PDA

View Full Version : Elections Santorum officially running for President.

|Zach|
06-06-2011, 05:31 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/06/santorum.candidacy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Rick Santorum will make it official Monday.
The former senator from Pennsylvania will formally announce his candidacy for president in Somerset County, near where his grandfather worked in a coal mine after coming to America from Italy.

"This location is significant because when Sen. Santorum's grandfather left fascist Italy, he came to this country for America's freedom and the opportunity our nation afforded him," a source close to the Santorum campaign told CNN last month.

Santorum is arguably the most frequent flyer in the battle for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination. He has made more than a dozen trips to Iowa since 2009. Iowa kicks off the presidential primary and caucus calendar.

In the same period of time, he also made numerous trips to New Hampshire, which holds the first primary, and to South Carolina, the first southern primary state on the road to the White House.

Late last year, Santorum started building up staff in these crucial early voting states.

On May 3, he announced the formation of a presidential exploratory committee, filing papers with the Federal Election Commission. Two days later, he participated in the first GOP presidential debate, in Greenville, South Carolina.

The former two-term senator lost his 2006 re-election bid by 18 points to Democrat Bob Casey Jr. and until last year was largely out of public view except for appearances on Fox News.

Polls over the past year indicate that Santorum registers in the low single digits nationally among Republican voters when it comes to the choice for their party's next presidential nominee.

But, due in part to his strong opposition to abortion rights, Santorum remains popular with many socially conservative voters who have long had an influential role in the GOP primary process.

Earlier this spring, Santorum made headlines by winning a much-watched straw poll at the Greenville County, South Carolina, Republican convention.

Otter
06-06-2011, 06:43 AM
All someone really needs to win is:

"I promise to repeal government mandated health care, look what's Obama's done to the economy and national debt and illegal immigration is out of control".

Obama's not the shoe-in you guys seem to think he his. People are stupid and not happy.

|Zach|
06-06-2011, 06:46 AM

"I promise to repeal government mandated health care, look what's Obama's done to the economy and national debt and illegal immigration is out of control".

Obama's not the shoe-in you guys seem to think he his. People are stupid and not happy.

People aren't stupid.

then...

All someone is going to need to unseat the President is this phrase.
LMAO

|Zach|
06-06-2011, 06:47 AM

Obama's upcoming re-election (just my opinion at this point in time) has little to do with the GOP candidates and even less to do with Obama.

It is the fractured nature of the GOPs voting base. Dragons be there.

mlyonsd
06-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Santorum. Yeah, right.

oldandslow
06-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Santorum. Yeah, right.

'bout as much chance as me becoming President...

I know my fellow dems are gonna scorch me, but Obama has failed in almost every area except one - Bin Laden.

I think there are a bunch of folks out there who are looking for an Eisenhoweresque "grown-up" repub...

Wonder if he or she will show up?

mlyonsd
06-06-2011, 07:23 AM

I know my fellow dems are gonna scorch me, but Obama has failed in almost every area except one - Bin Laden.

I think there are a bunch of folks out there who are looking for an Eisenhoweresque "grown-up" repub...

Can't see one on the horizon.

The best we can hope for is a stalled congress. One that keeps Obama and the dems from doing anymore damage.

Amnorix
06-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Obama's upcoming re-election (just my opinion at this point in time) has little to do with the GOP candidates and even less to do with Obama.

Unemployment at 9.1 currently, or whatever. That's a recipe for administration change.

HonestChieffan
06-06-2011, 08:08 AM

a lot of truth here.

oldandslow
06-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Unemployment at 9.1 currently, or whatever. That's a recipe for administration change.

Would of taken a real leader to have taken the stimulus money and developed some sort of "Picken's Plan" energy policy across the US.

What a waste.

Otter
06-06-2011, 08:53 AM

No doubt.

The thing is, Barry's not looking a whole lot better with almost nothing to show except the health care he forced down the nations throat. Good Lord, he's boasting about Chrysler as his major accomplishment. That's his trump card.

I'm not saying Santorum is going to beat him but he's FAR, FAR from the job security you guys are giving him.

At least that's what I see.

NewChief
06-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Would of taken a real leader to have taken the stimulus money and developed some sort of "Picken's Plan" energy policy across the US.

What a waste.

Yup. He squandered every bit of momentum and energy he had. Whether it's true or not, most people now see him as just more of the same old power elite status quo. Except, of course, the conservatives who see him as the reincarnation of Trotsky or something.

Otter
06-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Yup. He squandered every bit of momentum and energy he had. Whether it's true or not, most people now see him as just more of the same old power elite status quo. Except, of course, the conservatives who see him as the reincarnation of Trotsky or something.

I see him as Black Jimmy Carter.

|Zach|
06-06-2011, 08:59 AM
No doubt.

The thing is, Barry's not looking a whole lot better with almost nothing to show except the health care he forced down the nations throat. Good Lord, he's boasting about Chrysler as his major accomplishment. That's his trump card.

I'm not saying Santorum is going to beat him but he's FAR, FAR from the job security you guys are giving him.

At least that's what I see.

I hear you. I don't have the low opinion on Obama you or NewChief does but I don't pretend he is in a place of strength. I am in the "Obama isn't as good as some think he is or as bad as some think he is" boat. However, it is just amazing looking over the field the dynamics that have been created by voters on the right.

oldandslow
06-06-2011, 09:25 AM
I see him as Black Jimmy Carter.

I don't. Jimmy Carter attempted, in his malaise speech, to set a new course of conservation across the nation. He understood how we crave sucking at OPEC's teat. And he knew we needed to do something about it.

His military, acumen, however was terrible. From reading what has been written about him, he could not keep from getting into the Foregin Policy and military sandbox with the Generals and Spies rather than letting the Generals and Spies do their jobs. Thus we get Iran. And failed Iranian hostage rescue missions.

Obama doesn't have that problem.

BO isn't going to figure out the energy/economy relationship tho, imo.

Cave Johnson
06-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Godspeed, anal froth.

gblowfish
06-06-2011, 10:04 AM
He's frothy!!!

vailpass
06-06-2011, 10:36 AM

X2 (and Bin Laden fell in his lap).