PDA

View Full Version : Education More SWAT team action - this time student loans...

oldandslow
06-08-2011, 09:24 AM
STOCKTON, CA - Kenneth Wright does not have a criminal record and he had no reason to believe a S.W.A.T team would be breaking down his door at 6 a.m. on Tuesday.

"I look out of my window and I see 15 police officers," Wright said.

Wright came downstairs in his boxer shorts as a S.W.A.T team barged through his front door. Wright said an officer grabbed him by the neck and led him outside on his front lawn.

"He had his knee on my back and I had no idea why they were there," Wright said.

According to Wright, officers also woke his three young children ages 3, 7, and 11 and put them in a Stockton police patrol car with him. Officers then searched his house.

As it turned out, the person law enforcement was looking for was not there - Wright's estranged wife.

"They put me in handcuffs in that hot patrol car for six hours, traumatizing my kids," Wright said.

Wright said he later went to the mayor and Stockton Police Department, but the City of Stockton had nothing to do with Wright's search warrant.

The U.S. Department of Education issued the search and called in the S.W.A.T for his wife's defaulted student loans.

"They busted down my door for this," Wright said. "It wasn't even me."

According to the Department of Education's Office of the Inspector General, the case can't be discussed publicly until it is closed, but a spokesperson did confirm that the department did issue the search warrant at Wright's home.

The Office of the Inspector General has a law enforcement branch of federal agents that carry out search warrants and investigations.

Stockton Police Department said it was asked by federal agents to provide one officer and one patrol car just for a police presence when carrying out the search warrant.

Stockton police did not participate in breaking Wright's door, handcuffing him, or searching his home.

"All I want is an apology for me and my kids and for them to get me a new door," Wright said.

Simplex3
06-08-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm sure banyon will be along to explain how this isn't excessive and how being a cop is hard.

go bowe
06-08-2011, 09:31 AM
where's big daddy?

he will eat this shit up, i mean UP!

go bowe
06-08-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm sure banyon will be along to explain how this isn't excessive and how being a cop is hard.

what in hell did they think they would find with a search warrant?

a hidden stash of loan payments she never made?

this is nuts...

Cave Johnson
06-08-2011, 09:42 AM
what in hell did they think they would find with a search warrant?

a hidden stash of loan payments she never made?

this is nuts...

Gotta handcuff the guy, otherwise he might flush all the money.

RNR
06-08-2011, 09:42 AM
I will say this he is alive and that most likely has something to do with him not grabbing an assault rifle~

go bowe
06-08-2011, 09:46 AM
I will say this he is alive and that most likely has something to do with him not grabbing an assault rifle~

good point...

notorious
06-08-2011, 09:47 AM
JFC how much does she owe?

go bowe
06-08-2011, 09:52 AM
JFC how much does she owe?

probably a hundred dollars or so...

if it was more than that, they would have shot them all...

Simplex3
06-08-2011, 09:58 AM

We should all be glad none of the kids went bolting out of their rooms and scared one of the cops into unloading a clip into them.

Jaric
06-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Student fucking loans?

There had better be more to this.

Rooster
06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Student ****ing loans?

There had better be more to this.

Sallie Mae is one mean bitch.

Jaric
06-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Sallie Mae is one mean bitch.

Apparently we take our indentured servitude seriously in this country.

notorious
06-08-2011, 10:09 AM
probably a hundred dollars or so...

if it was more than that, they would have shot them all...

There are very few things I can think of that are worse then defaulting on a student loan.

Murder - Proably

Rape - About the same

Manufacturing Meth - Not even close

notorious
06-08-2011, 10:11 AM
We should all be glad none of the kids went bolting out of their rooms and scared one of the cops into unloading a clip into them.

Or if one of them was playing with a plastic cap gun. They would have filled that little guy full of lead.

Rooster
06-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Apparently we take our indentured servitude seriously in this country.

:LOL: Well we have certainly taken it up a notch.

Detoxing
06-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Fuck. I still owe 2K on my student loan.

I'm kinda scared to step foot outside my house now. I thought something was suspicious about that van that parks down my street.

Come to think of it, there is a bum that goes through my trash can every morning. I bet he isn't a "bum" at all......

RNR
06-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Not defending just making an observation as the thread is (Another SWAT...)

notorious
06-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Come to think of it, there is a bum that goes through my trash can every morning. I bet he isn't a "bum" at all......

Na, it's just _________(insert CP member name here).

KC native
06-08-2011, 10:21 AM
So, anyone still on the side of militarizing our police even more?

Saul Good
06-08-2011, 10:24 AM
STOCKTON, CA - Kenneth Wright does not have a criminal record and he had no reason to believe a S.W.A.T team would be breaking down his door at 6 a.m. on Tuesday.

Wright came downstairs in his boxer shorts as a S.W.A.T team barged through his front door. Wright said an officer grabbed him by the neck and led him outside on his front lawn.

"He had his knee on my back and I had no idea why they were there," Wright said.

According to Wright, officers also woke his three young children ages 3, 7, and 11 and put them in a Stockton police patrol car with him. Officers then searched his house.

As it turned out, the person law enforcement was looking for was not there - Wright's estranged wife.

"They put me in handcuffs in that hot patrol car for six hours, traumatizing my kids," Wright said.

Wright said he later went to the mayor and Stockton Police Department, but the City of Stockton had nothing to do with Wright's search warrant.

The U.S. Department of Education issued the search and called in the S.W.A.T for his wife's defaulted student loans.

"They busted down my door for this," Wright said. "It wasn't even me."

According to the Department of Education's Office of the Inspector General, the case can't be discussed publicly until it is closed, but a spokesperson did confirm that the department did issue the search warrant at Wright's home.

The Office of the Inspector General has a law enforcement branch of federal agents that carry out search warrants and investigations.

Stockton Police Department said it was asked by federal agents to provide one officer and one patrol car just for a police presence when carrying out the search warrant.

Stockton police did not participate in breaking Wright's door, handcuffing him, or searching his home.

"All I want is an apology for me and my kids and for them to get me a new door," Wright said.

Something doesn't pass the smell test here. I believe that a LOT of info is missing.

Detoxing
06-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Something doesn't pass the smell test here. I believe that a LOT of info is missing.

I'm sure there is Some info missing, but really, does it matter?

The fucking swat team for a loan, let alone a student loan? C'mon.

Simplex3
06-08-2011, 10:31 AM
http://bcove.me/tbq1yqhz

Saul Good
06-08-2011, 10:33 AM

The ****ing swat team for a loan, let alone a student loan? C'mon.

I have no idea whether or not it matters, as I don't know what info is missing. If she sent pipe bombs to the student loan collections department, it may be warranted. If she is part of a massive student loan fraud ring, it may be warranted.

I tend to doubt that she forgot to date her. Signature on a hardship deferral form thus prompting the raid, but that's just me.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Oh I didn't see this thread posted before I mentioned it in another thread. Its' getting worse. Look what's already happened to some British cruise line of elderly passengers when they questioned a security check at a US port, after they cleared other US ports.

The police state is growing under Obama not lessening.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2011, 10:46 AM
I have no idea whether or not it matters, as I don't know what info is missing. If she sent pipe bombs to the student loan collections department, it may be warranted. If she is part of a massive student loan fraud ring, it may be warranted.

I tend to doubt that she forgot to date her. Signature on a hardship deferral form thus prompting the raid, but that's just me.

Unbelievable thinking imo. Student loan fraud ring? Any reports of that going on anywhere? Even if so, it doesn't mean such a crook is a violent threat. The police are becoming increasingly militarized and this is the type of abused it will lead to.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Yes it does matter.

Saul Good
06-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Unbelievable thinking imo. Student loan fraud ring? Any reports of that going on anywhere? Even if so, it doesn't mean such a crook is a violent threat. The police are becoming increasingly militarized and this is the type of abused it will lead to.

There are no reports of this. I was throwing out wild hypotheticals. That's all you can do when presented with such a slanted version of the events. The rest of the posters just wanted to join some feeding frenzy as if the SWAT team gets sent out to act as a collection agency.

Detoxing
06-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Yes it does matter.

They called SWAT because the woman defaulted on her student loan. That's all i need to know.

unless she is somehow stealing money (in which case she wouldn't be served papers regarding her default so that doesn't appear to be the case), there isn't any pertinent information that would change how ridiculous this is.

BucEyedPea
There are no reports of this. I was throwing out wild hypotheticals. That's all you can do when presented with such a slanted version of the events. The rest of the posters just wanted to join some feeding frenzy as if the SWAT team gets sent out to act as a collection agency.

I am aware these were hypothetical. However, we also don't know if it's slanted yet either.

durtyrute
Damn another fucked up cop story. Are they putting all of these out there to have us worry about a Police State, or are we actually heading for one.

ROYC75
06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
I guess this just might scare the crap out of a lot of students who graduated or keep some away from a college education ? Got to school, can't find work, go to jail, get arrested,humiliated, etc.

What a career to look forward to .

BucEyedPea
06-08-2011, 10:58 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8559732/Cruise-passengers-tell-of-seven-hour-security-revenge-nightmare.html

Saul Good
06-08-2011, 11:02 AM
They called SWAT because the woman defaulted on her student loan. That's all i need to know.

unless she is somehow stealing money (in which case she wouldn't be served papers regarding her default so that doesn't appear to be the case), there isn't any pertinent information that would change how ridiculous this is.

You've convinced me. An unsourced, unsubstantiated, one-sided story posted on the internet has convinced me that the SWAT team was sent out to act like a loan shark collecting from a deadbeat.

vailpass
06-08-2011, 11:04 AM
SWAT breaking down your door for student loans?
I'm sure there is nothing more to this story.

*edit* looks like this comment has already been made.
OldandSlow is a respected poster here, I'm surprised he didn't include a cite.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2011, 11:08 AM
SWAT breaking down your door for student loans?
I'm sure there is nothing more to this story.

*edit* looks like this comment has already been made.

It was Obama's Dept of Education that ordered it—not local govt. This says a lot about Obama's DoE and Justice though. Commies have Mafia-style collection tactics worse than any collection agency.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2011, 11:09 AM
You've convinced me. An unsourced, unsubstantiated, one-sided story posted on the internet has convinced me that the SWAT team was sent out to act like a loan shark collecting from a deadbeat.

These loans are corrupt corporate-state deals. I just went to check the link and the story was taken down. I suspect the cover-up will be worse than the crime.

BucEyedPea
06-08-2011, 11:13 AM
If you google the story it's still up on other news sites. And the News10 video is still up.

<object id="flashObj" width="486" height="412" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=982309687001&playerID=35146384001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAACC1lKhk~,ZvV6UsgbjjbyRIyjCwZ1LlCJagPsiGNo&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=982309687001&playerID=35146384001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAACC1lKhk~,ZvV6UsgbjjbyRIyjCwZ1LlCJagPsiGNo&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

notorious
06-08-2011, 11:18 AM
She was paying off her loan in large sums of cash. Everyone knows that it is impossible to acquire large sums of cash without doing something illegal.

Guilty until proven innocent. Their action were completely warranted.

Donger
06-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Are people just upset that this was SWAT (allegedly) executing this legal search, or just that there was a legal search?

ForeverChiefs58
06-08-2011, 11:31 AM
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s6Va1zDhEQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A woman who says her front teeth were broken in a confrontation with an officer in February will sue the Orlando Police Department, her attorney officially confirmed.

In a notice dated Wednesday, Lisa Wareham's attorney Andrew Zelman alleges that Officer Livio Beccaccio committed "unwarranted and unlawful aggravated battery" in the incident.

"Ms. Wareham is a 5' tall 100lb female who had committed no crime, and posed no threat to Officer Beccaccio," the letter states. It also accuses Beccaccio of trying to cover up the incident.

Beccaccio, Zelman writes, "engaged in an apparent scheme to create a façade of legitimacy for his unlawful assault by falsely arresting Ms. Wareham," accusing the woman of battering him.

The notice, addressed to Orlando's police chief and mayor and the state's Department of Financial Services, was sent to the agencies Wednesday, Zelman said.

Orlando police spokeswoman Lt. Barbara Jones said it would be "inappropriate" to comment on pending litigation. The agency is reviewing the incident.

The pending lawsuit stems from a Feb. 25 exchange between Beccaccio, 38, and Wareham, now 20, and a group of others near the intersection of East Central Boulevard and Magnolia Avenue.

City-owned surveillance cameras recorded the incident. In the video, Wareham is shown standing on the corner in a black dress surrounded by several others.

Officers on foot and on bicycles arrive at the corner and begin directing people to sit down and move apart. Beccaccio pushes a man with dreadlocks, and he stumbles backward onto Wareham.

Beccaccio then directs Wareham away from the crowd. Seconds later, Beccaccio grabs Wareham by the arm and shoves her into the street using an "arm bar" technique.

She tumbled to the pavement and arose holding her mouth, the video shows. Wareham was arrested after dialing 911 to complain that she had been injured.

In his report, Beccaccio wrote he "pushed Wareham back… to both create distance from her and I, and to prevent her from attacking [the other man]. Wareham stumbled forward and fell to the pavement."

Wareham initially faced three charges, including felony battery on a law-enforcement officer, but the charges have since been dropped, records show.

Wareham's attorney has said he wants Beccaccio fired and the agency's use-of-force policy reviewed. In the notice, he writes that his client suffered irreparable nerve damage in the incident.

Having already undergone a root canal, "she will ultimately require further significant, painful, and costly dental reconstruction procedures," he writes, and may have life-long complications.

Wareham's isn't the only lawsuit brought against Orlando police recently involving the takedown techniques officers use. Daniel Daley, 85, is also suing the city, in connection with a Sept. 18 incident.

Daley's neck was broken when an Orlando officer performed a takedown on him in a parking lot on North Orange Avenue. The officer claimed Daley was belligerent, and had tried to punch him.

Daley's attorney has described the takedown as excessive and unprovoked. An internal review determined the force used was "within department guidelines."

orange
06-08-2011, 11:50 AM
These loans are corrupt corporate-state deals. I just went to check the link and the story was taken down. I suspect the cover-up will be worse than the crime.

If you google the story it's still up on other news sites. And the News10 video is still up.

The only source for this was the news10.net story. These "other news sites" just quoted them. And your video is just a blank box - maybe just a bad link or maybe they took down the video, too.

By "cover-up" do you mean the revised story where they actually read the warrant, report the suspect's name and allegations, or get some sort of second witness or verification for any single "fact" claimed by the aggrieved guy?

[edit] Or maybe the "cover-up" will include wiping out the incredible web of deceit linking the Dept. of Education, Stockton Police Dept., and the Orlando PD.

Bowser
06-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Are people just upset that this was SWAT (allegedly) executing this legal search, or just that there was a legal search?

The search itself seemed a bit excessive, if it were only for unpaid student loans, and I don't believe that for a second. We don't have enough SWAT teams or National Guardsmen to conduct searches on people that are either late or have defaulted on their loans. Something is missing from the story.

oldandslow
06-08-2011, 11:59 AM
The only source for this was the news10.net story. These "other news sites" just quoted them. And your video is just a blank box - maybe just a bad link or maybe they took down the video, too.

By "cover-up" do you mean the revised story where they actually read the warrant, report the suspect's name and allegations, or get some sort of second witness or verification for any single "fact" claimed by the aggrieved guy?

[edit] Or maybe the "cover-up" will include wiping out the incredible web of deceit linking the Dept. of Education, Stockton Police Dept., and the Orlando PD.

Don't know about any cover-up. I should have posted the original link. It was

http://www.news10.net/news/article/141072/2/Dept-of-Education-breaks-dow...

It has been taken down now, so I don't know what is going on.

Here is another link to the story

http://reason.com/blog/2011/06/08/no-really-swat-team-raids-hous

No Really: SWAT Team Raids House at 6 AM and Handcuffs Father of Three Young Kids to Execute a Dept. of Education Search Warrant for Estranged Wife's Defaulted Student Loans
Matt Welch | June 8, 2011

I know Mike Riggs just mentioned it in the morning links, but if this story isn't a wake-up call about the militarization of police and criminalization of everything, then I'm afraid the patient is even deader than the Fourth Amendment. Read this, and weep for what your country has become:

"They put me in handcuffs in that hot patrol car for six hours, traumatizing my kids," Wright said. [...]

If you're not a subscriber to Reason, please A) subscribe, then B) go down to the corner newsstand or chain bookstore and pick up a copy of our special July issue on the shameful criminal justice system in this country. A Department of Education that's issuing search warrants is a Department of Education that deserves to be disbanded. A judge that approves a paramilitary-style dawn raid for a student loan search warrant is a judge that deserves to be disbarred. The police chief who authorized this use of force should be canned as well. These are just the preliminary steps that should (and won't) be taken in the wake of this latest demonstration of government brutality.

Saul Good
06-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Don't know about any cover-up. I should have posted the original link. It was

http://www.news10.net/news/article/141072/2/Dept-of-Education-breaks-dow...

It has been taken down now, so I don't know what is going on.

It's either being covered-up or exposed as shoddy journalism. I wonder which it could be. Do people just not have bullshit detectors anymore?

HonestChieffan
06-08-2011, 12:52 PM

Ya think?...

notorious
06-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Do people just not have bullshit detectors anymore?

Yes, and it goes off the chart when I click on the DC Forum link.

Hydrae
06-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Education Department says it doesn’t send SWAT teams after loan defaulters
By Liz Goodwin

A Stockton, Calif., man says a SWAT team broke his door and dragged him out of his house during an unexpected 6 a.m. raid targeting his estranged ex-wife.

Kenneth Wright, who has no criminal record, told ABC News 10 he complained to the local cops about the raid. But according to Wright, the Stockton police denied ordering the raid, saying instead it was the handiwork of the federal Department of Education.

Wright told the station that the Education Department was after unpaid federal loans owed by his ex-wife. "They busted my door for this," Wright says. The claim has been repeated by numerous news outlets who picked up the story, including Fox News, The Huffington Post, and Gawker. (UPDATE: The station has replaced the story with a newer version that does not make the claim the raid was for late loan payments.)

But Education Department Press Secretary Justin Hamilton said in a statement to The Lookout that the department "does not execute search warrants for late loan payments." He said the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) "conducts about 30-35 search warrants a year on issues such as bribery, fraud, and embezzlement of federal student aid funds." Hamilton said the department cannot comment on this particular case until the investigation is over, but did add that the claim the warrant was executed for late loan payment is untrue. The raid was related to a criminal investigation of Wright's wife.

The OIG lists some of its recent investigations on its website, including the case of a Boston man who was sent to prison last month for lying on a federal student aid form.

About 8.9 percent of all federal loan recipients (about 330,000 people) defaulted between 2008 and 2010, the highest percentage in more than a decade. Unlike students who have some types of private student loans, borrowers with federal loans can't declare bankruptcy as a way to get out of repayment, no matter how dire their financial situation.

Still, Wright was not the subject of the agency's investigation, and he is demanding an apology for being treated like a criminal in his own home. He animatedly explains in this video that he was handcuffed while still in his underwear and was made to wait in a police car for several hours with his three young children while the 15 law enforcement officers searched his house.

Wright says he wants an apology and for the Department of Education to fix his door. "Please pay your bills, take care of your credit," he says. "If you don't believe me, this could be you one morning, 6 o'clock in the morning."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110608/us_yblog_thelookout/education-department-says-it-doesnt-send-swat-teams-after-loan-defaulters

Garcia Bronco
06-08-2011, 02:19 PM
I work with the DOEducation and they do have agents that investigate various things from 5C Security clearances to defaulted loans and other criminal activity. I am very, very disappointed in the actions of the department of education..

Garcia Bronco
06-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Oh and they weren't there to collect the money...they were there to arrest someone for commiting a crime...which hardly required a SWAT team.

banyon
06-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Being a cop is hard, and I'll defend stuff that's defensible, but this doesn't seem to be.

It doesn't appear that they were looking for unpaid loans, but it doesn't seem like a situation that called for swat either.

Bump
06-08-2011, 10:12 PM
there needs to be another civil war

KILLER_CLOWN
06-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I will say this he is alive and that most likely has something to do with him not being awoken by possible home invaders and doing what anyone SHOULD be willing to do to protect his family, by grabbing an assault rifle~

FYP!

BigMeatballDave
06-08-2011, 10:58 PM
This is a Fucking travesty. Heads should roll. I would sue.

KILLER_CLOWN
06-08-2011, 11:03 PM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JU_MpXRD2-E&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JU_MpXRD2-E&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

BigMeatballDave
06-08-2011, 11:21 PM
DoE are a bunch of pussys.

banyon
06-09-2011, 09:25 AM
This is a ****ing travesty. Heads should roll. I would sue.

Doesn't sound like there is much in the way of damages to base a suit on.

Then again, they are in California.

boogblaster
06-09-2011, 09:37 AM
f'n feds .. i hate em all .. start'n with the oval-office down ....