PDA

View Full Version : Elections 1st election since the Republican "Kill Medicare" bill

Ugly Duck
05-23-2011, 11:49 PM
When yet another Republi got caught for sexual perversion, his NY 26th district planned a special election for tomorrow (May 24). The 26th was specifically gerrymandered to always be Republi - it even went for Teabagger nutboy Paladino. But after the Republi candidate endorsed the Ryan "Kill Medicare" bill, the polls have the Dem pulling ahead.... an amazing feat since Republi's have won there for decades. This election could be a predictor of how the Republi's kill medicare bill will be accepted in the 2012 elections.

http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/7/2011/02/chrislee_frontimage.jpg

WASHINGTON, May 23 (UPI) -- Democrat Kathy Hochul is set to pull off an upset win against Republican Jane Corwin in New York's 26th district special election, polling indicates.

Hochul held a 6-point lead with 42 percent over Corwin's 36 percent, a Public Policy Polling survey released Sunday showed. Independent Jack Davis, running on the Tea Party line, received 13 percent support in the poll.

Pundits are watching the race, seen as a test of voter reaction to a 2012 federal budget proposal by Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis., containing a provision that would turn Medicare into a voucher-like system, The Hill reported.

Tuesday's special election was called by Gov. Andrew Cuomo after the Feb. 9 resignation of Rep. Chris Lee, R-N.Y., following a scandal in which he was caught responding to a woman's Craigslist personal ad using a false name and claiming he was single. The district has, with few exceptions, sent Republicans to Congress for decades.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/05/23/Poll-Democrat-poised-to-win-in-NY-26th/UPI-99191306194695/#ixzz1NF3Viqxx

Ugly Duck
05-24-2011, 02:04 PM
If the Dems pull off an unlikely victory in this ultra-conservative district... its gonna seriously shake up the Republi agenda. I don't believe its possible, but it sure looks close! Just being close is a freakin shocker to the Repubs....

NEWSMAX: BUFFALO, N.Y. — Today's tight race in New York's 26th Congressional District has become a referendum on the Republican plan to transform Medicare. The western New York district is among the most conservative in the state.

Nevertheless, the latest poll shows Democrat Kathy Hochul (HOH'-kuhl) with a slight lead over Republican Jane Corwin in the race to succeed Republican Chris Lee. Corwin was the early favorite but has seen her lead shrink after expressing support for a proposal to recast the government's health plan for seniors as a voucher program.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/NewYorkSpecialElection/2011/05/24/id/397451

tiptap
05-24-2011, 04:51 PM
We won't have an official winner until later this week, at least, in today's special House election in New York's 26th Congressional District. Trailing by four percentage points in the latest poll, Republican candidate Jane Corwin has successfully barred the certification of a winner, and the counting of paper ballots, until after a hearing before a judge later this week.

The Buffalo News reports that State Supreme Court Justice Russell P. Buscaglia issued a court order today at the request of Corwin's lawyers:

Pending court proceedings before Buscaglia on Thursday at the earliest, the judge also impounded all voting equipment and enjoined the canvass of paper ballots "except as directed by this court" and "temporarily enjoined and restrained from certifying" the winner pending that court hearing.

Chris Grant, a spokesman for the Corwin campaign, said the court action "is very typical" in such close elections.

"We recognize the closeness of the race and we want to make sure that every legal vote is counted fairly and accurately," Grant said.

The race is expected to be close, but it's hard to tell just how close it will be. As is the case with many House races, reputable polling has been scarce. Only two independent polls have been released, both by Siena College. Democrat Kathy Hochul leads Corwin by four percentage points in the latest one, conducted May 18-20. Corwin led by five percentage points in the last one, conducted April 26-27.

Results could hinge on how many votes go to Jack Davis, a third candidate running under the tea-party banner but disputed as an impostor by tea partiers.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/05/corwin-blocks-certification-of-winner-in-new-york-26/239409/

HonestChieffan
05-24-2011, 04:55 PM
I thought we were killing old people and the poor.

tiptap
05-24-2011, 04:56 PM
In the South.

Ugly Duck
05-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Republican candidate Jane Corwin has successfully barred the certification of a winner, and the counting of paper ballots, until after a hearing before a judge later this week.

....the judge also impounded all voting equipment and enjoined the canvass of paper ballots "except as directed by this court" and "temporarily enjoined and restrained from certifying" the winner pending that court hearing.

What the....? Damn Repuli's!

orange
05-24-2011, 10:18 PM
With about 90 percent of the precincts reporting, Hochul had 48 percent and Corwin 42 percent. Also on the ballot was a Democrat-turned-Tea Party candidate, Jack Davis, who polled 9 percent.

Celebrating victory, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee chairman Rep. Steve Israel said, "Even in one of the most Republican districts, seniors and independent voters rejected the Republican plan to end Medicare."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43161820/ns/politics-capitol_hill

Chris Grant, a spokesman for the Corwin campaign, said the court action "is very typical" in such close elections.

Did you say something, Chris?

Bewbies
05-24-2011, 10:35 PM
That sums it up, R's will never win an election again!

Frankie
05-24-2011, 10:39 PM
This was historically one of the most Republican of NY districts.

Frankie
05-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Celebrating victory, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee chairman Rep. Steve Israel said, "Even in one of the most Republican districts, seniors and independent voters rejected the Republican plan to end Medicare."

Oops. Steve Israel just read my post. ;)

Taco John
05-24-2011, 11:00 PM
I'll admit that I haven't been following politics too closely since my daughter was born last September. What is the "Kill Medicare" bill? This is the first time I've run across a reference to it.

tiptap
05-24-2011, 11:27 PM
It is the voucher plan to go get insurance but forth by Ryan in Congress. it was big talk in April

Ugly Duck
05-25-2011, 02:14 AM

This is the 5th Dem in that seat since 1857. The district voted for PALADINO... thats what rabid Republis they are - as extreme as they come. And they actually voted for a DEM rather than endorse a Republi that said she'd vote against Medicare. Watch Republis abandon Ryan in droves after this....

What is the "Kill Medicare" bill? This is the first time I've run across a reference to it.

The Ryan Plan. Senate Minority Leader Mich McConnell said yesterday that the Republis want to "empower Grandma to go out and get private insurance" instead of Medicare. Its not sitting well with the American people.... even Republis...

blaise
05-25-2011, 06:53 AM
I lived in that district, for at least 10 years. I see it voted Republican most of the time, but to portray it as some rabid Republican group seems a bit fake. I don't even know if you could categorize the entire district as having one mentality. It goes from Greece, which is a suburb of Rochester, sort of like a Grandview all the way to the Buffalo suburbs, which are like an hour and twenty minutes away. The whole area in between is basically small rural towns. Except Batavia, which is a small city.
It's not like this is some small pocket of wealthy Republicans in some congressional pocket outside NYC or something. I promise there's a lot of Democrats in that district.

blaise
05-25-2011, 07:35 AM
And as far as them voting for Paladino to show what rabid Republicans they are- the area around Rochester- Greece, NY and a lot of those towns are full of Italians. My high school was pretty small and I can think of at least 4 Paladinos in my school. Half the people I grew up with had names like Coppini, Cappatelli, Carpino, etc. It's probably more of an indicator of how many Italians there are.

AndChiefs
05-25-2011, 07:38 AM
I'm sure it also had nothing to do with the independent guy stealing 9 percent of the vote either. Let's face it, most (if not all) of the people voting for a tea party candidate would likely vote repub without him.

blaise
05-25-2011, 07:47 AM
I think it does indicate they're unhappy with Republicans, I just think to portray them as rabid Republicans is not that accurate. They vote Republican, but I'm sure they could be swayed. The district goes all the way to Tonawanda, there's a bunch of union workers around there. I'm sure there's Democrat votes to be had. It might say more about the type of candidates Democrats run out there.

HerculesRockefell
05-25-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm sure it also had nothing to do with the independent guy stealing 9 percent of the vote either. Let's face it, most (if not all) of the people voting for a tea party candidate would likely vote repub without him.

And considering that "Tea Party" candidate was actually a former Dem, who ran specifically to siphon off votes from the Republican candidate, yeah this was all about Medicare.

The same people on this site claiming this election was about Medicare were the same people saying the loss in NY23 two years ago was a repudiation of Republican obstructionism and that they had no shot at making a dent in the Dem majorities in '10.

orange
05-25-2011, 10:49 AM
By all means, Republicans should keep backing the Ryan plan to the hilt. Please.

Earthling
05-25-2011, 10:58 AM
And considering that "Tea Party" candidate was actually a former Dem, who ran specifically to siphon off votes from the Republican candidate, yeah this was all about Medicare.

The same people on this site claiming this election was about Medicare were the same people saying the loss in NY23 two years ago was a repudiation of Republican obstructionism and that they had no shot at making a dent in the Dem majorities in '10.

Seems pretty obvious to me. Corwin is leading in the polls by 5 pts. at the end of April, announces her support for the Ryan plan, then loses (apparently) the election just 4 weeks later.

Frankie
05-25-2011, 11:34 AM
This is the 5th Dem in that seat since 1857. The district voted for PALADINO... thats what rabid Republis they are - as extreme as they come. And they actually voted for a DEM rather than endorse a Republi that said she'd vote against Medicare. Watch Republis abandon Ryan in droves after this....

I think Republicans were seeing Ryan as their JFK and were grooming him for a 2016 presidential run. It's funny how soon the air is beginning to leak out of that red balloon.

Frankie
05-25-2011, 11:37 AM
I lived in that district, for at least 10 years. I see it voted Republican most of the time, but to portray it as some rabid Republican group seems a bit fake.....

And as far as them voting for Paladino to show what rabid Republicans they are......

Post whoring, blaise? ;)

Jaric
05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
I suppose the Scott Brown election was a referendum on Obamacare then.

Frankie
05-25-2011, 01:08 PM
I suppose the Scott Brown election was a referendum on Obamacare then.

Yes it was. But that referendum was manufactured by all the Tea Party relentless banshee-screaming campaign. There was no such campaign (in comparison) on the part of the left on this one. People figured out by themselves that the Republicans are for corporations and not for people.

boogblaster
05-25-2011, 01:15 PM
they coming for us all ....

orange
05-25-2011, 05:43 PM
By all means, Republicans should keep backing the Ryan plan to the hilt. Please.

Paul Ryan Budget Proposal Voted Down By Senate

First Posted: 05/25/11 05:45 PM ET Updated: 05/25/11 06:33 PM ET

WASHINGTON -- Senate Democrats wasted no time capitalizing on Tuesday's Medicare-fueled upset in a New York special election, holding a vote on the GOP budget plan Wednesday designed to put Republicans on record backing the controversial House budget plan.

The measure failed, 57 to 40, with five Republicans breaking ranks: Sens. Scott Brown of Massachusetts, Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Rand Paul of Kentucky.

The spending plan, crafted by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), would turn Medicare into a private program and transform Medicaid into a state block-grant system.

The Ryan budget was used as a Democratic rallying cry in the New York race, which saw Kathy Hochul triumph in the heavily Republican district.

Just before the vote Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) took to the floor to portray the GOP budget in stark terms.

"The Republican plan to kill Medicare is a plan to make the rich richer and the sick sicker," Reid said. His speech repeatedly used the phrase, "Republican plan to kill Medicare."

"Last night the people of America resoundingly spoke in rejecting the Republican plan to end Medicare as we know it," said Reid. "The No. 1, 2 and 3 issue in that congressional district, as it is all over the country, is destroying Medicare as we know it, putting insurance companies between patients and their physician."

Earlier, Democrats argued that the Medicare issue would be crushing for the GOP.

"It was a red district that Republicans were expected to win, but everything changed once that conversation turned to Medicare," said Washington Sen. Patty Murray. "So I'm confident that Senate Democrats will be able to play offense in races across the country by remaining focused on Republican effort to end Medicare."

"American families understand what's going on here. We're not going to stop talking about this in states across the country," Murray said.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.), one of Hochul's earliest backers, said of the NY race: "It's a bellwether for elections to come. There's no question that we have to tighten our belts, that we have to reduce the debt and deficit but we do not need to do that on the backs of our seniors."

The Senate was holding four budget votes in all. The second was on President Obama's budget offered in February. Although, his plan failed unanimously in a 97 to 0 vote, the administration had already largely abandoned it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/25/paul-ryan-budget-medicare-senate-vote_n_867126.html

orange
05-25-2011, 05:45 PM
The Rand Paul no vote is interesting. I guess he thinks it doesn't go far enough.

Ugly Duck
05-25-2011, 05:52 PM
I see it voted Republican most of the time, but to portray it as some rabid Republican group seems a bit fake. I promise there's a lot of Democrats in that district.

Fake? Is there a more Republi district somewhere else in the country? The Republi was way ahead before she endorsed the Kill Medicare bill...

Republican 1857
Republican 1861
Republican 1863
Republican 1867
Republican 1869
Republican 1871
Republican 1873
Republican 1875
Republican 1877
Republican 1883
Republican 1885
Republican 1887
Republican 1902
Republican 1903
Republican 1907
Republican 1912
Republican 1913
Republican 1920
Democratic 1945
Republican 1947
Democratic 1949
Republican 1953
Republican 1957
Republican 1963
Republican 1973
Republican 1983
Democratic 1993
Republican 2003
Republican 2009
Democratic 2011

That was the conventional wisdom. But after the Koch brothers spent millions to discredit the Teabagger candidate, the Dem surged ahead of the Republi.

Poll: 70 Percent of "Tea Party Supporters" Oppose Medicare Cuts

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/weigel/archive/2011/04/19/poll-70-percent-of-tea-party-supporters-oppose-medicare-cuts.aspx

blaise
05-25-2011, 06:31 PM
So, four of the last 12 people elected were Democrats, and two of the last four. It's not some rabid group of Republicans.

Ugly Duck
05-25-2011, 06:37 PM
It's not some rabid group of Republicans.

So then I suggest that the Republis just go full steam ahead with their Kill Medicare plan... no problem here!

FD
05-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Any Paulites with the inside scoop know why Rand Paul voted against the Ryan plan?

HonestChieffan
05-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Speaking of wild success....Orange must have missed this tidbit....

Obama Budget Fails 0-97 After Zero Senate Dems Vote For it…http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/05/zero-democrats-vote-proceed-obama-budget-fails-0-97?utm_source=feedburner+BeltwayConfidential&utm_medium=feed+Beltway+Confidential&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BeltwayConfidential+%28Beltway+Confidential%29feed&utm_content=feed&utm_term=feed

(Washington Examiner) – Zero Senate Democrats voted to move forward on President Obama’s 2012 budget proposal, and the motion to proceed on it failed by a unanimous 0-97 vote.

What this means is that thus far, no Senate Democrat has voted in favor of any budget plan.

As Guy Benson notes, this was the same Obama budget that Democrats effusively praised when it was released in February:

SEN. HARRY REID (D-NV): “President Obama’s budget is a serious attempt…” (Sen. Reid, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. CHUCK SCHUMER (D-NY): “This is a responsible proposal… I believe this approach should have bipartisan support.” (Sen. Schumer Press Release, 2/15/11)

SEN. CHRIS COONS (D-DE): “I am encouraged … I applaud the President for remaining committed to innovation…” (Sen. Coons, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. TOM CARPER (D-DE): “The President’s budget is an important step forward…”(Sen. Carper, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. MARIA CANTWELL (D-WA): “I applaud President Obama…” (Sen. Cantwell, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. JEANNE SHAHEEN (D-NH): “…a responsible framework…”(Sen. Shaheen, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. BILL NELSON (D-FL): “I personally think that the President’s budget is a step in the right direction.”(U.S. Senate, Finance Committee, Hearing, 2/16/11)

SEN. KENT CONRAD (D-ND): “The President’s budget gets it about right in the first year.”(Sen. Conrad, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. BEN CARDIN (D-MD): “President Obama has given us a credible blueprint…” (Sen. Cardin, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. KAY HAGAN (D-NC): “…a good start.” (Sen. Hagan, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. HERB KOHL (D-WI): “The President’s budget is a good first step…” (Sen. Kohl, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. KIRSTEN GILLIBRAND (D-NY): “… the President’s budget provides a good place to start the conversation.”(Sen. Gillibrand, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. RICHARD BLUMENTHAL (D-CT): “…the President’s budget provides a good blueprint for achieving many of our shared goals.” (Sen. Blumenthal, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. FRANK LAUTENBERG (D-NJ): “President Obama’s budget presents a careful evaluation of what our nation needs…” (Sen. Lautenberg Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. MAX BAUCUS (D-MT): “The President’s budget… strengthens our economy…” (U.S. Senate, Finance Committee, Hearing, 2/16/11)

SEN. SHERROD BROWN (D-OH): “The President’s budget proposal will put us on track…” (Sen. Brown, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. AL FRANKEN (D-MN): “The President’s budget proposal is headed in the right direction…” (Sen. Franken, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. TOM HARKIN (D-IA): “…the President has proposed a balanced approach…” (Sen. Harkin, Press Release, 2/14/11)

SEN. TOM UDALL (D-NM): “… it’s a solid starting point.” (Sen. Udall, Press Release, 2/14/11)

orange
05-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Speaking of wild success....Orange must have missed this tidbit....

Obama Budget Fails 0-97 After Zero Senate Dems Vote For it…[url]

You're right, I did miss that... or I would have posted that. Bringing that proposal up for a vote was a gimmick; no one is supporting it anymore. GOP might as well bring up Prohibition for a re-vote.

0 - 97, though, is impressive. I didn't think the Democrats had enough discipline for unanimous votes.

mlyonsd
05-25-2011, 08:45 PM
The bad thing for the dems is ex-pres Clinton even came out today and called them out to come up with a serious plan to fix it. He even asked Ryan to call him so they could talk. Now that would be something.

HonestChieffan
05-25-2011, 09:02 PM
The bad thing for the dems is ex-pres Clinton even came out today and called them out to come up with a serious plan to fix it. He even asked Ryan to call him so they could talk. Now that would be something.

Carter and Obama will soon meet to plan the next pro-palestinian effort. Should give Clinton cover to meet with Ryan.

orange
05-25-2011, 09:11 PM
http://www.hairy-putter.com/images/LetsDoLunch.gif

Sorry, closest I could get to a big dog. It is a big pic, at least.

orange
05-25-2011, 09:25 PM
Any Paulites with the inside scoop know why Rand Paul voted against the Ryan plan?

Senate votes down Toomey and Paul Budgets
Share Print By: Philip Klein 05/25/11 7:07 PM

The U.S. Senate shot down two budget proposals offered by Sens. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., and Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., on Wednesday as part of the flurry of budget related votes which were technically on motions to allow them to move forward to a formal vote.

Toomey's budget fared better, garnering 42 votes to 55 votes against. Two Republicans voted who voted against Rep. Paul Ryan's budget voted for Toomey's -- Paul and Rep. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska. The Toomey proposal balances the budget in 9 years, which is faster than Ryan's, but it doesn't address entitlement reform.

The even further reaching Paul proposal attracted just 7 votes. Interestingly, one of them was Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, who is trying to shed his moderate image to stave off primary challenges.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/05/senate-votes-down-toomey-and-paul-budgets#ixzz1NQCHiTAL

cdcox
05-25-2011, 09:26 PM
I accept that Medicare needs to be reformed (reduction of benefits and/or tax increases). I do not accept the abolishment of Medicare and I will vote against any candidate that supports its abolishment. If there isn't a government paid health care plan for the elderly, I will never be able to retire and neither will most of the people on this board. It is one of the few issues that would actually substantially affect my day-to-day life.

Ugly Duck
05-25-2011, 11:49 PM
I do not accept the abolishment of Medicare and I will vote against any candidate that supports its abolishment.

Most folks feel that way & they now have plenty of people to vote against. Senator Reid was slick in hurrying through a vote on the Ryan bill just after the NY 26th fiasco... forced the Senate Republis to vote on it before they could confer about the impending problem. Now there are 97 Republi Congressman & 40 Senate Republis that folks can take their anger out on.