View Full Version : Obama Obama: “I’m working on gun control under the radar”

HonestChieffan
05-26-2011, 09:51 AM
I have no doubt they are.

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=9614

Obama: “I’m working on gun control under the radar”

Plans include enacting restrictions via executive order, bypassing Congress

by Jack Minor

While the Obama administration said it is committed to gun rights, a gun control advocate has spilled the beans, saying Obama is using stealth to work on firearms restrictions.

The Washington Post did a story on Steve Crowley, the White House gun control czar. Crowley is considered to be an expert on regulation and tort law. His approach to gun control appears to be a regulatory one.

According to the article, Jim and Sarah Brady visited Capital Hill on March 30, the 30th anniversary of the assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan; to push for a ban on "large magazines."

The couple reportedly were meeting with press secretary, Jay Carney, when, according to Sarah Brady, the President came in. She said the President told her he wanted to talk about gun control and "fill us in that it was very much on his agenda."

She went on to say Obama told her, "I just want you to know that we are working on it. We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar."

The statement reinforces an article in the Huffington Post describing how the administration is exploring ways to bypass Congress and enact gun control through executive action.

The Department of Justice reportedly is holding meetings discussing the White House's options for enacting regulations on its own or through adjoining agencies and departments. "Administration officials said talk of executive orders or agency action are among a host of options that President Barack Obama and his advisers are considering. "

Dudley Brown, president of Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, says he is not surprised to hear the President is trying to unilaterally enact gun control regulations. "It’s clear that President Obama and Sarah Brady have been using the ATF to enact what they can’t get through Congress: a ban on the importation of self defense shotguns, new reporting requirements for multiple rifle sales, and the attempt to smuggle firearms across the border to Mexican gang members are just a few examples."

BucEyedPea
05-26-2011, 10:08 AM
I saw this earlier. Let's face it we are living in a dictatorship.

orange
05-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Months of Obama Presidency: 28
Guns Grabbed: 0

HonestChieffan
05-26-2011, 11:35 AM

True. Its one thing he has not made worse.

verbaljitsu
05-26-2011, 11:39 AM
If he wants to work on it "under the radar," then telling Sarah Brady was probably the single dumbest thing he could have done.

Bwana
05-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Heh, I have everything I could ever want in the gun department, along with a damn near unlimited high capacity clips and ammo. I know a lot of people that figured if Barry didn't get it done, there would be someone down the road who might. With that being said, a lot of people that I know, are in the same boat I am and have everything their heart could desire in the gun department. Barry could find a way to ban all future sales of guns and ammo today and it wouldn't affect me in the least.

Fish
05-26-2011, 11:52 AM

But.... you just wait. He's gonna take em. Any day now......

LMAO

Actually it would be funny if this kind of garbage wasn't responsible for gun/ammo prices skyrocketing over the last 4 years...

BucEyedPea
05-26-2011, 12:19 PM

Again, procedure matters. We do such things with legislation provided they don't violate the Constitution. We do not use EO's improperly.

Bowser
05-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Issues like this will never stop me from chuckling. There are just those hotbutton issues that will be forever debated and fought over, but nothing will ever change. Guns are certainly one of them.

Baby Lee
05-26-2011, 05:16 PM

From a purely mathematical and factual POV, is it your position that Loughner has his arsenal in his possession? :p

CrazyPhuD
05-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Of course he'll say this to keep one of his core groups happen, but most politicians aren't stupid enough to actually pass anything major again. For a couple reasons...

First is the supreme court is very Gun rights friendly and you push a law that is a bit questionable and they may end up with a Roe V. Wade style 2nd amendment decision. That would be killer for the GC groups.

Second they aren't stupid enough to kill themselves politically, they know what happened in 1994 and they know that gun rights views have gone UP since then rather than down. The blood bath would likely be huge. No one want's to kill their party politically unless it is a HUGE issue and LEGAL gun ownership has minimal impact on crime.

alnorth
05-26-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm a little underwhelmed. Not that this should not be taken seriously, and I send a little money to the NRA every year to be vigilant against even the small stuff, but the "threat" that has been highlighted as theoretically within Obama's executive power is pretty small potatoes.

Obama would need cooperation with congress and perhaps the courts to do anything very significant, and that is simply not going to happen.

Brock
05-26-2011, 07:47 PM
First is the supreme court is very Gun rights friendly

Not really.

orange
05-26-2011, 08:40 PM
From a purely mathematical and factual POV, is it your position that Loughner has his arsenal in his possession? :p

From a purely purple prose POV, it is my position that "Guns Grabbed" has a particular meaning in this context which should be evident; and evidently should exclude purely proper impounding of crime weapons and evidence (which I don't believe anyone here has ever been against, but perhaps I'm wrong).

Oddly enough, it appears everyone got it (you got it, too - you're just tweaking me, I understand). But first - yesterday the Senate Democrats managed to hang together for four unanimous votes - and now this. Maybe the Rapture did take place Saturday and we just haven't understood the metaphysics of it yet.

fan4ever
05-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Maybe the Rapture did take place Saturday and we just haven't understood the metaphysics of it yet.

Well if the Rapture did take place that explains why none of our politicians have gone missing.