PDA

View Full Version : Economics Whats for dinner? Steak n Lobster

HonestChieffan
05-28-2011, 05:10 PM
http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Food-Stamp-Recept-Lobsters.jpeg

Somehow this needs to be corroborated. But if its true....good lord.

btlook1
05-29-2011, 12:11 AM
Good to know that our poor are putting our $$ to good use! I wonder if I can get some stamps to buy steak and lobster with....

BigMeatballDave
05-29-2011, 12:20 AM
:facepalm:

CrazyPhuD
05-29-2011, 05:37 AM
I don't understand what's wrong is it the mountain dew?

http://asseeninshreveport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/foodstamplobster1.jpg

johnny961
05-29-2011, 07:13 AM
If this receipt is legit...wow. I've heard stories of this kind of abuse before though. There needs to be more restrictions on the types of stuff that are covered by food stamps, and on who gets them. I don't know if this is the case here, but if that receipt is legit, it almost looks to me like maybe somebody sold their food stamps to somebody else to get the cash for something that wasn't food stamp eligible. Like alcohol or drugs.

mlyonsd
05-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Come on, the buyer showed restraint. It looks like only 2 of the 6 people eating lobster also get steak.

With that kind of sacrifice I don't have a problem with it.

Jenson71
05-29-2011, 10:23 AM
I worked at Hy-Vee for a few years and this receipt is not horrible. Remember how food stamps work. You pay $110 for $140 worth of food (something like that). You can buy whatever amount you want with that $140. You can't buy alcohol and cigarettes.

Steak and lobster is actually pretty healthy for you. It's much better than processed food, Oreos, non-diet pop, and other junk.

I'm in favor of reforms that restrict what you can buy on the food stamp programs, like what Mayor Bloomberg recently spoke about.

The poor are becoming obese on this program. And that means long-term health care costs and unhealthy, unproductive lives.

AndChiefs
05-29-2011, 10:27 AM
http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Food-Stamp-Recept-Lobsters.jpeg

Somehow this needs to be corroborated. But if its true....good lord.

I know people personally who do stuff like that. The majority of the rest just buy junk food.

wazu
05-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I worked at Hy-Vee for a few years and this receipt is not horrible. Remember how food stamps work. You pay $110 for $140 worth of food (something like that). You can buy whatever amount you want with that $140. You can't buy alcohol and cigarettes.

Steak and lobster is actually pretty healthy for you. It's much better than processed food, Oreos, non-diet pop, and other junk.

I'm in favor of reforms that restrict what you can buy on the food stamp programs, like what Mayor Bloomberg recently spoke about.

The poor are becoming obese on this program. And that means long-term health care costs and unhealthy, unproductive lives.

I have to agree with this. At least it's actual food and not just junk/crap. If you don't support the food stamp program in the first place, then that's an argument. But don't bemoan that people aren't spending wisely enough or acting "poor" enough.

patteeu
05-29-2011, 12:18 PM
I have to agree with this. At least it's actual food and not just junk/crap. If you don't support the food stamp program in the first place, then that's an argument. But don't bemoan that people aren't spending wisely enough or acting "poor" enough.

+1

mlyonsd
05-29-2011, 12:46 PM
I just noticed the date on the receipt....2/8.

Could be a Valentines Day meal for two very fat people.

Bewbies
05-29-2011, 02:31 PM
My brother was a cashier in high school, he used to tell me about this all the time. Poor folks eat ramen or mac n cheese, folks on food stamps eat like this.

banyon
05-29-2011, 02:57 PM
It's worse than this in Dodge. Illegal Husband and Wife go to the grocery store together. The wife pays for whatever she can on her TANF/Food stamps, while the husband pulls out a roll of fifties or hundreds for his separate purchase of a cart full of steaks and beer. Although they were married in Mexico, the wife claims single here and games the system. Sometimes they just make up kids on their claims too.

CrazyPhuD
05-29-2011, 05:20 PM
LOL

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20110523/COLUMNISTS09/105230329/Schneider-Lobster-Dew-Bridge-Card-allowance-You-betcha

I figured it had to be hoax.

It was just too perfect - in a perverse sort of way.

But I confirmed Monday morning the receipt, allegedly found in the parking lot of Angeli's County Market, in the Upper Peninsula town of Menominee, was legitimate.

It shows that somebody went into Angeli's in February and bought six lobsters, two porterhouse steaks and five cases of Mountain Dew - in all, $141.78 worth of groceries - using a Michigan Bridge Card.

Outrageous. I mean who would wash down an $18 lobster with Mountain Dew?

But seriously ...

A copy of this receipt is circulating on the Internet. I was skeptical. It was just too perfect an example of Bridge Card extravagance at taxpayer's expense.

But I called and eventually reached the general manager of Angeli Foods, Mike Jankovich, who acknowledged, reluctantly, that the receipt was real.

Jankovich was none too eager to contribute to what he called the "bad publicity."

"I've been hearing from lots of people about this," Jankovich said. "They're mostly people who don't understand how this can happen."

Jankovich pointed out there is nothing illegal about spending $141.78 worth of food assistance on lobster, steak and Mountain Dew - and that his employees had no right to refuse such a transaction.

Asked if the receipt surprised him, Jankovich said: "Yeah - it's usually not this blatant."

CrazyPhuD
05-29-2011, 05:20 PM
BTW best fucking thread EVAR!

http://www.michiganliberal.com/diary/17925/john-schneider-enraged-that-poor-people-eat-decent-food

notorious
05-29-2011, 08:10 PM
It's worse than this in Dodge. Illegal Husband and Wife go to the grocery store together. The wife pays for whatever she can on her TANF/Food stamps, while the husband pulls out a roll of fifties or hundreds for his separate purchase of a cart full of steaks and beer. Although they were married in Mexico, the wife claims single here and games the system. Sometimes they just make up kids on their claims too.

Don't get everybody wound up again.......including me.

notorious
05-29-2011, 08:14 PM
BTW best ****ing thread EVAR!

http://www.michiganliberal.com/diary/17925/john-schneider-enraged-that-poor-people-eat-decent-food

JFC

There are some people that are completely out of their minds in this country. :(