PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Iranian Wome Banned From O;ympics For Refusing To Take Off Headscarves

vailpass
06-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Dumb & Dumber....

Olympics 2012: FIFA bans headscarves for Iranian women’s soccer team
By Thomas Erdbrink, Published: June 6
TEHRAN — Not participating in the 2012 London Olympics is a nightmare for every serious athlete, but for the Iranian women’s soccer team the defeat was extra bitter after they were disqualified right before a crucial qualifying match because they wore Islamic headscarves.

Ready to play a crucial Olympic qualifying match with Jordan in Amman on Friday, the Iranian team was dismissed by officials of the international football association, FIFA. The officials decided just before the kickoff that the tight headscarves the Iranian players were wearing to cover their hair broke the association’s dress code, FIFA said on Monday.

After Jordan was awarded a 3-0 victory, Iran’s players took to the field crying, Press TV, Iranian state TV’s English-language outlet, reported.

In the Islamic Republic of Iran all women are obliged to cover their hair, neck, arms and legs according to the state’s interpretation of Shiite Islamic tenets. Female athletes who compete internationally have to obey the country’s dress code. Iranian women athletes have excelled during international events in sports such as karate and volleyball, but are notably absent from sports such as swimming and gymnastics.

“This ruling means that women soccer in Iran is over,” said Shahrzad Mozafar, the team’s former head coach. She said that now that FIFA is no longer allowing Iranian women to wear scarves, the Iranian government will no longer send them abroad for competitions. “Headscarves are simply what we wear in Iran,” she said.

In April 2010 FIFA announced that it was planning to ban headscarves and other religious outings during the 2012 Olympics. Following the ruling, Iran’s team designed special headscarves that players wrapped tightly around their heads and necks. The team said they were in line with guidelines set by the football association.

FIFA did not agree and told the Associated Press on Monday that its officials had been right to stop the Iranian women from playing the qualifier. Iranian officials were “informed thoroughly” before Friday's match against Jordan that the headscarf covering a woman’s neck is banned for safety reasons, an unidentified FIFA official said.

The Iranian football organization, which is lead by allies of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, is planning to protest the ruling.

Mozafar said the ruling killed professional athletic ambitions of Iranian women.

“When a serious women athlete can’t participate internationally, which ambitions are left for her?” she said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/united/olympics-2012-fifa-bans-headscarves-for-irans-women-soccer-team/2011/06/06/AGzT1JKH_print.html

Rain Man
06-09-2011, 05:08 PM
It's too bad for the women. Maybe this will help them decide to overthrow the government and advance beyond the 8th century.

kstater
06-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Pretty fucked up on FIFA's part.

Donger
06-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Do they also wear coverings on the their legs and arms when playing soccer? If not, it sounds like a little Allah carte Islam.

Donger
06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
“When a serious women athlete can’t participate internationally, which ambitions are left for her?” she said.

Stone-dodging?

kstater
06-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Do they also wear coverings on the their legs and arms when playing soccer? If not, it sounds like a little Allah carte Islam.

http://previous.presstv.ir/photo/20110604/shamsara20110604150950297.jpg

Donger
06-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Holy shit:

http://www.soccergoals.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Women-soccer-players-Iran.jpg

Donger
06-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Yeah, I think I see a camel toe on the one on the left, too.

Rain Man
06-09-2011, 05:14 PM
The interesting thing is that a significant portion of men in their part of the world see those pictures and think, "Look at those shameless sluts, exposing their faces and hands like that."

Donger
06-09-2011, 05:16 PM
The interesting thing is that a significant portion of men in their part of the world see those pictures and think, "Look at those shameless sluts, exposing their faces and hands like that."

Yes, while anally copulating with a goat.

listopencil
06-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I think I see a camel toe on the one on the left, too.

No wonder vailpass' keyboard was sticky. "Wome Banned From O;ympics" indeed.

ModSocks
06-09-2011, 05:20 PM
You don't know what kind of contraband they could hiding under those things.

Good job FIFA.

listopencil
06-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Oh shit there really is a wormhole. We're all gonna die.

boogblaster
06-09-2011, 05:24 PM
this looks like a cover-up ....

Just Passin' By
06-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Given what many of the female athletes look like, they should be considering expanding this instead of banning it.

Otter
06-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Are they allowed to lounge around the house in their boxers? When are they allowed to take them off?

Imagine breathing thru those things when its 95 degrees out. That's not cool.

Just Passin' By
06-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Are they allowed to lounge around the house in their boxers? When are they allowed to take them off?

Imagine breathing thru those things when its 95 degrees out. That's not cool.

Seems like Nike has an untapped market.

vailpass
06-09-2011, 05:49 PM
What kind of stone-age society tells their women how to dress, and makes them dress like that?

JD10367
06-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Yes, while anally copulating with a goat.

How do you KNOW you don't like it, if you've never even TRIED it?

alnorth
06-09-2011, 05:52 PM
I agree with Fifa. The rules are the rules, and they have a good reason for it. (concern about strangulation if loose cloth is around your neck). They allow head covering that basically hide the hair, they just don't want it around their necks.

Dave Lane
06-09-2011, 08:31 PM
It's too bad for the women. Maybe this will help them decide to overthrow the government and advance beyond the 8th century.

No actually they went to shit in the 11th century. Religion overtook reason and the most advanced culture on earth at that time literally froze in place.

Dave Lane
06-09-2011, 08:32 PM
What kind of stone-age society tells their women how to dress, and makes them dress like that?

One caught in the throes of religious fervor I guess. :hail:

FAX
06-09-2011, 08:36 PM

Just what I was thinking.

Besides, Muslim women should not be playing soccer, anyhow. Everybody knows that their place is in the kitchen making bombs.

FAX

FAX
06-09-2011, 08:37 PM

Can you imagine what a male-centric culture would look like in the US of A? The required dress code for women in this country would be lingerie.

FAX

Extra Point
06-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Pretty ****ed up on FIFA's part.

This. I looked at the pic of the players crying, and thought same. Too bad.

Extra Point
06-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Just what I was thinking.

Besides, Muslim women should not be playing soccer, anyhow. Everybody knows that their place is in the kitchen making bombs.

FAX

They were crying because they weren't allowed to do so, being forced to play a game, wherein the most they could do to humanity, was a late slide tackle?

FAX
06-09-2011, 08:49 PM
I think I read that France and some other country has outlawed headscarves and veils, as well.

In a way, this may be a good thing. As Mr. Rain Man so eloquently stated in his eloquently stated post thing, eventually Arab women may ignite the flames of revolution in those countries ... much as they did in Western nations. I note with interest that a couple of Muslim women have posed nude recently for magazines which really pissed off some Imams. Perhaps there is an underground movement afoot. Clearly, were Arab women to decide that freedom is necessary, change would follow since they have the power to make men absolutely miserable. In the meantime, I would hate to be reincarnated as an Iranian goat.

FAX

Frankie
06-09-2011, 09:10 PM
They were crying because they weren't allowed to do so, being forced to play a game, wherein the most they could do to humanity, was a late slide tackle?

They are innocent victims. Fifa doesn't let them wear the garb and their government forces them too. Most of the the rest of the condescending remarks in this thread are based on either being uninformed or being bigoted.

You know who you are posters.

:)

Demonpenz
06-09-2011, 09:17 PM
subzero?

Easy 6
06-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Holy shit:

http://www.soccergoals.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Women-soccer-players-Iran.jpg

They look like King Xerxes 'Immortals'... DRIVE THEM TO THE CLIFFS!

-King-
06-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Given what many of the female athletes look like, they should be considering expanding this instead of banning it.

LMAOLMAO

bigbucks24
06-11-2011, 02:14 PM
They are innocent victims. Fifa doesn't let them wear the garb and their government forces them too. Most of the the rest of the condescending remarks in this thread are based on either being uninformed or being bigoted.

You know who you are posters.

:)

Or humor? Except the goat comment. That was uninformed bigotry.

Valiant
06-11-2011, 02:53 PM
No actually they went to shit in the 11th century. Religion overtook reason and the most advanced culture on earth at that time literally froze in place.

Iran was pretty progressive in the 60/70s from the photos I have seen..

Bump
06-11-2011, 03:45 PM
fuck em, they look stupid as shit in those things anyways. In the NFL you get fined for putting on the wrong socks, I see no difference here.

Frankie
06-11-2011, 03:56 PM

The people* are still very modern and progressive, despite being forced to live a backward-looking life on the outside.

(* As I have always stated, a country should be defined and judged by it's relative 'middle class.' So whenever I refer to 'people' of a country without a class description attached to it I'm refering to its middle class.)

Braincase
06-11-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm guessing the Jordanian women were sympathetic on the outside, and laughing their asses off on the inside. "Hey, just TAKE THE DAMN THING OFF!".

listopencil
06-11-2011, 07:39 PM

It just occurred to me that those uniforms make it very difficult to check your anus.

Easy 6
06-11-2011, 09:08 PM
The people* are still very modern and progressive, despite being forced to live a backward-looking life on the outside.

(* As I have always stated, a country should be defined and judged by it's relative 'middle class.' So whenever I refer to 'people' of a country without a class description attached to it I'm refering to its middle class.)

Thats the saddest part of Irans story, they really do have a huge population of cosmopolitan, educated & modern people.

Without the madmen currently at the helm, that country could be a true moderating force over there.

Frankie
06-11-2011, 09:29 PM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jm81rd7MEZs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hRRm9X6xG34" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frankie
06-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Thats the saddest part of Irans story, they really do have a huge population of cosmopolitan, educated & modern people.

Without the madmen currently at the helm, that country could be a true moderating force over there.

:thumb:

Ugly Duck
06-11-2011, 11:25 PM

http://qando.net/archives/182273.1020.A.jpg

FAX
06-11-2011, 11:27 PM
I say we give them a henway.

FAX

ClevelandBronco
06-11-2011, 11:36 PM
I say we give them a henway.

FAX

A henway, Mr. FAX? Why, what's a henway?

FAX
06-11-2011, 11:39 PM
A henway, Mr. FAX? Why, what's a henway?

About 2 pounds.

ROFL

FAX

ClevelandBronco
06-11-2011, 11:40 PM
About 2 pounds.

ROFL

FAX

http://www.dancestudiolife.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/tradition.jpg

demonhero
06-12-2011, 02:20 AM
Smurfs need to take those things off and get with the times.

BWillie
06-12-2011, 03:49 AM
hahahaha Fifa is awesome. And I thought I hated soccer. Kudos to that organization

Srlsly....muslim women have got to be the most oppressed and retarded ppl on the earth. Yes yes I think it's great I have to wear this thing in 110 degree heat just so other men can't fully see my face and features. yes i love being told i cannot speak or do anything. those muslim guys got it good, they know what they are doing and how to opress women. Christianity used to opress women, but then ppl stopped taking it as srlsly as they used to. Back in the 50's guys had it good. told their chick what to do. seen but not heard, bitz got cook me some grits and clean the bathroom. then hippies came along and ruined it, made them feel special and important and look where we are

Frankie
06-12-2011, 09:59 AM
hahahaha Fifa is awesome. And I thought I hated soccer. Kudos to that organization

Srlsly....muslim women have got to be the most oppressed and retarded ppl on the earth. Yes yes I think it's great I have to wear this thing in 110 degree heat just so other men can't fully see my face and features. yes i love being told i cannot speak or do anything. those muslim guys got it good, they know what they are doing and how to opress women. Christianity used to opress women, but then ppl stopped taking it as srlsly as they used to. Back in the 50's guys had it good. told their chick what to do. seen but not heard, bitz got cook me some grits and clean the bathroom. then hippies came along and ruined it, made them feel special and important and look where we are

I wish we had 'Sarcasm' smilies so I could tell if someone's being sarcastic or plain ignorant.

Donger
06-12-2011, 10:14 AM

Too bad those people welcomed the first madman back with open arms, yes.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Donger has now posted this how many times? I'd say a good 200 times. LMAO

Donger
06-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Donger has now posted this how many times? I'd say a good 200 times. LMAO

Facts are pesky things, aren't they?

Brock
06-12-2011, 10:29 AM

Yep. Black people used to know their place too.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Facts are pesky things, aren't they?

So are one track minds.

Donger
06-12-2011, 10:40 AM
So are one track minds.

When it comes to apologists for Iran? Absolutely.

Easy 6
06-12-2011, 10:54 AM

Its my understanding that Khomeini lied through his teeth about the ultimate aims of the revolution.

I'm sure a lot of the people just wanted the corrupt shah out & were duped into believing the lies, desperate people are of course easily lied to.

Donger
06-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Its my understanding that Khomeini lied through his teeth about the ultimate aims of the revolution.

I'm sure a lot of the people just wanted the corrupt shah out & were duped into believing the lies, desperate people are of course easily lied to.

Yes, I'm sure that the Iranian people believed an ayatollah was going to have secular rule.

I do agree that the Iranians went from one extreme to the other, however. It's a shame, but they picked it.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Analytical mind vs Donger's one track mind. Great demonstration. :thumb:

Donger
06-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Analytical mind vs Donger's one track mind. Great demonstration. :thumb:

Frankie, the Iranian people voted overwhelmingly to establish an Islamic Republic instead of a monarchy. That's another pesky fact.

Unfortunately, they chose poorly.

vailpass
06-12-2011, 11:33 AM
So Frankie, do you agree with the practice of the government mandating what Iranian women can and can't wear?

Frankie
06-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Frankie, the Iranian people voted overwhelmingly to establish an Islamic Republic instead of a monarchy. That's another pesky fact.

Unfortunately, they chose poorly.

I wish you could 'chose' to have an open mind. But you are trapped in your one track redundant thinking one. Another pesky fact.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 11:34 AM
So Frankie, do you agree with the practice of the government mandating what Iranian women can and can't wear?

Never have.

Donger
06-12-2011, 11:35 AM
I wish you could 'chose' to have an open mind. But you are trapped in your one track redundant thinking one. Another pesky fact.

I do have an open mind, but I also acknowledge facts. Let's see if you have an open mind: Do you acknowledge that the Iranian people chose to to establish an Islamic Republic by voting overwhelmingly for it when given a chance?

Frankie
06-12-2011, 11:38 AM
I do have an open mind, .....

And I have a 33" member.

Donger
06-12-2011, 12:06 PM
And I have a 33" member.

Not going to answer, eh?

Bwana
06-12-2011, 12:12 PM
And I have a 33" member.

http://dietrichthrall.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/mini-me.jpg

Frankie
06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Let's see if you have an open mind: Do you acknowledge that the Iranian people chose to to establish an Islamic Republic by voting overwhelmingly for it when given a chance?

That's not the point. I have discussed this with you several times before, but your one track mind seems to keep snapping back to the idiotic point that you bring up again and again and again every once in a while. See if you can absorb this history/civic lesson this time:

1- Every Revolution (with the exception of the American revolution against you guys) is a coalition of groups of many different goals. Goal number one (removing the common enemy) is often the only thing that unites them. Once goal #1 is achieved those very forces start to compete for control. Normally (as in the French and Russian Revolutions) the most ruthless of these groups win out by systematically and without compromise eliminating the competition. Khomeini had said many times that he would go back to Qum and the clergy would return to their work as spiritual guides. Obviously that did not happen.

2- When folks are given two tokens of two vividly different colors representing 'yes' and 'no' and have to put one in voting boxes in front of cameras armed revolutionary guards you do not have much of a safe choice.

So next time you're about to make like an idiot again try considering all parameters and not just your simplistic one track mind.

you are welcome. There'll be no charge for the lesson.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Not going to answer, eh?

Don't be paranoid. Guess what. I was answering and was interrupted by an overseas phone call, from........ guess what country!!!!

But don't be paranoid and scared, it was only my father-in-law..... THIS TIME!

(BTW, do me a favor and the next time you wanna bring up your redundant point for your audience just come back to this conversation.)

Donger
06-12-2011, 12:30 PM
That's not the point. I have discussed this with you several times before, but your one track mind seems to keep snapping back to the idiotic point that you bring up again and again and again every once in a while. See if you can absorb this history/civic lesson this time:

1- Every Revolution (with the exception of the American revolution against you guys) is a coalition of groups of many different goals. Goal number one (removing the common enemy) is often the only thing that unites them. Once goal #1 is achieved those very forces start to compete for control. Normally (as in the French and Russian Revolutions) the most ruthless of these groups win out by systematically and without compromise eliminating the competition. Khomeini had said many times that he would go back to Qum and the clergy would return to their work as spiritual guides. Obviously that did not happen.

2- When folks are given two tokens of two vividly different colors representing 'yes' and 'no' and have to put one in voting boxes in front of cameras armed revolutionary guards you do not have much of a safe choice.

So next time you're about to make like an idiot again try considering all parameters and not just your simplistic one track mind.

you are welcome. There'll be no charge for the lesson.

I see. So it is your opinion that the Iranian vote to establish an Islamic Republic was forced? If so, please provide some evidence that backs you assertion.

I'm aware that Khomeini did not reveal his true intentions. However, you have to be pretty gullible and/or stupid to think that a religious leader wouldn't rule religiously.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 12:45 PM
I see. So it is your opinion that the Iranian vote to establish an Islamic Republic was forced? If so, please provide some evidence that backs you assertion.

I'm aware that Khomeini did not reveal his true intentions. However, you have to be pretty gullible and/or stupid to think that a religious leader wouldn't rule religiously.

You are so ignorant it's scary. I lived as an adult through those days and before. If you want to argue with me who has personal experience, at least do a little research. :shake:

1- It's a total fact about the colored tokens as yes and no ballots. Check it out yourself. My friends and family went to the ballot boxes then. I don't need to research this and frankly I don't give a flying turd if you are not convinced.

2- Khomeini was well known in Iran well before the revolution. His clashes with the Shah's regime went back years before you in the west even heard his name. It earned him exile and people's hero respect and stature among most everybody then, especially the more vigorous young folks. I started hearing about his "heroic" stand as early as my junior high days in the mid 60s. He had the respect and trust of the majority of people just for that history, regardless of his clerical status.

I feel I have given you enough free history lessons. So far you have acted ignorant. The next time you dwell on this I and people who are reading these exchanges have to conclude that you are a step or two below that. Your choice.

Ace Gunner
06-12-2011, 12:46 PM
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5784/ladylikeey4nz0dy3dj3.png

Frankie
06-12-2011, 12:53 PM
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5784/ladylikeey4nz0dy3dj3.png

Are these Iranian women or are you just stupid? Just askin'

Donger
06-12-2011, 01:20 PM
You are so ignorant it's scary. I lived as an adult through those days and before. If you want to argue with me who has personal experience, at least do a little research. :shake:

1- It's a total fact about the colored tokens as yes and no ballots. Check it out yourself. My friends and family went to the ballot boxes then. I don't need to research this and frankly I don't give a flying turd if you are not convinced.

2- Khomeini was well known in Iran well before the revolution. His clashes with the Shah's regime went back years before you in the west even heard his name. It earned him exile and people's hero respect and stature among most everybody then, especially the more vigorous young folks. I started hearing about his "heroic" stand as early as my junior high days in the mid 60s. He had the respect and trust of the majority of people just for that history, regardless of his clerical status.

I feel I have given you enough free history lessons. So far you have acted ignorant. The next time you dwell on this I and people who are reading these exchanges have to conclude that you are a step or two below that. Your choice.

I didn't say that there were or were not colored tokens, Frankie. I asked for you to provide some evidence that backs up your assertion that the vote was forced. I take it you don't have any?

I'm well-aware of Khomeini's history and the Iranian peoples' misplaced trust in him. Yes, a secular ayatollah. And the Iranian people believed that.

Face it, Frankie. Everything I have stated as fact is just that. I understand that you don't like it, since you are "a man of two countries." That doesn't change anything that happened. It must pain you tremendously to know that your people openly chose an Islamic Republic.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 04:05 PM
I didn't say that there were or were not colored tokens, Frankie. I asked for you to provide some evidence that backs up your assertion that the vote was forced. I take it you don't have any?

:facepalm:

You didn't pick up any of my words did you?

Rain Man
06-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Not to sidetrack the argument, frankie, but can I ask you a personal history question? Did you immigrate to the U.S. or were you born here? And did you leave Iran in response to the Iranian Revolution, or did you come earlier or later? Just curious. Wasn't there a big wave of emigration after Khomeini took over by people who didn't support that revolution?

No big deal if you don't want to answer, but I'm curious. I've known several people who left Vietnam when that country fell to the communists, and I was wondering what the emigration environment was like when Iran went Ayatollah. Was it panic, or normal, or something entirely different?

As an aside, my sister's roommate in college was an Iranian who had fled the country. She was rich and she was gorgeous and she was nice, but as a high school kid I could never close any kind of deal with her.

Donger
06-12-2011, 04:21 PM

You didn't pick up any of my words did you?

I didn't see any words that support your assertion, Frankie. Would you like to point them out?

Frankie
06-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Not to sidetrack the argument, frankie, but can I ask you a personal history question? Did you immigrate to the U.S. or were you born here? And did you leave Iran in response to the Iranian Revolution, or did you come earlier or later? Just curious. Wasn't there a big wave of emigration after Khomeini took over by people who didn't support that revolution?

I came here in 1970. The revolution was in 1978 +/-. Maybe they revolted because they missed me and my calming effects. :hmmm:

Yes there was a lot of emigration during and after the revolution (Also to Europe). Allegedly most of the 'during' ones "literally carried suitcases full of cash" with them which they then turned into big real estates in places like Beverly Hills and the Valley and found instant prosperity here. Most of the 'after' ones have been happening gradually since.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 05:16 PM

From mid-60s:

Frankie
06-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Hey Donger, if you are actually seriously curious (which I seriously doubt) here's an informative read. If not then you are a troll, we've talked about it enough, and don't waste my time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Revolution

Donger
06-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Hey Donger, if you are actually seriously curious (which I seriously doubt) here's an informative read. If not then you are a troll, we've talked about it enough, and don't waste my time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Revolution

Yes, I've read that. I see nothing that supports your assertion that the vote was forced, Frankie. Back it up or retract it, please.

Every fact that I've mentioned can be backed up by facts (even in the link above). Here are some examples from your link:

Iran voted by national referendum to become an Islamic Republic on April 1, 1979,[10] and to approve a new theocratic constitution whereby Khomeini became Supreme Leader of the country, in December 1979.

On March 30 and 31 (Farvardin 10, 11) a referendum was held over whether to replace the monarchy with an "Islamic Republic" — a term not defined on the ballot. Khomeini called for a massive turnout[151] and only the National Democratic Front, Fadayan, and several Kurdish parties opposed the vote.[151] It was announced that 98.2% had voted in favor.

As you can, see the revolution happened in 1979, BTW.

Rain Man
06-12-2011, 05:36 PM
I came here in 1970. The revolution was in 1978 +/-. Maybe they revolted because they missed me and my calming effects. :hmmm:

Yes there was a lot of emigration during and after the revolution (Also to Europe). Allegedly most of the 'during' ones "literally carried suitcases full of cash" with them which they then turned into big real estates in places like Beverly Hills and the Valley and found instant prosperity here. Most of the 'after' ones have been happening gradually since.

Yeah, that's probably it. I always wondered why some textbooks referred to it as the Frankie Revolution.

I think my sister's roommate was one of those money suitcase people. I vaguely recall that her dad owned a shipping company, but had to bug out quickly. If you own a bunch of cargo ships, it seems like you could pretty easily transport your wealth to the U.S.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Yes, I've read that. I see nothing that supports your assertion that the vote was forced, Frankie. Back it up or retract it, please.

Bullshit. Retract from my factual informed point in favor of your trolling idiotic one?!.... Yer funny!

Nobody said the vote was forced. But if you had bothered to read the link I gave you, even you'd figure out what went down. The 1979 referendum consisted of one blunt question. "Do you want the Monarchy or an Islamic Republic?"

With the absence of more choices and in the fervor of a young revolution, and with your ballot colored green (for yes to the IR) or red (for no) how many people would you think would put their red ballots in? Add to that the fact that ballot counting in these things are normally in no control of the masses and realize what you are incessantly swirling around the same drain. And while you're at it, retract your ignorant comments, please.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah, that's probably it. I always wondered why some textbooks referred to it as the Frankie Revolution.

I think my sister's roommate was one of those money suitcase people. I vaguely recall that her dad owned a shipping company, but had to bug out quickly. If you own a bunch of cargo ships, it seems like you could pretty easily transport your wealth to the U.S.

My dad was one of those rare honest colonels in the Shah's Army. He retired before the revolution and moved here and struggled financially. There were officers, junior to my dad, whose corruption earned them those suitcases who came here with their dirty money and lived in luxury. Life's not fair.

Donger
06-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Bullshit. Retract from my factual informed point in favor of your trolling idiotic one?!.... Yer funny!

Nobody said the vote was forced. But if you had bothered to read the link I gave you, even you'd figure out what went down. The 1979 referendum consisted of one blunt question. "Do you want the Monarchy or an Islamic Republic?"

With the absence of more choices and in the fervor of a young revolution, and with your ballot colored green (for yes to the IR) or red (for no) how many people would you think would put their red ballots in? Add to that the fact that ballot counting in these things are normally in no control of the masses and realize what you are incessantly swirling around the same drain. And while you're at it, retract your ignorant comments, please.

Strange. Your words: "2- When folks are given two tokens of two vividly different colors representing 'yes' and 'no' and have to put one in voting boxes in front of cameras armed revolutionary guards you do not have much of a safe choice."

So, okay, you're backing down from your assertion that the vote was made under threat of force, and now are stating that the Iranians chose an Islamic Republic. That's fine, and I'm glad that you are finally acknowledging the truth and facts.

They made a crappy decision, no doubt because they had suffered under the Shah. But let's not pretend that they didn't get EXACTLY what they voted for: Islamic rule.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Strange. Your words: "2- When folks are given two tokens of two vividly different colors representing 'yes' and 'no' and have to put one in voting boxes in front of cameras armed revolutionary guards you do not have much of a safe choice."

So, okay, you're backing down from your assertion that the vote was made under threat of force, and now are stating that the Iranians chose an Islamic Republic. That's fine, and I'm glad that you are finally acknowledging the truth and facts.

They made a crappy decision, no doubt because they had suffered under the Shah. But let's not pretend that they didn't get EXACTLY what they voted for: Islamic rule.:facepalm:

Wow!!!! Just wow!!!!! Congrats Donger, you just took one step down from merely ignorant, as I predicted.

beach tribe
06-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Why the fuck would they do this? Just let these mummys play soccer for fucks sake.

Donger
06-12-2011, 08:36 PM

Wow!!!! Just wow!!!!! Congrats Donger, you just took one step down from merely ignorant, as I predicted.

How is that, Frankie? Were you not suggesting that the vote was coerced with the threat of harm or not?

listopencil
06-12-2011, 08:42 PM

It just occurred to me that those uniforms make it very difficult to check your anus.

Upon revisiting this thread, number 27 is a cutie. She looks like she could use a hug.