PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Russia warns US of New Cold War !

ROYC75
05-18-2011, 12:44 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110518/wl_afp/russiaeuusmissiledefensepoliticsmedvedev;_ylt=Aq.95LZ5AebxYKiXKQgJs7rfrGIF;_ylu=X3oDMTE1dG5ndm1pBHBv cwM1BHNlYwN5bi1jaGFubmVsBHNsawNtZWR2ZWRldndhcm4-

SKOLKOVO, Russia (AFP) President Dmitry Medvedev on Wednesday warned the West it would face a new Cold War if it failed to address Russia's concerns over a proposed missile defence shield for Europe.

Medvedev told reporters that the US decision to push ahead with construction of the missile defence system despite Russia's objections will force Moscow "to take retaliatory measures -- something that we would very much rather not do."

"We would then be talking about developing the offensive potential of our nuclear capabilities. This would be a very bad scenario."

The Russian leader also reaffirmed any earlier threat to pull out of the new START disarmament agreement that entered into force this year if the missile shield is deployed and operated without the Kremlin's input.

"This would be a very bad scenario. It would be a scenario that throws us back into the Cold War era."

Moscow has been fighting NATO plans to deploy a system the West sees as a means of protection from nations such as Iran but Russia believes could potentially be deployed against its own defences.

The Kremlin's biggest fear is that the shield could one day be turned around and instead of shooting down incoming missiles be used to attack Russian soil.

Medvedev on Wednesday demanded a legally-binding assurance from the United States that this will never happen -- a safeguard that Moscow says Washington is refusing to give.

NATO has thus far invited Russia to voice its concerns in formal meetings but refused to provide Moscow with a formal role in the shield's operation that it seeks.

"We would like to see missile defence develop under clear rules," Medvedev said in the first broad-ranging press conference of his three-year presidency.

Medvedev said he understood the United States' argument that the shield was not aimed at Russia but rather nations such as Iran.

But he argued that such nations do not yet have the capacity to launch nuclear weapons at the West.

"That means it is aimed against us," said Medvedev.

"And if not, invite us to cooperate" in the shield's deployment and operation, the Russian leader said.

Simplex3
05-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Can the Republicans please, let's just say for five years, not announce new external threats to our continued existence?

And while we're on the subject I'd like the Democrats to spend that same time frame not bemoaning the end of our existence due to forces internal to the country.

At this point the only difference between the parties is the position of the boogie man.

jiveturkey
05-18-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't have an issue with the Russian's on this one.

ROYC75
05-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Can the Republicans please, let's just say for five years, not announce new external threats to our continued existence?

And while we're on the subject I'd like the Democrats to spend that same time frame not bemoaning the end of our existence due to forces internal to the country.

At this point the only difference between the parties is the position of the boogie man.

With today's 24 hr news agencies, nothing is sacred anymore. But what's worst is the R's and the D's run their mouths too much about foreign policy and US interest.

It's a far cry for years past.

ROYC75
05-18-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't have an issue with the Russian's on this one.

I agree, if we want Russia on our side as we claim we do.

Easy 6
05-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Yes, the Cold War is over my American Comrades!

That is why we placed an extensive spy network in your country at the conclusion of those terrible hostilities.

durtyrute
05-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Damn,more war ahead, I never would've guessed.

RedNeckRaider
05-18-2011, 01:26 PM

pretty much~

Simplex3
05-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Damn,more war ahead, I never would've guessed.

Total shocker, huh? War in Iraq. War against drugs. War against poverty. War against Afghanistan. War against terror.

It's almost like it's an overplayed tool.

Tell you what. Let's take one hundred Americans and one hundred Russians, none of them pretending to represent their entire country, and sit them in rooms in pairs. I'd bet you would have fewer then five fights (wars). This is all a game brought on by politicians.

bwampler
05-18-2011, 01:31 PM
What would be our opinion if Russia was placing defensive missiles in Canada or Mexico?

Simplex3
05-18-2011, 01:41 PM
What would be our opinion if Russia was placing defensive missiles in Canada or Mexico?

In conjunction with us placing them in Europe? Hell, let's put them everywhere. If they work it could be the thing that finally reduces the nuclear threat and keeps someone from having to retaliate full scale on the day some psycho fuqtard launches one or two.

AustinChief
05-18-2011, 02:00 PM
I think Russia's stance is understandable but a "new Cold War"... come on guys...

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/Impotent-absolut.jpg

(yes I know Absolut is Swedish, just pretend...)

ROYC75
05-18-2011, 02:05 PM

Your 1st post and a member since 09 ?

Welcome aboard.

Americans would be upset, Russia has a right to feel this way.

Are American upset that Iran is helping Venezuela build missiles capable of reaching our southern borders ?

durtyrute
05-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Total shocker, huh? War in Iraq. War against drugs. War against poverty. War against Afghanistan. War against terror.

It's almost like it's an overplayed tool.

Tell you what. Let's take one hundred Americans and one hundred Russians, none of them pretending to represent their entire country, and sit them in rooms in pairs. I'd bet you would have fewer then five fights (wars). This is all a game brought on by politicians.

Exactly. How is it possible that there are so many wars going on if they are not made up to some extent? Really, we are all over the world now. Shit, WE have become the worlds bully, but somehow it's always put on some other country, so we send our military over there. If it were a real war, wouldn't they have people over here as well?

Frazod
05-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Just in time for us to be completely dependent on them for everything space related! WOOHOO