PDA

View Full Version : General Politics The eyes of more than Texas are upon Rick Perry

Donger
06-10-2011, 03:40 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/10/rick.perry/

Washington (CNN) -- The stars have aligned for Rick Perry to enter the 2012 presidential race.

Now all eyes turn to Austin, as Republicans wonder whether the swaggering Texas governor will actually take the plunge.

Perry, the longest-serving governor in Texas history, boasts a national profile among Republicans and Tea Party activists, a network of deep-pocketed donors and a track record of creating jobs in the midst of a recession.

The implosion of Newt Gingrich's presidential campaign on Thursday -- an upheaval that saw the former House speaker's entire senior staff abandon what critics saw as a sinking ship -- left two of Perry's closest advisers, David Carney and Rob Johnson, without a candidate.

The sudden availability of his top advisers combined with the unsettled nature of the Republican presidential field has left the door wide open for Perry to step onto the national stage.

"Why wouldn't he run?" asked Mark McKinnon, a former George W. Bush adviser and longtime Perry observer. "One of the only things holding him back was two key members of his team were with Gingrich. And now that's no longer a problem."

McKinnon said, "There's a huge gap in the Republican field right now, and as a former six-man football player, Rick Perry knows how to run to the hole."

While Perry has long been the subject of presidential buzz, the speculation began anew last month when he told reporters at a bill signing in May that he would "think about" running after the state concludes its legislative business.

The regular session ended last month, but Perry convened a special 30-day session to deal with budget matters and immigration legislation that won't finish until the end of this month.

Meanwhile, Perry and his political team have been flooded with messages of encouragement in recent weeks, a deluge that's only picked up in the wake of the Gingrich spectacle.

Multiple legislators in the pivotal early primary state of South Carolina recently reached out to Perry and asked him to consider running, CNN has learned.

And after repeated efforts to contact Perry's team, a leading Tea Party activist in Iowa said he was finally able to get through to a political adviser on Friday to talk about a potential visit to the first-in-the-nation caucus state.

Ryan Rhodes, the chairman of the Iowa Tea Party, said he spoke with one of Perry's aides about the possibility of joining up with an 18-day statewide bus tour he is organizing. Five GOP presidential candidates are scheduled to appear at stops along the tour.

"I was assured that they appreciate any offers to come to Iowa, but they said the governor is in the same place in his decision as he was before," Rhodes said of his conversation. "They said he won't make a decision until the session is done."

That message is consistent with what Perry's office has been saying publicly -- that any decision about the presidential race will come only after Perry takes care of official state business.

"He is thinking about it, but he is thinking about a lot of issues," said Mark Miner, the governor's communications director.

Miner brushed aside the White House buzz but said it's understandable that Republicans would want Perry to run, because Texas, with its business-friendly climate, has weathered the recession better than most states.

"He a is conservative, fiscally responsible governor that has a successful record," he told CNN. "There is always going to be talk about he running for higher office because of success he has had."

Despite the denials coming out of the governor's office, veteran political observers in Texas have detected an unmistakable change in Perry's tone about the race, stoking further speculation about his plans.

For years, Perry would act "exasperated" when asked about his White House ambitions, according to Jason Embry, the capitol bureau chief for the Austin American-Statesman.

Not anymore.

"When his team started saying he had no intention of running, instead of saying that he was not running, it was an important pivot that none of us took lightly," Embry told CNN. "And then he started saying he was focused on the legislative session, which was a far less strident denial than he had given in the past. And then, of course, in late May he said he was going to think about it. So there has clearly been an evolution."

Perry-watchers say not to expect an announcement anytime soon. The governor would presumably have to huddle with his advisers and donors to plot out a campaign strategy.

But senior Democrats are at least taking the prospect of a Perry campaign seriously.

"I think absolutely there is a path to victory for him on the Republican side," said one Democratic strategist familiar with the Obama campaign's thinking.

The strategist predicted that Perry could appeal to social conservatives and Tea Party activists in Iowa and South Carolina but might face problems in New Hampshire.

If Perry manages to win the nomination, the strategist said, he would be haunted by his infamous 2009 suggestion that Texas might secede from the United States in the face of federal overreach.

"It would certainly be an interesting campaign, running against somebody who is running for president of the United States who had previously said he'd consider seceding from it," the Democrat said.

Chocolate Hog
06-10-2011, 03:46 PM
The media and establishment really are trying to push this guy after the other handful of picked candidates have flamed out.

Donger
06-10-2011, 03:47 PM
The media and establishment really are trying to push this guy after the other handful of picked candidates have flamed out.

I smell fear.

Chocolate Hog
06-10-2011, 03:49 PM
I smell fear.

Fear of what? The Republicans nominating a medicore candidate? I already assumed that would happen.

vailpass
06-10-2011, 03:52 PM
A swaggering cowboy with a set of balls and a six gun is a winning formula in US Presidential elections. It would be the anti-obama.

I don't know enough about Perry to know if he fits the bill.

Donger
06-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Fear of what? The Republicans nominating a medicore candidate? I already assumed that would happen.

What's mediocre about Perry?

Donger
06-10-2011, 03:54 PM
A swaggering cowboy with a set of balls and a six gun is a winning formula in US Presidential elections. It would be the anti-obama.

Nor do I. Perhaps some Texan CPers can provide some insight.

jiveturkey
06-10-2011, 03:54 PM
I'll take a long look at Perry. He strikes me as a serious candidate (if he becomes one).

Chocolate Hog
06-10-2011, 03:55 PM

He might have a big vote coming up as Gov. to abolish the TSA in his state after the feds threatened to stop all flights to Texas if he did so.

Cave Johnson
06-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Bring it on..... I doubt indies will like his positions on a wide range of issues.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/06/10/241830/top-10-thing-texas-gov-rick-perry/

AndChiefs
06-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Bring it on..... I doubt indies will like his positions on a wide range of issues.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/06/10/241830/top-10-thing-texas-gov-rick-perry/

I haven't read them all yet but I was struck by this statement.

Were Perry to have his way on Social Security, “the entire system would collapse under the weight of too many Social Security beneficiaries who had not paid into the system,” notes Ian Millhiser.

Isn't collapse exactly where Social Security is headed already?

Chocolate Hog
06-10-2011, 04:00 PM

Well he's a former Democrat that worked for Gore for starters....

In 2004 he started a state fund that gave 20 million to country wide financial

In 2006 supported a state franchise tax.

Thats just a few examples I think he's another George Bush like candidate really. If any gov. is going to throw their hat in the race I'd prefer Christie or Barbor.

Donger
06-10-2011, 04:01 PM

Thats just a few examples I think he's another George Bush like candidate really. If any gov. is going to throw their hat in the race I'd prefer Christie or Barbor.

You mean the guy who won two POTUS elections?

LiveSteam
06-10-2011, 04:02 PM
FUCK TEXAS !

Chocolate Hog
06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
You mean the guy who won two POTUS elections?

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? He was an awful president that was lucky enough to face some real shitty Democrats. Bush expanded the size of government we need someone who will shrink it.

Donger
06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
But Perry’s record isn’t all sweetness and light. Texas has some of the lowest high school graduation rates and highest poverty rates in the country. In 2009, he showed sympathy for Texans who wanted to secede from the United States, over the issue of federal mandates – a position that might play well with some conservatives but not with moderates.

It’s not clear that he really can appeal broadly to all segments of the Republican Party, including non-Christian conservatives, let alone win a general election.

Perry has sparked controversy with his recent call for a Christian gathering of prayer and fasting at Houston’s Reliant Stadium on Aug. 6. He has invited all US governors as well as “national Christian leaders,” according to the website of the event, called The Response.

"Right now, America is in crisis: we have been besieged by financial debt, terrorism, and a multitude of natural disasters,” Perry writes on The Response’s home page. “As a nation, we must come together and call upon Jesus to guide us through unprecedented struggles, and thank Him for the blessings of freedom we so richly enjoy."

So far, only one governor, Sam Brownback (R) of Kansas, has accepted and one governor has declined, Mitch Daniels (R) of Indiana.

Reactions by watchdog groups have been fierce. Americans United for Separation of Church and State sent a letter to Perry on Thursday, urging him to drop his sponsorship and promotion of the event. The Southern Poverty Law Center, a civil rights organization based in Montgomery, Ala., warns that one of the rally’s organizers, the American Family Association, engages in antigay activism.

But the biggest problem of all for Perry on the national stage might simply be that he’s the governor of Texas. Just as “Bush fatigue” might have discouraged former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush from jumping in this cycle, so too “Texas governor fatigue” may factor against Perry.

And if you close your eyes and listen to Perry speak, you might think it’s George W. Bush. The resemblance is almost uncanny.

Donger
06-10-2011, 04:04 PM
What the **** does that have to do with anything? He was an awful president that was lucky enough to face some real shitty Democrats. Bush expanded the size of government we need someone who will shrink it.

Just that Bush was elected twice. And, I wouldn't call Gore or Kerry "shitty Democrats" from an electability standpoint.

Chocolate Hog
06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Just that Bush was elected twice. And, I wouldn't call Gore or Kerry "shitty Democrats" from an electability standpoint.

Neither were close to the candidate Obama was. What I meant was Perry reminds me of Bush in terms of how he'd govern. I doubt he has the connections or money Bush had and I don't see how he wins over the indies. Sadly Romney might be the best in a general election :(

HonestChieffan
06-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Neither were close to the candidate Obama was. What I meant was Perry reminds me of Bush in terms of how he'd govern. I doubt he has the connections or money Bush had and I don't see how he wins over the indies. Sadly Romney might be the best in a general election :(

What makes you draw that parallel?

Chocolate Hog
06-10-2011, 04:28 PM
What makes you draw that parallel?

What Perry & Bush? Or Romney being the best shot to beat Obama?

BucEyedPea
06-10-2011, 04:56 PM
I smell fear.

By the Establishment. He's not a real true Tea Partier either. He couldn't be and gain Establishment support.

BucEyedPea
06-10-2011, 04:57 PM

"cause the choices sucked! Exit polls showed some mixed feelings about him even by those who voted.

HonestChieffan
06-10-2011, 05:00 PM
What Perry & Bush? Or Romney being the best shot to beat Obama?

Perry and Bush

Chocolate Hog
06-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Perry and Bush

Well like Dongers article pointed out they sound very similar speaking wise and Rick Perry looks related to George Bush. Aside from that I'd imagine if Perry enters the race he will be the same exact candidate Bush was in the 2000 primaries. Like I stated earlier Perry's somewhat of a fake conservative as was Bush both are very religious (see Perry's call to prayer. I imagine if Perry gets the nomination you will hear the samethings from Dems as last time comparing the Republican candidate to Bush.

HonestChieffan
06-10-2011, 05:19 PM
OK.

So if he has a speech pattern similar, he will govern similar. And you see a familial resemblance. And they both go to church.

Thats pretty deep.

Chocolate Hog
06-10-2011, 05:33 PM
OK.

So if he has a speech pattern similar, he will govern similar. And you see a familial resemblance. And they both go to church.

Thats pretty deep.

Where in the fuck did you get that I said they govern similar because they speak similar? Try to not blow things out of proportion champ.

HonestChieffan
06-10-2011, 05:36 PM

I guess the bolded part made me think you said he would govern like Bush.

PunkinDrublic
06-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Perry is a complete fucking scumbag who I wouldn't wish on the rest of the nation. But with that being said the guy is a shrewd politician who could unite a lot of people on the right. I used to think there was no way he could win because Texas is so far to the right of most rational thinking Americans, but as the Republicans get crazier and crazier by the day I think he would fit right in. Interesting fact not brought up. Dubya actually endorsed Kay Bailey Hutchinson in the Republican primary for gov over Perry.

fan4ever
06-10-2011, 06:28 PM

That's the operative phrase "Obama was"...I believe anyone with half a clue could beat Obama now that he has this train wreck of a record to defend. This guy, or any guy, may not be everyones' answer, but considering the alternative...?

I'm amazed libs feel so secure...but then again, I've never understood their "thought" processes to begin with.

Chocolate Hog
06-10-2011, 06:32 PM
That's the operative phrase "Obama was"...I believe anyone with half a clue could beat Obama now that he has this train wreck of a record to defend. This guy, or any guy, may not be everyones' answer, but considering the alternative...?

I'm amazed libs feel so secure...but then again, I've never understood their "thought" processes to begin with.

Still is. Great speaker and will have hundreds of millions on hand. The question is have the Republicans changed the electoral map enough?

fan4ever
06-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Still is. Great speaker and will have hundreds of millions on hand. The question is have the Republicans changed the electoral map enough?

His billion dollar war chest won't put people back to work or stem inflation or make the housing market recover. Propaganda is effective, but not fool proof.

And I think "great reader" is a better description...and I think his schtick is getting very old. Kind of like "don't crap in my mouth and call it a sundae".

HonestChieffan
06-10-2011, 06:50 PM
His billion dollar war chest won't put people back to work or stem inflation or make the housing market recover. Propaganda is effective, but not fool proof.

And I think "great reader" is a better description...and I think his schtick is getting very old. Kind of like "don't crap in my mouth and call it a sundae".

He does not need to be very smart or very good to fool the vast majority of his fan base. Just look how many people are still defending his total washout. Pretty sad but that is how it is.

BucEyedPea
06-10-2011, 06:54 PM

Anyone, who is backed by the GOP Establishment is a Bush-like candidate—the man who got Obama elected after his two terms in office.

ChiefaRoo
06-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Perry is a complete ****ing scumbag who I wouldn't wish on the rest of the nation. But with that being said the guy is a shrewd politician who could unite a lot of people on the right. I used to think there was no way he could win because Texas is so far to the right of most rational thinking Americans, but as the Republicans get crazier and crazier by the day I think he would fit right in. Interesting fact not brought up. Dubya actually endorsed Kay Bailey Hutchinson in the Republican primary for gov over Perry.

As a Kansan living in TX I'll say this. Hate on the sports teams, cultural stereotypes and such all you want but Texas is an economic oasis in the desert that is the US economy. Job growth, housing, personal and corporate tax policy all show that Texas has a good model. Texas has taken a hit like the rest of he country but it's also leading the way out of this mess while California is in disarray by comparison.

Before one if you guys throws up the deficit remember Texas has a balanced budget amendment and at the end of the day the books will balance.

Fishpicker
06-11-2011, 02:02 AM
Perry is the guy that mandated the Gardasil vaccine for 12 year old girls by executive order. I'm surprised he gets support from Christians the way he does. I like that he supported secessionists and I hope he still feels the same way if he ever takes federal office.

fan4ever
06-11-2011, 02:11 AM
He does not need to be very smart or very good to fool the vast majority of his fan base. Just look how many people are still defending his total washout. Pretty sad but that is how it is.

We talk to the koolaid drinkers here. Makes it seem like he's a sure thing. Truth is, even his most loyal base has to be feeling the pain; not just the economy, but on what he didn't deliver. I've got a number of liberal friends who think he's another Bush war monger. He didn't win by giganitc margins...he's in trouble, but I'd love for him, and everyone associated, to think otherwise.

Direckshun
06-11-2011, 11:34 AM
I think he'd be unbeatable in the Republican primaries as they stand now, should he enter.

He'd be pretty vulnerable in a general election, though. But probably just as vulnerable as Obama during a slow recovery to the recession.

It'd be an interesting race.

fan4ever
06-11-2011, 12:06 PM
I think he'd be unbeatable in the Republican primaries as they stand now, should he enter.

He'd be pretty vulnerable in a general election, though. But probably just as vulnerable as Obama during a slow recovery to the recession.

It'd be an interesting race.

:clap:

Deberg_1990
06-11-2011, 12:45 PM
It would be an absolutely brutal election if Perry won the Repub nom.

There is no love lost between Perry and Obama. Alot of Texas politicians have accused Obama of having an Anti-Texas bias because he didnt support Texas with Wild Fire and Education money.

Would be a very interesting race.

Perry and Romney would probably make a nice running team come to think of it. Strong Southern vote combined with a strong Northeast vote.

Chiefshrink
06-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Don't know much about Perry either. I heard Rush on Friday say that Perry supported in state college tuition for children of "illegals" born here. This will not make true conservatives happy(Mwah-Me)

To know he was a former Dem as late as 2004 supporting Gore is not a good sign. Is this guy a true conservative???

Is it possible Perry has a had a "Political Road to Damascus" experience and now is a true conservative?

Remains to be seen.

PunkinDrublic
06-11-2011, 03:03 PM
It would be an absolutely brutal election if Perry won the Repub nom.

There is no love lost between Perry and Obama. Alot of Texas politicians have accused Obama of having an Anti-Texas bias because he didnt support Texas with Wild Fire and Education money.

Would be a very interesting race.

Perry and Romney would probably make a nice running team come to think of it. Strong Southern vote combined with a strong Northeast vote.

That's because Texas republicans are RWNJs

RedNeckRaider
06-11-2011, 04:18 PM
I know very little about the guy. From what I have read he was Al Gores Texas Chairman. He had a parting of ways with Gore and added this parting shot recently: Late last year, Perry revisited his disagreement with Gore over man’s impact on global warming. Suggesting he'd seen the light on the climate issue while Gore had drifted into darker territory, Perry joked: "I certainly got religion. I think he's gone to hell."

He also said about switching parties:"Going through that (Gore experience) was part of what started me through the process of changing parties in 1989," Perry said. "I came to my senses."

There also seems to be some speculation about his sexuality and a scandal cover up. Somewhere in my search I drifted to "Is Rick Perry gay?"links.

He seems to be quite the Bible thumper. I am pretty early in my search but have yet to find anything that puts me on his band wagon other than he is not Barry. That said everyone running against Barry has that going for them in my book~

BucEyedPea
06-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Don't know much about Perry either. I heard Rush on Friday say that Perry supported in state college tuition for children of "illegals" born here. This will not make true conservatives happy(Mwah-Me).

Huckabee did that too. He was still favored by Evangelicals.

BucEyedPea
06-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Perry is the guy that mandated the Gardasil vaccine for 12 year old girls by executive order. I'm surprised he gets support from Christians the way he does. I like that he supported secessionists and I hope he still feels the same way if he ever takes federal office.

Did he? I see he's for creating markets for pharmaceutical and medical industry. Yeah, a pro-business Republican by curbing the choice and liberty of American parents.
Yeah, limited govt knows what's best for each of us like this guy.

Calcountry
06-11-2011, 05:22 PM

It's the economy, stupid.

Calcountry
06-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Huckabee did that too. He was still favored by Evangelicals.You, all I really give a crap about, is who the Muslims favor.

BucEyedPea
06-11-2011, 06:11 PM
You, all I really give a crap about, is who the Muslims favor.

Then you should be happy with Obama doing Libya now. I could care less about Muslim hysteria. It distorts the threat to impower the state.

Fishpicker
06-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Did he? I see he's for creating markets for pharmaceutical and medical industry. Yeah, a pro-business Republican by curbing the choice and liberty of American parents.
Yeah, limited govt knows what's best for each of us like this guy.

yep. luckily he ticked off the state legislature when he bypassed them and they voted to get rid of that mandate 60 days later. veto proofed by the overwhelming majority voting that way.

BucEyedPea
06-11-2011, 08:58 PM
yep. luckily he ticked off the state legislature when he bypassed them and they voted to get rid of that mandate 60 days later. veto proofed by the overwhelming majority voting that way.

So he bypassed the legislature too. Sounds like Obama who has been looking for a way to raise the debt ceiling without Congress. This is what the GOP wants to push on us? :deevee:

banyon
06-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I agree with the political take in this thread, but has Perry actually done anything as governor of TX to merit this kind of consideration?

Monty
06-11-2011, 10:04 PM
My only vantage point is that he appointed the Judge who sent my kids out of state during the custody dispute a few of you know about. It cost me big time to get that decision reversed. He's dead to me.

With that being said the Republicans don't have a lot to offer right now, so it may work, but I'll never vote for him.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 12:13 AM
A swaggering cowboy with a set of balls and a six gun is a winning formula in US Presidential elections.

Yeah, 2000-2008 was great for America.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 12:16 AM

Mediocre is too kind. The guy is a secessionist. Great resume feature for someone running for POTUS.

ClevelandBronco
06-12-2011, 12:18 AM
2000 was pretty fucked up.

Yes, it is a measure of how far we've fallen that 2001–2006 were the good old days.

RedNeckRaider
06-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Yeah, 2000-2008 was great for America.

I would take it over 2008- to now and it is way past blaming it all on the people before Barry. He has taken a bad situation and done everything under the sun to make it worse~

HonestChieffan
06-12-2011, 10:03 AM
I would take it over 2008- to now and it is way past blaming it all on the people before Barry. He has taken a bad situation and done everything under the sun to make it worse~

Proof he is actually good at something.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 10:12 AM

I was not talking about today. I was talking about once upon a time when we did have a POTUS who was a "swaggering cowboy with a set of balls and a six gun" as vailpass put it.

But feel free to turn it into your "I-hate-Obama" thing.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Proof he is actually good at something.

See above. :rolleyes:

RedNeckRaider
06-12-2011, 10:18 AM
I was not talking about today. I was talking about once upon a time when we did have a POTUS who was a "swaggering cowboy with a set of balls and a six gun" as vailpass put it.

But feel free to turn it into your "I-hate-Obama" thing.

Just making an observation~

Frankie
06-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Just making an observation~

A redundant one, don't you think? Look, I have my share of disappointments with Obama, but I would not allow Repubs sweep 8 years of Bush under the "Obama is incompetent" rug.

The devastation forced on this nation while Cheney and his CEO friends got richer on Iraq and other stuff is downright treason in my book. You and I are left to pay for their new yachts and gold plated bathroom seats while the current POTUS (whoever he/she would have been) is blamed.

As I said many times no matter who the following POTUS would have been he/she would have been painted a failure in his/her first term. I said all this BEFORE the election and I see no reason to deviate fro that stand. Obama's 2nd term is the measure of his competence or lack there-of in my book.

Donger
06-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Mediocre is too kind. The guy is a secessionist. Great resume feature for someone running for POTUS.

Meh. He's a Texan. They are a little different to begin with?

teedubya
06-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Perry was at the Bilderberg meeting last year... so don't be surprised if he is the Rep nominee. That's how they roll.

RedNeckRaider
06-12-2011, 12:35 PM
A redundant one, don't you think? Look, I have my share of disappointments with Obama, but I would not allow Repubs sweep 8 years of Bush under the "Obama is incompetent" rug.

The devastation forced on this nation while Cheney and his CEO friends got richer on Iraq and other stuff is downright treason in my book. You and I are left to pay for their new yachts and gold plated bathroom seats while the current POTUS (whoever he/she would have been) is blamed.

As I said many times no matter who the following POTUS would have been he/she would have been painted a failure in his/her first term. I said all this BEFORE the election and I see no reason to deviate fro that stand. Obama's 2nd term is the measure of his competence or lack there-of in my book.

Bulllllllllllshit my friend this blame it on Bush game was fine for a while. His inept leadership and asinine choices have be proven to be failures. Your logic would allow me to drive someone's car with a dented fender and after running a stop sign and totaling it I would just tell the guy don't blame me it was wrecked when I got it~

Frankie
06-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Bulllllllllllshit my friend this blame it on Bush game was fine for a while. His inept leadership and asinine choices have be proven to be failures. Your logic would allow me to drive someone's car with a dented fender and after running a stop sign and totaling it I would just tell the guy don't blame me it was wrecked when I got it~

-We are going to have to agree to disagree until BO's next term.

-BTW your analogy that compares the Bush devastation to a dent is way off IMO.

-Do you really think the Republicans' pathetic, childish, "we-disagree-with-everything-BO-tries" strategy has not contributed to things not getting better? Do you think the extension of Bush tax cuts for the rich has helped? Why don't you think it has deprived us from much needed revenue to rebuild this economy? Again, I have my share of problems with some of Obama's choices, but COME ON!!!

RedNeckRaider
06-12-2011, 01:12 PM
-We are going to have to agree to disagree until BO's next term.

-BTW your analogy that compares the Bush devastation to a dent is way off IMO.

-Do you really think the Republicans' pathetic, childish, "we-disagree-with-everything-BO-tries" strategy has not contributed to things not getting better? Do you think the extension of Bush tax cuts for the rich has helped? Why don't you think it has deprived us from much needed revenue to rebuild this economy? Again, I have my share of problems with some of Obama's choices, but COME ON!!!

Ok the fender and door and hood. That still does not get me off the hook for totaling the car. I sure as hell hope people come to there senses and do not allow the guy who is clearly above his head another 4 years. He is such a failure I would most likely vote for any of the Republicans right now~

Mr. Kotter
06-12-2011, 01:14 PM
He's certainly at least SOMEONE from the right, who could make waves. Time will tell.

If he goes full-blown tea party though, he'll be dead in the water.

ChiefaRoo
06-12-2011, 01:36 PM
That whole secession thing was only thrown out to get to the right of Kay Bailey Hutchinson in case she ran against him. It was only a trial balloon to stoke Texas' Republic independence. It was a serious idea.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 04:03 PM
That whole secession thing was only thrown out to get to the right of Kay Bailey Hutchinson in case she ran against him. It was only a trial balloon to stoke Texas' Republic independence. It was a serious idea.

It'll come to bite him in the ass if he'll run for POTUS.

Donger
06-12-2011, 04:26 PM
It'll come to bite him in the ass if he'll run for POTUS.

With who? Democrats aren't going to vote for him, period. Republicans will. The Tea Party folks love that kind of stuff. I can see some Indies not liking it, but some will. I don't see it as a problem.

Frankie
06-12-2011, 04:58 PM
With who? Democrats aren't going to vote for him, period. Republicans will. The Tea Party folks love that kind of stuff. I can see some Indies not liking it, but some will. I don't see it as a problem.

Indies are the crucial block and most of them IMO won't like it.

Mr. Kotter
06-12-2011, 05:08 PM

Most Indies don't like extremism--from either side. Not saying I think Perry is extremist...but secessionist rhetoric is--and it won't help him. The question is how badly will it hurt him. Despite what Goldwater said, extremism, even in defense of some twisted sense of "liberty," can be a vice.

Chocolate Hog
06-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Watch the idiots get upset with Perry if he signs the anti-tsa bill. The mushy middle is the most dangerous group of voters in America.

Mr. Kotter
06-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Watch the idiots get upset with Perry if he signs the anti-tsa bill. The mushy middle is the most dangerous group of voters in America.

Dangerous for extremist kooks? You bet your ass we are.

"Mushy middle" is nothing more than a pejorative wielded by dogmatic eologues who don't understand the role consensus and compromise in a republic.

Chocolate Hog
06-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Dangerous for extremist kooks? You bet your ass we are.

"Mushy middle" is nothing more than a pejorative wielded by dogmatic eologues who don't understand the role consensus and compromise in a republic.

The people in the "middle" do not want to make any necessary cuts.

Mr. Kotter
06-12-2011, 06:05 PM
The people in the "middle" do not want to make any necessary cuts.

Funny how no one wants "their" stuff messed with. Extremists don't want to cut their progams and services (subsidies, incentives, and special interest and corporate welfare,) either.

The difference is those in the middle understand we can't keep trying to balance the budget and pay the debt with monopoly money; it's gonna take serious tax reform, along with targeted cuts and reforms of entitlement programs to fix the mess. The kooks don't seem to understand fixing spending issues, requires serious attention to BOTH sides of the ledger.

Chocolate Hog
06-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Funny how no one wants "their" stuff messed with. Extremists don't want to cut their progams and services (subsidies, incentives, and special interest and corporate welfare,) either.

The difference is those in the middle understand we can't keep trying to balance the budget and pay the debt with monopoly money; it's gonna take serious tax reform, along with targeted cuts and reforms of entitlement programs to fix the mess. The kooks don't seem to understand fixing spending issues, requires serious attention to BOTH sides of the ledger.

Then we must view kooks differently because I've been called a kook on here numerous time when you just advocated what I support: Fix the tax code so we know what rules to play by then work towards a more balanced budget and tax creation. You will have to cut in every area to achieve this though and thats where most disagree with me I guess.

go bowe
06-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Then we must view kooks differently because I've been called a kook on here numerous time when you just advocated what I support: Fix the tax code so we know what rules to play by then work towards a more balanced budget and tax creation. You will have to cut in every area to achieve this though and thats where most disagree with me I guess.

every area?

fewer border patrol agents?

fewer troops to defend our interests?

less regulation and inspection of food supplies?

fewer prisons operated?

cut every area?

are you sure that's a good idea?

Chocolate Hog
06-12-2011, 11:20 PM
every area?

fewer border patrol agents?

fewer troops to defend our interests?

less regulation and inspection of food supplies?

fewer prisons operated?

cut every area?

are you sure that's a good idea?

LMAO SCARE TACTICS!!!!!!

Mr. Kotter
06-13-2011, 07:00 AM
LMAO SCARE TACTICS!!!!!!

:spock:

Scare tactics? You are the one who said "every area."

Across the board cuts sound great, because they don't require work. It's a half-assed approach to fixing the budget. The fact is, it's the lazy man's way out--because you don't have to prioritize, or make tough decisions. Another fact is, not all spending is the same.

Some spending is more vital than other--but it's politically difficult to agree on those priorities, which is why we are in the mess we are in. Because no one wants to be adult about it, and make those tough decisions. The only way out of this, is for BOTH parties to grow up and bite the bullet. Yet, both parties unwilling to do that at this point.

Ace Gunner
06-13-2011, 08:29 AM
rick perry is more of the same garbage. you want balls? look between your legs

Chocolate Hog
06-13-2011, 01:39 PM
:spock:

Scare tactics? You are the one who said "every area."

Across the board cuts sound great, because they don't require work. It's a half-assed approach to fixing the budget. The fact is, it's the lazy man's way out--because you don't have to prioritize, or make tough decisions. Another fact is, not all spending is the same.

Some spending is more vital than other--but it's politically difficult to agree on those priorities, which is why we are in the mess we are in. Because no one wants to be adult about it, and make those tough decisions. The only way out of this, is for BOTH parties to grow up and bite the bullet. Yet, both parties unwilling to do that at this point.

Wow. You're really clueless about the debt.

No it's all scare tactics. Across the board cuts don't mean all those things for example: Cutting defense wouldn't necessarily mean less troops. The problem isn't the number of troops it's the layers of bureaucracy that could be cut in that respected field of spending.

KC native
06-13-2011, 01:57 PM
:rolleyes: Are the repugs really so desperate that a man like Perry is a viable national candidate to them? Note the paragraphs about Roe v Wade and the stem cells.

(Reuters) - Texas Governor Rick Perry, viewed as a potential 2012 Republican presidential candidate, ventured far from his home state on Sunday to address a largely Hispanic group at an anti-abortion rally in Los Angeles.

The governor's English-language remarks to a crowd of about 5,000 came as part of a daylong, mostly Spanish-language event at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena to raise money for a new women's health center in South Los Angeles.

He urged the crowd to keep up pressure to roll back the landmark 1973 Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion until "Roe v. Wade is nothing but a shameful footnote in our nation's history books.

Perry, a frequent critic of the federal government, also bashed President Barack Obama for his administration's policy allowing federal funding of embryonic stem cell research, saying he was deeply disturbed by studies that turn "the remains of unborn children into nothing more than raw material."

Since Roe v. Wade, Perry said, "50 million children have lost their chance at life -- a tragic legacy of judicial activism and a stark reminder that our culture and our country are still in peril."

Perry, the longest-serving governor in Texas history, has said that he will "think about" running for president. Last week, news that two of Perry's former campaign advisors had resigned from former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich's campaign fueled speculation that Perry would indeed run.

Sunday's event, where Perry received a standing ovation, was a chance for him to highlight his conservative credentials outside Texas.

He talked about state legislation he recently signed into law that requires women seeking an abortion to first obtain a sonogram. He had designated the bill an emergency, putting it on the fast track during this year's legislative session.

"There is no such thing as an unwanted child in the eyes of God," said Perry, who has invited the nation's governors to Houston this summer for a prayer event.

Perry criticized Obama for overturning a policy that prevented U.S. funding of organizations that perform or promote abortions in foreign countries.

"With the stroke of a pen, abortion essentially became a U.S. foreign export," Perry said.

Perry was joined on Sunday by Mexican-born movie actor Eduardo Verastegui, whose nonprofit organization co-sponsored the event, and by soap opera star Veronica Castro.

"After he found out about this event, he said he really wanted to unite himself to anything we were doing to end abortion," Verastegui said of Perry.

The event was not Perry's only appearance outside the Lone Star state this month. He is slated to speak on Tuesday at a Republican dinner in New York, replacing real estate tycoon and reality TV star Donald Trump, who had originally been scheduled to speak. Perry also plans to appear on Saturday at the Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans.

Jaric
06-13-2011, 05:15 PM
:rolleyes: Are the repugs really so desperate that a man like Perry is a viable national candidate to them? Note the paragraphs about Roe v Wade and the stem cells.

What am I missing?

Listen, simply being against abortions doesn't make a person crazy. I realize there are some anti-abortionists that act crazy, but it's not fair to paint all of them that way.

And besides, based on his view of abortion, that sort of talk is warranted. If the US was killing (however many abortions we've had) kids after they were born I would assume you'd have some strong language to describe that practice? Well as far as they are concerned that's exactly what is happening.

The issue here is that we all cloud our reactions to the subject based on our own personal opinions. For someone who believes that life begins at conception, aborting that pregnancy is no different than killing a child. For someone who doesn't believe it begins at conception, they won't view it that way.

But that's the issue. When does life begin? And depending on how each person answers that question will depend on if they think someone else's view on the subject is crazy or not.

KC native
06-13-2011, 09:11 PM
What am I missing?

Listen, simply being against abortions doesn't make a person crazy. I realize there are some anti-abortionists that act crazy, but it's not fair to paint all of them that way.

And besides, based on his view of abortion, that sort of talk is warranted. If the US was killing (however many abortions we've had) kids after they were born I would assume you'd have some strong language to describe that practice? Well as far as they are concerned that's exactly what is happening.

The issue here is that we all cloud our reactions to the subject based on our own personal opinions. For someone who believes that life begins at conception, aborting that pregnancy is no different than killing a child. For someone who doesn't believe it begins at conception, they won't view it that way.

But that's the issue. When does life begin? And depending on how each person answers that question will depend on if they think someone else's view on the subject is crazy or not.

No being against abortion doesn't make someone crazy, however Roe v Wade isn't going to be overturned.

HonestChieffan
06-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Why do we fund abortions in other countries?

banyon
06-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Why do we fund abortions in other countries?

We don't.

HonestChieffan
06-13-2011, 09:46 PM
We don't?

ClevelandBronco
06-13-2011, 10:36 PM
We don't?

MSNBC seemed to think that Pres. Omammy cleared the way to do it in 2009 shortly after he took over. Perhaps he's reversed his reversal since then. This is an old story.

Obama reverses abortion-funds policy
Bush policy banned U.S. funds for groups that promote or perform abortion

updated 1/23/2009 4:48:02 PM ET

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama on Friday struck down the Bush administration's ban on giving federal money to international groups that perform abortions or provide abortion information — an inflammatory policy that has bounced in and out of law for the past quarter-century.

Liberal groups welcomed the decision while abortion-rights foes criticized the president. Known as the "Mexico City policy," the ban has been reinstated and then reversed by Republican and Democratic presidents since GOP President Ronald Reagan established it in 1984. Democrat Bill Clinton ended the ban in 1993, but Republican George W. Bush re-instituted it in 2001 as one of his first acts in office.

Obama issued the presidential memorandum rescinding the Bush policy without coverage by the media, late Friday afternoon — a contrast to the televised coverage of Obama's announcement Wednesday on ethics rules and Thursday's signing of orders on closing the Guantanamo Bay prison camp and banning torture in the questioning of terror suspects.

More here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28812519/ns/politics-white_house/t/obama-reverses-abortion-funds-policy/

ClevelandBronco
06-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Whew! Glad to hear that Guantanamo has closed down, eh?

Chocolate Hog
06-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Whew! Glad to hear that Guantanamo has closed down, eh?

And the economy has recovered!

ClevelandBronco
06-13-2011, 10:50 PM
And the economy has recovered!

Reelection is assured. You may now resume Dancing in the Street, Martha and the Vandellas style. None of that David Bowie and Mick Jagger shit.

banyon
06-13-2011, 10:52 PM
We don't?

Why don't you show how we do, since it was your claim and all.