PDA

View Full Version : Legal 10 year old ticketed for improper seatbelt usage

Hydrae
06-02-2011, 07:35 AM
This is so ridiculous. Give the ticket to the adult who is responsible for the kid's actions.

10-year-old Gets Traffic Ticket
Updated: Wednesday, 01 Jun 2011, 10:12 PM CDT
Published : Wednesday, 01 Jun 2011, 10:09 PM CDT

(AUSTIN,TX)- A Leander police officer is serious about getting people to buckle-up. So much so, that he gave a traffic ticket to a 10 year old boy, even though state law states the boy is too young to get one.

Marshal May,10, told Fox 7 News he was being driven by his relative in the 300 block of S West street Tuesday afternoon in Leander when an officer pulled them over.

The officer said the boy was improperly wearing his seat belt and issued him a citation. The problem, state law says you must be at least 15 years old to get a traffic ticket.

"I got really scared, I didn't know what was going on," said Marshal. "He said sorry, click it or ticket."

The ticket is a class C misdemeanor punishable up to a $500 fine. The officer filled-out the ticket the best he could and then made Marshal sign his name at the bottom. Marshal said he didn't know how to sign is name. The ticket reads his last name, middle name then first.

"Honestly, I thought it was a joke," said Marshal's father Gabriel.

He said the officer took the "Click it or Ticket" campaign way too far.

"I asked him what he was going to do to take care of the ticket today, and he said that he thought he might do community service all summer," said Gabriel. "It hit home, but in my eyes it home in the wrong way."

"Typically what you see is that the ticket goes to the responsible adult driving," said Defense Attorney David Gonzalez.

Gonzalez said the law is clear. He said Marshal and his parents may be forced to go to court and make a plea before a judge. He said most likely, the judge will throw out the case. He said in all his professional experience, he's never seen an officer issue a traffic ticket to a 4th grader.

"4th grade, a very impressionable age, you trust police officers, they're there to be fair and there to protect you," said Gonzalez.

Gonzalez said police can choose to let the ticket slide, and instead, issue a ticket to the driver. Wednesday, FOX 7 News reached out to the Leander Police Assistant Chief. He said he was going to look into the incident, but had no further comment as of news time.

Read more: http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/top_stories/10-year-old-gets-traffic-ticket-20110601-ktbcw#ixzz1O7au81AK

Over-Head
06-02-2011, 07:46 AM
What a prick!! A written warning would have hammered the point home a lot better IMO, now the kid is gonna be like a lot of folks in teh world who think cops rank some where between whale shit in teh bottem of a dry well, and meth lab cookers.

Nice move Mr.Cop...here's yer fuggen sign!! :clap:

listopencil
06-03-2011, 12:14 AM
As a parent of four kids I agree with what the officer did. Hopefully the kid goes to court, gets a lecture, and leaves impressed with the idea that he is responsible for his actions in the eyes of the law. That's not actually true, as parents are held responsible for their children's actions, but it's a good idea to get planted in a kids head. The kid's dad should use it as a lesson rather than complaining about it. Looks like he dodged a ticket himself.

ClevelandBronco
06-03-2011, 01:02 AM
I hope the little son of a bitch had the good sense not ask anyone to pray. He'd really be up a fucking creek then.

notorious
06-03-2011, 07:50 AM
As a parent of four kids I agree with what the officer did. Hopefully the kid goes to court, gets a lecture, and leaves impressed with the idea that he is responsible for his actions in the eyes of the law. That's not actually true, as parents are held responsible for their children's actions, but it's a good idea to get planted in a kids head. The kid's dad should use it as a lesson rather than complaining about it. Looks like he dodged a ticket himself.

Meh, put the parenting responsiblity in the hands of the court.

Ticket the kid and lectrue him, and just one kid learns his lesson. Nail the parents to the wall, and all of their kids will learn.

Hydrae
06-03-2011, 08:29 AM
A couple of things I have heard about this in the last 24 hours. First, the driver was not the parent, it was another relative. Second, it turns out that by law in Texas a person under the age of 15 can not be ticketed for vehicular issues (not sure just how to put that).

My perspective is that adults are responsible for the kids until they turn 18. As such, the adult was the responsible party in that car who needed to ensure the seatbelt was being worn properly. Note, this was not due to no seatbelt, it was "worn improperly," whatever that means. Probably pulled him arm through the shoulderstrap. No way should the child (with no income or ability to earn an income to pay any fines) have been ticketed, the driver was responsible for the actions of the minors in the vehicle.

whoman69
06-03-2011, 03:28 PM
The case will be thrown out as its been pointed out that ticketing a 10-year old is illegal. What should have happened was the adult got the ticket and the officer explained to the 10-year old why it happened and why he was responsible.

listopencil
06-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Meh, put the parenting responsiblity in the hands of the court.

Ticket the kid and lecture him, and just one kid learns his lesson. Nail the parents to the wall, and all of their kids will learn.

Yeah, I still think it's my responsibility to parent my kids. I just don't disagree with what the officer did. I also think the dad is being shortsighted. And you know that kid told everyone at school about it.