PDA

View Full Version : Local Kansas Rep. Pete DeGraaf: Being impregnated during rape is like getting a flat tire?

Pitt Gorilla
05-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Ahhhhh, ahhhhh, Kan-sas. Kan-sas.

http://www.mcphersonsentinel.com/newsnow/x1058165813/Kansas-backs-bill-restricting-abortion-coverage

From the piece:

And Rep. Barbara Bollier, a Mission Hills Republican who supports abortion rights, questioned whether women would buy abortion-only policies long before they have crisis or unwanted pregnancies or are rape victims.

During the House's debate, Rep. Pete DeGraaf, a Mulvane Republican who supports the bill, told her: "We do need to plan ahead, don't we, in life?"

Bollier asked him, "And so women need to plan ahead for issues that they have no control over with a pregnancy?"

DeGraaf drew groans of protest from some House members when he responded, "I have spare tire on my car."

"I also have life insurance," he added. "I have a lot of things that I plan ahead for."

Simplex3
05-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Taken in context I don't see the problem with his comment. He isn't relating an abortion to a flat tire, he's relaying other things you should plan for and hope to not need.

I also don't see the problem with parting out the abortion coverage for insurance. I think I should be able to buy my insurance a la carte. Their fundie reasoning is idiotic, but whatever gets me the result I'm looking for.

Chiefspants
05-24-2011, 01:34 PM
IT"S FUNNY, MY AUNT"S SPARE COAT HANGER HAS LONG BEEN HER PLAN IN THIS SITUATION.

blaise
05-24-2011, 01:37 PM
I didn't see where he said the word rape.

Pitt Gorilla
05-24-2011, 04:06 PM
I didn't see where he said the word rape.He was responding to a question regarding rape. Did you read the OP?

vailpass
05-24-2011, 04:11 PM
So abortion is like a can of fix-a-flat?

Simplex3
05-24-2011, 04:15 PM

It leaves sticky goo everywhere?

Radar Chief
05-24-2011, 04:18 PM
It leaves sticky goo everywhere?

Apparently, it must also corrode the inside of your rim.

Zebedee DuBois
05-24-2011, 08:33 PM
The government should not be picking and choosing which legal medical procedures an insurance company can cover.

Simplex3
05-24-2011, 08:38 PM
The government should not be picking and choosing which legal medical procedures an insurance company can cover.

They aren't. KS is basically saying you can't force someone to buy a health insurance policy with coverage for a thing that some people are strongly against. This law would have the insurance companies offer a separate policy with abortion coverage.

Frankly it needs to go the extra mile, though. We need to be able to buy insurance for the things we want covered. My wife isn't going to get pregnant, so there's no reason for us to have maternity. But we have to because law requires it.

Brock
05-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Knowing Degraaf, this is really about religious nonsense.

Zebedee DuBois
05-24-2011, 08:52 PM
They aren't. KS is basically saying you can't force someone to buy a health insurance policy with coverage for a thing that some people are strongly against. This law would have the insurance companies offer a separate policy with abortion coverage.

Frankly it needs to go the extra mile, though. We need to be able to buy insurance for the things we want covered. My wife isn't going to get pregnant, so there's no reason for us to have maternity. But we have to because law requires it.

Lunacy. This law prevents people from buying a full featured comprehensive insurance product - because of some other peoples religious beliefs.

pr_capone
05-24-2011, 08:59 PM
IT"S FUNNY, MY AUNT"S SPARE COAT HANGER HAS LONG BEEN HER PLAN IN THIS SITUATION.

http://i.imgur.com/l7Y9n.jpg

stevieray
05-24-2011, 10:35 PM

What's even more unintellligent than getting pregnant when you don't want child for $1000, Alex.

blaise
05-24-2011, 11:35 PM
He was responding to a question regarding rape. Did you read the OP?

His line was quoted, I didn't see the question about rape quoted. I don't know how the conversation actually went. It looks to me that the article writer is saying he's responding to that, but the quotes used don't show that.

FishingRod
05-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Bollier asked him, "And so women need to plan ahead for issues that they have no control over with a pregnancy?"

Well for the majority of issues covered by insurance, people buy insurance for really crappy things that they didn’t want to happen. It is not a great comparison but the headline is like most politically motivated stories, misleading and full of false shock and horror.
No one wants to have cancer either but most people buy health insurance because of it. Now regarding the actual discussion I do think the legislature needs to keeps its nose out of what can and can’t be covered by the insurance companies regarding things that are not against the law.

loochy
05-26-2011, 09:32 AM

Yes. Just shoot it in there and the problem is taken care of. :thumb:

banyon
05-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Reminds me of the Obama "his solution for the energy crisis is to keep your tires inflated" exaggeration, except on the other side of the aisle.

FishingRod
05-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Reminds me of the Obama "his solution for the energy crisis is to keep your tires inflated" exaggeration, except on the other side of the aisle.

I agree that is a fair comparison, this one is just even more dishonest. Sad we need to quantify how dishonest politics have become