PDA

View Full Version : Misc Candy Ad: Racist?

HonestChieffan
06-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Oh, the outrage! Can M&M's be far behind?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/advertising/naomi-campbell-in-race-row-over-cadbury-chocolate-2290405.html
http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/cadburyad_610640a-275x348.jpg

Naomi Campbell Insists This Ad Is Racist.

Yesterday Campbell revealed she is considering “every option available” after Cadbury, owned by the US giant Kraft, refused to pull the ad campaign, which ran in newspapers last week: “I am shocked. It’s upsetting to be described as chocolate, not just for me, but for all black women and black people. I do not find any humour in this. It is insulting and hurtful.”

The model’s mother, Valerie Morris, backed her daughter, saying: “I’m deeply upset by this racist advert. Do these people think they can insult black people and we just take it? This is the 21st century, not the 1950s. Shame on Cadbury.”

Disgust at the ad prompted members of the public to complain to the campaign group Operation Black Vote (OBV), which has called for Cadbury to apologise. OBV’s Simon Woolley said that without an apology, the “only recourse black people have is not to buy its chocolate”. He has written to the American civil rights activists Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to ask them to mobilise the country’s Afro-American population. “I want them to know what their parent company is doing in Europe. I’ve asked them to support us.”

Mr Woolley said that, for black people, being likened to chocolate was as bad as being called a golliwog. “Racism in the playground starts with black children being called ‘chocolate bar’. At best, this is insensitive, and at worst it demonstrates Cadbury’s utter disregard for causing offence. Its lack of apology just adds insult to injury. The Eurocentric joke is not funny to black people.

“It’s particularly galling because we’ve just had a week that saw the establishment fall over themselves to be close to the Obamas and yet black people are being derided in such an insulting and negative way,” Mr Woolley added.

WV
06-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Naomi Campbell should be happy her ugly ass is in the news at all. Hypersensitivity at its best.

Jaric
06-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Wut?

Jaric
06-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Mr Woolley said that, for black people, being likened to chocolate was as bad as being called a golliwog. “Racism in the playground starts with black children being called ‘chocolate bar’. At best, this is insensitive, and at worst it demonstrates Cadbury’s utter disregard for causing offence. Its lack of apology just adds insult to injury. The Eurocentric joke is not funny to black people.

Forserious Mr Woolley? Why wouldn't someone want to be likened to chocolate? It's ****ing delicious. And it contain antioxidents so if eaten in moderation it's incredibly good for you too. It's also versitile. Anyone who thinks chocolate is just for deserts has never had a well made molle sauce.

In fact, I'm struggling to find a single negative experience involving chocolate. It's pretty much the bacon of the sweet world. Chocolate makes everything better.

CrazyPhuD
06-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Dude it's clearly NOT racist because it's not dark chocolate.

Jaric
06-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Dude it's clearly NOT racist because it's not dark chocolate.

Oh so it's white chocolate?!?!

Well now I'm offended. I don't know what makes this candy company think they can just insult white people like that but this oppression will not stand.

IT WILL NOT STAND!

Get Tom Hanks on the phone stat.

kepp
06-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Oh so it's white chocolate?!?!

I think it's maybe more of a milk chocolate. That would be mixed race, right?

Iowanian
06-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Naomi Judd should tell her to ststfu.

Baby Lee
06-01-2011, 09:14 AM
White folk should just stop acknowledging black folk even exist. They keep fucking it up.

blaise
06-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Seemed to me they were just saying she's a diva.

Brock
06-01-2011, 09:25 AM
She should be happy for the publicity, this isn't 1995 anymore.

SuperChief
06-01-2011, 09:41 AM
“Racism in the playground starts with black children being called ‘chocolate bar’

Not sure why, but this really made me lol.

Bob Dole
06-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Ray Nagin approves of this ad.

HonestChieffan
06-01-2011, 09:49 AM

rep lol

tooge
06-01-2011, 09:57 AM
this would have been racist if it said "move over Naomi, there is a new chocolate in town". As it is, the ad is simply calling her a diva. WTF?

HonestChieffan
06-01-2011, 10:02 AM
For the most part you all are insensitive as hell.

Bump
06-01-2011, 10:03 AM
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h361/Bump4/gifs/rnaDo.gif

Otter
06-01-2011, 11:12 AM
this would have been racist if it said "move over Naomi, there is a new chocolate in town". As it is, the ad is simply calling her a diva. WTF?

How so?

Hydrae
06-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Only black women are named Naomi? Because I certainly do not see anything that would indicate they are referring to a specific person, just a woman named Naomi.

ClevelandBronco
06-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Only black women are named Naomi? Because I certainly do not see anything that would indicate they are referring to a specific person, just a woman named Naomi.

Naomi Watts asks, "What makes you think they're talking about you, skank?"

Bump
06-01-2011, 11:19 AM
soon the word "Black" will be considered racist. Everybody is going to have to say African American until they deem that racist.

I'll tell you the right and wrong ways of doing things while you are out in public.

WRONG: walk into coffee shop and ask for a small coffee, black.
RIGHT: walk into coffee shop and ask for a small coffee, african american

Go to the car dealership and say "Is this Lexus available in African American?"

The word black is super offensive to black people because that is the name of the color, black sounds like a bad work so don't use it.

Also don't use the word dark either, like "It's getting dark out, we should head back." NO NO NO, that will rightfully get you beat up. Instead say "The light is going away, we need to head back"

Don't even mention the word monkey, if you are at a zoo and you see a monkey, just keep your mouth shut. It doesn't matter what you are implying, just shut up.

Otter
06-01-2011, 11:21 AM
soon the word "Black" will be considered racist. Everybody is going to have to say African American until they deem that racist.

I'll tell you the right and wrong ways of doing things while you are out in public.

WRONG: walk into coffee shop and ask for a small coffee, black.
RIGHT: walk into coffee shop and ask for a small coffee, african american

Go to the car dealership and say "Is this Lexus available in African American?"

The word black is super offensive to black people because that is the name of the color, black sounds like a bad work so don't use it.

Also don't use the word dark either, like "It's getting dark out, we should head back." NO NO NO, that will rightfully get you beat up. Instead say "The light is going away, we need to head back"

Don't even mention the word monkey, if you are at a zoo and you see a monkey, just keep your mouth shut. It doesn't matter what you are implying, just shut up.

Let 'em roll with it then when they get butt hurt start pushing buttons. That's what I do.

ClevelandBronco
06-01-2011, 11:22 AM

It also would have been a dull tagline that never would have made it out of the creative department. The word "diva" makes the tagline work.

Ms. Campbell's just looking for a

http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2460438.jpg

listopencil
06-01-2011, 11:23 AM
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LkO9fVBky0I" allowfullscreen="" width="425" frameborder="0" height="349"></iframe>

listopencil
06-01-2011, 11:26 AM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jCKxWQCs3f0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

listopencil
06-01-2011, 11:34 AM
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UFzcz86gRtQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Iowanian
06-01-2011, 11:35 AM
{Stomp! Stomp!}
"SEC-Sule CHOCOLATE!"
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_rFjbpbwVsOzxtcylkB6hWNYaz748YJCCe8j6QIeslX5r9h1T

petegz28
06-01-2011, 11:54 AM

DOH! Beat me too it

vailpass
06-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Naomi Campbell needs to shut her golliwog mouth.

DJJasonp
06-01-2011, 02:18 PM
The marketing team at Ritz:

Move over Jerry, there's a new cracker in town!

Rain Man
06-01-2011, 04:09 PM
I think it's more mysogynistic than racist.

Dave Lane
06-01-2011, 04:11 PM
What a diva.

vailpass
06-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Disgust at the ad prompted members of the public to complain to the campaign group Operation Black Vote (OBV), which has called for Cadbury to apologise. OBV’s Simon Woolley said that without an apology, the “only recourse black people have is not to buy its chocolate”. He has written to the American civil rights activists Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to ask them to mobilise the country’s Afro-American population. “I want them to know what their parent company is doing in Europe. I’ve asked them to support us.”

“It’s particularly galling because we’ve just had a week that saw the establishment fall over themselves to be close to the Obamas and yet black people are being derided in such an insulting and negative way,” Mr Woolley added.

LMAO "Brothas and sistuhs we must immediately cease our purchase and consumption of Cadbury chocloate products in support of our European counterparts."

siberian khatru
06-01-2011, 04:26 PM

I thought Naomi was an Old Testament Jewish name.

The ad actually is anti-Semitic.

RedNeckRaider
06-01-2011, 04:34 PM
I thought Naomi was an Old Testament Jewish name.

The ad actually is anti-Semitic.

Now that pisses me off...wait nah not so much~

vailpass
06-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Now that pisses me off...wait nah not so much~

LMAO So If I call the Jew Bear a golliwog candy bar am I good?

mikey23545
06-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Jeebus, this kind of stupidity could <i>turn</i> people racist...

HonestChieffan
06-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I do miss the Frito Bandito. That was advertising at its best.

ClevelandBronco
06-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Jeebus, this kind of stupidity could <i>turn</i> people racist...

Nah. Just naomiist.

BucEyedPea
06-01-2011, 07:42 PM

Of course not. Naomi Wolf isn't black. This lady is a Progressive and even thinks the Tea Parties fight fascism in America.

http://campusprogress.org/campus_files/uploads/images/Naomi%20Wolf.jpg

Oh and my kid's second nanny was named Naomi and she was white.

listopencil
06-03-2011, 01:40 AM
http://googlx.com/rickey-blog/images/2008/04/naomi-judd-01-2008-04-18.jpg

CrazyPhuD
06-03-2011, 01:48 AM
At best that is bush league racism...when they can beat this one then they can talk!

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4vAfXNzXueE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jenson71
06-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Naomi Campbell needs to shut her golliwog mouth.

Is a reporting due, because there exists the possibility that a visitor from outside this forum will be offended?

I reported the post . . . . I . . . get what he was trying to do but if someone from the outside read this thread the Planet would be unfairly labeled. Too, plenty . . . would think this was their license to do the same thing.

Judge me how you will, I thought it the right thing to do.

vailpass
06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Is a reporting due, because there exists the possibility that a visitor from outside this forum will be offended?

Why Ike, whatevuh do you mean?

Hydrae
06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
At best that is bush league racism...when they can beat this one then they can talk!

I really wish people would let go of the angst against the last President.

Rain Man
06-03-2011, 11:40 AM
If they call for an African-American boycott of chocolate, is it only dark chocolate? What about white chocolate? And if African Americans boycott dark chocolate and continue eating white chocolate, isn't that racist?