obama's visit to Texas boosts campaign funding .
by JESSICA VESS / KVUE News

President Barack Obama is back in Washington D.C. after making a couple of stops in Texas on Tuesday.

The president talked about both politics and his re-election, as well as policy and his push for immigration legislation.

Obama first flew into El Paso. There he took the backdrop of the border city to speak immigration reform. The White House called it his means of boosting to public and congressional approval. Critics called it political agenda.

From El Paso the president flew on Air Force One landing at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport around 5:00 p.m.

Crowds lined up to see him both at the airport and along Austin streets, many with camera in hand.

“I respect the office of the President of the United States," said Ted Keller who waited for the motorcade along an Austin highway. "I'm proud to be an American and I'll take every opportunity I can to honor and in fact see the leader of the free world, and to get the winning shot. I'd love to have a photograph of him to add to my collection."

Inside the Moody Theater in downtown Austin, President Obama changed gears from policy to politics. He spoke about the successes of his presidency and how he intends to campaign for the 2012 election.

“Two and a half years later an economy that was shrinking at about six percent is now growing again," said President Obama. "Over the last three months, just the last three months alone, we've added about a quarter, about 3/4 of a million private sector jobs."

Obama said he will headquarter out of Washington D.C., but rely on supporters across the country to help spread his campaign.

After his speech at the Moody Theater fundraiser, President Obama traveled to a private event at a home in Westlake.

Tickets for the Moody Theater speech cost $40 for students and $1,000 for everyone else. The private event cost much more, reaching up to $35,000 a ticket. In all, the president raised about $2 million for his re-election campaign during the fundraiser events.

The president's approval rating now sits at 60 percent.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Obamas-visit-to-Texas-boosts-campaign-funding-121624279.html

Direckshun
05-11-2011, 12:42 PM
I'll say this... the guy couldn't be riding higher heading into campaign season, considering absolutely everything that we're dealing with as a nation.

ROYC75
05-11-2011, 12:45 PM
I'll say this... the guy couldn't be riding higher heading into campaign season, considering absolutely everything that we're dealing with as a nation.

So was Bush # 1 after the Gulf War, it's an eternity by political terms.

Just remember, no sitting POTUS has ever been re-elected with an unemployment rate of 8% or better.

Direckshun
05-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Just remember, no sitting POTUS has ever been re-elected with an unemployment rate of 8% or better.

No POTUS has ever lost an election during wartime.

So...

ROYC75
05-11-2011, 12:47 PM

So...

OK, it's a duel, something has to give.

Simplex3
05-11-2011, 01:41 PM
The private event cost much more, reaching up to $35,000 a ticket.

...but this guy is all for the little guy, right? He's different than other politicians, who just take money from rich people and do their bidding, right?

Our political system has become a complete joke. There wasn't a single person shelling out $35k for that who isn't expecting a return on that investment.

Hydrae
05-11-2011, 01:46 PM
...but this guy is all for the little guy, right? He's different than other politicians, who just take money from rich people and do their bidding, right?

Our political system has become a complete joke. There wasn't a single person shelling out $35k for that who isn't expecting a return on that investment.

Just to hear his speech was $1K.

The radio talk show this morning was talking about how they feel his campaign fund should refund the city for all the overtime spent on police and the like yesterday. He landed at the airport at 5 PM, they closed down a major road and then a 5 mile stretch of Interstate highway through downtown for his trip to the speech location. I am so glad I don't work near downtown, that must have been a mess to try to get home at the end of the day.

Simplex3
05-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Just to hear his speech was $1K.

The radio talk show this morning was talking about how they feel his campaign fund should refund the city for all the overtime spent on police and the like yesterday. He landed at the airport at 5 PM, they closed down a major road and then a 5 mile stretch of Interstate highway through downtown for his trip to the speech location. I am so glad I don't work near downtown, that must have been a mess to try to get home at the end of the day.

We were told to stay in our office on Crown Center and got to watch snipers point rifles at our building when GWB visited Hallmark years ago.

Direckshun
05-11-2011, 01:50 PM

So, public financing?

BucEyedPea
05-11-2011, 02:13 PM
So, public financing?

No

Then govt can control who gets financing. Full disclosure as to who gives what to whom and how much is the way.

Simplex3
05-11-2011, 02:37 PM
So, public financing?

Man, I just don't know. There isn't a good option that I can see. You can't cap spending. Public financing may be the best of the worst, but even it has serious issues.

An educated voting public is probably the only solution, but clearly that isn't going to happen any time soon.

Zombie apocalypse maybe?

ROYC75
05-11-2011, 03:28 PM
This thing has been a loose cannon for far too long. Time to get radical and serious to get it under control.

All campaign financing goes to one organization / firm, etc. for all parties.
Cut off date for a candidate to file.
Each candidate has a cap limit.
Money is distributed to each candidate.

Make the playing fields fair. Let the message of the candidates be the selling points, not the amount of money thrown behind a candidate.

Bewbies
05-11-2011, 03:53 PM

Holy shit you are high. LMAO

SNR
05-12-2011, 10:59 AM

So...That's such a weird stat. It's pretty much the exact opposite when it comes to British prime ministers.