PDA

View Full Version : Obama Non War Continues. Obama happy.

HonestChieffan
05-21-2011, 08:23 AM
http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/obama-crazy-face.jpg

(ABC News) — In an effort to satisfy those arguing he needs to seek congressional authorization to continue US military activity in accordance with the War Powers Resolution, President Obama wrote a letter to congressional leaders this afternoon suggesting that the role is now so “limited” he does not need to seek congressional approval.

“Since April 4,” the president wrote, “U.S. participation has consisted of: (1) non-kinetic support to the NATO-led operation, including intelligence, logistical support, and search and rescue assistance; (2) aircraft that have assisted in the suppression and destruction of air defenses in support of the no-fly zone; and (3) since April 23, precision strikes by unmanned aerial vehicles against a limited set of clearly defined targets in support of the NATO-led coalition’s efforts.”

From the beginning of the U.S. military intervention in Libya, the Obama administration has cited the 1973 War Powers Act as the legal basis of its ability to conduct military activities for 60 days without first seeking a declaration of war from Congress. The military intervention started on March 19; Congress was notified on March 21. Those 60 days expire today.

Saul Good
05-21-2011, 12:00 PM
We've got a coalition, right?

go bowe
05-21-2011, 12:19 PM
From the beginning of the U.S. military intervention in Libya, the Obama administration has cited the 1973 War Powers Act as the legal basis of its ability to conduct military activities for 60 days without first seeking a declaration of war from Congress. The military intervention started on March 19; Congress was notified on March 21. Those 60 days expire today.

damn, this guy needs to find better lawyers to advise him...

the un enabling legisation in '49 or thereabouts authorized the use of military force to enforce security council resolutions...

orange
05-21-2011, 12:56 PM
damn, this guy needs to find better lawyers to advise him...

No, just better reporters.

Obama, on Libya deadline, welcomes Congress support
Related News NATO says Libya airstrikes cripple Gaddafi's forces
12:36am BST

By Alister Bull

WASHINGTON | Sat May 21, 2011 2:19am BST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama, facing criticism from some lawmakers that U.S. military action against Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi is about to become illegal, said on Friday the mission would benefit from congressional support.

Obama did not explicitly ask Congress to authorize the action he ordered in March to protect Libyan civilians, as his critics say is demanded by the 1973 U.S. War Powers Act.

Instead, he suggested U.S. involvement in Libya was now so limited that Congress's authority was not needed.

"I wish to express my support for the bipartisan resolution ... which would confirm that the Congress supports the U.S. mission in Libya and that both branches are united in their commitment," the president said in a letter to top lawmakers.

"It has always been my view that it is better to take military action, even in limited actions such as this, with Congressional engagement, consultation, and support."

Obama notified Congress on March 21 he had ordered military action against Libya as part of a multinational coalition.

That made Friday the 60-day deadline to seek congressional authority for the action under the War Powers Act. But the White House indicated it did not view the current level of U.S. military involvement in Libya as reaching that threshold.

"This is a narrow U.S. effort that's intermittent and is principally to support the ongoing NATO-led and U.N. authorized mission," a White House official said. "The U.S. role is also not only one of support but the kinetic pieces of that effort are intermittent."

The Senate last month blocked a vote on a proposal by Rand Paul, a first-term Republican senator and a favorite of the conservative Tea Party movement, to reaffirm the constitutional authority of Congress to declare war.

Paul's amendment quoted then-Senator Obama's words from 2007, when he told the Boston Globe "the president does not have power under the constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the (U.S.) nation."

Since March, NATO allies including France, Britain and the United States have conducted a campaign of air strikes to shield civilians from Gaddafi's forces.

Obama, who has ruled out putting U.S. troops on the ground in Libya, said on Thursday it was inevitable that Gaddafi would have to leave power.

In the letter to lawmakers, the president said NATO was now taking the lead against Gaddafi loyalists but that U.S. involvement remained critical to protecting Libyan civilians.

He also said congressional action to support the mission would be a valuable illustration of U.S. commitment, while nodding toward the constitutional issue raised by the 60-day War Powers Act deadline.

"Such a resolution is also important in the context of our constitutional framework, as it would demonstrate a unity of purpose among the political branches on this important national security matter," Obama said.

(Editing by John O'Callaghan)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/05/21/us-libya-usa-obama-idUKTRE74K07J20110521

full letter: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/21/world/africa/21libya-text.html

orange
05-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Support For NATO Allies Continues. HCF Unhappy.

HonestChieffan
05-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Chuckles.

Where in that BS did he get congressional support?

You truly are an Obama Gasbag.

The Mad Crapper
05-22-2011, 10:46 AM
http://www.moonbattery.com/obama-trinity.jpg

go bowe
05-22-2011, 05:35 PM
http://www.moonbattery.com/obama-trinity.jpg

the quality of your graphic posts has fallen off...

maybe you need a new source...

i mean, me myself and i, that's pretty pedestrian...

you usually give us stuff that's at least funny... :huh::huh::huh:

Saul Good
05-22-2011, 05:47 PM
No, just better reporters.

Obama, on Libya deadline, welcomes Congress support
Related News NATO says Libya airstrikes cripple Gaddafi's forces
12:36am BST

By Alister Bull

WASHINGTON | Sat May 21, 2011 2:19am BST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama, facing criticism from some lawmakers that U.S. military action against Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi is about to become illegal, said on Friday the mission would benefit from congressional support.

Obama did not explicitly ask Congress to authorize the action he ordered in March to protect Libyan civilians, as his critics say is demanded by the 1973 U.S. War Powers Act.

Instead, he suggested U.S. involvement in Libya was now so limited that Congress's authority was not needed.

"I wish to express my support for the bipartisan resolution ... which would confirm that the Congress supports the U.S. mission in Libya and that both branches are united in their commitment," the president said in a letter to top lawmakers.

"It has always been my view that it is better to take military action, even in limited actions such as this, with Congressional engagement, consultation, and support."

Obama notified Congress on March 21 he had ordered military action against Libya as part of a multinational coalition.

That made Friday the 60-day deadline to seek congressional authority for the action under the War Powers Act. But the White House indicated it did not view the current level of U.S. military involvement in Libya as reaching that threshold.

"This is a narrow U.S. effort that's intermittent and is principally to support the ongoing NATO-led and U.N. authorized mission," a White House official said. "The U.S. role is also not only one of support but the kinetic pieces of that effort are intermittent."

The Senate last month blocked a vote on a proposal by Rand Paul, a first-term Republican senator and a favorite of the conservative Tea Party movement, to reaffirm the constitutional authority of Congress to declare war.

Paul's amendment quoted then-Senator Obama's words from 2007, when he told the Boston Globe "the president does not have power under the constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the (U.S.) nation."

Since March, NATO allies including France, Britain and the United States have conducted a campaign of air strikes to shield civilians from Gaddafi's forces.

Obama, who has ruled out putting U.S. troops on the ground in Libya, said on Thursday it was inevitable that Gaddafi would have to leave power.

In the letter to lawmakers, the president said NATO was now taking the lead against Gaddafi loyalists but that U.S. involvement remained critical to protecting Libyan civilians.

He also said congressional action to support the mission would be a valuable illustration of U.S. commitment, while nodding toward the constitutional issue raised by the 60-day War Powers Act deadline.

"Such a resolution is also important in the context of our constitutional framework, as it would demonstrate a unity of purpose among the political branches on this important national security matter," Obama said.

(Editing by John O'Callaghan)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/05/21/us-libya-usa-obama-idUKTRE74K07J20110521

full letter: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/21/world/africa/21libya-text.html

So Obama would welcome support from Congress, but he doesn't feel that their authorization is necessary?

Chiefshrink
05-22-2011, 06:10 PM
So Obama would welcome support from Congress, but he doesn't feel that their authorization is necessary?

He is just going through the motions and could give a "sh** less" about the Constitution. This guy will "Chicago thug"(F yall, I do what I want, when I want) at every turn. Count on it:thumb:

mlyonsd
05-22-2011, 06:11 PM
It's like 2004 all over again.

Chiefshrink
05-22-2011, 06:15 PM
the quality of your graphic posts has fallen off...

maybe you need a new source...

i mean, me myself and i, that's pretty pedestrian...

you usually give us stuff that's at least funny... :huh::huh::huh:

Just admit you wished you had the "political photoshop wit" of the "Crapper".

Your jealous envy reveals itself for sure:thumb: