PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Iran building rocket bases in Venezuela

HonestChieffan
05-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Obama unavailable due to campaign and golf commitments

'Die Welt': Iran building rocket bases in Venezuela
By BENJAMIN WEINTHAL, JPOST CORRESPONDENT
05/17/2011 01:41

BERLIN – The Iranian government is moving forward with the construction of rocket launch bases in Venezuela, the German daily Die Welt wrote in its Friday edition.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is Teheran’s most important South American ally.

Iran is building intermediate- range missile launch pads on the Paraguaná Peninsula, and engineers from a construction firm – Khatam al-Anbia – owned by the Revolutionary Guards visited Paraguaná in February. Amir al-Hadschisadeh, the head of the Guard’s Air Force, participated in the visit, according to the report. Die Welt cited information from “Western security insiders.”

The rocket bases are to include measures to prevent air attacks on Venezuela as well as commando and control stations.

The Iranian military involvement in the project extends to bunker, barracks and watch tower construction. Twenty-meter deep rocket silos are planned. The cost of the Venezuelan military project is being paid for with Iranian oil revenue. The Iranians paid in cash for the preliminary phase of the project and, the total cost is expected to amount to “dozens of millions” of dollars, Die Welt wrote.

The Paraguaná Peninsula is on the coast of Venezuela and is roughly 120 kilometers from America’s main South American partner, Columbia.

According to Die Welt, the clandestine agreement between Venezuela and Iran would mean the Chavez government would fire rocket at Iran’s enemies should the Islamic Republic face military strikes.

Meanwhile the German press agency (DPA) reported on Friday that Germany will not contest the placement of the Hamburg- based European- Iranian Trade Bank (EIH) on the EU sanctions list at the end of the month. The US Treasury Department sanctioned the EIH last year, saying it was one of the most important institutions in Europe for financing Iran’s missile and nuclear proliferation programs. Germany was the subject of criticism from American, French, British and Israeli officials because it refused to shut the EIH.

The EIH plays a crucial role in facilitating financial transactions for midsize German firms that are active in Iran. German- Iranian total trade amounted to over 4 billion euros in 2010, making German Iran’s No. 1 EU trade partner.

http://www.jpost.com/International/Article.aspx?id=220879

go bowe
05-16-2011, 08:25 PM
sorry, but when fox news does a report on rocket bases i'll believe it then...

or any msm outlet...]

or drudge, etc.

KILLER_CLOWN
05-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Bottle Rockets FTW!

LiveSteam
05-16-2011, 08:28 PM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7sVqBFhzfFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

durtyrute
05-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Hey dammit, we are the only place in the whole world that can print the truth.

CoMoChief
05-17-2011, 05:08 PM
not good

orange
05-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Their rockets can't reach the 800 miles to Israel but they're going to reach the 1000+ miles from Venezuela to the U.S.? :hmmm:

Pants
05-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Their rockets can't reach the 800 miles to Israel but they're going to reach the 1000+ miles from Venezuela to the U.S.? :hmmm:

Dude, the project cost them LITERALLY dozens of millions of dollars.

LMAO

Get the **** outta here, Iran.

WhitiE
05-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Dude, the project cost them LITERALLY dozens of millions of dollars.

LMAO

Get the **** outta here, Iran.

rocket bases on a budget?

Donger
05-17-2011, 05:37 PM

I'm not sure where you are getting that. They have some MRBMs that can reach out and touch at 2,000 kilometers.

orange
05-17-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure where you are getting that. They have some MRBMs that can reach out and touch at 2,000 kilometers.

I beg to differ.

The Shahab-3 (Meteor-3) is classed as a medium range ballistic missile but is the longest-range rocket Iran has successfully tested in public.

Iran says the missile, which it first tested in July 2008, can fly some 2,000km, although Western defence experts have put the strike range at 1,300km (807 miles).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8278026.stm

Donger
05-17-2011, 05:53 PM
I beg to differ.

The Shahab-3 (Meteor-3) is classed as a medium range ballistic missile but is the longest-range rocket Iran has successfully tested in public.

Iran says the missile, which it first tested in July 2008, can fly some 2,000km, although Western defence experts have put the strike range at 1,300km (807 miles).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8278026.stm

Depends on the warhead weight, but I think Iran and Israel are 1,300km apart.

orange
05-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Depends on the warhead weight, but I think Iran and Israel are 1,300km apart.

870 miles from Israeli airbases to Natanz - I remember that.

Donger
05-17-2011, 06:25 PM
870 miles from Israeli airbases to Natanz - I remember that.

Natanz isn't in eastern Iran and even there, that's what, just outside the supposed range? So, let's not state that Iran can't hit Israel. She can. She also has other MRBM that can fly farther.

orange
05-17-2011, 06:29 PM
None of which is germane to the point - they can't successfully hit the U.S. from Venezuela.

Dave Lane
05-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Its almost 2500 miles to the US and I call bullshit on the article anyway. Plus if this happened Obama would shoot Chavez in the eye like Moe Green.

mikey23545
05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Maybe Chavez's butthole buddy Obama can arrange for the Venezuelans to build some missile launchers on oil rigs in the Gulf that <i>are</i> close enough, huh?

mikey23545
05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Its almost 2500 miles to the US and I call bullshit on the article anyway. Plus if this happened Obama would shoot Chavez in the eye like Moe Green.

Riiiight...

Donger
05-17-2011, 06:40 PM
None of which is germane to the point - they can't successfully hit the U.S. from Venezuela.

I don't see what the Germans have to do with it.

Anyway, you stated that Iran can't hit Israel with their MRBMs. That is incorrect.

orange
05-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Anyway, you stated that Iran can't hit Israel with their MRBMs. That is incorrect.

Only you would think Israel was the main point of that rhetorical question.

And only you would imagine that "But they can (barely) reach Israel" answers that they can reach the U.S.

Chocolate Hog
05-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Riiiight...

I might be a little late to the party but your avatar mocking Jaz's dumbass one is hilarious!

Donger
05-17-2011, 06:49 PM

Only you would think Israel was the main point of that rhetorical question.

And only you would imagine that "But they can (barely) reach Israel" answers that they can reach the U.S.

It's not my fault you stated this:

Their rockets can't reach the 800 miles to Israel

orange
05-17-2011, 06:54 PM
It's not my fault you stated this:

Their rockets can't reach the 800 miles to Israel

No, it's your fault that you're quibbling over nothing.

Just mark the test "No pass" and I'll have my mom sign it and get it back to you.

Donger
05-17-2011, 07:23 PM
No, it's your fault that you're quibbling over nothing.

Just mark the test "No pass" and I'll have my mom sign it and get it back to you.

It's not "nothing" if you are an Israeli or a supporter of being their ally, orange. You were wrong. That's it.

Nightfyre
05-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Any rocket Iran can engineer at this point can be easily detected and intercepted by the US, if not blown off the goddamn launch pad.

bowener
05-17-2011, 08:41 PM
LMAO @ dong

KC native
05-17-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm calling bullshit on this. Hugo knows if he allowed this then he would really be on the US's hit list. No way he gives the US a legitimate reason to assassinate him.