PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Senior Gingrich 2012 aides resign en masse

Mr. Laz
06-09-2011, 01:15 PM
AP: Senior Gingrich 2012 aides resign en masse

Spokesman Rick Tyler, campaign manager Rob Johnson cut ties with campaign

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/reuters/2011-05-19t233542z_01_btre74i1tjr00_rtroptp_3_usa-campaign-gingrich.grid-6x2.jpg
Jason Reed / REUTERS Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich attends the 51st Washington Conference with Laffer Associates in Washington May 13, 2011.

msnbc.com staff and news service reports
updated

BREAKING NEWS
WASHINGTON (http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where1=WASHINGTON&sty=h) — Newt Gingrich's campaign manager and numerous other key aides have resigned together, a strong blow to his hopes for the Republican presidential nomination.
Gingrich press spokesman Rick Tyler told The Associated Press that he's resigned along with campaign manager Rob Johnson, senior strategists and aides in key early primary states.
Gingrich’s 20012 campaign has not been without its bumps. Confusion resulted when he offered only a brief announcement of a his new website during an exploratory committee announcement in March.
News coverage of his formal announcement in May was largely overshadowed by his appearance on NBC’s Meet the Press, when he dismissed a GOP proposal to overhaul Medicare as “right wing social engineering.”
He has battled questions about his personal life, most recently a POLITICO report revealing a high-dollar credit account with Tiffany’s luxury jewelry store.
Gingrich was also ridiculed in the press for taking a lengthy vacation with his wife just a few weeks after he formally launched his campaign.
Please check back for updates to this breaking story.
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

|Zach|
06-09-2011, 01:21 PM
lol.

dirk digler
06-09-2011, 01:28 PM
What a loser.

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 01:33 PM
That was quick.

ChiTown
06-09-2011, 01:34 PM
That was quick.

and predictable. This guy had no business trying to be a serious candidate.

orange
06-09-2011, 01:41 PM
http://sloone.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/index_ship.jpg

dirk digler
06-09-2011, 01:47 PM
First patteeu lost Mad Crapper now Gingrich. If you need a shoulder to cry on I am here for you.

cdcox
06-09-2011, 01:53 PM
So passes Denethor, son of Ecthelion.

orange
06-09-2011, 02:06 PM
So passes Denethor, son of Ecthelion.

More like Gríma, son of Gálmód.

cdcox
06-09-2011, 02:11 PM

I'm running with the setting one's self on fire and running off the end of the cliff angle.

vailpass
06-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Someone get me the nerd translator, I want to see if this is funny or not.

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 02:20 PM
He's still staying in the race for now and will be in the debate Monday.

alnorth
06-09-2011, 02:21 PM
This tells me that Rick Perry is in. It certainly doesn't hurt that Gingrich stumbled out of the gate, but this has more to do with the Texas Governor than with Gingrich.

Last year two of Perry's closest political operatives (Rob Johnson and David Carney), who have been with him their whole career, asked Perry if he was running and he said no. They asked him if he was absolutely sure he wasn't running, and he said yes. They asked him if he was really, really, 100% positive because they were about to go to Gingrich, and he said I'm out, so go for it. They signed on to be 2 of the top guys in Gingrich's campaign.

Recently, Rick Perry began sending out feelers that, since there was such a black hole in the GOP field, Obama looked so vulnerable, and he saw himself so uniquely positioned to run after all, that he was possibly changing his mind, but people in Texas were saying he wouldn't do it unless he got his boys back from Gingrich.

Now today, Gingrich's staff resigned. I'm thinking Perry made some phone calls to let the Gingrich campaign know he was in and willing to hire on the whole lot of them.

orange
06-09-2011, 02:21 PM

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm107177049/cultural-literacy-e-d-hirsch-audio-cover-art.jpg
Cultural Literacy
It's not just for six-year-olds anymore

AndChiefs
06-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Let's see...he's calling him a traitor serving the enemy who is whispering falsehoods in the leader's ear and trying to make him feel like there is no hope for the future. Don't worry though, eventually he'll kill one of the top bad guys by stabbing him in the back.

ChiTown
06-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Lord of the Rings reference.......and no, it's not.

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 02:28 PM
The National Review is reporting that his staffers are going to join Rick Perry. How many candidates would that be?

RNR
06-09-2011, 02:30 PM
http://i43.tower.com/images/mm107177049/cultural-literacy-e-d-hirsch-audio-cover-art.jpg
Cultural Literacy
It's not just for six-year-olds anymore

Being proficient in knowledge about the Lord of the Rings passes off for cultural literacy? Quick someone PM gochiefs so we can get a Star Wars character comparison~

orange
06-09-2011, 02:30 PM
... eventually he'll kill one of the top bad guys by stabbing him in the back.

"Been there." - Paul Ryan

alnorth
06-09-2011, 02:33 PM
This tells me that Rick Perry is in. It certainly doesn't hurt that Gingrich stumbled out of the gate, but this has more to do with the Texas Governor than with Gingrich.

Last year two of Perry's closest political operatives (Rob Johnson and David Carney), who have been with him their whole career, asked Perry if he was running and he said no. They asked him if he was absolutely sure he wasn't running, and he said yes. They asked him if he was really, really, 100% positive because they were about to go to Gingrich, and he said I'm out, so go for it. They signed on to be 2 of the top guys in Gingrich's campaign.

Recently, Rick Perry began sending out feelers that, since there was such a black hole in the GOP field, Obama looked so vulnerable, and he saw himself so uniquely positioned to run after all, that he was possibly changing his mind, but people in Texas were saying he wouldn't do it unless he got his boys back from Gingrich.

Now today, Gingrich's staff resigned. I'm thinking Perry made some phone calls to let the Gingrich campaign know he was in and willing to hire on the whole lot of them.

That didn't take long, CBS is already all over this angle. Gingrich's staff, after putting up with their problems this long, didn't just wake up this morning and abruptly change their mind. They had to have gotten the call from Rick Perry.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504564_162-20070377-504564.html

orange
06-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Being proficient in knowledge about the Lord of the Rings passes off for cultural literacy? Quick someone PM gochiefs so we can get a Star Wars character comparison~

List of best-selling single-volume books
More than 100 million copies

Book Author(s) Original language First published Approximate sales

A Tale of Two Cities Charles Dickens English 1859 over 200 million[1]
The Lord of the Rings J. R. R. Tolkien English 1954–1955 150 million[2]
The Hobbit J. R. R. Tolkien English 1937 over 100 million[3]
红楼梦 (Dream of the Red Chamber) Cao Xueqin Chinese 1759-1791 over 100 million [4]
And Then There Were None Agatha Christie English 1939 100 million[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

Sorry you feel left out.

dirk digler
06-09-2011, 02:39 PM
That didn't take long, CBS is already all over this angle. Gingrich's staff, after putting up with their problems this long, didn't just wake up this morning and abruptly change their mind. They had to have gotten the call from Rick Perry.

Possible but right now sources are saying Perry isn't going to run. He hasn't done any of the leg work to start a campaign. I guess we will see but it looks like everybody quit because Newt is an awful candidate who didn't act like he gave a shit.

I am thinking that he started to feel this way after all the revelations about his personal finances started to come out.

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 02:43 PM

Good god this many candidates you'd have to think this baby goes down to the convention right?

RNR
06-09-2011, 02:43 PM
List of best-selling single-volume books
More than 100 million copies

Book Author(s) Original language First published Approximate sales

A Tale of Two Cities Charles Dickens English 1859 over 200 million[1]
The Lord of the Rings J. R. R. Tolkien English 1954–1955 150 million[2]
The Hobbit J. R. R. Tolkien English 1937 over 100 million[3]
红楼梦 (Dream of the Red Chamber) Cao Xueqin Chinese 1759-1791 over 100 million [4]
And Then There Were None Agatha Christie English 1939 100 million[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

Sorry you feel left out.

I do not and I read the Hobbit back in the late 70s Something happened...what was it...oh yeah thats right I quit smoking weed and grew up~

HonestChieffan
06-09-2011, 02:44 PM

Interesting theory. Gingrich was a wounded duck from the get go. But, he is no fool and he does have a keen political understanding. Anyone who fails to recognize him as a very smart guy is just foolish. Was he electable, likely not but don't underestimate the mains smarts.

DJ's left nut
06-09-2011, 02:44 PM

Damn...nicely done, Al.

I'm glad to hear it. I like Perry (he strikes me as a less reactionary Pawlenty).

DJ's left nut
06-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Possible but right now sources are saying Perry isn't going to run. He hasn't done any of the leg work to start a campaign. I guess we will see but it looks like everybody quit because Newt is an awful candidate who didn't act like he gave a shit.

I am thinking that he started to feel this way after all the revelations about his personal finances started to come out.

I hope he doesn't run a Fred Thompson campaign...

"I'm not going to run, I'm not going to run, I'm not going to run...okay I'll run"

"Wait...y'all want me to do work!?!? Well fuck that, i thought I just had to say that I'll run and whammo - President. Nevermind"

orange
06-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I do not and I read the Hobbit back in the late 70s Something happened...what was it...oh yeah thats right I quit smoking weed and grew up~

And forgot everything you ever learned, right? :hmmm:

p.s. "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

HonestChieffan
06-09-2011, 02:54 PM

Even an old conservative redneck like me would encourage you to re read the Hobbit and the Trilogy. Incredible stuff that. Precious actually...hisssssssss

alnorth
06-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Those sources are ancient history. (ie anything over a month old) The entire political world from Politico to curious folks across the pond in the UK are saying this must mean Perry is in. Now, maybe we'll all be shocked and he stays out, but its not likely now.

I've been following this closely because I've wanted Perry to jump in for months. A couple weeks ago Perry finally said he'd think about it, and the insiders basically said to watch Gingrich's campaign for a sign. Soon as I saw the story I clicked over to this board to say Perry must be in.

As for being late, everyone's basically late anyway, and Perry allies have been telling doners and people in early states to stay on the sideline just a little longer.

RNR
06-09-2011, 02:56 PM

p.s. "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Sorry my wise friend I did not capture the life lessons you did. I guess I got caught up in that working and raising a family preparing them for life thing. My daughter is working on her Masters and my son is a former Airborne Ranger studying to be an electrical engineer. Dang if I would have just read a few more books in that series they might have amounted to something~

orange
06-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Sorry my wise friend I did not capture the life lessons you did. I guess I got caught up in that working and raising a family preparing them for life thing. My daughter is working on her Masters and my son is a former Airborne Ranger studying to be an electrical engineer. Dang if I would have just read a few more books in that series they might have amounted to something~

It must have been a rugged life there in the monastary, with no fiction or entertainment of any kind. But I didn't know they let you have kids. I learn something every day.

vailpass
06-09-2011, 03:06 PM
[CENTERCultural Literacy
It's not just for six-year-olds anymore[/CENTER]

You wouldn't last 10 minutes out in public would you?

RNR
06-09-2011, 03:07 PM
It must have been a rugged life there in the monastary, with no fiction or entertainment of any kind. But I didn't know they let you have kids. I learn something every day.

:rolleyes: libbies live in a fiction world~

vailpass
06-09-2011, 03:09 PM

It is one thing to have read the Hobbitt as a kid. It is quite another to quote them as a full grown man. You are certainly free to do so but you must expect to be laughed at when you do so, at least outside of the dungeon environs.

orange
06-09-2011, 03:14 PM
It is one thing to have read the Hobbitt as a kid. It is quite another to quote them as a full grown man. You are certainly free to do so but you must expect to be laughed at when you do so, at least outside of the dungeon environs.

Even an old conservative redneck like me would encourage you to re read the Hobbit and the Trilogy. Incredible stuff that. Precious actually...hisssssssss

:thumb:

And of course, there is the spectacular video trilogy for those of you can't read.

I suppose I could have referenced Caddy Shack and been on firm ground around here, but that really wouldn't have had much to do with cdcox' quote.

vailpass
06-09-2011, 03:18 PM

:thumb:

And of course, there is the spectacular video trilogy for those of you can't read.

I suppose I could have referenced Caddy Shack and been on firm ground around here, but that really wouldn't have had much to do with cdcox' quote.

Yes because laughing at a grown man quoting the hobbit= a lack of sophistication.

We've all read it. Some of us weren't part of the nerd clique that used it as a shield to protect us from adolescence. Some of us would never think to quote it in an adult conversation. Some of us get laid.

RNR
06-09-2011, 03:19 PM
Yes because laughing at a grown man quoting the hobbit= a lack of sophistication.

We've all read it. Some of us weren't part of the nerd clique that used it as a shield to protect us from adolescence. Some of us would never think to quote it in an adult conversation. Some of us get laid.

LMAO

FD
06-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Perry? Seems hard to believe, although I'm sure he can convince himself he has a chance. I don't think he would even win his home state.

orange
06-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Some of us get laid.

And one of you thinks he's the only person who's ever gotten laid.

p.s. And one of you races right past the other folks in the thread who know Tolkien - including conservatives - to rail about me. Your obsession with me is really rather cute, in a sick and stalking-like way.

alnorth
06-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Perry? Seems hard to believe, although I'm sure he can convince himself he has a chance. I don't think he would even win his home state.

The path seems clear to me. Current polls reflect the belief he's not in. He would immediately brush aside Pawlenty and squash Palin/Bachmann like bugs to grab the Tea Party banner. (however you define Tea party these days)

Now, maybe he wouldn't beat Romney, but I wouldn't say he has no chance. Talk radio has been talking Perry up as their best hope for weeks now, whipping their audience into a frenzy.

Another good article today: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/06/09/will_newt_gingrichs_demise_be_rick_perrys_rise_110152.html

As a prominent Texan with a longtime political infrastructure, not to mention a key finance perch atop the Republican Governors Association, Perry could gear up for a race more quickly than most of the top GOP politicians eyeing a 2012 run.

Though he is widely regarded as the first nationally known politician to embrace the tea party movement with open arms, Perry could also be well-positioned to generate sufficient backing among members of the Republican establishment.

Perry is said to have a solid relationship with his predecessor at the RGA, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, who declined to run for president himself.

And in an election that is almost certain to hinge on the economy, Perry is well-positioned to tout his record on creating jobs and keeping taxes low.

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 03:29 PM
How does Perry grab the Tea Party? If I recall he was pretty hated by the likes in Texas.

vailpass
06-09-2011, 03:29 PM
And one of you thinks he's the only person who's ever gotten laid.

p.s. And one of you races right past the other folks in the thread who know Tolkien - including conservatives - to rail about me. Your obsession with me is really rather cute, in a sick and stalking-like way.

*If I close my eyes real tight I'll be a wizard and they won't be able to hurt me then*

FD
06-09-2011, 03:30 PM
The path seems clear to me. Current polls reflect the belief he's not in. He would immediately brush aside Pawlenty and squash Palin/Bachmann like bugs to grab the Tea Party banner. (however you define Tea party these days)

Now, maybe he wouldn't beat Romney, but I wouldn't say he has no chance. Talk radio has been talking Perry up as their best hope for weeks now, whipping their audience into a frenzy.

Another good article today: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/06/09/will_newt_gingrichs_demise_be_rick_perrys_rise_110152.html

I think a lot of the appeal that people see in Perry comes from the fact that he isn't in and the guy on the sidelines always has more appeal than the guys in the game. Perry might look good on paper but I stand by my belief that he wouldn't even win the Texas primary. The man has a lot of problems.

alnorth
06-09-2011, 03:31 PM
How does Perry grab the Tea Party? If I recall he was pretty hated by the likes in Texas.

He is nowhere close to "hated" by the Tea Party. He was on that bandwagon before it become politically popular.

dirk digler
06-09-2011, 03:32 PM
The man has a lot of problems.

Like when he said Texas might secede? lol

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 03:34 PM
He is nowhere close to "hated" by the Tea Party. He was on that bandwagon before it become politically popular.

Debra Medina was the Tea-Party candidate that was polling in the high 20's in the Texas Gubernatorial race last year until she came across as a 9-11 truther on Glenn Beck.

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Politico is reporting the staffers quit because Gingrich is low on funds.

alnorth
06-09-2011, 03:37 PM
I think a lot of the appeal that people see in Perry comes from the fact that he isn't in and the guy on the sidelines always has more appeal than the guys in the game. Perry might look good on paper but I stand by my belief that he wouldn't even win the Texas primary. The man has a lot of problems.

You seem to be vastly underestimating just how pathetic the non-Romney field is right now. As it is, this is set up to be Romney coronation rather than a real primary, to the point where conservatives have been begging Perry to get in to provide a solid non-crazy conservative alternative.

His only baggage that I'm aware of is an off-the-cuff response to people asking him about secession.

In the midst of one of the worst recessions in the history of the nation, he's the governor of a low-tax business-friendly state with one of the lowest unemployment rates. His politics are solidly in-line with the primary voter (whether he'd be better able to beat Obama in the general than Romney is another question), he hasn't done or said anything completely crazy like almost every other candidate, so the appeal seems obvious to me.

On top of that, he's a governor, which comes with the built-in advantage of not having had to make a tough vote. (Obama essentially had that advantage too, since he was only in the senate a couple years)

dirk digler
Or that he rejected the stimulus then had to go get a loan from the government to keep paying bills?

orange
Newt Gingrich Top Aide Says Disagreement Over 'Time Commitments' Prompted Departures

First Posted: 06/ 9/11 05:01 PM ET Updated: 06/ 9/11 05:18 PM ET

WASHINGTON – Newt Gingrich spokesman Rick Tyler confirmed to The Huffington Post Thursday that he and other top aides to the Republican presidential candidate have quit, but said it was over a difference of campaign philosophies and not because they questioned his commitment to running an all-out campaign.

“It’s not laziness,” Tyler said by phone. “He’s the hardest working person I know. It’s just, I’ll just leave it at our paths to victory are different.”

“There were two visions, two paths to victory, and Newt’s path and my understanding of the path to victory were different, and when that happens, then the candidate’s vision has got to prevail,” he added.

Gingrich aides have been quoted as saying that the former House speaker from Georgia’s decision to go on a cruise to the Mediterranean over the last two weeks was the final straw for them. Tyler said he understood that the timing looked bad but said the major cause of discord was over how to run the campaign.

“The expectation of what a candidate is was a little different, and the expectation of the time commitments,” he said. “I don’t want this to be misinterpreted. Newt is the single most energetic person I’ve ever met in my life. He will wear out staffers three years younger than he is."

Craig Schoenfeld, who also quit from his post as Gingrich's executive director in Iowa, was more explicit in comments to the Des Moines Register about the candidate's lack of commitment to fundraising and retail politics.

“You have to be able to raise money to run a campaign and you have to invest time in fundraising and to campaign here in the state and I did not have the confidence that was going to be happening," Schoenfeld said. "I’ve seen the schedule for June and July going into the straw poll. It’s clear there wasn’t a path to success."

more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/09/newt-gingrich-aides-rick-tyler_n_874452.html

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Former GA steps down from Gingrich's campaign to join Pawlentys.

orange
06-09-2011, 03:40 PM
You seem to be vastly underestimating just how pathetic the non-Romney field is right now.

And you seem to be vastly overestimating just how well known Perry is outside of Texas. Being a Governor hasn't helped Pawlenty with recognition, for example.

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 03:41 PM
And you seem to be vastly overestimating just how well known Perry is outside of Texas. Being a Governor hasn't helped Pawlenty with recognition, for example.

Perry is polling behind Ron Paul in Texas in the recent PPP poll LMAO

alnorth
06-09-2011, 03:42 PM
They need an official cover story. You dont tell the media in an on-the-record conference that you are jumping ship from a campaign you signed on to because Perry called. They have a landing spot to jump to, and its not hard to talk about how much of a disaster Gingrich's campaign is. (never mind that most campaign staffs go down with the ship)

If these guys abruptly join Perry to ramp up his campaign, this cover story will look like hogwash.

FD
06-09-2011, 03:43 PM
You seem to be vastly underestimating just how pathetic the non-Romney field is right now. As it is, this is set up to be Romney coronation rather than a real primary, to the point where conservatives have been begging Perry to get in to provide a solid non-crazy conservative alternative.

His only baggage that I'm aware of is an off-the-cuff response to people asking him about secession.

In the midst of one of the worst recessions in the history of the nation, he's the governor of a low-tax business-friendly state with one of the lowest unemployment rates. His politics are solidly in-line with the primary voter (whether he'd be better able to beat Obama in the general than Romney is another question), he hasn't done or said anything completely crazy like almost every other candidate, so the appeal seems obvious to me.

On top of that, he's a governor, which comes with the built-in advantage of not having had to make a tough vote. (Obama essentially had that advantage too, since he was only in the senate a couple years)

I agree that on paper Perry is a very solid looking candidate. But not at all a "solid non-crazy conservative." He's politically savvy and has had some amazing luck in his career, but he causes problems for himself pretty much anytime he opens his mouth. The attention of a full-fledged presidential campaign will wither his image fast. The view down here in Austin is, like I said, he wouldn't even win the Texas GOP primary.

alnorth
06-09-2011, 03:43 PM

People who have forcefully insisted that they are not in do not poll really well. You tend to hitch your wagon to choice B or C and support them when polled.

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 03:46 PM
People who have forcefully insisted that they are not in do not poll really well. You tend to hitch your wagon to choice B or C and support them when polled.

Well Rudy isn't in and he leads the CNN poll. Though polls at this point are useless i'm just not really seeing the Perry hype outside of the establishment and the media. This tells me that Pawlenty is going nowhere as he was the guy they all tried to hype. Now if it were Christie instead of Perry I'd have to agree with you about this being game over.

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Sonny Perdue joins Tim Pawlenty
1 Comment RSSEmailPrint
By ALEXANDER BURNS | 6/9/11 5:25 PM EDT Updated: 6/9/11 5:43 PM EDT

Former Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue has stepped down from Newt Gingrich's campaign and signed on with Tim Pawlenty, a Pawlenty source confirms.

Perdue will join Pawlenty's national leadership team in a role to be announced at a later point, the source said. The news that Perdue was switching sides was broken on Twitter by Minnesota AP reporter Brian Bakst.

Continue Reading
Pawlenty's camp is a natural destination for Perdue: The two men served as governors together for eight years and Perdue's 2006 campaign manager, Nick Ayers, is now running Pawlenty's campaign.

UPDATE: Perdue's statement ...

"Tim Pawlenty is a great man, he was a phenomenal governor, and he is the person I now believe stands the greatest chance of defeating President Obama. He is the only candidate who has laid out a real plan to grow the American economy, and his track record in Minnesota is proof he's the right man for the job."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/56655.html#ixzz1OomC7ieH

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Dave Carney: Not about Rick Perry
0 Comment RSSEmailPrint
By ALEXANDER BURNS | 6/9/11 3:36 PM EDT

Dave Carney, the former senior aide to Newt Gingrich who is also an adviser to Texas Gov. Rick Perry, says his departure from the Gingrich camp is entirely unrelated to growing speculation about a possible Perry presidential bid.

"This is totally unrelated to Rick Perry," he wrote in an email just now.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/56632.html#ixzz1OomTFZff

alnorth
06-09-2011, 03:55 PM
They need an official cover story. You dont tell the media in an on-the-record conference that you are jumping ship from a campaign you signed on to because Perry called. They have a landing spot to jump to, and its not hard to talk about how much of a disaster Gingrich's campaign is. (never mind that most campaign staffs go down with the ship)

If these guys abruptly join Perry to ramp up his campaign, this cover story will look like hogwash..

Chocolate Hog
06-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Yes but Perdue already joined on with Pawlenty.

Dave Lane
06-09-2011, 03:59 PM

That's not possible. You can't poll a negative number.

alnorth
06-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Yes but Perdue already joined on with Pawlenty.

Perdue is some mildly well-known guy from Georgia. He's not key to Perry. I'm not saying every single guy who was with Gingrich is going to Perry.

alnorth
06-09-2011, 04:01 PM
From CBS:

UPDATED 4:45 p.m.

Texas Governor Rick Perry is "serious" about making a run for the White House, sources close to Perry tell CBS News.

Perry has been talking with financial backers for the past week on a possible bid and even held a conference call earlier in the week to discuss the matter, the sources told CBS' Jan Crawford.

But Perry was reluctant to run for the nomination without key advisers, including his former campaign manager Rob Johnson and his top political consultant Dave Carney, both of whom were working on the presidential campaign of former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

Johnson and Carney announced their resignations from the Gingrich campaign Thursday as part of a huge shake-up of the organization.

Chief Henry
06-09-2011, 04:22 PM
His chances were slim, closer to none actually thta he would have beent he R candidate for President.

I think he'll still do very well in the debates.

HonestChieffan
06-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Sounds like the Perry rumor is gaining strength.

Pitt Gorilla
06-09-2011, 09:21 PM
I didn't realize it was his ENTIRE staff in Iowa.

http://qctimes.com/news/state-and-regional/iowa/article_21738202-92db-11e0-b787-001cc4c03286.html

Bewbies
06-09-2011, 10:13 PM
On the news here tonight locally (I'm in Atlanta) they said the "differences in the direction of the campaign" were due to the fact he wouldn't commit enough time to and in the states he needed to win.

Never a serious candidate.

alnorth
06-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Some random blog declared earlier today that the two Perry associates that quit their top-level posts with Gingrich were given jobs to prepare for the new Perry campaign earlier this afternoon, but it was some dude in a blog, not worth talking about or posting.

Now the daily caller and Frum are calling it, so its risen to the level of "credible rumor". Not yet "news with sources", but a decent rumor.

Sources: Rick Perry is running (http://dailycaller.com/2011/06/09/sources-rick-perry-is-running/#)

Two separate and reliable sources in Texas tell me serious preparations are being made for Governor Rick Perry, 61, to seek the Republican nomination for president.

Dave Carney and Rob Johnson — the former top Perry aides who on Thursday left Newt Gingrich’s floundering campaign — are said to be heading to Texas soon to join in on preparations for the run. I am told this is now “ninety percent likely to occur.” Additionally, Perry allies have begun holding meetings in the state and have been instructed to quietly reach out to contacts in early primary states.

If this happens, then its on. Romney is the best electable candidate who will have a hell of a time to get the nomination and probably be too bloodied in the process with republicans staying home if he got the nomination. Rick Perry is, potentially... just potentially..., the new option who could get the nomination and be competitive with Obama. Maybe not as competitive as an unbloodied Romney with the party behind him (which wont happen), but still competitive.

Jenson71
06-10-2011, 12:06 AM

I'm trying to imagine how out-of-touch you have to be to think that getting laid is any sort of accomplishment today. With you, first it's "are you gay" questions, then it's "you're not having sex" suggestions. Next you'll be using Family Guy characters in your attempts at insults. You're as transfixed upon sexual intercourse and orientation in the way most high school freshmen are. What are you? In your forties? Fifties? You're an embarrassment.

I haven't read Lord of the Rings, but any good, literate, and educated Catholic knows that they are to be taken as serious works with a serious message by one of the most Catholic-oriented popular writers of the 20th century.

But when it comes to you, I get the feeling you're more interested in fawning over your idea of getting laid (and not to your middle aged wife, but to whatever fantasy you conjure up for the biannual ritual of banging genitalia with her on your birthday and Valentine's Day) than you are in being a good, literate, and educated Catholic.

Jenson71
06-10-2011, 12:12 AM

This is from an adult (allegedly) who chooses a picture of a clothed female character and her white horse from the medieval fantasy TV show Game of Thrones as his pictorial representation on a message board. The thick irony sap in this has entrapped the entire fucking board.

Chiefshrink
06-10-2011, 12:41 AM

This:thumb:

banyon
06-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Those sources are ancient history. (ie anything over a month old) The entire political world from Politico to curious folks across the pond in the UK are saying this must mean Perry is in. Now, maybe we'll all be shocked and he stays out, but its not likely now.

I've been following this closely because I've wanted Perry to jump in for months. A couple weeks ago Perry finally said he'd think about it, and the insiders basically said to watch Gingrich's campaign for a sign. Soon as I saw the story I clicked over to this board to say Perry must be in.

As for being late, everyone's basically late anyway, and Perry allies have been telling doners and people in early states to stay on the sideline just a little longer.

If true, great find, al.

RNR
06-11-2011, 05:38 AM

As far as recognition not many had the American Idol packaged president on their radar at this time in the last election~

BucEyedPea
06-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Some random blog declared earlier today that the two Perry associates that quit their top-level posts with Gingrich were given jobs to prepare for the new Perry campaign earlier this afternoon, but it was some dude in a blog, not worth talking about or posting.

Now the daily caller and Frum are calling it, so its risen to the level of "credible rumor". Not yet "news with sources", but a decent rumor.

Sources: Rick Perry is running (http://dailycaller.com/2011/06/09/sources-rick-perry-is-running/#)

If this happens, then its on. Romney is the best electable candidate who will have a hell of a time to get the nomination and probably be too bloodied in the process with republicans staying home if he got the nomination. Rick Perry is, potentially... just potentially..., the new option who could get the nomination and be competitive with Obama. Maybe not as competitive as an unbloodied Romney with the party behind him (which wont happen), but still competitive.

The fact that these Perry guys went for Gingrich, a Rockefeller Republican, tells me Perry isn't any good of they went back to him. Particularly, when a man with the name Frum is calling it.

At least Michelle reads Mises.