PDA

View Full Version : General Politics State Police say Gov. Christie's helicopter rides are 'no additional cost to taxpayer

mikey23545
06-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Sorry, moonbats...Swing and a miss!

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/06/state_police_say_gov_christies.html

Gov. Chris Christie has taken the state helicopter 35 times since taking office in January 2010, including to survey flood and storm damage, according to State Police.

State Police Superintendent Col. Rick Fuentes released a statement arguing the flights don't cost the taxpayer anything.

Fuentes said the time police pilots fly the governor count as training time.

"It is important to understand that State Police helicopters fly daily homeland security missions, and use flight time for training purposes, more so lately as we acclimate our pilots to the new aircraft," Fuentes.

"Therefore, there is no additional cost to taxpayers or the State Police budget, nor is there any interference with our daily mission by adding the stateís chief executive to any of these trips," Fuentes said. "Any flights transporting the Governor would be subordinated to priority needs for our aircraft including rescue and emergent law enforcement missions."

Fuentes pointed out that Christie is on duty 24 hours a day

"His transportation, safety and security are my responsibility, and he therefore travels with the State Police Executive Protection Unit, whether on state or personal business," Fuentes said in a statement. "As part of our long-standing security protocol, the EPU provides secure, protected travel by vehicle in the overwhelming majority of the Governorís business and personal travel, except in those rare instances when the Governorís schedule warrants use of air travel."

On Tuesday, Christie used a state police helicopter to fly to a baseball game in Bergen County, where his son Andrew was playing. He left the game, along with First Lady Mary Pat Christie aboard the helicopter. An hour and half later, he arrived via car at Drumthwacket, the governor's mansion in Princeton, for a meeting with a group of GOP donors from Iowa who were trying to court him to run for president in 2012.

Christie's trip yesterday included one hour of flight time, which costs $2,500, said State Police spokesman Sgt. Stephen Jones.

The helicopter left downtown Trenton, flew to the field in Montvale for the baseball game, and then flew to Princeton. Jones did not specify the exact landing sites.

Fish
06-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Fuentes said the time police pilots fly the governor count as training time.

So he's saying that the helicopter would have been flying anyway, whether it was taking the governor to a little league game or not? And that somehow justifies using the helicopter in that manner?

That's pretty weak...

And who pays for the training time?

Brock
06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
It was free!

Radar Chief
06-01-2011, 04:22 PM
So he's saying that the helicopter would have been flying anyway, whether it was taking the governor to a little league game or not? And that somehow justifies using the helicopter in that manner?

That's pretty weak...

And who pays for the training time?

I donít see the problem here. /Arianna Huffington

ClevelandBronco
06-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Doesn't matter if it's true. It was a dumb thing to do. He should admit his mistake and end the practice immediately.

Additionally, if it turns out that Christie had a hand in this release, I'd be even more disappointed than I already am. It's very poor form to ask someone else to attempt to explain away one's own poor judgement, IMO.

mikey23545
06-01-2011, 04:25 PM

That's pretty weak...

Why the hell is that weak?

Is there some part of that story your little brain can't wrap itself around?

I'll try to dumb it down for you...Pilots have to fly training flights anyway. If they weren't flying the governor that day they would have scheduled some other flying instead...

And as the article also states: "Any flights transporting the Governor would be subordinated to priority needs for our aircraft including rescue and emergent law enforcement missions." In other words, if there had been any urgent mission for the copter, it would have left the ol' governor without a flight.

It's also a matter of security: "His transportation, safety and security are my responsibility, and he therefore travels with the State Police Executive Protection Unit, whether on state or personal business," Fuentes said in a statement. "As part of our long-standing security protocol, the EPU provides secure, protected travel by vehicle in the overwhelming majority of the Governorís business and personal travel, except in those rare instances when the Governorís schedule warrants use of air travel."

Case closed.

Fish
06-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Why the hell is that weak?

Is there some part of that story your little brain can't wrap itself around?

Perhaps the part that you did not include when you quoted me..... it's a little telling that you chose to exclude that...

Who pays for the training time?

Yes... taxpayers.

But the police superintendent knows this, which is why he's framed it as "no additional cost".

But even then, we're expected to believe that shuttling the governor to a little league baseball game is equivalent to a training exercise. Which everyone here knows is not the case. At the $2,500/hr it takes to maintain the helicopter, you just don't make statements of equivalence like that. If you were paying a lawyer $2,500/hr to represent you, and he stopped by the strip club on the way to the courthouse, would it be OK because the strip club was on the way?

It was a stupid decision by the governor, that's looking even more stupid now that the police superintendent is trying to justify it in this manner. And the fact that you think this statement by the superintendent represents "case closed", makes you look like an imbecile.

banyon
06-01-2011, 05:49 PM
What about fuel costs?

orange
06-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Since it doesn't cost anything, the NJ State Patrol should organize shuttle flights to take all New Jersey fathers to their kids' little league games.

Brock
06-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Since it doesn't cost anything, the NJ State Patrol should organize shuttle flights to take all New Jersey fathers to their kids' little league games.

Why not, they're up there flying anyway!

Saul Good
06-01-2011, 06:52 PM
What about fuel costs?

Presumably, the flights require fuel regardless of whether or not Christie is on board. Maybe Pelosi can explain why this is a problem because I can't see it.

stevieray
06-01-2011, 06:56 PM
....was he flying around the Statue of Liberty taking pictures?

Bill Parcells
06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
NJ has the most cars per ca-pita than any other state in the country. the state is over populated and a traffic nightmare almost all over. I live here, I know.

It may be that it's the most efficient way for him to get around. it's dangerous being a NJ governor driving around. ask Corzine.

dirk digler
06-01-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't have a problem with him doing this but to claim it doesn't cost anything is beyond stupid.

For security reasons mostly I don't care if he has his own helicopter just like I don't care if Obama wants to take his wife on a date using AF1.

Discuss Thrower
06-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Incredibly dumb on his part unless he was able to state without a shadow of a doubt he personally financed it the moment he lifted off.

PunkinDrublic
06-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Well I'm glad you reserved judgement. I'm sure you'd give the same benefit of a doubt to a Democrat.

redsurfer11
06-02-2011, 05:28 AM
NJ has the most cars per ca-pita than any other state in the country. the state is over populated and a traffic nightmare almost all over. I live here, I know.

It may be that it's the most efficient way for him to get around. it's dangerous being a NJ governor driving around. ask Corzine.

He'd have to leave Princeton @ 11:00AM to reach Bergen County by 3:30PM, NJ is a traffic nightmare. The helicopter was needed to keep his schedule. All of you Midwesters no nothing of driving in NJ.

notorious
06-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Copenhagen Climate Summit.

Enough said.

Gary
06-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Presumably, the flights require fuel regardless of whether or not Christie is on board. Maybe Pelosi can explain why this is a problem because I can't see it.

I guarantee they used more fuel with Christie on board!!!

notorious
06-02-2011, 07:32 AM
I guarantee they used more fuel with Christie on board!!!

Enough of the fat jokes.

But seriously

Just because they had to use a Military Chinook to get airborne doesn't mean it was free.......

dirk digler
06-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Enough of the fat jokes.

Screw that. It appears he is so fat and lazy that when the helicopter landed he had a limo waiting to take him to the game which was less than 100 yds away.

mlyonsd
06-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Screw that. It appears he is so fat and lazy that when the helicopter landed he had a limo waiting to take him to the game which was less than 100 yds away.

He's just practicing for the new job he's taking over in 2013.

alpha_omega
06-02-2011, 09:18 AM
What do Pelosi and McCaskill think about this?

Bill Parcells
06-02-2011, 11:13 AM
He'd have to leave Princeton @ 11:00AM to reach Bergen County by 3:30PM, NJ is a traffic nightmare. The helicopter was needed to keep his schedule. All of you Midwesters no nothing of driving in NJ.

I'm telling you, I drove rte 70 through st louis during rush hour and laughed at anybody suggesting to me that THAT was considered ''STOP TRAFFIC'' in the midwest. wtf is stop traffic? is that a midwestern term? traffic is traffic.

anyways, I loved driving in the midwest. no trees by the highways and you can see from horizon to horizon. cant beat that. NJ? I cant take it anymore..lol

|Zach|
06-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Poor Mikey.

You can tell he tries.

Maybe you will get the next one champ.

FD
06-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Christie (and the New Jersey GOP) owned up and reimbursed the state for the $2000 helicopter ride today.

Christie Repays New Jersey for Helicopter Trip

alling it a way to end a distraction, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said he would reimburse the state more than $2,000 for using a state-owned helicopter to attend two baseball games.

Christie, who has earned a national reputation for cutting nonessential spending, came under fire this week for taking a chopper to his son’s high-school baseball game in Montvale Tuesday afternoon. Upon landing in an adjacent football field, a limo carried Christie about 500 yards to the baseball diamond.

The state Republican Party also paid for one leg of Christie’s helicopter travel, from Tuesday’s ballgame to a political dinner with Iowan donors trying to persuade the governor to run for president.

Other New Jersey governors have come under fire for their use of State Police helicopters in the past, and several have reimbursed the state.

The governor’s office in the past had said he did not plan to repay the state for helicopter travel.

Christie has taken 33 flights on the State Police helicopter so far this year, according to the governor’s office. The State Police said the governor’s trip on Tuesday took an hour and cost $2,500.

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2011/06/02/christie-repays-new-jersey-for-helicopter-trip/