PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security Chinese General: "China Does Not Have The Capability To Challenge The U.S."

ROYC75
05-19-2011, 11:07 AM
China's top military officer said Wednesday that his country lacked the equipment and directives necessary to challenge the U.S. militarily.

"Through my visit over the past couple of days in the United States, I am surprised by the sophistication of the U.S. military, including its weapons and equipment and doctrines and so on," People's Liberation Army leader General Chen Bingde said. "I can tell you that China does not have the capability to challenge the United States. As a matter of fact, the reconnaissance activities along China's coast by U.S. military aircraft and vessels are seen in China as deterrents."

For emphasis, the general added, "What I'm trying to say is that we do not have the capability to challenge the United States."

Chen made the comments at a joint Pentagon press briefing with Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Admiral Mike Mullen, in response to a question about potential exaggerations in some U.S. media circles regarding China's military capability. The briefing followed two days of what both military leaders described as positive meetings about U.S.-China military relations.

The issue arose again later in the conference, when Mullen was pressed by Chinese media as to whether the U.S. has overhyped threats posed by China.

"I think part of the discussions, and General Chen spoke to this, is his view of how far ahead the United States is technically," Mullen responded. "I think the opportunity that is presented by virtue of us meeting and having discussions is to validate our assumptions about each other, and make adjustments accordingly."

Questioned why, if China in fact poses no threat, the PLA takes potentially aggressive actions like the stealth fighter test flight that occurred during a January visit by Defense Secretary Robert Gates to Beijing, Chen took his argument even further.

"As it is known to all, the United States is a super-power in the world today; how can China easily have the ability to challenge it? That is simply not part of Chinese culture and we do not have that capability. We would strive for world peace, civility and development and well being of the whole humankind...The United States has far more advanced weapons and equipment."

Chen took some exception to the accusation, insisting the routine test flight was not targeted at Gates' visit, and questioned why similar issues were frequently raised to China but not the United States.

The general insisted, "After 30 years of reform and opening up, China's economy has made tremendous progress and we are now the world's second-largest economy...Our efforts to grow our economy is to ensure that the 1.3 billion people are better off. We do not want to use the money to buy equipment or advanced weapons systems to challenge the United States."

During his weeklong visit to Washington, Chen also met with Gates and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and delivered a speech to the National Defense University, where he said the only time U.S.-China military relations go bad is when the United States does not respect China's core interests, like a long-standing issue over Taiwan's sovereignty.

The trip has raised eyebrows on Capitol Hill, where some lawmakers are concerned about the sensitive U.S. military bases Chen and a group of his officers were invited to see. Several congressional officials suggest the visit runs counter to a 2000 law designed to limit such exchanges and prevent Beijing from bolstering its arms buildup.

General Chen closed the Wednesday afternoon presser by saying, "Admiral Mullen and I have had very friendly discussions, and we agreed on many things. It is my sincere hope that the U.S. media will also put China and the People's Liberation Army in a more positive light, to honor their reputation as objective press and media to the interest of both the Chinese people and people around the world."

Read more: http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/05/18/chinese-general-china-does-not-have-capability-challenge-us?test=latestnews#ixzz1MoarqBXV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, they just want to fund the smaller countries so that we have to police the world and slowly bring America down.

Detoxing
05-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Liars.

Simplex3
05-19-2011, 11:14 AM
No, they just want to fund the smaller countries so that we have to police the world and slowly bring America down.

Did anyone say they're stupid? Hell, it's right out of our own cold war playbook. Make your enemy spend themselves to death.

BigMeatballDave
05-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Why would China want America to fail? Who buys more of their crap than we do?

vailpass
05-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Back home we call this 'poor-boying it'.

Simplex3
05-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Back home we call this 'poor-boying it'.

He's correct that they couldn't compete on a 1:1 basis. Where he's doing the rope-a-dope is that their military is based on mass, and I don't know if we have an answer for the sheer size of their military.

alpha_omega
05-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Why are we inviting Chinese generals to see our military facilities?

Just the idea of that doesn't sound very smart. Anyone?

ROYC75
05-19-2011, 11:30 AM

The last 20 years we have not been very smart. Just following a trend?

The_Doctor10
05-19-2011, 11:32 AM
The idea that any major power wants to get into a war with another one is laughable in this day and age... There's far too much money to be made off each other to bother with some stupid petty war that's not gonna help anything. So china attempts to invade the US or vice versa. Good luck with that... It just couldn't possibly work. Even if you bring nukes into the equation, you've got MAD for that.

vailpass
05-19-2011, 11:33 AM
He's correct that they couldn't compete on a 1:1 basis. Where he's doing the rope-a-dope is that their military is based on mass, and I don't know if we have an answer for the sheer size of their military.

Of course we have an answer for the sheer size of their military. In fact we have thousands of answers for any contingency so long as we don't constrain ourselves with concerns about collateral damage or world opinion.

What we don't have is national resolution to sustain such an undertaking nor do we have the political leadership required to make the hard decisions.

vailpass
05-19-2011, 11:34 AM
The idea that any major power wants to get into a war with another one is laughable in this day and age... There's far too much money to be made off each other to bother with some stupid petty war that's not gonna help anything. So china attempts to invade the US or vice versa. Good luck with that... It just couldn't possibly work. Even if you bring nukes into the equation, you've got MAD for that.

Yep. The biggest kids on the block never want to fight each other. Unless something really personal happens that leaves them no choice.

RaiderH8r
05-19-2011, 11:43 AM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41785_2215216776_3654_n.jpg

Oh you American have a verry rarge a-penis. Our-a penis is a so smarre. So verry, verry smarre. Why we charrenge Americans who have such a rarge a-penis? We have verry smarre penis...

fan4ever
05-19-2011, 11:48 AM
They don't need a superior military; they're already destroying us economically.

And if we were to take them on in a war? Who'd we borrow the money from to fund it?

Have your kids learn Cantonese and Mandarin.

Amnorix
05-19-2011, 01:11 PM

Not possible, but at least we're on a different continent, so it's hard to bring their manpower advantage to bear.

JohnnyV13
05-19-2011, 07:50 PM
The chinese will bow and scrape before our magnificent society until long after we are only remembered in their 5,000 or so years of historical archives.

ClevelandBronco
05-19-2011, 08:06 PM
...I don't know if we have an answer for the sheer size of their military.

If anyone sees a billion Chinese swimming this way, lock and load.

Silock
05-19-2011, 08:22 PM
they're already destroying us economically.

LMAO

What an absurd statement.

mikey23545
05-19-2011, 08:27 PM
they're already destroying us economically.

LMAO

That's right.

Obama is handling that.

Dallas Chief
05-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Aaohhhhh!!!! Ching chong, ping pong, ling long....

patteeu
05-19-2011, 09:42 PM

I don't know whether it's the right thing to do or not, but the rationale is probably to help prevent both sides from starting a war based on mistaken assumptions and fear of the unknown.

Amnorix
05-20-2011, 07:22 AM
I don't know whether it's the right thing to do or not, but the rationale is probably to help prevent both sides from starting a war based on mistaken assumptions and fear of the unknown.

Oh, and China isn't our enemy and we are more than likely getting reciprocal visitation "rights".

FishingRod
05-20-2011, 09:51 AM
China is a strong regional nuclear power. They do not have the capability to challenge us very far outside of their own back yard. We certainly do not have the capacity to invade and occupy China. We could certainly make a mess but occupy, no way. China does have a nuclear capability that while tiny compared to ours could wipe out a good portion of our Major cities which is not really what we would consider acceptable losses if things were threatening to get to that point. A more realistic question would be if China were to try and invade Taiwan which they still consider part of their country, could we stop them and would we try? We have a very schizophrenic policy with regards to Taiwan. We recognize it as part of China and have also pledged to defend it for China.

cdcox
05-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Why would China want America to fail? Who buys more of their crap than we do?

The standard of living is increasing fast enough in China that they can increasingly buy their own crap.

Silock
05-20-2011, 05:30 PM
The standard of living is increasing fast enough in China that they can increasingly buy their own crap.

Yeah, that 125th ranking in per capita income sure is a doozy!
http://siteresources.worldbank.org/DATASTATISTICS/Resources/GNIPC.pdf

SNR
05-20-2011, 05:40 PM
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41785_2215216776_3654_n.jpg

Oh you American have a verry rarge a-penis. Our-a penis is a so smarre. So verry, verry smarre. Why we charrenge Americans who have such a rarge a-penis? We have verry smarre penis...I was going to post this

|Zach|
05-20-2011, 05:42 PM
If anyone sees a billion Chinese swimming this way, lock and load.

LMAOLMAO

fan4ever
05-20-2011, 06:17 PM
LMAO

You're right...I'm a bit premature...in another 5 - 10 years when they're the largest economy in the world and we can barely make the interest payments on our debt, you can look back on this and take comfort in calling me out for being so silly.