PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues USDA fines family four million dollars for selling bunny rabbits

KILLER_CLOWN
05-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Ethan A. Huff
Natural News
May 23, 2011

When the Dollarhite family of Nixa, Mo., first started raising and selling bunnies as part of a lesson to teach their teenage son about responsibility and hard work, they had no idea they would eventually meet the heavy hand of the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). According to a recent article covered in Breitbart’s Big Government, the USDA recently ordered the Dollarhite family to pay more than $90,000 in fines because they sold more than $500 worth of rabbits in a year — and if they fail to pay the fine by Monday, May 23, the fine will multiply to nearly $4 million.

It all started back in 2006 when John Dollarhite and his wife Judy rescued two rabbits that ended up breeding. The family cared for and raised the new rabbits, and eventually began to sell them to neighbors, friends, and others for $10 or $15 each. Having started by first selling the animals for meat, and later for show, the Dollarhites carefully and humanely raised the small creatures on their three-acre homestead, all while teaching their son honest values in a business environment similar to running a small lemonade stand.

Eventually, the Dollarhites developed such a highly-respected reputation across Missouri that the popular Branson, Mo., theme park Silver Dollar City, and even a local pet store, Petland, began purchasing bunnies from the family in 2009. And according to John, individuals from both Silver Dollar City and Petland, as well as a rabbit competition judge, told him that the family’s bunnies were among the best they had ever seen — healthy, beautiful, and very well-cared for.

All seemed well until a USDA inspector showed up at the family’s home in the fall of 2009, and asked to do a “spot inspection” of the rabbitry. The inspector made no indication that anything was amiss, but only that she wished to see the facility. After meandering the premises, the inspector claimed that a few very insignificant aspects of the raising facility were in violation of USDA standards, even though the Dollarhites were not USDA certified, nor were they required to be. She then asked if the Dollarhites wished to be part of the voluntary USDA certification system, upon which they told her they would look into it.

After the inspector left, the Dollarhites heard nothing more from the USDA until January 2010 when a Kansas City-based USDA inspector called the family and said he needed to have a meeting with them because they sold more than $500 worth of rabbits in a single year. When the Dollarhites asked why this was a problem and what law this violated, the man refused to offer an explanation over the phone.

Upon meeting in person, the inspector said he was only there to investigate the rabbitry and take notes for a report, upon which he instructed the family to contact another USDA office if they failed to hear anything further from the USDA after six weeks. As the eighth week arrived without any communication, John called the office and was redirected to the Washington, DC, office where a lady shockingly and bluntly explained to him that she had his report, and that the USDA planned to prosecute him and his family “to the maximum that we can” in order to “make an example” out of him.

Shortly thereafter, the Dollarhites received a letter from the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) ordering them to pay a fine of $90,643 for supposedly violating a mystery law that prohibits the selling of more then $500 in rabbits within a year, even though the Dollarhites were in full accordance with Missouri state law, did not sell their rabbits across state lines, and raised their rabbits humanely and in excess of minimum requirements. The letter outlined that the Dollarhites had until May 23 to pay the exorbitant fine, or else face additional fines totaling nearly $4 million — all for selling about $4,600 worth of rabbits that netted the family a mere $200 in profits.

The whole scenario proves, once again, that the USDA is nothing more than a tag-team terrorist duo with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Both agencies’ insatiable lust for power and control over private affairs is never satisfied, as they continue to prowl around like bloodthirsty predators seeking whoever and whatever they can devour. When will Americans finally stand up to their tyranny and say enough is enough?

To read the full account of the Dollarhite saga, visit:
http://biggovernment.com/bmccarty/2…

To contact the APHIS division of the USDA responsible for this mess and express your thoughts on the matter, write, call, or email:
USDA/APHIS/AC
4700 River Road, Unit 84
Riverdale, MD 20737-1234
ace@aphis.usda.gov
(301) 734-4978

You can also read a follow-up to the original story that includes a response from the USDA here:
http://bobmccarty.com/2011/05/19/usda-stands-behind-hare-raising-fine/

http://www.naturalnews.com/032476_rabbits_USDA.html

Bump
05-23-2011, 11:29 AM
wtf is wrong with this country

Calcountry
05-23-2011, 11:41 AM
But the "big meat" industry can run rabbits through a machine in bumfluck arkansas at a rate of 100/minute with impunity.

Saul Good
05-23-2011, 11:43 AM
There is no chance that there is more to this story.

KILLER_CLOWN
05-23-2011, 11:47 AM
There is no chance that there is more to this story.

Take a look, link was at the bottom or here http://biggovernment.com/bmccarty/2%E2%80%A6

ROYC75
05-23-2011, 11:48 AM
BIG GOVERNMENT ! WE NEED MORE !!! LET'S ELECT MORE IDIOTS TO GO TO WASH. DC TO REPRESENT US, THE LITTLE PEOPLE.

Okay, but does anybody see my point ? Too many regulations in areas we do not need them.

Just last week I seen an article where they raided an Amish farm about selling milk!

Velvet_Jones
05-23-2011, 12:24 PM
wtf is wrong with this country

People like Direckshun are what the problem is with this country.

Pitt Gorilla
05-23-2011, 12:33 PM
People like Direckshun are what the problem is with this country.Wow, that dude is really in your head.

Velvet_Jones
05-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Wow, that dude is really in your head.

He is not in my head. He is just a dumb ass Marxist.

Pitt Gorilla
05-23-2011, 12:44 PM
He is not in my head. He is just a dumb ass Marxist.Yeah, he's not in your head, yet you mention him when he has posted nothing in this thread. LMAO

ClevelandBronco
05-23-2011, 12:53 PM
People like Pitt Gorilla are what's wrong with this country.

Pitt Gorilla
05-23-2011, 12:55 PM
People like Pitt Gorilla are what's wrong with this country.THAT is what I'm talking about!

ClevelandBronco
05-23-2011, 12:59 PM
THAT is what I'm talking about!

:thumb:

Crap. I think I left rep with a colonectomy. I removed the second colon from the thumb — a less common procedure than removing the thumb from the colon.

Pitt Gorilla
05-23-2011, 01:00 PM
:thumb:

Crap. I think I left rep with a colonectomy. I removed the second colon from the thumb — a less common procedure than removing the thumb from the colon.LMAO

Jaric
05-23-2011, 01:26 PM
:facepalm:

SNR
05-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Everybody who posts in this thread are what's wrong with this country.

And Direckshun.

CrazyPhuD
05-23-2011, 01:44 PM
You know what's really wrong about this country? That people still consider it wrong for a grown man to fuck a bunny rabbit!

Radar Chief
05-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Everybody who posts in this thread are what's wrong with this country.

And Direckshun.

Didn’t you just post in this thread?
Gawddamnit, now I’ve posted in it too. :cuss:

FishingRod
05-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Count me in. I want to be part of what's wrong with this country

Hydrae
05-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Um, I'm not.

FishingRod
05-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Um, I'm not.

It aint a River in Egypt were talking about.

Radar Chief
05-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Um, I'm not.

Too late now.

KILLER_CLOWN
05-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Everyone who posts in this thread should consider rebuking the USDA, do you know how many lawns this kid will have to mow to come up with 4 mil USD?

ClevelandBronco
05-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Everyone who posts in this thread should consider rebuking the USDA, do you know how many lawns this kid will have to mow to come up with 4 mil USD?

Depends. Is he legal and Vietnamese for the sake of this calculation or illegal and Mexican?

|Zach|
05-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Wow, that dude is really in your head.

LMAO

|Zach|
05-23-2011, 03:21 PM
When I first glanced on the title I thought it said the family was fined for selling 4 million bunny rabbits.

That headline is worth a click.

durtyrute
05-23-2011, 03:59 PM
It just keeps getting better.

BigChiefFan
05-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Is this the USA or communist China? Good Lord, help us all. I really can't believe how much bureaucracy this country has been amassed in. Pathetic. That isn't freedom, that's villianism against our own brethren. Time to give Washington OUR marching orders. GTFO.

cdcox
05-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Seems like this was a good lesson for the kid. He tried to start a business without doing his homework and got his hand slapped. If he was running that many rabbits through his operation, what kind of E coli, rabbit fever and who knows what else was he spewing all over his community? Damn rabbit spewers.

BCD
05-23-2011, 10:26 PM
What a fucking joke. Hopefully, they can appeal this and get it thrown out or a huge reduction in the fine.

KILLER_CLOWN
05-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Tuesday, May 31, 2011

June 2 protest planned for USDA $90K rabbit fine
protest against government intrusion "into every aspect of our lives."

Rady Ananda, Contributing Writer
Activist Post

A Missouri group has vowed to continue protesting the USDA’s outrageous $90,000 fine on Missouri rabbit breeders engaged strictly in intrastate commerce. Their “crime” was selling without a license over $500 worth of rabbits in a single year to a reseller, which invoked federal statute, according to the April 19 USDA letter and attachment.

Wearechange Branson has set the next rally for Thursday, June 2 from 4:30–6 pm at Congress Member Billy Long’s Springfield office, 3232 E. Ridgeview Street. They rallied last Wednesday in front of a USDA Service Center in Ozark.

In a video, the Dollarhites conveyed much gratitude for the local and national support they’ve received since the news broke in alternative media.

“The support has been tremendous. I’m so full of hope that our people are coming together and supporting us. They’re fed up with the status quo of the way our government has taken over every possible aspect of our lives,” Judy Dollarhite said.

Bob McCarty at Big Government thinks that the USDA will cave based on an email he received on May 24 from USDA/APHIS Spokesperson Dave Sacks who advised:

“We are working out an alternative to the $90K fine and plan to reach out to Mr. Dollarhite over the next week to discuss. We are hopeful he’ll be amenable to discussing it with us and let us visit his facility as we work the issue out.”

McCarty included a bit of wisdom from Paul Hamby of Campaign For Liberty in Missouri: “Don’t declare victory yet. If a thug steals your car and then calls you to sit down and work out the terms of returning it to you, is that a victory?”

Rally organizers agree. On May 29, Sam Garner wrote: “As the USDA has not dropped all fines and allegations against the Dollarhite family, this issue is not over, it has not been resolved.” Hence the June 2nd protest.

Punitive measures against USDA inspectors are also in order. The first inspector lied to Judy Dollarhite when he claimed her cages were “a quarter inch too small.”

“In fact, there are no actual written USDA standards for what constitutes proper care of a rabbit by a wholesale breeder of pet animals,” Jonathan Strong wrote after speaking with Sacks of the USDA.

Sacks also admitted that the USDA is even going after entertainers who use rabbits, which begs the question: Why would the USDA be so concerned with controlling a prolific, natural food source?

Representing the Dollarhites is Richard L. Anderson who rejected the exorbitant fee and demanded a hearing in his May 19 letter to the USDA.

The protest will include speakers from the Well Fed Neighbor Alliance and the Feed Missouri First Coalition.

http://www.activistpost.com/2011/05/june-2-protest-planned-for-usda-90k.html

WV
05-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Bunnies are delicious!

Calcountry
06-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Is this the USA or communist China? Good Lord, help us all. I really can't believe how much bureaucracy this country has been amassed in. Pathetic. That isn't freedom, that's villianism against our own brethren. Time to give Washington OUR marching orders. GTFO.A growing percentage of our population loves sucking the governments schlong everyday just to get a check every month.

oldandslow
06-01-2011, 01:44 PM
I sell homegrown eggs. Have for years...We own about 80 hens more or less and the neighbors et al all stop by and get eggs once a week or so....I also take them to the rez once a week and give them out to folks who need them.

To be able to do this, I had to apply for a license, have an inspector come out to the place, illustrate that I could "candle" and egg (use a light to look through the shell to see if it is fertilized), and show him my chicken house. I also had to take and pass an egg handler's test. License costs me 20 bucks a year, every Feb. I also have to use new cartons with my name and address as well as the grade and size of the egg.

All in all, I figure I lose about a dime a dozen.

I have often wondered if they make the huge chicken farms go through all this.

Arsonist
06-01-2011, 01:53 PM
This country is gonna be the shit hole of the world soon enough