PDA

View Full Version : Football Justice Dept. to meet with BCS

Skyy God
06-02-2011, 02:09 PM
It's on.

http://deadspin.com/5807849/the-justice-department-is-very-interested-in-the-bcss-legality

As are we all (fans will take the empire crumbling any way they can get it, but the government probably has more say in that than sports writers.) Bill Hancock will meet with DOJ lawyers sometime this summer for what he's calling a "voluntary background briefing." Basically, they want to know how the BCS operates, and to my hopeful ears, that sounds a lot like they're ramping up their research for the antitrust lawsuit they threatened last month.

Is Hancock worried? Of course not! In fact, he talks a lot about this being an"opportunity:

"We view it as an opportunity to make it clear that the BCS was crafted very carefully with antitrust laws in mind," Hancock said."

[...]

"We take seriously any connection in Washington, and we're certainly taking this seriously," he said. "But I view it as an opportunity, because we're confident that the BCS is on strong legal ground."

You only need the "opportunity" to clear your name if everyone thinks you're doing something wrong in the first place. That aside, Hancock's tune appears to have changed in these past few weeks. His initial response to the DOJ's interest in the BCS:

"Goodness gracious, with all that's going on in the world right now and with national and state budgets being what they are, it seems like a waste of taxpayers' money to have the government looking into how college football games are played."

Running a cartel without any concern for laws or fairness or fans didn't work. Dismissing the government's investigation as frivolous didn't work. Hancock's only remaining strategy is to give the DOJ what they want. And if the BCS is half as awful as everything we've ever heard about it would lead us to believe, opening the books and hoping to forestall a lawsuit won't work either. This is the beginning of the beginning of the end.

Rausch
06-02-2011, 02:13 PM
It's on.

http://deadspin.com/5807849/the-justice-department-is-very-interested-in-the-bcss-legality

As are we all (fans will take the empire crumbling any way they can get it, but the government probably has more say in that than sports writers.) Bill Hancock will meet with DOJ lawyers sometime this summer for what he's calling a "voluntary background briefing." Basically, they want to know how the BCS operates, and to my hopeful ears, that sounds a lot like they're ramping up their research for the antitrust lawsuit they threatened last month.

Is Hancock worried? Of course not! In fact, he talks a lot about this being an"opportunity:

"We view it as an opportunity to make it clear that the BCS was crafted very carefully with antitrust laws in mind," Hancock said."

[...]

"We take seriously any connection in Washington, and we're certainly taking this seriously," he said. "But I view it as an opportunity, because we're confident that the BCS is on strong legal ground."

You only need the "opportunity" to clear your name if everyone thinks you're doing something wrong in the first place. That aside, Hancock's tune appears to have changed in these past few weeks. His initial response to the DOJ's interest in the BCS:

"Goodness gracious, with all that's going on in the world right now and with national and state budgets being what they are, it seems like a waste of taxpayers' money to have the government looking into how college football games are played."

Running a cartel without any concern for laws or fairness or fans didn't work. Dismissing the government's investigation as frivolous didn't work. Hancock's only remaining strategy is to give the DOJ what they want. And if the BCS is half as awful as everything we've ever heard about it would lead us to believe, opening the books and hoping to forestall a lawsuit won't work either. This is the beginning of the beginning of the end.

"You just keep press'n this $#it bidges..."

http://cdn.hellobeautiful.com/files/2009/12/will-smith-hancock.jpg

vailpass
06-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Crap.

Titty Meat
06-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Yay a government ran football system!

bowener
06-02-2011, 02:35 PM

Where do you see that at?

Dave Lane
06-02-2011, 02:35 PM
If it gets us a playoff I don't care if theY send in Gestapo agents to torture them.

Dave Lane
06-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Did you just say that hoping to tap into some anti government zeal on this board, or did you just not comprehend what you read and make that post?

Skyy God
06-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Where do you see that at?

They're doing the same thing with GM, man.

bowener
06-02-2011, 02:45 PM
They're doing the same thing with GM, man.

How so?

Skyy God
06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
How so?

http://www.sarcasmmeter.com/

Skyy God
06-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Interesting take on the issue from SI.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/04/21/bcs-antitrust-suit/index.html

Titty Meat
06-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Did you just say that hoping to tap into some anti government zeal on this board, or did you just not comprehend what you read and make that post?

I didn't even read the link. Theres no reason for the Justice Department to be involved in the BCS.

chasedude
06-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Nothing will happen, it's all show. Another reason to justify the fleecing of taxpayers.

alnorth
06-02-2011, 03:07 PM
I didn't even read the link. Theres no reason for the Justice Department to be involved in the BCS.

yep, no reason at all.

Well, except for that whole multi-billion antitrust-violating illegal cartel thingey.

Titty Meat
06-02-2011, 03:12 PM
yep, no reason at all.

Well, except for that whole multi-billion antitrust-violating illegal cartel thingey.

LMAO Yea Inspector Gadget they're really violating anti-trust laws.

FloridaMan88
06-02-2011, 03:32 PM
An excellent read on the BCS, I'd highly recommend:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51t4uwlffaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

alnorth
06-02-2011, 04:14 PM
LMAO Yea Inspector Gadget they're really violating anti-trust laws.

You act as if that were some wacko idea from left-field you had never heard before. As if, unannounced, from out of the blue, I suddenly blurted out that the feds need to investigate the BCS because they are responsible for the super-strain of E. Coli in Europe and I were completely serious.

Who knows what a court would say, but there's a good legal argument from a whole hell of a lot of people around the country that the BCS is acting illegally. Your dismissiveness is not funny or clever, it simply makes you look ignorant.

CoMoChief
06-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Glad taxpayer dollars are being wasted on something like this.

Meanwhile the economy is getting worse, jobs are disappearing over-seas, we're running out of oil and have no virtual secondary alternative energy source that would meet our demands, and we're in multiple pointless wars around the globe, as well as OPEC and the fed reserve have this country by the fucking nutsack.....

BUT.......

Our govt has to worry about the fucking BCS......pretty much tells everyone in a nutshell about what is wrong w/ this country.

Dave Lane
06-02-2011, 04:28 PM
You act as if that were some wacko idea from left-field you had never heard before. As if, unannounced, from out of the blue, I suddenly blurted out that the feds need to investigate the BCS because they are responsible for the super-strain of E. Coli in Europe and I were completely serious.

Who knows what a court would say, but there's a good legal argument from a whole hell of a lot of people around the country that the BCS is acting illegally. Your dismissiveness is not funny or clever, it simply makes you look ignorant.

That.

Titty Meat
06-02-2011, 04:31 PM

Based on what?

Titty Meat
06-02-2011, 04:32 PM

Meanwhile the economy is getting worse, jobs are disappearing over-seas, we're running out of oil and have no virtual secondary alternative energy source that would meet our demands, and we're in multiple pointless wars around the globe, as well as OPEC and the fed reserve have this country by the ****ing nutsack.....

BUT.......

Our govt has to worry about the ****ing BCS......pretty much tells everyone in a nutshell about what is wrong w/ this country.

Exactly.

chiefzilla1501
06-02-2011, 04:49 PM

Meanwhile the economy is getting worse, jobs are disappearing over-seas, we're running out of oil and have no virtual secondary alternative energy source that would meet our demands, and we're in multiple pointless wars around the globe, as well as OPEC and the fed reserve have this country by the ****ing nutsack.....

BUT.......

Our govt has to worry about the ****ing BCS......pretty much tells everyone in a nutshell about what is wrong w/ this country.

You do realize that the decisions the DOJ makes in this case affect taxpayer-funded schools, right? If I'm Boise State, I'd be mad as hell that the NCAA is arguably doing everything in their power to keep them out of money-making bowl games (and have a shot at a national championship game).

I've largely believed that the NCAA is a nonprofit that is acting against the wrong interests. And I wouldn't be surprised if there was corruption and sweetheart deals, and fat cats making way more money than they should. If they're a nonprofit, truly, then I'd want as many dollars as reasonably possible to be invested back into schools. Which benefits the general public.

The NCAA is clearly creating a system where they are overlooking massive abuse. If the NCAA is a nonprofit meant to develop student athletes, I think there's something massively wrong with them encouraging their students to learn how to cheat.

Here's the most interesting.... DJ's Left Nut brought up a great point that a state school has a shitload to lose from getting a huge penalty. If you punish Ohio State, they're going to lose a shitload of money. Bowl game money, donor money, lower demand for their school, lower demand for merchandising, etc.... When OSU brings less in, that means Ohio taxpayers are getting a lot less bang for the buck... and probably means they'd have to raise tuition or cut scholarships, etc.... So #1, is the system right to punish taxpayers for a coach/player's stupid mistakes? #2, more importantly, given what's at stake for the state of Ohio, should we feel comfortable devastating Ohio State for cheating on infractions almost every school is likely making? Top football programs cheat because they know they HAVE TO to be competitive. Just like steroids in the MLB. It does nothing to nab one. You have to nab them all. That way every team is on an even playing field and they don't have incentive to cheat. Even if all the DOJ wants to do is end corruption and end massive amounts of cheating... how is that not worth America's time?

Dave Lane
06-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Exactly.

I'll give you life rule #1. Anytime you agree with any stand Como Chief is taking, reevaluate your thought, your life, hell even your ancestry.

alnorth
06-02-2011, 06:21 PM

BUT.......

We have antitrust attorneys in the department of justice. They are needed on-staff, they are on the payroll already, and their salaries are being paid no matter what. I doubt the government is deciding to not investigate some other monumentally important antitrust issue instead of this one.

So this whole "the government is wasting their time/money" argument is a dumb one. We also don't lay off everyone in the Forestry service and close the national parks because insert-pet-issue-here is more important. The DOJ has these attorneys, and we're already paying for them. Its either this, investigate some other issue, or sit on their ass doing nothing and playing solitaire on their government computer.

If we are paying them, then I'd rather see OUR employees working and doing their job, which in this case is investigating possible antitrust issues.

Jenson71
06-02-2011, 06:24 PM

BUT.......

Why do you come across as someone who has absolutely no knowledge about how the legal system and government works?

Dave Lane
06-02-2011, 06:37 PM
We have antitrust attorneys in the department of justice. They are needed on-staff, they are on the payroll already, and their salaries are being paid no matter what. I doubt the government is deciding to not investigate some other monumentally important antitrust issue instead of this one.

So this whole "the government is wasting their time/money" argument is a dumb one. We also don't lay off everyone in the Forestry service and close the national parks because insert-pet-issue-here is more important. The DOJ has these attorneys, and we're already paying for them. Its either this, investigate some other issue, or sit on their ass doing nothing and playing solitaire on their government computer.

If we are paying them, then I'd rather see OUR employees working and doing their job, which in this case is investigating possible antitrust issues.

Sorry I can't rep you again yet...

notorious
06-02-2011, 07:50 PM
I'll give you life rule #1. Anytime you agree with any stand Como Chief is taking, reevaluate your thought, your life, hell even your ancestry.

ROFL

This.

BWillie
06-02-2011, 11:00 PM
F*** You DOJ. First poker, now football. Thumbs up your asses. Why don't you do something of value. The BCS must not be that bad at crowning a champion since the SEC champ has won the last 6 freaking years. Must be a pretty good decider of the National Champion don't you think? That is some consistency.

Garcia Bronco
06-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Boise has been getting paid in the BCS. That's a non-argument. Please continue.

alnorth
06-02-2011, 11:10 PM
F*** You DOJ. First poker, now football. Thumbs up your asses. Why don't you do something of value. The BCS must not be that bad at crowning a champion since the SEC champ has won the last 6 freaking years. Must be a pretty good decider of the National Champion don't you think? That is some consistency.

This is easily one of the silliest posts I've seen in a while.

The SEC won the last 6 years, so obviously the BCS works. Since.... you know.... the SEC has a divine right to win a championship.

In regards to poker, the government is retarded and wrong. You cant take that flawed example and presume everything must therefore be peachy in college football since the BCS is being questioned.

BWillie
06-02-2011, 11:14 PM

The SEC won the last 6 years, so obviously the BCS works. Since.... you know.... the SEC has a divine right to win a championship.

In regards to poker, the government is retarded and wrong. You cant take that flawed example and presume everything must therefore be peachy in college football since the BCS is being questioned.

The BCS is awesome. It makes the regular season matter. Only thing different they should do is a plus 1 game after the bowls. Everybody doesn't deserve a medal. At least they don't do what NCAA basketball does and totally water down the regular season so that it basically doesn't matter, and put you in a 68 team free for all that they want to make into 96 teams. Yes, lets let teams that are in the bottom half of their conference play for a National Title! Give me the BCS any day, any time. I guess I'm not on the little guys side. If you don't like it, win. And win for an extended period of time, and then look what happens. You get invited to a real conference like the Pac 10.

BIG_DADDY
06-02-2011, 11:22 PM
The BCS should be taken out back and shot in in the back of the head execution style.

BWillie
06-02-2011, 11:28 PM
The BCS should be taken out back and shot in in the back of the head execution style.

Nope. Great system. It just takes all the fun out of the equation. Crowning the most deserving team isn't about upsets or fun.

alnorth
06-02-2011, 11:36 PM
The BCS is awesome. It makes the regular season matter. Only thing different they should do is a plus 1 game after the bowls. Everybody doesn't deserve a medal. At least they don't do what NCAA basketball does and totally water down the regular season so that it basically doesn't matter, and put you in a 68 team free for all that they want to make into 96 teams. Yes, lets let teams that are in the bottom half of their conference play for a National Title! Give me the BCS any day, any time. I guess I'm not on the little guys side. If you don't like it, win. And win for an extended period of time, and then look what happens. You get invited to a real conference like the Pac 10.

oh. a sarcasm attempt.

It doesn't work comedically unless you go into comedic hyperbole. If you pretend you are a sincere rational opponent, not even in a Colbert sense but in a way that you'd expect a rational BCS-defender to act, then its not really effective sarcasm. Your 2nd and 3rd attempts were better.

BWillie
06-02-2011, 11:39 PM
oh. a sarcasm attempt.

It doesn't work comedically unless you go into comedic hyperbole. If you pretend you are a sincere rational opponent, then its not really effective sarcasm. Your 2nd and 3rd attempts were better.

Nope. I'm serious. Not even sarcasm. I am quite possible the only proponent for the BCS in the entire world. I don't understand why people think a playoff is needed to crown the most deserving team. The best team doesn't always win a one game takes all format. The NBA has it right. Best of 7. But you can't do that in football. The BCS has it right. Come to play every game, the entire year.

SPchief
06-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Nope. I'm serious. Not even sarcasm. I am quite possible the only proponent for the BCS in the entire world. I don't understand why people think a playoff is needed to crown the most deserving team. The best team doesn't always win a one game takes all format. The NBA has it right. Best of 7. But you can't do that in football. The BCS has it right. Come to play every game, the entire year.

Ohio State agrees with this statement.

Titty Meat
06-03-2011, 02:10 AM

Dude do you even watch college football?

suzzer99
06-03-2011, 05:28 AM
The BCS touched me in my swimsuit area!

Garcia Bronco
06-03-2011, 06:14 AM
I don't have a problem with the BCS. I also don't think the government needs to waste any resources on this. Now I would support schools suing the BCS if they think they are wrong, but not the DOJ.

chiefzilla1501
06-03-2011, 06:39 AM

You're assuming that the "best 2" are the best two in the country.

How do you know that Oregon was better than TCU? I understand your point about watering down the system with too many playoff games, but that doesn't hurt the case for just one extra playoff game. The college football season is far too short and 90% of the games most teams play are against garbage competitors.

chiefzilla1501
06-03-2011, 06:46 AM
Boise has been getting paid in the BCS. That's a non-argument. Please continue.

Penn State went 7-6 and played a major opponent (Florida) in the prestigious Sugar Bowl.
Boise State had only one loss all season and played in the prestigious.... "Maaco Bowl"?

The bowl system has given the NCAA authority to decide which state, taxpayer-funded universities get to go to the money-making bowls and which do not, and it has nothing to do with performance. Boise State would have made a shitload more money if they played in the Sugar Bowl. The NCAA has made it brutally obvious that they pretty much resent the idea that these small schools dare play in the big kid's pool. Because these schools don't have the followings to bring in enough money. That's crooked and wrong.

icepick64
06-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Penn State went 7-6 and played a major opponent (Florida) in the prestigious Outback Bowl.Boise State had only one loss all season and played in the prestigious.... "Maaco Bowl"?

The bowl system has given the NCAA authority to decide which state, taxpayer-funded universities get to go to the money-making bowls and which do not, and it has nothing to do with performance. Boise State would have made a shitload more money if they played in the Outback Bowl The NCAA has made it brutally obvious that they pretty much resent the idea that these small schools dare play in the big kid's pool. Because these schools don't have the followings to bring in enough money. That's crooked and wrong.

fyp